Sports

Utah Utes football: California prep tight end to sign with Utah

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:08 a.m.

@hailstorm

Have you ever lived anywhere else in your life? I spent my childhood moving back and forth between San Jose and Las Vegas as my Dad was in the restaraunt business and owned restaraunts in both city's. We moved to Provo as I entered high school. There you go that's my life history.

I love that there are now more utah "fan" posts directed at me than there are about the actual article. It simply shows that when utah "fans" have nothing of substance to refute me with they resort to personal replies.

LOL!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:51 p.m.

@Duckhunter
    "I'm from vegas"
    I thought that you were from Palo Alto, and grew up near the Cal. campus ?... no wait,... one of your parents was on the BYU faculty for 30 years.. no wait you went to Utah Valley College... no wait you went to the Y,... no wait.. you were in Tulsa during the beat down Sept 17th.. no wait you were at the game,.. but had no WI-Fi in Tulsa.
    And you call the Utes fan dishonest and hypocrites ?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Top 10 signs your program is going "down hill":

10- The best keepsake you have is a closet full of t-shirts with unfulfilled catch phrases
    9- Robert Anae is the only caoch you have anyone nationally cares about - woops, he was let go by Bronco
    8- Your sole 2008 4 star recruit now plays for your bitter rival (ouch!)
    7- Your highest profile recruit in a decade is now redshirting for Charlie Weiss!
    6- Your HUGE scheduling news: home and home with .... East Carolina??
    5- 10-3 record with a strength of schedule hovering at 100
    4- Dwindling players in the NFL - no Pro Bowler since ..... when??
    3- November schedule, or lack thereof (byes are your toughest opponents??)
    2- BADLY losing in state recruiting to bitterest of rivals
    1- ESPN thinks your coach's name is Roscoe!!

Great to be a Ute!!

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:41 p.m.

@Duckman
    Geez you wont quit I give you that, I havent been on the DN borads for months but without Utes fans still have there resident troll.
    Like people have said before Coach Whitt develops his players, if he has the the size, athletic ability, and he is coachable he will do well for the Utes.

• Close Talker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 9:04 p.m.

It's great to see the Utes continue to get the recruits they want. Utes all the way.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Jan. 25, 2012 8:50 p.m.

Duckhunter | 4:44 p.m. Jan. 25, 2012
    Highland, UT
    @chewie

Does "down hill slide" mean finishing ranked in the top 25 for 5 of the last 6 years? If so it has been a pretty nice slide.

Or does it mean losing to the worst team in d1, at home, and finishing with a losing record in conference? If so then you must really be enjoying it as well.

LOL!

At least they belong to a conference. No conference will take BYU. We have already snubbed opportunities.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 4:44 p.m.

@chewie

LOL!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 25, 2012 4:23 p.m.

@Ducky - I have lived many places in my life, including a South Pacific nation and in South America. In the United States, I have lived in places from Portland, Oregon to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. The one thing I have found to be true is - the place you live in is what YOU make of it. I have the choice to live where I want and I choose here for many, many reasons. The fact that you think it is a hole just reaffirms the fact that I made the correct choice. If I ever leave here, the ONLY place I will NEVER move to is Utah County!! (and I have two brothers that live there)

Anyway - thanks for playing! You are truly entertaining!!

"Ducky - a prime example of bYu fan obsessed with Utah!!"

Go Utes!! Go Crimson!! Viva Las Vegas!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 3:22 p.m.

@chewie

Don't worry about me. Keep it coming. Nothing a utah "fan" posts is anything more than entertainment for me.

You gonna watch the utes play basketball on tv this week? Oh wait, they aren't on tv this week, or ever. Probably for the best.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 3:20 p.m.

@vegasute

I'm from vegas. Almost all of my family still lives there. Glad my parents got us out of there when they did. It's a hole.

• Bubble Boy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 3:09 p.m.

I would just like to remind you all that we cuogar fans are not holier than thou! We are not delusional! And we are not obsessed with the Utes!

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Be gentle with Ducky. His team has been on a down hill slide for more than a decade now, while the Utes have been on a meteoric rise. It's been heartbreaking for him.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 3:01 p.m.

Don't be too hard on Ducky. He's a tender little fellow. He used to be a really nice guy before Ute fans picked on him and turned him into a bitter cougar.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 25, 2012 1:45 p.m.

@Ducky: Someone who lives in Utah County mocking where someone else lives?? That is rich! You only wish you could handle Vegas!! Proud resident of Vegas and proud graduate of THE University of Utah and member of the Crimson Club! I don't have to go to the blue websites and mock other fans to make myself feel better. I just have to go onto Utah stories and laugh at the silliness of bYu apologists and their Ute envy.

As I said before: Ducky - a prime example of bYu fan obsessed with Utah!!

It is indeed great to be a Ute!! Onward and Upward!!

• daddman54 FARMINGTON, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:51 p.m.

It isn't a victory if you have to proclaim it yourself.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:56 p.m.

@vegasute

Is that what you tell yourself when you are trying to forget you live in Las Vegas? A word of advice, neither is anything worth bragging about.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:47 p.m.

Ducky - a prime example of bYu fan obsessed with Utah!!

In Ducky's words - "LOL"

It's great to be a Ute!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:31 p.m.

Another thread full of win!

LOL!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:59 p.m.

@54-10 its hilarious everyone comes on here and owns duckhunter but because he hides behind a computer screen he keeps comin back and makin up stuff ppl said. LOL!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:37 p.m.

@ Duckhunter | 5:31 p.m. Jan. 24, 2012
    Highland, UT

Need a tissue?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:31 p.m.

At all the utah "fans"

"seldom" does not mean never, or "didn't" or anything other than "seldom". And of course I don't comment on the quality of recruits, but I love to comment on the hyposcrisy and ridiculousness of utah "fans" on recruiting articles. Still haven't commented anything about the recruit himself or what sort of player he might be, I have no idea and neither do any of you.

@54-10 aka kosta, duckhunted, articuno, etc.

I said many times I left for Tulsa the day following the BYU/utah game and returned on Wednesday (actually late Tuesday night). You know this but your dishonesty continues to show through. I don't really mind as it is simply another fine example of the quality of individual that constitues the average utah "fan".

LOL!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:49 p.m.

@ UU32 | 4:32 p.m. Jan. 24, 2012
    Bountiful, UT

You caught Ducky in another "less than truthful" statement. Kind of like the "I was in Tulsa for a week during and after the 54-10 debacle at LES". He later posted that he WAS at the game.

Typical Duckhunter.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Duckhunter - I thought you didn't comment on recruits?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:07 p.m.

Duck "I don't comment on recruits, because no one knows how they will turn out" Hunter:

Yes, hypocrisy is fun to observe, isn't it?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:57 p.m.

@chicagoborn

"If I were a BYU fan I would be obsessed with Utah too."

True, true! Just look at Ducky Hunter for proof of that!!

Go Utes!! It is great to be a Ute ... and RELEVANT!!

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:33 p.m.

@KamUte
    I though that was pretty obvious. Can't blame the Troll and Feather though. If I were a BYU fan I would be obsessed with Utah too.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:23 p.m.

I'm sure he is just another 'should've been a 5 star' overlooked by everyone but Whittingham and New Mexico.

utah "fans" hypocritical since......forever.

LOL!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:21 p.m.

Drum and Feather is not a Utah fan.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2012 1:42 p.m.

Besides - Utah doesn't need to recruit 4 star tight ends, we just wait until they come back from their missions and leave bYu!

Go Utes!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Welcome to the family Mia!! We can't wait to see what a year of filling out and weight training does for you!!

The fact that private schools were "recruiting" him for his senior year tells me a lot about his talent and his potential. The fact that he didn't sell out and stayed with his high school team tells me a lot about his character! That he earned all-California team honors with that high school team is just a bonus.

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

• BigUtahFan BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:54 a.m.

It's amazing that Utah can get a 2 star stud TE to gray shirt. How far Utah has come from begging 2 star guys to letting them gray shirt. This kid is 6'6"? Wow, he will be rocking LB's trying to cover him. No one will be able to cover him in the secondary.

Welcome to Utah Jeremiah!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:26 a.m.

I will repeat the same comment for all posters complaining he is only 2 stars, not highly recruited, filling out the class; etc.

The kid is going to be a gray shirt. He will not be on scholarship and not count against the scholarship limit at this time. He wants to play at Utah and is willing to pay his own way. How can you find a down side in that?

• Drum and Feather Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:11 a.m.

It appears one of the no star Allen kids that committed last week has decommitted and changed his committment to Kansas. Is this a bad thing or not?

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:53 a.m.

I looked at his video and he does use that height to his advantage and he can stretch for the first down.
    Check him out.
    I think that he is another good find from the coaches.
    This is a good class the coaches have put together. I'm happy to see that academics played a strong role in some of the recruits decisions.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:46 a.m.

It's true, he wasn't widely recruited and we only beat out some minor programs to get him, but I have enough faith in Coach Whit that if he says a kid might turn into a good tight end, that kid will become a good tight end in our program. This guy has pounds to put on and years to grow, but Rogers, Moeai and Jake Murphy ahead of him. He will learn. Good luck to him!

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:28 p.m.

@ Drum and Feather

The nice thing about the Utah coaching staff is that even if this kid was a two star recruit, they would develop his talent so that he ends up being a 3 and a half to four star athlete. That being said, go watch some highlights of the kid. He is a very good pass catcher, has a knack for getting open, and almost never goes down on the first hit. Looks like another good pick up for the Utes!

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:25 p.m.

i've said it a few times... star ratings mean nothing.

i invite everyone to google "eric weddle rivals"

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:06 p.m.

Troll and Feather, Rivals has "heard of him" (he is listed as Mia Valoaga), but has not yet rated him.

• MN Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:02 p.m.

@Drum and Feather,
    I don't think this is a move to fill out the depth chart. Like the article says, he only had 972 yards and five touchdowns. That's what probably got him the bad rankings. However, his senior year seems to indicate that the kid can play, getting 787 yards and eight touchdowns on top of being a good defensive linemen.

Like most sites say, stars are mainly indicators of how ready the kids are to play at a collegiate level. However, we currently have great tight ends who will be seniors next year, Moeai and Rogers. That should give this kid a good amount of time to bulk up and develop before we need him in two years.

Just remember the one thing when talking about the two stars. Stars don't mean squat if you can't develop them, and the reason many sites agree that Whit is one of the best coaches out there is that he gets the absolute most out of his players. So, I'm looking forward to seeing what he get's out of this 6'6 TE just as much as what he get's out of our new quarterbacks.

• Drum and Feather Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 8:57 p.m.

This kid is rated 2 star by Scout and Rivals has never even heard of him. I wonder of we are just trying to fill out the class with anything we can get at this point.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 7:59 p.m.

I've heard the same thing about him grey shirting next year but he seems like a great athlete. Maybe coach K can use him on the basketball team while he is bulking up.

There are a lot of positives about this recruiting class, I just hope it all stays that way come signing day. The only surprises I want to hear about are a few high ranked players choosing the Utes over other schools.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Jan. 23, 2012 4:32 p.m.

If the reports are correct, he will 'gray shirt' his first year (basically pay his own way) and not count as a scholarship athlete. Seems like a great kid, lots of athletic ability, and a nice addition to the team.

• Proud Ute ,
    Jan. 23, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Congrats!
    Welcome to the best program in the state!

• Dand_Ute WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Great! Are we ever going to get a new OC?