Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Josh Watkins dismissed from team

Comments

• Mr.Reality Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Good for Coach K. He gave Josh a reasonable chance and Josh failed to take advantage of it in a postive way. I was not a fan of the selection of Larry Krystkociak as head coach. But he is doing some good things and I believe he has the team headed in the right direction. A lot of people predicted that the Utes would be not win a game in conference and might be one of the worst teams ever. They are far from being where they need to be, but I can see an additional 4-5 wins on the schedule and double figures in victories is a definite possibility. Good luck to all, including Jiggy.....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I'm not seeing how this was "courageous" or "brave" of krystkowiak. The truth is utah's basketball team sucks so having watkins gone isn't going to make any real difference, they'll still suck.

That said if the kid wasn't willing to follow the rules then I'll give krustkowiak the benefit of the doubt and assume he is doing what he thinks is best for his program. I just have to laugh at the "courageous" and "brave" comments. Ridiculous.

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 4:35 p.m.

Good job, Coach Kry. You gave the kid two chances to succeed and no player is above the team. It took guts to cut loose your highest scorer, but it had to be done. This is similar to the Davies situation. Both players knew what was expected, and they both initially fell short. After their second chances, Davies turned the situation around and Watkins did not. Kudos to both programs.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 19, 2012 1:41 p.m.

StGtoSLC

I'm still the same...but like Davies's situation last year this just isn't the time or place for going off half cocked.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 19, 2012 1:31 p.m.

MLH...
    Don't waste your breath on Ted H. He's more than amply already proven his insignificance alot better on his own than you I, or anyone else could.

To paraphrase Baseball's great Ted Williams... once speaking about a sports hack who continued ruthlessly belittling one of Williams teammates...I give you the following.

"Those who criticise and belittle those who possess great talent...obviously do so merely because they don't."

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 12:51 p.m.

mlh,

Why should I feel bad for Jigly? Let's review the facts: He has a great and free eductional opportunity. He has an impressive skill set. At best, he gets to play professional basketball. At worse, he gets a free education for simply playing hoops(and yes although a major committmeent, a committment many people love and would love to have).

How many people have such an amazing opportunity? Not many. The kid is asked to follow some pretty simple rules: go to class, do your homework, come to practice, don't get arrested.

If he can't follow those and loses potential future opportunities 100% due to his laziness or decision not to follow simple instructions, you better believe you won't find me feeling sorry for him.

Go Arizona!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 19, 2012 12:46 p.m.

It is good news that Utah has finally held a player to at least some standards. The team will get better and clearing the decks will open the way to get better players.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 12:27 p.m.

Ted H.

WOW, I hope you are not a grown man saying stuff like this. Get personal with fans, coaches, administration at Utah but to feel good about a 21 year old kid getting kicked off a team that is just pure hate and shows the lack of understanding of what college athletics is all about. I was lucky enough to play 4 years of college ball that helped me form what I am today. I don't wish this on any kid be it a Ute, Cougar, Aggie, or Wildcat. Keep hoping that the Utes keep geeting destroyed but remember all of these young athletes we get the plessure to watch are just kids also trying to form thier future. What kind of future does Jiggy have now?

bye bye Ted you're the man

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 11:34 a.m.

Looking forward to a big Arizona win tonight!

bye bye jigly

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 11:29 a.m.

A guy getting kicked off a team is never a good thing, regardless of who you're cheering for. Good luck overcoming this misfortune (they'll need all the luck they can get).

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 10:27 a.m.

ThomasJefferson

Classy Comment- Where's Stockton??? comments read them.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Slow recognition by Utah that recruiting character is as important as recruiting talent. By accepting a scholarship, Watkins represents the entire state of Utah, yes including local USU and BYU fans, not just his own person. Good on the coach.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 9:09 a.m.

stgslc,

Surely your feelings were similar to Where's Stockton??? after the Davies thing last year. I know you would never be so hypocritical.

I think it's funny jigly wigly is gone. I am so happy the utes are getting destroyed. I look forward to checking the scores tonight to see another ute beatdown! Go.....whoever utah is playing tonight!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Thank you, Stockton, one of the first times I've whole-heartedly agreed with every word of your comment. Sometimes there is a fine line between sports/entertainment issues and real life human issues. Sometimes it's worth taking a step back and seeing something from the perspective of a parent, teammate or close friend, instead of someone who just checks the scores on Thursday and Saturday nights.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 19, 2012 6:34 a.m.

@Cali Coug...etal...

None of us out here on the outer circle should be pointing fingers...we don't know the circumstances and we certainly will not be part of the overall solution...at least not by using this forum to act out our rival differences. So on both sides I think it's time to drop the upstaging and the belittlement and put the emphasis on trying to convey to Josh Watkins that the time to offer him our support is right now...and not later... and to encourage him to stay and finish his schooling. That is what "should be" going on in this site.

What I am saying isn't new. I'm saying only things that some Ute fans expressed last year to thier own when BYU's Brandon Davies went through his suspension. To thier own they stepped forward and requested for an easing back on the negative rhetoric and putting instead Brandon's welfare to the forefront. That's what Josh Watkins needs more than anything else right now...regardless of where our... different loyalties to schools may lie.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Jan. 19, 2012 5:39 a.m.

Missing practice ? When you are on a full ride to play basketball ? Sorry but he had to go.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 12:13 a.m.

N.C.Y,

Indefinite means not definite.
    In other words, whenever he met the coaches terms and/or expectations whether 1 minute or 1 year from the time of their discussion. This was an attitude and punctuality issue, not a illegal drug binge. Chances are good that Coach Krystkowiak simply wanted a sincere apology and some commitment out of him.
    So as I said previously, some of you guys make way more out of things then they really are.

• N.C.Y. Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 18, 2012 9:06 p.m.

re:motorbike
    Actually just saying it like it is. I'm still wondering how a person can be 'indefinitely suspended" for less than a week.

I don't think there is a lot of consipracy on my part, sort of stating the obvious.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 8:38 p.m.

A couple of thumbs up and some thumbs down.

Up to Coach K (yes Utah has one also. He is a very good coach.) He gave Jiggy a a solid chance to imporve. But the integrity of his team and school were at stake here. He did the right thing.

Down to Jiggy. He wasted a 2nd chance from Coach K. Hope he learns from this, stays in school and graduates.

Down to BYU fans who left negative comments.

Down to Utah fans who left negative comments last year concerning Brandon Davies.

Up to all fans who who left positive comments this year and last. Sometimes the color of the uniform is not as important as the person wearing it or the coach wanting to help that person.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 8:15 p.m.

I hate to see this happen to any team. It hurts the teams cohesiveness - especially when its someone that the team has relied heavily upon. But through this adversity the team will be stronger in the long run.

When will these young men learn how to follow team rules? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 18, 2012 7:43 p.m.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited, but in a year like this, Watkins dismissal will have very little affect on the outcome of the year. Best case scenario, the Utes would have only won 1 or 2 more games with Watkins. There's a good chance U wouldn't have won any more games. Without Watkins, there's still a good chance that U won't win any more games.

But USC, Oregon State and Arizona State are proving that they are not much better than Utah. Who knows, maybe the rest of the team will rally together after this and steal a win or two.

• ksmith Sacramento, CA
    Jan. 18, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I think he spent his lunch money on tatoos.

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 18, 2012 6:32 p.m.

As a die-hard Cougar fan, I feel for Ute fans. I remember back in the day when leading scorer Byron Ruffner got kicked off the team in (I think) 1996 and then Ron Selleaze (sp?) in Steve Cleveland's first season. I think he was the team's leading scorer too.

It may be a blessing for the Utes, giving the kids a chance to play everyday and prepare for next yeare. Watkins was a senior, and though he was a scorer, he wasn't helping the team win.

• Majerus'_Sweater SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 5:53 p.m.

It was brave of Coach K to dismiss Watkins? Who are we kidding here? The team wasn't going to win any more games with or without him. This just gives the new coach another excuse as to why the team is so terrible this year. All he has done since he got here was blame everything on the previous coach. Where is Coach K's accountability for this mess? And for that matter, Dr. Hill for his role in it?

By all accounts Jiggy was a good kid. There weren't any documented problems with him last year. Now all of a sudden he's the scapegoat for our tanking program. If his biggest sin was tardiness, was there something other than apathy causing it. Was he having sleeping problems or similar issues related to his asthma? Was there anything that could have been done to help him? If it was apathy, why wasn't the staff able to get him to buy in? Maybe people should hold off on crushing Jiggy and consider that there may be more factors in play here.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 5:36 p.m.

First of all, Coach K should have said, back before the BYU game, That Jiggy would be suspended for a specific number of games. That is what most all coaches say when a player is suspended. That way the player, media and fans know what to expect. To say "indifferently" certainly means more than one game. To me, this was one of the reasons there was another downfall. Can someone come up with any coach that has said a player was suspended indifferently and then brought them back after one game, and just 2 days later?

BTW, I didn't know that the u had an honor code? I wonder how that is going to go over with those recruits that are looking at the u?

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Just the monikers of Ute fan posters on the board belie motorbike's claim that it would be ridiculous to put more focus and importance on a non-conference foe than PAC 12 squads. See "54-10" "Mid-Major Cougars" "Qwest Perfected" as just a small sample of evidence.

Best wishes to Jiggly Watkins, wherever he may land. Jordan Loveridge did a nice segment on the news as prep of the week. Ute fans will really appreciate his efforts in the coming years.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 5:00 p.m.

This is going to hurt the team initially as his production will be missed on the court, but it is a plus for the program. Hopefully this is the last of the bad apples Boylen brought here that needed to be gotten rid of before they spoil the whole bunch.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:57 p.m.

I think there needs to be an article on the difference between Coach K and Coach Krysko.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:54 p.m.

These kids that think they are entitled need to go.

They need to be reminded that it is a privilege to get an education in return for bouncing a ball.

Good job Coach. You got support.

• agb Layton, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Wonder how long he'll actually be "dismissed" from the team this time?

Hang in there lil band of transfers!

• sportsfan2k10 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Hopefully he did something worse than having sex with his girlfriend to deserve this! haha Top players for "Big Programs" get away with murder... Players in Utah probably can't say a cuss word or they get kicked off the team.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Whoah Nellie, please share with me your reasoning at attacking my class. I may have a favorite team and a least favorite fanbase, but I spend a lot of time with athletes at all different levels, so I have great respect for athletes in general, regardless of what team they play for. I have some perspective into the issues that athletes face. I do enjoy friendly banter on sports topics with other enthusiasts, but I find it offensive that so many people use the anonymity of a screen name to act in ways many of them probably verbally denounce.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:25 p.m.

utahutahutahhate the school, love the state.

I hope Josh figures out what he wants in life, I know 2010 & 2011 had to be challenging years for him. To come from a winning program to a school that is struggling in so many different sports programs, it must be extremely depressing. Playing before a couple of hundred fans at each home game, little support from the university and community can make the adjustment difficult for transfer students. However, none of this should have been a surprise. I hope he is able to finish his degree at the u, establish post basketball goals and move forward in achieving those goals. We all wish him the very best with the decisions he must make. Hopefully there is an outside chance Kry will let him back on the teamas this may be what is best for the team and Josh.

Good luck to Josh, good luck to the u.

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Fellow Y fans: This was an enormously brave thing for Coach K to do. It may ultimately mean his job if the loss margins get too outrageous. He could have kept this quiet and let Jiggy do his thing on the court, but he chose instead to cut the best player on his struggling team to set an apparently necessary example. And the timing is NOT hypocritical or questionable. "He should've cut him before the BYU game". Nonsense. Give me a break.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:22 p.m.

I respect Coach for sticking to his guns on this one. He gave him a chance but this time he had to cut him loose. A disciplined program is a must and that starts with respecting the coach and the team rules.

Looks like the Freshman guards will get some more playing time though.

Go Utes!

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I know that there is way too much vitriol between the north and the south for there to be a reasonable expectation for this to occur, but I, for one, am going to try to support all of my Utah universities and wish them much success, while reserving the right to root for the team of my choice when there are interstate games.

So, go Utes, Cougars, Aggies and Wildcats! I wish your basketball and football teams the very best in the years to come. I hope you all represent the state of Utah well!

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 3:29 p.m.

I know that there is way too vitriol between the north and the south for this to be a realistic expectation on a large scale, but I, for one, am going to try to support and root for all of my Utah universities, while reserving my right to cheer for the team of my choice when there are interstate matchups.

Sports fanaticism should be filled with fun and excitement rather than anxiety and rancor. Go Utes! I wish your basketball team well and hope you represent our beautiful state well.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Good luck Jiggy and my Utes! We'll bounce back.

I agree that everyone deserves a 2nd and 3rd chance. We simply don't know the details so commenting on anything is ridiculous.

Go Utes!

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 2:59 p.m.

How about a sample of posts from the article when Davies was suspended:

Chris B | 7:08 p.m. March 1, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    And it all came crashing down!

I could hear the crash from Salt Lake

Can you say ONE AND DONE?

7:12PM (also Chris B..4 min later)
    I thought THIS was the season?
    One NCAA win in 20 years. LOL
    See ya again in 2030!

LOL

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 2:55 p.m.

motorbike

"Yeah, cause Utah certainly cared more about one out-of-conference game more than their 13 remaining Pac 12 games."

Don't kid yourself. Utah proved during football season that beating BYU was far more important to them than finishing with a winning record in the PAC 12.

The same is even more true for basketball. The Utes gave max effort in a very physical game against BYU, even reinstating a player ONE day after being "indefinitely suspended." The Utes haven't given that kind of effort for most of the season, so it's obvious where they place their priorities. As far as the 13 remaining PAC 12 games, everyone with any basketball sense at all knows that the Utes would be lucky to win one or two more games even with Jiggy, so it's not like Jiggy's dismissal is going to seriously impact the season. Does it really matter whether Utah finishes with 1, 2 or 3 conference wins?

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 2:40 p.m.

I think the difference between the BYU and Utah stories is that BYU was going to the Big Dance after a long long drought. The Utes have no chance, so the only readers are the true sports fans.

It's a sad day for the Utes. But, I hope the fans still turn out on Thursday.

Go Niners!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 2:18 p.m.

"Why couldn't the Brandon Davies situation of last year been handled with a single statement just like that."

idablu,

That is how the Brandon Davies suspension was handled. BYU released a statement that Davies was suspended for a violation of the school's honor code. That's it. Everything else was from the national media who swarmed to the story like a flock of magpies. I thought BYU handled the issue as well as they possibly could have given the intense national spotlight that was on the program at the time.

It will be interesting to see if the same Ute fans who loudly criticized BYU for their handling of the Davies suspension will now demand to know why Watkins was suspended. Either way, not many in the media will care because the Utes are so terrible.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:48 p.m.

sources say ... gotta love that phrase ... Jiggy missed two days of practices and meetings without ever contacting anyone on the coaching staff.
    Whether true or not I don't know ... but that's the word on the street.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:37 p.m.

"Josh "Jiggy" Watkins has been dismissed from the University of Utah basketball team for an undisclosed violation of team rules."

I like how this was announced. As a BYU alum and BYU fan, I still want to know: Why couldn't the Brandon Davies situation of last year been handled with a single statement just like that. In both cases, we, the public, don't need to know what warranted the suspension other that he violated team rules. That is all that needs to be said. I think the Davies situation could have been handled much more discreetly with a simple statement like that.

Anyway, tough, tough loss for the Utes. The kid can play. Hats off to Coach Kry and best wishes for Watkins.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:29 p.m.

N.C.Y

"Guess you can't expect too much slack when you only have 4 wins and BYU isn't on the schedule again."
    ______________________

You're quite the conspiracist.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:25 p.m.

I'm happy there are not a bunch of people speculating or rumoring about what Watkins did to get kicked off the team. What he did does not need to be known beyond him and those who need to know. I hope the media do not dig any further. We only need to know that he is no longer on the team, period.

I only wish Davies would have been given this level of privacy by the media, vulturous "fans", and rivals last year.

• N.C.Y. Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:16 p.m.

This kid should have not been allowed to come back so quickly the first time. I think the coach caved because BYU was coming up. That sends a bad message to a player which is basically, "Hey, we'll discipline you as long as you're not needed." Jiggy doesn't take the discipline serious and now he's gone to far and maybe thinking the coach would cut him slack like he did the first time.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:12 p.m.

A quick addendum to an above comment ... I said "some of you Cougar fans are so paranoid and self-absorbed it's beyond ridiculous."
    I ought to make mention that there have been some very good comments from Cougar fans on this thread as well - good comments that show concern for Watkins and his education. Thanks to you guys for showing some class and forgetting the rivalry for a few minutes rather than getting a jab in or talking about conspiracy theories.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Kind of crazy people are slamming coach K for letting Jiggy back on the team.

The first suspension was labled as "indefinite" because Jiggy was late to a practice. At that time he was given a number of things he had to do to get reinstated. He did those things and was allowed to rejoin the team.

I give a ton of credit to coach K for everything he did to the teams leading scorer. Yeah the season has been rough but that means having Watkins is even that much more important. The Utes still have games and conference positioning to play for - as bad as they have been they aren't in last place.

I'm not sure what brought on this action this time, but I respect the coaching staff for taking action with their leading scorer.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Balan -

[Coach Krystkowiak] caved into pressure and reinstated Watkins a day after "indefinitely" suspending him - all so he could play in the BYU game.
    _______________

So you were privy to the terms of Watkins' first suspension? Please tell us all exactly what Coach Krystkowiak told Watkins and how missing the BYU game was a definite part of that arrangement.
    Some of you Cougar fans are so paranoid and self-absorbed it's beyond ridiculous.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:58 p.m.

StGtoSLC,
    You, of all people, should not be lecturing others about having "class".

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:56 p.m.

And this is the value Mr. Watkins places on a college education. Wow!

He could have changed his life, and his family's for generations to come, and now that opportunity is gone.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:55 p.m.

Kiboo
    "I would have had more respect for the coach had he stuck to his guns the first time. Now that the season IS lost, he lets him go???"
    __________________

So tell us Kiboo, what do you know about this that makes you make such a comment?
    Ridiculous.
    It's gutsy enough that Coach dismissed him at all ... that's not a decision that's made quickly or without a few chances ... unless you aren't human or don't have a heart.

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:38 p.m.

RE: md

Wins? You're joking right???

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:36 p.m.

@Euroskeptic

When a player from the Y is suspended, it's because the rules he has to follow are too restrictive and the university has no right to enforce such rules on young, aspiring student athletes.

When a player from the U is suspended, it's because the university has integrity and character and won't stand for student athletes who would embarrass the university.

The U of U fan base always has and always will follow a double standard. It's as simple as that.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:34 p.m.

I love the showing of class in these posts by Balan, agb, jarka-rus, etc, don't know what different reaction I expected. This is a serious issue in many aspects for Coach, Jiggy and the entire program. Basketball has been this kid's entire life, without it he may not have had an opportunity to get an education, and without it who would want to keep going to classes and be subject to such criticism in his last semester? As a coach, it would have to kill you to make a decision for the good of the team and see someone possibly not graduate when they were so close. And on a much less-important perspective, for the program this could result in loss of scholarships if he doesn't finish school.

I for one hope Jiggy can see the importance in finishing his degree, and learn a lesson about responsibility and accountability from this. I can also appreciate the sentiments of a few others here who see the value of an individual and not just some inferior rival worthy of kicking while they're down.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:32 p.m.

@Kiboo "Now that the season IS lost, he lets him go???"

The season is just heating up or was I should say. Three close games with Watson, even against Stanford. Conference play has been more exciting than pre-season.

This is really going to hurt. Coach, we are counting on you to make this work.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:27 p.m.

Although Watkins is history in this program, it's my hope that he stays in school, grows up as a person and succeeds in life. What is happening to him right now might be the biggest and most important thing he learns as a college student. You had some fine moments as a Ute, Jiggy. Now get out there and show all doubters thay you are going to have some fine moments as a man.

• md Cache, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:21 p.m.

Good job Coach K. Integrity is more important than wins.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:17 p.m.

I don't know the circumstances, but at first glance, it looks that Coach Kry's making the right choices during tough times. When you are losing games by the margin the Utes are right now, it has got to be extremely hard to let go of your top performer in multiple categories.

Good luck to Coach Kry and the Utes moving forward.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:08 p.m.

The coach did the right thing, just like BYU did last season. He got his second chance and he blew it! I wish the poor kid well, and hope he gets on with his life in a positive way. It is sad to see such a once great program so down and out. I think they need to make the moves necessary to make Utah a great basketball program once again, getting former assistant coaches are not going to get your program where it needs to be, you need to spend the money to bring in a Great Name to draw the BIG RECRUITS to have a BIG TIME TEAM like you used to have! As a die hard Cougar, I loved Ute Basketball almost as much as Cougar Basketball, except for two sometimes three times a year! I look forward to a couple more years when you make a GOOD HIRE for a coach, let's face it, other than Arizona the Utes could easily be in the running for the Pac-12 Title EVERY YEAR if you had the program you had just a handful of years ago! Get Hungry, GET IT BACK!!!

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 12:05 p.m.

Let's see if Coach Kry has what it takes to suspend a player when it really matters. He had a chance to send that message early in the season - but unfortunately didn't. He caved into pressure and reinstated Watkins a day after "indefinitely" suspending him - all so he could play in the BYU game.

This suspension means absolutely nothing, other than allowing Coach Kry to pat himself on the back for making the "tough" decision. Ya right.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:50 a.m.

I admire Coach K. He gave Watkins a chance with a milder suspension, but, apparently that did not get through to Watkins. To let go your lone senior and probably the best player on a struggling team took character.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:49 a.m.

This may be good for the future of the team. Rather than relying on one player's skills, everyone else on the team has to step up now.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:19 a.m.

jarka-rus

Boy you come up with some good ones. The y game is in the past, move on with your team and the WCC. We'll move on with ours.

• Euroskeptic Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Wait, there are rules? I thought that was the great appeal of the U - "no one tells you how to live your life" or "forces you to live by their rules". How is this possible?

In any case, hope Watkins gets his act together and is successful in his other pursuits.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:17 a.m.

And a tough season gets even tougher.......

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:01 a.m.

I know it's Coach Kry's job to think of the program first. But since I'm not the coach, I hope Watkin's is able to fix whatever needs to be fixed and move on with his life.

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 10:57 a.m.

@Kiboo - He's not allowed to give his players a 2nd chance? Even BYU lets their players have a 2nd chance (depending on the violation.) Other schools look the other way for all kinds of violations, some that are probably more severe than what Watkins did, especially when it's a top scorer. I think it says a lot about Coach K and his commitment to rebuilding this program. We don't know what the circumstances were, so I don't think it's appropriate for us to speculate on what "should have" happened.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 10:52 a.m.

It says something very positive about Utah's coach and his level of personal integrity to follow the team rules, even when it effects his best player in the worst way and no matter how badly it will hurt an already struggling team. Rules are rules and exceptions shouldn't be made for any particular player. In the long run, the team will be better off for having that type of team discipline. My hat is off to the coach and his program, and I wish them well.

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah