Sign: "Built by slave labor in 1826, the Jones H. Flournoy House is one of
the oldest houses in Independence. It was originally located four blocks east of
its present location. In 1831 Church leaders led by church founder Joseph Smith
visited Independence. They met Flournoy, who was eager to sell his farmlands.
Smith determined that this would serve as headquarters and gathering place for
members. A site on Flournoy's property was dedicated for construction of a
temple. Tradition has it that it was in this house that Bishop Partridge and
Flournoy reached an agreement for the sale of 63.33 acres of land that became
known as the 'Temple Lot Property.' Cultural differences between church members
and their neighbors resulted in growing tension. In 1833 the church members were
driven out of Jackson County. This building then was used as a school during
most of the 1830, making it one of the oldest surviving school buildings in the
state. In 1862 the house ended up in the middle of a Civil War battle.
Confederate troops mounted an attack on August 11 and Union soldiers took refuge
behind the house and in the basement..." Building moved in 1989.
The house is owned by Community of Christ. It sits on Heritage Plaza across
Lexington Street from the Temple Lot.
Who owns the home now, and what does the sign beside it say?