Sports

Dick Harmon: Dave Rose has BYU basketball on solid ground

Comments

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Jan. 18, 2012 8:53 a.m.

I wouldn't count on landing Jabari Parker but, regardless, BYU is well positioned with the players they have as well as what they have coming in.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 17, 2012 10:36 p.m.

Just the FAX said:

"NOA

"My ties are closer to Washington State than Utah actually..."

I'm surprised you're willing to admit that. Washington State seems to be the only PAC 12 program Utah can beat in football and basketball, albeit, barely."

Well they have been in the PAC about year. There are plenty of games in years to come. I look forward to playing BYU in football. Leach is going to light you up.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 17, 2012 9:47 p.m.

NOA

"My ties are closer to Washington State than Utah actually..."

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 17, 2012 8:49 p.m.

Old Scarecrow I get what you are saying. Its always fun to watch when your favorite team plays hard and wins. My ties are closer to Washington State than Utah actually. My Cougs have not exactly been that great but have produced some good players. Some BYU fans live in an alternate reality where they think BYU sports revolves around a field of tulips. Its evident in what they post here. Its hard to imagine someone would actually say they things they do. That's what makes it so funny. There is more to college sports than Provo.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Jan. 17, 2012 6:37 p.m.

Honor Code
    your comment is so ridiculous it is irrelevant to anyone with a brain

• agb Layton, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 5:51 p.m.

NightOwlAmerica says:

"It means diddly if you don't do much in your conference tournament, or go far in the big dance."

And how far is Utah going it the PAC tournament and the big dance this year?

Crickets.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 17, 2012 5:19 p.m.

NightOwlAmerica...

has an aptly chosen screen name; watching that train wreck on the hill year after year after year is prone to produce many sleepless nights.

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 4:18 p.m.

Hey, Night Owl, how do you figure that playing hard and well all season and winning a lot of games and entertaining the fans means "diddly," whatever that means?
    I love watching basketball, I love watching the Cougars play with the best players they could get. I love how Coach Rose has brought them together, improved their skills and team play. I love watching the looks on the opposing coaches' faces when our guys just keep coming at them and there isn't anything they can do. I love knowing that these are good kids with few dreams of being multi-zillionaires and having private posses to support.
    I love that they get to play a game at a high level that I loved to play, however badly.
    Diddly? Really? I'll be disappointed when they lose their last game, but only because the season is over, not because they didn't win it all. Life's like that, enjoy the trip, my friend!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 17, 2012 3:50 p.m.

TJ said:

".....Not only is this team on very solid ground, the program is on very solid ground. Kind on stings a little for the people who don't like BYU. Doesn't it?"

Stings worse for BYU fans when they speak so highly of their team.

• simply me SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 3:38 p.m.

Honor code, are you bitter that you're basketball is not doing so well? Cheer up because it will soon be over, and you can carry that bitterness on when football start.

• svutility Des Moines, IA
    Jan. 17, 2012 3:27 p.m.

re: agarrett, Parker would be a very huge get. Still a long ways to go in the recruiting, but an article this week had his top three as Northwestern, BYU, and Washington, with NC, Duke, and a few other blue-bloods in his 2nd tier. Hopefully it isn't wishful thinking, but speculation is always fun!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 3:14 p.m.

louisanna Cougar.
    You forgot Wisconsin, Gonzaga(2 games) and USU who are not the best team this year but are still a very tough team on their home court.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 3:02 p.m.

@Wayne Rout
    The answer to your questions is: Jabari Parker.

Yes, the program is on very solid ground and the future looks bright. The team of the future will consist of Nate Austin, Matt Carlino, Nick Emery, Tyler Haws, Kyle Collinsworth, and hopefully the #1 HS player in the nation right now, Jabari Parker from Chicago, Illinois. Parker is LDS and he has plans to go on a mission...I smell a Final Four appearance in BYU's future.

• jazzfan Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 17, 2012 2:38 p.m.

I think this team is much better than last year's team, mostly because they play as a team much better than they did with Jimmer. Having said that, they have yet to reach their full potential. They desperately need to play better perimeter defense.

• AlpineVoyager ALPINE, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 2:22 p.m.

Dick,

Get your facts straight before you write a column. When Dave Rose wins 4 more games, it will be the 7th time in 7 years his teams get to the 20-win mark! And you are certainly right about apples and oranges--this year's coaching job is more impressive to me than Jimmer's last 2 years.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 17, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Re: Natester. Sorry, no beef with you. My beef against Harmon is based on what I read in this article, and so many others he writes about anything and everything Cougs related. You offer a good refute. If, indeed, that's the intent of the article, I didn't catch it:

"In last Saturday's win over Santa Clara, three Cougars scored more than 20 points when Davies got 23 and Hartsock and Carlino added 21 each. That never happed a year ago"; "On today's team, six different players have scored 20 or more points. A year ago, six players also had 20-plus point games but one of those, Hartsock, only had one. This year he's had six heading with two months to play; "The other big difference is the production of Davies. A year ago Davies had two games in which he scored 20-plus. This year Davies has been on a tear, scoring 20 or more four times."

These statements should easily be tempered by "who" the Cougs have played this year. Am I happy they're winning? Absolutley! Am I surprised they're winning? No. They should be dominating this conf as they are.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Solid, yes. Some of my Y friends are dreaming if they think BYU is a Top 10 program in anything outside of volleyball, rugby and some other smaller sports on occasion (e.g. cross country).

BYU certainly looks to be a consistent Top 25-30 program in basketball for years to come (and in football too). They will have rebuilding years at times, but don't stay down long. They might hit Top 10 in their best years, once a decade, but often fall out of it by the season's end. Nothing to be ashamed of there - Top 25 is great.

Please don't pretend we are something we're not. Top 10 is a big leap and almost nobody stays there as a program in any major sport - we are no Duke or NC, not even close.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 1:09 p.m.

To So. Cal Reader:

What's your beef against Harmon, here? At the beginning of the article, Dick wrote

"Apples and oranges? Yes. At this stage of the season, this team would be tough to match last year in terms of strength of schedule, big wins, and overall excellence."

The point of the article is that with Rose at the helm, the program is on solid ground. Do you have statistics that would refute that statement? By just about every measure, the Cougs are exceeding what would be expected of them for this year. Almost every team in the country has down years...times to re-load and re-tool. Considering that Rose has to also deal with players who leave for two years, his job performance at BYU is quite amazing. I guess if you want to find a weakness in the program, you can. Not sure why anybody would want to write...or read about that, though. I don't see any major weaknesses.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 17, 2012 12:52 p.m.

"The only BYU loss a year ago at this mid-January point was on the road at UCLA. That team had an RPI in the Top 10 and was ranked as high as No. 3 in the polls."

I love my Cougs and certainly am glad each time they win, but this article, like so many other BYU articles, seems to be a little incomplete. How about the RPI's of whom they've faced thus far this year? They've lost to a #11 Wisconsin and a #7 Baylor, in addition to an unranked Utah State and St. Mary's. So, I guess the basketball team is on "solid" ground based on their overall record alone, but who have they played?

I don't need such "rah, rah" articles. Let's see a little deeper analysis. With that being said, please keep winning Cougs!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Jan. 17, 2012 12:10 p.m.

To Honor Code:

As near as I can tell, you don't root for any team, you just hate on BYU. If you chose your name to bag on last year's Davies incident, you may want to re-think it now. He seems to be doing fine, and has publicly appreciated being back playing for BYU.

So, what's your deal, bro?

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 11:01 a.m.

Of course, anything can happen, but if I had to guess, I would guess that SMC, Gonzaga and BYU will end up tied for first place with 14-2 records. All three holding home court and losing only to the other two on the road. If anyone "cracks" and loses on the road to anyone else, they are then the 3rd place team.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 17, 2012 10:15 a.m.

Carlino is coming along nicely. Fewer mistakes, better decisions, and he is choosing better times to shoot.

I hope Rogers gets back to full strength soon.

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    Jan. 17, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Dave Rose is a great coach and this team is fun to watch because of the up tempo style of play that Coach Rose has implemented.

Do agree with the comments above that, the team needs to play better defense, the games against Va Tech, St Mary's and Gonzaga will all be important. Right now St Mary's is playing the best basketball in the WCC. I would not be surprised to see BYU and Gonzaga both Tie for second place and St Mary's with the regular season win. I wish we were playing Gonzaga first out of the three games. Playing Tech on the Road and then back with St Mary's will be difficult. Going 3-0 would be better than expected; if they can go 2-1 with these three games it will be a success.

If coach Rose could land Jabari Parker it would be a program changing indication that BYU has risen its program from being solid to a top 10 program.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 10:11 a.m.

To Honor Code:

Harmon got it right. Look at the stats for Coach Rose's sucess in the past 7 years. #3 Coach in the country in winning percentage. Almost 100 home wins to 6 losses in that time. Second only to Utah State. (Go Aggies!) Look at his line-up for future recruits. Solid in-state and out-of-state ballers until 2015 and beyond. 20 plus wins THAT many years in a row, Sweet 16 appearance. You can hate BYU, but you can't argue with stats. This one isn't an opinion. It's fact. Tough to face isn't it?

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Jan. 17, 2012 9:40 a.m.

We need to acknowledge that, except for Baylor and St. Mary's, BYU's schedule this year is "cupcakesque" and marshmallow soft. Their record is a mirage of sorts.

I love this team, and particularly appreciate Noah Hartsock. We will know more about the real quality of the Cougars when BYU plays Gonzaga in Spokane. Until that point, BYU should sweep its schedule -- such as it is.

I love the talent and am hopeful that Rogers and Collinsworth will heal in time to help out. Abouo played a solid game against San Diego, as did Zylstra and Cusick. The depth of BYU inspires a smile.

I don't like BYU's defensive preparation, and I think we won't know about BYU's real level of performance until they play another good team on the road.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 17, 2012 9:34 a.m.

If you would have told me at the end of last season that the Cougs would have a 16-4 record (likely 18-4 by Saturday) after losing Jimmer, Jax and Magnussen to graduation, C. Collinsworth and Rogers to injury, K. Collinworth to a mission; I would have never believed you.

I could have believed that the Cougs had a shot at a 20 win season, but a 25 win season seemed to much to ask for after losing so many good players. Now we are on the brink of what should be a 25 win season, with the potential for 1 or 2 more wins in the WCC tourney. The Cougs are listed among the "others receiving votes" and have a strong possibility of moving into the Top 25 when next weeks rankings come out.

With that said, there are four games that will define the rest of the season the Cougs - Va Tech, St Marys and Gonzaga (2X).

Cougs win all four games and the WCC tourney = 5 to 7 seed.
    Cougs win 2 and lose 2, and place 2nd or 3rd in WCC tourney = 8 to 11 seed (most likely).
    Cougs lose all 4 = NIT invite.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 17, 2012 9:07 a.m.

BYU is fortunate to have coach Rose. He represents the school very well and even better, is a good coach. It always seems, however, that BYU is one player away from greatness. Here's hoping we get over that hurdle.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 17, 2012 8:45 a.m.

@CalCougar...

I think you are a little optimistic in your predictions...The WCC will have more than the Pac -12...that's a gimme... but the MWC will more than likely have the same as the WCC...at 3.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 8:37 a.m.

Having EVERY game on TV has been sweet this year.

Coach Rose is doing an excellent job and the future looks even brighter.

Amazing how the tides have turned.

Great time to be a Cougar!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 8:27 a.m.

16-4 is very solid ground. For a team with a bunch of Freshmen(including the starting point guard and a major post contributor) and some Sophmores with very little game experience before this year getting a lot of playing time, BYU is having a very good year. They have several very good players already committed over the next 2 years.

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 7:52 a.m.

These hustling, hard-working, streak-shooting and occasionally very talented Cougars with the deep bench are fun to watch and would give most of the teams in the country all they can handle. Without a super-star they may not rise to last year's tournament heights, but I'm delighted with them, and love watching their games in 48" HD on my free antenna-born airwaves. Life is good, what's to complain about?

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Jan. 17, 2012 7:34 a.m.

@ Esquire

The West Coast Conference will likely have more teams in the NCAA tourney this year than the Pac 12 or the Mountain West.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 17, 2012 7:05 a.m.

"Solid Ground"??? Dick Harmon living in fantasy land once again!!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 6:15 a.m.

Rose is an outstanding coach. My observation, though, is that the conference is not a good match. And I see no solution on the horizon. BYU will never realize its potential with the way things stand now.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 17, 2012 1:01 a.m.

"This squad of Dave Rose's is capable of scoring, but struggles to stop the other guys. Rose's recipe to overcome that weakness is to out-score opponents."

Too True. Hopefully the team gets good enough on "D" by the time Tourney arrives, otherwise, it will a short post season I fear.

But, Go Cougars!

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Jan. 17, 2012 12:51 a.m.

I was at the game tonight. The Cougars are solid. A fun team to watch.