Sports

Tebow rules in OT, too: Broncos 29, Steelers 23

Comments

• North Summit 05 Coalville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 6:48 a.m.

I was right when I said the Pats would destroy the Broncos earlier and it will happen again great run for the Broncos but it will end this is the Patriots year we got Josh Mcdaniels back and he knows that Broncos offense very well the Patriots did such an amazing job at limiting Tebow in Denver the playoff losing streak ends now

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:04 p.m.

@ dlw7 | 5:02 p.m. Jan. 9, 2012

Matt 6:6

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:03 p.m.

re: ouisc | 8:23 a.m. Jan. 9, 2012

It was quite comical to realize the #1 pass D got lit up by Timmy.

Tebow is essentailly a FB playing QB and has great mechanics... for a quirky relief pitcher.

Injuries are part of the game. The stealers used the wrong strategy on the first & last play of OT.

Buffalo, the Bears, & Chiefs had the right strategy on how to shut down Tebow.

• agb Layton, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 6:05 p.m.

JazzleDazzle:

I agree. I am not a Tebow critic, but from what I have seen it will take a win over the Pats to silence those who are. xscribe has a convincing argument: the Steelers were not the usual juggernaut they are in the playoffs.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 5:20 p.m.

The almighty picked this one, and had a few bucks on it.

• HugMe Logan, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 5:11 p.m.

I am a Steelers fan and this game took some life out of me. Great job by Denver's coaches, defense and that QB named Tebow. The Steelers were Tebowed.

It didn't help that the entire defensive line of the Steelers was out of the game. There starting RB was out of the game. There starting center and left tackle were out of the game. A starting safety couldn't play because of an illness that acts up in high altitude. A QB who played on a gimpy ankle (high ankle sprain). I could use all of those as excuses, but the difference in the game was coaching. The Steeler's coaches we out-coached by a large margin.

Congratulations Broncos. Now, go beat the Patsies on Saturday night.

• dlw7 LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 5:02 p.m.

I don't know for sure whether God is a Football fan, but I do know that He is the fan of a young man who gives Him praise, honor and glory for the athletic ability he has and his ability to win games. What is not to like about Tim Tebow?

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 3:17 p.m.

The magic of Tebow. Okay, I want you to bring up your free safety NOW to stop the run! WR beats CB (with inexplicable outside shade technique) on the post and the rest they say is history!!!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 3:12 p.m.

Baltimore players said Tebow was a good running back.

If, and it's a big if, if Baltimore and Denver win this weekend...

We could see the Ravens and the Broncos.

Not too shabby for a running back.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 1:54 p.m.

Haters gonna hate.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 1:49 p.m.

Even with no emotional investment in the outcome, it was entertaining to watch. The victory seemed like justice for the missed call on an incomplete pass that was really a fumbled lateral. Tebow critics should stick to football and the W-L column and leave his personal philosophy alone.

Dave S.: How did BYU creep into the calculus? Bizzaro.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 9, 2012 11:33 a.m.

Beautiful play - though broke my heart as my son's buddy plays for the Steelers.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Glad Pittsburg lost.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Jan. 9, 2012 11:17 a.m.

OK, I am a believer that maybe God is making a statement and with a bit of humor. On Fox this morning they talked about Tebow and they showed a picture of him where one day he had the scripture John 3:16 ¶For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

They went on to say that yesterday Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass. I like it and this is one of those times where I believe that someone up there made a statement. God does exist and so does his Son Jesus Christ.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Former Ute QB Mike McCoy deserves credit for being Tebow's QB coach.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Are you the long time QB in the NFL?

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Tebow-He could sure be on my team. It was hard to want one team over the other yesterday with former Utes playing on both teams. I wonder how many times it has happened that both starting left guards were from the same school.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Congrats to the Denver Broncos defense because without them, there would be no magic for Tebow to conjure up.

That being said, Tebow is playing better now than he has all season. There's no question he's a great athlete, however, as a long-term quarterback in the NFL... I only have one question:

Anyone want to make a personal bet on who wins the Patriots-Broncos game?

There's a reason Vegas oddsmakers are favoring the Patriots by that much.....

Tebow is exciting to watch and, I believe, one of the individuals in NFL football I can respect for not being a thug or punk. Hats off to him for his great attitude and example. However, in spite of all that is good with him, Patriots win this one. Handily.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:31 a.m.

@agb

Not trying to talk smack, but that is all I seem to hear. If Tebow beats x team, it will silence critics. Tebow just finsihed the season 7-4 since taking over and winning a playoff game now throwing for over 300 yards. Who cares about the critics. Just keep doing your thing Tebow! Go Broncos!

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:21 a.m.

I must agree with xscribe. I'm very critical of Tebow (and very tired of the irrational propoganda about him) but Tebow did play the best game of his career against the Steelers. Even though the Steelers are pretty banged up, Tebow was missing those passes during the regular season. But, Tebow was spot on against the Steelers, so the Steeler D was playing chase all day long.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Jan. 9, 2012 10:19 a.m.

How is the 'new' overtime method an improvement on what it was? Especially in the playoffs I don't believe it should be one and done. The way OT is done on probably every level it really is not a lick of fair balanced or impartial. If you don't win the toss in overtime and elect to have the ball first you are practically assured the loss before the ball is even kicked off or placed for play. Secondly, I do not believe that any team with a non winning record should be afforded home field advantage over a team with a winning record. This said, the Steelers are not really that good of a team. They might have lost the game even if it was in their 'building'. Doesn't really matter who wins the AFC title because the NFC is gonna crush whomever it is into little pieces and scatter the remnants all over Indy before departing the first weekend in February.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Jan. 9, 2012 9:51 a.m.

I'm not a fan of either team in particular, but xscribe needs to realize that most teams are banged up this time of year and Denver is playing with a new QB.
    Either way it doesn't say much for the mighty Steelers defense, or maybe it just says that Tebow has a way of energizing his team and himself to a higher level.
    It was fun to come in at the 2 minute mark of the game to catch the end and see one amazing play of OT.
    And I'll take a young man kneeling briefly in the end zone, over some 25 year old ego maniac stomping around pounding on his chest anyday.
    Steelers got "Tebowed".

• agb Layton, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Dave S:

You've hit a new low: your obsession with BYU is such that you desperately seek out alleged BYU fans on a Steelers-Broncos articles. Nice job. Were you even going to comment on the article otherwise?

I agree with xscribe: A win over NE would silence many critics. One reason that this game is interesting is because one of the hardest things to do in sports is beat a team twice in the NFL, especially when the second time is in the playoffs. So even though the Pats won big a few weeks ago, the Broncos have a shot.

Regardless it's great watching a guy like Tebow succeed.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 9:00 a.m.

I am a life time Broncos fan. That was fun to watch. I am upset at the officials for botching the call when Big Ben threw the ball out to the side and Denver recovered the ball. If was clearly behind the line of scrimmage but the official blew his whistle, making it non reviewable. That gave Pittsburgh new life. Denver would have had the ball deep in Pittsburgh territory with a 20-6 lead. That game never should have gone to O.T. The NFL needs to do something about that stupid ploicy of not reviewing a play because the whistle blew. I am just glad Denver won, making it irrelevant that the call was blown.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:28 a.m.

@Dave: May a bit, as I'm a Steelers fan, just not die-hard. I just don't quite get the fuss yet about Tebow, until he proves he can play in the big game. I'm also tired of hearing it's Tebow, when it takes a team to win. With that said, I am Tebow's biggest critic, but I was also his biggest defender last night, as I think he played his best game yet, and showed that he could actually pass also.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:23 a.m.

If Tebow could play defense, I'm sure this one would have been a shutout.

I didn't give the Broncos a chance against the Steelers, as the Steelers had the #1 pass defense. But give Tebow and his receivers credit--they came up with big play after big play.

By halftime, Tebow and his offense already had more passing yards and more points than their average per game!

Steelers definitely unprepared, but the Broncos did just enough on both sides of the ball to win. Congrats Broncos. I can't wait for yet another week of Tim Tebow stories..

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Jan. 9, 2012 8:02 a.m.

Here is your story:

"The Steelers were nearing field goal range in the final minute of regulation but the Broncos sacked Roethlisberger three times on that final drive, forcing a fumble the quarterback recovered."

Tebow did fine, played beyond his ability as a passer, but it was the Bronc defense that won this one, holding the Steelers to 2 FGs at the beginning of the game, and obliterating the momentum Big Ben had established down the stretch with this gutsy series, to force OT.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    Jan. 9, 2012 7:55 a.m.

Tebow. Just what the NFL needed.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Jan. 9, 2012 7:40 a.m.

Tebow ... the new Jimmer.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 10:09 p.m.

Dear Dave:

Hard to ask someone else to grow up before you do.

• A Man's Perspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 9:36 p.m.

I am a die-hard Steelers fan, but I got to give a thumbs up to the Broncos. They played with heart and a gritty attitude to win. The Steelers, it pains me to say it, simply were out-coached and the Steelers must have had an arrogant attitude to allow a game like this slip from them. The Steelers vaunted defense was out-schemed and out-played by a gritty, determined, but not-too-talented QB in Tim Tebow. On paper, it should have been a near shut down by the Steelers defense. No way can QBs like Tebow penetrate so deeply against the normally highly executing Dick LeBeau Steelers defense. Remember, earlier in the year, the Steelers easily shut down Tom Brady and the Patriots. But Tebow?? Are you kidding me? All I can say is WOW to Tim Tebow and the Broncos! Good job! Beat the Patriots!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:13 p.m.

Most exciting game in 12 years, I'll go with that...

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Re: xscribe

Excuses, excuses, excuses!! Sounds like sour grapes to me. You probably are a byu fan as well.

• KJB Louisville, KY
    Jan. 8, 2012 6:57 p.m.

That was the most exciting Broncos game I remember seeing in at least 12 years! What a fantastic finish to an exceptional game! Congratulations to the Denver Broncos on their victory.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 8, 2012 6:56 p.m.

I'll believe if the Broncos can stick with the Patriots. Beating the banged and battered Steelers - missing 11 starters and their main running back, and playing with an injured quarterback - isn't what I would call stunning the opponent. Not to mention they had home-field advantage with an 8-8 record.