John White IV's TD run gives Utah overtime win over Georgia Tech in Sun Bowl

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 1, 2012 12:28 p.m.

A win full of grit and belief for Utah.

White IV is a special player.

Hays shook of bad plays that could have discouraged him, and made big plays in the clutch.

Devonte came up with playmaking throughout the day. He also shook off frustration by making the catch to force OT after getting interfered with on the same route the play before.

The defense made adjustments and was solid in the 4th quarter. The two three and outs that gave the offense the ball back were huge.

It's not Roses, but a gratifying season for me because Utah played with pride, got up when knocked down, did not back down to defeat, and refused for the season to be a loss.

The bad stretch of the season was during major transition. The opening conference loss was a blocked FG in the Coliseum to USC. Utah's defense was as good against USC as anybody all year. Then Utah comes home and dominates Washington in the first half despite trailing by a FG at 10-7. The team finds out Wynn is done for the year at halftime and couldn't avoid the blowout in the second half.

The wheels came off the weeks following the Washington game as Utah is revamping an offense and playing back ups on a third of their roster.

Despite crucial injuries and adversity, Utah bounced back to make this year memorable.

I don't care what conference a team plays in, when a squad is 0-4, most teams at any level pack it in for the season.

Proud to be a Ute.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Congrats Utes!! That was a quality bowl win!

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 9:32 a.m.

Talk about a strong team mentally! The Utes deserved that comeback win, never quitting like the Cougies down south against the Utes in Sept or Heaps walking to the sideline after a pick.

What a great way to end a rough season, go Utes! Can't wait til next season!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 8:00 a.m.

What an outstanding come from behind effort. "no quit" is right. Congrats Utes on the victory. this is what bowl season is all about!

Dec. 31, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Talk about never quitting! As Coach Whitt said, this game typified the entire Utes season. After Wynn went down, it took the Utes several games to get into a groove with Hays at QB. But they gutted it out, even when several of their other fellow Pac 12 bowl-bound teams quit in their bowl games. It says a lot about the Utes, from their coaches down to their players.

Outstanding game, Utes! We're proud of you, man!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 31, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Congrats Utes! Exciting ending just like the game in Dallas yesterday. Glad to see both teams come out on top.

Dec. 31, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Being a football coach has got to be a tough thing to handle knowing you can't control the way you achieve the desired outcome. For the past three weeks, Coach Whit has been saying that his game plan is to slow down the rushing attack, run the ball to control the time of possession, and don't turn the ball over. Instead, they gave up 311 yards on the ground, turned the ball over to fall behind by 14, which meant they had to pass the ball, and they gave up an 8 minute advantage to GT in time of possession. But after a bowl win, none of those things can haunt you. The ghosts are exercised for 9 more months!

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Nice job Utah. Obviously this team has excellant leadership. They could have rolled over in the third but they never gave up hope and pounded out an impressive win.

Always a Cougar but still impressed.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Dec. 31, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Way to go John Hays you have my vote for starting quaterback next year for the Utes I'm sure all wold agree

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 31, 2011 8:12 p.m.

Congratulations Utah on your bowl game win! UCLA, California, Washington, and Arizona state have lost so far. And Oregon is an underdog against Wisconsin and Stanford against Oklahoma State. Wouldn't it be interesting if the "conference of champions" only had one bowl game winner= Utah?

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 8:07 p.m.

One of the best road trips I have been on. El Paso really supports this game and are great hosts. Hays played very well today with only one dumb throw. The rest of the team picked it up in the 4th quarter and Utah has another bowl win in a very exciting game.

Nice job and Go Utes!

• Turk Turkelson WEST JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Major Props to JON HAYS!!! He had to put up with a lot of naysayers (mostly Ute fans themselves), but he improved a lot over the course of the season and came through for the Utes today.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Way to go Utah that was a great game. They made some really good adjustments at half to slow down Georgia Tech's option attack.

They never gave up and kept grinding. I am proud of their come back win and that they were able to send off the seniors with a W. It was a full team effort to get this an. I thought Sean Asiata played a great game both receiving and blocking for John White.

Overall, it was a good first season in the new conference. Given the QB situation we had, I thought we ended up with a pretty good record. Having said that, I hope either one of our incoming freshmen can play themselves into a starting role for next season.

Its a great day to be a Ute and the future is brighter than it ever has been. Next year the games will be televised on national networks and they will start getting revenue other than just from the 2 BCS and other bowl games.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:39 p.m.

What an awesome game! John White will go down as one the greatest RBs in Utah history. It's a pretty darn good list too. Congrats boys!

Now if we could just have a tryout for the basketball team:)

Go Utes!

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Great job Utah football team! Congrats on your bowl win. I decided to write this comment without first reading the other comments because I don't want to spoil my sincere congratulations because I know that the Ute fans will somehow bring BYU into this (because as we all know, they secretly love BYU football. Who doesn't?) and so, to keep it classy, I will forego that and just give my sincere congratulations.

• amicus Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Congrats to both Utah and BYU. It was great to see BYU and Utah win on consecutive days.

Hopefully, the rivalry game will be a little more exciting next year. (By the way, I wish Utah would talk to the Pac12 about moving the BYU-Utah rivalry game back to November. After all, Stanford played Notre Dame in November this year. Larry Scott may be hoping that a rivalry develops between Utah and Colorado, but it is tough to create a rivalry out of thin air.)

• Chris Degn Seoul, Korea
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:00 p.m.

This BYU fan is happy to see the Utes win their bowl game! Congrats UofU on the victory! BTW, don't give in to PC pressure. Keep the drum and feathers. It looks cool.

• Maddog1 BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Would someone please explain to me how the Sun bowl has anything to do with BYU? As a BYU fan I am embarrassed for any BYU fan that can't take the high road and grow up. We get one chance a year to beat Utah on the field but we think our words will make up for getting our behinds kicked, lets hope for better results next year.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 7:00 p.m.

You're certainly one ungrateful Ute or just a BYU antagonist that can't accept a genuine compliment. If you were grateful you'd stop the silly comments about John. I suppose you were one of several that wanted this kids head when he was first struggling.

You should be venting against your lame staff for putting the program at risk for not having a stronger bench. Instead you ridicule Hays for his lack of undeveloped talent. He's come a long ways.

Hays did the impossible, against all odds so it seems, and you still can't humble yourself to call him a bonafide D1 QB. I'm not a diehard Ute fan, that's public knowledge, but I will give credit when credit is due.

You can heap all the praise in the world upon John White IV and Devonte and others but without Hays you'd be nearer to the bottom of the conference along with Colorado

Wow, simply unbelievable.

Again, congrats to John Hays, an unknown junior college QB transfer, that would have been playing in Omaha had his school not dropped the football program.

Dec. 31, 2011 6:47 p.m.

Are you a Ute fan, we don't play Oregon next year. Same schedule as this year switch sites. Great job Utes and Great job Cougars.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 6:38 p.m.

That was a fun game to watch!

Hey what happened to all the comedians on the first page of this comment board. Conference of Chumps! So far, the PAC 12 has provided the best two games this bowl season.

I'm not a big fan of Hays, but the fact that he went 6-3 as a starter is pretty amazing. He'll be an important part of the team next year playing a back up role.

Utah losing only 5 starters makes for a good team next year. Hopefully Wynn can stay healthy! I believe he'll be the starter if healthy although I've heard rumor he's done. We'll see. Both Wilson and Hansen look really good.

That said, great win. Like many I thought Utah was done when down 24-10. Way to hang in there after maybe the worst pass I've ever seen.

Go Utes.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 6:37 p.m.

My comment was directed at 54-10 for his dig on BYU 'quitting'.

No one really quits at this level, to even say something along these lines disrespects the players, so I will apologize for my retaliatory remark, I don't disrespect anyone playing, not even your basketball team, just your lame fans.

Congrats to you Utes. It was a good game to watch, even with DVR. In overtime you truly won your game. In regular time, you were lucky.

There, does that make you happy?

Enjoy your win. Remember you just beat an AP #50 team.

By the way Utes are down at the half... against Colorado!

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 6:33 p.m.

my last comment also goes for the BYU fans this stuff is getting pretty old everybody just shut up and quit acting like a bunch of 3 year olds Both teams won their bowl games now everybody shut up and say congratulations to the teams that represented this state very well, Be Civil like the d news says to be.

Dec. 31, 2011 6:31 p.m.

I had to laugh after the game. Late in the 4th quarter when we were still down by 7 and barely squeaking out first downs, JW4 had 99 yards rushing, and after getting stuffed on a 1-yard run, I turned and told my friend, "Johnny's got 100 yards now, we've got the game won." I only wish I had fully believed it when I said it!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 31, 2011 6:21 p.m.

No one is throwing Hays under the bus, I'm just stating facts. I'm grateful that he was able find ways to win but reality is he's not even a PAC-12 backup QB. Without White and our defense Hays would probably have won 2 games.

With that being said I congratulate him for stepping up and going 6-2 vs BCS teams. He deserves respect for what he has done.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Congratulations, Utes!

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 6:04 p.m.

An enjoyable game, a great come from behind and overtime win. CONGRAT'S! to Utah fans and their football team.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I won't buy into the 14 year old arguing that is going on following this wonderful bowl win. Congrats to Coach Whit, Coach Sitake (wonderful d all in all). But although the Wolfman was the player of this game, I have to give so much credit to Jon Hays. What is this kids record as a starting qb again? He did just fine and came through in the clutch and for that, he should be incredibly proud. What a bounce back game after a disappointing Senior game. This was simply an excellent bowl win that won't soon be forgotten.

• D'Anconia Providence, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:48 p.m.

@17-14 Hurts Don't It?

30-27 hurts don't it?

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Good job Utes, fun game to watch. Now will someone give me a rational reason why u lost to Colorado?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:40 p.m.

"all you and "Honor Code" can do is whine about BYU.
    For goodness sake, Enjoy the victory!

Clark, I really enjoy your balanced, fair and gracious comments. But you should know that Honor Code is not a Ute fan. He simply dislikes BYU more than he dislikes Utah.

I enjoyed sammyg's comment, Uteology. I think he was giving Hays just deserved praise. I think this kid was great, talent considering and pick-6 not-with-standing, and it showed with is perfect pass to Christopher at the end of the game.

To be a "bonafide Div-1 QB" you need to win games. Yes, White was the offense this year, but without Hays doing a decent job of game management in many of the Ute wins this year, the Utes wouldn't have been in a position to win this game. So some credit is due. He is living the dream. As Ute fans lets be happy for him. Will they try to "upgrade" next season? I certainly hope so, but let's not throw this kid under the bus.

TheHailstorm | 4:53 p.m. Dec. 31, 2011
    "Where's the Duck ?"

I believe he is in Texas. He'll be back....

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Attention Cougar trolls...

Let me just say this... For the big boy Utes there nothing sweeter than a big boy victory over a big boy team from a big boy conference in a big boy bowl game.

Just wanted you to know... since you don't know.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:23 p.m.

1994 how could you?! Popcorn popping is part of BYU football lore! That was sarcasm too Clark. Got to side with the Utes on the most annoying song issue.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:23 p.m.

@ 17-14 Hurts Don't It? -

Funny that you mocked Utah for losing to Colorado in your comment but then you go on to say, "What are the odds of GT missing 3 field goals?"
    So then let me ask you ... what are the odds that Utah misses 3 field goals?
    You are welcome to call it a fluke that Utah won today if you'd like, but then you'll also have to admit that Utah's loss to Colorado was a fluke.
    As much as you'd like to, you can't have it both ways cougar fan.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:20 p.m.

Clark Hippo, I guess you missed my sarcasm.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:17 p.m.

@ Lifelong Republican

Bleed Crimson does have a point.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Next on agenda.

Make trips to Southern California and bring Travis up to SLC.

Drive to Utah County and bring Chase up to SLC.

Find a kicker.

Hayes will be the third string next year. With Star coming back, only losing 5 starters and gaining so many good recruits and experience, Utah will be very competitive.

What a great call by Chow at the end. He will be missed.

Drum and feather will also be missed.

Go Utes!

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:14 p.m.

@bleed crimson

don't forget the ineffective flash mobs either

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:14 p.m.

[John Hays is] a bonafide D1 QB that saved a Ute season and won a bowl game.

Lets not get carried away. Hays is a D2 QB that will be 3rd string next year. John White IV is the person who saved the Ute season with the help from our nationally ranked defense.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:10 p.m.

@ Lifelong Republican

"Keep playing that annoying fight song every 12 seconds. That will make a big difference. So far it is working wonders".

Annoying fight song? At least we don't play "Popcorn popping on a apricot tree" (children's primary song).

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:06 p.m.

To you, the sensible Ute fans (and the team) a nice win. Good job!

I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you telling me that somehow Utah's victory was more significant that BYU's yesterday? You refer to 'the little brothers' and yet, you were the first to deride BYU's bowl game. Personally, I like the Aggies. (I'm sure they are WAY below your Pac 12 standard.) My point is that it was a nice win, but without a playoff system, it means nothing more than beating Tulsa.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:06 p.m.

i'm actually down here at the game and the atmosphere was awesome. utah was very well represented and we traveled much better than i thought we would. in fact, from the looks of it we traveled better than ga tech did. tech's fans were very classy and fun to socialize with.

the winner down here though was the city of el paso. the local support for this bowl game was amazing. a lot of people might look at the sun bowl and write it off real quick, but the history of this bowl is very rich and very deep. even though ute fans would have liked to be somewhere else, the sun bowl was great.

• sticks17 Midway, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:06 p.m.

This win is unfortunate...the "conference of champions" was well on their way to laying a goose egg for the bowl season.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Dec. 31, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes. Who would have guessed that the Utes would be carrying the banner for the PAC-12 bowl teams. Maybe the Utes WERE the best team to represent the PAC-12 in the Rose Bowl.

Dec. 31, 2011 4:59 p.m.

I thought the shot after the game of the team lifting JW4 up on their shoulders was very symbolic since the put the team on his shoulders all season long. Jon Hays played very tough (in what was hopefully his last game as a starter) and should now be remembered in Ute history for mostly good reasons instead of comical ones.

Great adjustments made by both coordinators in this game. The fullback "wrambled" all over us in the first half and was shut down in the second, along with most of Tech's offensive production. Norm called his best game of the year and left the game in the hands of our playmakers. That almost backfired on us with some key drops and barely missed throws, but I think everyone on the team grew up a lot today.

We were without some key players in the trenches, but the guys that were in took full advantage of their opportunity. Al Groh is a very good defensive coordinator and dialed up some tough, tough blitzes, so the passing we accomplished is really a pretty good achievement!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Where's the Duck ?
    Great win for the Utes and wonderful game for the new recruiting.
    Coach Whitt is the BEST ! !

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:48 p.m.

@ 17-14 Hurts Don't It?

"Just think if the Utes hadn't quit against Colorado. Maybe the parade, maybe the Rose Bowl?"

Dude! Apparently you don't know what quitting is. Quitting is giving up! Utah didn't give up in the Colorado game. Yes, they were losing the whole game, but they fought there way back and positioned themselves to win. Unfortunately for Utah, they missed 3 field goals which would have won the game.

If you want to see a quitting team. Watch Utah vs BYU 2011. BYU was starting to fall behind and they gave up in the 3rd quarter. (That is where Utah started piling on the points).

• Napolean Dynamite Magna, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:47 p.m.

Some of you cougar fans coming on here after a Utah bowl victory spouting your sour grapes are really embarrassing to your school. Some cougar fans on here congratulating the Utes are showing your good sportsmanship and class.

You decide what kind of fan you want to be.

Congratulations to both schools on two great victories this weekend!

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:47 p.m.

With all due respect, your name fits you.

The U of U pulls off a come from behind win against Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl, played on CBS New Year's Eve, and all you and "Honor Code" can do is whine about BYU.

For goodness sake, Enjoy the victory! Life is too short to whine all the time about BYU.

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:44 p.m.

WOW.... Hate to argue with standings regarding the Utes, but actually einstein the Utes have the third best record in the conference.... Oregon Stanford and then Utah..... Well, okay I see where you say 4th..... USC is actually 3rd... LOL... but they didn't go bowling and this season really didn't count as full as it could... Yet, next season it will and I say BRING ON THE TROJANS! They will be out for blood and stomp into the cemetery all the teams they face.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Tulsa would have beaten any of those pathetic teams by 30!! What a sorry couple of teams.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Utah is the best team in this state!

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:41 p.m.

@Honor Code

Whatever you think of BYU's win yesterday verses Utah's win today, it doesn't really matter to me.

Two wins are two wins.

Great job to the Utes and Cougars!

You made the Beehive State proud!

• armchairQBonthehill Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Way to go Utes . . pulled it out in the end. We all better hope that Chase Hansen or the other incoming QB can provide a viable option for the 2012 offense. While John White is a beast, in order to compete you need a competitive QB. Not sure we have that in the house right now with Hays although maybe the new OC will be able to be creative and making him into a more consistent offensive leader. We will need it to be competitive in the PAC 12 in 2012. Especially with having to face Oregon next year.

• burtro15 CEDAR CITY, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Utes are number one hahaha. 8-5 baby.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Great comment Honor Code. Good thing BYU had more points so they didn't have to play over time. They obviously would have lost. Wow.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:38 p.m.

John White the 4th... has 4 more yards on the season now than Robert Turbin!! Go UTES!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:35 p.m.

That's the way to do it! I told my sons, when Utah was down 14, that this was a life lesson we learn from sports. When you're down you just keep working and give it your best. And that's just what the Utes did.

Congratulations on a very good season Utah!

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Utah played a quality GT team (much better than Tulsa). Kudos to the Utes for pulling this win out.......had BYU had to play in over time, they'd have lost!

• parrothead orem, ut
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Nice comeback Utes !! Great way to end the year.

• burtro15 CEDAR CITY, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Highlight of the game was white flashing the number one sign after scoring. Hahahahahahahaha

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Way to go Utah!! 8-5 which is currently the 4th best record in the PAC-12 overall. Not a bad year after injury full season and a D2 QB.

Go UTES!!

@17-14: "Congrats to the Utes, it was a lucky win. What are the odds of GT missing 3 field goals."

Same as odds as the three missed field goals for Utah vs Colorado.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Nice win.

• Summer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:24 p.m.

First PAC-12 bowl victory of the year goes to Utah!

Thanks to the Utes and their never quite attitude!

Sun Bowl Champions!

• Jared Average, SE
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Congrats Utes. My prediction was correct (see my previous comment). Way to represent the state of Utah!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Let me help my little bro out....football schools in ACC...
    Boston College
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    NC State

CUSA football schools....

Let's here all about it BHAFB champs??? 9am start on Friday!!! ESPN must know many BYU alum work nights??? Dominos???

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Awesome game. All three teams in state bowl game came down to the last second. USU needed a little better luck and better play calling. Congrats to the Utes! Great first season in the PAC-12.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Here, I'll play with you.

• CWOOD1111 Holladay, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:19 p.m.

way to go utes! way to not give up when losing! Great game! according to the article we won 30-26!yay they got a point taken off!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:18 p.m.

It's Good to be a Ute !!!

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:18 p.m.

What an exciting weekend of college football for both the Utes and Cougars. Two exciting, come from behind wins, although I must confess, as exciting as the Armed Forces Bowl was, the Sun Bowl was a bit more exciting.

John White IV is the man!

Great game Utes.

A BYU Cougar fan

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Gutty comeback by Utah. This game was a classic example of playing not to lose, trying to just run the clock out way too early.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:17 p.m.

From a Cougar fan I say...

Well done Utah Utes! You played your guts out in the fourth quarter and overtime.

You deserve the win, congrats to all of you.

Already looking forward to 2012!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:17 p.m.

A few thoughts:
    -WooHoo! Great comeback win, Utes!

-With the big momentum shift after the Hays pick-6, no one on this team gave up. Special teams, defense and offense. All came together. A beautiful team effort.
    -Congrats to all of the players and coaches for the win!
    -Best bowl game of the year so far, with BYU coming in a close second (for this U fan). Wish I coulda been there. For you that could go, be grateful this holiday season.
    -The Pac-12 made a great decision to invite the Utes. 4-0 non-conference including the lone bowl win so far. Only Stanford can match that.

Game Balls:
    Stick-to-it-tive-ness: Jon Hays
    Wolf man cometh: John White IV
    Special teams guru: Griff McNabb
    Big time hands: Devonte Christopher
    Bulldozer: Shawn Asiata

Have fun in Hawaii coach Chow. Thanks for the brief, but awesome, memories.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Awesome comeback win, Utah!! Way to represent the PAC-12! Great end to the season. 8-5 in first PAC-12 year is respectable, especially with all the injuries. Looking forward to more next year......

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Congrats on a great win Utes, fun game to watch.

A Y fan

• Fly Fisherman Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Fantastic come from behind victory for Utah! Way to never quit! JWIV you are the man and the greatest running back in Utah history!!! Nice job, Hays! And the Defense really stepped it up in the 4th quarter when they needed to!

Good job, Utes!!!

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Congratulations, Utes. It's interesting to see those people who laughed at a last-minute touchdown for the win yesterday are excited about the OT win today. It's great to see two teams from the Wasatch Front win their bowl games this week.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes.

From a nobody backup junior college QB to being a Sun Bowl Champion John Hays lives his dream. He's a bonafide D1 QB that saved a Ute season and won a bowl game.

That's pretty cool for someone that many were willing to throw under a bus after 4 losses.

Enjoy your short lived moment Utes... it's now officially basketball season.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Ah Utah! You know I was cheering against you, so I'll come on here and take it like a man. When it came down to it, you put the game on JW4's shoulders and the ball in his hands. Congratulations!

And what sweet redemption for Hays.

Well done! But I gotta say, the difference was in the coaching adjustments. And the coaching is a product of BYU.

Okay, I guess I didn't have to say it. Congratulations and well done.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Congratulations, Utes!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Utah wins. That's what can happen when you don't quit when you're behind in a game.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:02 p.m.

good come back win

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:56 p.m.

Utes are lucky to be in this game, extremely lucky. Overtime...

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:50 p.m.

It would have been nice to see u lose in the closing seconds. Oh well, there is still a chance to watch u lose in overtime.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:39 p.m.

change went for tie smart call

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:38 p.m.

great catch for a touchdown interesting call going for two no sarcasism here

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:37 p.m.

Star Lotulelei is a beast. He should go pro and use the millions to pay for the rest of his college education. He would be one of two lineman from the state of Utah to be All-Pro.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:24 p.m.

hayes got another touchdown and again sarcasism here to

• Jared Average, SE
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:17 p.m.

The Utes will come from behind and win: 31-24.

Mark it down.

I really hope the Utes win (I'm a BYU fan) but things aren't looking good right now.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Keep playing that annoying fight song every 12 seconds. That will make a big difference. So far it is working wonders.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Conference of chumps?

Was that a typo?

Uh, nope!

• JDL Magna, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Could be that the conference of chumps is 0-4 in bowl games this year.

• Lee Corso American Fork, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:02 p.m.

26 seconds don't give the utes more credit than they deserve. this is comical.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:54 p.m.

Utah already won their bowl game back in September. That was the highlight of their whole year. I'm just waiting for someone to come on here and spout off 54-10.

Guess what. GTech is the 50th ranked team in the country.

What was Tulsa?

• kanaka818 West Hills, CA
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:49 p.m.

WOW! GT 14 points in 28 seconds!

• blazefan01 west jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Can we leave Hayes in Elpaso?

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Hayes just got a touchdown pass(sarcasism all the way)

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Oh yeah...
    I forgot the school down south has determined for the world that fans can only be fans if they travel....

No one can have a favorite team unless you travel to the game... Thanks for reminding me of that Provo rule...

Got it!!!

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Maybe u can hold GT under 400 yds rushing for the game. Three incomplete passes to start the second half? Pathetic. 1-6 on third down? wow. Make that 1-7. Not much O from u.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:24 p.m.

I hope the second half picks up. That was pretty anemic. GT had a bunch of rushing yards (yawn), but Utah had nothing.

• Nobelpromise SLC, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 2:05 p.m.

I see you are in El Paso at the game. Oh wait.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 1:58 p.m.

No matter how you spin it, it is a bowl game in El Paso on New Years Eve. El Paso. That might as well be a hundred thousand light years from Pasadena and New Years Day.

Also, since when is playing an ACC team in football prestigious? Granted they are probably a bit better than Tulsa, but are you really bragging about this? Without a playoff, Utah's season is just as inconsequential as BYU's or even Utah State's.

• chubbuckidahocougfan Chubbuck, Idaho
    Dec. 31, 2011 1:36 p.m.

good luck to the Utes today. Hope they come out on top.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Dec. 31, 2011 1:05 p.m.

We're we able to afford to get our band and cheer team down to this game? Wow...I figured we would not take them with only 12 fans going to the game??? BYU told me only 12 fans were going but 2 million were going to Ft Worth yesterday?
    So confused?

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 12:59 p.m.

I'd fight to have Utah keep the drum and feather if they would get rid of that ridiculous school song. Every time I hear it, it reminds me of being on a merry go round as a kid.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Dec. 31, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Utah is playing football. On Saturday? 2pm eastern? CBS? In the 2nd oldest bowl game to the Rose? Started in 1935? People are in the stands watching the game? Some people wearing red clothing? Playing an ACC team?

BYU folks said they had a better bowl...on a work day? 12 noon eastern...in a bowl that is 9 years old? Owned by ESPN? Playing a ConfUSA opponent?