Faith

Setting goals: Advice from Elder John A. Widtsoe still relevant more than a century later

Comments

• russf Clovis, CA
    Jan. 3, 2012 5:39 p.m.

This article prompted me to go through some of my old books and I came across a book titled 'In a Sunlit Land, The Autobiography of John A. Widtsoe'. Looks to be a book I'll be reading this year.

• Sense Maker SANDY, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 5:44 p.m.

His resolutions are definitely worth writing down and posting in a place where I can see them every day. One of his resolutions about never forcing his opinion but arguing about his point of view, is something that is difficult to do today. There is a lot of negative sentiment towards the Church. If people are interested in what you have to say then you can expound on your beliefs. Otherwise, just excuse yourself and say, "Your entitled to your own opinion, even though I don't agree with you." I also don't believe that we should keep the commandments because we "fear God." I would prefer to think that I obey his commandments because I love God, and want to be with him again.

• Project M Hamilton, Waikato
    Jan. 2, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Great article. I shall resolve to follow its principles.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 2:17 p.m.

Thanks for supplying me with some good Home Evening material for tonight. Great stuff.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Thank you for publishing some of the life of this worthy apostle. He certainly fulfilled his calling as an aposatle of the Lord. What a wonderful plan for us to follow, even in a minute way. This gives me some ideas for new year's resolutions.

• cj2018 KUTZTOWN, PA
    Jan. 2, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Thank you for posting this article and these resolves of Elder Widtsoe's. I am the Admin for my Church Ward's Facebook page and have reposted the resoltions there, with a link to your article and, of course, acknowledgement of the source. It is a wonderful article, and it is true that these "resolves" are as tenable and current now as when Elder Widtsoe wrote them. I am printing a copy to keep with my Scripture notes, so that I can resolve each day, as well, to live them.