President Thomas S. Monson one of Americans' 10 'Most Admired Men,' Gallup poll says

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Jan. 4, 2012 3:10 p.m.

Pres. Thomas S. Monson is THE man!!!

• howtoshyne LAUREL, MD
    Jan. 4, 2012 9:58 a.m.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

President Monson is not president of the "Mormon" church. He is president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

• als Atheist Provo, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Bill in Nebraska wrote:

"Those who decide that they must be told to do so is a slothful servant. We should help our fellow beings because it is the right thing to do, not because we are going to get a blessing for it."

That is why I don't follow the "commandments" of any "god". I do not need to be told to do what is right, nor do I need to be told what right is.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Dec. 31, 2011 11:56 a.m.

When the commandments of God has been included in the laws of man, then there is safety there. When laws of man differs from the commandments of God, there is no safety there.

As the Savior said to the rich man, give all that you have and follow me, he was unable to do so. IT is the same when you take the agency of man away. the Lord doesn't was us to be compelled to help as government does but to do of our own admonition.

Those who decide that they must be told to do so is a slothful servant. We should help our fellow beings because it is the right thing to do, not because we are going to get a blessing for it. Look at all the celebrities or those who say see what I did is like one showing how much of his alms they have given. I don't think it is anyone's business but the Lord's how much I have donated for this or that. It isn't anyone's business if I have helped this or that person except me and that person. That is what President Monson has done.

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Just because he didn't aspire too the calling doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it. Peter repeatedly told Christ he wasn't worthy to even be in his presence, letalone hold the keys of the kingdom of God. I think it is more admirable that he didn't aspire to his callings in the church and yet has served honorably and any nothing short of 100% devotion all without receiving a single penny. I think he stands with short company on the list when you look at it that way.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 31, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Charles - you said..."Pres. Monson has done all of his acts of kindness because he is following the admonition of the Savior and he is doing it of his own choice --- no compelling."

So is it your assertion that is improper for the government to compel people to do the right things. IF that is the case, then the government should also no have the right to mandate compliance with;

- laws that compel morals like chastity
    - laws that compel divorced dads to provide for their kids
    - laws that compel obedience to the word of wisdom - vis a vie Utah's wine and spirits laws
    - laws that compelled military service
    - laws legislating relationships like who is allowed to marry whom
    - laws that compel you to render aid to accident victims
    - plus many other laws that "compel" people to make moral choices

Yet we know the church has stood steadfast by these laws that compel people to choose moral paths. You are perfectly right to believe as you will. But placing caring for the poor and needy as a civil priority does not make one a socialist, nor show a lack of faith.

President Monson has been a shinning example here.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    Dec. 30, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Oh LDS Lib: great to see you took my advice and came supporting the prophet you raise your hand to sustain.

In your attempt to slam those who don't believe like you and condemn LDS church memebers who are opposed to unconstitutional mandates, you forget to tell the rest of the story.

But hey, you wouldn't be you if you didn't try to disguise Satan's plan as the Lord's plan on each and every thread.

Go President Monson and all who follow the Lord and help the poor and needy because it is the right thing to do!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 30, 2011 12:50 p.m.

I can't help but believe Pres. Monson's adding the more Liberal; 4th Mission of the LDS Church, must've helped.

1. Proclaim the gospel;
    2. Perfect the Saints;
    3. Redeem the dead; and
    4. Care for the poor and needy.

All those years of helping the poor old Widows and Immigrants, being the very 1st to help....

Go President Monson.

• john in az tempe, az
    Dec. 30, 2011 12:28 p.m.

If the calls were evenly divided by state that would be 1019 calls, 20 calls per state.

1% of 1019 = 10.19

so with almost 2% of the calls made to residents of Utah, it is not surprising that at most 11 people mentioned President Monson.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 30, 2011 9:38 a.m.

I am happy for President Monson and he seems like a good man who deserves to be recoginzed and honored; Pat Robinson and the other prophets should have been selected also.

• kenny Sterling Heights, MI
    Dec. 30, 2011 9:26 a.m.

I think it would be well for us to each make our own list of people we admire and then set out to incorporate the good things we admire in that person into our own lives. Our lists will include family members, neighbors, other relatives,local church and civic leaders and so forth just to name a few possibilities. I know President Monson would be on my list but so would my parents and some of my friends as well. Doing this gives the poll a whole new meaning. I admire President Monson for all the good things I see in him. He is tops in my book.So start making your lists and set some good goals to be like the ones we most admire in our own lives.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 6:36 p.m.

I'm not surprised, when I learned how young he was when called as a Bishop, and that he never quit serving "his" widows, and even today visits those who still are living, I am reminded of what service really means. That our Prophet finds time to do that, still, is a lesson in itself! His sense of humor, way with a story, his ability to teach, his humble way of being, every Church member has heard stories, and he never says a lot about himself, it's all what others have said. How can one not admire that? He is number one in my book, and although I do not want to take away from what others have done--and I'm sure President Monson would not want us to deny anyone's good works--I would put him right at the top of any list.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Mc @ 9:40 AM: Are you telling us that Fox News didn't really do it's homework. I can't imagine that...

As for people concerned that Mormons are 2% yet President Monson only got 1%, keep in mind that half of Mormondom across the county is "less active." Also, a sampling of 1000 respondents could just as easily contain no LDS members as have 20 or even 50.

• Chile3 APO, AA
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:44 p.m.

Great honor for a great man. But the part of this story that is truly disturbing, due to what it reveals about what Americans hold has the standard of admiration, is the fact that they admire politicians...and two of the most corrupt of our lifetime to boot....Hillary and Obama. Two politicians who have made their carrers on a progressive encroachment of government on individual freedoms in the name of social causes aimed at confiscating the fruit of one man's labor to give it to others to gain the votes of those constiuents. The great political thinker, Thomas Sowell, summarized this Alinsky style radicalism of Obama and Hillary who he said organize: "the resentments and paranoia within a community, directing those feelings against other communities, from whom either benefits or revenge are to be gotten, using whatever rhetoric or tactics will accomplish that purpose." If that is what Americans find admirable, I'm ashamed to be called an American.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:27 p.m.

They should have put this poll out in North Korea. Similar to what we see here, it would have skewed the results, but not have reflected the larger society of man.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:13 p.m.

If LDS make up 2% of the US population, then I wonder why Thomas Monson only received 1%.

Persons I most admire is my 3 children for their acts of kindness to me and my wife. I also admire my siblings who are taking care of my elderly sickly parents in my absence as they are thankfully only a few minutes drive away while myself and other siblings are at least a half day or more drive away. Above all, I most admire my wife who has welcomed my children into her life.

As for public figures, I most admire teachers, fireman and law enforcement and military folks who teach protect and defend.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 3:15 p.m.

#1 on my list.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Didn't you know that already?

I must confess, it puzzles me why that would be the case. Monson did nothing to earn his position. He did nothing to be elected to his position. If I understand Mormon belief as regards "callings", he did not aspire to nor do anything to "merit" the position he is currently in.

By contrast, with the possible exception of Pope Benedict, everyone else on that list is "admired" because of their accomplishments and achievements - because they "earned" the honors, glory, and positions they occupy.

Dec. 29, 2011 2:11 p.m.

I am juts thrilled to death that Kim Kardashian didn't garner top spot for most admired females. Perhaps there is hope for this nation, but I doubt it.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:43 p.m.

In reporting this story, I think the Deseret News has a responsibility to mention that people such as Donald Trump and Newt Gingrich were tied with President Monson at 1 percent as the low-enders in this top 10 list and that LDS make up 2 percent of the U.S. population. The poll basically shows that many of us Latter-day Saints admire President Monson.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:48 a.m.

President Monson definately deserved the award but some of the people mentioned in the article are very questionable.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:47 a.m.

This poll showed that 17% voted for Obama and Clinton. That means 83% did not!

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:34 a.m.

I Americans knew President Monson for what he is and what he's done...he would easily be number one. President Monson, though, is in no popularity contest, and has no desire other than to serve God the best he can.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:58 a.m.

The Gallup results provide interesting insights if you take time to dig into the results. Other Websites indicate the sample size of the Gallup survey was 1019 people. If the LDS Population was modeled accurately we should represent about 20 people- or two percent in the poll. For some reason only half of this 20 chose to Most admire President Monson. I wonder who those Saints are? But what was most surprising was Other seemed to consistently beat out the so-called Leaders. I would assume others are parents, siblings or people who are in frequent interaction the poll participants. I find this healthy that a sizeable portion of the American public is not wrapped in the worship of Cult of personality. So what does the poll mean with Gingrich, the Pope and Bill Gates being more popular than President Monson? Perhaps we game the polls better than other minority groups disproportionately to our polling size

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:52 a.m.

This list tells more about Americans than it does about those on the list.

Most Admired" - what does that really mean?

17% of people "most admire" Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama.

Clinton has been the Most Admired Woman each of the last 10 years, and Obama has been the Most Admired Man four years in a row.

Three times as many people "most admire" George W. Bush than President Monson and Twice as many "most admire" former President Bill Clinton (who was impeached for unmentionable behavior).

The list includes Billy Graham and Warren Buffett ahead of Monson, and Monson tied with Newt Gingrich, Donald Trump, Pope Benedict, and Bill Gates.

It appears people most admire the rich, the powerful, or the famous/popular: fame, fortune, & power... All things warned against by Jesus and Holy Scripture.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:40 a.m.

When Fox News reported on the top 10 they didn't even mention Pres. Monson, though his name and picture were up there. Obviously, they didn't know who he was or why he would be in the top 10. Too bad they didn't do a little research so they could tell their audience who that 10th person is. I'll bet a lot of people were wondering who "Monson" was. They sure missed the chance for a great story. Pres. Monson is an amazing person!

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Moderators, what? Afraid to let someone give an explanation of their opinion that isn't all "faith promoting"?

2nd attempt:

It's hard to admire someone who calls upon his followers to disenfranchise his fellow American Citizens.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 8:54 a.m.

If people knew of his private acts of kindness, they would be even more impressed.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:33 a.m.

Well, Mitt did not make the list. Maybe President Monson should run for President.......

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 2:05 a.m.

It does not matter if he only received 1% of the vote. What matters is that he is recognized for who he is. You do not have to be Mormon to look up to President Monson.

• skylinestar saltlake city, utah
    Dec. 29, 2011 12:47 a.m.

He is very much Admired and a person who listens

• Mike Winder WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Congratulations, President Monson! I personally appreciate your lifelong example of caring for others and taking the time to serve your fellow man in even small acts, despite the busy demands of your schedule. We also love that you spent many boyhood summers at your Grandpa Condie's farm out here in Granger--long before we became West Valley City.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:58 p.m.

With LDS at 2% of US population, 1% equals half of LDS polled, selected President Monson.

Compare to Catholics at 22% US population, their 1% for the Pope is the one I raise my eye browse over....

• Morgan_Freeman's_Voice Provo, Zion
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Why did he only receive 1% of the vote.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:02 p.m.

I'm currently reading President Monson's biography, "To The Rescue," and as much as I admired him before, I admire even more now.

Specifically, his work in dealing with communist leaders in the former East Germany in getting a temple built behind the Iron Curtain was nothing short of miraculous.

Along with that, his memory skills and work ethic are also quite incredible.

Sure, there are some who likely look at President Monson with different levels of criticism or contempt. That should be expected when it comes to the head of any major religious denomination. But those who have watched him over the years has he has conducted sessions of General Conference, dedicated temples and reached out to leaders of other faiths know the man has tremendous character and strength.

President Monson, we love you!

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:19 p.m.

He should be on the list just for what he has done for scouting, not to mention that other thing he does..oh, yeah, being a Prophet of God on this mortal plain

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Shaun - he got 1 percent of the vote. On average, LDS make up 2 percent of the population.

Very well deserved but a little discouraging who else got 1 percent of the vote.

Lets see if we can get him to 2 percent next year

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Dec. 28, 2011 7:35 p.m.

I am so glad he made it. He has such a good outlook on life and is so humorous. Good going, President Monson.

• shaun_ SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 7:33 p.m.

I don't get how that many people know him.

• Kurt Matthia Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 7:17 p.m.

I think I missed the link in the article, but thanks for reporting on it.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 6:42 p.m.

well deserved. he should be #1.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    Dec. 28, 2011 6:10 p.m.

Well deserved. He's certainly on my list.