Utah

Highlights from 2011 'financial responsibility'

Comments

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Corporations are only people when they are giving (bribe) money to politicians.

They are exempt from being people when it comes to consequences of their actions though.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 5:04 p.m.

'I wonder how many other cities "look the other way" with respect to unoccupied property maintenance issues at the behest of the mortgage companies or banks?' - Fitness Freak | 3:47 p.m. Dec. 27, 2011

I would agree.

When I lived in WVC the forclosed homes I passed by always had:

Lawns overgrown or brown.
    Snow removal, never done.

It became a burden to the remaining neighbors to try to improve their own homes, while less than 20 feet away, a home was falling apart.

Banks forclose on homes.

But we can only cite residents?

That is so selective, so discriminatory to ONLY favor big business...

it stinks.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 3:47 p.m.

The DN touches on an interesting point. WVC sends around the ordinance enforcement folks (a.k.a. the "lawn police")to make sure existing property owners keep their yards maintained, but the homes that are foreclosed on aren't bothered.

WVC does have the ability to "bill" the legal owner of the property for the maintenance, but I've never seen that happen. Yards get totally trashed.

Maybe if the legal owner of the property (whoever that is)HAD TO pay for the maintenance of the property they'd be less likely to put the people out on the street?

Regardless, my point is, WVC ONLY seems to enforce property maintenance on properties that are occupied.

There SHOULD BE a cost to the owner of the mortgage in foreclosure.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 27, 2011 1:49 p.m.

marxist | 10:29 a.m. Dec. 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "And of course, this being the Deseret News, this series will find that the financial collapse of 2007-2008 was entirely the responsbility of everyday working class people. "

@marxist, No problem -- Romney will save us all!!!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 11:15 a.m.

OK, I take you at your word. I hope you can offer some useful advice. Many need it.

• Michael De Groote
    Dec. 27, 2011 10:48 a.m.

marxist 10:29 a.m. Dec. 27, 2011 wrote "And of course, this being the Deseret News, this series will find that the financial collapse of 2007-2008 was entirely the responsibility of everyday working class people."
    Sorry, but that isn't my conclusion.
    My beat is more concerned with helping people out.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT