Sports

BYU football: Some Cougars happy for 'home' game

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:45 p.m.

@Scott Farcus

Glad I can get that kind of reaction out of you with a post like that. I wonder what your reaction was when Utah lost at home to a 2-10 team?

Besides, judging by the polls, even after the BYU-Utah game, it seems that those of you laughing at my post are the minority.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Dec. 27, 2011 11:28 p.m.

To: Y Grad / Y Dad | 12:07 a.m. Dec. 27, 2011 - First, I am not making any stand on what the Univ. of Utah does. My comment was about BYU and the upcoming bowl game. The U did not come out and make any other statement about moving to the Pac-12 other than it was about money and a bigger conference association. BYU on the other hand came out and talked all about national exposure when in fact it was about the money. For BYU, this was probably one of the worst seasons regarding exposure you would want for a program. There were numerous games against second tier teams on TV where half the seats were empty. My only comment was to show some class and cancel the bowl game and get your act together for next year. Stand up and simply say it was all about the money and leave it at that.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 27, 2011 5:08 p.m.

PAC 12 loves U | 10:05 a.m. Dec. 27, 2011
    Sandy, Utah
    @ Y Grad / Y Dad

Fair question. If the roles were reversed and you came on a BYU article trash talking, hmmm, yes, I would make fun of your bowl game to your face (digitally speaking). IF I showed up on your article, I would be praising coach Whit for getting his team ready to compete for a spot in the top 25.

Oh, and we called Wazoo a quality opponent for your benefit. One point victory in over time. Quality.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 12:54 p.m.

@pac 12 loves u

If BYU was playing in el paso it would still be the worst destination in the UAS. Of course you're not going there anyway, neither are any other utah "fans", so all of the bragging it up is nothing more than laughable.

However the Armed Forces Bowl will be filled with Cougar fans and Dallas/Ft. Worth is a great place to go. Of course el paso would be filled with BYU fans if that is where they went. Just the difference between a regional pac12 bottom feeder and a well known team with more national accolades and a bigger fanbase than it's little brother to the north.

As far as utah's matchup is concerned, well it is probably a good one, two unranked and mediocre teams that won't travel. Congratulations?

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 27, 2011 10:05 a.m.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad

Wasn't that an awesome game to watch back on September 17th? I'm surprised you still remember the day when Utah took BYU to the shed and beat the living daylights out them.

"Spin and sell all you want, but watch the ratings, the attendance and watch the rankings. What you will find out is that people don't want to SEE El Paso on tv any more than they want to travel there".

Y Grad / Y Dad, if the roles were reversed and BYU was in the Sun Bowl playing an ACC team and Utah was in Dallas playing Tulsa. Would you be praising the Sun Bowl and making fun of our bowl match up? Remember Washington State the "bottom feeders" of the Pac-12 you Y fans like to make fun of? A few weeks ago, BYU schedules them for next year and you guys call them a quality Pac-12 opponent for your schedule. When people watch football games, they don't care about geography, they care about their team and who they're playing. You Y fans are so desperate to find a way to down play Utah's success.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 9:14 a.m.

@BYU people,

You guys are hilarious.

Good luck in your "home game" with the game against your twin, relevance wannabes.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 27, 2011 12:07 a.m.

The Deuce

Sorry, duece, not buyin. Ute fans bragging about their 2 mil then bagging on the Y how it was only about the money? Two teams playing for a spot in the top 25 is somehow not relevant, yet the last significant thing the team on the hill did was September 17th?

Spin and sell all you want, but watch the ratings, the attendance and watch the rankings. What you will find out is that people don't want to SEE El Paso on tv any more than they want to travel there.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Dec. 26, 2011 11:48 p.m.

First of all, the only thing anyone can comment on is that this is a bowl game. Not the best bowl, probably one of the bottom feeders. But then again, this has been BYU's year as an independent and the entire Cougar athletic department trying to sell this as an exposure thing when all it came down to was $$$$. The rest of the athletic department was thrown under the bus. Does this look like a trend with BYU Athletics? The Cougars qualified as "bowl eligible" on the back of some very weak teams. You can spin this game any way you want but this season was decided a long time ago. You can't trash talk Utah as they showed up on the the field against the Cougars. Let's just end this season with class and call off the bowl game or be honest with the fans about the $$$'s and drop the hype about exposure.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 8:31 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

" Actually, I'm 95% sure that if BYU had given their best effort, they would have beat up Utah pretty bad."

THUMP! that was me. when I hit the floor from laughter!

Riverton Cougie, you can't be serious!

Im amazed that you would even post that!

That is classic Cougies at their best.

Ive got to go, Im laughing so hard Im going to pass out!

See ya later Band of Lil Brothers.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 6:24 p.m.

"Don't bother bringing up our loss to Colorado for revenge sake. At least Utah didn't quit!"

Which means that Utah's best effort wasn't enough to beat Colorado, but we'll never know about whether or not BYU would have beat Utah if BYU had given their best effort. Actually, I'm 95% sure that if BYU had given their best effort, they would have beat up Utah pretty bad.

Thanks for clarifying that for us.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 5:55 p.m.

@elmer fudd

"At least utah didn't quit!"

They just didn't even bother to show up. Hard to quit when you aren't even there and against colorado they weren't even there. This has been a common problem with whittingham's teams, they think they are better than they are and don't bother preparing for, or playing in, the game. This happened against colorado this year, tcu, notre dame and boise st last year, unlv, new mexico, wyonimg, colorado st, you name it they didn't even show up for it.

Then of course there are the 3 games they simply quit in this year, asu, washington, and california.

Pretty pathetic.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 4:36 p.m.

@ Jackr-as

"If Ga-Tech is worried about a team with an offense ranked #110 in the nation, then they might as well not show up".

I can't stop laughing and your pathetic comment! Utah's terrible 110 ranked offense brought BYU's defense to their knees to the point where they were begging for their misery to end. BYU's defense just rolled over and played dead like an old worn out hound dog. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 3:25 p.m.

all you byu haters just need to give it a rest, congratulate both teams for going to a bowl game and hope they both win GO UTES, GO COUGARS WIN

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Love 2 trall

haha, you were the first one to comment, says a lot about how easy it is to get you to notice big brother's every move.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 2:53 p.m.

"Getting a rise out of Cougie fans really is too easy."

Getting a rise out of the Ute offense is not easy, unfortunately for you haters.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Getting a rise out of Cougie fans really is too easy.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Utesies,

If Ga-Tech is worried about a team with an offense ranked #110 in the nation, then they might as well not show up.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 1:54 p.m.

love2 troll

Boy I can't stop laughing, The utes are a "very relevant and tough team." uhhhhh why?
    By losing and looking very pitiful doing it, at home to a 2 win team?
    Getting blown out 3 times in conference games?
    By being 7-5?
    lol, not sure why that makes them so relevant and tough.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 1:47 p.m.

Mr. Obvious,
    Hmmm,so ridiculous you took the bait and added your pathetic two cents to all the lost U fans who have nothing better to do than comment on Y articles. Like I said, no problem with the football program, but some of you U fans are too sad!
    Nice.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 26, 2011 1:17 p.m.

@ Mr. Obvious

I gave no spin at all little brother. I gave FACTS. You are the one spinning my friend. You can't face the fact that both BYU and Tulsa are ranked higher than the Utes so you try to pull a non-related red herring out of your hat.

Major fallacy of logic.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 26, 2011 12:04 p.m.

By the way, did you notice in the LV bowl, ASU players chippin' away, trash talking Boise State, all the while being served their lunch in a brown paper bag? Reminded me of last year. I really am glad this year Whit has the team on a more disciplined footing.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 26, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Thanks for confirming our relevance by visiting our space!

End of the day, two teams playing for one more win, winner ends the year in the top 25 (and nobody is gonna ask you why you think they don't deserve it, sorry!). That's relevant.

Or the next day, doesn't matter who wins except in two very small markets. More money, but fewer viewers, fewer attendees. Just doesn't matter.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 26, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Heard from a GT Troll - Wow, I wish I could see my team in Dallas playing a team full of somebodies instead of a team full of nobodies in El Paso.

re: ute troll - one game does not a season make. I know of nobody, other than a few die hard ute fans, who would think the Utes could beat BYU at this point in the season. The two teams have gone in opposite directions since September 17. BYU is markedly better, Utah has fallen apart.

BYU's win over Tulsa will put us in the Top 25.

Utah's loss to GT will be similar to their spanking by a non-AQ team last year and result in another non-memorable season.

Everyone knows the PAC12 this year consists of Oregon, Stanford, USC and 9 other teams. But nobody really thinks any of the 9 other teams are any more than middle of the PAC at best.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Cougar fans, from this point forward it is clear that there just isnt really any ute fans. Just haters on the hill. So from now on I suggest we just call them what they are HOH's.

My point being, a game against their new "rival" and a chance to play in the championship game and they are short 5,000 fans of a sell out? wow, the HOH's really showed up in support didnt they?

But, then again everyone loves a good HOH....

• Mr. Obvious Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 11:45 a.m.

@ SoUtHapa

" I personally have no problem with the U nor their football program but as an avid Y fan, I have no desire nor the time to waste reading about them so I can then waste more time commenting on their articles. I guess to each their own?"

So, why did you take all this time to post such a ridiculous comment?

You and MacNasty, can spin all you want, the fact is, Utah will pull in $2.M over in their bowl over byu's $650K

Hang in there Band of Lil Brothers . . . maybe someday

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 11:05 a.m.

Luv 2 Troll U,

Did you really say "I'm glad" and "El Paso" in the same sentence? Okay. Enjoy! While you're down there take in a lovely day in Jaurez too.

However, having said that, I think just for having to go and stay in El Paso, their program deserves every penny they get from this bowl game. I think they are a lot better team, certainly better coached, than the Colorado debacle, just as I believe BYU is a much better team than 54-10. Good luck against GTech!

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 26, 2011 10:59 a.m.

@ Luv 2 Troll U

Sorry, but I don't believe you at all or your GT fans are utterly ignorant. Utah is ranked #49 in the BCS poll and BYU is ranked #32. According to the BCS, BYU is significantly more relevant than the Utes.

Your ignorance is also showing. GT is currently ranked #33 in the BCS rankings which is one lower than BYU. Tulsa is ranked #40.

A bowl (Armed Forces)featuring teams ranked #32 and #40 is better than a bowl (Sun) featuring teams ranked #33 and #49.

Spin all you want my friend, but you'll only make yourself dizzy.

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 10:08 a.m.

BYU has a perfect fit for a bowl game, another team that thinks they are somebody, beats the creampuffs of their conference and loses to all decent teams. Oh wait, they aren't all that similar, Tulsa is in a conference and has something to play for.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 10:08 a.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad

Y Daddy, Geo Tech fans want revenge on the last GT vs Utah game, were Utah beat them 38-10 in the Emerald Bowl.

Not quite the beat down the Cougies received last Sept. 54 -10, but against an ACC opponent the Utes will take it!

Relevance? Action does speak louder that words.

Hang in there Band of Lil Brothers

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad,

That's funny because I heard some Georgia Tech fans say that Utah is very relevant and a tough team to beat because they beat their rivals BYU 54-10.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 26, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Luv 2 Troll U,

Yes but the GT team and fans are all saying "wish we could be playing a team that is relevant like either of the teams in Dallas. Instead all we get is a team that couldn't beat colorado at home when a shot at the rose bowl was on the line."

Sorry, my internal conflict got the better of me again. Good luck to the Utah football team!

And to the under-the-bridge gang, may your tvs all malfunction and only show replays of BYU's 1984 NC game in the holiday bowl.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Wow, I'm glad I can see my team in El Paso play a team full of somebodies and not a team full of nobodies in Dallas.