BYU football: Eason has thrived in BYU's unique environment

• Blue Chelan56 Chelan, WA
    Dec. 26, 2011 4:01 p.m.

I have to admit, having played and coached fb. for many long yrs., that I was one of those early skeptics of Corby!The Opposing defenses picked on him early and I was conserned, but as that " special close group" surrounding him took him under their wing, he progressed each season, until he actually blossomed into a very capable Corner for his senior year.Congrats to all of that group, as well as Corby ,for believing.Now he has made a believer out of me.Go Cougs!

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Dec. 26, 2011 12:58 p.m.

Thanks uteology - great comment! You moved from fort worth, oh well I guess texas no longer has a single utah fan.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 9:55 a.m.

"I remember just going to class like everyone else, but everyone else would just stare at me." -- Eason

Um, interesting. I wonder how many non-LDS African American recruits that actually have an offer from another D1 school will line up to come to BYU?

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 11:54 p.m.

Corby Eason is a man who seeks to understand. That quality will wear well for him over his life. Best wishes and thanks for your presence at BYU. The community is better from you.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 11:53 p.m.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:23 p.m.

Thanks Wayne for the comment. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• ISLANDA Stansbury Park, ut
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:17 p.m.

Corby your life will be much more than football after going to school at BYU.. keep it up man.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Great story. Keep them coming Brandon G....

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 6:58 p.m.

Re: Howard S.

I hope that the reason we don't here any feel good stories up at the U isn't because there aren't any to share. The only off-the-field stories we hear about from the U are like the ones about Nai Fotu. I think we forget that these are actually human beings that are down on the field playing the game that we love.

To all the decent people at the U and the Y, and even the indecent ones, Have a Merry Christmas.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 6:03 p.m.

I have to agree with all the other posters except howie, great story to read on christmas day. great young man as well. glad to see he's turning his life around for the better.and i have to admit he and i both come from georgia and its pretty hard to convince us to get baptized in the lds church because of our own baptist faith in the south. but like bronco said it doesnt matter what faith you are as long as your making the world a better place. merry christmas everyone.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Inspiring story. I am happy to read about someone who is looking to make himself a better man instead of all of the stories about people who denigrate themselves by breaking the law, or whatever else is scandalous and is in the news that day. Thank you for this piece.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 25, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Wonderful story. It is great to see any young person find the right pathway for their life. Coming to BYU will open the door to many great opportunities for Eason and others. It is great to see people want to grow and improve

• peterpanedU OREM, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Great story my son is a player on the team and speaks highly of Corby, he has told me also what a great young man you are, glad you came to Provo, you have had a great season. Well done young man!!! Go Cougars kick some Tulsa Butt!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Merry Christmas!

Cheer up man!

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Grow up Howie. This is a story of a great young making important decisions that have changed his life for the better. It has nothing to do with the BYU-Utah rivalry.

• TheTruth801 SLC, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Great story! This is an excellent example that there are non-LDS players that can fit in at BYU. To me, this is what the Church and BYU is all about. It is not just for lifelong members. Hopefully we will se more of this at BYU.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 10:02 a.m.

Dear Howard S.,
    Thank you on this Christmas Day for reminding us of a fundamental difference between Utah and BYU emphases, e.g football conference accolades that last a season versus personal development that lasts an eternity. Guard your treasures well so that moths do not corrupt. And a very Merry Christmas from we Utah grads.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Howard S. | 12:21 a.m. Dec. 25, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT

The point of this uplifting story has little to do with conference affiliations. It has to do with a journey of faith and personal redemption. You are partially right, "Nothing more really needs to be said." I hope you will follow your own advice.

• Festus riverton, utah
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I just love it when these atheletes come to BYU and have sucess. I'm inspired by Corby, wish him continued sucess in life and thank him for being the kind of person he is.
    Guess what, Howard S, I am inspired by any player that rises to the top even if they go to The U, and the DN does stories about their atheletes, too. Too bad you missed the point. Oh well Merry Christmas to you, Howard. Take off the Bah Humbug glasses.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:16 a.m.

What a great story. I loved reading this this morning. Merry Christmas all, even Howard S.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 25, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Woderful story about what sports is supposed to be about; winning in life!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Really, you got up this Christmas morning and the first thought of the day was a negative stab at some one who has turned his life story into nothing but success.

Obviously a glass half empty out look.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 7:26 a.m.

Great story Jeff, Eason's BYU experience is full of hope, courage and self awareness. This inspirational story was a fun Christmas morning read.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 4:54 a.m.

I have ment Mr. Eason and he is a class act.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 12:21 a.m.

Great young man.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 12:21 a.m.

You play the WAC/MWC/CUSA, and your bowl game is a third tier event that doesn't even pay you enough to take your band... nothing more really needs to be said.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 11:30 p.m.

The recent run of feel good stories by the DN makes me believe some kids on the hill are green with jealousy.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Dec. 24, 2011 11:09 p.m.

Nice story on a terrific young man and important player in BYU's backfield.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 11:06 p.m.

The recent run of feel good stories by the DN makes me believe the Cougars must be struggling on the recruiting front.

• sandrus cedar Hills/ utah, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 9:43 p.m.

That is a great story, I love the fact that inspite of everyone telling him he couldn't play at a D1 school, he had faith in himself and he worked hard to accomplish his goals. He certainly turned himself into a very good player at BYU. I saw a piece on Corby on BYUtv and it showed his hometown and his upbringing and the impact his mother had on his life. It was very humbling and inspiring to watch. Congratulations on becoming the man your mother dreamed of you becoming. Good luck in the future Corby!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 24, 2011 8:49 p.m.

This is another great story. Thanks for playing Corby at BYU. We're a better team because of you.