Sports

Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors at center of 2 huge roster shakeups

Comments

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 2:47 p.m.

The biggest problem with all the projections regarding the starting line is when Bell is listed as a starter, it will probably happen, but that is the one starter I don't want to see. I think Bell is past being a major contributor and I'd like to see Burks get all his minutes. Hayward needs to start and get major minutes, he will only get better and more comfortable with more playing time. Same can be said or Favors, Favors could end up being great, I hope he gets pushed to reach his potential. I hope Milsap will accept the role of 6th man, he will get plenty of minutes and his versatility should keep him on the floor plenty. I think I see a different attitude in CJ this yr, so time will tell whether or not he can prove to be consistent, if he does, he will be a big contributor for this team, if he doesn't he needs more & more time on the pine.

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 1:00 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, to see Corbin start Bell and Miles. Simply because it's the first game against the Lakers and all the young guys will be nervous, much like the first Portland preseason game. You could tell they were all so nervous/anxious to play that they were having a hard time focusing. Bell and CJ won't have that, so it might be good just for the first game to start them and keep everyone a little more calm.

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Predicted Lineup for tomorrow:
    Harris
    Miles*
    Howard
    Favors
    Jefferson
    Bench:
    Watson
    Burks
    Evans
    Milsap
    Kanter

*on CJ because I believe he'll be the first player pulled, and it will be before the 1st quarter is half way over. I think Corbin sees that CJ has already peaked and is going to start using him less and less, giving most of those minutes to Evans/Burks/Hayward

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Dec. 26, 2011 8:48 a.m.

I agree,Jefferson,Favors,Millsap,Hayward and Harris,that`s a BIG starting group,and we will force teams to adjust to our lineup rather than vice-versa,second group Kanter,Evans,Miles,Burks,Watson,CJ really seems to be a better 6th man than a starter,GO JAZZ...beat LA!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Dec. 26, 2011 8:04 a.m.

we still have a potential top 8-10 draft pick the Goldenstate pick...

i like this lineup
    Jefferson
    Favors
    Millsap
    Hayward
    Harris

Kanter
    Evans
    Howard
    Burks
    Watson

i dont think on a system that requires a ton of passing is the best offense for CJ...i think CJ would flourish with teams that are run and gun and more free-flowing offense probably Goldenstate...with that being said...can we trade him exception and harris for Stephen Curry?

• chiefbrady Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 10:12 p.m.

I'm really sorry but the only way Karl Malone and Carlos Boozer should ever be mentioned in the same sentence would be to say "Carlos is no Malone."

Meanwhile, this team is exciting! I met Kanter in the mall and he is nowhere near 6'11" - maybe 6'8" but not a ginormous dude. Talent galore but not a 7' guy.

As for Favors, he has what a lot of veteran players don't have - a good attitude. That and a lot of hard work is going to pay big dividends. Proud to have players like that in this state (whether we win or not).

Go Jazz! I'm psyched to watch the dynasty begin!

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Favors really looks good. He has a smooth temperment as well. There are similarities to Karl Malone. Kanter is the other "new kid on the block". Things are looking up. The missing link obviously is that young quick point guard. They need to keep their eyes on Bradley Beal of Florida who will be "one and done". He was the high school Gatorade player of the year last year from St. Louis Chaminade (as is David Lee). If they could get him somehow, some way, they would have that young triangle that would be tough to beat.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Dec. 25, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Captain L, I too have reservations about Millsap playing the 3 all the time; however, in order to keep Paul happy, I think having him play the 3 when the matchups allow is a good idea.

Millsap would an incredible 6th man but I don't want him to feel like he's being demoted. Jerry Sloan use to say, "It isn't important who starts, only who finishes." But players see starting as a badge of honor and hate feeling like they are second string players.

When possible, I would love to see Millsap, Favors and Kanter play together. That's a tough defensive front line that should scare the beegeezus out of most teams.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Dec. 25, 2011 11:32 a.m.

I think in the long run Favors and Kanter will start with Jefferson leaving in a trade. I would, though, be very disappointed if Milsap was traded and Jefferson kept. Besides his admirable work ethic, there are teams that just can't stop Milsap (of course, there are teams he has problems rebounding and scoring against, too). Many posts see Kanter as a C and Favors as a PF but I think they should just handle those two positions with Favors guarding the better offensive player from the opposing team. Sometimes, that will mean he defends as a center. Utah will probably draft a point guard next year, but if they draft a small forward, I think they should let Burks fill in from time to time at point. He is an excellent passer with long arms and his passes coming out of the point would be so hard to defend.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 10:14 a.m.

I would love to see Burks show he can play D well enough that Corbin can put him in the game more and more, he has great skills and my preference would be for him to end up playing the point. Hope it happens sooner rather than later.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Gordon over Jimmer: If Evans can show he can play the 3, I would agree with you, I would love to see Evans play the 3, he is long, athletic, has a good shot and can play D, the problem is right now he isn't quit there, where he can play the 3 consistently, confidence in his shooting is a problem, he has a good shot, just has a problem pulling the trigger.
    I would agree with rvalens2 if I thought Milsap could play the 3 all the time but instead of him being able to play the 3 all the time, I think it will be occasionally against certain matchups but less than 20% of the time. I would like to see it different but not seeing it now. Hope I'm wrong.

• Gordon over Jimmer CORONA, CA
    Dec. 25, 2011 9:51 a.m.

C Kanter 6'11"
    PF Favors 6'10"
    SF Evans 6'10"
    SG hayward 6'8"
    PG burks 6'6"

This could potentially be Utah's starting line up one day. A couple years ago our biggest weakness was that we weren't tall enough to be able to compete with the top level teams in the league like the Lakers. I get goosebumps just thinking that this could one day possibly be our starting five if they all pan out to be good players. Thats a lot of blocked shots right there.

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 6:44 a.m.

WhatsOnItForMe,
    I generally agree with what you say but I with Devin Harris. Harris is a should continue to be the starting point guard. Watson is not a starter and shouldn't be-- he's a 10-15mins a game type of guy.

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 3:21 a.m.

I agree with WhatsInIt but I think that ppl are underestimating Tinsley. Harris is not improving and I think Bell is way past his prime. I do not know what people are expecting from Bell. We will lose so many games if Corbin goes with Bell in the starting line up. I also feel that Hayward will have a break out year.

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 12:13 a.m.

rvalens2, you got it dead on in my mind. There might be a couple games millsap should not play small forward but otherwise I think thats a fantastic lineup! Big, athletic, with the perfect guys spreading the floor in harris, hayward and millsap, then the down low threats of favors and jefferson. I love it!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2011 10:59 p.m.

From what I've seen so far, I think this is the best pecking order for the most consistent production:

PG: 1) Watson, 2) Harris, 3) Tinsley
    SG: 1) Hayward, 2) Burks, 3) Bell
    SF: 1) Miles, 2) Evans, 3) Howard
    PF: 1) Favors, 2) Millsap, 3) Howard
    C: 1) Jefferson, 2) Kantor, 3) Favors

All current players are accounted for. Whether the 3rds get floor time depends on who's producing, who's injured, etc.

Yup, I think Watson's more consistent in running the offense than is Harris. S'why I thought Jimmer should have been grabbed, even in lieu of Kantor.

Hayward belongs at SG. The Jazz don't have anyone else that can defend that spot effectively and still shoot the trey, too.

Until Howard proves his worth, I'm satisfied with having him at 3rd in those two positions.

As far as putting Burks ahead of Bell at SG backup, I think that's warranted. They both might end up playing the same number of minutes per game by year's end, anyway.

This team has depth, it seems. But, who can shoot consistently? Defense is one thing, but you can't win if you don't score. Pretty simple, really.

• Silly Rabbit Small Town, USA, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Well as a JAZZ fan this season will require me to be patient the first half of this season, it will take them a bit to mesh and get some chemistry. I cant wait to see Milsap and Favors run as a 4 and 5 it will be fun to watch them with some quick players. I think some of us fans need to remember that we need some scoring t come off the bench on the second unit that can finish a game.

Its going to be a fun season, as a young team with younger legs in a short condensed season they have an advantage over some of the older teams in the league. If they make the playoffs they just might have a chance to make some noise. GO JAZZ

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 24, 2011 9:03 p.m.

I will bet alot of mulah that Burks will also be a big contributor in a year or so, watch! He may be our future PG also. Kanter, Burks, Favors, Hayward, and Evans will be our future cornerstones.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 8:50 p.m.

rvalens2: If I thought Milsap could play the 3 full time I'd agree with you but I'm not sure he can keep up with the 3's on D. Some matchups I think he would be good and I hope Corbin uses him that way.
    My prefered starting lineup would be:
    Harris, although I worry about him
    Hayward
    Miles
    Favors
    Jefferson
    2nd unit
    Watson
    Burks
    Howard
    Milsap
    Kanter

• bonuntr RICHFIELD, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 8:19 p.m.

No doubt Favors is the center piece in this phase of the Jazz history. He seems to know how to work hard, (sound like a young Malone from a few years back?). With the right chemistry and people around him, who knows,(dare I think it?), maybe someday a championship!!!

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Dec. 24, 2011 7:51 p.m.

I believe we will all be looking back in a year or two and be very happy the Jazz traded away Deron Williams and picked up Derrick Favors.

My preferred lineups for the Jazz this year would be:

1st Unit
    Jefferson
    Favors
    Millsap
    Hayward
    Harris

2nd Unit
    Kanter
    Evans
    Howard
    Miles
    Watson

And then mix and match them as needed depending on how the Jazz match up against the opponent. Tinsley, Burks and Bell can be used for mop up and relief.