Sports

Utah Utes football: Norm Chow to be head coach at Hawaii

Comments

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 24, 2011 12:22 p.m.

I am so very happy for him. He absolutely deserves this opportunity. I hope he is able to make the most of it.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Sorry BiggerUtefan I guess I'm the silly one today. Got to be honest with ya, never really thought about where the coaches have come from. Just know that they really do a pretty good job at both places. Just trying to have some fun. The duck man does the same thing, the others I think they are just young and don't know any better.

Merry Christmas

• BiggerUtefan Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 2:37 p.m.

(-cont)
    @Portland Beavers

...season and he contemplated it but in the end turned them down. Since he retired they've only had 2 other coaches. Crowton turned out to be an utter disaster and all Cougar fans readily acknowledge that. He's not getting any HC jobs but he has certainly been able to land marquee OC jobs at prestigious football schools like Oregon, LSU, etc.

What's silly about your post is that Norm Chow, Kyle Whittingham, Aaron Roderick and Kalani Sitake are all former BYU coaches. Norm Chow has had quite a track record of high profile jobs since leaving BYU, including the NFL. Kyle also has done pretty well for himself.

BYU has had their share of lame coaches but so has Utah (Stobart, Lovat, etc), what's ironic is the shared history we have with BYU when it comes to good coaches (you can probably throw Utah St in there for that matter). With so many ties together between the 2 institutions, when you put down one, you're putting down the other as well.

• BiggerUtefan Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 2:10 p.m.

@Portland Beavers
    "Why is it that coaches at the U are always on some other schools list, including coach Whit."

Another post that probably should've been thought through before posting. I know Duckhunter gets under your skin, but he only does it for the reaction and when you fire off posts that aren't accurate then it rewards him.

Bronco was on the short list for the UCLA job and asked them to take his name off the list. I think the UCLA job is better than the ASU job that Kyle didn't interview for but was rumored to be interested in.

The only HC job Kyle has been offered, the Tennessee job, he turned down. His offer came after 5 or 6 other coaches before him all turned it down. Even the HC at Duke turned it down before it was offered to Kyle. If the HC at Duke is turning down a job you know it stinks.

For 30 yrs or so BYU had the same coach, Lavell Edwards. Who knows what college jobs he was offered or asked to interview for and declined. We do know that the Detroit Lions wanted him after the 1984 National Championship (cont-)

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Peace and safety to all this holiday season.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:55 a.m.

@eddie

Mark it down, I'm doing that right now. How can you have glory days when you are nothing playing for nothing. That's where the y is headed, 1 loss and you're done. I see more than 1 loss for the cougs next year.

Mark it down

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:09 a.m.

This is a great guy that should have been a head coach years ago. I hate to see him leave Utah but, not under these circumstances. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Good for Coach Chow. He has earned it!

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:45 p.m.

@Duckhunter
    I understand the game perfectly and am not bothered, or fazed, by it in the least.

Yes you are, that's why all the comments come on these Ute articles. You use the words "classless" and "hypocrisy" of Utah fans, the way I see it we are just stating the truth. When was the last time a coach at the Y went somewhere to coach (other than the fired ones). Why is it that coaches at the U are always on some other schools list, including coach Whit.

I personally don't think you have an understanding of the game, you are bothered and fazed by the fact the U has past the cougars by in football. If you really did understand the difference in playing an Arizona State one week and then Cal the next. BYU plays Idaho one week the next week New Mexico State. You say things like "less disrable location in the bottom of the PAC-12", a totally jealous statement, (Provo is a better place). Utah will be just fine and play next year in the PAC-12.

You cannot believe the players (PAC-12) we got to see this year, NFL next.

LOL

Merry Christmas

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 7:04 p.m.

@ Utephan2
    "the glory days might return."

You are correct. Too bad that it was just days for the u and YEARS for BYU. The glory days of the u are in the past and will stay in the past forever more. The glory days of BYU will be right around the corner and will continue again for decades.

Oh and by the way.......Mark it down!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 6:18 p.m.

@Duckhunter
    "Despite my sarcasm I'm actually interested to see what he can do. We are now going to find out if it is real or just hype with this guy."

I hope he does well and I'm interested to see what this does to the Hawaii/BYU rivalry. Next year's game in Provo just got a little more interesting...

• Marine Corps Vet Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:56 p.m.

To williary, utesby3 and others commenting on the darth of coaches having matriculated from BYU, please note article just posted in the DN sports section by the Wall Street Journal wherein WSJ has done a study of all coaches currently at the D-1 level, some 1,300 +/-. Number (1) is Iowa with 16, tied for second is BYU with 15. Utah, to their credit, is also mentioned having spawned 9. Once again, it's best to have the facts before opening mouth or flexing fingers on keyboard. Saves on embarassment.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:55 p.m.

@don't feed the duhhk

You do realize that i don't care what utah "fans" think? You see I realize my "crediblity" to utah "fans" has nothing to do with whether or not I am correct, it is completely dependent on whehter or not I am critical of, or praising, utah and its "fans".

If I got on here and praise utah, and praised it "fans", in otherwords basicly lied a bunch, then you would all deem me "credible". If on the otherhand i get on here and am honest and point out how classless the "fans" are and how hypocritical they are, then I lack "credibility with those "fans".

Merry Christmas!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:40 p.m.

@BigCougar

Nice post. When I read williary's poorly thought out post I also wondered what it was he thought Norm Chow helped utah "accomplish" this season? For the life of me I can't find much in the way of accomplishments at all let alone offensively.

Now if you go back in Norm's history, and to be honest it is getting to be ancient history, he has some accomplishments that probably warranted an opportunity like this one. But nothing he did recently, especially this current season at utah, is going to be all that impressive to "other programs/coaches" unless they are impressed with running the worst offense in your conference and one of the worst in the entire country. Nope that is not what got him this job. His lifetime accomplishments are what got him the job and they seem to have been enough to make this last year at utah, and the previous 3 at ucla, not to damaging to his resume.

• Don't feed the Duhhk South Weber, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:33 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    Th Hailstorm is right. Your criticism of the Utes far outweigh your credibility.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:19 p.m.

@williary
    "This is what happens when your program accomplishes things in the eyes of other programs/coaches. Your coaching staff gets the opportunity to get promoted.

Something BYU just doesn't have to worry about."

Geez, at least put some thought into your posts. Think this through here, you're claiming that Norm's leading Utah to one of the worst offenses in all of college football in his one season is the reason he's getting this job?

Well, of course, it OBVIOUSLY has nothing to do with his 27 yrs as an offensive innovator & pioneer at BYU, developing 3 Heisman winning QB's (including Ty Detmer), success in developing NFL QB's (Nielsen, Wilson, McMahon, Young, Detmer, Rivers, Palmer, Leinart, etc), coaching on a National Championship team (BYU '84 & USC '03 & '04), etc?

Right now, you should prolly just change your profile name and never use williary again because you will always and forever be remembered for one of the most moronic posts ever on a DN article.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:12 p.m.

But failstorm you are the one cataloging all my posts and you are the one that posted them here, in this article about chow, not me. In case you need it explained to you, and it appears that you do, you are the one bringing it up here, not me. Good grief you are basicly beside yourself and unhinged over me. I really enjoy that I have done this to you.

LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:07 p.m.

@Naval Vet

Ok, I don't disagree with any of that. As a matter of fact I think the exact same thing. But I was just being sarcastic for utah "fans" sakes since they have been telling us for a couple of years now how great the pac12 is blah, blah, blah. The point is that being a coordinator at a bottom tier pac12 team in a less than desirable location is not necessarily better than the same job in your home state, which just happens to be a paradise, at a school in a 'lesser' conference. I can see that and it appears you see it as well. Plus I agree with you that replacing him shouldn't be all that difficult. The defense is whittingham's, he can teach it to anyone. I'm sure scally would do just as good a job as sitake given a couple of years.

But it doesn't appear that Sitake is leaving anyway, they have been reporting on the radio today that he has called up several media people to tell them he isn't going to Hawaii. I haven't heard any official statements or interviews yet but that is what they are reporting.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:55 p.m.

@ Duckbutter
    Always the other guy stirring up the mud .
    It's just not like you to accept responsibility for your ill phrased comments,
    Again the article is about Norm Chow and his new HC job, not about the put downs you throw out at random.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"ute coaches running from the program. chow gone and sitake looking to probably follow. But how could this be? utah "fans" have been telling us how being in the pac10 is the end all be all and why would any coach ever want to leave. Sure they'll justify chow's bailing on them by saying he got a promotion but what about sitake? Isn't it a move down?"

A Pac-12 to MWC lateral migration typically IS a move down. But for Sitake, it's at least a chance to return home. He's FROM Hawai'i you know. Nevertheless, this step down may also be a good overall career move for him if he harbors any intentions to succeed the 65-yr old Chow as a Head-Coach-in-waiting. Because THEN, the UH job could be a step up, since Sitake would NOT be considered a Head-Coach-in-waiting at the U.

Losing a great offensive mind in Chow is not good for the Utah program, but replacing Sitake shouldn't be too challenging.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Oh and utah "fans", on the mike sanford topic. It was pretty well reported that whittingham and sanford don't get along and wittingham refused to even shake hands with him after the 27-0 humiliation a few years ago. Then sanford made some derogatory remarks about whittingham, etc.

I believe it all began because sanford thought he should get the utah job over whittingham and chris hill told him he wouldn't get it and then just grew from there. So has that all been put behind them?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:11 p.m.

@the beav

But beav it wasn't me that brought myself into this, it was failstorm. I do enjoy reading your biased posts because they are funny but they are still biased. Hey that's fine but of course all of the ute fan posts about Bronco, Doman, and all the other BYU coaches simply shows that you only look at the supposed "classlessness" from one direction. That is commonly refered to as hypocrisy and that is a true utah "fan" trait.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:10 p.m.

jarka-rus:

"But I still don't understand, isn't the WAC a massive step down from the PAC??"

What I don't understand is how you struggle mindlessly with the notion that a promotion to a Head Coaching position is a massive step UP over a coordinator position. Breaking it down further for you, before the LAST Warrior coach was fired, he was earning $1.1 million/yr. Chow currently makes $275K/yr. For the mathematically disinclined, that's equivalent to a 300% pay raise. And that's not even all....Did you know that Chow is FROM Hawai'i? This creates a chance for him to return home, so that would be yet ANOTHER reason why he'd want to leave SLC.

So did THAT simplify his motives a bit easier for you?

And for what it's worth, Hawai'i played it's last WAC [football] game 2 1/2 wks ago. As far as football is concerned, they're MWC now.

But don't worry. You're still WAC.

There's yet ANOTHER reason for why he'd leave

• UtePhan2 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:03 p.m.

I agree that Mike Sanford would be just what the doctor ordered to replace Chow. Not only was he successful as the OC under Meyer, but with less than average talent as the head coach at UNLV, remember the beating he laid on the Utes 27-0 a few years back! With Kyles defensive brain and Sanford running the offense, the glory days might return. Also, Sanford's extensive background as an assistant in the Pac 12 makes him a great fit for the program today.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:41 p.m.

@govt rocks

We'll see

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:32 p.m.

PortlandBeavers: Why would Mike McCoy leave as the OC for the Denver Broncos to be the OC at the college level? No way he does that. The only way McCoy ends up here is if the Broncos fire him. I don't think that happens, not this year. If anything, expect Aaron Roderick to slide back into the OC position and Brian Johnson to have a higher profile role in game planning than he did this year. Both got great experience with Chow this year.

McCoy is a fantastic OC. My guess is that he becomes a head coach in the NFL before he ever ends up at the college level.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:12 p.m.

@Duckhunter

The class you have is our obsession, nothing like calling a gentleman who has been part of a 39 year sucessful career a "has been". Doesn't matter what profession, 39 years deserves a lot more respect than that. I know there isn't any Ute fan that would get on this thread and call Lance Reynolds a "has been"

You come on here stating that someone is obsessed with you, I know you have a very high opinion of yourself. But, I as a Ute fan cannot get over how obsessed you are with the Utes.

Norm Chow has done some great things while coaching football and now he gets his chance at a head coaching job, Hawaii. Coach Whit knows he is going to loose coaches and Utah will be just fine finding a new one. Our next OC is going to be a suprise to everyone-Mike McKoy is going to come home.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:07 a.m.

@hailstorm

1st of all thank you for your obsession with me and 2nd of all I haven't changed my opinion about chow one bit. he is a has been and Hawaii is just as welcome to him as utah was.

Were you trying to prove something with your post? other than proving you're obsessed with me I'm not really sure what it was? I'd ask you to explain it but I guess I just dont really care what you thought you were 'proving'.

Merry Christmas!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Of rats and sinking ships

• TheTruth801 SLC, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Norm Chow will go down as one of the great offensive minds in NCAA history. With his development of Heisman Trophy QB's and he successes at USC and BYU, no one can doubt his ability. I thought the job he did at Utah with minimal talent showed his greatness. He adapted to the talent that he had on hand, including a change at QB. Utah will need a veteran OC, not Rodrick and Stramm. I am excited for Norm to get the Hawaii job. I wish him well. He will be able to recruit the islands which will hurt both Utah and BYU.

• artinnature Payson, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:14 a.m.

wazzup??
    Provo, UT

Congratulations, Norm!! This is well-deserved. Hawai'i no ka oe!

I know I'm slow with this wazzup, but it's "Hawai'i no ka 'oi" not "oe." The expression translates as "Hawaii the best" but "oe" is singular "you."

Norm Chow will be a great fit in Hawaii and I wish him the best there. This will make BYU/Hawaii games all the more exciting.

• Utesby3 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:09 a.m.

@ 17-14 Hurts Don't It?:

Ute fans aren't worried. If you read these comments, you'll notice most fans are wishing him luck. Hopefully the Utes can replace Chow with a coach as loyal as BYUs coaches. Oh wait, BYUs coaches only stick around because nobody except BYU wants them. Good coaches like Witt don't want to go to BYU in the first place so BYU gets stuck with the leftovers that nobody else wants.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Good on ya Norm..... Wishing you the best of success in the years to come. :) Just please be prepared to lose once a year to the Cougars. :)

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Dave S

You do realize that Chow used to coach at Y right?

But I still don't understand, isn't the WAC a massive step down from the PAC?? Even as head coach? Isn't every single team in that conf. pathetic and irrelevant. Now this is not so? Just don't make sense. Oh must be about the money and not BCS bowls.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:01 a.m.

Once again, I get a chuckle out of all the cougar posts on an article about Utah. Nice to know they like to follow what's going on with big brother.

All of them say good luck Norm, you should have been a head coach a long time ago, except not at BYU when you were in your prime and Gary Crowton was thought to be the next LaVell, how'd that turn out?

Lastly, byu doesn't need to worry about coaches leaving their staff for other opportunities because every other school wants a coach from a program who has proven they can be successful competing against other D1 talent. If those schools want to hire someone who can compete against the jv, they can find them in the high school ranks and don't have to "raid" byu's noteworthy staff.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 7:38 a.m.

I guess you can count on Heaps not going to Utah now, eh?

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 6:55 a.m.

"... just bigotry."

Feel the love from some of these Ute fans. I think they are having an emotional meltdown now and are just 'acting out' their confusion and dissappoint over the latest events.

Don't worry Ute fans, you'll get another OC, maybe as good as Chow.

Colorado hopes so.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 6:28 a.m.

Now Hawaii would be a perfect fit for Jake Heaps.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:41 a.m.

Good for Chow! He'll now make the MWC a little more competitive, while BYU tries to figure out their schedule with the likes of Idaho State, Weber State, Dixie State and SUU.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:49 a.m.

Those commenting that there were few fans at the BYU-Hawaii game don't understand the local culture. (There'd be fewer fans for a Utah-Hawaii game, for sure.) Islanders traditionally love to play their games at night because that makes mainlanders start to play about 11:30 PM MST and Hawaii gets the advantage. During the day Islanders would rather go to the beach than to a college football game. Those are facts.

Chow's highlight this year was the gift game in Provo; his ability to guide the Utes was evident when they produced less than 40 yards offense the first quarter against Colorado at home in SLC with the potential appearance at the Rose Bowl on the line; we see how well Chow did at that. And he needed OT at WSU to garner a victory, something he couldn't produce playing Colorado.

In all his success at BYU he became very, very predictable in his play calling. Seems like that's been his one weakness. I do wish him well at Hawaii.

It will be intersting to see who might want to move to Utah now that there's a vacancy; maybe some assistant from Montana State would be willing.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Nice job Norm. Good luck Chase. Looks like you get a newbie to coach you.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:36 p.m.

@ duckhunter
    Apparently Hawaii doesn't share you opinion

" Good for you if you guys want him, you're welcome to him, but we don't want him at all. April 10 2011 "

" Yep he's another BYU retread. You guys are welcome to him ".

" While it is true Ute "fans" don't have any credibility anyway it doesn't help your cause to be a hypocrite."
    And your are the judge of all Utes because ?
    Nothing you posted there was about most of the the articles, just bigotry.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:13 p.m.

Watch out BYU? Hahaha. When has Hawaii ever won a game off of the islands. They suck on the mainland.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Either way Chow wins, about time he gets the love.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Re: jarka-rus

Tell me you wouldn't jump at the chance to make three times what you currently make plus have a chance to be head coach and call all the shots. Your point is pretty lame truth be told.

At least other schools recognize a quality coach when they see it. How many Cougar coaches have even gotten a look from other schools? Oh yeah that's right none!!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:45 p.m.

HUH? I thought the Pac was the greatest conference ever! Why would someone leave it?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:43 p.m.

The question is why? Chow has had head coaching jobs offered that most would say are better than the Hawaii job.

This hurts Utah in recruiting a QB. Wynn will be the best option next year. Will the Trent Dilfer guy stay committed to the Utes? Hays will be the back up again.

Tough to lose Chow.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:41 p.m.

(snicker, snicker, Ute fans, this is so funny)

Good luck Coach Chow, what a dream location to work at and then retire.

• Man in Charge Washington, DC
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:37 p.m.

When he goes to Utah people say he is overrated but when he goes to Hawaii, all of the sudden he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't get it.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:27 p.m.

@ selway
    " The stands were nearly deserted for the BYU game ".
    Small wonder at 54-10
    A lot of the blue ducked and covered after that shelling !

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:13 p.m.

Interesting comment about Sanford Ute4ever Red!! I wouldnt' mind that one bit. Maybe Anae is available. I'm pretty sure nobody outside of happy town would be interested in Doman.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:04 p.m.

This will be his last gig then he will retire. Utah was just a parachute out of the UCLA gig while saving face, I don't think it's a big deal but Utah is taking it in the chops again.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Congrats to coach Chow! He deserves it!

Utah should hire Mike Sanford to replace Norm Chow. He would be phenomenal to run our offense. Sanford ran Utah's offense back in 2004 when Utah steam rolled BYU 52-21 on their way to a Fiesta Bowl championship. He would be a great hire!

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:38 p.m.

Watch out BYU!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Best wishes to Norm. His move to head coach is long overdue. I am glad Hawaii is giving a chance.

• Ute4ever Red DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:22 p.m.

I wish Coach Chow the best if he takes the Hawaii job, He's earned it. I just hope he doesn't take any recruits or assistants with him. I'm sure Chris Hill and Coach Whit have contigency plans. For instance does anybody think, that with Coach Chow seriously looking at Hawaii, it was just COINCIDENCE that Urban Meyers Utah offensive co-ordinator Mike Sanford "also observed practice" Friday?

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Stop the presses...has anyone told Norm, Chris, hedgie and the rest of ute nation that know one in their right mind would ever leave the great pac 12.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:43 p.m.

awesome hire! Congrats to Coach Chow, you deserve this shot! Way to go Hawaii!

Next year's BYU vs Hawaii game is going to be wicked!

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:26 p.m.

Can't blame Norm for wanting better material to work with than the DII transfers he was saddled with at Utah.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:18 p.m.

@Anonymous Infinity
    "How does Utah and Colorado qualify as pacific schools?"

Probably the same way Arizona and ASU do.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Chow is a great offensive coordinator. Head coach??? I doubt it. Hawaii is home.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Goll, Chow is only awesome because he was at The Byu.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:50 p.m.

It's interesting Utah articles are loaded with over 80 percent of coug fan comments on them.

Some of you might think before you post. Like the poster who claimed that Chow didn't have anything to do with byu's success. Really?

Chow is one of the greatest offensive coordinatiors to ever coach. I'm proud that he is a Ute and if he really does leave the program, my only wish will be that he stayed longer.

I also hope that we don't lose any recruits because of his possible departure.

The Utes are still in better position than they were in the MWC and they are in better position than their independent rivals. All of the posts on here only prove that point.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:40 p.m.

eddie-

You are right. Whit did learn everything he knows from playing at BYU for 3 years, because BYU is the allmighty and everybody should learn everything they know from playing there. He probably learned nothing from working his way up the system at Utah.

Speaking of spin, im pretty sure that loss at CU really was what sent chow running. It couldn't have been the many other opportunities he would be seizing by taking the job.

Come on bro, do you even consider what you are saying before your post? Take off your blue goggles for a bit.

• atlcoug Atlanta, GA
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:30 p.m.

As someone who is turning 65 next year, and planning to work awhile longer, I am particularly pleased to see Norm Chow finally given a chance, at his age, to achieve what has probably been a lifetime goal. I wish coach Chow all the best in his new challenge.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:17 p.m.

He deserves a shot at being a head coach! It's more than about time!!!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:17 p.m.

that about does it...time to fire HILL! Norm was the best coach Uteville will ever see....he should have been hired as head coach and Whit sent packing!

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I predict .500 record.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Wait a minute! Hawaii isn't in the PAC 12. Is he aware of this? Because according to all my Ute friends, the PAC 12 Utes weren't ever supposed to lose talent to anyone 'lesser' than them ever again. Weird.

Congrats Norm. Good luck.

• BYU Grad Alpine, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Finally he gets his due! He should have been given the same opportunity long ago at both BYU and Utah. I hope he does well. Goodby recruits for BYU and Utah from the island state.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Now time to hire Gary Crowton as new OC Coach.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:29 p.m.

@DontMUSSwUtah,

Tell me again where your Head coach played? I guess he didn't learn anything there. It must have been that wonderful win against CU that made Chow run for the Islands. It should be real funny to see how many follow him.

Also to all the others who think that no "good" coaches come out of BYU... Look no further than the NFL with several HC's who have won a lot of games. Oh and didn't Edwards have an offer from the Lions? I think so.

Keep it classy u fans and keep the spin coming.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:27 p.m.

PAC 12 loves U,

Sorry dude, but it was really Doug Scovill who built BYU's offence. Both Norm and LaValle, were simply following his coat tail.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Super! This just proves what I truly believe that good things happen to good people. Gongrats Norm. What a great way to end a career by going home where it all started!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:20 p.m.

54-10 | 3:16 p.m. Dec. 20, 2011

Thanks Norm for the part you played in the 14-17 humiliation with Colorado. That one was EPIC and was one for the ages.

And I was embarrassed with the Washington State game also.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Note to Kyle W,
    Rick Neuhoser ... Neuheister...Sweaterhostel... Neueinhassenfeffer... somebody is available.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:12 p.m.

for life.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:11 p.m.

I would LOVE to see Jake Heaps follow Chow to Hawaii. Then it would be out there for all to see if the problem with Heaps was a lack of proper coaching by a head coach that can't develop talent and an inexperienced offensive coordinator, like some say or if the problem was Heaps himself. If anybody can develop Heaps into an NFL quarterback it's the great Norm Chow, right? I would put my money on the latter.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Chow will not win in Hawaii. Personally I like him, but he just does not have it in him.

• CALUTAZ Peoria, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Good luck to Coach Chow. Long, LONG overdue.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Duckhunter-

First of all, thank you for being classy (as you always are). Second, we all know that no one can upgrade on the independence/WAC/PCC, so of course no one even tries to take coaches from your school (is that the reason why BYU coaches never get offers?). Darn i wish we were in BYU's situation. I guess we're just stuck in this lowly BCS conference that nobody wants to coach in. :/

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:04 p.m.

First, Congratulations, Norm. Very deserving and I wish you well.

Second, 65 and coach and live in Utah, or coach and live in Hawaii where you grew up... I'd have to call that a no-brainer. I'm surprised surfer-Bronco didn't put in for the job.

Third, "Chow is responsible for the success BYU had with Coach Edwards?" Any 5-year-old with access to google would know that BYU had great success before Norm became QB coach or OC. Chow was the last in a list of OC's, QB coaches and play callers at BYU. Kragthorpe, Scovil, English, French, Holmgren (83-85 QB coach for Steve Young and NC), Chow. Norm started as Freshman coach, running backs, receivers, QB coach (1986). BYU had a National Championship before Norm was calling the plays. LaVell's name is on the stadium for a reason -- and not because he threw down a couple mill.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:03 p.m.

We'll miss Norm at the "U" but I'm happy he got his shot at being a head coach finally. Best of luck to you coach.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Well, that will dry up the islands and even Chow will invade the mainland for talent for the Warriors. This move should have happed 10 or 15 years ago for Norm. All the best coach; it is long overdue. You are the best. Too bad you didn't have any talent to work with at Utah. It was scary with no quarterbacks after a vulnerable qb went down with injuries. Utah is doomed in the PAC-12 anyway. Actually, it would have made more sense to have Hawaii in the then PAC-10. How does Utah and Colorado qualify as pacific schools? Come on. Norm will have plenty of people to choose from to fill out his staff and build a powerhouse. Good luck.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Its great that Chow is going to coach his hometown team

• NotBuyingIt MIDVALE, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Norm Chow is too old to be a head coach.......

• NotBuyingIt MIDVALE, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:42 p.m.

worf @ 1:27-

Norm Chow is University of Utah graduate.......

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:35 p.m.

@ worf

"Good news for the Utes? May be they'll find another former BYU player or coach for a replacement".

Dude, Norm Chow graduated and played for the U. Coach Chow is responsible for the success BYU has had with Coach Edwards. Maybe BYU should be the ones looking at hiring former Utah players again. lol.

Congrats coach Chow! We wish you the best of luck.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:34 p.m.

ute coaches running from the program. chow gone and sitake looking to probably follow. But how could this be? utah "fans" have been telling us how being in the pac10 is the end all be all and why would any coach ever want to leave. Sure they'll justify chow's bailing on them by saying he got a promotion but what about sitake? Isn't it a move down? At least utah "fans" have been telling us that. But why would sitake even consider it? Could it be that neither of them really saw utah as all that great a place to be?

Then of course how great will utah be next season trying to replace both coordinators? utah "fans" told us this year that BYU would struggle doing it so unless they are hypocrites shouldn't utah struggle jsut the same? And what about all of the recruits chow was bringing to utah? utah already has the lowest ranked recruiting class in the pac10 and is in the bottom 3rd of the country so what happens if some of those low ranked recruits don't come either? Oh man this could really turn out to be bad/fun.

• Rydub LEHI, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:30 p.m.

I'd rather see our coaches be promoted to head coaches then have to wait and wonder how many years to let them stay before they a fired.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:29 p.m.

USAlover:

"Now Utah will look to BYU to provide another football coach!"

Actually, the Y looked to the U to get Chow, but I wouldn't worry about Utah cherry picking any coaches off of Mendenhall's staff. There really isn't anything worth taking down there.

If the rumors of Chow to Hawai'i are true, then this is great for Chow; but bad for the U. Chow will be missed. Nevertheless, Chow is a great choice, and Hawai'i would be wise to take him. Good luck Coach. You deserve this promotion.

Go Warriors.

GO UTES!!!

• ahmyers San Leandro, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:28 p.m.

This hurts my soul. Good for him though. He did a great job with the tools he was given at Utah this year, I just hope that this doesn't hurt our immediate qb recruits...

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Some are saying that he didn't do a good job this year at Utah. Stop and think where the utes would have been without out him. In my opinion he is the one that kept the utah season from being a huge disaster. He brought in Hayes very late which was a big pickup with the QB situation at the u. I wish him the best.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Thanks Norm for the part you played in the 54-10 humiliation at LES. That one was EPIC and was one for the ages.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:09 p.m.

I guarantee they are celebrating at the University of Utah today and next year at this time Hawaii will be wondering what on earth they got themselves into.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:04 p.m.

@Tom in CA

Chow did a terrific job this year. Installing a new system, without a D1 QB once Wynn went down, and a JC running back that nobody had any expectations for. All of those hurdles bundled with the first year in the Pac-12, the adjustments Chow made playing without a QB were masterful.

He was ever bit what most Utah fans expected. He managed to keep this year from being a disaster when Wynn was hurt.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:01 p.m.

@Eddie

Something BYU just doesn't have to worry about.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:00 p.m.

I hope the best for him! Good luck coach!

• wazzup?? Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:59 p.m.

Congratulations, Norm!! This is well-deserved. Hawai'i no ka oe! If we could get Robert Anae up at the U. Their strength in recruiting Polynesian players will increase with Robert. Unfortunately for BYU, it'll be downhill for them for strong Polynesian players. The numbers are already decreasing.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:54 p.m.

Isn't it funny that in this profession no one looks at job-hopping as a negative? Should have been a coach...

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:54 p.m.

We'll miss you coach, but this opportunity is long overdue. Thanks for your contributions to the U and good luck in Hawaii!

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:52 p.m.

@UteMiguel - I heard on the radio a few minutes ago that Chow may actually be taking Sitake with him.

I'm less worried about the D than the O - we still have KWhit to install and oversee his D no matter who the coordinator is, but this will be the 5th O coordinator in 7 years. I hope Kyle does a thorough search, and doesn't just knee-jerk and promote Schramm or Roderick - we're a PAC-12 program that deserves a top-notch, experienced offensive coordinator.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Re: Louisiana Cougar "Well deserved and a great fit!"

Re: Timpman "Good for Norm, I'm glad he finally got his chance!"

I agree with both of you, but those statements (in addition to many more) are 10-15 years late. What has Chow done over the past 7 years, ever since leaving USC, to show he's still the offensive wizard he was prior to that. Everyone pulling for Chow seems to be lost in "yester year." Why Hawaii would be interested in building a program behind someone who has been far, far less productive over the past 7 years is beyond me. Time will only tell.

And now for you trolls, whose offense more than struggle this year, except for your 52-10 thumping of the Cougs, what are you going to do with the third OC in 3 years? This can't hone well for Jordan Wynn's development. Perhaps you can make it to El Paso again.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Congratulations Coach!

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Ouch! One and done. Guess the writing was on the wall. His promise of the "high powered" Ute offense couldn't shift gears. Georgia Tech is taking a sigh of relief. They didn't know how they were going to handle the Runnin' Utes.

• ClassyUte SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Eddie-

Wow, you are so completely right. Great comment man. You should be on sportscenter.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:23 p.m.

Were we not hearing a year ago about how the ute fans were all saying that Norm was the greatest offensive mind in football and how he was going to take the u to the Rose Bowl and beyond? I guess he saw how bad things were on the Hill and decided that his alma mater was not what it used to be and hurried and put in for a head joy to get away.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:16 p.m.

"Wasn't that impressed with his performance this year as OC. Hopefully we can get some fresh blood in there to improve our O-line and quarterback positions."

And here all this time I thought Chow was the best thing since sliced bread.

• Band Of Roscoes Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:15 p.m.

True that Jake Heaps is following Norm Chow to Hawaii?
    Rrecruiting NFL talent already.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:14 p.m.

I am really happy to see him get his chance. I will be pulling for him to do well in Hawaii.
    The timing is pretty good for Utah with two very good QB's coming in next year. They will likely have a year to learn the new OC's system while Wynn or Hays plays out their last year. It diddn't look like Utah was set to have a great season offensively anyway with who is graduating and the qb situation what it is. It would have been much worse if this had happened one or two years from now.
    Just hope that he doesn't persuede any key coaches to go with him.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Now Utah will look to BYU to provide another football coach!

• 4BS St George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Should have been a head coach a long time ago. Congrats Norm!

• selway Paul, Idaho
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Nice place to play but what is the excuse for its miserable fan base. The stands were nearly deserted for the BYU game. Good for Norm hope he does well.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Oh great! Oh well. It's what Chow always wanted. Poor Whittingham is always having to stress over coaches. Hopefully the other two offensive coaches learned how to call a game. This may also hurt our chances of landing one certain qb from California.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:00 p.m.

this makes the byu vs hawaii games/rivalry that much better

• Dwight89 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:55 p.m.

Good job for Chow. Wasn't that impressed with his performance this year as OC. Hopefully we can get some fresh blood in there to improve our O-line and quarterback positions.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Chow isknown as being really hard to work with. Good riddance.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Good for him. The Utes' job always seemed like a temporary thing, hopefully he can build long term success at Hawaii and then retire there.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I'm relieved, actually, that Sitake wasn't hired.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Congrats to Norm. He's wanted a head coaching shot for years, nice to see him finally get one.

Wish he could have stayed a few more years, but I love the direction he's pointed the Utah offense in. A year with Chow has to have helped ARod's coaching ability, and I think he'll be more comfortable as the OC in the West Coast/Pro attack Chow implemented.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:40 p.m.

If accurate, Best of luck to Norm! Great man! Great Coach! He deserves a head coach opportunity. Recruiting great Hawaiian athletes will now become more difficult for both BYU and Utah.

• CdA Ute Mason, OH
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Long over due for Coach Chow. Congrats to him.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:38 p.m.

If true, thanks for the work Norm and good luck to you.

• Timpman Heber City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Good for Norm, I'm glad he finally got his chance!

• doc24 PROVO, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Good for Norm!

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Good for Chow. He deserves a chance to show what he can do as the top man. I hope he does well except when he plays BYU.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Good for Chow, he deserves a shot at HC.

Utah - you will do just fine without him. He was very good years ago but times have changed.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Good news for the Utes? May be they'll find another former BYU player or coach for a replacement.

• jimmyjones Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Great fit for Chow and Hawaii.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Well deserved and a great fit!

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I lost count. Wouldn't this be his 6th job in 7 years?