Faith

David Archuleta announces plans to serve mission for LDS Church

Comments

• oldphatone OREM, UT
    Dec. 31, 2011 4:51 p.m.

It is a blessing when ever a person chooses to serve a mission. I don't think that there is an age limit set on women and I don't know about the age limit set on men.
    Another interesting thought about were to send David. Why some out of the way place where no one knows him. That would be fine, but remember that Elizabeth Smart was sent to France and from all reports she served a successful mission, so I would imagine that David would be able to serve a successful mission where ever he is sent.
    David will be able to come back to a full music career. He has not suffered for offers for managing his career, he just has made his own choices as to where that career is headed right now.
    I think he had these mission plans in the works long ago when he split ways with his LABEL. (which BTW went under)
    David is in full charge of his career, and you will see him return and do exactly what he wishes to do. Now what we think he SHOULD do!
    Congratulations David you and God Bless you.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 23, 2011 6:16 a.m.

Re: In Arizona | 12:09 p.m. Dec. 21, 2011
    "If he is like any other young man wanting to serve a mission"

That's the whole point. He isn't like any other young man. His talents have put him in the spotlight, and his public announcement will lead non-members to want to know more about the church he belongs to.

If you have a light shine it and don't hide it under a basket.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 22, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Don't delete this. What about Jimmer? Isn't the same opportunity to make a living given to both of these young men and David is taking the high road?
    This is a fair question.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:47 a.m.

@Cougar Keith,
    I would say in opposition to your comment that David has no excuse not to go. He has the money to go, the love and support of his family, and not to mention it is his priesthood responsibility. In the eternal perspective, he would be foolish not to go, and held accountable. Its a no brainer to me. While I'm happy for him and glad he is going, I think it is ridiculous how much attention this is getting. He is sacrificing no more than any other young man who chooses to serve. In fact, in some ways I would say less. We should not exalt him for doing something that millions of priesthood holders have done before him. He is fulfilling a commandment from God. Good for him, and good for all of the other 50,000+ young men in the mission field right now.

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:34 p.m.

Donn,
    Thank you for your service to this country. Your service is valued and admired without having to buy into misrepresentations of how Romney lived during his mission.

His draft deferments for his ministerial work as well as for his studies were both legitimate. Ultimately, his deferments ended and he became eligible for military service and he participated in the draft lottery.

Deferments were available for various reasons. You yourself state that you would have preferred Paris as I am sure most young men would have at the time. I don't think it is fair, then, to criticize someone who applied and received such a deferment when the vast majority of young men would have jumped at the opportunity had they qualified or knew how to apply.

Again, your service to this country can never be repaid nor adequately appreciated. I share this sentiment with the vets, Viet Nam and others, that I personally know.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Cougar in Texas: I don't care about Romney's politics, but I do care how missionary life in France is portrayed because I myself lived it. I did some additional research. Romney served at least 30 months. His stint at the mission home "palace" was 8 months at most .
    Spring time in Paris no matter what,has to beat springtime in NKP,guarding airplanes where I was serving my mission.
    Romney said he wished he had served in the military, I would have preferred Paris.
    My point Somebody had to take his place in the(draft) war and may have died for him.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:56 p.m.

I think that atheletes like Steve Young, Merlin Olson, or Dale Murphy did not serve missions in their youth. However, their influence and example still had a positive effect. And they can always serve a mission in later years. I suppose Merlin is on one now. And Dale Murphy served as a mission president a few years ago. Jimmer has the same opportunities coming his way. Davids singing voice will be viable a lot longer than Jimmers basketball skills.

• CAAZFR MESA, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:53 p.m.

It appears that Y and Y got all the attention he wanted while trying to stir the pot just for the sake of stirring. So I reply not to him but to others who may find it of interest that in some countries young men can serve at 18. That is because the post-high school education system is such that once a person begins school, if he leaves to serve a mission he essentially has to make up that year (i.e. take it again) when he comes back, if he is even allowed to get back into the university. Therefore, some go at 18 and 1/2 and others wait until after they complete their 2-year or 4-year degree.
    I have shirt-tail relatives who rode on a plane with David from the West Coast to the East Coast recently. They did not bother him on the plane but while waiting for luggage in New York they engaged him a bit and he (though suffering from a cold and on a business trip) was so genuine and sincere and just kept asking about their family. He was in no way a "it's all about me" person. He will be an outstanding missionary and have a fulfilling career in music on the level he determines. He is much too good to be corrupted by Hollywood and if he chooses a different route in his musical career more power to him. He will blossom and the world will be better for it.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Great Choice for David! I was kind of expecting this after the Des News reported last month he had recently gone through the Temple. Can't wait to find out where he'll be serving. I would love to attend those Zone Conferences where David will sing. I have fond memories of the talented Elders in my mission that would perform during Zone Conferences.

David's youtube video of "Be Still My Soul" is very touching.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Why would he feel compelled to announce this during a concert? Seems like an odd place to announce that sort of thing.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:09 p.m.

If he is like any other young man wanting to serve a mission why did he announce it like he did? Why not just submit the application to serve, receive the call and leave? I applaude him greatly for his decision but it will be a distraction, at least initially.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:47 a.m.

I went on my mission @ 23. I don't think the lord cared what age I went but it was the best time for me. I'm glad David is going on a mission. With his fame, he might get sent somewhere where the name is less familiar.

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Donn
    You underscore my point about the Telegraph's incomplete reporting on Mr. Romney's missionary accommodations. Newsmax merely copied from the Telegraph.

I did some additional research. Romney served at least 30 months. His stint at the mission home "palace" was 8 months at most. So the Telegraph claims Romney spent his mission in a palace when 75% of his mission was spent in apartments that, the Telegraph even admits, were "spartan" and common to how the lower middle income French lived.

If you really want to know the detailed truth of this information, just look it up.

The Manchester, New Hampshire Examiner newspaper also has a link to a video and full transcript of Romney's comments on the subject.

Again, I don't care about Romney's politics, but I do care how missionary life in France is portrayed because I myself lived it.

• Open Mind Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:23 a.m.

He should date Elizabeth Smart when he gets back! ;)

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:25 a.m.

I watched his Christmas concert, and he was superb - his singing career has definitely not "peaked."

I congratulate him on his decision and wish him the best.

• happyLDSwoman FREDERICKSBURG, VA
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:23 p.m.

@Skippy...I, for one, am very grateful that Donny Osmond and his brothers did serve their mission in a different way." Had they not, I may have never found the Church in 1972 at the age of 15. I will be forever grateful to them for being my "first" missionaries. I honor their name for the great examples they were which led me to investigate the Church. That being said, I am extremely proud of the decision that Elder Archuleta has made. I am a fan of his, not just because he has a wonderful voice, but first and foremost because he is a wonderful young man who sets a great example for the Church. God Bless him on his mission and I wish him only the best.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:26 p.m.

You know, I don't know why this is huge news, it's just another kid wanting to go on a mission, this is Utah- it happens daily.

Sure, I'm proud of his decision, but.... I don't care if he is a celebrity. People are obsessed with him.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:20 p.m.

David, Your raw emotion as the crowd responded to your announcement was beautiful to watch. Your desire to serve the Lord will make you a success wherever you serve. Much love to you.

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:11 p.m.

That's Great! Good Luck and Take care. The Fans will be here when you come home.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Donn,
    Mitt Romney was assitant to the president for 6 months. He was a missionary for two and a half years. That is not "most".

Even the talk about where he lived as assistant to the president is generally disengenous. The house was the home of the mission president, it was not a residence that Romney had control over. Realizing this recalibrates some of the extreme comments made in relation to it.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:49 p.m.

I have had a large number of friends serve missions above the age of 19. In fact the one elder serving from my ward right now was at least 23 when he left. In fact other than my brother the four current missionaries I know the best were all at least 20 when they left.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:45 p.m.

ClarkHippo,
    You are right about 25, if we add the caviat that this is the rule for single males. Single sisters can serve at older ages. I have a good friend who left on her mission when she was 28.

The best missionaries in my mission were often a little older. I think we all need to be a little less judgemental.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:11 p.m.

I am happy that he has made this decision. I do however feel a little weird about the big deal it has become. First off, the kid has done nothing yet, other than proclaiming that he intends to serve. Also, most missionaries sacrifice no less than he will. In fact, by comparison I don't think he is really sacrificing much. He has the money to go and when he gets back he has the talent and the experience in the business to get right back in it. Not to mention the support of his family. Many kids give their life savings, scholarships, jobs, and family relationships to go on a mission. Again, great decision, but lets put it in perspective. He is fulfilling a priesthood responsibility that millions have done before him.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I value all members of the LDS Church, mission or not.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:47 p.m.

He's giving up millions of dollars in recordings for this.

• zabivka Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Be safe, Archuletta. Although I'm not in the Church, I do believe that there is a net positive effect of taking some time to live a few years in a new environment with a unique cultural influence to help broaden your perspective.

Hopefully, he will approach it with an attitude of learning that equals his desire to teach, and he will come away from the experience with a better understanding of people across the world.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:33 p.m.

This is AWESOME.....Its good to always see youngmen make great choices..just goes to show you,that Heavenly father works in mysterious ways..I believe when he returns his singing career will be just where he left it" AT THE TOP"..Cant wait to have my kids read this article...

HAVE A BLESSED AND BEAUTIFUL HOLIDAY SEASON EVERYONE...

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:17 p.m.

My heavens! Why we let one person hi-jack 6 pages of comments is beyond me. I was very touched to listen to his announcement and hear his remarks. David is obviously a very humble, tender-hearted young man, not unlike most who leave to serve for two years. He puts on his pants one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. I'm glad they're not announcing when and to where he's serving. I'm certain that it would be a distraction, although it will almost certainly leak out eventually. Perhaps the Lord will send him to a remote island in the Pacific where there is no TV...who knows?

I wish him the best and Godspeed.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:50 p.m.

To the comment on "can you imagine being this guys companion". Any companion can be a distraction and take you off-focus, whether he is famous or just not dedicated. I'm sure the mission President will keep a close monitor on things wherever he is called to serve.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Hey, no one put me on the list of wonderful famous people who served a mission. My deceased husband served a mission in spite of health problems. My now husband didn't, he was raised in a part LDS family outside of Utah. Nothing wrong with him. I am proud of the girl that is engaged to my step son, she is willing to see him for who he is, not what he did or didn't do. He is the EQ president and she is the RS president in their singles branch. As for silly check lists on what is important, I had one of those, wanted a guy who could sing, dance and play the piano, I married a guy in a wheelchair who's disease affected his voice. By the time I met him, I had become less shallow and wanted someone I could return to my Heavenly Father with.

• cherokeemormon CHEROKEE, NC
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:07 p.m.

i am ashamed to see how many ugly, rude comments there are on here, this LDS website. this is supposed to be an LDS site where members of the church can come and read church news and express their opinion on the articles presented here. instead, we see a simple comment asking a simple question being shot down. we are all adults here, or at least supposed to be. we should be able to reply to comments with politeness and respect, not things like, "Re: y-ask-y?? Maybe you need to change your name. Asking why on this one is petty and silly. Get a grip on how the Spirit can dictate, no matter what the age. I'm old enough to be his grandfather, or maybe great grandfather, am currently serving with my wife on a full-time mission. Sure glad no one asked "Why" when we decided to serve." this isn't the way we should treat each other. theres no problem with asking why. this person just wanted to know. no offense to you SoCaLMtnCougar, but i think your comment was "petty and silly", so it really wasn't right for you to criticize this person.

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:03 p.m.

I don't believe in the LDS Church anymore but the mission was still a pivotal experience in my life that taught me a lot and that in many respects I look back on with fondness. My advice to Archuleta or anyone going on a mission-listen more than you speak and enjoy immersing yourself in another culture rather than obsessing about mission objectives. My biggest regret is not listening more to people and being so frightened about being obedient that I was afraid of fully appreciating the culture and people I was spending two years with.

• cherokeemormon CHEROKEE, NC
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:56 p.m.

@ PA Rock Man, no offense, but the comment you posted was more rude.........maybe Y-Ask-Y isn't a member and is asking a serious question that they don't know the answer to. or maybe they are a member and are just genuinely curious as to why he isn't serving at age 19........the polite and christian thing to do would to be courteous and answer the question instead of immediately putting their comment down........

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:47 p.m.

ok cool...for our list, for now, let's go with:

1. David Archuleta
    2. Elizabeth Smart
    3. Shawn Bradley
    4. Will Hopoate

Can ya'll help me with a list of maybe the most "famous" people that have ever been missionaries. If Archie does wind up serving I would probably put him as the #1 all time..but I dunno, maybe I'm forgetting someone.

1. David Archuleta
    2. Elizabeth Smart
    3. Shawn Bradley

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:24 p.m.

Don't Feed the Trolls 12:40 p.m wants to know two visible missionaries the missionary office has dealt with before:

"Name two. I can't.'

I'll give it a try.

1. Australian professional rugby player Will Hopoate (covered much lately in the Des News.)

2.7 foot 6 inch Shawn Bradley, who served a mission and came home to be the #2 pick in the NBA draft, to the Philadelphia 76ers.

• Elder Dave Livermore, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 3:00 p.m.

To: Elder David Archuletta

Congratulations on your wise choice. You show "Eternal Perspective" in your decision.

I too chose to serve a mission when I was about your age, after much prayer and thought. I left at 20. My parents did not support my decision (in theory, thought, or financially), so I worked full time between 19 and 20 years of age and earned about half of the money necessary. The local ward mission fund supported the other half. It was a good decision for me. That was a while ago.

I went to the New York City area to serve my mission.

It was a Great Opportunity to Serve the Lord while Serving Others.

Lord Bless You Elder David A!!

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:37 p.m.

1. David Archuleta
    2. Elizabeth Smart
    3. Shawn Bradley

• Neilfan12 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:25 p.m.

I'm glad he wants to serve a mission and I wish him well... but there's a down side to his plans. David's not exactly super popular (other than in Utah). So 2 years away from his career could spell/speed up the end of it. He might not be able to regain what level of fame he did have before serving his mission.

Some will say a mission & serving others is more important. But as Donny Osmond never served a mission, with the reasoning he could do as much & still serve using his fame... so could David.

Another thing, he will have to be sent somewhere in the world where nobody has heard of him. Otherwise people will be letting him into their homes and possibly be converting for the wrong reasons... letting him and his missionary companion into their homes because of who he is and not because they're truly interested in the LDS Church.

I'm guessing rather than hang around while his career continues to fade he wants to serve a mission while he's still able to so he has no regrets about missing out on that (serving a mission).

• RED23 Head in the Clouds, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:55 p.m.

Elizabeth Smart was able to serve a successful mission in France. Elder Archuleta will be sent where the Lord needs him, and I hope the LDS Church mission department isn't worried about media, etc. There are 350+ missions throughout the world, I am sure there are plenty of places that he could serve in relative anonymity among the people. Good luck to you Elder!

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:27 p.m.

@Kami

No one here is saying David Archuleta is as well known as Justin Bieber or Brad Paisley. There are no doubt many places in the world where David can serve as a missionary and not have screaming girls chasing him everywhere, and that's a good thing.

@shaun

I would agree that any LDS girl who automatically turns a guy down simply because he didn't serve a mission is pretty shallow. It's just as shallow as any LDS guy turning down a girl because she's had some, "past transgressions."

I know of several guys who for one reason or another did not serve missions and they truly felt worried about their prospects for marriage. It's sad because none of us are perfect, and we all have issues we have to deal with.

It's like my wife and I. We've been married ten years and have so far been unable to have children, and more than one person has quietly asked, "Don't they want kids? Don't they like kids"

Luckily, a few of the guys I mentioned, including one of my brothers, are married now and have been sealed to their wives in the temple, so it is possible to find someone.

I think there are more than a few of my fellow Latter-day Saints, especially here in Utah, who need to not be so judgmental.

@ClarkKent

If I misquoted you, I apologize.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Re: Kami | 12:49 p.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    "Do ya'll actually think that David is so well known world-wide that people will be falling all over him during his mission?"

Neither David or any of us expects anybody to fall all over him during his mission. We do expect that David will make the world a better place by enriching the lives of some who may never even know his background.

People aren't putting him on a pedestal but they do appreciate an increasingly rare commodity he is demonstrating ...... selflessness.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:11 p.m.

@Cougar in Texas Unfortunately, the Telegraph's report is greatly lacking. As someone who served in France 12 years after Romney, I can attest to the variety of living conditions that were at times quite primitive, even into the 1980s .
    It was a house built by and for rich people, said Richard Anderson, the son of the mission president at the time of Romneys stay. I would describe it as a palace.
    Newsmax.com: Mitt Romney Reportedly Lived in a 'Palace' During Mission Days.

@Bruce T. Forbes God bless you on your mission, Elder Archuleta! Remember the scripture that says:
    Qualifications for Elders: and appoint Elders in every town as I directed you. if anyone is above reproach, the husband of ONE wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination (Titus 1:5-6.)
    A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of One wife.( 1 Timothy 3:2).

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:59 p.m.

ClarkHippo | 12:52 p.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Tooele, UT
    I'm not the best speller in the world. Earlier I meant to say "Congrats!" to David for his decision.

@ClarkKent 7:57

You said - "Gutsy decision. Hope he gets to serve someplace where no one has heard of him, so he can be a normal missionary.
    I doubt that will be a problem for him so long as he serves outside of Utah."

@clarkhippo, I realize why you inadvertently misquoted me. It is because an earlier poster misquoted me. I was quoting another poster on the boards in the sentence that begins with "Gutsy decision". Just thought I'd try to clear that up so that misquoting doesn't continue ...

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Amen shaun_

Welcome to the island of misfit Mormons, it will be good to have some company. Take it from me, you don't need girls who are shallow enough that will not date you just simply because of the fact you didn't serve a mission. They generally entrap men into miserable marriages and have unrealistic expectations of how they should be "provided" for.

Like a hitter in baseball, be selective, your belt-high fastball will come! Have a good one. You made my day with your comment--so honest and refreshing. I thought I was going to have to see my dentist from all the artificial sweetness on this page. To better days! And good for Archy on his decision--he made it because he wanted to and no other factors--as it should be.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:52 p.m.

@ClarkKent 7:57

I doubt that will be a problem for him so long as he serves outside of Utah."

----

Like you I hope he serves in a place where he can be as normal a missionary as possible. And yes, there are at least one or two people outside of Utah who have heard of David Archuleta.

E News Online, Access Hollywood's website and CBS News Entertainment have each reported David's announcement. If David was only a Beehive State celeb, I doubt any of these sites would have cared.

@RanchHand 8:34

You said - "Why is this even "news"?"

----

Would you have considered it news if say, David had been arrested for a DUI?

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Do ya'll actually think that David is so well known world-wide that people will be falling all over him during his mission? Come on .... MOST of the world has never even heard of him, particularly non-members!! Talk about putting someone up on a pedestal!

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:40 p.m.

JRJ | 8:39 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Pocatello, ID
    The missionary department has dealt with more visible missionaries before.
    ----------

Name two. I can't.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:26 p.m.

rightascension,

There are plenty of places in the world where missionaries are serving that the people have no idea who David Archuleta is. We also know that mission calls are inspired by God and He knows where David Archuleta can best serve and be an effective missionary.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:09 p.m.

shaun writes: " I mean once the girls heard that I wasn't going I might as well as done prison time for murder."

Wise is the active LDS woman who is very particular about the qualities (and attitude) she looks for in the men she dates. It increases the chances she will enjoy a successful happy marriage that lasts. There are many decent young men who haven't gone on LDS missions as young men. President Thomas S. Monson is a classic example.

Congratulations to David for the unselfish decision he made to do what he thinks is right!!

• shaun_ SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:47 a.m.

I didn't go on a mission and life is simply over for me. I mean once the girls heard that I wasn't going I might as well as done prison time for murder.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Mission are a great blessing to the person who serves and even more so to the person who is served. David's life will be far greater for having made this decision. And many people's lives will greatly be enhanced by David's service. Well done, David.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:34 a.m.

I'm impressed, very impressed!

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:33 a.m.

To Ranch Hand...I'm sure this article was written just to annoy you. Looks like it succeeded.

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:26 a.m.

donn Layton, UT: Like Mitt Romney who lived in a 'Palace' During his Mission Days, according to Britains Daily Telegraph.

The Telegraph neglects to say that Romney spent less than half of his 30 month mission in the mission home. That gave him plenty of time to live in a few other areas under the primitive conditions he describes, and, based on my own experiences, I have no doubt that he did. Apparently the Telegraph was only interested in trying to show Romney had a cushy mission rather than actually talking to people he served with outside of his time at the mission home.

I am no Romney political supporter, but the Telegraph piece was half-baked at best.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:16 a.m.

David, I am so proud of you for this decision, I am sorry that there are persons who still make such pious comments. I have to fantastic step sons who never served a mission, nor did my husband. I myself did, but these are great men who honor their priesthood and treat their wives with respect and have served in leadership callings in the church. I have a step son in law who did serve a mission and he doesn't provide for his family and has a lot of emotional issues. But David, you have such a good spirit and hopefully you will go where there is no fame and your good spirit can touch the hearts of people. I think that your career will help you to be able to approach and love people. Bless you in your service in this different way.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Thank you, don, for being where you were at age 19. Missions happen in all sorts of places. Pres. Monson served his in the navy.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:00 a.m.

@ Y-ask-Y

"what happened to 19"? ...well, U-ask-U!

And to David: I'm sure you may regret some musical career choices, but not the choice of serving a mission. Kudos!

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Good for him! He can help spread the Gospel through music. I bet his music will follow him on him mission and that would be great. At any rate, following a call from the Lord should be above anything else and David seems to know that. Good luck David, and God bless you.

• JP Skillet Murray, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:57 a.m.

This is great to hear. he will be an even better example to my young sons. Just wish Jimmer would have gone that would have been really cool

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:56 a.m.

"What happened to 19"? What kind of question is that? That is the most judgemental imbasolic question to come out of "Happy Valley" since "Do You Think Bronco Mendenhall would be a good hire?" This kid has EVERY REASON NOT TO SERVE A MISSION! He is doing it because he LOVES THE LORD! He is indeed a Stripling Warrior who is doing it because of the teachings and guidence of his MOTHER! He has money to spare, a career, touring, GIRLS, A Car, about anything the world can offer him, and he has his PRIORITIES STRAIGHT! This kid has just gone on a scale of 0-100 with me being at about a 35 to a 110! He has character, humility, and a sense of who he is, where he came from, why he is here and where he goes when this life is over, and what he can take with him! I personally hope he goes somewhere that people KNOW EXACTLY WHO HE IS! Then he can explain WHY he put it all on HOLD for two years, and WHY he elected to SERVE A MISSION! He'll go where the LORD needs him the most! Why second_guess Even That?

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:50 a.m.

RE: RanchHand "Why is this even 'news'"? You're pulling our leg, right? I'll go slowly here: this young man is a pretty well-known singer. He's actually appeared on TV a time of two. He's actually been a professional singer the past few years. He was a finalist on the #1 reality talent show in the US a few years ago. With that as a background, the "news" is that he's putting all of that on hold while he fulfills an extremely personal choice of his to serve the Lord. It's similar to when a New Zealand professional rugby player recently gave up a $1M contract to serve a mission as well. Sorry to break it to you, but more than 5 or 10 people will be interested in this news.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Re: PAGAN. Nice to hear from you, my friend. But, no mention of Obama in this article. Nor did I read about any "war on religion" as well. Seems like your post has been misdirected. But thanks for chiming in nonetheless. Happy Holiday to you and yours as well. :)

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:29 a.m.

It takes a lot of self conviction to take this kind of decision when other celebrities advised him not to do it because his fame. Kuddos for him!

And about the celebrity status: I remember elders and sisters with very well recognized last names serving the Lord 1000%, their companions supported them and ignoring that "celebrity" status but loving them and working hand to hand with them. I am sure David will do great. He is doing it because he wants to.

• BKC SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for him and for all the new people he will touch with his teaching and example. What a great guy! I'm sure he'll be able to use his talents to serve the Lord in this "official" way too. He's just a fine young man and I'm proud to be a fan! God bless him and keep him safe. (And there are plenty of places he could be sent, never fear, folks.)

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Congratulations for making that choice to serve a mission. Sometimes at 19 you are just not ready. I turned 19 my senior year in high school and I was not ready so after graduation I went to college for a year before going on my mission. My mission was a great experience and I am sure that he will have a great experience on his also.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:13 a.m.

The claim that Obama has a 'war on religion' sounds more and more like a complete fabrication...

dosen't it?

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones. :)

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Re: UTAH Bill- "He knows his music career has peaked." Sorry, my friend. This decision is based solely on what he knows to be right and true "for him." The world will scratch their heads over this very personal decision & choice. David knows what is most important, in the ultimate scheme of things, and that's to bring the Gospel of Christ to those of whom are seeking. Amazing choice. His music will sound that much sweeter to me.

• Europe Topeno, Finland
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Elder Archuleta, Great news!
    I wish to point out that he has started his mission years ago , now he is going on his 2-year mission. The Lord is pleased. Our prayers are with you.

• Ecclesiastes 10:2 PROVO, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:06 a.m.

I hope serving a mission will be a great blessing for him and for those in the area he serves. I have known "famous" members of the LDS church who did not serve missions, but did TREMENDOUS good in their professions. Don't forget all the Firesides and youth activities where they can have a great influence. It's a choice that is entirely up to the individual. Don't jump to judgement.

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Wow what a stud! Can you imagine being proselytized by him? What is his mission president going to do lock him up so that girls don't hound him on the streets? Every teenage girl is going to be looking at the missionary's walking down the streets now to see if they run into him LOL.

• Al Thepal Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

Actually he will probably be called as the ward choir itself until the day he dies.

All joking aside, this is a pretty awesome decision. Hopefully the media will leave him alone for two years so he can spread the gospel without unnecessary distractions.

• offenderforaword South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:03 a.m.

David Archuleta was under contract to his record label when he was 19.
    During that time he sold about a million copies of his albums.

He parted ways with his label this year, and now he's off on a mission.

• CRM Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:02 a.m.

Others have alluded to the "official" maximum age a young man can enter the mission field, so here it is straight out of the Official Handbook. A young man can enter the mission field up untill his 26th birthday. There are conditional provisions of course such as having not been married and divorced, etc. David Archuleta is either 20 or 21 I should imagine. Bless his heart!!

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Wow, that seems a little scary! But I am very happy for him and very proud of him for not choosing the "Donny Osmond, Steve Young, Jimmer Fredette way out" and tell everyone they are serving a mission in a "different" way.
    Some might think that this will ruin his career, but he will come back bigger and better than ever. With his new added confidence and through his experiance he will be better equipped to share who he his and what he stands for!
    Congratulations David!!!

• steph-uk Birmingham, West M
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:59 a.m.

I loved hearing about this :) Well done David! I hope he has as normal a mission experience as possible.

• Ted's of Beverly Hills Las Vegas, Nevada
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:53 a.m.

All I can say is I would love to see what his tithing checks look like. Wow!

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:51 a.m.

When Elvis went into the army, someone then wrote "Bye Bye Birdie" based on the idea. I wonder if the Archuleta mission will ever generate a Broadway musical. "Bye Bye Archie."

The missionary department is out of their collective mind if they fall for this. He will be a target. He will get media attention from the tabloids 24/7. The mission president will never be able to tell if his contacts join the church for the church or for Archuleta. He will never be able to tell if the elders like him or hate him because of his qualities of because he is already a hotter commodity than they will ever be in their whole lives. That will be true of his relationship with his mission president. The whole experience will be either evolve into a docudrama or a book --- and it is hard to see how the missionary system will come off looking good either way.

One way or another -- he won't get a form letter either calling him or denying him a mission call.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:47 a.m.

This is a great decision for a fine young man. He is a great example to other young LDS men and hopefully many for will follow him.

• buckbeaver Lake Forest, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:38 a.m.

And yet, 50,000 other young men leave on missions. so much for anonimity.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:36 a.m.

@ ClarkKent Gutsy decision. Hope he gets to serve someplace where no one has heard of him, so he can be a normal missionary. I doubt that will be a problem for him so long as he serves outside of Utah.

Like Mitt Romney wholived in a 'Palace' During Mission Days .
    Members of Mitt Romneys own church are casting doubts on his claims that he had to use a bucket as a toilet and lived a life of poverty as a Mormon missionary in Paris. Instead, the house he lived in during much of his 2-1/2 years in France had stained-glass windows, chandeliers, an extensive art collection, and even a Spanish chef, Britains Daily Telegraph reports.

About the same time, my mission was guarding airplanes in the jungles of Vietnam and Thailand.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Don't you just love it when people who are not the least bet interested in a story just have to read it and then take the time to think of a response and type it out. They are the same ones who are now reading all the comments and thinking of something else to say. All the time they are telling themselves that it isn't news and that no one really cares about it anyway.

It just funny how some people are.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Cogratulations Elder Archuletta. I hope you get called to the only true and living mission, the Texas Dallas Mission (or Fort Worth or Lubbock since they used to be part of my mission). The Lord will bless you for your efforts.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:26 a.m.

RanchHand: If this isn't "news"worthy, as you seem to imply, then why did you bother to read the article, and why did you bother to post a comment?

• Wyclif OREM, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:24 a.m.

This will be great for David and good for the Church. I am sure his talents will be useful in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ will also be good for the young man.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:18 a.m.

FANTASTIC!

The Lord will bless you for your service.

I would tell him what a wise bishop once told me: the Lord will NEVER permantently close a door on any righteous, good desire for the sole reason you obeyed His commandments.

In other words, if a music career is 'good' and 'righteous', the Lord will not allow that opportunity to be closed because David Archuleta chose to serve a mission.

What more can be said than "the Church is true"?

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:17 a.m.

barbara | 8:30 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA
    I know people in their 60s and 70s who are serving full-time missions. There is no age limit to service.

@barbara, There is an age limit for single men. It is somewhere in the early 20's. I'm not sure the exact age limit for them, but once they have passed that age they have to wait until they are old and married and serve a mission with their wife. There is no age limit for single women, however. They may serve a mission at any age after the age of 21.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:17 a.m.

Class act!

Recognizing that service to others is more valuable than talented people serving themselves is the epitome true manhood.

David, you are a real man!

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:06 a.m.

I love it - all I can say is wow!

What a wonderful young man. An excellent example for a lot of young men. I couldn't be prouder of the example he's setting.

He's gonna be a great missionary!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Re: RanchHand | 8:34 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    "Why is this even "news"?"

David Archuleta is known and loved world wide. He has chosen to leave wealth and fame behind for 2 years and take the path less trodden to unselfishly serve his God. There is a high standard required to serve a mission and that speaks volumes about his character.

And that is why this is "news".

• Bruce T. Forbes Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:02 a.m.

God bless you on your mission, Elder Archuleta! Remember the scripture that says: "...seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." I am one fan who will patiently wait for you to serve the Lord before getting back to singing for me.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:59 a.m.

When he gets back, you know he's going to be called to be the ward choir director until the day he dies.

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:53 a.m.

He will never regret his decision to go on a mission.

• welcomethemall Nampa, ID
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:53 a.m.

So who is giong to start the "pool" (non-monetary of course) to see where he goes?

Hmmmm.... my guess is Santiago Chile. Maybe Pagan as a disinterested observer can track our submissions to keep us all honest.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:52 a.m.

To the Y ask Y's and similar above posts. Who cares He's going, it sounds like it was his decision. Therefore it is the right decision. Good luck and enjoy the "best two years" for you of your life.

• California Steve Hanford, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:44 a.m.

Hey Spitvalve: How about Zimbabwe?

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:39 a.m.

The missionary department has dealt with more visible missionaries before. He will be sent where he can do the most good. Best wishes to you, David. Enjoy that experience. It is wonderful!!

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Why is this even "news"?

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:30 a.m.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:16 a.m.

To mominthetrenches | 7:27 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011

--------------------------

I really hope they don't. Archuleta needs to be able to devote his two years of service as just one more unrecognized and unrecognizable young man who is devoting his time to serving our Heavenly Father. Fame and publicity would hamper the work he's going out to do.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:00 a.m.

Yay, what a great young man! I wish him the best of luck and I am grateful for his example, he will be a fantastic missionary.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Spitvalve | 1:13 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Denton, TX

I doubt that will be a problem for him so long as he serves outside of Utah.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:45 a.m.

Come on, Y-Ask-Y? The decision to serve a mission and the timing thereof is an extremely personal matter. It's between the person and the Lord.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:42 a.m.

I'm glad he's not playing the "I'm famous" card "so therefore that is serving a mission".

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:32 a.m.

As someone else said, this young man has his head on straight. He will be blessed in this decision.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:27 a.m.

Congrats to David. I know of many who don't go immediately at 19 because they are still earning their own money, finishing up a semester at college, etc. The ones who go because they are still preparing themselves in that way, usually come into the field with added maturity that goes a long way in comparison to those who are barely 19 (no offense to the general audience of wonderful elders). He's had some unique experiences in the music industry and has managed to stay squeaky clean and grounded with his values. I think he will make a great representative for the Church as a missionary because of his extra activities...he can add one more worthwhile activity to his list soon! And, like it or not, you can bet that Access Hollywood AND the Deseret News will be following him for 2 years because he is a celebrity.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:24 a.m.

wow...I was already a fan, but my esteem for David has gone up.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:24 a.m.

This is great news! I have been critical LDS of athletes and celebs that choose to not go. If he follows through, he can be a great example! Best of luck, David!

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:13 a.m.

It does not have to be at 19. My son is in the MTC at 21. Some young men are not ready at 19. David will be a great missionary.

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    Dec. 20, 2011 7:07 a.m.

Good for him!!

I'm a newcomer to the David fan bandwagon but I love the quality of his voice in the Christmas recording with the Tabernacle Choir last year.
    And I read something he'd said about attending the Jordan River Temple (I think it was) that really impressed me.

So good for him in making this choice. And heres wishing him the best.

• tinahons Trenton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:55 a.m.

You can serve a mission at any age...19 is just the starting age. I say good for him, wish him all the best and his fans will appreciate him more when he comes back to his career:)

• chad Alexandria, VA
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:50 a.m.

To: Y-Ask-Y?

Are you serious?

Why don't you just worry about yourself? You should be saying 'good for you!' to Elder Archuleta and instead you're asking why he didn't leave at 19?

Simply unreal.

• mytymouse09 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:46 a.m.

Good for him for making this great decision, and being willing to put his career on hold for two years.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:41 a.m.

Dear Y ask Y: Oh, honestly!!!!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:28 a.m.

Of course the "what happened to 19" question would come from Provo. Who cares? I wish him the best of luck. What a marvellous opportunity for growth for David.

• Reader Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:26 a.m.

For Y-ask-Y: Young men can go on a mission up until the age of 25. Some of those old missionaries are the best of all.

I have always thought David Archuletta was a fine young man with his head on straight. He is going on a mission for the right reasons - because he has listened to the spirit and feels it is right and he should, not because of peer pressure or someone telling him he should go.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:25 a.m.

To Y-Ask-Y? | 1:17 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Provo, UT
    He is a little older than he should be. What happened to 19?

-------------------------

The "should be" age for each missionary is the age when s/he is ready to serve and when Heavenly Father tells him/her the time is right. 19 is merely the youngest age at which a male missionary can serve (the youngest age for a female missionary is 21).

• SimonSays Riverton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:23 a.m.

I was a little older than 19 when I served my mission ... is there a problem?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:18 a.m.

Y-Ask-Y:

Your cheap shot doesn't warrant any indulgence, but for your information a young man has until age 26 to enter the mission field.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:15 a.m.

Y-Ask-Y? | 1:17 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Provo, UT
    He is a little older than he should be. What happened to 19?
    ----------

Why does that matter?

As I have said all along, a person needs to make the decision on their own. If you don't have your own testimony and dedication to see it through then you should serve in other ways. Going just because you are expected to and doing it half hearted can be harmful. Going before you are ready is harmful.

I am happy to hear this news but even happier he is doing this on his own motivations for the Savior.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:12 a.m.

This could possibly be a little disruptive.

• SoCaLMtnCougar Blue Jay, CA
    Dec. 20, 2011 6:09 a.m.

• gacanepa Villa Mercedes, San Luis, Argentina
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:54 a.m.

That is so great! Congratulations David.

• uncommonsense CENTERVILLE, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:46 a.m.

@ Y-Ask-Y, 19 is simply the youngest age a young man can be to serve a mission. I've had many friends and sons of friends leave at a later age. Perhaps it shows a greater decision on his part and not an automatic "GO". Either way I'm confident it will make him a better man.

• 6'8 Lehi, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:42 a.m.

THAT is awesome! Many LDS stars justify that they are on a full-time mission by continually being in the public-eye. And they can do more missionary work by continuing in their craft. I'm of the opinion that you're on a full-time mission when you when you're on a full-time mission. Although I'm certain David Archuleta will always have a successful singing career, the faith and courage required to do this (and the message it sends) I think is of pioneer proportions.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:32 a.m.

Wow. Good for him. What an amazing experience that will be. Can you imagine being this guy's missionary companion?

• PA Rock Man Allentown, PA
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:07 a.m.

Re: Y-Ask-Y

That was one of the most cynical and judgmental comments I have seen posted here in a long time. Why not just be happy for the young man?

• Eichendorff Olathe, Kansas
    Dec. 20, 2011 5:01 a.m.

Nothing happened to 19. It's still between 18 and 20.

• Paul in MD Montgomery Village, MD
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:36 a.m.

19 is simply the youngest age at which a young man can serve, and it happens to be when most young men start their missionary service. I have known a few young men who were older than 19 when they began their missions. There was a young man in my MTC gym class who was 26. I don't know what the official upper limit is, but it is somewhere in the mid-twenties.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:22 a.m.

@ Y It doesn't matter that he's not 19 right on the dot. 19-26 is a normal range for young men to go.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:16 a.m.

Congarts on your decision, David. The Lord bless you.

@Spitvalve

I'm sure there are many places in the world where David would do wonderful as a missionary.
    I recently had a close friend who some would consider a stereotypical blonde. (but she also has a heart of gold) She served in Hong Kong and had a wonderful experience.

@Y-Ask-Y?

I may be wrong, but I think you can be as old as 25 and still serve as a full-time missionary.

When I was in the mission field, I knew several elders who left the same time I did and were two or three years older than I was.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 2:30 a.m.

He knows his music career has peaked.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:17 a.m.

He is a little older than he should be. What happened to 19?

• Spitvalve Denton, TX