Sports

Utah Jazz sign Howard to one-year deal; A.K. era ends

Comments

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 8:45 p.m.

Oft injured with a checkered past. Why?

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Dec. 16, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Although I still prefer AK, at least Howard finished college and I think that is good. Some of his off-court stuff was teenage junk....and probably racist cops making a big deal out of nothing. He was a big-time defender in college. If his ACL is healed, there is no reason why he cannot get his D back. Hayward's comments are interesting. He talks about Howard's defense. Poor CJ can't even use the word in a sentence.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Robin: I'm excited about the Jazz with or without Howard. It must be awful to have to go through life with such a negative perspective. Basketball is supposed to be fun for the fan. If I want to have fun with it, who are you to try to steal my enjoyment? If you don't like it, find something you enjoy instead of trying to rain on my parade.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 1:23 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

Actually Josh Howard was known as a good defender in Dallas. How much defense does CJ Miles play by the way? His off court troubles are 4 years ago. If he did not like Utah, he would not have signed here. It is a LOW risk deal. It adds depth and takes some pressure off of Hayward and Burks. He is not here to be the franchise player. If you see a better option out there, tell us who would have been better? I understand where you are coming from with the off-court issues, and if he pulls anything like that, they will just waive him. We will see how it goes. It is a little bit of a risk, but I don't mind the Jazz rolling the dice.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 16, 2011 1:03 p.m.

So let's see....the Jazz just brought in a player who:
    - Is often injured
    - Plays terrible defense
    - Has a history of getting in trouble off the court
    - Has said he doesn't like Utah

Yeah, this is going to end well...

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:20 p.m.

I agree. I think it will be a fun year and the Jazz will surprise some people. This will be especially true when they other team is tired and playing back-to-back or back-to-back-to-back or 4 games in 5 nights or 17 games in a month. Barring injury, the Jazz have the depth to stay pretty fresh while other teams superstars are wilting a little.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Don't forget Favors. I'm pretty excited about his upside.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Correction on my last post. I think Favors will be a 4-5 reserve. I thought I had put him on the list. I would like to see him start and bring Millsap off the bench cause I think he would be a heck of a 6th man. The Jazz can use some versatil lineups too. They can do some lineups such as:

3-Evans
    Kanter-4
    Favors-5

3-Millsap
    4-Favors
    5-Memo

3-Millsap
    4-Favors
    5-Jefferson

etc. Then on the guard line Harris and either Howard, Hayward, Burks. Once again, this should be a fun year.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:06 p.m.

I also think this will be a fun year. The Jazz are long and athletic. I am thinking the rotation will be something like this:

Starters

1-Devin Harris
    2-Gordon Hayward
    3-Josh Howard
    4-Paul Millsap
    5-Al Jefferson

Regular rotation from the bench

1-Earl Watson
    2-Alec Burks
    3-CJ Miles or Jeremy Evans (Evans can also play the 4)
    4/5-Enes Kanter
    5-Memo Okur

I think Raja and either CJ or Evans will be the 11th and 12th men on the roster. I think we have seen the best of CJ we will see, and I think the Jazz should use him only when needed. I like Howard on the team. If he plays well, he can take pressure off of Burks and Hayward, and free up more opportunities for them. I think the Jazz will lurk around .500 in the standings, and have a legit shot at the 8th or 7th spot. Regardless, this will be a fun year, and I am as excited this year as I have been in a long time.

• knightrider Sportstown, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:59 a.m.

@ Jim987

Barea better than D-Will..haha..not going to happen. The only reason he did well in Dallas was because he came off the bench and was a different speed. Afflalo? He's a Restricted Free Agent, so he's going to demand a high price, then the Nuggets will just match the offer. Josh Howard is a good signing because it's low risk, possibly high reward.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:49 a.m.

I like the move because...

The Jazz lack depth on the perimeter. I am done with CJ Miles, he is what he is, and he is not getting better. He is a decent player, but too inconsistent. Raja Bell can help out, but is not coming off a terrific year. Burks and Hayward are young, and should be given minutes to progress. However, we were lacking a lot of depth on the perimeter, and still are lacking a bit. Howard is a nice signing because it is low risk, and low price. He has everything to play for, so he will likely give it his best shot. If it works out, maybe we have him long term, he is 31 and might have a few years left. On the other hand, maybe he is finished. Again, it is a 1 year deal. Josh Howard was once a rising young star (not a superstar) and I am intrigued by this signing. I hope it works out.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Projected Jazz roster (13 players currently on guaranteed contracts):

PG: Harris, Watson
    Wings: Bell, Burks, Evans, Hayward, Howard, Miles
    Post: Favors, Jefferson, Kanter, Millsap, Okur

That's a pretty credible team. Should average 20+ pts from the PG (Harris 15 and Watson 6), 35+ from the wings (Hayward, Miles, and Howard should all be in the 12-15 range), and 50+ from the posts (Jefferson at 20, Millsap at 16, Favors and Okur at 8). That's a lot of points even if Burks, Bell, Evans, and Kanter give you nothing at all which is very unlikely. Any kind of defense at all is going to win a lot of games and I believe the defense will be improved.

Final division standings:

Golden State
    New Orleans
    Minnesota
    Sacramento

• chase SL Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:33 a.m.

I bet Bell sees a huge hit on his PT with this

• Millsap fan Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Favors is promising but isn't ready to start just yet. Hasn't proved he can make a jump shot, handle the ball down low, hasn't proved he can make foul shots. All hes shown is glimpses of high potential but millsap should start over him until he can prove his reliability.

• weedeater Murray, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Re: Europe 8:19
    Remember when AK broke a tooth and spit the piece out on the floor without so much as a wince or break in his intense concentration? AK was heroic overall.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Dec. 16, 2011 9:51 a.m.

The Jazz won't be good for another 3 years. So why spend 9 million a year on AK? It is better to go young and grow as a team than bring back AK to take up minutes. Good move by Kevin.

Can Howard play? Who really knows. But he was very good in Dallas and he is still young. On the other hand, we just added another player who can't play defense.

• HerbSewell Las Vegas, Nevada
    Dec. 16, 2011 9:48 a.m.

@PTB,
    Jazz have a strong playoff history, and they will be fine.

• Crotty Kid Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Only time will tell if this was a good signing. I was hoping Millsap would start at the 3 so that Favors could start at the 4 but now I'm not who could fit where and still spread out the minutes. I could see the Jazz having a young starting lineup:

C-Jefferson PF-Favors SF-Hayward SG-Miles PG-Harris

With a veteran 2nd Unit:

C-Memo PF-Millsap SF-Howard SG-Bell PG-Watson

I would rather see Evans and Burks than Howard and Bell but unfortunately I believe that they, along with the Big Enes, are going to be relegated to 3rd string. We'll see what happens. With so much depth, it makes me think they're orchestrating a trade.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Dec. 16, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Europe-
    Thanks for the opinion from a professional. I would take AK at $9 million any year. He is the heart of any team defense. He has been a good citizen and a terrific player.

• Man in Charge Washington, DC
    Dec. 16, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Portland Trailblazer.

Why would portland sign and pay Oden 9 million dollars to miss the whole season? They are the ones who should be moving to seattle and not the Jazz.

You should start petitioning the city of seattle for a new Arena. Unitl you do, enjoy your WNBA team.

• Europe Topeno, Finland
    Dec. 16, 2011 8:19 a.m.

What's wrong with you guys! 34 comments and only ONE that spoke of AK positively. I met AK when he had just come to SLC. Immediately I saw that we had a champion quality athlete. Later i was able watch him close at courtside seats I had. As an Olympic Athletic Trainer (sports medicine) I was thrilled to see sportsmanship athleticism unparallel to many others in the NBA. He may have suffered injuries, but he gave it his ALL. As a professional I wittnessed even an event where he went after a loose ball diving, and catching the ball. Normal person would have gotten injured by trying it and protecting oneself doing it... AK didn't and survived.
    All I can say, that THANKS AK! For making me enjoy the game.

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Optimistic Jazz fans get a grip, pessimistic Jazz fans get a grip. They were never going to make the playoffs this year nor are they going to be the worst team. They will be OK. Tinsley won't make the team, if he does then you peesmists could be right. Howard and Raja if they expect and demand huge minutes could become locker room problems and chemistry could suffer, but I see them being professional. If not pessimists will rule. Al Jefferson has never played on a winning team and Minnesota showed good improvement without him. What the signings so far show me is that KOC, Corbin, the other coaches and even management, realize that the young players are not capable yet. You can't afford to put to much pressure to win on them if they aren't ready or it will foster a losing attitude, that will be hard to break. Case in point Al Jefferson. I think the Jazz know what they are doing, fans be realistic.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Dec. 16, 2011 7:10 a.m.

Hee he hee hee, this is what the lock out brought; sub-par entertainment at an increased cost to the fans. Too funny. Long live the NFL/NHL!

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 7:05 a.m.

@Jim 987

AK is not asking 3 Million a year...it's 9 million a year for three years for a total of $27 million. How does that sound to you? Give O'Conner credit, he's a great GM

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:18 a.m.

Portlands in what? the lottery?

• Jim987 West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:16 a.m.

So we gave up AK, a proven defender just because the Jazz couldn't afford 3 Mil' a year?
    By the way AK has much more character and values. Guess the Jazz org. doesn't have values. Who are we anymore? We passed on Barea, bad, he is gonna be better than D-will this year just watch. We passed on Afflalo (however you spell his name), he is Great. I really think we picked up an old guy that is at the end of his career, just like Bell. What makes KOC and David Locke think Josh is going to return to 80% of who he used to be.
    We might as well pick up McGrady, AI, and Arenas while were at it and we can pass out invitations to a Retro all-star party.
    PS- All you Portland fans your team is going nowhere this year, you have no room to speak. The Jazz as bad as they are will always be one step ahead of you!

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 11:56 p.m.

This signing just gave Burks more fuel to add to his fire! Hayward too!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 11:41 p.m.

He may not be in Utahs plans, but AK at $17m is over priced. At $3m he is a bargain.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 11:26 p.m.

What I dont understand is why Jazz fans think Utah is going to make the playoffs haha.

too funny.

It's funny how Jazz fans think they're the next OKC Thunder, too funny.

But in reality, the Jazz are the next Vancouver Grizzlies or Charlotte Hornets

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Dec. 15, 2011 11:16 p.m.

@Portladn Trail Blazers

What i dont understand is Portland Signing Oden for a 1yr 8-9M deal...

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Clearly this means they have no plans to try Milsap at the 3 so where is the playing time for Favors coming from after Milsaps 30+ minutes.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 10:16 p.m.

If you have the Jazz making the playoffs, who do you have missing them. Nuggets? Nope they're in. Blazers? They're in. Clippers. They're in. Grizzlies? They're in.

Mavs, Spurs, Lakers and Thunder are all locks.

OKC Thunder are winning the divison, EVEN I KNOW THIS, and I AM A BLAZERS' HOMER....

Jazz will be battling the Timberwolves for last place in the divison.

• HugMe Logan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 10:03 p.m.

I like it. This is the most athletic team the Jazz have had in a long time (maybe ever???). I am excited to watch them this year. I am not even sure if they will have a winning record, but they should at least be fun to watch. KOC gets bashed a lot, but I think he is an excellent GM.

• jazzfan19 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Do any of you really believe that Denver will make the playoffs? Have you not followed anything? They lost half their team to China. There is no way they can compete.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Prove the doubters wrong Howard!!!

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:25 p.m.

The jazz don't have a superstar yet but they sure are a lot deeper than last year! And we have some really big lineup possibilities that are going to be hard to contend with! I predict the jazz will make the playoffs.

• pate123 willard, ut
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:13 p.m.

The Jazz will be a playoff team. They might even win their division and be 3-4 here in the west. I think Denver is going to turn some heads; it will be real close between Utah, Denver, and OKC for the division.

• Man in Charge Washington, DC
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:12 p.m.

Portland Trailblazer.

How is Brandon Roy doing? Oh yeah, he's retiring.

How is Aldridge doing? He has a heart problem from the sound of things. Too bad for him.

How's Oden? Out for another season according to team president Larry Miller.

Sonics are dead. They let Durant and Westbrook skip town. Like they deserve another team to ruin.

• colbyspradlin OREM, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 8:36 p.m.

wow, you are ALL wrong. The Jazz made this signing because they are under the tax for the first time in 10 years and it isn't a strong free agent class. They signed Josh Howard because he's a cheap one year bench spot to add to the roster while Corbin works on the main focus of our team. Howard isn't going to take minutes from Hayward or Burks, Howard will fill the role on the bench for this short rough year to help this team grow a bit and we can have the money to offer better free agents next year. He's just a filler for this season. Jazz know we aren't going for a deep playoff run so they are just making best use of the time and saving the money until we can make better signings.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:45 p.m.

@TrailBlazer. Ha you putting the Clippers at #6 in the West discredits everything else that you said. Chris Paul by himself was a playoff team! Now add in a taste of Blake Griffin! They will be better then the Lakers, Spurs, and Memphis!

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:37 p.m.

This signing pretty much defines Miles & Bell's roles as bench warmers, injury replacements, or trade bait just like it should be! We "finally" have now got the quality & depth to contend soon.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:36 p.m.

I'm glad the Jazz just did a 1 year deal. This guy has a lot to prove before he deserves any long term contract. There is a good chance he will never get back to his all star potential. He also has a history of being a head case, and not respecting the American flag. If you don't respect the flag get out of my country!!

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:35 p.m.

@Portland Trail Blazers | 6:13 p.m. Dec. 15, 2011
    Sandy, UT
    Funny for someone who is Blazers fan, Seattle would still have a team, if they would've built a new stadium, but Seattle was to cheap for that, and it is really funny how you care about the Jazz so much. Oh Well!

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:26 p.m.

@Portland Jail Blazer. Stay with your beloved ones, we don't need or appreciate you commenting on ours! In other words get lost!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Portland Trail Blazers -

What in the world makes you think Raja Bell can play the 3 spot?

• spartaman Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:05 p.m.

@ Portland Trail Blazers

Considering its C.J. Miles (not J.C.) and Okur (not okor), I'm going ahead and say you have no idea what you're talking about.

But I'll agree somewhat. Why don't we take some of that super star money we got from the nets for deron and spend it on a play maker. Tell me right now who is going to make plays on the jazz? Who is the starting point guard? Who is the leader of the team? I can't answer any of those questions.

Things aren't looking up for the Jazz.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:41 p.m.

I simply hope his knee is 100%. If it is, this is a fantastic signing. I'm not apposed to the 1 year contract for that reason, in fact I think it's perfect. If it goes well and Josh wants back then great. If he doesn't want back we still come out a winner ... the guy who doesn't want to be here will probably never work out anyway.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:31 p.m.

The Jazz have the making of a team that might just creep up and knock teams out. KOC showing that he wants to win now, thank you for that btw. If JH is healthy, WATCH OUT, dude can play ball! The Jazz are stacked and looking good on paper. Let's see what we do when we take the court. I will be at ESA on Saturday to see what kind of product is running out on the floor this year. The potential is there,

WELCOME JH, lets go back to the Finals.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:28 p.m.

@bluewombat8
    maybe because Howard would only sign a one year deal. He lets the Jazz take a chance on him, knows he will play hard and in a year is making double what he signed with the Jazz for. Worst case scenario is he signs next year for the same amount. Which would you do?

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:13 p.m.

I honestly don't understand this.

The Jazz already have Hayward, J.C. Miles, Raja Bell so there is no need to play Howard at the 3 where the guys already can play that position.

The Jazz are playing for nothing this year. The Jazz are not making the playoffs, they not winning the NW Division, they are signing a guy for absolutely no reason.

Again here are my predictions for the playoffs for the West...

1. Thunder
    2. Lakers
    3. Mavericks
    4. Spurs
    5. Grizzlies
    6. Clippers
    7. Blazers
    8. Nuggets

The Jazz have done nothing to improve. They have Okor back, but he is a non factor. If they cant even make the playoffs with half a season with Deron Williams, there is no way they're making the playoffs without him for an entire season.

The Jazz have no dominant go to guy like almost every other team in the west.

Lakers have Bryant (maybe either Howard or Gasol)
    Spurs - Gino, Duncan, TP
    Blazers - Aldridge
    Thunder - Durant
    Twolves - Love
    Clippers - CP3, Griffin
    Mavs - Dirk
    Grizzlies - Gay, Randolph

This is a pointless move for the Jazz...

I'm starting a petition to move the Jazz to Seattle......they're more deserving

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Played a total of 18 games last year??? Injured? Boozer??

OK

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Maybe Bell + Howard = One decent player.

We can only hope. I'd like to see Hayward and Burks play shooting guard and CJ only play when he isn't being a chucker.

• md Cache, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:53 p.m.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Bluewombat8 Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:49 p.m.

I love the signing but I do have one problem with it. Why did yous sign him for just one year? Typical Jazz to sign a player, get him playing at an All-Star clip then just let them go to a big market team. Lame. But maybe Howard has a break-out year with us and likes the direction our club is going in and wants to stay aboard. But I do love the signing. Now we have 3 former All Stars on the team with 2 others with the potential to be an All Star(Sap and Jefferson) and a stable of young guys, I love the squad we are putting together but I understand we as Jazz fans need to be patient.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:32 p.m.

We don't need more shooters.... we need more makers....

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:30 p.m.

for once kevin o' connor made a good signing