Sports

Utah Utes football: Tyler Shreve leaving program

Comments

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"I do give you credit for trying to convince people of that little falsehood but it is one..."

Poor desperate, frantic and emotional coug. I never said Hansen was a 4-star QB. I said: "Hansen is the only 4-star recruit between them." So once again, it is YOU who is guilty of attempts at deception.

As for the "Asper" case, I admitted I was wrong...but I did NOT lie. I DID check him out, and according to Rivals, he was NOT listed as a 2004 recruit. Along the merits of "Osgrath's" word, I made a 2nd inquiry; that time using Scout, and owned up to my ignorance. That's something you could never do. And that's because you are a very small small man. Weak, wimpy, mid-majorey and WAC-ish. Aka, typical coug.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 17, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Also you're misinformed about Robles. He played QB all of spring ball and only played LB in camp and the first couple games of the season. If you actually stuck around after your team was dominated through three quarters on 9/17, Griff was in at QB for mop up duty.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 17, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Big Cougar, you realize a certain QB starting down south was a 2 star safety coming out of high school, right? It's too early to tell what exact skill set Hansen brings to the Utes, but it's way too early to just assume that he's going to play defense. From what I saw of him playing, he looked lost and unnatural playing defense, unlike Blechen and Kruger. He's the most comfortable with the ball in his hands, and my guess is that to get the most out of him, they keep him on the offensive side of the ball.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 5:56 p.m.

@54-10
    "Cougar fans all over a Utah article. Love it"

What do you expect, the Cougar articles are all boring right now. Can't have any fun there, but I'm sure Chris B, Hedgehog, Howard S, Mgr 63 and others are on the BYU articles giving it the ol' college try.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 5:08 p.m.

Heaps was supposed to be the best qb out of high school and he was terrible. I wouldn't place to much stock in how many stars a player has.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 16, 2011 5:03 p.m.

He wouldn't have been the back-up for the bowl game anyway as he was recovering from thumb surgery.

He certainly seemed to take a step back after spring ball when he was generating a buzz. Had he been able to have bowl practice to get reps, I think he could have helped with the depth next year, but, given that his thumb prevented that, I think Hansen and Wilson would have passed him on the depth chart.

Good luck to him, hope he does well. He's obviously a talented guy, I hope he gets drafted higher than the 10th round next time he's up for the draft.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 3:37 p.m.

@naval lint

None of the recruiting sites has Hansen listed as a 4 star qb recruit. None of them. He ins't even listed as a qb on any of them. He is listed on rivals as a 4 star athlete and I agree he is an absolute stud of an athlete. On scout.com he is listed as a 3 star OLB.

I do give you credit for trying to convince people of that little falsehood but it is one, just like the one with the Oregon lineman Asper, that was very easily shown to be false.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Cougar fans all over a Utah article. Love it.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 2:03 p.m.

@UU32
    I didn't say it was a bad move. ;) Just pointing out that ute fans shouldn't assume Hansen is going to play QB when Utah already recruited one for this class (and like you agreed with me on), Whitt has a history of moving his good athletes out of the QB position to play defense.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 1:32 p.m.

BigCougar - you mean Paul Kruger of the NFL?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 1:02 p.m.

@williary
    "Even Cougar fans still upset they lost him, will agree with that"

You're right, Chase would've provided nice depth at OLB behind Kyle Van Noy and Alani Fua next season. We're upset we lost him. Rats. Darn. Shucks. Awwww horsefeathers!

Seriously, ESPN is the only recruiting service that even lists him at QB and they have him as the 78th best in his class. He would never see the field except on defense at BYU, not with Taysom Hill (4 star top 20 QB out of HS) ahead of him and Tanner Mangum (4 star, #2 pro style QB) behind him.

I don't think BYU fans are anymore upset about his going to play LB at Utah than they would be if 4th string QB Jason Munns missed the bowl game due to an injury.

No, Kyle will, I'm sure, give him the Paul Kruger treatment.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:50 p.m.

"Hansen will be on campus for Spring ball, to compete for the backup QB spot. Mark it down!"
    Signed, Paul Kruger, Devonte Christopher and Brian Blechen

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:08 p.m.

The idea of Hansen being a lock to move to LB/Safety is something jealous Cougar fans tell their children each night before they go to bed.

Hansen will be on campus for Spring ball, to compete for the backup QB spot, a position of great importance considering Wynn's injury history.

He's not coming in early to get a jump on moving to LB.

He'll get every shot in the world to play QB. Even Cougar fans still upset they lost him, will agree with that if telling the truth, especially after watching him this last season.

He'll battle with Travis Wilson to see who the #2 is. If he takes that spot, he's one play away from playing this year. He's already discussed delaying his mission until January.

If he beats out Wilson, and Wynn goes down, he could see the field this year. If Wilson beats him out, he takes off on his mission. And the fact that he was enrolled in school prior initiates the Riley Nelson rule for a mission kid.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 11:25 a.m.

@Naval Vet
    "Robles has the most experience, and came to Utah with as much talent as Wilson is expected to bring. Hansen is the only 4-star recruit between them"

all kidding aside, I don't know how much of an advantage Robles will have, he's spent hardly any time at QB while at Utah. He's been at LB this year and last year he spent a lot of time running the ball and was Utah's 4th leading rusher (iirc). I don't know if he was getting those carries running the wildcat formation or if he was actually taking hand-offs like a RB. He just reverted back to QB recently.

Hansen is 4 star as an Athlete but none of the recruiting services list him higher than 3 star at either OLB or QB. ESPN is the only one that lists him at QB and they even say, "He has very good size and is good looking on the hoof. Is an ideal fit for the spread under center and could be a candidate to make the move to safety..."

Knowing Whitt's history with "Athletes", I doubt Hansen spends any time at QB unless nobody else steps up.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:58 a.m.

@Naval Vet
    "Wynn worked hard in adding 40-lbs to his slight frame, and eventually won the starting gig"

Wow, so Wynn went from 125 lbs to 165 lbs? That's impressive! ;-)

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:25 a.m.

So, was Shreve upset about being moved to Safety?

@Oldcougar
    "From what I've seen of Hansen's talent, Shreve made a good choice if he wants to get time on the field."

I doubt that would have affected Shreve, Hansen's going to play Linebacker, not Safety.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:07 a.m.

In the Spring of 2009, Wynn enrolled early to get a jump on competing for the wide open QB spot vacated by a graduating Brian Johnson. From that point thru the end of Fall camp, Wynn worked hard in adding 40-lbs to his slight frame, and eventually won the starting gig. When Wynn started the Spring and Fall camps of 2010, he had NOT worked hard, nor spent much time in the weight room, and started the 2010 season roughly the same size and skill level he was at the start of the prior season. This complacency cost both himself and the team he was charged with leading. Offseason surgery likely prevented him from hitting the gym prior to the 2011 season, and will likely do so again prior to the 2012. This was a golden opportunity for Shreve to take control of his future, but despite the advise offered by his coaches, he just couldn't focus on Football.

Wynn will most likely start the next Fall without much improvement, and I would be very surprised if he makes it all the way through October without another season-ending injury. So, ANOTHER golden opportunity exists to whomever opts to reach out and grab it...but only IF someone would be willing to put in the required work to grab it, and again IF he - unlike Wynn - would be willing to put in the work necessary to KEEP it. Robles has the most experience, and came to Utah with as much talent as Wilson is expected to bring. Hansen is the only 4-star recruit between them. All three have plenty of talent, but who possesses the best work ethic? Who has the most desire? I hope we can hold on to Chow. He'll be needed to develop one of those three. GO UTES!!!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Dec. 16, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Good luck, Tyler.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:11 a.m.

CougFaninTx: Griff Robles. Shreve was a redshirt and wouldn't have played in the bowl anyway.

Good luck in Riverside, dude.

• UgottaloveMaxie Murray, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:55 p.m.

really cougar_independence? 2-3 qbs leave byu every year!! talk about an exodus. Oh and congrats on the 17 all independence team selections. of 4 teams ha what a joke

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:46 p.m.

First basketball players leaving, now football players leaving. Mass exodus from Salt Lake City.

• MN Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 8:56 p.m.

CougFaninTX- we still have Griff Robles as an option qb, so I'm guessing he'll be the backup for the bowl

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Who is the back-up QB for the bowl game?

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 7:08 p.m.

DesNews how about mentioning somewhere that Star Lotulelei has been named the winner of the Morris Trophy.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Smart to know where you are going when you leave rather than announcing you are leaving than finding out you overplayed your hand.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Forgot to mention...

My Ute flag has been lowered to half-mast.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:03 p.m.

@CO Ute

Excuse me, you were not around when the Red / White game was played this year nor when camp was in session.

Come back after you do your 'resurch skool' stuff and rejoin the conversation.

On the floor laughing hysterically.

One last question...

How's life in Colorado as a Ute fan amongst all those Buff fans? Enquiring minds want to know!

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Good luck Tyler.

Duckhunter 54-10
    SammyP 54-10

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:26 p.m.

Duckhunter - if you thought it was especially funny considering all the hype from Utah fans, you must have needed a straight jacket when another school lost its QB. I don't recall a press conference for an announcement from Shreve nor do I recall any claims of a Heisman or national championship. You sure seem to get a lot of joy from the misfortunes of others and you seem to post on every Utah article with an opinion on everything/everyone plus always have some inside knowledge about every situation. Kind of sad really.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:14 p.m.

SammyG - how in the world did you come up with Shreve as the prize backup QB. Kid never played a down and was redshirted for a reason. While I wish him well at his new college this isn't a big loss for the Utes. He had his chance to get on the field this year and for whatever reason it didn't pan out. Move on and free up the scholarship because he probably wasn't going to get on the field next year either without moving to a new position.

• wimmer33 clearfield, ut
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Maybe him and Heaps can go to Iggy's in Cali and hold a press conference and talk aboout how great they were in HS and win a National title together.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Good luck Tyler. Glad you had that Ute experience.

Now that the pleasantries are dispensed with...

ha ha, ho ho ho, he he he, boohoo, and bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

As both programs say goodbye to their prized back-up QBs it's nice to know that there is 'balance in the universe'

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:40 p.m.

@vespa,

Yes, he's the one who was arrested for assaulting his coach. Stay classy!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Mike W

Except Heaps actually started and played in games, he may not have been the next Steve Young like some were projecting but there is no doubt he could easily be the #1 QB up on the Hill. Heaps wasn't hurt after every play and no doubt has more skills than Hays. Like any Ute fan wouldn't want any decent QB on the roster rather than Hays and Shreve. just look at the "hype" already surrounding Hansen. Which may be deserved as I have seen him play and he is the real deal.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:31 p.m.

I thought this was a questionable recruit the minute I heard he punched a coach in high school. I am surprised he lasted this long. Coach Chow was constantly commenting about how good he could be if he could focus on football. I also know the Utah baseball coaches said the same thing about how good he could be if he focused on baseball.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:31 p.m.

I with the young man well. Play baseball, son...your joints will thank you when you get old!

• vesparider Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Isn't Shreve the kid that punched his high school coach? I'm wondering if he didn't like the option coaches gave him of changing positions like half of Utah's qb's end up doing.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Never mind what coach Whit has to say about him leaving, we all want to know what Hedgehog and Chris B have to say!

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:17 p.m.

"This shouldn't surprise anyone at all and is especially funny considering all the hype about him from utah "fans" last year."

BYU fans definately know all about over-hyped quarterbacks!!!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:10 p.m.

I would like to wish hime luck at Riverside. Hope he has success and happiness there.

I'll bet the first two posters can think of some things I am thinking about their comments. No Class!

• Barkoffofapineapple Odessa, TX
    Dec. 15, 2011 3:14 p.m.

If you can't beat out John Hays for the #2 spot, how good can you really be anyway? He had plenty of chances with the Utes. I can't say that I'm really sad to see him go. The Utes will be loaded at QB next year anyway.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to leave. He wasn't any good anyway and had no chance to ever start, which is really saying a lot considering utah's abysmal qb record and situation. I'm sure he wanted to actually play and they probably wanted the scholarship open. This shouldn't surprise anyone at all and is especially funny considering all the hype about him from utah "fans" last year.