Opinion

Readers' forum: I'm for Romney

Comments

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 9:53 a.m.

'Also, see huffington post today for Mitt declaring himself a progressive in 2001.' - one vote | 11:40 a.m. Dec. 13, 2011

Don't forget Mitt Romney pledging to SUPPORT gay rights in 1994...

*'Mitt Romney pledges opposition to gay marriage' - CBS News - 08/04/11

Then:

'It's also notable because Romney was not always such a strong opponent of gay rights. In 1994, he sent a letter to a gay Republican group saying he would be a stronger advocate for gay rights...' - Same Article

Before pledging AGAINST gay marriage...

in 2011.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Ten Grand says he is not a role model. Also, see huffington post today for Mitt declaring himself a progressive in 2001.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 10:18 a.m.

'I'm assuming Obama, because you've made yourself quite clear about Mitt Romney. How is that making things better for America?' - Ms.W | 10:22 p.m. Dec. 12, 2011

Valid question.

*'Obama HRC Speech: "I Will End Don't Ask, Don't Tell," Says President Obama' - By CHRISTINE SIMMONS - Huffington Post - 10/10/09

Delivery:
    *'Obama signs 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal' - By Pauline Jelinek - AP - Published by DSnews - 12/22/10

Result?

14,000 men & women discharged, myself included, will more than likely join our military once again. And avoid costly training for new replacements.

*'Osama bin Laden Killed: 'Justice Is Done,' President Says' - By DEAN SCHABNER - ABC News - 05/01/2011

*'We have been waiting for this moment': Libya confirms Gadhafi is dead' - MSNBC - 10/20/2011

*'Obama announces total Iraq troop withdrawal' - By Ben Feller - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/21/2011

Obama took the -700,000/year and turned it to...

zero.

While the economy is far from perfect, we ARE begining to see turn around.

Until...

*'Republicans bail on budget talks, blame Democrats' - By David Espo - AP - Published by DSNews - 06/23/11

Obstruction....

• Ms.W South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 10:22 p.m.

"I love my country and want the best for it. That is definitely NOT Romney. I wouldn't support Romney for any office. He would just make things worse. No, thanks."

And Obama will make it better? See, this is what I don't understand about people. If it comes down to Romney and Obama, who will you vote for? I'm assuming Obama, because you've made yourself quite clear about Mitt Romney. How is that making things better for America?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 11:09 a.m.

'I'm for Romney' - Title

C'mon DSNews. I guess the newspaper is tired of being called on it's partsian stance...

*'Mitt Romney: Too good to be trusted?' - By Linda & Richard Eyre, For the Deseret News - 12/11/11

*'Stories show how church service shaped Mitt Romney's character' - By Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News - 12/09/11

*'How Mitt Romney is 'a notorious cheapskate' - By Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News- 11/30/11

Now we use this paper to publish letters from members...?

Let's look at Mitt Romney's ACTIONS.

*'Let Detroit Go Bankrupt' - By Mitt Romney - NY Times - 11/18/08

Estimated Result?

*'How Many Jobs Depend on the Big Three?' - By CATHERINE RAMPELL - NY Times - 11/17/08

'In both cases, there would be major short-term shocks to employment; depending on which scenario you use, a contraction of the Detroit Three would result in direct and indirect job losses of 2.5 million to 3 million in 2009.'

3 million American jobs....

lost.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 9:40 a.m.

To make a meaningful bet, shouldn't Romney had bet 10 million instead of a paltry ten grand since he is in the top .01%?

• David King Layton, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 9:16 a.m.

@Mr. Bean
    I'm not a Gingrich or Obama supporter, so I stick to what I originally wrote. There are more than two candidates in the race, and I happen to support one of the others. Ron Paul has been consistent, married to the same woman for 54 years, and always adhered to Constitutional principles. I'm not embarrassed to list any reason why I wouldn't vote for Romney. If you think it's a religious thing, you should know I'm LDS and love the LDS faith. My problems with Romney are entirely political, and nothing to do with his personal life.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 7:54 a.m.

The anybody but Obama crowd has ended up with an anybody.

• embarrassed Utahn! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 5:14 a.m.

Romney honest? I dare you to google "Fact-check Romney" and then come back and rewrite your letter with explanations about why he said what he did.

Obama will win handily.

• Neanderthal Salt Lake, UTah
    Dec. 12, 2011 12:52 a.m.

@The Real Maverick: "But as Hunstman said, Romney is nothing more than a panderer, who will say ANYTHING to be elected. No thanks! I don't want that as President!"

You'd prefer an adulterer, then? Or, a guy who had to pay $300,000 in fines for misconduct in the US House of Representatives? Think about it.

• Miss Piggie Salt Lake, UTah
    Dec. 12, 2011 12:30 a.m.

@Ok:

"Mitt Romney has many serious flaws. He lacks morels..."

Lacks 'morels'? Are you saying he lacks mushrooms?

If you want moral flaws try Gingrich:

He admitted to adultery while his wife was on her sick bed with cancer... Adultery with... (I'll give you two guesses who).

He had to pay a $300,000 fine for misconduct while in the Congress.

He was paid $1.6 million be Freddie Mac for financial advice... as a history professor??!! Give us a break!

There's you some 'morels.'

"He may serve on the cabinet, but he should never be allowed to serve as president in charge of the controls."

Sounds like you're talking about Gingrich, right? Except Gingrich should serve no place in government. He needs to go back to his teaching profession in some high school someplace.

• Mr. Bean Salt Lake, UTah
    Dec. 11, 2011 11:34 p.m.

@David King:

"-shifting positions on several issues, at politically expedient times..."

Then you certainly wouldn't want to vote for either Obama or Gingrich, who've switched positions as many times on serious issues you claim Romney has.

"-his top donors are banks and Wall Street types..."

Gingrich was paid $1.6 million by Freddie Mac for absolutely nothing of value in return. Called graft and corruption. So, you wanna vote for him?

"-talk that would likely lead to a trade war with China"

Here's the Gingrich position on China: 'supported GATT and WTO, which allowed China to import slave-labor-made goods resulting in a $273 billion trade deficit with China which cost millions of U.S. jobs.'

"-talk that will almost inevitably lead to war against Iran..."

Everyone running for the White House maintains severe that sanctions against Iran for its nuke program are required... which is the truth.

Fess up, you hate Romney for other reasons that you'd be embarrassed to list.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Cool story!

No thanks! I don't want that as President!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2011 12:56 p.m.

I'm for Romney moving to La Jolla, California. He can help the economy by continuing to enlarge his, already, large home. The construction industry will be forever grateful. I'll "bet" he buys lots of groceries for his large family, and is an overall hefty consumer of many California services. They will love having him there!

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 12:30 p.m.

When I read Furry's comments, I thought it was Furry just being Furry.

Then I looked at my puppy and suddenly realized Furry is onto something.

My puppy is loyal, caring and giving.

She is a job creator.

When someone is talking she looks and listens.

She is a proven problem solver.

Just as Republicans love the mantra "anyone but President Obama", the same thinking can be applied perfectly to the shrinking list of Republican hopefuls.

• ugottabkidn Sandy, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Kathryn, which one?

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Mitt Romney has many serious flaws. He lacks morels, he is less than honest and he is quick to pull the trigger. He may serve on the cabinet, but he should never be allowed to serve as president in charge of the controls. He would damage the United States and many other countries.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 11:08 a.m.

To goatesnotes | 9:48 a.m. Dec. 11, 2011

the only Republican worth beans is Huntsman. The rest would just make things worse than they are now.

Personally, I'm planning right now on voting for my border collie, Jillyan. She's a far better candidate, and far better for the country, than any of the others.

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 9:48 a.m.

So I'm curious. . . if not Romney, who? Obama. Really? I'll personally take Republican X over Obama any day.

• isrred Logan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Role models don't devastate thousands of American families by eliminating their jobs so that the "role model" can make his hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Your argument was great. It makes me want to vote Obama.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Thanks for the laugh, Kathryn. Your description of Romney is amusing, and a good joke. You clearly have "bought" the package Romney wants to sell; unfortunately that's not the real Romney. The REAL Romney cares for, and works for, himself only. He will say and do whatever it takes to get what he wants, and has shown that he will say the exact opposite with the next person or group to whom he speaks for the same reason. He's a politician -- nothing more, nothing less. And if you want to know how "good" he his for people, just ask the people who worked for companies taken over by Bain Capital (people that he harmed in the take-overs and their aftermath where his wealthy sponsors profited and the "little guys" suffered). The idea that he can turn around the economy is laughable at best.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 6:07 a.m.

Well good for you. And because he is a fantastic role model and is actually solving enormous problems dropped in his lap by the Republicans, which everyone knew approaching the 2008 election, I'm supporting President Obama.

• David King Layton, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 1:37 a.m.

"I am confident that he, better than anyone else, can turn our economy around."

Statements like this worry me, because many seem to believe the President runs the economy, or that only government can create jobs or prosperity. Blame or give credit to Sarbanes-Oxley, Dodd-Frank, the bank bailouts, the stimulus bill, the loose monetary policy of the Federal Reserve for the state of economy, but the President doesn't deserve as much credit/blame as we are prone to give.

Certainly Romney has admirable qualities, but there are concerns. These are mine personally:

-shifting positions on several issues, at politically expedient times (abortion, gay rights, individual mandate, climate change, bank bailout)
    -his top donors are banks and Wall Street types (money is powerful, will he be strong and stand against another bailout if he's been paid off by the bankers?)
    -talk that would likely lead to a trade war with China
    -talk that will almost inevitably lead to war against Iran (we have neither the money nor the man power for another war)

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 12:48 a.m.

Good for you. Now we can include you in the 25% of Republicans who like him.