View from the Booth: Utah basketball needs talent, but it'll take time

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 2:23 p.m.

You tell those of us who are true Utah fans not to take your comments personally, yet a few comments ago you said that your entire motivation for being so active on Utah articles is that you have taken what some Utah have said personally yourself. So who is the hypocrite? Like Dutchman, I too largely stay away from the comment boards to avoid having to deal with comments like yours. I have had several exchanges with you on these boards that have proven to me you are not sincere when you say you don't hate anyone.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 2:18 p.m.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Ducky said...

"I have become very effective" , "I love to expose them and do it constantly" or "i do have talent"

You sound like jake heaps at his presser. lol

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Your battle for the hearts and minds of the fringes of the Utah fan base will never be won, I for one wish that the Deseret News would just close down these comment boards. They serve no purpose. The same group of people post here day after day to the point that I don't come here very often anymore. It is time for you to come home from the war zone. Why do you want to be grouped with the other trolls? Breeding contention is not productive. Surely there are other causes more worthy of your many talents.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:12 p.m.

"Jiggy Watkins , David Foster, Jason Washburn and Chris Hines all chose to stay and made for a solid foundation."

Sorry, this is not a foundation when they keep getting beat by 20+ points by D2 schools. I respect the fact they stayed to rebuild but the foundation comes in next year.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 5:08 p.m.

But that said I do not hate utah, it's athletes, it's employees or even the majority of its fans. But I do love giving it back to the ones that have it coming and I have become very effective at it. I can usually get all of the utah "fans" I mentioned to respond angrily to my posts. It is obvious that they can dish it but are completely incapable of taking it and exposing them as hypocrites and bigots is what I really enjoy.

So don't worry about me, I don't hate. To the contrary I love. I love to expose them and do it constantly.

I realize that in the process I upset some of the true Utah fans like yourself, gdog, motorbike and others. I realize that you all at times respond angrily to my digs at utah and its "fans" because you take it personally. My advice is don't take it personally. I do have a talent for identifying and emphasizing the things that will get a rise out of all of you but if it really is more than you can handle then just ignore it. It isn't meant for you anyway.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 3:44 p.m.

I understand that you enjoy sticking up for your school. I believe that you commented once that your crusade began over one year ago when you got tired of the U fans who would "put down" the Y and its players. Yes, there are indeed people of poor judgement and frankly nothing else to do on both sides of the fan base. But, it has been over a year by your own account of defending your positions and opinions and doing it almost every day. How long do you intend on continuing this battle? Often times it is just better to drop the negativity from our lives and move on. Just trying to look out for your health.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:15 p.m.

The utes must quit firing coaches, and build some consistency. In my humble opinion, Boylen should have stayed a few years longer.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:50 a.m.

kosta mcnugget eh...........I like it!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:20 a.m.

@kosta mcnugget

It is French and yes that is what it means.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:19 a.m.

@still blue

what is your prediction based on? It is interesting that you call out Bill Riley and then tell him that it takes time to build a winner, which was the entire point of his article...BYU is a great program. Yeah, they are "rebuilding"; but they have stability and a solid, proven coach. Utah will get there.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:33 a.m.

my latin-based language skills are sub-par........is that french for "the more things change, the more they stay the same"?

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Hey Bill and all the Ute fans: you seem to think that your team is the only young and re-building team around. Not so. BYU has 7 players on its team playing their first year of college basketball. And they have Haws coming back next year and K Collinsworth coming back the following year. BYU's top recruits this year have begun their senior seasons with lights out performances. And while Emery and Haws have ties to the BYU program, they ARE the best two players in the state. You cannot turn around a basketball or any other team in one season. It takes time to learn how to win. Utah football did it by hiring a bunch of BYU guys that knew how to win. My prediction is that in 3 years, Hill will fire his coach and start again.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I love that utah "fans" like yourself have to reference football on a basketball article. LOL! I also love how 5 of you were bothered enough to reply.

Le minerai de plus que les choses changent elles restent les memes! LOL!

I don't like to see people fail but as I also said, and you conveniently left out, when "u" do fail I am going to enjoy rubbing it in. But of course that is exactly what utah "fans", several of them on this very article, do over on the BYU boards so as usual just realize that I am the balance. I don't complain about your trolls being there but just realize that if they ever go away so will I. "u" actually are the ones that make the decision to have me here. "u" are the ones that brought me here to begin with. Don't forget that.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:34 a.m.

I've often said that if I were ever to coach high school basketball, I could win by taking the kids who hustled the most and worked the hardest. Yes, I would recruit three or four tall boys who seemed to have potential, and I would work with them to achieve that potential, but I would place the bulk of my fate in the hands of the overachievers. I also would take good shooters over those who had nothing more than physique. In my mind basketball is a team sport, and even though you might seldom beat teams with infinitely more talent, you won't lose many games by wide margins if you rely on defense, rebounding, hustle, teamwork, good passing and hard work. I'm guessing that those elements are missing from this year's team, just as they were from last year's team, which reminded me more of a selfish church ball team than one representing a Division I university -- any Division I university.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:43 a.m.

You posted this line as part of a larger comment just the other day, ".....I never like to see people fail...."

I really wish that you would set the example and live by what you say. The truth is you like to see any player or coach at the U fail.

• mamalongarms Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Since Foster hasn't officially decided whether or not he's redshirting or not I'll throw out a question. Would you support his decision to stay? Why or why not?

This isn't a quick decision for the big guy, he has more to think of than himself (wife and baby), and I'm sure most/all of you have noticed that the scholarship numbers don't add up with the incoming class.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:19 a.m.

I meant to say "this PROGRAM will get back to its winning ways".....this team might beat idaho state, but will probably lose out after that.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Bill is spot on here. This is a roster that was thrown together at the last minute and they have been missing thier backbone (Foster) for the entire season. This team will get back to its winning ways.

The starting lineup next year will not feature anyone except Washburn who started this year. Dean, Dotson, Loveridge, Olsen will join Washburn. Scoring, rebounding, and defense will all improve.

• Majerus'_Sweater SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 7:44 a.m.

Riley, when are you going to stop making excuses for Larry's staff and Chris Hill? You're clearly biased since you have to work with them on a regular basis. Maybe that's why you keep crushing Boylen at every turn. From what I've heard, he did a lot for you personally and yet you continue to float the lie that he pushed guys to leave? Have you talked to those players or do you just repeat whatever Larry sells you even though logic would indicated that anything he says will likely be self-serving? Let's be honest here, Boylen had a solid recruiting class last season (Clyburn, Watkins, O'Brien). Those guys could compete in our new conference. Heck, Boylen might have won 20 games in a weak Pac 12 with all of his guys back. Larry's replacements could barely compete in ward ball right now. But hey, change for the sake of change is great right? So what if we don't win a D-I game this season and are the laughingstock of college basketball. Thank goodness for Ute football. I don't know how much more I can take of this. Majerus must be smiling somewhere right now.

• MC Ute Midvale, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Motorbike-- Could not agree more. As a member of the Crimson Club and a Season Ticket holder for over 30 years I could not agree more. I have lived through seasons that were down right embarrassing in both FB and BB but continue to support. We have played USU and WSU consistantly yearly. The FB cancelled last year as they had the chance to play ND, and USU was very cordial in helping us out. As far as BB, I really do not care if we play them, the press may think their student section is "wonderful" however their comments are rude and degrading. Fans need to cheer for their team not degrade other players with absolutley uncalled for remarks. As a Utah fan I know this is hard to say, however I feel when BYU played there this year, the comments made toward Davies were over the edge and I would not blame for not going to USU again. I will continue to support the Utes in all they do. Go UTES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sticks17 Midway, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 7:22 a.m.

Really? you still want to call your coach, Coach K, with a 1-7 start and that win isn't even a win over a Division one team?

Its a good thing the seats in the HS are red so it will look like the place is packed for the red out game. However it will probably be more blue than red, again.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Ducky - Always good to see you out trollin' little brother. I can't wait to chat about your prediction next year and the year after...no doubt you'll still be all over the Utah articles.
    Next year the Utes will see marked improvement. The following season I'll predict they'll be equal to or better than any other team in the state. This staff is legit. I could be wrong on the timing of things, but so could you my friend...we'll see.
    Bottom line, we'll take our humble pie beat downs this year, but it'll be great fun to watch it come back together.

CougFaninTX - Do you know how often the Y has bagged out on scheduling USU and Weber State compared to how many times Utah has? It's not even close. Know what you're talking about before you post.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Another article where Hill gets a pass.

The one person in charge of the the entire athletic program at the U seems to be AWOL with regard to the basketball program.

This disaster is not on the basketball players.

This disaster is not on the basketball coaches (Hill hired the current HC).

This disaster is squarely on the shoulders of the AD.

Dec. 8, 2011 10:38 p.m.

@ TheHailstorm

nice nickname, I like it, especially since K2 is also the most dangerous of the mountains to climb. So many who've conquered everest never beat K2, and some even died on it, so a good nickname for a great coach.

As for the rest of the season, I think if K2 can manage one or two wins stolen from good teams, I'll be happy. Next year should be good, and for recruiting, there's always the pitch that the kids might get immediate playing time, always a great incentive.

well, here's to hoping for continued improvement throughout the season and being ready to compete next season. Go Utes!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 10:01 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    You have no credibility left as you seem to hide when your predictions of doom disappear.
    Remember Heaps that you bragged about or how you hid in the blind after the woeful display at RES ?
    The spelling is still bad--" whoever Coach Rose hooses" ?
    Give coach K2 some credit as Boylen not only left the program but continued to rip it apart after his departure.
    Be glad he isn't saying that, " the Lord wants them to play for the "U" because the Prophet graduated here."
    BTW--- K2 has been measured as being the highest peak in the Himalayas, not Everest.. so, with me K2 it is .. the the loftiest perch on the planet.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Dec. 8, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Wow, this was a great article, and I completely agree with everything you said! I think anybody with a brain knew this was going to be a terrible season, and hopefully nearly everyone with said brain knew we were going to have to be patient. Anybody with a brain, once again, should know that Krisko can coach, look what he did with his past college team. Also, you can't deny he is bringing in a very good first recruiting class. Obviously, they will be young and inexperienced, but this can only bode well for the future. I still support my Utes and will always cheer for them, and hopefully we can start seeing some progress with a foundation being laid with what we have now. Stick with it fellow Ute fans, we will be rewarded! Go Utes!

• Th Tooele, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Thanks Bill. What "duck hunter" doesn't understand is that when a coach comes in with only 4 players on the roster, none of which in my opinion are worth a scholarship other than Foster, things weren't going to go well. Jiggy would be a nice 7th or 8th man. Hines is around there as well. Wash is a bench player at best. Foster was the biggest key of this season and he's out. Sounds like he won't medical redshirt either. It would be nice if he would as Krystkowiak has some good talent for 2012.

Basketball can be turned around in one season. While I wouldn't expect a 20 win season next year, Krystko is but a couple years away. Krystko will get the big in state recruits from here on out. I have no doubt. At least the ones that don't have BYU ties such as a Haws or Emery.

I put the results of this season on one man. Jim Boylen! The man has in my opinion proven he has no integrity when he acted as an agent for players you mentioned. Coach K would fill the holes JB couldn't! For now, won't win another game!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 8, 2011 8:18 p.m.

"I look forward to seeing a great crowd for the rivalry game on Saturday at noon at the Huntsman Center."

The only problem is most of them will be wearing blue.

Utah may improve next year, since anything is an improvement over rock bottom. But I don't expect U to reach double digit wins next year. And I still expect some fallout, whether it be players leaving for greener pastures or recruits seeking a better team. Good players want to play for winning programs, good coaches and be on TV.

The biggest thing that turned me off about Utah basketball was cancelling the game with Utah State. Instead, U scheduled games with Adams State, SD Christian, and UNC Ashville. Win or lose; BYU, Utah, USU and Weber State should play each other at least once each season. U owe it to the fans.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 8:00 p.m.

Apparently there's a few little brothers who will always be obsessed with us. That's kind of a silver lining.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 7:38 p.m.

Nice try bill but there is no silver lining, there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There is nothing but misery for a looooooooong time to come. Patience is something utah "fans" have no choice but to excercise.