Sports

Whether Nelson will start at QB today will be his call

Comments

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 10:44 p.m.

It's time for Bronco to step up and be the coach instead of being one of the band of brothers. He has mis-manage this QB debacle from the beginning.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 8:44 p.m.

I see Riley is playing well and so far uninjuried...I hope it stays that way.

Merry Christmas

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 3, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Veracity, I love ya, bro! I AM one of those dads who had to learn not to live my life vicariously through the accomplishments of my kids. But I also came to learn that I wasn't near as smart as the refs, the coaches and a lot of times my own kids when it came to athletics.

It's cool to be concerned whether Riley is being / allowed to rush back too soon after a serious injury. I don't want him to rush back too soon either. But SOMEBODY has to make that call. Should it be you? Me? The doctors? The coaches? Maybe Dr. Nelson is also willing to let his son do serious damage to himself, but can you see his MOTHER sitting quietly by unless SHE was confident he was ready to play again?

And the cow didn't jump OVER the moon; he SHOT the moon because HE was holding the ace of trump. Can't tell you about the cat...

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

And I'll bet you can rationalize how the cow jumped over the moon and the cat ran away with the spoon.

• hornetfan declo, id
    Dec. 3, 2011 2:30 p.m.

@ Veracity

I agree with Y Grad/Y Dad ... and the others

These decisions are not done in a vaccum. Qualified physicians are making their decision and the rest is up to the coaches and players.

I speak from a little experience. My son played ball at SUU and got a punctured lung (real one) spent night in hospital and was released the next day. He had to refrain from practice and missed two games and started the third one. The scenario was just like this one. I hope it works as well for Riley. Nobody wants someone hurt but their is a risk in this game even if healthy.

? Is your dislike for the program, coaches, whatever the real reason you are in the arguement?

I wish the Cougars and whoever plays lots of luck. I hope for a victory.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 3, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Veracity, your not reading for content.

I invited YOU to go ahead and attribute to coaches Mendenhall and Doman nothing but a selfish, win at all costs attitude. It's what more than a few on these boards have said, and more have implied.

And by the way, if you lay down the cards and call the hand, only to discover the ace of trump is still in play, I'm not the one feeling foolish.

But you are right. Any individual's health has to be paramount. The doctors have cleared him. His coaches have watched him in practice. His own father may or may not be an idiot, but I'd lean towards not.

All are saying one thing, you are saying another. Again, I'll lean with them on this one.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 12:05 p.m.

The more this situation evolves, the more I believe that Bronco (and possibly Doman) are trying to push Heaps out of the program; whether or not they believe that Heaps is the QB of the future, this is setting a bad example to recruits. This game is the perfect opportunity to show Heaps that they are giving him a "chance" to compete for the job. Riley is obviously not going anywhere, but if Riley starts today Jake will be gone by the end of the month (he may be anyway, but this will solidify it). Very poor leadership.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Dec. 3, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Great comments at the end of the article by the TE Friel. That's one of the reasons why I love the BYU football team. They represent more than just football. Their firesides really are amazing experiences.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad | 6:23 a.m. Dec. 3, 2011
    Richland, WA

Veracity

Is laying your cards down while someone else still holds the ace of trump a little embarrasing?

Answer:

First: If someone is still holding an ace when the game is over, who is the fool?

Second: I don't know how many times I have seen parents at their boys game making complete idiots out of themselves wanting there kid to be the hero...I am not saying Rileys father is a fool, but I do wonder what modivates him.

Third: The last part of your paragraph scares me the most..."wanting to win this game, at ANY cost.

Wow, you really believe that hog-wash...does any cost stop at brain concussion, maybe at brain damage, perhaps at death...what does any cost mean to you, to him, to his parents? This is foolish!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Play ball, this is a violent, collision sport that requires heart and will that spells Riley Nelson all day.

He has been cleared by the doctors. In today's societal litigious atmosphere I doubt that a physician would publicly state that Riley is clear to play if he was not psychically capable.

The Riley haters simply hate and they want the player the want, which is Heaps the gutless wonder.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 3, 2011 7:44 a.m.

I am really getting sick of this. For the coaches, they need to make a call and stick with the consequences! If I were Heaps, I would look around. He obviously does not have their confidence.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 3, 2011 6:23 a.m.

Veracity

Hello? Riley HAS a dad, who happens to be a sports doctor. Do you think he might intervene? Let's give Bronco and Doman no credit at all. Let's say that they are purely and totally motivated by wanting to win this game, at any cost. Do you think if Riley isn't ready to play that he is the best chance to win the game?

There will be DOZENS of players take the field who have been previously injured, and could re-injure themselves worse by playing this game. It is a contact sport.

I HONESTLY beleive that this is NOT about Bronco having no confidence in Heaps, but respecting that Riley has earned the right to lead this team.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 2, 2011 11:54 p.m.

CougFaninTX

The doctors have already said Nelson is fully healthy and ready to play. They've given their approval, and I don't think they are STUPID. The coaches feel like he will play better than Heaps, otherwise they wouldn't start him. However, if Nelson, for whatever reason doesn't feel like he can go, he doesn't have to play.

We all know Nelson will play, because we know what kind of competitor he is.

If Jake were in the same situation, would he play or would he opt out. I think he would opt out because he's not a competitor. He has plenty of potential, but until his leadership, heart and competitive spirit match his potential he will continue to carry a clip board.

Again...Stupid is as Stupid does and you just re-enforced that saying...thank you, I'll lay my cards down now...point, match...good night.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 2, 2011 11:00 p.m.

We all know Nelson will play, because we know what kind of competitor he is.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 2, 2011 10:07 p.m.

Veracity: I agree with you, Doman and or Mendenhall should step in and say unless your fully healthy Heaps will be our QB ..

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 2, 2011 8:54 p.m.

When I was younger and had children at home...I would find sometimes my boys wanted to do something STUPID...but I knew better and had to act the role of the parent and say No.

What BYU needs is a mature and wise person to say NO to Riley...but the last few weeks I have really had to scratch my head at what is going on at BYU.

Healthy or not...Heaps should be playing...but then again, to quote a famous movie...Stupid is as Stupid does.