OSU set to introduce Meyer as next football coach

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Not sure how Meyer thinks that OSU will be any different than Florida. If any thing OSU will be even more pressure and demand more time than Florida. If Meyer has heart issues then the best place for him would have been ESPN.

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    Nov. 29, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Ron McBride is a fine man and a good coach. He set the foundation for the U football program to help make it what it is today. Urban then took it where Ron would never be able to do. It was obvious that Ron had peaked, didn't know when to go, and the U was unfortunately forced to nudge him out. Kyle is the coach he is today because of the two years he spent under Urban.

Get over it folks. He left the place better than he found it and that's all you can expect. It was clear he was destined for bigger places.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:46 a.m.

6 million a year???? Has the world gone nuts?

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:55 a.m.

For a coach with an "exceptional" won/loss record at Utah, Urban sure disgruntled a lot of fans even at the school he took to its first BCS bowl.

No doubt a lot of Florida now empathize with those in Utah.

Saying Urban is opportunistic is to say he's a nicer guy than his actions show him to be.

Not unhappy he's gone; Kyle's twice the man Urban is!

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 7:52 a.m.

In spite of what you might think of his personal life, there is no doubt that he is a winner as a coach. Big trouble for the Big 10 as Ohio State will now go back on the winning rampage that has been their history. As a USC fan I'm not looking forward to seeing the dreaded Buckeyes vying for national titles or playing in the Rose Bowl.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Nov. 29, 2011 12:03 a.m.

I thought Coach Whitt showed in January 2009 that he could out-coach Saban.

However, the current question is: Why couldn't he out-coach Jim Embree?

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Apparently, losing to Utah is the kiss of death for head coaches in the PAC 12; head coaches for Arizona and UCLA have both been fired after losing to the Utes.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:49 p.m.

But didn't he say he wanted to stay at Utah? Couldn't we believe him when he said that?

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 6:10 p.m.

I know Ron McBride and Urban is NO Ron McBride.

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Nov. 28, 2011 5:43 p.m.

I love Coach Whit, but there are just some coaches who have a knack for coaching, Urban is one of them. I knew after 5 years, coach Whit can coach, just not at the same level of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, to name a few. As much hatred as some Ute fans have for Urban, at least he was with us long enough for the Utes to be the first non-AQ team to crash the BCS and win! That is something that will never be taken away. Go UTES!

• Wanda Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 4:19 p.m.

I thought the UofU's treatment of Ron McBride, a class act, was deplorable. They really thought they had scored a coup when they got Meyer, who left before the dust settled. I am not a football fan, so initially thought Urban a bit classy versus most athletes/coaches, but I think over time, McBrdie has me a bit about class - hard to define, but he has it, and it has nothing to do with background, looks, or potential (in terms of paying for the fancy new stadium). Urban for all his good looks and coaching skills seems to be somewhat challenged in that regard, especially since his statement when leaving the U was that Florida was a great place to raise his family, yet now he is returning to Ohio. Both he and the U are paying a price for 'flying to close to the sun.' What comes around goes around for the U and Urban Meyer. McBride is still a class act. Skunk cabbage to the U -they are lucky to have Kyle Winningham, who is also a class act

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 28, 2011 3:28 p.m.

This is getting old. Is he sick, does his family need him, is he just playing the field? He's become the Great Manipulator. I used to think he was going to go down in history as the greatest coach ever, now he just makes me gag. Make a commitment Meyer and stick with it, you really can't be trusted anymore.

Depserate teams (OSU) are the only ones who are going to gamble with him.

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Nov. 28, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Two Things:

Deny, deny, deny, HIRED!

Wolverine stickers in urinals.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2011 2:20 p.m.

The words have been taken right out of my mouth by all the comments so far, so all I can do is agree with pretty much all that has been said.

Elk hair caddis great comment.

Urban's a selfish, pompous........

Wonder how he hides his forked tongue?

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Nov. 28, 2011 2:13 p.m.

I'd love to see an interview with his wife and kids standing there to get their take on Urban's priorities.
    He's a good coach, but this guy can look you in the eye and lie about anything.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Glad he got back his health. I guess it is no longer as important to spend time with his family as it is to get back into coaching. He should be there for about 4 years and then onto somewhere else. Some people just have Wanderlust and can't help it.

His salary tells the students at the University that it is 10 times more important to be a football coach than it is to be a University President.

The salaries these coaches receive and the professional athletes demand shows our society is totally out of whack.

I agree with Floridian, MJB, Elk Hair and U-tah. They hit the problem on the head.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Well, well, well...if it isn't Urban Liarer.

The Florida program was headed in the toilet, so he flushed it and ran using the excuse of being with his neglected family and his heart burn (heart burn from knowing he was now playing with recruits at Florida of his own chosing.

Short term success

Long term...gone needs to be with family and that old heart burn has returned.

I wouldn't trust him to do my laundry.

• Vegas Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 28, 2011 1:19 p.m.

Way to go Ohio State. You got a great coach, and a terrible human being.

• huggyface Murray, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 1:15 p.m.

While I think Urban is an exceptional coach - I don't believe a word he says.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 1:04 p.m.

What Stress? Good luck!

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I hope he enjoys trying to rebuild the team. He is the most over-rated coach ever. He just takes the recruits of others and uses them in his own system, then leaves before he has the chance to use his own recruits or takes the best one's with him to his new school.

Nov. 28, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Urban slips in at the right time when all the team can do is go up. He slips out when the time comes to rebuild or the players are becoming unruly. He has timed all of his moves just right and then leaves the team in a hole. Health issues???? Right, spending more time with your family???? Right. Disappearing before Florida hits rock bottom....Priceless.

• floridian navarre, fl
    Nov. 28, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Colleges in this country sure have their priorities upside down. Can you imagine $6 million a year, guaranteed. That equates to about 200 school teachers' salaries a year; probably 100 college professors' salaries a year. And many wonder why some of those 14 million without a job are upset with the 1%. Sorry, but Urban and those coaches at similar level schools are not worth that amount of money.

• justired Fillmore, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:18 a.m.

ho hum

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:10 a.m.

All I've ever heard is what a jerk Meyer is and that the players can't stand him. (I have a little inside information on that.) However, he seems to know how to win championships.

• a bit of reality Shawnee Mission, KS
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:04 a.m.

College football is bizzare. Ohio State is willing to pay $6 million a year for the coach, but the players can't accept a $200 gift. How screwed up.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Urban coaching at "The" Team Down South.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 10:36 a.m.

In Utah Urben Meyer won games while creating a culture of hatred and disrespect that continues to linger to this day.

Ron McBride won games with dignity and respect.

Hatred destroys people. Not suprising to see Urben Meyer burn out after a few years while McBride coaches happily and continously for over 40 years.

Urben Meyer gets the big bucks. Ron Mcbride the bigger life rewards.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2011 10:33 a.m.

After looking at Florida's program, I'm sure Utah is glad he only spent two seasons there.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:58 a.m.

I suspect this deal has been done for a couple of months. OSU was just waiting for the correct time to announce.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Urban is so intense/driven/obsessed/perfected that he eventually wears himself out and everybody around him.

His "schtick" does wear out over time. He's like a good narcotic...potent, effect but short lifespan.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:46 a.m.

For a guy with "Health Problems" and needing more time with his family, he certainly has his priorities on straight! Well, good luck urban, you are closer to home now that you are in Ohio where you started, (Bowling Green). Good hire, good job choice! They will be top notch again in 2 years! GO MICHIGAN!!! I'll always prefer Michigan over the Buckeyes!

• Softball Dad Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:36 a.m.

I wonder what the talk is from the Florida fans. He has never stayed one place very long. Florida was the longest tenure he had. I think his schtick wears out over time.

I wonder how long he stays at the OSU? 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Does Vegas have an over/under line on it?

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Urban seems like a great coach, but the longer he stayed at Florida, the worse that program was becoming. I suspect he loves to coach, but hates all the touchy-feely stuff associated with recruiting and growing young players. Kind of like saying he wants more time with his family, only to not spend more time with his family.

I'd wish you luck, Urban, but there isn't much to appreciate about Ohio State athletics, so I guess I hope you enjoy your stay in Columbus.

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:25 a.m.

@ute alumni. I dont know if your complimenting him, or hacking on him. I would think it would be harder to take another mans recruits, and win NC's with his system. So, I see your comment as a compliment. Good for Urban. I hate Ohio State, but I admire Urban. Smart man.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Ohio State is one of the easiest places to recruit for in the country. They are the only game in town in the 4th-highest rated football state (the other three being Texas, Florida, and California). All other hotbed states have multiple schools jockeying for recruits. Meyer will have no trouble maintaining good recruiting classes. I, for one, wouldn't be too upset if he came here and did what he did at Florida--win us a couple national titles and retire.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:06 a.m.

glad he was able to spend more time with the family for a year. incredible. i hope ohio state has signed some good recruits because meyer has yet to win anthing with his own recruits. he'll be gone in 4 years.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT