NBA owners, players reach tentative deal to end lockout

• cthp522 CORDOVA, TN
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:33 a.m.

If You don't care about the NBA one way or another. Why are you posting comments on this site?.

I like watching NBA games,and if you are just finding out that its about Money, than you are playing Catch-up. NFL, MLB, Sockers, Boxing, Baseball,etc, so everything you watch or buy is all about "MONEY".

• zabivka Orem, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 11:31 p.m.

Wait, so does this mean Enes Kanter will actually have to play organized basketball? Does he remember how???

• President Joker Washington, DC
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:40 p.m.

What a bunch of jealous babies. I bet half of you guys will be to a jazz game before the year is out. You will all come crawling back.

• bkcharles Snowflake, AZ
    Nov. 26, 2011 2:58 p.m.

I am sorry for those that are not spoiled and that depend upon the NBA for their livelihood, but I really don't care very much at all. I know that it would also indirectly affect the college game if the NBA were to fall apart. But the elite players and owners are so out of touch with their fans that they don't seem to realize that more and more people are growing tired of the superegos and selfish, self-centered actions of many of the players.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 1:50 p.m.

I don't care about the NBA,

But YAY! This is awesome,

But I don't care,

Sincerely, Middle-Class Fan

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:47 p.m.

I think it is hilarious how many people are getting on these messaging boards and swearing that they don't care and wont watch NBA games this year. That would be like calling up your ex girlfriend just to tell her that you don't miss her and don't think about her anymore.

The fact is this deal is great for the Jazz and come February, nobody will care about this lockout.

• pate123 willard, ut
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:46 p.m.

There is nothing new here folk's. you've been a supporter of the nba over the last decade or even longer, you know that 15-20 million dollar contracts, expensive tickets, and outragous concessions are the norm and all of you people posting that you won't be back as a fans will be back because has changed other than the word lockout. Many of you will be back in support I guarantee. As a jazz fan, I can honestly say I'm looking forward too the possibly of more parity with the addition of the cap.

• RSL1 Washington, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Players striking for higher ticket prices

Will the fans now go on strike? I for one have gone from a fan going to games to a casual fan who will watch an occasional game.

• pate123 willard, ut
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Nothing is different here folk's. If you've supported the league up until now, you will be a supporter again. Large, expensive contracts have been around for at least a decade maybe longer and you've managed too support this enterprise one way or another. YOU"LL BE BACK soon I guarantee!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Nov. 26, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Utah needs another pro sports team. Someday it could happen.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Thank goodness. I'm so glad I won't have to watch college basketball anymore.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I understand the lockout. Owners in small markets are making no profit. Last time I checked one of the reasons I go to work is to make a living. Owners had to do this- and it's not over.

My biggest complaint if that the NBA is an inferior product for the money paid to them. Except for the playoffs, the other 82 games are rarely played with heart. I'm not sold to start watching for something that costs so much to watch and you get so little in return.

• Big Pappy west jordan, utah
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:51 a.m.

It's about time!!!

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I do know for sure who doesn't want the Jazz to play this season, my wife. After listening to me yesterday yell and cuss at the TV watching the Utes play i don't blame her

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:27 a.m.

I know one person who is mad they might play, my wife. After hearing me yell at the tv watching the Utes yesterday,i dont blame her.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:20 a.m.

To all of the people that say "who cares" or "nobody cares" - clearly you cared enough to not only read the article, but then to take the time to comment?? So when the season starts all 10 of you will not be watching the NBA, great I don't think they will miss you.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:10 a.m.

After the lions and christians settled their labor dispute, the Romans eagerly returned to the arena...

• FreeThinker Magna, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I will not lie, I am glad that I (for health reasons) have distanced myself from truly caring about how a professional sports team does. I do not need the ups and downs that are associated with whether or not my team(s) are doing well or doing poorly. It has allowed me to free myself from the emotional bondage that I believe comes along with being fanatical to any one team. Do not mistake my comments, however. I enjoy seeing good plays done by men and women blessed with athletic talents. The greed, however, exhibited by many people in the entertainment industry, is not enjoyable.

• David King Layton, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I'm surprised at the number of "I don't care" comments. To be consistent you should be posting "I don't care" on every article throughout this newspaper for which you do not have an interest. To borrow a phrase, some can leave NBA basketball, but just can't leave it alone. Just as the lockout hurt the ushers, custodians, and restaurants that depend on the Jazz for business, a boycott would negatively affect these individuals who are in no way spoiled or greedy. Let's think about the unintended consequences of a boycott, and who would suffer the most.

• cedar Holladay, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:02 a.m.

Sure hope this comes through. been a long month of just watching fox news. need to get excited to see how the new rookies do. the negitive people didn't watch the game anyway. always hope we can win it all in a few years and we are lucky to have a major league team here. thanks millers helps get through the long nights to have somthing to watch.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:01 a.m.

I have no problem if some fans want to go back and watch games and I have no problem if they decide to bag it. But Gordon over Jimmer you have it wrong because this former Jazz fan is finished giving my money to support the NBA. And I have wasted A LOT of time and money on the Jazz so if that makes me a fair weathered fan......oh well.

• HugMe Logan, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:41 a.m.

I am a fan of basketball and I am a fan of the Jazz, but this lockout displayed greed in its finest form. From the players to the agents to the owners, they all (ok most) seem to have lost touch with reality. I wished all fans would now boycott as many games as they have missed (close to two months by the time Christmas Day games start).

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:41 a.m.

NB(oring)A players + owners reaching a deal = Fans ( what few are left ) paying more $$ to go to games and watch the most inferior sports product available. NB(oring)A fans would get more entertainment value if they burned their money.

• Gordon over Jimmer CORONA, CA
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:40 a.m.

All you fair weathers can say whatever you want. But as soon as the Jazz start winning again you'll all come crawling back.

• Tyler Holladay, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:30 a.m.

Most of the haters' posts make me laugh. If you don't like the NBA now, you never did before.

I for one am so happy to be able to watch some quality basketball as opposed to college ball. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a game now and then, but their ability is just not there. The UConn Butler championship game showed me that.

I don't feel like I was mistreated, they saved the season. Sure, they almost ruined it too, but people don't seem to get that this is a business. There have to be business decisions. Stuff like this happens. It makes everyone upset, but once the dust settles I can watch basketball again.

• hoghead sandy, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:25 a.m.

now we can all watch tatted out thugs who can barely live on 5 million a year all try an move to LA, CHI, NY or MIA. The thing I was most thankful for this Thanksgiving was not having to watch Carlos BOOzer play one single game. (Although, I think he pulled a hamstring getting the turkey out of the oven-out 5-6 weeks.) I solemnly swear to not watch one single NBA game this year.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Enes Kanter just might be the happiest man on Earth right now.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Are they really trying to ruin Christmas for people?

• JNA Layton, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:50 a.m.

I hope the owners didn't give anything to these crybaby millionaire players, I am not going to watch anymore anyway. But I expect as usual, fans will be stupid and forget how they were treated and fill the arena's anyway

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:50 a.m.

I'm done with watching any NBA teams.

The owners and the players had no regard for those who run the concessions and provide services.

Those are the ones who have been hurt by this fiasco.

As fans and former fans, there should be a boycott for the rest the season.

• ChiefSportsFan Denver, CO
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:39 a.m.

Ditto to RinAZ's "Who cares" . . .

The NBA is one of the least entertaining sports on television.

Give me the college game any day.

• lwc61 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:29 a.m.

Okay, now let the fans boycott the NBA! The two sides (especially the players) have demonstrated where their loyalties are (themselves).

The owners carry the risks and are entitled to at least have a chance of making a profit, even in the small markets. The players could not care less for the overall health of the league. The inmates have been running the asylum for too long, and only care about what's in it for them in the short term.

I am a Jazz fan, but not an NBA fan anymore. I haven't been for years. I cannot stomach watching games when the Jazz are not involved. Maybe this is step one of leaving the whole thing behind, I hope not.

This whole thing about "Merry Christmas" to the fans because we are back makes me want to vomit. If they really cared about the fans it would have never gone this far.

To the NBA, get our attention by providing lots of Merry Christmases to the poor and needy of our communities now, or your words are nothing more than the same old self promoting rhetoric...

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:15 a.m.

I hope the owners didn't give in to the players; if the players had it their way, small market teams would be doomed and the most teams in the NBA would become farm teams for the big markets. I'd rather lose a season then see a system that favors big market teams.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:10 a.m.

It's Jimmer Time!

• uncommonsense CENTERVILLE, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 6:22 a.m.

Oh goody, After watching the greed of these millionaires it makes the pepper spraying on Black Friday seem pale by comparison. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I really don't care if they've reached an agreement. Come Dec 25th and on, I'll be watching something else.

• md Cache, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 6:02 a.m.

I hope the owners didn't give up too much. I want the Jazz to be competitive. No more Miami Heat debacles, please.

• RinAZ Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:01 a.m.

Who cares?

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 4:11 a.m.

This announcement get's my emotions runnin' high (plenty of sarcasm).