Sports

BYU football: Jake Heaps eager to start on Saturday

Comments

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Soon the question will be answered, "Did Jake Heaps improve because of his time on the bench?" Will he show improved poise or will this game be a lot closer than it should be because of mistakes he makes?

Personally I believe that the game will not be a blowout because Heaps will throw at least one interception and get rattled in the pocket. If Riley Nelson was starting, it wouldn't even be close. However, the Cougars will still win, most likely by at least 10 points.

• Victory Formation Eureka, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 2:01 p.m.

There You Go Again,

I guess the Independence idea was worse than we all suspected. They play repeat teams.

EGAD!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 10:54 a.m.

@One of Vai's Cousins

"...I also hope Jake plays very well. It will be interesting to see what happens in the bowl game if Jake plays extremely well against SJSU and Hawaii...".

Didn't the Cougars already play SJSU?

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 7:51 a.m.

Steve Young could not play in the NFL for the first few years he began his pro career and Heaps is having a problem getting traction, however he has the wherewithal to lead the team. He will be the person who will win for the Cougars despite what others may say about him.

When Nelson played TCU he could not throw one thing downfield. Each lame duck he threw up was up for grabs. He is no doubt a scrambler but Heaps has the abilities that Nelson is missing. I think Bronco may have missed the boat when he says Nelson will continue to start when he returns.

• Ogdenite Lincoln, NE
    Nov. 18, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Beware BYU. New Mexico State is a mighty foe. Note the sarcasm here.

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    Nov. 18, 2011 7:12 a.m.

I also hope Jake plays very well. It will be interesting to see what happens in the bowl game if Jake plays extremely well against SJSU and Hawaii. Do you just hand the ball back to Riley and sit Jake the whole bowl game?

Anyone who knows football knows Jake has one of the best pure throwing arms that BYU has seen. Can he improve in some other important areas? Sure - and maybe this experience will help him do just that.

Remember John Walsh? Great arm but little else. I think Jake will develop the other skills he needs whether it is through a redshirt season or just through continued maturity the remainder of this season and spring/summer ball.

Riley Nelson is tough and athletic. But his arm is mediocre at best. If Jake could acquire even part of Nelson's toughness, grit and leadership he would be an NFL player. But for now he is still just another John Walsh. I hope we see that starting to change Saturday.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Nov. 18, 2011 5:20 a.m.

Good luck Heaps, I'm placing all my bets on you this weekend in hopes that you beat another PEE WEE Football Team!!!

Has the Cougars committed to that weak conference out East yet?

• R.A.W St George, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2011 1:09 a.m.

The cheap shots at Jake Heaps need to stop.

He started the season against some really tough competition, the first 4 games were not impressive at all offensively, there was 0 running game, so of course the pressure was on Jake's "golden arm". This was not Jake's fault. BYU coaches were simply out-coached (one of the perks in having a first year Offensive Coordinator). I blame Doman and his play-calling for the loses, not Jake.

BYU rushed for 270yds in the first 4 games combined. Including only 43yds in the loss to Texas and a pathetic 11yds in the loss to Utah.
    Once again, this is not Jake's fault.

I have enjoyed watching Riley play, he is a great leader and a fierce competitor, but he has reached his ceiling of potential as a QB at BYU.

Jake is young and has a lot of maturing to do, but I think the time he has spent on the bench will be extremely beneficial to him. And I believe we will see a different Jake now that he gets a second chance. I hope he makes the most of it.

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:37 p.m.

I'm excited to Heaps to get playing time again, he's a great talent, give him more time, he's still very young. I think time away from starting has only helped him. I think he'll do well this week. I haven't given up on him yet. He's twice as talented and physically gifted; everyone progresses different, don't give up on him yet.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:22 p.m.

Just enjoy the Monday night (Saturday)game and you won't know how many people will already be asleep!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Unless we can read Jake's thoughts, I don't think attempts to closely interpret a statement will be productive. I don't take his comment that he is feeling comfortable as arrogance. I want a quarterback who feels comfortable - comfortable in making his reads, comfortable standing in the pocket, comfortable making the throws.

How's a guy supposed to satisfy everyone? Earlier in the season people slammed him for his deer-in-the-headlights demeanor, now they criticize him feeling comfortable.

I frankly don't know how he will play Saturday, although with NMSU on the defense, he should do well. I think Riley has shown more leadership, but to a certain degree, a person can learn leadership skills. We may well need Jake to be a strong leader in the future. A lot of people yapping about his short-comings doesn't seem like an effective way to foster these skills. Most of us have no idea what is on his mind really, or what he has been doing with his thoughts over the past few weeks.

I would hate dealing with people who refuse to believe that I might be able to improve.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Good luck dude.

• hrs4 Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:26 p.m.

I am 99.9% sure that Heaps will transfer the day after the bowl game. He has been treated horribly by the coaches and fans. Bronco allowed Doman to blame Heaps for Doman's mistakes. It will be sad to see Jake go because of an inexperienced OC.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 17, 2011 9:43 p.m.

I want to believe that Heaps is all he was hyped up to be. Maybe if he wasn't so arrogant, our expectations wouldn't be so high. Even in this article, I'm put off by the quote "I feel really comfortable with where I'm at right now." Why not say, "I've really been working hard and hopefully I'll be more productive than I was the last time I started."

If he says he's comfortable with where he's at right now, I'm expecting 300+ yards of passing with 5 TD's and 1 INT or less.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 9:24 p.m.

The 2 quarterback system works well for the best team in the country. one passer one rusher. Why doesnt byu give it a shot too? Teams would have to prepare for both riley and jake. Jake has a good arm (sometimes too good) and riley can play his smash mouth football

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 9:08 p.m.

I wonder if Heaps can "carry" the team to a victory against new Mexico state? Will need a huge game out of Heaps.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 9:03 p.m.

BlueCoug | 3:28 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011
    Orem, UT,

A "great quarterback" shouldn't be needing to fight for a starting spot (and might I add not even starting for the last few games).

Heaps is eager to play because he hasn't. Obvious. He got a scholarship to come PLAY quarterback. Wow, he can only play because Riley went out injured. This is a no brainer, of course he is eager.

I can only hope he does well, but it will not earn his starting spot back. The team was more excited to play at his command and the fans (the majority, anyway), cheered louder when Riley came on the field than they did with Heaps.

Jake Heaps is a bust. I hope he has fun playing powder puff football teams in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes left when Riley is back.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Robert | 4:09 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011
    Rexburg, ID

Wrong!

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 6:07 p.m.

Broom Hockey Champ

"Even if he performs well, it won't be much in terms of making a statement. I don't think NMSU will provide much resistance".

Funny how when Riley went through that tuff part of BYU's scheduel, he was the next great thing in D1 football.

Jake would have been so much better off today if he would have been in there all this time.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 5:24 p.m.

The Top Five list of reasons why Heaps is eager to start this Saturday:

#5. "I can't find any videos of me on YouTube anymore!"
    #4. "My bionic arm is getting a little rusty."
    #3. "My wife is tired of me moping around the house all the time."
    #2. "If I don't play well, Bronco said he may bring in Jimmer at QB."
    #1. "It will be just like playing in High School again."

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 17, 2011 5:03 p.m.

All I saw earlier this season, was the team was not run very well by young Mr. Heaps. Riley came in and LED the team as the QB.

I am not anti-Heaps. I just hope he has matured and learned from Riley what it takes to lead a team rather than run a scrimmage.

If Jake has grown, he has the skills needed to be great. If he is still too worried about getting hit and the impact that might have on his PRO career then it will be very disappointing.

Go Cougars! Show us Jake!!!!!

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:57 p.m.

"I hope Heaps can go out there Saturday and make some heads turn."

Even if he performs well, it won't be much in terms of making a statement. I don't think NMSU will provide much resistance.

Wiley -

Yes, when the stakes are higher.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:53 p.m.

BlueCoug,

You are one of many who still think Jake Hypes is a god.

Let me refresh your memory.

He is terrible. He only won last game decently because it was ummm.... that one football team in Idaho.
    Any QB could throw a ball around those guys.
    Yet when Hypes plays a decent team he looks just plain bad.

I really wonder why people are so set on this kid still. 2 seasons to prove he is somebody, but hasn't even started. Nelson is more of a QB than Hypes will ever be. If you compare him to the great QB's at BYU, it should not be that hard to see.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Heaps said:

"I feel really comfortable with where I'm at right now"

Look - with all due respect, no one including Heaps should make a statement like this. It's like the musician who advertises how good he is just as he is entering the stage. Sorry - just shut your mouth and SHOW the folks how good you are by your performance.

Having said that - I hope Heaps can go out there Saturday and make some heads turn.

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:47 p.m.

Broom... did you really say "when the stakes are much higher?" You might want to check that bowl schedule again.

• the longview North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:40 p.m.

BYU is very lucky to have such a highly talented back-up quarterback when Nelson goes down. Probably the best thing to do is to not redshirt him next year to have the great insurance if Nelson has to sit out a game or two.

Go Cougs!

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Despite not really liking Heaps and advocating for Nelson to be the QB before the season began, I am a proponent of letting Heaps play in the next game or two without giving any thought to injecting Nelson back into the game. My reasoning is that I want Nelson fresh for the bowl game when the stakes are much higher.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:23 p.m.

The test for Heaps will be Hawaii. They will come after him. It will be a good measuring stick. I hope he does well.

• Robert Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Beware: Heaps is just as bad now as he was in September. He could lose this game for the Cougars, even against New Mexico State.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Jake just needs to calm down and stay within the confines of the offense. No turn overs. Jake has the arm to log alot of yards in the air - his problem early in the season was accuracy. I think if he has a good first half he will rack up the yards in the second half. It will be nice to see BYU actually throwing the ball again.

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Even though its against NMSU I'm eager to see him start. Hope he does well! Goodluck Jake!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:35 p.m.

Let's be honest. At least last year, Jake excelled against the "lack luster" part of the schedule. No doubt he'll do the same against New Mexico State and Hawaii. Good luck, Jake. I think these games will be critical to determine whether he'll stay or transfer. This will still be Riley's team in the bowl game and next year.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:29 p.m.

I predict this will be Jake's big coming out party, he'll dominate NMSU and will once again gain the love and trust of his teammates, coaches, and fans and will be right back on track to the national championship we all know is coming. Write it down, Jake is BACK!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:28 p.m.

I was in the end zone, directly behind the goal post to watch Manumaleuna's blocked FG, that was a fun moment.

Not quite as much fun as sitting in the middle of the Crimson Club to see Beck scrambling for what seemed like forever before finding Harline all alone in the end zone.

And none of those will ever compare to sitting in the end zone at the top of Jack Murphy Stadium watching Clay Brown catch Jim McMahon's hail Mary pass.

But they were all great moments in BYU lore.

Glad to see that Jake is eager to be starting on Saturday. He's going to be another great BYU quarterback by the time he finishes his career at BYU.