Faith

Herman Cain as Moses? Presidential candidates feel divinely influenced to run

Comments

• als Atheist Provo, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Great point.

The existence of a "Holy Ghost" revealing itself to mankind would be an undoubted miracle.

Nothing is esteemed a miracle that happens in the common course of nature. That a man, seemingly in good health, should suddenly die is not miraculous because it is observed to happen not infrequently.

But it IS a miracle that a dead man should suddenly come to life because that has never been observed by any person.

There must be a constellation of uniform natural observation and experience against which a "miracle" is identified and defined. When we say "prove it", we mean for the claimant to appeal to that constellation of uniform natural observed/observable experiences and events.

If anyone tells us he saw a dead man rise to life, we must immediately consider whether it be more probable/less miraculous that this person is trying to deceive us, or has themselves been deceived, or if the "miracle" really happened.

We must weigh the one "miracle" against the other, and always reject the more "far out" miracle. If the falsehood of his testimony would be more miraculous than the event he relates, then, and only then, should he be believed.

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    Nov. 18, 2011 8:38 a.m.

To The Atheist,

I like to think that God exists although I do support a position that I think you have made in your comments. That is that we would be so much better off just taking the initiative to ACT and do good simply for the sake of acting and doing good - whether or not God does or does not exist.

I struggle with the fact that religious individuals become so worried about what they believe or what they think God does or does not want them to do. We can become paralyzed over the absolute mundane, trivial and absolutely inconsequential details imposed by most religions. If God does exist - he or she will likely just want to know that we did the best to be good, loving, charitable people during our time on this earth. He or she will likely care less what we believed or whether or not we were able to check the behavioral/worthiness boxes imposed by religion.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 6:20 a.m.

DSB,

Saying the world would not exist without God is complete and absolute question-begging.

The comparison is a valid one, and reveals that religion makes NO DIFFERENCE.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:18 p.m.

10CC - You might want to re-read the story of King David. God called him as a very young man, probably just as a boy - not after he'd done the bad stuff to which you refer. Also, he didn't pray hard to be selected as the King or to be chosen as God's mouthpiece. Quite frankly, there are no parallels at all when comparing David and Herman Cain.

I don't think you can find a single Biblical prophet who pleaded with God to have the calling. I'm sticking with hubris for now, but I'll be the first to humbly acknowledge my error if he indeed turns out to be the second coming of Moses, or even David.

@The Atheist, what kind of ridiculously impossible comparison are you asking us to make? Whether God exists, or not, how could anyone compare a world with Him and without Him? I think believers would counter the world simply would not exist without God. What world would atheists propose as the one to compare this supposedly godless one to, since you'd only be taking a world we already believe God created, and somehow making it better without an understanding of Gods' purposes?

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 7:18 p.m.

The Atheist - I wasn't trying to "prove" anything to you, as I know it cannot be done, except to oneself. No one can prove that God does NOT exist, even to oneself. You can only choose to believe, and to not believe, whatever fits your personal bias or illusory correlation as a non-believer. A very true quote from City of Angels - "Some things are true whether you believe them or not." I'll concede that some things are also not true, no matter how hard one might believe them.

I can choose to believe what I have experienced, or attempt to delude myself into disbelieving what was very real. No "confirmation bias" or "illusory correlation" can explain it away, and you have no idea what I've experienced. Furthermore, I don't need your approval and I don't need to cast sacred experiences before a newspaper comment board to be mocked.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 7:07 p.m.

procuradorfiscal,

"He thanks you and loves you, just the same."

Who? Big Foot? Santa?

And, of course, with his "thanks and love" for all I do, plus a token, I might just be able to get on the subway...

You demonstrate my point. My life WITH god's "thanks and love" is NO DIFFERENT than my life WITHOUT god's "thanks and love".

Stand a universe WITHOUT a god side by side with a universe WITH a god, and I defy any of you to tell which is which.

You claim there is a god, but there is evil in the world, "natural disasters" (that are called "acts of god"), injustice, horror, etc. I hold my godless world next to the one you claim, and guess what? They look the same!

Oh, but there is one difference. Because I am not waiting around for a god to make things right, I take action and don't waste my time "praying for" people (and using that as an excuse to do nothing, but to feel righteous about myself).

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 6:40 p.m.

Re: " I "go for" doing worthy things all the time, and I take risks to do praiseworthy things all the time... and I didn't need a god involved in the process at all."

He thanks you and loves you, just the same.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 6:39 p.m.

LetsDebate,

I appreciate your reply. Thank you.

My conscience is not "god-given". That is question-begging on stilts.

As for the people who may or may not have been "inspired NOT to run", that demonstrates nothing. I can decide NOT to run using my own wits just as easily as I can decide TO run using my own wits.

No god is necessary either way.

You say "Many of us have real spiritual experiences that are indeed different than praying to an old shoe, and it's quite a "real, practical difference" for us."

For instance?

I suggest you investigate a few concepts:

1. I have listened to LDS "testimonies" for decades, and I have listened to the explanations and applications of D&C 9:7-9 repeatedly. Based on this, every Mormon I know believes the only thing the Holy Ghost really does is "confirm" what you already figured out yourselves by "studying it out".

2. Look up "confirmation bias" and "illusory correlation" and consider what they suggest about your claims.

3. The LDS doctrine of "free agency", if taken seriously, becomes practically identical to forms of Deism: we are effectively and essentially "on our own".

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Nov. 17, 2011 5:05 p.m.

LetsDebate:

How does one even begin to assert "how God works"???

Can you demonstrate even the existence of God enough to satisfy the basic requirement of the even more daunting argument as to how he thinks and operates? We can contrive a whole host of explanations for why things happen if God functions as a variable in our equation.

Still the point is not about God so much, but how people and politicians use God for self-aggrandizement parading as humility, and why do we buy into it. Certainly if God has a logical plan he is not in the business of sending mixed signals. Yet, here we are giving legitimacy to all the various religious impluses that are claimed, ignoring how they all collide against each other and reason.

To counter you will say, "we don't understand God's purposes", "mabey it is for that persons growth". However, conveniently this is a response we offer when the outcome defies logic in the context of God inspired the action. And of course who can challenge that right? Not because the argument is so compelling, but because the entire rational depends on a being and world that may or may not exist.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:46 p.m.

DSB:

Actually, you can't really attribute Cain's remarks to being hubris, because we don't really know if the Lord has selected him to be a kind of modern day biblical character or not. As for those who skoff at this notion, King David did some pretty bad things, but God still selected him to play a pivotal role in his time.

We just don't know.

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Among all of them none of them are an Issue.

I would like to see Condie Rice run. Now that would be an issue.

Everyone is saying I am the Winner and the others should quit now. We still have almost a year to go. We need two strong people to run for President. Against Obama and whom ever. I am sick of the VP being a week missing link.

JFK on the Basis of his faith alone, should not have beaten Richard Nixon.

I want Abortion Stopped and Sunday Back. Then Border protection, jobs, education, Strong armed services.

As in the Time Article, I do not want to see a strong Military Caste System, I want to see 2years for America, Service, Work, Something, Everyone. A Mission might evan count.

I am sick of no launch and just drifting with No Direction.

I have always thought that Most People Male and Female should have Basic Training just to be able to defend America. Perhaps a slightly less intense version of Basic.

Outs might be College 3.0 or above, motherhood,and mental stability.

I believe most Handicapped people can serve. Low Visioned also but not blind.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:15 p.m.

To The Atheist - I think you make a very logical point. However, we really don't know how many people considered running for President, prayed about it, and were inspired NOT to run. Also, many of us believe that we should be "anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will," outside of constantly seeking God's approval for every good thing we do. In that regard, good for you for living a good life. Many of us believe you're following a God-given conscience to be a productive and positive member of the human race.

There are many other decisions of a private and heart-wrenching nature, that believers take to God for inspiration, and often the answer is quite unexpected, and following the inspiration leads to unanticipated blessings. Many of us have real spiritual experiences that are indeed different than praying to an old shoe, and it's quite a "real, practical difference" for us.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I guess I have become a cynic. But anytime somebody who is running for office wrap himself or herself with the flag or religion, my defenses go up.

Jesus taught us to pray in secret and not to show everybody that we are praying.
    All these candidates making sure we hear how devoted they are rest credibility to their spirituality.

The funny thing is they will win or lose. Not based on their ability to pray but on their ability to lead.

Mr. Huntsman and Mr. Romney to a lesser degree have been more discreet in appealing to our emotions. For that I commend them.

At the end if I believe that God protects and respect our free agency, I should also believe that he will avoid anything that can interfere with our thinking and our democratic process.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:52 p.m.

To Mormoncowboy at 1:46,

Pagan was obviously saying that if anybody claimed God wanted them to run for President, they would either have to win, or be humiliated and explain why they lost, because obviously God's candidate would win.

Some things are so obviously not "how God works" as DSB said, that it doesn't take a PhD in theology to say it. If you think that's how God works, then you and Pagan have a nice day. I don't believe it.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:44 p.m.

"Father in Heaven... approves if they want to go for something worthy... God is pleased whenever somebody takes a risk to do something praiseworthy."

Fascinating. I "go for" doing worthy things all the time, and I take risks to do praiseworthy things all the time... and I didn't need a god involved in the process at all.

What real, practical difference does your god make if his answer is "If that is what you want to do, go for it"? I can get that kind of an "answer" by praying to an old shoe. In fact, I can get that kind of an "answer" from not praying at all. I do it all the time!

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:30 p.m.

The Father in Heaven I believe in loves his children and approves if they want to go for something worthy, which is certainly true of running for president. I have no doubt that God is pleased whenever somebody takes a risk to do something praiseworthy. Let them run and may the best one win.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:22 p.m.

So, neither Pagan nor Kami can address my comment that God may have numerous reasons to approve someone's desire to run for office, without ultimately endorsing that candidate to win.

Pagan, where was the hubris with anyone's story but Cain's? Did Bachman, Perry, or anyone else compare themselves with Moses? Is it hubris to say one appeals to God on important decisions, then follows the inspiration? Did any of them say God called them to be President, or merely to put their hats in the ring?

Yes, I think to mock them and the Republican Party for seeking personal inspiration over important decisions demonstrates extreme arrogance and a lack of understanding about God. Maybe God inspired them, and maybe He didn't and they're just pandering. You don't know, and I don't know.

So far, only Cain has compared himself to a Biblical character of epic proportions. And, I personally like Cain a lot, but that's clearly hubris, as is claiming to know that God has not inspired another person. Pagan, I don't understand the accusation of a double standard, but I realize you feel that way every time someone disagrees with you.

Kami - please read Matthew 23:23-39.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:12 p.m.

'I read most of Pagan's posts -- he doesn't get in people's faces like so many other posters do when they post back to him. Why do you think that is?' - Kami | 1:31 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011

Thank you.

Regardless of anything going foward.

I found your post pleasent, and enjoyable to read.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Herman Cain as Moses, parting the red-see (I told you so) comming to DVD real soon, watch for it. Then remember, Cain's only real foreign policy experience is from when he ran the National Restaurant Association and had to deal with the manager from the International House of Pancakes.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Nov. 17, 2011 1:46 p.m.

"That's only the interpretation of a faithless unbeliever with no concept whatsoever of how God works."

Best quote of the day DSB - please tell me then really "how God [actually] works". You could start by explaining clearly how you know this...in fact, I'd settle for just that!

When confronted with the obvious contradictions in the assertion that each of these candidates were directed by God to run, we offer each of these candidates with the undeserved benefit of the doubt that they are truly "humble" as opposed to just trying to appear so. The truth is, they are each running because they either want the job, or because they believe that will do good at it, and probably a mixture of both. Not because they had a "burning bush" experience. First clue, why do we always insist on borrowing Moses's metaphors? Because we/they lack any actual experiences from which to derive our own. Still we insist first on having faith, second on respecting the contradictory claims of others with the ineffectual dodge uttered by Kami and implied by DSB - "God works in mysterious ways". There, it's a mystery, so now we don't have to be accountable for it!

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2011 1:31 p.m.

DSB | 12:05 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011
    Cedar Hills, UT
    "@Pagan - just because someone prays and gets confirmation they should run for office, does not imply that God supports them to ultimate victory. That's only the interpretation of a faithless unbeliever with no concept whatsoever of how God works."

DSB, I think you should lighten up. If I was a faithless unbeliever your harsh tone and other posts like it would do nothing whatsoever to encourage me to question my beliefs or the lack thereof. Do you see any examples at all in the scriptures of Christ treating unbelievers this way. I read most of Pagan's posts -- he doesn't get in people's faces like so many other posters do when they post back to him. Why do you think that is?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 1:26 p.m.

'We don't always know the reasons behind His will for us...' - Kami | 12:03 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011

But this article disputes that claim.

How can a person claim 'devine influence'...AND claim they don't know 'exactly' what God wants?

This, is the contradiction of faith. And another reason why those like Harold Camping should stick to abstract claims.

Because when people take them to TASK over specific predictions of devine influence...

they are proven, lacking.

'@Pagan - just because someone prays and gets confirmation they should run for office, does not imply that God supports them to ultimate victory.' - DSB | 12:05 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011

If they cannot win with the support from the almighty...

then the devine wants them, to loose.

'That's only the interpretation of a faithless unbeliever...' - Same

The unbeliever then, should not CARE.

It is those who are so prideful they claim to speak directly with the devine, that PLACE themselves on this pedistal.

The unbeliever, is simply keeping track.

Also, I enjoy how you claim I should not claim to know Gods will...

then, claim Cain is hubris, but NOT anyone else.

There were plenty of examples.

The Double. Standard. continues.

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    Nov. 17, 2011 1:20 p.m.

This is not surprising at all. This is what has to be said to be the Republican nominee. If that nominee is smart, he or she will then back off the God talk in order to win the general election which is dominated much more by practical independents and moderates who have little interest in what you think God did or didn't tell you to do.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Nov. 17, 2011 1:11 p.m.

well then,

I guess God wanted Obama to win last time.

Or, is there another interpretation.

The Religious can always find a way to justify history to support their view.

Oftentimes, the logic is flawed, but it is always humorous

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 12:27 p.m.

In my opinion, anyone who says God favors one political party over the other has probably run out of ideas in the debate over the topic at hand, has little or no capacity for understanding opposing political philosophies, and is ankle-deep in the ocean of knowing God.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 17, 2011 12:19 p.m.

I think we all know what Cain was praying for: Please don't let me get caught!

@10CC: Is that why God is having all the GOP candidates bash each other?

• IMAN Marlborough, MA
    Nov. 17, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Devine inspiration

Hopefully

Humbled in defeat

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Win or lose, these candidates may experience a very personal refinement of spirit and character through the process. Win or lose, they may provide valuable ideas to the debate and help prepare the eventual winner for better service. Win or lose, they might be a good example to others.

You have no idea why God might approve a person to run, so please don't presume to tell them whether they've had a spiritual confirmation of their decisions.

And, who said that people running on the Democratic ticket haven't also received a spiritual confirmation of their decision after personal consideration and prayer? Who suggested that only the GOP candidates are backed by God? Again, just presumptions of the spiritually ignorant.

That being said, I was quite amused by Cain's begging of God for the opportunity, then feigning surprise and humility by the "call," followed directly by assuming the mantle of Moses. Wow - I must admit the possibility of hubris.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Pagan | 11:28 a.m. Nov. 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "So, I can do anything I want because I think 'God' told me to?
    What about each other? Is God wanting them ALL to be President? Or would even this be an admission that maybe, sorta, kinda, not really God favored ONE person to be President?"

Pagan -- From my perspective, it could be God's will for all of them to run, but possibly not to win. We don't always know the reasons behind His will for us, but wherever that path takes us there is likely something for us to learn. I would disagree with the notion that out of the blue God tells a bunch of people to run for President. To the contrary, the decision would more likely have come from thoughtful prayer and a confirmation from God that yes, that is the path for you at the present time. This is where faith comes in. You may not know the reason why, but if you have faith you are willing to follow His will for you.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:57 a.m.

I would think any religious person would spend some time in prayer before making such a decision. No one should be mocked for seeking guidance and making a decision they genuinely believe was the correct one.

I suspect that a lot of the time the answer would be -- if that's what you want to do, go for it.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:45 a.m.

'Like him or not, when was the last time Mitt said anything about religion?' - Macfarren | 11:20 a.m. Nov. 17, 2011

*'Romney: God wants US to lead, not follow' - By Steve Peoples - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/07/11
    He says God did not create America to be a nation of followers.

Or, when Mitt Romney is against gay marriage....after he supported rights for LGBT persons.

*'Mitt Romney pledges opposition to gay marriage' - CBS News - 08/04/11
    'It's also notable because Romney was not always such a strong opponent of gay rights. In 1994, he sent a letter to a gay Republican group saying he would be a stronger advocate for gay rights...'

But this is closer to when Mitt Romney wanted to invade Iran.

*'GOP contenders argue on Iran' - By Kasie Hunt - AP - Published by DSNews - 11/12/11
    "If we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will have a nuclear weapon. And if you elect Mitt Romney, Iran will not have a nuclear weapon," vowed the former Massachusetts governor.'

The 'Nuclear Weapsons' lie...

again.

"The Iraqi regime . . . possesses and produces (sic) weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons.' - George W. Bush - Ohio Speech 10/7/2002

• Morgan_Freeman's_Voice Provo, Zion
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:40 a.m.

God should have chosen a better bunch of candidates than these clowns. He must have a sense of humor.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Evidently the Lord is trying to educate the American population on the dearth of competency and solutions offered by the GOP.

I'm listening to the Lord.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Re: "If we are to take this article seriously we could conclude that God favors the Republicans."

Well, given intractable, unalterable Democrat positions on the wrong side of pretty much EVERY moral issue, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that God MAY favor more Republicans than Democrats.

Even the Gingrich and Cain wandering eye issues are illustrative. Ted Kennedy, the lion of the Democrat Party and Chris Dodd, one of its most powerful power brokers, even post-Congress, viciously harass a very young Carrie Fischer, and it's just a cute little back story that will helps sell books. And, no Democrat even dares remember that there's a bridge in Chappaquidick.

Yet, political careers of Gingrich and Cain have both been irreparably damaged -- neither will ultimately be nominated -- by allegations of sexual impropriety.

You see, the Nation has come to EXPECT what would otherwise be shocking misconduct from godless liberals. It no longer shocks. Only Republicans can be portrayed as evil when they engage in misconduct that is all too common among Democrats, liberals, socialists, and OWS protesters.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:28 a.m.

So, I can do anything I want because I think 'God' told me to?

Baccus0902 | 10:54 a.m. Nov. 17, 2011, nailed it.

If Obama is re-elected, do you think any of these persons will recant their claim of support from the almighty?

I doubt it.

Rather, like with ALL things about claims of the almighty, they will just try to 'not talk about it', and sulk in their corner.

Happened during Clinton, and Obama's first election, right?

Here's another example.

Harold Camping.

The world was supposed to end on May 21st, 2011.
    Then, October 21st, 2011.

Now, 2012.

Hard to take 'devine influence' seriously with examples like these....

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Kind of ironic, don't you think? The one thing Mitt was/is taken to task for, everyone else is now carrying around like a heroic banner?

Like him or not, when was the last time Mitt said anything about religion?

• IndependentLiberal Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Mostly TIC. Being a devout Christian, I actually believe god told these Republican to run for president, he is showing the electorate that every one of the republican candidates are knuckle heads, and that God gave all of us a brain and the intelligent thing to do would be to vote for the smart candidate, President Barack Obama! Flame On!!

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Well there is no reason that each individual voter could not gather all the information he/she can, study it out FIRST and make an informed decision, and they pray for confirmation. Of course I'd guess that most votes will sidestep this process.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:54 a.m.

I would like to invite the writer of this story Mr. Joseph Walker, make a follow up story the next day of the election in 2012. I would be very much interested on the explanation of those who didn't get elected to office.

Would be even more interesting if Mr. Obama is re-elected president of the United States.

If Mr. Obama is re-elected we could conclude that God has a sense of humor and was just teasing with these people. Because as Kami 10:28 wrote, who are we to question the candidates believes?

Mr. Walker please write a follow up story, I will be eagerly waiting.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Seems like a common theme among GOP candidates.

Is anyone buying that?

From any of them?

• Kimball Woodruff Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:43 a.m.

It's a perfect description of the Republican nomination process. A bunch of guys who think they're God's gift out to convince the religious right that they are.

• Keith43 Springville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Pretty amazing! They're all receiving the same "revelation" to simply "run" for president; and, only one of them will win the election? If you want something bad enough and pray hard enough; even though it's not necessarily God's will at all, you'll convince yourself that He did in fact, speak to you. Perhaps God gave them all the same answer to simply entertain them and feed their ego. Their responses are politics at it's very best.

Other than Ron Paul, I woundn't give a single one of them, the time of day, much less vote for any of them - Romney included.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:30 a.m.

If I were Mitt Romney I would want a partition between me and the rest during debates. The article should include Newt's saying that his adultery was a natural overflow of his passionate patriotism and that God understood that.

I don't agree with all of Romney's views but he is by far the best person to lead this nation right now. I'm still open on whose views are right - where we disagree. It seems that the Lord chose to be born in a stable for some reason.
    And I wonder if Mitt had been reared in Searchlight, Nevada would he still have the same political philosophy?

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Who am I to question any of the candidates beliefs that they felt influenced by God to run? Seems to me it would take a pretty prideful person to question that belief.