Faith, forgiveness urged at funeral services for Mormon missionaries killed in Texas accident

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Nov. 16, 2011 10:38 a.m.

If the "hit" was just an accident, the "run" was not. Had the driver stayed on scene perhaps the outcome for the two young men would have been different.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 15, 2011 7:17 p.m.

Condolences to the family, friends.

• Maggie Saint George, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Google the information. The driver and his passengers are illegal aliens.Not information that was in our local papers.
    I always check that before I make a comment,I never assume that one is here illegally because of a name. Most of us do not,however we are quickly judged.
    It is a shame because it is not racism that motivates most of us,but rather the will to obey laws and the protection of our citizens and country.
    Many of us learned this from our military service,churches and parents and many evidently missed those teaching moments.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Nov. 15, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Ted H. | 9:45 a.m. Nov. 15, 2011
    Midvale, UT

Perhaps forgiveness that the criminal should not have been in our country in the first place.

That is no accident.

"Should not have been in our country in the first place"

Do we know that this person that was driving the car was not a citizen of "our country"? Just because someone has a Mexican sounding name does not mean they are not a born citizen of the United States. People of Mexican heritage were in Texas long before it was "our country."
    Please, if the article is about illegal aliens we expect to read your sort of comment but not on an article about these young Elders funeral, it is about Faith & Forgivness and paying respect to these young men for there service.

• Maggie Saint George, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 12:43 p.m.

My heart aches for this family and all who were close to these two good men.
    I am sure the impact these young men had on all people around them will forever live in their hearts.

Normally,I have found LDS people to be the most forgiving people I have ever lived among. That said ,I am obviously not that good a person and will continue to work towards holding my country,it's elected officials and all at fault for ignoring our immigration laws.We are loosing so many of our young and vibrant citizens to accidents,drugs ,kidnapping,killing and assults by people who should not even be in our country. I pray that God will also bless us who take this route to protects those who are dear to us.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 11:57 a.m.

To Maxist: Faith allows us to have hope of a brighter tomorrow and helps be able to forgive. Forgiveness allows the application of the atonement of Jesus Christ which heals our broken hearts and enables us to go forth with faith.

No one should judge any of the family members if it takes them some time to forgive, their loss is great.

To these two young missionaries - "Well done good and faithful servants"

• anchorageles Ventura, CA
    Nov. 15, 2011 10:00 a.m.

I am so, so sadden by this...........it just makes me cry

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 15, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Very touching tributes on both accounts. My heart and prayers go out to the families.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 9:45 a.m.

That is no accident.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Nov. 15, 2011 9:03 a.m.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of these two outstanding young men. It also goes out to the families of the driver, and to the driver himself. Forgiveness is necessary because we tend to pull up all the negative (illegal alien, poor judgment, passing improperly, etc) and we don't realize that he and they will have to live with this incredibly horrible thought of having taken someones life - forever. Let's all be slow to judge and quick to love. And for those who think there is nothing to forgive, well, may the Lord bless you too. Our families are very dear. Resentment can come from so many angles. I appreciate thoughtful leaders who give inspired council. May God bless them all. May He bless us everyone.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 8:40 a.m.

"That being said, not to forgive is to lose more than the young men; it cankers one's soul." And how does that work? The damage done by the driver is permnanent, at lesat as far as this life goes. About the next - ? I'd be a long time granting forgiveness for blatant negligence. This guy and his two passengers should get manslaughter at least. The parents and the Church should see to it.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 8:07 a.m.

The Kearns Community is proud of this young man and his service, and while mourning right along with his family, we are all aware of the blessings and help given by a loving Heavenly Father and ask for those blessings in their behalf. To quote, "The Lord bless you and keep you."

• twinb Willoughby, OH
    Nov. 15, 2011 7:44 a.m.

I feel sorry for Goldfever's attitude. It certainly was not a life wasted! Who's to say how long our lives are to be? Only God knows. This young man, as well as Elder Walker served well and will be blessed. Will they be missed? Definitely, but their parents and loved ones can find peace and comfort in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I have a son out right now and one leaving right after the holidays. I can't imagine getting that kind of phone call, but I certainly wouldn't consider my sons' lives being a waste if they died young.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 15, 2011 5:16 a.m.

Rob and Patriot,

Well said.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 12:14 a.m.

@ Dektol The driver allegedly was speeding to pass a car on a narrow road in the dark when his headlights weren't working properly. All of that behavior was chosen by the driver and his carelessness caused two deaths. Is that what you mean by "accident?" I'm certain he didn't think his driving would kill two young men, but I am not sure he thought much at all about his wreckless and dangerous driving.

That being said, not to forgive is to lose more than the young men; it cankers one's soul. We have had a few extraordinary examples on the Wasatch Front where families have been decimated due to drunk driving and the victims have forgiven the responsible drunk dirvers. Such an action is truly Christlike and produces peace of mind and healing, rather than anger and a loss of one's character and dignity. Is it difficult? I cannot imagine how difficult it must be. Is it the right way to not increase your own suffering? Absolutely.

• BostonTerry Merrimack, NH
    Nov. 14, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Dektol, as my safety engineer would say. There are no 'just accidents'. I have to add 'especially behind the wheel of a car'.

..and the driver was arrested.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Nov. 14, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Once a missionary, always a missionary. Elder Strong and Elder Walker are probably companions still!

Love the thought they loved being missionaries. What tremendous young men they are!

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 14, 2011 5:32 p.m.

He loved being a missionary. He is still teaching even those he left behind. Amen!

• Call2Action Thatcher, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 5:14 p.m.

My heart goes out to the families. Their loss is tragic and I can't even begin to know how they feel.

This article, among many others, does not mention that the missionaries were killed by an illegal from Mexico, who shouldn't have been in the country.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    Nov. 14, 2011 5:12 p.m.

"Forgiveness" of what? It was an accident.

• heartish HEBER CITY, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 4:28 p.m.

What beautiful examples of faith and fortitude from these families. This missionary got his heartfelt wish and the families can feel some consolation in that. My heart goes out to them in those quiet, lonely moments...when they can and will feel of the loving embrace of the Comforter - knowing there is One who can succor them in their mortal pains because He does now exactly how they feel!

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Nov. 14, 2011 3:46 p.m.

DN quoted the father in an earlier article '"You've been teaching the Plan of Salvation for two years. This is where you learn it. We're all going to learn it." What great counsel, faith, and strength!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Seeing these pictures made me reflect on my own kids missions and how I would be feeling had this terrible thing happened. I can't imagine the pain and sorrow that this family is suffering through. Certainly the gospel perspective is wonderful ... but the hurt and pain isn't going to go away for a while even with everything else that is said and done. When you send you precious sons and daughters on missions you know - in the back of your mind that this sort of thing is possible but you sort of block it out and don't even let it enter your mind. I hope both of these families who lost sons can find come measure of peace and solace at this time and especially during the holidays.

• Rob Logan, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Seeing these pictures made me cry. I really feel for this family and the family of the other Missionary who died in this horrible accident. My prayers are with you. The pictures also show the spirit and love for each other giving comfort to those who attended the funeral. A Missionary that dies in the service of the Lord is in the heart of all the members of the church.