3A football semifinals: Desert Hills succeeds in second shot at Cedar

• Region9supporter HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 9:18 p.m.

@ Ask the Football PRO
    I am not sure who you are sir, but you need to be thanked for your great gesture. You are a great example of the goodness of people who had seen some success in life and want to share it with others! Many Thanks

• Ask the Football PRO SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 9:53 p.m.

I donated a little bit of money to UHSAA so it doesn't cost the tax payers dollars or the schools to haul the two Semi Champs up north, there is no better feeling then winning a State Championship at RES I've done it twice, many years ago and no I'm not from down south, I've done it in high school, college and NFL, Good luck to both great teams and congratulating you both on your great accomplishments. Play hard and play with passion. People please enjoy the boys and respect the game. Thanks

Nov. 14, 2011 6:16 p.m.

My feeling is that our Thunder will have to play a near perfect game on both sides of the ball. Hurricane is as tough a team as I have seen for several years, but Spanish showed that there are a few chinks in their armor. I hope for a great game that both teams will be proud of the way they play. I'd fly to Anchorage if they changed the venue tomorrow. It's about the kids that have earned the right to be there. RES will be a great place to say they've played. Good luck & safe travel to everyone this weekend. May the best team on friday night win!

Nov. 14, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Jo mama

You are the pot calling the kettle black. I think you have forgotten about your past attempt at rhyming. So your right you past the Deseret news mediators with your abundant knowledge of football and appropriateness. You are probably Southern Fan also.

Nov. 14, 2011 5:43 p.m.

All from my own noggin!

Nov. 14, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Everyone needs to calm the heck down! Too much tension is bad for your health.

Just a bunch of people blowing off nervous energy, that's all.

Oldcoach, agreed. Friday can't come too soon.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 14, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Man jomamma your dictionary is getting some use today...

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 14, 2011 4:39 p.m.

It is gratifying to know that NONE of you who post here will be on the field to decide this championship. It's really too bad that this great game will be decided on who plays the best on a particular day. How about 2 out of 3? Just kidding of course. This will be as exciting as both semifinal games were, and will probably come down to who has the ball last. Can't wait for Friday!

Nov. 14, 2011 4:29 p.m.

There is no way the Warriors are going to usurp the championship. The Tigers are going to win, and I will ignore the flippant remarks of Southern Fan from now on.

Nov. 14, 2011 4:23 p.m.

It passed the scrutiny of the Deseret News comment constables so it is appropriate to be on here. Southern Fan, if you want change you need to apply at the Deseret News company, and you can personally keep it to the par in which thou seems appropriate. I, however, think the mediators on here do a terrific job without your abundant knowledge of football and appropriateness. Maybe we aren't good enough for you, so maybe just socialize with your own gregarious group.

Nov. 14, 2011 4:18 p.m.

How is the weather in St. George today?

Nov. 14, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Southern Fan must be a panther.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 3:54 p.m.

The UHSAA publications say they "reimburse" schools for travel expenses. How much and for what events isn't clear, but one would think there would be help with state tournament travel. The tv revenue is significant, because the UHSAA gets that regardless of the number of fans who travel to see games at RES.

Southern Fan

Rousing "amen" to your 3:12 p.m. comment.

Nov. 14, 2011 3:45 p.m.

Southern Fan,
    You mean like you just did?

Nov. 14, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Because I don't have his permission to use his name. It's called the honorable thing to do, or not to do, in this case. Neither he nor I declared anything would happen, just that conversations were taking place.
    What difference would it make if you knew? It wouldn't change a thing.
    I know who it is. Unless he's fine with it, you don't need to.

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 3:40 p.m.

It is used to rent facilities, pay for officials etc

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 14, 2011 3:12 p.m.

Can you blogger fanatics: email, facebook, or my space each other and not waste time chatting with each other on this comment board about stupid things that don't have anything to do with football and the Championship game coming up?

• ThunderBBK St George, Ut
    Nov. 14, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Does anyone KNOW whether UHSAA uses that TV contract money to help defray costs of all the schools that have to travel to RES? Do any of the schools get a portion of the money or is it used to rent the facility from the U of U? Probably that money is used to fund the UHSAA's activities.

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 2:29 p.m.

@SoUtHapa & Dr. Rush

You both talk about "your sources." Why don't you name them?

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 14, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Who was it that had "a VERY reliable source that the game would be moved and announced this morning? I forget.

Jomamma, I didn't understand your comment. Yep, must be because I went to HHS, (there, I just saved about 20 comments on here from the St. George upper class people about how we are inferior) Find somewhere good to eat and I'll join you.

P.S. doubt it very much that you are handsomer than I. Yep, just said handsomer.

• sunnyjsanders VIRGIN, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Jamal...seriously? Your comments have to be negative attacks on a community instead of simply about the game and the teams who worked hard to get to the finals? Why can't it be about the game and the awesome boys who worked to hard to make it this way..it has nothing to do with the financial status of a community, which, by the way, the last time I looked we are within about 30 miles of each other, so technically we are in the same community. Obviously, the "looks" of a community has nothing to do with the "heart" of a community, as the Hurricane Valley has tremendous heart and class. Wish I could say that about all of Washington County. Unfortunately, attitudes like yours bring the county down a notch. Go Tigers! And as far as that goes, good luck to DHHS as well.

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Dr Rush | 12:56 p.m. Nov. 14, 2011
    Saint George, UT

you would have 10Xs the folks at the game if its in So Utah

Ten times?!? If that is the case then the game should be at the Rose Bowl. There will be between 6000-8000 there.

Nov. 14, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Great win Desert Hills, now it is finally here, The STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Since my Soaring Eagle is out I will be on Hurricane side rooting for them. I am glad it is only a 15 min drive. See you guys at PF Changs, Me and Mykaljordan will be there 4 o'clock sharp. lol.

Nov. 14, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Kung Pao is the bomb! Hot, spicy little peanut dish, fo' sho'! Actually, I think it would be cool to meet MykalJordan. Just another passionate fan.

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Hate to say it but, I told you so Dr Rush... The buyout for the game top be moved would cost at least as much as the gate would have been down there... And don't say well they moved last weeks because last week wasn't the game that is under contract. $ talks

Nov. 14, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I am way more handsome than amanap.

Nov. 14, 2011 1:22 p.m.

Looks like you yourself are a PF Changs Kung Pao fiend like me. See you there at 4:00. That MykalJordan dude isn't invited.

Nov. 14, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Dr Rush,
    I thought you had it all figured out before? I think Hurricane wants to play there for the reckoning. Just go to PF Changs and your whole trip will be worth it Dr. Rush. I will be there at 4 o'clock for Kong Pao. You can sit by me, I will be the most handsome guy in the place.

• woodness Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 1:09 p.m.

rush. yes we do. would like a good one.

Nov. 14, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Now people are just plain losing their minds! No kidding, lovovdagame? The semis were scheduled at RES a year in advance too. That didn't stop a change of venue.

Some of us are not anti any venue, just throwing out for consideration why it might have gone either way. We're excited to watch the boys play, regardless where.

Jo Momma, that would be Kung Pao.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 12:56 p.m.

So they game is at 6:30 Friday night at RES,95% of the fans there will be from So Utah,80% of those will be family members of players,I know common sense is no so common but,you have the 800+mile round trip,hotel that night or getting home about 3am,gas,food the 10 hours in the car I'm sure there is more,come on man,you would have 10Xs the folks at the game if its in So Utah,and KJZZ,lol,the rating on I love Lucy reruns would be higher than the game,and besides Hurricane fans don't you enough bad memories of finals at RES?

• woodness Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 12:35 p.m.

@ yo ma. i know for a fact you dont know what youre talking about

Nov. 14, 2011 12:22 p.m.

@ amanap
    PF Changs is pretty good. You need to ask for no scallions on the Kong Pao. Why would I miss A good football game even if Cedar lost? I will go because I appreciate the purity of the sport. You can not juxtapose any other of life's ambiguous aims with the realism and vigor of a great football game for analytical purposes. There is just no comparison.

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I never blamed the principal for not having the game moved. Reading comprehension skills must not be great.. Good luck to Desert Hills and HHS. may the best team win.

• lovovdagame St. George, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 12:04 p.m.

@Southern Fan My point exactly. How stupid can we all get?

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 14, 2011 11:21 a.m.

That was the most stupid comment I have ever read on these boards.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 14, 2011 11:20 a.m.

@ lovovdagame

I like your solution.

PF Changs is not good. And I thought Cedar lost, why you going up?

• lovovdagame St. George, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Here it is. The solution based on all the feed back on this blog and a telephone call to my aunt whose son is in the know. Money seems to be the whole issue, the travel costs, the motel rooms, KJZZ etc. Since the two teams have already played and Hurricane beat Desert Hills so badly we shall just declare Hurricane the state champs and no one has to spend money or travel north on those vicious roads. It was played at DHHS and so they had the home field advantage. This way no more football players will get injured and won't have worry about bleachers or t-shirts. But if you don't like that I have talked to the district and they will send parents/fan busses up for those who can't afford the gas or don't want to drive and they can share in the bus cost so it won't cost the district extra money. All problems solved. OR we could just stick to the original plan worked out since last year.

Nov. 14, 2011 10:31 a.m.

I hope the game is at RES so I can eat Kong Pao chicken at PF Changs before the game.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Ok, Let's end all the speculation. I just called HHS and spoke to a student aid who was answering phones. He assured me the game will be played at RES. Get your bags packed and your long johns out!!

• Kolobman HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 9:59 a.m.

If it's an option, let the players and coaches decide. I think they've earned that right.

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Most of the talk seems to center around what the fans and respective school admin's would prefer. Wrong angle, if you ask me.

The players are the ones who've played a 10-12 game schedule to get to the winner take all game. I'd bet good money if you polled the players, from top to bottom on both teams, you'd get 95% plus voting for RES. Especially if they could vote their conscience without being pressured by parents and school

Not to mention if the game is played at SUU or Dixie State wed have to hear from one schools fans or the other, ad nauseum, that one team had an unfair advantage. Do I hear RESRESRESRES

• firaman761 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Let's just play the game. As a DHHS player's parent I don't care where the game is played because I will be there. This game will be much much closer than the first one and I believe DHHS will come out on top.

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 6:32 a.m.

.@ cedarPost. & @asIseeit
    Blaming the principal for not having the game moved...do you really think that decision is left up to a site manager? Don't be so naive. Principals can't shorten a school,day without getting permission from their superiors at the district office.

Besides, the point has been clearly made...it is a contract issue. We don't have the details. The UHSAA must have looked into the matter because the were successful in moving the semifinal. The game wasn't televised, so KJZZ must have given approval and I recall that district officials were the ones involved', not site managers.

I work with contracts daily. The purpose of a contract is to have mutually agreed upon actions. Both parties must agree to reconsider terms if a change is to be made. Those changes must benefit both parties. What benefit will KJZZ get by moving the game? They are a business.

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 6:07 a.m.

I am amazed at some of the comments that suggest how easy it would be to move the game. It is asmifmthey are speaking for the UHSAA or for KJZZ. How would anyone know what the costs are for KJZZ?! They have already paid to broadcast the game with very little traveling costs because KJZZ is already in SLC. They don't need to move the game as they are setting up at RES because there are two other games there involving Wasatch front teams. Sure, we all would prefer the game closer to home but that's not an option (so far).

If you were KJZZ, why would you want to move this game after you already signed a contract and paid a hefty amount for the games? To suggest that a part of the gate would compensate the move is not accurate. They"d want more than the entire gate.

• tejas washington, utah
    Nov. 13, 2011 11:25 p.m.

I for one will watch the game at dixie state or on tv, I wont drive to salt lake to watch it. The drive home after the game is very long.

Nov. 13, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Oh brother! Once again, this is speculation on what the UHSAA may have in mind. Of course everyone knew where the playoffs were scheduled. The UHSAA is pulling the strings here and, whether you like it or not, it will be about money, both saving it and making it.
    Not weather.
    Not Hurricane's building additions.
    Not DH being full of rich people.
    Not blah, blah, blah...whatever the heck else you people want to contrive to psych yourselves up.

• defhed HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 10:42 p.m.

The people complaining about traveling to RES are simply fair weather fans. Their stories of saving money should of been told during the preseason when virtually every team traveled north to play a game that was not nearly as important. Every team that played 3A knew where the finals were scheduled. Their booster clubs probably figured it into their fund raising efforts. The extra buses for student bodies are usually paid for by those riding the buses. Why would anyone want to move the championship game out of the championship stadium unless it was for their own selfish reasons. What true FOOTBALL fan would worry about the weather? Like I said they're simply fair weather fans. Let them save their precious money and watch the game in the comfortable warm house they call home. This will save them the most money! As for the rest of us Football is played in or through the cold, rain, sleet or snow. We really only need the championship fans to watch the championship teams at the championship stadium "RES". The rest of you know who you are. STAY HOME!

Nov. 13, 2011 10:42 p.m.

No one's complaining about going up north, just speculating on what's rumored to be in the mix.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2011 9:54 p.m.

All those that are worried about expense: Having been to Hurricane recently, they certainly look like they have plenty of money, that school addition can't be cheap. And DH isn't lacking for money either. Here's the thing, that game has been scheduled since the first of the season, your two teams made the final, now go support them! I know Cedar, Delta, Spanish, etc. wish they had the worry you guys have right now. When you have kids that play sports, you know that there is the possibility of having to pony up some dough to travel to support them. I know it would be nice to have it moved, but if it can't be, then just travel to RES and enjoy it for what it's worth. If you can't afford it, then listen to the radio!

Nov. 13, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Hmmm. With the new info from Kped.4:01pm, sounds like my conversation with my friend yesterday may have some juice.

He talked about the TV facilities at Dixie and the ability they have to easily crossover and provide KJZZ a feed. His conversation was with a UHSAA official.

Stay tuned, folks.

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 13, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Jo Mamma,
    Here's the fact with the injury's. 6 starters, 4 on both sides of the ball were hurt, and on the sideline when we played Cedar, so whine all you want, complain about the refs, have your coach call us babies, but the facts are the facts. All 6 were back on Friday. Result...a "W" over the Eat Turf haters.

Nov. 13, 2011 7:24 p.m.

Cedarpost and Enterprise,
    Why don't you vent to the UHSAA and KJZZ? They are the ones with the power. If it isn't a biggie then call them yourself.

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2011 7:08 p.m.

KJZZ could be paid off easily with a quarter of the gate. Who cares that the coaches and some of the players want to play up there. A lot of people want what they can't afford. Making a fiscally responsible decision is the best example to show the kids rather than throw money down the drain. We already have the fed gov that does enough of that.

• LAsorda Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 6:59 p.m.

@sports view

I was at the game. and Rutledge looked good on Friday's win over Cedar. They look healthy to me.

As for two years ago...if Hurricane fumbles within their own 20 twice like they did then and also has an interception, I think that those mistakes would yield the same result.

• @sIseeiT Enterprise, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 6:43 p.m.

We care where because in this economy, we are being told that there is hardly money for paper and supplies yet they have no problem spending for several buses to drive that far when it could be moved. All KJAZZ would have to do is give permission no biggie things are moved all the time.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 6:26 p.m.

I like how you throw out the two years ago game when these guys were sophmores. Maybe last year and this year would be a little more relevant with Hurricane winning both games with a margin of 75-21. I think the same mantra was given both years as DH was bigger, faster and stronger but the scores haven't seemed to indicate that.

Nov. 13, 2011 5:47 p.m.

I wonder if DH is going to start making injury excuses before the game even happens?

Nov. 13, 2011 5:43 p.m.

Sounds like Jamal has had his tail kicked by Hurricane a few too many times.

Nov. 13, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Funny that you say that because the dumpy Hurricane football team has made your snobby St. George boys cry with their mamas.

• Sports View Eagle River, AK
    Nov. 13, 2011 4:58 p.m.

I wouldn't mind the game in a neutral stadium. SUU would work for both, UHSAA must have already spent their money. It's really not about the kids or the fans, otherwise playing down south would make way too much sense. KJAZZ can send down a truck and crew much easier than shipping 20 buses, countless parents and fans to pay out for gas and hotel and hope there are no car wrecks.

It would be nice to see all the D-Hills starters back, but that just won't happen. The sarting receiver/corner blew out his knee, gone for the year; Needham and Rutledge are lost to playing defense for the year; Nose/center has a broken foot, hobbles on offense, can't play defense, the QB has a broken finger and has not finished either of the last two games. Full strength just won't happen. Maybe the Tigers can win a final against the walking wounded Thunder, they should.

Good luck to both teams, but you won't have a full strength D-Hills team again. Remember 2 years ago when H-town was ranked number one, who beat them. It should be a great game. Hope every travels safely.

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Since when did anyone in Enterprise care where Hurricane plays a final? That's not your concern. While most here in H-town would love it closer, we support our team and coaches. We've had three trips there and had heart-breaking experiences. We want this one to wash away the memories!!! We support Coach Homer, his staff, the players and everyone else.

Nov. 13, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Between, and including football seasons of '05 and '08, we followed our sons and their Pineview team mates to RES 6 times. Tigerfan50 is right. There is really nothing like it, in this state anyway. However, I would guess that had Hurricane been playing you'd have been less bored at Hansen Stadium. Maybe?
    To say who cares what the adults think, though, is a little short sighted. Who pays the bills? A trip to RES is not cheap for anyone, let alone for families who are struggling to make ends meet or a heavily populated school system with a thinly funded revenue stream in this poor economy. So, I still say that I'd understand completely if the venue changed.

• KPED Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 4:01 p.m.

You have misunderstood or misread. The decision to have the title games at RES was made prior to this season when KJZZ signed a contract with the UHSAA. KJZZ owns the rights to the 3 title games as the contract stipulates that the games are at RES. The only way the games can be moved is if KJZZ agrees to the terms and they'd expect financial compensation. A decision like that is not made amongst the principals. That decision is between KJZZ & UHSAA. The UHSAA looked into the matter and were told that it was not an option for the finals.

Our community would live to have the game closer to home...but we need express consent from KJZZ first. If we had the option of moving the game, we would have tried changing venues long ago.

• Turf Wars HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Thx Kped, The Young Men"Players" Deserve Nothing Less Than A Trip To Res.
    Hansen Stadium Atmosphere Doesn't Even Come Close.
    Thats What They Have Put In All The Hard Work For Is To Play The
    State Championship At Res Not Hansen Stadium.
    Dr Rush.

• tigerfan50 HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 3:39 p.m.

as a former hurricane player i think it would be wrong to take away the experience of playing at the turf in salt lake city? i had the chance to play their 4 times and i would not change that experience for anything it ia an amazing experience plus its just where the championship games are played if it was down south it would not even feel the same in my opinion and i think most of the players on the hurricane team would agree? plus its the kids playing the game so who cares what all the adults and fans want the kids have worked hard to play there. i was at the cedar game and compared to salt lake the atmoshpere was boring at hansen dont over look D hills hurricane and bring home that championship for all of us former players H TOWN FOOTBALL FOR LIFE

• @sIseeiT Enterprise, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Thanks for wanting to waste taxpayer money when this game could be played far cheaper down here. Please don't ask for school donations if you are going to waste like this.

Nov. 13, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Thanks for chiming in at the cost of your relative anonymity :). Sounds official.

• mightyd Fbtown, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 3:03 p.m.

Ok, I will try a third time,.....seems to me that there is so many wonderful and great and positive blogs on here, I love it when we all can just love each other and can all just get along....
    I love the d news, they are always so fair and really show class...
    I love the fact that someone can rip on hurricane fans, and can rip on the town and we can all show our Christlike attitudes and have forgiveness in our hearts.......love, love, love.....that's all we need......thanks d news, for letting those blogs go, this has given us all a chance to show how Christian we are, and forgive those who have shown a lack of Christlike love for their neighbor.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 2:59 p.m.

You can't argue with the inmates. What you're hearing makes perfect sense. If the UHSAA did not do everything possible to move the game south, it would become the world's biggest hypocrites after all its talk about the need to reduce travel. Of course the game should be played here and it will be. Playing at RES is way overrated.

• KPED Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Let's put some rumors to rst.

I have been told that the game is at RES. Kevin Dustin (UHSAA) told me that contractually KJZZ has paid for the rights to televise 3 games at RES. I was assured of this fact after the DHHS/CHS game. Both principals support RES.

It would be great to have it in the south. Unfortunately, Hansen Stadium is much too small. Hurricane could fill it alone as it only holds 5000. Both the coaches and players want the experience of playing at RES.

Kevin Pedersen, principal
    Hurricane High School

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 2:36 p.m.

@south niner
    I saw one negative post from ligers but ligers rips on everyone and three postive post towards DH from Hurricane fans. What is your point about us being like Snow Canyon?

Nov. 13, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Your right let's play in Hurricane. Directions to Hurricane, as follows. If you have ever been to Lake Powell, Hurricane is the first dumpy town before Colorado City..

Nov. 13, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Come on people! We live in the best community in Utah. Our kids teach us so much by getting along and creating life long friendships across school boundaries. It has been and continues to be our pleasure as parents to have former Dixie, Snow Canyon and Hurricane opponents, now close friends, in our home. One of our sons is married to a dream of daughter in law who happened to grow up in and play soccer for Cedar high.
    Why do we adults feel like we have o get all chippy and snippy with tee shirts or comments that ave no apparent purpose other than to cause trouble?

• south niner washington, utah
    Nov. 13, 2011 12:56 p.m.

hurricane fans are turning into what all region nine fans allways hated about snow canyon

Nov. 13, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I suppose you will now get some lame tee shirts printed and...never mind. The true Hurricane fans have too much class and confidence for that.
    Neither school is calling the shots here. This is a UHSAA function and they hold all the cards. There is enough positive drama to go around. Why get negative?

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 13, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Dhhs is not afraid to go to res. They Campaigned for the semi game up there, goofy.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 13, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Why not play it at Hurricane? They are the home team and have earned it. If were going to move it down lets just move it there. What do you think dhills fans?

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2011 8:01 a.m.

There are more and better reasons to have the game played in southern utah. It would not be practical to have the game up north. Good luck to both teams. Should be a good game.

Nov. 13, 2011 1:18 a.m.

I heard the game will be played on the Moon. Sorry about that because if you don't have a space ship you wont be able to go.

• guv_garfunkel Highland, UT
    Nov. 13, 2011 12:50 a.m.

When does the UHSAA actually do what they say they're going to do?

Nov. 12, 2011 10:57 p.m.

You all don't have to believe Dr. Rush, or me. No problem. I am not at liberty to say who, but this morning a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE told me about a phone call from the UHSAA regarding preparation to move the game...again.

So, it may not happen but sure looks like it will.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 12, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Sounds like Dhills is scared to play Hurricane at RES. Use all the "reasons" you want but admit it, you guys haven't been there and are afraid of the mighty Tigers on that turf.

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 12, 2011 10:27 p.m.

Dr Rush,
    Quit blowing smoke to make yourself feel important. It will not be moved.

• Region 9 fan Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 10:21 p.m.

That place was packed and few Hurricane fans were there. How Doc do you and the powers that be figure that people will have a place to sit. 8 dollars a head to stand, sounds like education minds to me. Think about it, probably not, just catering to the biggest whinners!! The boys do want to play in RES, I have one, he does! If this was about safety and money, why has Hurricane had to travel to RES 7 times now. Because it was Hurricane and you didn't care. Leave it alone, the atmosphere is unmatched.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 9:58 p.m.

In all seriousness,My sources say it's will be announced on Monday,the game will be played at DSC,it's done,now talk about the game not the venue.

• mightyd Fbtown, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Ha, cracks me up, people saying things like they know...game will NOT be moved, number one cuz hurricane coaches will never move it, why would they, and why would they give up "field advantage", playing at RES is so diff than playing anywhere in Utah, why would they give up that advantage.
    Plus, the state has already said they are not changing the game.
    So don't say that things r in the works, because they are not.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Why freeze? The same fans will be at SUU that will be at Hansen. Hurricane and DH only played one game each at Hansen so I don't think DH will have an advantage there. I agree with SoUtHapa that there will be three times the fans at Hansen and that place will be rocking. I think the crowd and playing in the State Championship will impress the boys more than the stadium.

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 8:17 p.m.

If we didn't play at RES, I'd vote for SUU's stadium. That way DH wouldn't have the home field advantage it had at Hansen Stadium. I know I'll get many detractors saying DH didn't have an advantage, but they did. RES or SUU.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 7:24 p.m.

Well turf wars knows all the players on Hurricane and DH and he's says they would rather play at RES,so that settles it,;)

Nov. 12, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Wow, everyone a Rapa , so let's go to the RES and continue to klapa.

• Turf Wars HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 6:26 p.m.

Hurricane & DH players would much rather pley the game & RES,. They have grown up playing at Hansen Stadium &
    have invisioned
    Wining the State title @ RES. NOT Hansen Stadium.
    The fans will travel to support there teams , don't cheat the boys out of there dreams!,

Nov. 12, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Jo Mamma

Stoke up the wood stove and snuggle up to Jill , because you wont be making the drive to the hill.
    Watch us on TV, win or lose-but you will no longer be in the news.
    I love your blogs for what ever reason, but now we will all wait for Basketball season.

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Cant wait to see the game. Ill only be able to watch it if it is in southern utah tho so hopefully they will make the change.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 3:54 p.m.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 3:21 p.m.

They could easily bring in a bunch of those portable bleachers, they use for parades and rodeos, to add additional seating at Hansen Stadium. They also need that portable screen, they used at Hurricane for the playoff game against Grantsville, for replays. That was sweet.
    Isn't that the case with all predictions from fans?

• sunshiner st.george, ut
    Nov. 12, 2011 3:05 p.m.

Cedar Coach called DH "babies" for wanting to play on turf. That was even more motivation for the boys even though they had plenty from the earlier game. Cedar hung tough and never gave up so I congratulate them. DHHS is going to have to play a near perfect game to beat Hurricane but on any given night anything can happen. Gotta love High School football!

Nov. 12, 2011 2:09 p.m.

A very good source told me today that calls between the UHSAA and DSC have already taken place. Both schools would have to agree, but honestly, after that crowd and scene last night, with the concentration of noise and excitement all in one place, I would vote for it again. The packed house at Hansen Stadium is more impressive looking, in my opinion, than the apparent sprinkling of fans at RES. It is an awe inspiring experience up there but last night was GREAT!

Weather is more predictably good. More locals could attend. The college is equipped to link the TV feed to KJZZ so the rest of the state will get it as well. Less risk of traffic incidents or, heaven forbid, accidents. Hard to find a down side.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 2:05 p.m.

@LAsorda,no rumor fact,details are being worked at as we speak,100% game will be played in So Utah.

• LAsorda Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 1:38 p.m.

There are rumors about moving the game south...

Hansen Stadium is too small. SUU is bigger.

Let's move it to Sam Boyd Stadium at UNLV!!!

Nov. 12, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Doh! So close to having a totally positive post! Keep trying. I know you can do it!

Jo Momma,
    Cute poem. If the DH boys can pull it off, luck will have little to do with it.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 1:17 p.m.

I am sure that the Tigers had more to do with winning then your predictions.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 1:12 p.m.

@pic 6
    Don't mock me. I've been 100% with my Hurricane picks this year:)

Nov. 12, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Roses are red, violets are not, good luck stopping, Thompson,Yardley, and Scott.

• BYUtough South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2011 11:00 a.m.

That's Karma for you. Coach Peacock went and bashed Westlake for letting Ursua get his ways and being undisciplined. Then Ursua doesn't show up to any of his offseason or summer practices while harping on integrity. Ursua shows up 2 weeks before the season starts, gets handed the starting job and Peacock apologizes to Ursua and his mother for comments he made.
    Just when he thought he was getting to the promised land, karma, in the form of Desert Hills makes things right (to make it even harsher, it was a team they blew out 3 weeks earlier).
    It would have been a bit nicer had Westlake finished off TV on gone a little farther, but, oh well.

Go Knights!

Nov. 12, 2011 10:42 a.m.

A little early for a drink, you sound punchy.

Of course it will be more difficult to stop Hurricane.
    I'm sure SF would say nothing was easy about playing Hurricane.
    Of course your going with Hurricane, your name is tigerfan.

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Great game by the Thunder! I didn't think they could handle Ursua but they kept him in check most of the night. I only remember three big runs (2 for TDs)...which is amazing because he is good for a dozen of those. Putting 9 guys in the box was expected but I am a bit surprised that the Cedar coaching staff didn't have a counter move for that. Holding Bishop to next to nothing was superb.
    As a Hurricane fan, I applaud your efforts! It will be fun at RES!!!

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Wow! Very impressive. I was very suprised DH took Cedar out of their traditional game plan. The DH fans have been talking about having their full team back and I think that had a lot to do with it (taking Cedar out of their game.) It will probably be more difficult to take Hurricane out of it's game plan but that is what will have to happen to keep the game close. Hurricane's secondary really struggled against SF with two starters hurt but I see them making adjustments next week and don't see DH getting the easy TD's like SF did. It should be a fantastic game and probably pretty high scoring. I'm going with Hurricane 35-21.

Nov. 12, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Leave it to ligers. Dig dig then say something good then dig dig to end your blog. OLD

These are all great young men. Both teams have friends on both sidelines.
    By saying pass coverage might be their only flaw is a huge complement .
    Hurricane is a machine. These young men should be praised for what they have accomplished.
    Hurricane for having not lost a single game and Desert Hills for reaching the finals , two teams remain and both from southern Utah!

• Southside SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Why is it every time you are on here you shoot your mouth off. Nobody used injuries as an excuse last time, Hurricane was just plain better. The injuries are common in football but for DH this season it has been really hard to get all starters on the field at the same time. Good luck next week.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Liger, I don't understand your comment

• Ligers Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Yes that might be the only flaw but you still have not scored against the varsity team. I was impresses by DH last night as I went to watch the game. It should be a great game indeed DH deserves to be there IMO. I am glad everybody is healthy so we dont have to hear the excuses this time around.

• KPED Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 7:19 a.m.

Congratulations D-Hills on a well-played game! Both teams gave great efforts.

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2011 6:40 a.m.

Sure hope the game is in southern utah

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 12:46 a.m.

You gotta love 3A football! Two semi-finals. Four great teams of outstanding young men who bore their hearts and souls for four full quarter and NOBODY took a single backward step. When the smoke cleared the difference between victor and vanquished in both games: an eyelash. For the Dons and the Redmen the pain of this loss will fade and they will be able to look back and know they were part of something very special. They were part of two very good, very dangerous football teams. The Tigers will be looking to take care of unfinished business and the Thunder will take their first step onto the hallowed ground of the State Championship field. Good luck to both teams and congratulations and thanx to all the playoff teams for a great tournament.

Nov. 11, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Great win D-Hills. I guess having everyone back made a difference. Needham looked fantastic. If Harris is 100% next week after passing for 15 of 17 in the first half, could be big for the thunder. It may be Hurricane's only flaw (pass coverage)
    Go Thunder !!!

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Loved the fans tonight. Thanks for supporting our Dhhs boys Local fans!! Go thunder!

• Al Thepal Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Good job Desert Hills! Now go beat Hurricane and bring the State Championship back to St. George!