Sports

3A football playoffs: Hurricane back in title game

Comments

• cabinfever14 HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 14, 2011 5:05 p.m.

markymark

I have followed all high school teams very closely this year, and aside from maybe Logan, Hurricane could beat any team in the state, and would give Logan a run for their money.

Hurricane has averaged 40 points a game and has held their opponents to just 14 points a game, and it would be more like 7 points a game if they didn't play their 2nd string in the 4th quarter.This years offense is the most potent offense in the history of Hurricane Football.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Wouldn't it be funny if they lost again. I hope they don't. They've worked to hard to lose again. But they work hard every year and some how find a way to lose the title. Good luck Hurricane hope you do well.

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Two thoughts:

First - JD Fans are a classy bunch! Good move to throw congrats and cheers the Tigers way... Though many of us will DEFINITELY miss a JD/H-Town final next week...

As for the Tiger Haters - keep throwing the mud, seems you're the only one that is getting "dirty" from the experience... The Tigers are a well coached, well disciplined group of young men - and they're back in the finals for a fourth straight year... Pretty impressive!

As for markymark - the only serious comparison of the Mustangs and the Tigers is the "head-to-head" against Skyline (albeit Herriman faced the Eagles @ home and the Tigers went into the Eagles Nest...). The outcome? Skyline 27, Herriman 26. Hurricane 33, Skyline 14. Any more perspective?

I'm excited for the Thunder to be in their first championship game - but I'm having a hard time with the fact that I won't be treated to yet another "classic" JD/H-Town game next week @ RES...

• HHS fan St. George, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:59 p.m.

@markymark

Syracuse made it to the semis in 5A. They almost lost to Desert Hills, a team that Hurricane blew out. Syracuse was not impressive the whole year until the playoffs. They eeked by in a lot of the games they won. So don't get on here and say Hurricane would be on the bubble of the 5A playoffs. They would beat a lot of the 5A teams, and anything can happen in high school football. They would definitely beat Herriman.

• SSOLDMAN MONROE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:36 p.m.

Jaun Deigo did not 'bow out', they lost out. Call it what it is DN. Good job Tigers!

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:34 p.m.

I don't think too many had DH on their bracket for the finals. Should be a lot closer game than the first with DH getting their hurt players back on the field. I think the emotions will be high and a very close game Hurricane coming out on top for that elusive State Championship.

• Ligers Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 6:58 p.m.

Heck SF was a 5A school not that long ago and is big for 3A. That is what a game looks like when its evenly matched. West Jordan was a bigger blowout then what the score had. Every Friday the match up is different so you can never say who is going to beat who. But yes real good 5A would beat Hurricane up just as Logan would this year too. Nobody said they should play the 5A state champ in 2 weeks. They got nothing to prove only win NEXT week.

• sher khan La Verkin, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 6:09 p.m.

@markymark, as long as your not saying that Herriman would be anywhere near that bubble you're okay.Hurricane 33 Skyline 14. Herriman 26 Skyline 27.

• knightrider Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 5:46 p.m.

@markymark

I'd say for a 3A school that runs the ball primarily to be on the bubble of making the 5A playoffs is pretty impressive. Don't slam on Hurricane just because your team lost. How could you not be impressed with Scott? The whole stadium KNEW he was going to get the ball, and SF still couldn't stop him. It was pretty impressive to me.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Hurricane could beat Herriman.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:37 p.m.

markymark
    Even an ugly win is a win and don't be mad your team is out.

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Why could Rio Tinto charge too much? Wasn't it built with taxpayer money?

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:32 p.m.

I agree somewhat, MarkyMark. There is a quantum leap from 3A to 5A. We beat a 2nd tier 5A team in West Jordan, but they are nowhere near the playoffs. We would just run out of players eventually. We have too many players going both ways. There is just too much size difference.

• ohiostatefan DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Sam Boyd stadium would be a great place to play!

• THUNDER_BOY_0 EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Ceder is taking it all no one can stop my lil brother john....

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:43 p.m.

sampson is right on!!!

we should have all the finals at Sam Boyd!

you are going to be run out of Orem town with impure thoughts like that, ha!

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Finally went and watched hurricane after listening to there fans say how good they are. I wasn't that impressed, they would be on the bubble of making the playoffs in 5A

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Rio Tinto charges much, much more to hold football games than RES.

Here's an idea...move the Region 9 final to Sam Boyd Stadium!!! It's an hour closer and has good weather. The after game party would be better as well!!!

• firaman761 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 1:32 p.m.

There is no way enough seats at Dixie State for the championship game. Tonight's game will be SRO. Congrats to Hurricane and this is coming from a Thunder player's parent. You are a well coached team. See ya next week.

• ohiostatefan DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 1:31 p.m.

I would like to see RIo Tinto get the high school football games. The stadium the the U is so big that it lacks audience participation. I also think that the two schools in Staint George should be able to play the final at Dixie. Why drive to Salt lake then back! Go enjoiy the great weather and celebrate! I

• juan val dez Kanab, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 12:31 p.m.

I heard that they will not move the game down to southern utah becuase they have contract with kjazz to put the game on tv.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Another JD fan saying... Go win it Hurricane!

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 12:07 p.m.

I heard the state championship is going to be held at DSC or SUU. im glad to hear they made the common sense decision. good luck to hurricane, cedar, and desert hills

• EagleFan Lake Forest, CA
    Nov. 11, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Congrats to the Hurricane Tigers...NICE WIN. Ha Ha a 3 point win at that..how familiar is that?? ha ha. (different when you are on the winning side ehh??)

Where is Hamobull and USO....crow is a sour tasting meal....the Tigers deserve some congratulations...lets hear it.

Good luck in the Final Tigers...make the most of it!!

This is one JD EAGLE fan cheering for the TIGERS!!

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 11, 2011 11:41 a.m.

I started my teaching/coaching career at Spanish Fork, so I can feel for the Dons. (I hate to say that was 42 years ago). There is nothing that can lesson the hurt of losing such a great game. I think someone else already said it, but it came down to which team had the ball last. I hope it is time to "bust the door down" next week, no matter who we play. Way to go Tigers!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Here's hoping that Hurricane doesn't end up as the Buffalo Bills of Utah high school football (4 straight championship games, no titles) Fun game to watch, good luck Tiggers!

• seldomseenanderson HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:38 a.m.

* be much simpler :)

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Congratulations to Spanish Fork on a well-played game. They gave Hurricane a battle. From a fan's perspective, a GREAT game.

Congrats to the Tigers for accomplishing their fourth consecutive trip to the finals. Very workmanlike. Kudos to the coaching staff and props to the large Hurricane crowd who drove 300 miles to see the game!!! Very impressive!

• seldomseenanderson HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:26 a.m.

"For most of these kids..." they will play in a college stadium if they move the game to southern utah (Dixie State, or SUU).

It makes no sense to play this game at REC. The cost would be tremendous (gas for 10 + buses just to bus teams, bands, and student body) The economic cost for Washington County also huge (countless parents and fans missing work, countless parents and fans gas and food costs, countless....) It would much simpler to send a couple cameramen and announcers south rather than an entire community traveling north.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Congrats to Hurricane AGAIN, they look like a well oiled Machine. They just played very sharp and a matter of fact they were going to win. Finally will have a Region 9 champ. Once we make it a dynasty down here, college coaches may start pulling kids from down South.

• Utah Hs Sports Fan SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:49 a.m.

I believe so. I was was down on the field last night and after the game I over heard a convo that the uhsaa is already getting some series pressure to move the game. They said they will have to wiegh the options and see what they can do. It didnt sound very good but you never know. I personally as a kid would love to play at RES. Thats what you play for is to make it to the turf. For most of these kids it will be their only chance to play in a college stadium. Most wont play in college. I played at a 2a school and we played out state championship at SUU. It was great to play for a state title but would have been even better if would have got to play on the turf at RES. I know times are tough and hard to travel but for the kids sake it would be great to play there. Especially for a team like Cedar or DH who has never been there before. Great game! Hurricane is a very well coached and desiplined team disciplined. Baseball will be here soon enough Spanish.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:22 a.m.

I would have liked to see the Dons go all the way, but the Tigers really pulled it together there. Good luck to Hurricane in the finals!

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:44 a.m.

So is it true that the UHSAA is "contractually obligated to KJZZ" to have the 3A final at RES?

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Oh Jo Momma is throwin it down!

Great win for Hurricane. They are a tough group of kids. Spanish Fork is a great team and Hurricane pulled out the W. That shows how much these Hurricane kids want that title. I really hope the state title game will be Cedar vs. Hurricane at Hansen Stadium in St. George. That will be a Sweet Game!

Go Redmen.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Roses are red, violets are bigger, you shouldn't play, with a Hurricane Tigger.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:12 a.m.

@lonzo
    Yardley's interception was on the Dons sideline and it was the turnaround point for the Tigers. Thompson's interception was the one in the endzone right before half and you are absolutely correct that it saved the game. If we go down 28-14 at half I'm not sure we pull this one out.

• Sterl SPANISH FORK, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 1:12 a.m.

One of the best games I've seen in years. Congrats to the Tigers and way to go Dons! Hayden, you were amazing! Now let's get baseball season here!

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:47 p.m.

Impressive win Tigers! SF brought it tonight, and you didn't give in when it counted and now move on to yet another ( back-to-back-to-back-to-back ) trip to the 3A State Championship game... That in itself is impressive!

Many of us are a bit nostalgic and will be disappointed that we can't watch yet another exciting H-Town/JD match-up in the finals - but here's hoping for yet another classic championship game involving the Tigers, and that this year you can bring home the title!

To our Friends up in Spanish Fork - great game Dons! You showed why you belonged in the semi's with a gritty performance... You've done your School and Community proud with this impressive year of football - hold your heads high!

To Tiger Fans and Region 9 Fans - see you next Friday at the RES!!

• lonzo Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Scott was consistently great and SF had no answer for him, but Yardley saved the game with that huge interception in the end zone, so he gets my POG vote. If SF had scored a touchdown there, HHS could have easily been down 21 before they saw the ball again after SF got the ball in the 2nd half.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:25 p.m.

@samwise You sound like you've put the rivalries behind you (unless Dixies playing of course:)
    Great job tigers. Showed great poise tonight. Get healed and rested for next week. Scott was player of the game but Parkers dynamite passing opened everything up. Condor, Yardley, the line, actually everyone played large.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Go Region 9! I am a Dixie High alum, but since graduating I have put High School rivalries behind me for the most part (although I must admit I still enjoy seeing Snow Canyon lose). I am excited that whether it is Hurricane, Cedar, or Desert Hills, a Region 9 team will come away with the state championship this year. However, I must admit I would be even happier if it could have been my Flyers this year.

• juan val dez Kanab, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Way to go tigers. We made it back to the finals. On another note. Spanish Fork you played one heck of a game. I was really impressed with the quarterback. He knew where to put the ball, and made some great throws. They are a great team, and played their hearts out. my hats go off to them.