Sports

Utah basketball: Not the start, or finish Utes were looking for

Comments

• S.Hamala SANDY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 1:16 p.m.

It's going to be a long year.

Please get rid of the Runnin' UTES on the uniforms, there is nothin' runnin' about this team and it looks like something that should be on a 6th grade AAU uniform. I think UTAH is just fine on the jerseys. I guess it's better than U, US and the Wuss on the uni's, so sad when there's nothing else to talk about.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Nov. 7, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Wasn't Adams State in revenge of the nerds? Even Pac12 scrubs should beat the nerds. Oh well, tough year has already started on the hill.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 3:43 p.m.

@jenny83

Yes I know, 54-10, it was a bummer, still is. But of course utah is a D1 football program, Adams St is a division 3 nobody. When your program is losing to div 3 teams no one has ever heard of then you are officially terrible. Yes utah "fans" deserve it.

LOL!

• Doug Whitmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 10:46 a.m.

VAggie "BTW, Coach K is @ Duke. The U is in Miami." You also forgot, the 'Team Down South' is Ohio State.

Gotta love fans like News For U, who think the Utes are origional. Come on, hold your ringers and touch thumbs and make a U... you know like Miami copies now. The Utes should start the tomohawk chop, but as soon as they do someone like Florida State or the Atlanta Braves will copy that as well. LOL

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Lol, I get two responses to my post and they can be summed up as follows

1) there are more BYU fans than Utah fans (wow.....albert einstein would be proud. next,we are going to have people argue that the sun indeed rises in the east and sets in the west).

2) prove it. To you sir, I simply say, google is your friend!

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:22 p.m.

DuckHunter....and your team deserved 54-10

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:00 p.m.

This just may be an omen of things to come ... The roster has Xan Ricketts, who was a marginal player at Brighton HS a couple of years ago. He is now a Ute after spending last year averaging less than 2 points a game at Simon Fraser . (That's in Canada , folks ). The future looks bleak indeed .

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:44 p.m.

Adams State.....are you kidding me utes? hahahahahahaha, wow...it's going to be an awesome year...isn't it?

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 5:14 p.m.

VAggie

They don't even bother learning the coaches names anymore. They come and go too fast.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 4:26 p.m.

VAggie,
    Please don't brag up every aggie exploit in terms of the Spectrum. Are you saying that USU can win only in the Cache Valley? Great teams don't just win at home.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 3:43 p.m.

"I just made a mental mistake on my part," the guard from Maryland said. "I'm a freshman. I'm going to learn from it."

Maybe it was your fault. Did the coach tell how how many timeouts were left during the last timeout? If not, it is on him, too.

@Kosta, it might be "demonstrably false," I don't know, but if it is, demonstrate it.

• News For U Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 3:12 p.m.

@ VAggie

"BTW, Coach K is @ Duke. The U is in Miami".

There is no "U" in Miami! There is a "U" in Utah though!

• CougarClassic Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 3:05 p.m.

@Kosta.

...actually that is quite correct. While attendance slacked off, more fans would tune into a BYU basketball game than a Ute football game.....BYU just has a lot more fam support.

I am not one to translate that into a better overall program in Football....all it means is that BYU has more overall fan support tham does Utah.
    But hey, as Rainintime points out, the Utes gets more media support, at least locally, than does BYU, save KSL only.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Hmmm, hmm hmmm hm, hmmmmm, i am wondering juat how meaningless or meaningful this game is for the Utes? The local media always seem to be soft and quite the spin doctors for the Utes. That said, i hope the ute spin machine will call a spade a spade......this Ute basketball team will struggle to win even one game this year.
    HMMMMMMM
    Losing agaimst a D3 team is just not good for a once very proud program under the Buffett Mr. Majerus

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Maybe they should have White IVIV suit up?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 5, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Get healthy, learn from this exibition game, and prepare for the next one. It's going to be a long journey. Now let's see some wins!

Go Utes!

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Uteology
    the #1 player in the state will have transferred by the end of next season. Don't look too forward to that time.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:00 p.m.

"Even when the Cougs were 1-25 (many years ago), there was still good fan support"

demonstrably false.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:53 a.m.

BTW, Coach K is @ Duke. The U is in Miami.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:44 a.m.

If only 4 players are Boylen's then K brought in the rest.

I know, I know, the cupboard was VERY bare.

We just keep hearing the same thing every time a new coach comes in. Boylen was cleaning up the Giac mess. Now K is cleaning up the Boylen mess.

Who is next and how long with Utah fans give him to clean it up?

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:09 a.m.

Ute fan hold on tight, I had the chance to watch your team practice a couple weeks back at a coaching clinic. They will struggle and they will get blown out a lot. If Foster is out they will be dead last in college basketball.

I do like Coach.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Joe Schmoe | 10:28 a.m. Nov. 5, 2011
    Orem, UT
    So it has already begun.....

Give (insert new coach's name here) time to clean up (insert previous coach's name here) mess.

LOL Veritas....

"Give Coach K time to clean up Boylen's mess."

Only 4 of the players are Boylen's by the way.

===

Soooo...

You ARE saying the cupboards are bare.

And that will take time.

And, I assume that you understand it will take time to rectify the situation.

Soooo...

As you LOL, you are making my point.

Tell me, how long did you think it would take?

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:52 a.m.

LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:39 a.m.

@jenny83

It was exibition. Considering exibition games are supposed to be scheduled wins this doesn't bode to well for the regular season. Enjoy it, you ute "fans" have earned it.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:38 a.m.

How bout them Utes.

They're sure, movin on up...

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:28 a.m.

So it has already begun.....

LOL Veritas....

"Give Coach K time to clean up Boylen's mess."

Only 4 of the players are Boylen's by the way.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Hmm... so anyone want to retract the statement of UU being "too good" to play USU?? If this is the way UU plays, USU should only offer 2-1s.. They come to Logan twice and the SPECTRUM itself beats UU (no discredit to Thoseby and Co.) and then we go teach Loveridge why we offered him last, and open up the Spectrum- Salt Lake Center inside the Huntsman Center.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:14 a.m.

LOL

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Uteology

"We'll see how good Coach K really is by end of next season."

After one exhibition game loss, you're already looking ahead to the end of next season?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:02 a.m.

See I told you Jimmer was betterest.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:37 a.m.

I can't wait for December 10 to avenge the 44 point loss to the Utes FB team. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cougs topped the Utes by 44 in the Huntsman.

If the Utes don't get a win in one of their first four games, they could go winless for the season. Adams State may be the weakest team on the schedule. Although San Diego Christian College is not much better.

I hope the Ute fans will continue to support their team, even if they are 1-25 this year. Even when the Cougs were 1-25 (many years ago), there was still good fan support. The Ute fans completely gave up on the team last year. They need your support if they are going to rebuild.

I think it's very disrespectful to refer to Coach Krystkowiak as Coach K. There is and will ever be only one Coach K. If you don't know how to spell his name, U should refer to him as Coach Kry or K2. The name comparison does neither Coach K nor Coach Krystkowiak justice.

• Commontater Lehi, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:35 a.m.

OOPS!

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Was this a regular season, or preseason game?

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:55 a.m.

Considering the start to this year's schedule I'm sure Ute fans are glad Chris Hill took Utah State off their schedule. That was definitely the smart move.

Oh well, the Utes have 10 days to bounce back and get healthy and prepared for Sand Diego Christian College.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:02 a.m.

The great start was getting the #1 player in the State for the 2012 class.

It takes time to rebuild a program. If BYU can go from 1-25 I don't see why Utah can't rebuild. We're not in that bad of a shape. We'll see how good Coach K really is by end of next season.

Go Utes!!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Nov. 5, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Wow!

Utah and BYU both played poorly against teams they should have handled easily. I am disappointed to read of this loss. I hope Foster and the rest of the Utah team get healthy quickly.

I was pleased to read of the potential of a couple of the players. Looks like Coach K will have a long uphill battle this season in preparing his players for a better tomorrow.

I hope that Utah can find some answers quickly. . . and that the Cougars can do the same.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:04 a.m.

Give Coach K time to clean up Boylen's mess.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:56 p.m.

I think you are being extremely generous in saying this team wins 7 games. Although I may be giving the Pac a little too much credit. Arizona lost to a D2 team as well so maybe Utah can scrape out a few wins once they get into league play.

Is Adams St. a "research institution"? They looked like they belong with the Pac 12.

Ouch.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:24 p.m.

I was at the game, and there aren't any words to describe this team. We're a couple years away from competing at any level. Despite Storey's gaffe of a timeout call, he looks like a decent player. I liked what Coach K is doing, I think he has some good schemes but the players he has running his stuff wouldn't play for a local JuCo with the exception of a couple guys. Not that we expected anything different, but we could be in for a really long season. I hope I'm wrong. But if I were an odds maker, my over under on wins for this team would be 7.5.