Vai's View: Vai's View: Jake Heaps situation, Part II

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Nov. 7, 2011 3:33 p.m.

I don't really care one way or another if Prince Jake stays or goes. BYU is bigger than him. But if he decides to cut and run, the chances of it working out well for him drop dramatically. If he stays, red-shirts, works his backside off next year, and is the QB we all expected he could be in 2012, he has a credible chance to be right up there with Jim, Steve, and Ty. But the only way that happens is to stick it out jettison the 'tude and figure it out.

The only way out is through.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Nov. 7, 2011 2:20 p.m.

If Jake Heaps is as good as almost everyone said he was and Jake obviously thought he was, then he should stay at BYU and redshirt next year. Then he could have two years as a starter and would have the opportunity to prove just how good he really is. Somehow he will have to figure out how to inspire his fellow players so they will believe in him.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Heaps is young: there is plenty of time for him to develop and pick up where Nelson leaves off; AND there are other key players that came to BYU with Heaps because he encouraged them to do so. I think you are wrong on this one, Vai (It doesn't happen often).

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2011 8:09 a.m.

@ Ole Elpaso

Yes Riley could not fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

SJST Game hum boring Heaps could have won this game.

The beavers come on, cake walk for Heaps, he can scramble and create plays, and is a scoring machine inside the red zone, or as he call's it the blue zone because he is a true blue cougar.

ISU now this was a corn fed cake walk for the offensive wizard Heaps.

TCU no problem Heaps was ready to squash these toads last year.

So coach's where is the demi- god of the offensive college world Heaps.

On the bench where he belongs.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Nov. 7, 2011 3:47 a.m.

Vai, I think your suggestion is classless.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 6, 2011 9:46 p.m.

What has this coaching staff done to Heaps? The present QB starter is not a quarterback. He cannot throw downfield, he panics, he averages about 3 turnovers/potential turnovers a game. I'm glad Riley is a good guy, but I think the fans deserve a winner. Riley has never been a winner in college. Heaps is our best hope to win.

• Over the Top Rigby, ID
    Nov. 6, 2011 6:20 p.m.

I doubt the Utes would be interested in Heaps. Hays is looking better every game.

• Cougar Nation #1 Provo, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 5:56 p.m.

The problem isn't with Jake possibly redshirting. The problem is having a QB like Riley Nelson starting for a major college team. Riley Nelson is Tim Tebow with half the arm strength.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 6, 2011 12:53 p.m.

This topic opened the pandoras box. Heaps at QB produces a a whole Heap of questions.

• G-Force Washington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:43 p.m.

Vai is in a pickle here. If Jake were his son he would recommend keeping his options open to transfer. Okay, but what it really means is Vai has no confidence in Jake's future under the current HC and OC. If I'm Jake, I demand my agent/father open discussions with Salt Lake to have an inspired calling extended to Young and Detmer. The OC desperately needs to attend the "School of the Passers." Without the intense instruction, the program is doomed to years of mediocre QB play. These are years Jake, or any other QB, need not struggle through, since all we're really seeing is a mirror offense of the OC's playing days...which requires a tough running QB. Thanks Vai for an op/ed that helps us realize there isn't anything more important than politics (Gordon?), marriage and starting.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Seriously? Nelson dominates weak competition and got smacked by TCU. Give Jake a real QB coach and he will do just fine. Doman was never a pocket passer, how can one expect him to teach the game of staying in the pocket. Bring in Detmer and watch Heaps tear it up.

One last thing, Drew Miller could have been a great QB for BYU, but for some reason someone on the coaching staff was in love with Feterick.

• pb Vernal, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 4:48 p.m.

What a waste of time on Vai part to even comment on a subject that he is not even in control. I think it is totally in Heaps control on what he will do. I hope he red shirts and is able to contribute to BYU's program in his Junior and Senior year. He will be that much more mature.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2011 4:45 p.m.

In the imortal words of Esra's Grandson Steve "I don't aim to please, I just aim"

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 4:02 p.m.

One of Vai's Cousins | 12:38 a.m.
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Disagree with Vai all you want. But there is no question that his articles provoke a lot of discussion and passion."

One of Vai's cousins? Serious?

That would make you one of the elite one-million people that have eaten dinner with Vai.

Hey, I loved Vai as a player. I watched his sports program for a week this past summer in Philly, and I think Vai is a truly amazing person.

However, if the purpose is to provoke passion and discussion, we could talk death penalty, abortion, the War in Iraq, or even if Mormonism is a cult.

Vai was wrong to go where he went, and he should have either let it go, or aknowledged it, instead of arrogantly defending his position.

It is expected from Gordon Monson, but not Vai. He is the epitome of "never quit, never give up, never surrender".

I will always love the guy. My dad was Mission President in SDRC befor Vai, and I have this "distributive respect" for the guy.

But come on Vai, throw those of us that love you a bone.

Please, come clean on the issue.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 5, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Vai--your mission should be to lend support to your alma mater. You owe that to the school and church that made you famous. Suggesting that Jake should transfer to a school that represents so little of what you have pledged to honor is not being a very good missionary. Please don't plant propaganda like this is "our" newspaper.

PS--I don't believe any of this. I'm just subtexting my neighbors thought process. Good article, Vai! Keep 'em coming.

• ricecakes Murray, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 3:30 p.m.

All I know that every game Heaps played in this year was pure torture to watch. Ever since Riley Nelson came into the USU game, they have been FUN to watch. I vote for fun over torture.

Nov. 5, 2011 2:40 p.m.

As a Utah fan, I agree with idablu. This year would have been great to have Jake come in when Jordan got hurt. But I think everyone is writing Jordan off prematurely. He will have two years of eligibility remaining. Anyone who is close to Utah football at all knows that Jordan is the undisputed leader of the offensive team there. That's why he was chosen as captain this year as a Junior over several other seniors on the team. His 40 time is not desirable, he doesn't pack 240 lbs of muscle on his frame, and he can't bomb the ball 60 yards downfield, but he is smart, he is accurate and he will give the team the best chance at winning for the next two years. I just don't see Jake thinking Utah is his best chance to play by the team his redshirt transfer year would be up in 2013. His only hope would be for Jordan to get injured again and that's only if he beats out Wilson, Hays, Robles and whoever else they might have picked up since then.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 5, 2011 1:37 p.m.

I don't always agree with you, but your analyses and arguments are very sound and your wit very sharp. You make me laugh. I really enjoy reading your posts, man. I would hate to debate you.

Although I think you have Vai pretty well pegged, I mostly agree with him on this issue. I bought the Heaps hype initially just like everyone else, but based on all the evidence, good and bad, I just don't think Heaps is or ever will be the great QB he was hype up to be. OK, he's got great mechanics and a strong arm. But being a D-1 QB is so much more than that.

Nelson is a tough playmaker who makes bad decisions sometimes. Time and experience will help that a lot. What is broken with Heaps, time and experience can't heal, in my opinion. Chow might make him a better QB, but they have some quality players in the pipeline in that position. They could probably use him right now but not 2 yrs from now.

Having said this, an article like this from Vai is not productive and can be damaging to both Jake and BYU.

Nov. 5, 2011 12:49 p.m.

To my friend Escondido, CA -- No, Im not kidding. When I played at BYU (practice squad) back in the 70s I too was caught up in the hype of football. The pressure on student athletes then was far less than it is today. But I think back on that experience and it almost make me chuckle, realizing today that there are far, far more important aspects of life than football, an NFL contract and $$$. No my friend, I am not kidding. Jake is a kid, I have three sons who are all married, two are over 30 and yes they are still kids, learning and grappling with starting a family, getting an education and serving others and their God. Perhaps my 82 year old father sees me as a kid. I think to him I am and should be. I dont have near the life experiences that he does. I surmise my friend that you are also a kid. So, lets all leave the Jake Heaps, only a kid, alone.

• whynot67 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:39 a.m.

I think Jake needs to stay put. Going to Utah is not the answer. He needs fire in and emotion in his game. He displayed that during his freshman year. He was excited to be playing and it showed in his performance. The games he started this season he looked lost and emotionless on the field. What Jake needs is a quarterbacks coach who is there for him (where is Ty Detmer when you need him?) Brandon Doman is new to the OC job and should not have been allowed to split his focus. I think Jake was also the victim of his own hype. He is still young and learning the speed of the game. If he can check his ego and maybe redshirt next year, assuming Nelson stays healthy, then he will have an amazing two years as the undisputed leader of the team. Hang in there Jake. You have plenty of fans and a great future!

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Smurf Ute; Jake Heaps played the hard part of the schedule, Nelson took over just in time for the patsies. Can't wait to see if Utes will win even 1 game in the Pac 12, i'm betting no.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:56 a.m.

Jake is going to still be a grreat QB, even if BYU has done everything they could to screw him up!

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Jake is a fake a phony who thought he could come to BYU and alienate himself from the rest of the team simply because he was this awesome high school QB and that his mighty shadow of fame would be enough for his team mates.

It is sad that Heaps naively approached this huge stage with some very bad advice that subsequently exposed his lack of true leadership skills. I feel sorry for Heaps.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Big Cougar: Byu's line isn't any better than Utah's. They are both bad.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Once Vai said he wad friends with Gordon Monson, I lost a lot if respect for him. Comparing Jake to the USC transfers is ridiculous. Jake will have to redshirt next year if he transfers or stays at BYU. Makes no sense to leave and learn a new offense. The only reason he would leave is if he thinks he couldn't beat out Lloyd or Mangum at QB. Once again all this pointless transfer talk does is stirs the pot, and forces Jake out of BYU. How would you like it if someone started rumors about you leaving your job, to work elsewhere. All of a sudden you labeled as not happy and dissatisfied, even though it might not be true.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 6:35 a.m.

I guess it depends on whether Heaps wants to be serious about football or be a cog in some missionary program masquerading as football.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 4:14 a.m.

It's easy to say he should transfer but I've found in life (most cases) that the grass really isn't greener on the other side. I think most QB's who transfer have found out the same thing.

I hardly think Vai's example of Todd Mortenson is a great example of transfer success. If all you want to do is play football then it's okay to drop down a level or two but for competitive guys they typically want to prove themselves at the highest level, not against inferior competition.

For Max Hall, transferring worked out great but he was tremendously lucky. You don't always have the fortuitous timing that Hall had. For every Max Hall there's a Mike Affleck, Danny Southwick, Cade Cooper, Jake Bower, Ben Olsen, Ryan Perrilloux, Mitch Mustain, Rhett Bomar, etc etc etc.

I think you're always going to be better off staying put and knuckling down and working harder. Some guys shy away from hard work and don't have the grit, drive or determination to compete. Maybe it's because they got used to having things handed to them. Jake has a chance to show what he's made of.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 3:55 a.m.

No, Bronco played safety in college, not LB.

"My worry is that Tysom Hill may reconsider and go back to Stanford after his mission seeing the sorry state of the BYU offense under Coach Mendenhall"

I think Taysom is more likely to look at the situation at BYU as being ripe for the picking if the right guy comes along and I'm sure he thinks he's the right guy.

@Ernest T. Bass
    "Jake, go to Utah but learn to take a hit first."

Yes, with the utes terrible offensive line you won't last long if you can't take a few hits. You can challenge Jon Hays to see who can throw the worst interceptions.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 1:04 a.m.

Coaching change ? Lets see, did the coaching change only happen to Jake ? I think the whole team had a coaching change including Nelson, Lark and Munns, I fail to see how the coaching change only affected Heaps negatively.

The real issue is when you blow your own horn in the face of your team mates they will disrespect you. That is why Heaps should transfer.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 5, 2011 1:04 a.m.

It would have to be somewhere other than Utah. Why would Utah want him? Moreover, they have someone coming in next year. Heaps may need to step down a notch in order to play (a WAC or Mountain West team). I doubt a PAC 12 team would be interested. Vai is right, he needs to act quickly in order to play some football. Transferring would be the smart thing for him to do. If he doesn't play, he doesn't develop. There is still a chance for him to be a good quarterback.

• One of Vai's Cousins Nairobi, Kenya
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:38 a.m.

Some thoughts:

1. Disagree with Vai all you want. But there is no question that his articles provoke a lot of discussion and passion. Isn't that what being a sport's fan is all about?

2. I agree that transferring is every player's right and there is nothing wrong with it at all. Regular college students transfer all the time.

3. I strongly believe that Heaps would be far better served to stay, redshirt, continue to improve, and he very well may have a fantastic junior and senior season. Despite his current limitations, he still possesses the best pure passing arm of any QB to step foot in Provo.

4. The "man-crush" comments are humorous (and not far off). Mendenhall seems to be a great combination of mission president and defensive coordinator. But I'm not sure he has big-time head coaching abilities.

5. Ben Olson comparisons are inevitable. But don't forget his failings were purely due to multiple injuries. He actually won the starting QB position at a PAC 10 school 3 seasons in a row. Ironically, both Olson and Heaps look like NFL QBs when throwing in shorts and tee-shirts. Heaps still can become one.

• Big Pappy west jordan, utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:14 a.m.

Really Vai? You should probably keep your nose out of it. It's pretty hard to know what's going on here when you are 2500 miles away. You are in Philly and that's way to far from the BYU program for you to access any thing the team does. Concentrate on Philly sports and keep out of the Y's business. Just because you attended BYU doesn't mean you have a say in wehat goes on there. Do you even know Jake Heaps? Let him and his parents make the decision on what is best for him. Between you and Gordon Monson, I don't know who is the bigger Jughead. Gordon never took a snap in his life and Vai is thousands of miles away trying to tell Jake what is best for him. WHAT A JOKE!

• yourstruly PAUL, ID
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:01 a.m.

BYU will not likely lose Tanner Mangum who is like Jake Heaps a died in the wool BYU fan with family that played there. My worry is that Tysom Hill may reconsider and go back to Stanford after his mission seeing the sorry state of the BYU offense under Coach Mendenhal who seems to love slow down ball control so his defense doesn't have to take the field and get scored on so much. I guess I am also pretty upset with the coaching staff for last year's Utah game when a young Jake Heaps had a flawless game only being allowed to pass on 3rd and long and being nearly perfect against a good defense. That game cemented my reservations about Coach Mendenhal's ability to ever develop a passing game.

Hey maybe he is the kind that just wants his defense to beat his offense in practice or something. He is obviously an excellent defensive coach but deserves a failing grade for the development of his offensive line and offense.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:51 p.m.

"That's jumping the shark, don'tcha think?"

Yet, you enjoyed jumping shark so much last week there Brother "Fonz", you came back for a second round?

And, what is sad, you wrote nothing more in your second blog than drop a few more names of people who are like family to you, and compared apples to oranges.

Sure, players transfer all the time, but they don't need unsolicited opinions from former athletes who profess themselves above all of the politics.

"Make no mistake, I'm a BYU guy." "BYU often calls on me for various things."

Do you really buy any of your own comments? Is your ego really that big?

If Jake decided to go to Utah, USU, or the University of San Diego, many BYU fans would feel the pain, but would wish him well.

However, you are asking everyone who reads the Deseret News to suspend their critical thinking skills to buy into your unbiased rhetoric, that Utah is the place to be.

Neither BYU, or Utah fans are buying what you are selling, because you have fallen prey to pride, believing that everything you say should and will become Biblical canon.

Lose the BYU hat. It's too small.

• yourstruly PAUL, ID
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Play action never works when you have no running game.
    I kind of like the evolution of thought on Jake Heaps. Real football minds understand that Riley Nelson is not the answer, the offensive line is very weak, and BYU will never succeed to past glories unless they become a pass first team.
    I agree with numerous posts that the coaching staff and players owe Jake a huge apology making him the scapegoat for their deficiencies. Normally I like Vai but my main fault with him is lack of preparation. There are few if any real football minds outside of Utah who would put the Lone Peak kid within 50 quarterbacks on a rating scale of either Tanner Mangun-Elite 11 MVP or Tysom Hill who is an Oliver Luck clone only faster. Duh- ever wonder why he is going to Utah Vai???

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:24 p.m.

Part 2

I find your evaluation of BYU as a clearinghouse for a spouse to be a huge insult to the institution. It is undeniably a wonderful place for a college age and marriageable person to associate and socialize with peers of similar moral values and spiritual aspirations, but it is far more than that. BYU is a world class university, as well as being run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That makes it a much better place to transfer to from ANYWHERE for any earnest young person, athlete or not. A transfer too BYU from elsewhere is a far higher likelihood of an improvement for the transferee than not. Vai, BYU offers Jake and everyone else far more of the lessons that matter most in life than he (they) can get anywhere else. I'm sorry you missed that when you were there.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:23 p.m.

First of all I think you misread the situation at BYU. Riley's senior year would be Jake's redshirt year, so that little "problem" clears itself by attrition. There is no "we hate Jake" movement that will keep him from ever being the team leader. He needs to perform his way into it, like anybody else. He did not lose his place as a starter because the team didn't like him. He was replaced because he wasn't doing the job, plain and simple. It's his to win back, and if he pushes himself and does so, I'm betting that he will discover team, coaching and fan support like he has never even dreamed of. Jake has a lot to offer if he'll make it happen, and everyone loves a comeback kid.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:27 p.m.

Your long winded comments have filled two different columns in this newspaper. Now it's time to be quiet on this subject and start talking about something else. You've states your opinion. Not all of us agree. I would love to see that strong arm of Jake Heaps throwing completed passes again for BYU.

Go Cougars!

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Packrat said: "Not to mention that he has been the scape goat for poor offensive play calling and a completely inept running game at the beginning of the year."

Actually, Heaps bears some blame - he doesn't know how to run an effective play-action fake. Riley does, and the running game is doing much better as a result. That's just one portion of it - Heaps doesn't like to line up under center, so the defense just tees off and rushes 7, because they know he's throwing from the shotgun.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:21 p.m.

I have lost all respect for Via.

• TamaSamoa Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:52 p.m.

@ Naval Vet: Jake wouldn't dare join a Pac-12 bottom feeder. Enjoy the Maaco Bowl...or the toilet bowl if you're lucky.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:48 p.m.

I don't like the Utes, but I agree with Vai that Heaps will never land on his feet in the BYU depth chart. I'm not sure he should be ahead of James Lark right now. At this point, he needs to make a decision for himself and if it's Utah, go for it. At least Jake's family, who moved to Utah, will still be close and he will have a reasonably good OC in Norm Chow. I also think Kyle will toughen him up, though that is the aspect of his current game that I predict will always be lacking.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Mike Johnson | 3:55 p.m. Nov. 4, 2011
    Stafford, VA
    "I said this last week. Heaps should go on a mission and reset and figure out what his options are after that"

Uhmmm, if you really followed BYU football and was not just a fair weathered fan, you would already know that Heaps got married this year therefore, a mission is not even an option.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:38 p.m.

seems like Vai is friends with everyone or family with everyone.. the name dropping left and right is annoying.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:21 p.m.

Jake, go to Utah but learn to take a hit first.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Vai, just leave the kid alone. The articles almost amount to directing the kid or incfluencing a decision. The kid is 19--let him be, most kids have tough decisions and don't need others to comment. Let it be..

• Victor Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:12 p.m.

What happens when you have an GREAT defensive coach trying to be a Head Coach and mentor the Offensive Coordinator at the same time? The QB that resembles the qualities of a Linebacker gets preference. Didn't Bronco play LB? Interesting. Maybe Heaps should transfer or Bronco needs to stick to the defense.

• Archi Mclean, VA
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:03 p.m.

Jonathan Eddy,

Great point. It is silly to look at the way BYU's offense performed early this year as the only measuring stick for how Heaps can compete. Look at what he did as a FRESHMAN when the coaching staff supported him. I don't think he will transfer, but I would not blame him if he considered it. Munns and Lark are not bad either and still deserve a fair chance too. But again, there are more problems than who the QB might be at the time. Just treat each QB by the same standard regardless of the man-crush.

• Archi Mclean, VA
    Nov. 4, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Your making way too much sense now cut it out.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 6:23 p.m.

I am ashamed to call myself a BYU fan. Everyone loved Heaps last year, especially at the end of the year. Everyone called him the next great quarterback during the off season and had high hopes for him. Then, after only 4.5 games (against the toughest part of their schedule this year) he struggled and everyone turned against him. And what's worse is everyone shuns him for a horrible quarterback in Riley because he has more success than Heaps did (against horrible teams). How did Riley look against TCU? Three interceptions, two of which were in the red zone! Why didn't anyone pull Riley then and put in Lark? I sick of the Nelson love fest! Its rediculous. If Heaps transferred to Utah, I and many other fans would transfer with him. I hate the direction BYU is going. Nelson is not good for BYU and Bronco can't figure out how to be a head coach. I hope Heaps does leave. He doesn't deserve the way BYU has treated him. And I hope all the players that Heaps helped recruit to BYU leave with him.

• twb kennewick, wa
    Nov. 4, 2011 6:03 p.m.

my opposition to vai's article was the implied notion that young people should only come to byu to find a spouse, and then transfer, especially athletes. i'm glad my children didn't grow up in vai's stake or ward if thats the counsel he'd give. byu is so much more than utah or any other college campus will ever be.........in every aspect of college and life.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:42 p.m.

@ everyone. Heaps is the scapegoat for Doman and Bronco. Nelsen is the man-crush.

@ Cats Wise Counsel

@ Jonathan Eddy "Vai, I love you man, but you are dead wrong on this one. This entire team and coaching staff needs to apologize to Heaps for being responsible for his seat on the bench"

True dat. He has been the lighting rod for the shocks others deserve.

On the other hand, he did
    A) disappear on an INT at Ole Miss,
    B) look ridiculous on the botched snap in the 1st quarter against Utah.
    Still, this is for sure a year that "he who is without sin" should cast the first stone, and he's no more liable this year than a couple dozen other players. Leaders on the team and coaching staff should encourage him. If there are any.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:40 p.m.

@texlds, awesome comment. BYU doesn't have a QB problem, they have denial problem. They are in denial about the abilities of their head coach and OC.

@Packrat, Not only does Bronco have a man-crush, he wants his QB to "Be aggressive" like a defensive player. Note to Bronco: Turnovers are a BAD think inside the blue zone when YOUR QB makes them.

@aunt lucy, Vai's dad taught "be tough," and Vai talks tough, be he doesn't preach touch, just brags about it. Constantly.

@ C. Mayberry, You are expecting a level of analysis we aren't seeing from this coaching staff. Bronco thinks it is all about "attitude," and "heart." Makes me want to gag. It is about scheme, execution, Vai's-dad kind of tough, and game day adjustments. We haven't seen those this year.

@ Fred Vader: "If you were to swap out for Heaps right now, he would do just as well as Nelson for the rest of the season. However, as someone else pointed out Bronco has a "man crush" on Nelson, and not Heaps, and that is the real issue for Heaps." Ditto.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:33 p.m.

@BYU JOE
    I beg you, leave the humor to the professionals.

• greenshovel SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Is Jake really good at golf? I wonder because with his arm strength, he could probably hit the ball pretty far. That's no guarantee that you'll get into the money rounds, but it certainly can't hurt.
    If I played golf a lot, I'd probably buy some of those nice leather hats that go over each club. Kind of like those old-school football helmets.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Re: kburr "Leave the kid alone. cease with the cutting inscriptions. He is just a boy. He's younger than my youngest child. this is but a bunch of college age kids playing a game. Jake has already went through a lot of stressful instances to this point, he's a kid just a boy, leave him be. Sometime we tend to forget these things and become too wrapped up, fanatical about the school BYU (or any other) and its students. They are just kids. They will grow up and experience real stress soon enough, but for now, leave them alone and let them "play."

You're kidding, right? Dude's married; Dude is not a kid. Give me a break. Plus I highly doubt any of the players pay much attention at all to these articles in the first place. And they're certainly not going to read viewer comments. The viewer comments are for us, as fans, to communicate our passion/views about sports. Oh, and excuse me in advance for questioning any of these other 22-25 year old kids.

With that being said, I do agree with comment to let them "play." Let's play well, indeed. Go, Cougs!!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Hey Brave Sir Robin:

remember the other day when you posted something to the effect of: "daily dnews article of BYU going to an AQ conference: check."?

Well now we can add the Jake Heaps transfer rumor article to the checklist.

• genielson EAST WENATCHEE, WA
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I think a great deal of my anxiety and frustration over Jake's situation is a worry not that Jake has "given up," but that maybe BYU had given up on him. I can't help but remember last season, the fan reaction to Riley's inability to move the ball consistently, and how when he was injured Jake took over and did really well. Jake was definitely #1 with fans and media supporters from then on, right up until about this season's second game. Then suddenly "Jake has to go!" became the common mindset... It's not just that our fans seem to be so fickle, but as a behavioral health professional, I have to wonder about what's changed with Jake's emotional status and his own "grit" that everyone keeps applauding Riley for. I've had the pleasure of living in Washington the last few years and am familiar enough with Jake's background to know he's not one to "take a dive" when the going gets tough...at least that's not in his personality, historically. What's being done by BYU to address those intangible issues? What has beaten down his confidence and his emotional equilibrium and native toughness? Just some thoughts for consideration.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:46 p.m.

I have not read all the comments, if this has been said before Im sorry. This is for Vai.

Here's the deal, I am shocked you havent taken this into account. So, hypothetically Jake transfers to Utah. He sits next year. While he sits Jordan Wynn and Travis Wilson battle for the starting spot. I would put money on Travis Wilson to be the starter next year, but you never know. Even if Travis only gets a little game time experience here and there, it puts him in great shape going into the 2013 season, Jakes first season back and eligible.

What happens then if Jake takes a back seat to Travis Wilson at that point, Vai? Transfer to USU? C'mon.

There are no guarantees anywhere, and Jake would do himself proud to stick it out in a BYU uniform and work his behind off to be the QB HE thought he was going be coming out of HS.

Your examples of others transfering to BYU have little relevance because those players are as good or better than any player at their position at BYU. They knew they would get playing time. Jake doesnt have that luxury.

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:30 p.m.

@amicus: I agree with you. If Doman went through turmoil over where to position himself during a game, think what other turmoil he's dealing with. He's admitted the pressure of OC is much greater than he expected. He was as brash as Heaps going into this year and fueled a lot of Heaps attitude. If Heaps sits a year Doman will have another year of experience, too, helping both of them. BYU could use a dedicated QB coach. Detmer would be great, but Doman would be too threatened.

@The Rock: Push that big button on the roster Web site that says "Sophomore" and you'll see that it isn't saying Nelson is a sophomore in eligibility, it's a summary of his sophomore (2009) season performance. His freshman year was at USU, 2009 was his sophomore year, 2010 was his redshirt year, and 2011 is his junior year, as listed in the roster.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:57 p.m.

I think Vai hit it right on the head. Nice job bro, Cheehoo!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:55 p.m.

This year:

Hays (Utah): 53 of 92 for 628 yards (5.7 yds/attempt) and 3 TDs, with 7 ints in 5 games for a QB rating of 110.5
    Heaps (BYU): 108 of 196 for 1029 yards (5.3 yds/attempt) and 3 TDs, with 6 ints in 6 games for a QB rating of 98.1

So, the argument basically is that because Hays (thrust upon less prepared than he should have been) is bad, Heaps would have to be an improvement for Utah. But, given what they both have done this year, Hays would probably beat Heaps anyway, just as he continues to lead other QBs on the current depth chart.

I said this last week. Heaps should go on a mission and reset and figure out what his options are after that. But, as Riley is eligibility wise a junior (as the BYU page says), Heaps could redshirt next year and could compete again to start as a junior with eligibility and remain an insurance policy while gaining maturity.

I also agree with statements that too much hype was placed on Heaps and that created impossible expectations.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:45 p.m.

Don't pin Jake's deficiencies this year totally on Jake. This year's team DEMANDS a scrambling, run for your life quarterback like Nelson. In my opinion, BYU football as a whole this year is undisciplined. The O line is a sieve. The OC is a pup that does not know his way around yet. The head coach is a deer looking into headlights and hasn't learned how to properly discipline players for lack of excellence.

Jake will thrive when he is surrounded by truly talented players that know how to execute (sorry for the Broncoism) and talented coaches that know how to keep a future great stay in the pocket quarterback from getter his head knocked off. Give Heaps more than one second to dump a pass or go into the fetal position and you will see the talent that was promised two years ago. He shouldn't have to get beat up to prove he's a man or that he belongs in the starting rotation.

Vai, I love you man, but you are dead wrong on this one. This entire team and coaching staff needs to apologize to Heaps for being responsible for his seat on the bench.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Riverton Cougar,

The difference is Travis Wilson will be coached by Norm Chow, Jake Heaps wasn't.

• VictorVonTrap Draper, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:41 p.m.

The smartest thing Heaps can do is transfer. The Y's coaching and offense does not fit Heap's in the pocket style. He needs to go to a west coast style offense.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Transferring to Utah won't make Jake suddenly older, more mature, more experienced or more able to deal with the stress of the job. If he transferred he would have to wait another year to play. If he redshirts at BYU next year, he can start his junior and senior years.

The kid has wanted to play at BYU his whole life. There's absolutely NO reason for him to tranfer to Utah or anywhere else. He just needs to be patient, gain some confidence and wait a while.

Nov. 4, 2011 3:17 p.m.

• wimmer33 clearfield, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:12 p.m.

Not to make this an argument but Rock, Riley is a Junior. Let tell you how. Playeed Freshman year played at Utah State. went on two year mission. Sophmore year was Max Hall's backup, scored in Oklahoma game. Last season was his Junior year got hurt gave medical redshirt. This season Junior year so next season would be his Senior season. So he only has one year left after this season. not two

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I agree that Heaps should transfer to another team. The volleyball team sounds best because then we wouldn't have to deal with his aversion to opposing players touching him.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Jake needs to stay. He's the future. He'll do some great things at ABA his junior and senior year, after redshirting. There is no way anyone else can challenge him when he is a redshirt junior. Who else is there? Mangum? He'll be on his mission and young as well. Lark? No.
    Heaps is the future. Just got to give him some time.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:08 p.m.

"I stand by my column and my opinion." As you should, Vai. The other readers/comments aren't catching what you're saying. There is NO WAY that Heaps stays at BYU unless he's "the guy." He's not going to sit or take a redshirt year, which hardly ever happens for a QB into their college career, to wait for Nelson to graduate. This is now Nelson's car to drive. It's so blatently obvious that the Cougs coaching staff (Bronco and Doman) has lost confidence in Heaps. They'll never say that publicly, but actions speak louder than words. I consider myself a big Cougs fan, but I think other fans have to accept reality.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Re: The Rock,

Riley is a Junior this year in eligibility. If not for the medical redshirt last year, he'd be a Senior this year. I'm not sure how you read he's a sophomore in eligibility on BYU's website because I just checked it out myself.

• azjim GILBERT, AZ
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:01 p.m.

As a writer i know it's fun to sit around and speculate about other peoples lives and decisions, I was at BYU when you were. Nobody gave Steve Young a chance at starting behind Jim Mcmahon, Gym Kimball, Eric Krysmarcyk etc. Yet he persevered. The rest is history. Loyalty to BYU is not based on self interest. Some of us love the Y in all aspects, not just a place for Johnny Lingo to spend his cows. Jake will prove he is a team player,work out hone his skills and fight for his job. Jake is a winner and will prove to be one of the greatest of all time! Jake is only a sophomore, what if THE JIMMER transferred after his sophomore year. I think it's funny that you claim to be a cougar yet your tone is other than True Blue.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:58 p.m.

I have been saying it a lot longer than Monson or Vai, he needs to transfer (not to Utah) but a school that coach this kid, and Brandon is not his answer. It's not to put down Coach Doman but he needs to be coached up as well as get away from 95% of these BYU fans who don't get it.

I really am ready for this season to end. And I know I will hear it from some on how I am not a fan or a hater. But get real, I am tired of this below average season against below average teams.(yes! Playing with a below average QB)

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:52 p.m.

"Travis Wilson, 6'6" 210 lb., Utah recruit in San Clemente, CA is having a stellar Sr season (8-1) and is committed to enroll at Utah in January 2012 and be on the field for spring football. He talks to Norm Chow every week and is absolutely committed to Utah and looking forward to moving here after the first of the year. He is the big, strong proto-type PAC 12 QB. With Chase Hanson also coming on board I don't think there is room or a need for Jake Heaps at Utah. Sorry to disappoint."

Have you considered that the same things were said about Heaps? Stellar senior year, totally committed and excited, etc. What's my point?
    1) There is no guarantee that Wilson will be as good as advertised, especially right off the bat.
    2) Heaps obviously has potential, and I can almost guarantee that we have not seen the best of Jake Heaps. He's still got 2 more years to prove how good he can be, and I wouldn't put it past him to show us what he's got.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:50 p.m.

@Naval Vet
    "Don't come to Utah Jake. The Pac-12 isn't for everybody.

Yea! just ask the whole Ute football program.

• BYU Grad Alpine, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Vai got so much attention from his last post that he is back for more. It is clear from his post that he also reads the comments. It is also clear from this post that he is (1) stubborn and (2) not about to admit there was anything wrong with his last silly - draw attention to himself post.

I, for one, am quite disappointed.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:35 p.m.

I would like for Heaps to stick around, but I won't be disappointed if Heaps decides its best for him to transfer somewhere else. It is just football for me and not a life altering event.

However, other posters have made some good points. Last year Nelson struggled at the first of the year, and Heaps came in and shined against the weaker opponents. This year Heaps struggled and Nelson is shining against the weaker opponents.

Neither has been stellar against real competition. The TCU game seriously exposed Nelson in my opinion, but he will still look like a star the rest of the season against the remaining weaker opponents.

If Heaps sticks around, I think he can seriously challenge for the starting spot next season, if he can find a way around the "man crush". Otherwise, I think the "redshirt" is the best option.

• C. Mayberry LYNDEN, WA
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:31 p.m.

The fundamental question for Heaps (and every other incoming quarterback) is whether Doman's offensive scheme requires a running quarterback. It very well may be possible that no drop back passer is going to be highly successful in Doman's scheme. The other factor not being taken into account is that during Heaps time as a starter the running game averaged less than 100 yards a game, in the last 4 it is well over 200 yards a game. Heaps is getting blamed for an ineffective offense, but I highly doubt you can blame him for the lack of a running game. BYU looks better offensively now, but that is likely because of the emergence of a running game, not a different quarterback (although some of that could be attributable to Riley's ability to run, hence the initial point). If BYU needs a running quarterback to facilite more running offense, and therefore more offense, then he needs to transfer to a school that needs a pocket passing quarterback.

• stan Lehi, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Jake will eventually do whatever he decides to do, but my problem with you, Vai, and anyone else who publicly suggests that Jake transfers to [fill in the blank] is that talk like that borders on tampering. While there are obvious differences between coaches talking about it, and the media talking about it, it still is against the spirit of the NCAA rules which requires permissions, and imposes a pretty stiff penalty for football transfers. Privately, you should speak your mind. Publicly, you are walking a tightrope on this point. Not to mention distancing yourself from your alma mater. That may be what this is all about, anyway, right? Trying to improve your media credentials with supposed neutrality.

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:55 p.m.

Man aren't we a bunch of over-reactors. The going is a little tough so let's jump ship. If everyone in college sports who went through something similar struggles transferred to another school to solve his problem, we have to update rosters every week. Let Heaps show some character and backbone. Let him grow and mature as a person and as a quarterback and no matter what happens, he will be just fine at BYU. His chance could come at any play with an injury or mayne his next chance will next fall in camp. Still, It's not like Nelson has this thing locked up for good. He's looked good at times and at times not so good. All Heaps has to worry about is Heaps. When he takes care of that, Nelson is in trouble cause on the potential scale, Nelson can't compete. Time to relax, sit back, and let's see what this kid is made of.

• cemadsen Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Vai, I am a big fan and enjoy your articles. However, I respectfully disagree with your opinion that Jake should transfer to Utah. If he transfers to another FBS school he will have to redshirt next year regardless, so why not redshirt next year as a BYU Cougar? He would then, in all likelihood, be the odds on favorite to start in 2013 and by staying he would show a great deal of maturity and loyalty in that he is not just going to jump ship on the program because he lost his starting job. I believe he should stay the course, work hard, and seek to prove the naysayers wrong. Ultimately he needs to do what he determines is best for him and his family, but he absolutely still has the opportunity to be a very successful QB at BYU.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Actually victor; Riley Nelson got a medical red shirt last year. Yes, Riley is a Junior but he is a sophomore in eligibility. I checked it out on the BYU web site because I had my doubts. Sure enough, Riley has two years after this to play.

• AnH Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:47 p.m.

A very fair argument. I find the situation hard to judge since I really don't have any idea what's happening behind the scenes. Vai said more than once that to transfer is no easy task and certainly not the path all should take. He also made a strong point that BYU has prospered from transfers. Good luck to Jake whatever he chooses to do.

• Packrat South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:41 p.m.

As a huge BYU Fan, I am a big believer in Heaps. Unfortunately, I don't think the coaching staff at BYU has handled him very well.. He is very talented but he is also young and is used to playing the spread offense. He needed a full-time QB coach to help him along while trying to install a new offense. Now his confidence is shaken which is only propounded by the fact that Bronco has a total Man Crush on Riley Nelson... Not to mention that he has been the scape goat for poor offensive play calling and a completely inept running game at the beginning of the year. Bottome line I hope like crazy Heaps can get it back and doesn't transfer but I won't blame him if he does. Vai is right, it doesn't make him a quitter any more than Riley Nelson, Fangupo, Uale, Kaveinga or any other player that transferred TO BYU.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:41 p.m.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:39 p.m.

"It's a shame we don't all possess your positive knowledge of what is right and what is wrong..."

--Inherit the Wind

• texlds Dallas, TX
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Jake needs to go where he'll get the right coaching. BYU's coaches talk a good game about that BYU special sauce, but at the end of the day it takes excellence and competence, not special sauce.

I mean, one really shouldn't take a head coach salary then excuse losses by saying it is about missionary work. If it is about missionary work then take a CES salary and do what you can to win. If you want the head coach salary, fine. But then you are being paid to win games and you better win.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:38 p.m.

I think it is about time that you should go back to the east coast. enough of the condecending remarks and opinions about certain football programs. I am glad for your life but not to the point of looking down on others like you are better than they are. the universities are trying their best to build some stability for their their student athletes. what they will do is for the good of their students and not to please your ego.

Nov. 4, 2011 1:26 p.m.

If I were Jake Heaps, for selfish reasons I would want to find a school that would start me every Saturday. BYU is not going to recommend this or support this...why? Because if Riley gets hurt, then BYU will be in the same boat that Utah is in right now. Utah shot itself in the foot by not having more depth at QB and we are now experiencing how crappy that can be. As damaging as it will be to his pride, he should redshirt at the end of this season, hit the weights, and stay a positive, contributing member of that squad and things will turn around for him. Will the BYU fanbase want to lynch Riley Nelson if he has a bad game against NM? YES! Bide your time young Heaps, your days throwing the ball at BYU aren't over. My $.02

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I'm sensing Vai doens't like that taste of leather in his mouth.

This article is a poor attempt at a presumptuous previous rant. Nobody left USC or other programs because they got benched, which is what Vai was saying about Heaps. Heaps is still in the mix in a big way at BYU and young man cougar fans love. We know he will make his mark.

I have never, ever seen a new reporter suggest a high caliber athlete transfer to a rivals school just because he got benched. Now if Heaps was 3 or four on the depth chart that would make perfect sense. But he's not and Vai fumbled real bad on this one.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:08 p.m.

I love how people think Vai is writing articles to stir the pot. Seriously, that is an insult to him. Its one thing to disagree. Its another to take petty cheap shots. grow up.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I don't think Heaps would start at Utah either, with Chase Hansen and others on the horizon Heaps may as well just get his degree at BYU and be happy he got a free education.
    Some players have it and some don't, unfortunately for Heaps he doesn't have the tangibles that enable him to lead or to compete at a high level. Utah would never put him on the field, they saw first hand his folding act when they played them earlier this year.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:02 p.m.

If he didn't have to wait a year I'd be fine with him transferring to Utah but we should have an adequate QB by the time he'd be eligible to play for Utah.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Runner, did not Nelson have to get through the same coaching changes? And lest we forget Nelson red-shirted. Why could Heaps not? I'm still not sold on him and would be fine if he transferred. The problem is that out of high school he could go anywhere, now . . not so much. But if he stays, redshirts and does all necessary to win back the trust and confidence of his teammates (not coaches, but teammates), then he might become the QB we and he thought he was. That's a tall mountain to climb.

• NT Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Vai lining up behind Gordon like that - doesn't really help his (Vai's) cause. But Vai is just wrong here. You can still retract. Happens all the time around here - after we realize we have made a mistake.

That is all I'm going to say - looks like most of my thoughts have been offered by others here.

• Turtle Owasso, OK
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:55 p.m.

I think the problem is more with Doman than with Heaps. Doman apparently has not gotten into the heads of either of these guys about passing into a crowd where there are most defensive players than offense. I see the same mistakes made by both QBs, but one is getting away with it (somewhat) because he can scramble and make up for these mistakes. Neither has the savvy right now to QB an all-around game with real offensive integrity - just look at the last game, which we should have won.

I was offended by the first Article that Vai wrote, but in perspective, at least Heaps could be under the tutelage of someone who really knows offensive football at Utah.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:54 p.m.

This is really about what is best for Jake - not what is best for BYU. I'm sure Brandon Doman would like to have Heaps tucked away in a red shirt season next year and that might still happen however I just don't see that being the best thing for Jake. Jake can play and he has a big time arm so there are alot of schools that would love to have Jake in their program. Jake prospered in Anae offense last year - even as a freshman - but the Doman offense is simply not going to ever work for Jake. I don't know if it is coaching or the scheme or whatever but Jake has lost all the confidence that he had a year ago. I do think Norm Chow would love to have Jake and Jake would do well under Norm but it may also be the University of Washington or Washington St. since that is where the Heaps family lives. Teaming Jake up with Sarkisian would be a great fit I believe. I would be surprised if Heaps doesn't transfer after the season is over. BYU is going nowhere with Nelson as QB except against lesser schools.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Once again we have a comment from "B.Y.U. hater" crisb who always has to take a jab at B.Y.U. B.Y.U. has a realistic chance to go 10-3 and their are a lot of college football fans who would love to see their team accomplish that. Not every team wins 10 games every season but if your new goal is a mediocre 5-4 in the Pac-12 you can do that as well. I will take 10-3 over 8-4 any day. As for Heaps, it is up to him what he wants to do. He was forced into a tough situation last year trying to learn a complex west coast offense as a freshman. Let him red shirt if he wants and then when Riley leaves he will have the time to learn what it takes to be a great quarterback like Detmer, Young and others.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Vai, the one thing you neglected to admit is that you wrote the whole article to stir the pot. You know that bringing up such a scenario of a trasnfer to Utah would be a hot button topic and you got exactly what you wanted. I don't have a problem with it and I think it's an interesting idea but let's not forget the whole reason it went "viral" in the first place.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I think Vai is the king of the trolls and he writes articles to get reactions and stroke his ego by getting responses from people.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:28 p.m.

While this is an interesting topic, I am still questioning Bronco's decision making. Jake was a quarter or two of football away from finally having success. The games after he was benched WOULD have been when he finally achieved some success and his confidence could have been lifted. Riley has had it easy in terms of strength of schedule of opponents he has started against vs. the games Jake started. If the coaching staff would have been patient for just another quarter of football, this would not even be a subject. Having Riley with the ability to run is a nice feature, so my opinion is that it would have been best to have some plays that Riley could have relieved Jake for a few series and then be loaded at QB with experience. I say NO to him ever wearing a Utah uniform, we don't want him, and our players don't hold pompous press conferences at bars.

• Archi Mclean, VA
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Good point. Why are they struggling so much with the development of these types of players?

From what I've seen they tend to do way too much cheerleading for the Rudy's of the team.

• Back Overland Park, KS
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Heaps has great upside, he's just not there yet. His bravado coming into the Y, talking national championship, etc. has hit a road bump. Lot's of folks hit road bumps, I think redshirting a year would give him ample time to grow up and take over when the time is right. That's what Young and McMahon did. Come back down to earth, work hard and he'll be in a position to do some great things in 2013. Obviously he was good enough to push for the job as a freshman, it just takes some seasoning to be a really good QB.

Nov. 4, 2011 12:16 p.m.

"It's a fluid situation and based on what I'm seeing, BYU is not going to be good scenario for him." Vai, what are you seeing? Do you have some inside info. that you aren't sharing? Do you know that BYU has given up on Jake? If that is true and they are not going to give Jake another shot then yes, he should transfer. I don't think that is the case though. Jake has to get himself out of this funk and get his confidence back. Maybe it does take a redshirt year. Either way, if he transfers or stays and redshirts, he will still have two years to see what he can do. But, again, unless you know something that you're not saying I don't think the coaches have given up on him. We all know how quickly things can change in this game. If nelson goes down and Jake comes in and takes a few hits and then hits Apo in stride for a 50 yd TD strike, everyone will be back on the Heaps bandwagon. Maybe your ties with Utah are causing you to stir this pot.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Thanks for another great article. I appreciate your ability to craft a story.

It seems football, can be added to the morays of politics and religion, that are certain to generate livid responses. I'm sure the Utah sports market is mild in it's disdain, compared with vitriol of other markets.

Thick skin and common sense make you one of my favorite writers.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I'm trying to see how your comment applies to mine. Were you writing to a different Kyle? I'm serious, I don't get it. Is it because I thought greenshovel's comment was funny or because I wish Vai would have written about something else this week? Or was it because I made fun of Jake? Are you his mom?

Both Vai and Greenshovel are welcome to have their own opinion and no one needs to go to the old soviet union.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Vai...sorry dude, but you have missed the point. Your argument is that Jake should transfer because he was replaced this year and a transfer would give him more opportunity to learn. Although what you failed to point out, which is surprising coming from an ex-player, is what impact the coaching change had at BYU and on Jake. Remember BYU brought in a new OC, new RB, and new WR coach. Jake was at the mercy of their adjustment and their learning curve. Which, as Doman himself pointed out, has been steep and not without errors. If Jake were to transfer, he would once again have to learn a new offense, new playbook, etc. Plus, he would have to sit anyway. So, why not go into next year with a redshirt mentality, watch, learn, practice, mature, and then he is ready to start his JR and SR years? Which seems to be what most successful BYU QBs have done. And...if he has to burn his redshirt because of an injury, then he plays anyway but you can't overlook the impact of the coaching change and how difficult that has been this year.

• Victor Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:02 p.m.

This would be a huge loss to BYU in terms of how high ranking recruits will begin to view the BYU football program.

The message is don't come to BYU because the coaching staff will make sure everyone knows they do not think you are as good as everyone else thought you were out of high school.

Also, because you are a highly sought after recruit that means everything was given to you in your life and you never had to earn anything.

Heaps could have chosen to go to just about any school in the country out of high school. His reasons for coming to BYU seems to go beyond just playing football. The only way he transfers is if he is certain he will never be a starter at BYU.

Although, this discussion would beneficial as a wake up call to the coaching staff to contemplate not having Heaps.

And if the stars align they might even reevaluate their lack of ability to develop talent.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:01 p.m.

My guess it that Jake will go from a mediocre non-aq to another mediocre non-aq where at least he will start.

• Victor Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:00 p.m.

He should transfer to TCU where another player with great upside went because he had the microscope on him the whole time he was at BYU (Fabuluje - 6'7" 320 DE/OL).

Yeah we should continue letting some of our best young players transfer with minimul effort trying to convince them to stay.

Nov. 4, 2011 12:00 p.m.

@The Rock

I love the idea of Heaps transferring to Washington. Then maybe Keith Price would transfer down to Utah. That ones not going to happen, Heaps at Washington he would be #3.

• lvcougie Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Vai you missed it again! That is like muffing two punts in a row on your own 5 yard line. This entire issue is really about hype and unreasonable expectations. Jake is a pretty good sophomore now and has a chance to be a real good red shirt junior and senior at BYU. The real problem here is that Jake and everyone around him built unreasonable expectations by pronouncing to the world that Jake was going to move mountains, and shatter all BYU passing records, before the kid had even dawned a BYU uniform. This was all unfounded rhetoric, much like talking about a national championship before you have played a game. This is why the players have so readily adopted Riley who speaks volumes with his play but was unheralded, even disregarded going into the season. Quitting under these circumstances, i.e. because you think you are better than all those great BYU QB's who didn't start until they were a junior, would be, in a word, ARROGANT. The very thing Jake has been accused of already. If Jake wants to be a real winner then he should persevere, fight through and come back better; ask Brandon Davies.

• amicus Ann Arbor, MI
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:56 a.m.

Heaps needs to play under an offensive coordinator with experience. With the right coach, Heaps will someday be able to reach his potential. I just don't think Doman is the right coach for him.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Naval Vet, talking about faceplants? Really?

You got scoreboard, humiliatingly so, but that seems to be about all you got.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:50 a.m.

The UTES do have a tough situation at QB, but Jake does not help that. If he cannot cut it at the Y, playing teams like Idaho St, Idaho, New Mexica St, etc, and be the starter, he sure would not make it against teams from the Pac 12. While I would love for Heaps to get back in there and fumble the ball, try to pick it up and throw it away, only to have it slip out of his hands again, Riley is the better option at BYU, and the UTES do not want him as their QB, nor do they need him as Vai and Monson suggest. He would provide nothing to the team. Yes, he has a strong arm, but has absolutely no touch on the ball. The Utes have Wilson and Hansen coming in next year. While Hansen will go on a mission, hopefully Wynn will be healthy, and Wilson will step up and learn Chow's system, and become a great QB for them in the future. Heaps is not a viable option for the Utes, and I would bet 99.9% of UTE fans would not want him.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:47 a.m.

I know, its really hard to acknowledge that other people have different opinions. If that bothers you, perhaps you ought to transfer countries.....China maybe? or perhaps the old soviet union?

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:46 a.m.

I think that Jake's position is somewhat similar to TCU's Andy Dalton. He played four years. His first year was not all that great. TCU relied on the run. Fans were patient though and ironcially he started connecting on longer passes starting with the BYU game his sophomore year. He was unstoppable his last two years and is now in the NFL.

I suspect Jake could have followed the same path, but I don't think BYU fans, who have a long history of great quarterbacks, could wait that long. They may get a short term payoff with Riley, but I'm not so sure he is the long term answer for tougher schedules in future years.

So should Jake transfer? If the fans and his teammates and apparently his position coach have given up on him I say go ahead. I think Utah would be a good fit in terms of football, but I suspect it would be better to get a fresh start in another market. I don't think you'll see Jake in a Utah uniform, but I doubt he'll be in a BYU uniform either.

Nov. 4, 2011 11:42 a.m.

Is it just me or is nearly everyone Vai's first cousin? Forget about seven degrees of Kevin Bacon - I'm thinking it is two degrees of Vai's. Seriously - this guy knows everyone and in two names you can know Vai.

Now here is why my good friend Vai is wrong - (I call him that because my first cousin Steve once had a French class with Vai's other first cousin)

One Word: LOYALTY.

Sure many people can be in things for themselves and I am sure that works out all the time and maybe that is great for the short term but if there is one thing you get from these blogs it's that the man writing them has a lot of loyal friends. Lots. And I am thinking that means something - if nothing else a free meal from time to time.

So I say leave of Jake alone and let the kid grow and become the loyal quarterback he is suppose to become - after all I can't wait for the centerfold of him holding a football in one hand and a pizza box in the other with the title "The Deliver Man"

You know as in Heaps of Pizza.

• Truesilverwolf OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Honestly if Jake transferred to Utah I would still pick Jon Hays over him. If I was Jake I would use that redshirt next year and then come out for my junior year with an absolute vengeance. Too bad BYU will still be Independent cause not even the Big East is interested in them!

• Victor Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:37 a.m.

@The Rock

Riley is actually a Junior this year so if Heaps Redshirted he could potentially start both his Junior and Senior year. In theory, it would work out fine.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:28 a.m.

That's a good one! Maybe they can play him at LB on the scout team next year to toughen him up, if he redshirts. He'd probably run away from the line of scrimmage instead of towards it.

Vai, this was a lame rehash. Props for acknowledging Monson's article, but I was hoping for something else this week.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Don't come to Utah Jake. The Pac-12 isn't for everybody. You'll fare better at some irrelevant mid-major program that applauds their coaches and players spouting off about winning national championships in the preseason, then following up said boasts with annual September face plants. You're a better fit for where you already are.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I have often said; "If we are the salt of the earth, what good does it do to stay in the salt shaker?" BYU is a salt shaker if there ever was one. Spreading good LDS kids out to other universities should certainly impact missionary work.

I personally think that Jake can still start for BYU. He should probably red shirt next year, but with Riley only being a sophomore this year Jake would probably only start one year if that.

A jump to the U would or to the University of Washington would greatly increase his odd of starting for two full years and that would greatly increase his chances to play in the NFL.

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:24 a.m.

You've got to be kidding! From what I have seen, good ole' Jake doesn't like any kind of contact! TE or LB - I don't think so. In my opinion, holding a clipboard is about all the contact he can handle.

• daddman54 FARMINGTON, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:23 a.m.

He's been groomed to be a QB since little league and he does have major passing skills, you don't win the Elite 11 without them. It just hasn't translated into success at the Y for the most part.
    I'm sorry greenshovel but the Cougar faithful are going to pile on you like they did Vai. No fan base in the country is tougher to please and put more emotion into their support.

• greenshovel SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:11 a.m.

What about a position change for Jake?
    Did he play anything else in high school?
    I know that OLine or DLine wouldn't work, but maybe TE, or inside LB?