BYU football: Cougars cruise past Bengals; TCU up next

• chevo Huntington, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2011 4:42 p.m.

another Utah beat down oh wait another TCU beat down 64 to 17 frogs...

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Lone Peak High School could have beaten Potato State.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 4:08 p.m.

I can't get too excited or touchy about my teams--they generally aren't that good, but I stick by them, so the odd times they do win, it makes it that much sweeter. Hope your nephew picks Weber State! I played club college hockey at Weber State and lived with my grandparents who were basically on campus back when I was in college, GOOD TIMES! They have really invested a lot into all their facilities: both sports and academic. It's a great University and a scenic place.

I generally cheer for all the in state teams, except when they play Weber State. I sometimes have to try and curb the enthusiasm of some of the local fans--it seem it happens a lot with BYU since they have been spoiled with success.

Thanks for the wishing the Cats luck--they will need it: Montana, Montana State, NAU, and Portland State to finish it out. They will have to run the table for playoff consideration. Guess they will have to take it a week at a time. Have a good one!

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Classy response reflecting that you accepted my comment with absolutely no disrespect intended.
    My nephew was up there for that game on a recruiting invite as he makes the in-state rounds while winding down his HS senior year. He said it actually was an exciting game.
    It's nice to see the quality of football rising at every institution, affording our kids more opportunities to play at a higher level as they get their education. Good luck to your 'cats.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 10:12 a.m.

I was at the Weber State game. They were awful in the second half--too many penalties and terrible discipline. I think they are better than SUU, but they didn't make the plays. No excuses. Believe me, as a Cubs fan, I am used to handling losing.

I personally don't cheer against BYU. I like to tease. I would love to see them join the Big 12. I hope it happens, it would be great. I want to see them schedule up. I just think they should have stuck it out in the MWC until they got a better offer. I called them out when they left. I know they will step up their games in later years, but I don't think this is their best opportunity to BCS dreams. Really, I would love to see all three FBS teams in BCS conferences. I am glad SUU finally will be in the Big Sky. I just have a tough time stomaching some of the nonsense.

Here's hoping it works out. Have a nice day.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Don't get too bent over our buddy, Wildcat. Not meant disrespectfully, just as an observation, but his boys just joined the ranks of UNLV and Sac State in the "L" column to SUU.
    He may be a whiz at the internet, with all it's "facts", but that loss has to leave a mark. Let's let him tend to his wounds.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:55 p.m.

The operative word here is, Wildcat, "according" to the story. The fact that some guy posts opinions on CBS Sportsline certainly does not make those opinions truth. The distance between ideas and realizations of those ideas is often vast. It should be simple for the NBA owners and players to get together - in theory, at least - but in practice it's not so simple. So for three or for disparate conferences to compromise their one self interests for the sake of some vague notion of a super conference is no sure thing.

I'm not sure what the source of your Schadenfreude is, but whenever you base your happiness on the misfortune of others, it eventually comes back to bite you. I don't understand your antipathy. Personally I always pull for Weber State any time they play, except for when against BYU. I suppose you have to make up your own mind what you choose to love and to hate.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Seer stone no, internet access, yes. It's on CBS Sportsline. From the reports, it all hinges on Mizzou going to the SEC. Kind of funny that USU will be in a BCS conference and BYU will not be if West Virginia accepts the Big 12 invite as they are their first preference and BYU is their second choice.

Also, from the story, the mega conference would probably play seven games in their own divisions and four other games in conference. This would mean BYU would not be able to schedule any of these teams. Really could throw a wrench in the BYU scheduling, green-light games might only be MAC, Sun Belt, or FCS teams now. I heard Utah is wanting a two for one home game scheduling. If BYU doesn't accept it, which I wouldn't blame them for not, it will mean no more in state games for BYU in the future--except for Weber State, GO WILDCATS!

Have a great day, and if the Big 12 comes a calling--take it! Otherwise, ho-hum independence. From the excitement on the fan boards of beating ISU, BYU might want to join the Big Sky as the 14th team.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:40 p.m.

I'm sure glad we have Wildcat in O-Town to tell us how it's going to be. For a year now I have been watching with some interest the process of conference re-alignment, seeing some things happen as expected and getting surprised by others (TCU to the Big12 was a surprise, TX A&M to the SEC, not so much).

Thankfully Wildcat has found some kind of seer stone or just enjoys unusual access to knowledge that even the conference commissioners lack. Now I can just go back to watching the games and forget about the future.

• Sloppyj30 Saint Louis, MO
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Weird about the HD thing . . I have ATT U-Verse and watched in glorious HD. I thought the BYU-TV team put on a very professional production. Hopefully all the carriers will get it in HD in the near future.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 2:24 p.m.

TCU 38
    BYU 17

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 2:20 p.m.

I think it's funny that you guys are still using the 54-10 thing. We lost, we know, but it's fun to see which team is the more mature team. BYU which shook that game off and has improved or the one that expended all its energy and has been shooting itself in the foot lately? I think it's funny how you guys base your whole season off of that. If that was your only game, then you guys had a stellar season but looking at the other games, I'd say it's anything short of stellar. How about you guys for once grow up and stop comparing yourselves to what you can do to BYU. Question: Do you feel like playing us again with Riley Nelson as QB as well as a whole new offensive energy behind him?

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:16 p.m.

32 Team Super conference divisions.

Here would be the breakdown of the 32 team super conference according to reports.

West: Hawaii, Fresno St, Boise St, Utah St, UNLV, Nevada SDSU, SJSU

Mountain: CSU, Wyoming, Air Force, UNM, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP, Houston

Central: Memphis, Marshall, Tulane, UAB, S. Miss, Rice, La Tech, Temple

East: Louisville, Uconn, Cincy, Rutgers, S. Fla, C. Fla, East Carolina, Navy

Too Bad BYU left the MWC. They could have been in the mix every year in this set up. As an indy they won't get a chance to compete. If the joined the Big 12 they will struggle to compete.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:07 p.m.

We executed at a higher level, but will a higher level against an FCS opponent translate against TCU...

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:02 p.m.

NO BCS access for BYU.

If this 32 team super conference develops, and all indications are that it all hinges on Mizzou going to the Big 12. USU, CSU and Wyo. Etc. will all have a chance to play themselves into a BCS game every year.

What a concept, there will be four 8 team divisions and the division winners will playoff to gain access to a championship game with that winner getting an automatic BCS bid each year.

The irony is BYU will be one of about 26 teams in the FBS level that can't play it's way into a BCS bowl game each year. The teams BYU will share this honor with are teams like Kent State, Western Kentucky, Army, Bowling Green.

I hope BYU is enjoying the $$$$$ they are making as an indy. It is kind of ironic BYU will be the only team in this part of the country that won't be able to play for a BCS bid.

It is admirable that 60K fill LES every week, especially considering they will be the only FBS team in the state with no BCS access.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Congratulations to the only team in the state of Utah to win a PAC 12 game so far this year---BYU!

Also, congratulations to all the 60,000+ cheering fans who joined us at LE stadium in Provo Saturday even though it was the beginning of Deer season and UEA weekend. BYU football team and coaches: never take that for granted!

I noticed they are asking fans to wear black (mourning) to next week's ute game in RE stadium. I guess that means that the team will wear black (mourning)as well. I thought red meant "fired up" unless they aren't any more.

Go Cougars!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Oct. 23, 2011 10:02 a.m.

Ok, cougars, practice is over. It is time to get ready for the real deal in Division 1 football. Focus in on this next game. This may be the toughest team you will play for the rest of the year. Show them and the rest of the world that we are a GOOD football team.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:55 a.m.

My "unbiased" observations:

- Looks to me like Apo is where Hoffman was last year. Next year these two will be potent weapons. With an experienced QB, BYU's offense should look next year like we all thought it would this year.

- Glad to see Juice is healthy again. He looked good. We'll need that with Alisa's ability against TCU this week.

- Glad to see Doman realizes DiLuigi's strengths. He's not trying to run him up the middle anymore where he stutter-steps. He's obviously more effective around the outside.

- Who says Nelson can't throw? He does quite well. He's effective. Doesn't need all that zip to be effective, at least in the college game.

- I'd never noticed until this ISU game just how wimpy Jake's lower body looks. After being used to watching the athletic Nelson, Heaps LOOKED like a backup. Weird.

- Loved the way Sorensen pick-sixed ISU one play after badly missing out on that same opportunity.

- BYU played the way you'd expect a good team to do versus a weak opponent. That's good. Maybe there's some stability now. The TCU game should be fun, win or lose.

- Win the TCU game, BYU might get pollster votes.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:52 a.m.

BYUTV is available in HD in Utah on Comcast. Dish and DirecTV don't carry the HD feed yet. Most cable/satellite companies carry two versions of each channel: SD and HD. For some reason, some carriers haven't picked up the HD feed of BYuTV yet.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Remember when BYU games were televised live on KSL and replayed on KBYU at night. It was perfect, consistent and reliable for every tv owner.

Where did we lose convenience and local exposure in all of our "technological advancement"?

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Who cares... There going to a BCS Bowl!

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:19 a.m.

To watch in HD on a television, you have to have an HD TV, an HD tuner, and a provider that broadcasts in HD. On the Wasatch Front you can get BYUtv in HD over the air.

To watch in HD on a computer you have to have adequate internet speed. The player will optimize according to your bandwidth.

Google speedtest and use that to determine your bandwidth AT GAME TIME, since speeds vary from time to time. If everyone in your neighborhood is streaming the game or Netflix, or if you never paid for enough speed, you won't get HD.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:03 a.m.

Well if you'd rather be 0-4 and at the bottom with Colorado, then you should be happy..........mission accomplished!

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2011 7:48 a.m.

BYUtv not broadcasting in HD defeats it's whole purpose. I don't know exactly why but when you have an HD tv and watch a game in non HD, the picture is terrible. Maybe it's my direct tv and not BYUtv's fault. I was very disappointed in the picture quality and not excited to ever watch another game on BYUtv.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 7:14 a.m.

Enjoy being in the bottom of the PAC-12 where the runnin' Utes will dwell for many years. Won't be long until Rice stadium will resemble a ghost town if the Utes don't start winning.

Those who rejoice with the win over lowly Idaho State can be thankful that the WAC is a bottom tier conference.

Let's see what happens when TCU walks all over BYU.

• kanaka818 West Hills, CA
    Oct. 23, 2011 2:18 a.m.

Please disregard my previous post. My computer "locked" up and scrambled the message. Here it is again:

I thought BYUtv did broadcast in HD. Unfortunately, my cable system doesn't carry BYUtv, so I watched the game on my desktop's monitor. The picture clarity during the 1st quarter wasn't that good. Every time they switched cameras, or as the camera panned on long plays (kickoffs and deep passes), the picture would breakup. However, the 2nd and 3rd quarters were HD quality. For some reason, the 4th quarter picture quality reverted back to the 1st quarter breakups. Anybody have an idea why?

Anyway, regardless of the picture quality, I'm just thrilled to be able to see the game after years of just listening to streaming audio from KSL Radio. We want the best, but I'm thankful just to have a picture.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:48 a.m.

@ We wear Blue in Ogden... we are 0 and 4 in conference but in the "it doesn't mean a thing conference" the number 54 - 10 rises to the top.....

I'd rather be at the bottom with Colorado in a conference than be at the top of nothing where nothing counts. nothing....

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 12:54 a.m.

Looked pretty clear to me. Granted I do have an HDTV also, but, whatever.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Oct. 22, 2011 11:47 p.m.

Ute trolls are eerily quiet.
    I quess all the fun goes out of trashing BYU when your team is 0 - 4 in the PAC 12.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 22, 2011 10:40 p.m.

Looks like the posting is going on the ute article, and Chris B has been silenced.

Great day for Utah football.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:44 p.m.

My prediction

TCU 23
    BYU 29

• artinnature Payson, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Okay, the game has been over for more than four hours and, I guess, speaks for itself. No one else is saying much here. Does anyone know why BYUtv doesn't broadcast in HD? I switched to Auburn/NC at BYU's halftime and could actually follow all of the plays in HD. The contrast with BYU's SD was graphic and startling . . . I though BYUtv was "state of the art."