Jews, Catholics view Mormons favorably; what it means for Mitt Romney

• L Kaiser REDMOND, WA
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:30 p.m.

I agree with the excessive articles written about how us LDS are either liked/disliked or who said we werent Christian. I think its good to point out our fellow Christians who support us and also to defend our faith when attacked. However, its so excessive I find many see it as desperate to stay in the news or to play the victim card. In excess our defending and pointing out fellow believers can do more harm to our message then good. Finding balance is important.

• Free Agency Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 11:13 a.m.

As a pretty typical Jew (in terms of political sensibility), I can offer Romney some insights in how to get our vote.

Emphasize fiscal responsiblity, education (it wouldn't hurt to quote the Mormon teaching, "The glory of God is intelligence"), self-sufficiency, caring for the less fortunate (by no fault of theirs) and the idea that we're all here to grow and learn. (Romney might point out that that's why ideas like evolution pose absolutely no threat to him.)

In short, emphasize the values that are already foundational Mormon ones.

On the other hand, he'll need to distance himself from the Church's censoring/expulsion of Mormons who think differently from the official Church line. (Such an act is anathema to us Jews.)

Above all, he must never try to appeal to right-wing Christian values. Those, too, are anathema to Jews because they're tight boxes in which no other views can enter. If we're here to learn and grow, we simply can't live in boxes of any kind.

The bottom line is for Romeny to point out--and live--the values which Mormons and Jews have in common, and never compromise those values.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Regarding Obama and anti-Israel, the 67 borders may be popular amoung a lot of people, but not the Israelies themselves. Especially now that Egypt is going to be an uncertain neighbor. The 30 plus years of stability created by the Camp David Accords, (yes, thanks to Carter) is largely gone with the so called Arab Spring. I don't know exactly how Obama feels about Israel, but I do know the contemp he showed for England when he sent the bust of Winston Churchill that was in the White House back to the Brits. A man who would do that to one of our best allies is capable of anything.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2011 11:58 p.m.

Interesting article; nothing clever, witty or sarcastic to add beyond that!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 10:02 p.m.

@Filo Doughboy
    "Who drew first blood in this battle of who is right, wrong, unauthorized, fully restored, counterfeit, anointed from on High, cultic, aberrant, etc.?"

Does it matter? After all...

"My junior high students can figure this answer out. "

...I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line they also learned lessons like "it doesn't matter which of you two started it".

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:46 p.m.

I loved the article. Great story.

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    Oct. 22, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Anybody here read their history?

What a shameful bunch of whiners. I get the two nice suits-on-a-bike at my door every few months inviting me to the "one and only true church". They aren't as plain-spoken as the 19th century boys, but the message is there:
    We got the goods, you're in a false, non-authentic church. When I push past the mushy Mitt explanation, the truth finally surfaces. Neither my baptism, my pastor, my Bible, my sacraments or my weak "Saved by Grace Alone" theology will get me into the real heaven where Jesus and His Father reside.

My junior high students can figure this answer out.

• Grace Bakersfield, CA
    Oct. 22, 2011 8:46 p.m.

Mayhem Mikey, you are incorrectly painting Pastor Jeffress (regardless of where your cheek's tongue is), with the anti-Mormon brush. You are guilty of accusing him of being "bigoted, hateful, prejudiced". He never said that a Mormon cannot run for prez nor that he wouldn't vote for one. He said he would in fact, vote for Mitt, should he get the RNC nomination. He does not feel comfortable with Mitt's flips on certain issues, so he is not voting MR for party choice.

He opened his (big, moi opinion) mouth on his religious views at a political venue. In his pulpit he can claim the same thing that you do every Sunday, at every door your missionaries knock on, and what your express website claims: You've got the only true, fully restored, authentic church and authority. The same thing the Catholics and Protestants claim. We just try to be civil and unified in our secular or political venues.

Let's get accurate definitions here. My Webster says bigots are "utterly intoletant of any belief, creed or opinion". Intolerant how? That they shouldn't exist, or that they are incorrect, abominable, counterfeit? That's exactly the message I see in 1830.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 22, 2011 3:07 p.m.

I found an article awhile back regarding the Church's position on politics. Basically, it suggested that we study the issues, be active according to our desires, and vote for the person we felt, in our own minds, was best for the job. There was also plenty of support for multiple parties and multiple choice of candidates. This certainly did not bespeak an annointing of one party or one candidate, no matter what the religion. It also tells us this: why Harry Reid and other Democrats, and Mitt Romney and other Republicans can sit on opposite sides of the isle in the political world, but next to one another everywhere else. At one time this kind of behavior was common in political circles, and needs to be again. Meanwhile, perhaps our LDS politicians might lead the way in showing how it's done. If that is the only reason for all the Mormon politicians, Mitt included, then bring it on, folks, but let's not squabble amongst ourselves--let's be adult enough to take our differences to higher ground.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 1:53 p.m.

That is what is great about America. We aren't forced to read things that do not interest us. There is a huge interest here so those of us with that interest can read, and others can skip it. Works well.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 11:56 a.m.

@Sammy B
    "I am so sick of reading comments about how we shouldn't be discussing the anti-Mormon flap over Romney's candidacy"

I don't think peole have a problem with it being covered... just that 20-30 articles on it in ~2 weeks seems excessive.

"The whole country is talking about it, there are articles and TV commentaries about it."

Yes but the vast majority of newspapers, news sites, and TV commentaries mention it 1-4 times and that's it. I understand that this is a local newspaper for a heavily mormon area but averaging 1-2 articles a day on it every day since whenever Jeffress' comment was made... that's a lot.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 11:48 a.m.

"It will be interesting if the Jews would rather vote for a pro-Israel Romney over an anti-semitic Obama."

And how exactly is Obama anti-semitic? Because he wanted a return to 1967 borders with mutually agreed to land swaps? That's the same position as most recent presidents of the U.S. and the same position as most recent prime ministers of Israel.

New York's 9th is not necessarily a good example of the nations' Jewish vote becasue NY-9 has a high percentage of orthodox jews. They're social conservatives. Reformed Jews are the ones that are much more likely to vote Democratic and are the majority of the US Jewish population.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:37 a.m.

I am so sick of reading comments about how we shouldn't be discussing the anti-Mormon flap over Romney's candidacy. The whole country is talking about it, there are articles and TV commentaries about it. But for some reason, although it is fine for others to have our religion as a hot topic...we somehow are supposed to be disinterested?

I am interested in things that involve me. The national view of the LDS religion involves me. The Deseret News is in Utah folks, so why not write about this? In my opinion, it is the anti-Mormons that come on here and rag on people for being self-absorbed that makes some LDS members apologize and take the stance that we shouldn't talk about this. Not realistic folks. I want to be a part of the national forum of discussion and not be muzzled.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Only people [or newspapers] who suffer from severe self-consciousness and poor self-esteem look for studies, articles, or words of affirmation.

Could explain why Utah also has the highest rate for suicidal thoughts in America as well.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Republicans need to get rid of the evangelical hold that's on the party. Not good. Similar to the extremist libs that control the Democratic party.

But then, has either party ever been controlled by moderates?

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Animals view Mitt Romney favorably.
    Is that on tap for the next edition of the DN?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 8:49 a.m.

As a member of the church, can I just ask why there is ANOTHER story in this newspaper about who likes us and who doesn't? I like the D-News, but for crying out loud, it is less a newspaper and more of a gossip rag!

"Did you HEAR what that pastor in Texas said about us? Can you believe that? Well, at least the Jews and some Catholics like us. People like us, right??"

A story like this is nice...once in awhile! But for crying out loud, not one or two a week! I don't need that much daily affirmation!

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 22, 2011 8:42 a.m.

Can anyone argue against the principle that it is better to teach someone how to fish than to give them a fish? But how does this principle relate to the foreclosure problems we are now experiencing? There are those who, because of greed, pride and/or foolishness, overstated their ability to repay their mortgage obligations, especially after the teaser rates expired, and bought a house way beyond their effective price range and now must default. There are others who acted prudently but who lost their jobs and cannot sell their house because it has depreciated well below the mortgage amount. Should the government intervene? If so, how? And will it help or only make matters worse? Harry Reid and Mitt Romney seem to have opposite views. I hope they will articulate their reasons and educate us. And then GM and financial bailouts.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 8:34 a.m.

It will be interesting if the Jews would rather vote for a pro-Israel Romney over an anti-semitic Obama. New York 9th may be our clue.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Oct. 22, 2011 7:00 a.m.

I'd LOVE it if 10 million more people joined the church. The question is, would we be ready and able to accept them all in and look after them - especially if they were drastically different from the rest of us - in appearance or thinking?

Isn't that what the LDS leaders from Pres. Hinckley to Pres. Monson have been trying to get us to do all these years??

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 22, 2011 6:23 a.m.

Mormonism will be front and center if Mitt Romney gets nominated. And it will be great. It will be Harry Reid and his I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon versus the Republican version of Mormonism. Teachings of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith will fill the campaign rhetoric. How can the Democrats attack Mormonism with Harry Reid as Senate majority leader? How can Republicans if Mitt Romney is their candidate? Which political version of Mormonism will the Jews find more compatible with their own concerns?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Oct. 21, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Who knows if Romney will become president, but I find it interesting that he is the center of two events that really opened the eyes and understanding of the Mormon church more. He of course turned around the 2002 Olympics and even though he wasn't the main focus, that event really created more dialog about the LDS church. But his 2nd time for running for President really has created dialog. The thing I see is that more and more people are being more open and accepting of the LDS people and their religion. I don't want ten million people to join the LDS church, but I sure would be happy if ten million people hated the church less or didn't understand our beliefs, mainly thinking we are not Christians. Mitt Romney is a winner just for what he has done to open the doors of understanding and such.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Delighted to see good-hearted men and women rise to the defense of the church against all the vitriol tossed about so casually by Pastor Jeffress and others of his ilk against Mitt Romney and his faith.

Amazing as well to find that it seems to be politically correct to say anything you want to about the Mormons. If some of these things were said about a Jewish or Baptist or Catholic or even a Muslim candidate, there would be outrage and the ACLU would come out in force to castigate the perpetuators of such non-PC statements. On the other hand, it is perfectly correct to slander or express bigoted comments about Latter-day Saints. The double standard of men such as Jeffress boggles my mind. To even insinuate that Mormons do not deserve the same protections of the constitution because our beliefs differ from his. Basically, Jeffress is telling us that "my Jesus is better than your Jesus."

A sad commentary on our society. Nevertheless, I have no doubt that "no unhallowed hand shall stop the work."

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 21, 2011 3:53 p.m.

%at134: you may be right, it is more like having a talent for business success. Some cultures seem to have a better orientation for managing money than others. It is not a big secret as to who those are who do it best, and there is no disrespect in being a champion.

• Northern Lights Louisville, KY
    Oct. 21, 2011 1:35 p.m.

If you were to read portions of the "Deutscher National-Katechismus" written in 1934 for German school children, you might understand just how others might regard your comment regarding Jews as hateful and inappropriate. Please be careful with the words you use. Fame is fleeting, but the internet is forever.

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I highly recommend the article by Professor Peter Morici cited in this story. I consider it a fair, accurate portrayal of Mitt Romney and his service and beliefs. The author is not a convert to Mormonism, and, according to him, will never be, but he credits the LDS Church and Romney for their teachings of the worth of men and women, their potential to live good lives here and in the hereafter, and the service they provide and have provided.

It is beyond me how any fair-minded person, not filled with bigotry, hate and lodged on the lowest rungs of the intellectual ladder, could disparage Romney's life of service or the good the LDS Church does. One can justifiably disagree with Romney's political views, but mean-spirited attempts by anti-Mormons, like Pastor (and I use that word with tongue in cheek) Jeffress, to attack the Church, or its members who selflessly render service or who are willing to serve in public office, demean only those who fling such drivel at the rest of us.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 12:58 p.m.

"Jews view all favorably who cater to them and make them money"

Gee, that isn't anti-semitic at all...

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 21, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Jews view all favorably who cater to them and make them money; and the Mormons lean over back wards to favor the Jews, although to Mormons Jews are gentiles. It is a strange world of religion. But, no matter, most Jews are not going to vote for a Mormon if they have a reasonable alternative.

Oct. 21, 2011 11:27 a.m.

Good! As a Mormon I have to say that I view Jews and Catholics favorably too. In fact, I have more often spoken up against Anti-Catholic comments than against Anti-Mormon ones, since I feel more at liberty to do so as an outsider.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Not very much.

Jews may view Mormons favorably,
    but they tend to be Liberal - therefor they vote for Democrats.