Faith

Women married to NFL Mormons do best to keep things normal at home

Comments

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    May 29, 2012 10:37 a.m.

@anti-liar
    sorry, but I couldn't pass this one up concerning the preacher athlete in Chariots of Fire - I loved that movie and its message, HOWEVER, since Eric Liddell wasn't a volunteer pastor - he was actually working on the Sabbath - if he didn't show up for his sermon - he didn't get paid and this was his livelihood....
    Also, I wonder how many of these NFL players influence their teammates and their families? Besides the "sabbath work" thing - do you think some of their other codes of conduct may have a good influence on their teammates, camp underlings, autograph hounds, etc. may provide some missionary work opportunities? There are few able to compete at the professional sport level and their time at their profession is very limited (maybe 10yrs at most), but the person they were while they played will last a very long time and hopefully their good examples will last along with their name. I prefer not to "judge how Christ will judge them for their offering" as they try to live the gospel in front of the world. Not everyone's roll is the same.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 28, 2012 3:23 p.m.

Annoyance of the month: those unimaginably rich, beautiful, physically ideal people like Ann Romney and the folks in this article who are so put upon and under such awful stress. Let's all feel sorry for them in their pathos.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 27, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Although a few commenters seem judgmental about our professional NFL brothers, I think having mixed feelings about this is reasonable for many LDS people, including those who enjoy following decent people like those mentioned in the article.

In church, including General Conference, we often hear stories of youth who miss athletic tournaments because of their commitment to God and the Sabbath. We hear of college level athletes like Clayton Christensen, the starting center of Oxford's basketball team who sat out the championship college game to avoid breaking the Sabbath. We hear about Eli Herring who rejected an NFL career to avoid playing on Sunday. These athletes are honored as Sabbath champions who made the "right" choice.

When covering the Old Testament, how does the seminary-teaching NFL player reconcile his choice with the simple Biblical fact that God considered keeping the Sabbath holy so important that violators were stoned? Can he, in good conscience, include President Monson's conference tribute to Clayton Christensen?

I think it's reasonable to be somewhat confused at mixed signals given to members on this matter. And, have we really arrived at a point where football games and hospital care are of equal necessity?

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    May 25, 2012 10:10 p.m.

Just wondering how many nannies are involved.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 25, 2012 12:57 p.m.

anti-liar:

Sorry, you have no points. It is a lifestyle, human piece story that may or may not interest people...period.. Being married to a professional athlete I suspect has many challenges. Yes, most make great money, but the travel, work schedule and let's be real, constant temptation the men themselves have to stay true to their vows, makes these marriages perhaps more challenging than most. Other than that, stir up the coals elsewhere.

• birdbath SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 25, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Brooke and I were companions while serving in Uruguay. She was hard working, creative, loving, and dedicated to serving God. They are wonderful people, wonderful missionaries.

• Archer Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 25, 2012 4:35 a.m.

Kehl doesn't "currently play" in St. Louis. He signed with the Redskins a few weeks ago. The writers might want to update for the sake of good journalism.

• zoar63 Mesa, AZ
    May 24, 2012 9:08 p.m.

I have often wondered how many young LDS men or women that possess outstanding talent in the theatrical arts have forgone pursing a Hollywood career because of what members of the Church might think of their choice of profession. These people have an opportunity to interact and to share with their peers the beliefs that brought them to the Church in the first place. They are in a position to approach people that for the most part a missionary in the field would find it nearly impossible to do. When the Lord said to preach the gospel to all the world he never did say with the exception of sports figures and celebrities. Members of the church in these professions can be instruments in reaching out to this very exclusive group of people. They can play a Super bowl game or win an Oscar on one Sunday and the Next Sunday night they are speaking at a youth fireside.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    May 24, 2012 4:22 p.m.

All you people who are condemning these people for the Sabbath day, think about this.

The purpose of these men is to provide for their families. They were blessed with individual and special talents that they were able to be part of an elite group that requires the highest capability and talent. They are part of the small percent of people who actually make it to their level.

God gave us talents that we are supposed to use them. They are using their talents as a way to provide for their families, what's wrong with that?
    Next time either one of you ever come into the hospital on a Sunday, I will not help you because I know I shouldn't be working on Sunday. Would that make you feel better?

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 2:04 p.m.

This is a shameless and senseless article. At the same time it is a slap in the face to the "regular" devoted saint who obeys the commandments and doesn't work on Sunday. I pity the tough life these poor women have; having to move all the time, sitting by themselves in church. Life is tough! Ridiculous.

• rabowlerfam SALEM, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 10:57 p.m.

I really enjoyed this article, it was a great look into how these families balance the demands on their time. Obviously no one is perfect and everyone is trying to do their best with the choices they have made, I think it is most helpful when we try to support each other instead of tear others down. I have to give props to these wives, yes they have money, but it is still difficult taking care of multiple small children and trying to teach them correct principles and making sure that even though daddy may be gone a lot their needs are still being met.

• scottsimas GILBERT, AZ
    Oct. 21, 2011 6:02 p.m.

If we as mormons don't want our religion mentioned when it is a convicted felon or a dishonest business person or politician, how is it that we glory in the success of our professional athletes? Furthermore, I thought we weren't supposed to play sporting events on Sunday. How hypocritical to run Steve Young and the likes out there as role models and ambassadors of the "church" when we supposedly don't condone participating in these events on Sunday. I hate to tell you, but the "Jimmer" didn't learn that jump shot playing on Saturday. He learned it by playing all the time. Look at all the positive impact and publicity these athletes have had on the Mormon church and ask yourself," is playing on Sunday really that big of a deal?" If it is a big deal, let's be consistent. If its not, quite talking about it!

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Great Article Des News. I love hearing about some of the more public members of the Church. These families have done a great job balancing their faith, family, and profession. Keep it up.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 2:13 p.m.

@The Vanka | 12:16 p.m. Oct. 21, 201

The answer is that it's not about the culture; rather, it is about the actual doctrine, and the efficacy of it. Look not to the culture, because you won't necessarily find the truth there, I guarantee it. Instead, look to the core doctrine; therein you'll find the answer to your question.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Mormon readers,

Read these comments and note the pointless bickering, then tell me again why I should want to become one of you?

• Noblepromise PROVO, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 8:53 a.m.

That is great the missionary work being done on Sunday by NFL LDS players and keeping the sabbath day holy,(because their employer requires them to play on Sunday) isn't an issue to them, their spouse or family and their church standing. It's also a financial windfall for the tithes and offerings generated is probably greater from a NFL LDS players when compared to other LDS employees who don't play in the NFL and than also consider the amount of public media exposure on LDS teachings or lifestyle is noticed more than the paid advertisements (on radio and television) done by the LDS Church. Maybe more emphasis on working on Sunday is holy acceptable as the missionary opportunities and financial benefits to the employer, employee, and Church justifies the work duties performed on Sunday.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 20, 2011 11:32 p.m.

I am quite worried about these men and their families, for reasons that haven't been suggested. According to Dr. Daniel Amen, they experience repeated brain injury that can affect their emotions and their cognitive abilities. How many of these robust men will soon be disabled either emotionally or mentally? What kind of price will they and their families pay for playing the gladiator?

• American man WOODS CROSS, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 11:14 p.m.

UtahMom, 10:05PM
    PROVO,UT

I will vote that the author of the remark- always one fluke, did not know the
    definition of the word fluke.

• UtahMom31 PROVO, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:05 p.m.

"They are married to men who play a physically brutal game, always one fluke, misstep or jarring hit away from a career-ending injury."

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, a fluke is a stroke of luck. Did the writer of this article intend to suggest that a career-ending injury is a stroke of luck?

• American man WOODS CROSS, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 7:53 p.m.

BigRich, 2:21PM,Oct.19,2011:

I don't understand part of your comment, which is- How each of us keeps the commandments is our own business and no one else's.

If that is true, would there not be a need for a Temple Recommend?

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Oct. 20, 2011 7:40 p.m.

To Joe Blow and others: I don't disagree with what you say. I've had to work on Sunday's through out my life. However, I do feel that we have made Sunday nothing more than another day versus what it was designed for, a day of rest and to worship our Heavenly Father. You have to remember there was a time in this country where a lot of things were closed on Sunday, (i.e. stores, golf courses,and etc.) The days were spent doing things as a family.

However, it is a personal choice to work or to even shop on Sunday. Ask yourselves what would happen if all of the stores were closed, all of the Golf Courses were closed, that both College and Pro games were played on Saturday and high school on Fridays? What then would be the problem? The thing is that the same people who argue against having this done would find some other way to break the Sabbath, so in the end it really doesn't matter if they are closed or not. For those who don't still won't but yet we shouldn't judge others because they do. They all will answer to God.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Oct. 20, 2011 6:03 p.m.

A personal choice! I agree.

I have no problem with those that choose work on Sunday.

And, Mowing my lawn or playing golf on Sunday is also my personal choice.

Choices for which I have been "chastised" by some of the LDS faith.

Just dont be hypocritical. Don't pick and choose which personal choices you want to demonize.

Don't say its ok for LDS pro Football players to play on Sunday, and then work to close the county golf courses.

Here is a better question.

Why does the church owned DN have a Sunday newspaper?
    How many people are "forced" to work because of that financial choice?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 5:07 p.m.

I can see the liberal loonies are out in full force today.....

Each one of these guys paid a huge price to achieve their NFL greatness and frankly they earned it....the difference between these players and loonies who are chastising their money...is simple? Its pure greed and class warfare.......these guys made it on their own and EARNED every cent they make....deservedly so! And you Liberals are the laziest bunch of losers I have ever seen in my freaking life....Get a job go to work and quit listening to MSNBC and Obama coaching you on Communist values!

You want to talk greed...the Liberals are the poster boys for GREED, because they want to steal money away from these guys who did what they were not willing to do for themselves...WORK! Thats what you are entitled too!

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 20, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Interesting article and surprised at so many negative comments. Their common faith does provide a bond when you live outside of Utah. They may have lots of money, but it doesn't sound like it's gone to their heads, nor does it last forever. I say good for them!!! Good, wholesome role models who are family oriented are in very short supply! They all seem to be representing who they are in a classy manner and giving back. What's with all the bitterness?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 4:22 p.m.

re: Dadof8 | 7:56 a.m. Oct. 20, 2011

"One of the beauties of the gospel is that we have agency to choose"

Really? Just the gospel? Life regardless of denominational preference is about choice & learning from your mistakes.

re: Duckhunter | 9:55 a.m. Oct. 20, 2011

And you were expecting this article to win a pulitzer or the Nobel peace prize?

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 20, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Can We All Say Steve Young.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 20, 2011 3:19 p.m.

No one is in the Army dying in a usless No Will To Win War.

You chose your life, you wanted that life. Now you go it enjoy it. It does not last long. This is your job, your passion, and there are people standing 10 deep ready to take it away from you.

When you are done and it will never be to long before that happens you can go to Church Every Sunday, and Serve. Because you will not have to go to Wal Mart and work. Or Sell Newspapers on the Cornor. There have been a few prides and joy who have refused to work on Sunday. That is their right. Makes them No Better or Worse then anyone else. I would say no One was Drafted but that would not fit here.

• Outsider Looking In BOISE, ID
    Oct. 20, 2011 3:13 p.m.

I haven't read the article (admittedly). But why is this on the front page of the web edition as a featured article? I don't get the value of this as news, or even a human interest story. This is the type of pulp that should be relegated to Mormon Times, for those who go looking for it. This is precisely why many can't take the Deseret News seriously, even for those of us who are inexplicably drawn to check out our old hometown papers once or twice a week.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 20, 2011 3:06 p.m.

I had a friend in 1989 when I lived in Safford Az.

Now the people of Safford are Softball and Baseball Playing Fools also Golf, Football, Volleyball. I still have my wifes Tee Shirt, that says Safford High Girls Volleyball A Decade Of Domination. From them winning the State Title for Ten Years Running and most of the players having gotton a free ride to some College or another. To include Eastern Arizona, Rick, and others. (1989). EAC was always in the playoffs and sometimes won. JC Transfers always being welcome at Division 1,2,3 four year schools.

My friends son made a baseball all star team that had to play a tourney on Sunday in another city. Should Dad let him play. Just wanted my newbie idea on it.

When you signed him up did you know this might happen? Yes!

Then he plays, fouls on you. However what you do is go with him and he attends Church at a near by Ward either before or after I suggest before. Also your kids at risk so don't upset him.

Our Society allows the Pros to play on Sunday.

Either way the World still spins.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Oct. 20, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Ryon Bingham went to the University of Nebraska Lincoln for college football. At the time he was the only LDS football player at UNL that I am aware of. I work on Sunday afternoons but that is because I work at a 24 hour care facility but I have every other weekend off. But thank goodness, I can attend church because we are the only ward in the town I so I dont have to worry about our time ever changing. We can only judge ourselves when it comes to things like this. That is between the Lord and the families involved.

• Kitenoa Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:58 p.m.

@anti-liar | 1:17 a.m. Oct. 20, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

What about the ER doctor who save your child's life (while working on Sunday)?

In my book the ER doctor did good in choosing his specific professional occupation to serve people, even on Sundays or other religious days. Likewise, NFL players have chosen a profession that works on Sundays; more power to them.

And just who are you to judge how a man or woman should choose their occupation or earn a legitimate living?

• lvsportsfan Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Ms Moli--Haha exactly my point, I totally agree with you. I wanted to make the point that we should be careful when we are calling out someone for judging, because when we do, we ourselves are passing judgment. I feel like everyone has something that they are good at and we should commend those qualities instead of pointing out faults because it's rare that we know the whole story or their intentions.

I commend these families that are in the spotlight for living righteously when so many people are watching. Thanks for your good examples!

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:21 p.m.

What these people do is between them and the Lord. How do we know they haven't prayed concerning this and had a supportive answer from the Lord? How each of us keep the commandments is our own business and no one else's. In my mind, bringing salvation to some souls through their profession, and setting righteous examples in spite of it, is more important than the letter of the law.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:08 p.m.

To State that the Wives of NFL Mormons, try to stay Normal, that is extremely judgemental, and Normal Compared to What!

You benafir from his great pay and his good life. He works on Sunday. Not his falt America Allows the NFL to Play on Sunday. Just like they all other businesses to be open on Sunday. If nothing else the NFL is a Business and there is nothing wrong with that.

You can either stay home or you can find a Ward where ever your at and attend at least some services. I could give you a list of the closest Wards to all NFL Parks. So other then the need for employment there is not need to slip and slide and no need to compermise. You or him or both could hold Firesides where ever you go and the Kids would fill the Chapel every time, and if you can carry a tune on top of it its over your in.

The average Playing Life Span of an NFL Player is very short. You can evan do what I said if he is in Canada or Europe. If I am a Wife I am following my hubby.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 20, 2011 1:44 p.m.

lvsportsfan | 11:13 a.m. Oct. 20, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sportzfan--what is it called when someone judges someone for judging somebody else who is judging somebody else?

Acting like a 2-year old!

• lvsportsfan Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 20, 2011 11:13 a.m.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:54 a.m.

"Eric, sometimes in street clothes, attends an early sacrament service near whatever stadium he is playing in that day."

I'll bet the times he attends Sacrament meeting in his uniform are pretty interesting...

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Excellent comments Kateybug in Riverton.. Great perspective for others to look at. Closed minds are a horrible thing in my opinion.

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:53 a.m.

I just want to say that as an NFL fan, I enjoyed this article. That is all. :)

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:48 a.m.

"The Larsens have several friends on the [Broncos] who are strong in their Christian faith"

That's news. Who knew there were any Christians playing for the Ponies?

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:46 a.m.

I personally found this article pretty interesting. I'm a football fan and not a religious bigot so I love my Sunday games.
    I work in my profession to meet the needs of my clients so I can provide shelter, food and comfort for my family. That is exactly what these guys do but they make a ton of money for it and to take the punishment they do to be where they are, they earn every dollar.
    To those that want to judge others, look around in your own home before you start making judgements outside. I'm sure not one of you is perfect. Work on that ok????

• Devilcougar SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Football is a job for these men. My father worked alot on sundays while I grew up and still had callings and was a good provider. I had a bishop who was a doctor who missed or was called out on Sunday they were also well paid and in good standing. If someone believes that just because these families make a good living they don't have struggles PUUULEASE what fairy land are you living in. Why cant we just be happy for others success?

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Anti-Liar

Interesting handle, smacks of a well known Book of Mormon story. Bytheway, in that story the translation of " Anti" means "Like unto " so does this mean you are Like unto a Liar ?

So let me see if I fallow your next point, as long as the job description fits the standard that you deem significant or praise worthy that is OK to work on Sunday ?

This feels like a pharisaic attempt at counting steps one takes on the Sabbath. preparing all needful things the day before the Sabbath so one can avoid public and religious scrutiny.

How do we know you are not one who disregards the sanctity of the Sabbath ? Face you, like the rest of the bloggers are a merely typing out statements that frankly do not matter at all.

• Kateybug Riverton, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:16 a.m.

@ Honor Code--Why are you condemning these families? Just because they make a lot of money, doesn't make their life any easier as far as raising a family, other than they can meet their financial obligations. Did you read the entire article? If so, then you know these women don't hire nannies, so yes, they are doing it by themselves and often playing 'daddy' at the same time and it IS hard. Also, these players aren't just 'working' 16 weeks, they also condition, attend CHARITABLE events and other events to promote their team.

My husband used to travel for his job M-F and served as 2nd counselor in the bishopric. While he never made the money these players do, it IS hard to have your spouse gone all the time, it IS hard to have to sit in Sacrament Meeting with young kids by yourself. Yes, I realize there are thousands of single moms who do this every day, but what this article also points out is that money doesn't solve everything, but do the best you can with what you have & these women are doing it...with a smile on their faces!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I enjoyed reading about these athletes, especially the pllayers we followed on BYU sports and see that they are still remaining strong in the Church. I think that was the main idea portrayed in the article. We have followed John Beck and his quest in recent years. Eric Weddle (U) has always been fascinating to be able to return to his hometown of San Diego to play in the pros and earn millions of $$. Interesting article.

I just wondered why Austin Collie wasn't interviewed. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Was he not available or too big a head for such an interview? Collie had a huge article on him & his wife in LDS Living magazine a while back. Just wondered. We followed him at BYU, then later the Colts with the concussions and all. Where was Dennis Pita also? We loved seeing him play such outstanding ball at BYU! This is to mention just a few of the active Mormons AFL athletes who were obviously missing in this article.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:55 a.m.

The comments on this article sure went in a predictable direction.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:42 a.m.

@jenrmc

You missed the point. I have not judged the actual athletes nor their families. Instead I am offering a reasonable criticism of the culture -- for its logical inconsistency as regards a purported Gospel STANDARD: i.e., teaching, in the name of keeping the Sabbath Day holy, that we don't engage in active sports on Sunday, but then saying that it's okay -- indeed, that it is a GLORIOUS thing -- for a professional athlete to do so. And so I'll ask the question again: how do you explain this clear double-standard to the youth of the Church? Sports on Sunday is ESSENTIAL, the way medical care, police, and firemen are???

And I have found, in my first-hand observation, a need on the part of many in Mormon culture to garner the praise and approval of the World. Why do I care, you ask? Because this sends the wrong message to the youth of the Church, who should be taught instead to have no other gods before the True and Living God.

I suggest you watch the movie, Chariots of Fire.

And by the way: you judged me. So much for "judge not under any circumstances."

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:41 a.m.

jenrmc, Dadof8 and TJ and Rikitikitavi -- what is it called when someone judges someone for judging?

"Comparing two people's behavior is asinine and judging another person is against the teachings of Jesus Christ. "

"One of the beauties of the gospel is that we have agency to choose, yet some of the responses show bitterness and self-righteousness."

"Anti-liar
    Clearly you don't really care what the answer to your questions are. Your intent is to stir up controversy."

"You are condemning these athletes for choosing to pursue careers which ultimately led to Sunday work. So what!! NO one REALLY cares what you think. My opinion is simply it is not my role (or yours either) to judge what is in the hearts of these folks."

• Dadof8 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:41 a.m.

@SportzFan
    A general comment about the responses is judgmental? Didn't point to any one specific just the overall tone of the responses. So how is that judgmental?

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:26 a.m.

@anti-liar
    All young folks need positive role models so severely lacking in the growing up years. LDS kids (and others as well) need to have honorable heroes and role-models to look to just in case they end up in similar roles. Same goes for entertainers like Brandon Flowers and others. High profile celebs can be Christ-like even as LDS members. You are condemning these athletes for choosing to pursue careers which ultimately led to Sunday work. So what!! NO one REALLY cares what you think. These wives do not need your permission to enjoy the results of the hard work and the sweat and pain their spouses have endured. My opinion is simply it is not my role (or yours either) to judge what is in the hearts of these folks. Let others live their lives and lay off the judging and condemnation. The major risk all need to understand is that frequent absence from Sunday services will not always work out for the best. The fact remains that young people are going to look to role models as they pursue their dreams. Let's all congratulate the positive ones. It could be your kid!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Loved the article! Bless the hearts of these women and their families. We LOVE having the Weddles in our Stake. They are the "salt of the earth" type of family-- very, very down to earth and very committed to their callings. Bro. Weddle has been very gracious to speak to the youth of our stake on a couple occasions.

• BrianS Martinsburg, WV
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:17 a.m.

I find that sports is not glorified in the church. In the East you will find many wards where few young men take part in sports because it takes away from scouts/young men/seminary. Sundays, people are not preoccupied with football because they rarely get to see a Sunday game.

As for the fascination with professional athletes, I think people have the same reaction. It is not the professional athlete, so much as the common background. I get equally excited with professional athletes that came from my small high school. I love seeing people from my college playing pro football or basketball.

Eric Liddell's chosen field was running. Track and field was rarely held on Sundays. It certainly reflected well on him to choose honoring the sabbath over running, but there were many more days when he could compete. For the professional football player it would be the end of their career to stop competing on Sundays.

Finally, the high visibility of pro athletes makes for great missionary opportunities. Remember when Ezra Taft Benson was Secretary of Agriculture, he was told that was his calling, though it took time away from the Church.

• jenrmc Fort Worth, TX
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:11 a.m.

@SportzFan:

I wasn't judging. I was attempting to give feedback on statements made. I saw flaws in logic that I was addressing. I did initially make a comment that this poster was actually judging which was an opinion on my part but not a statement of condemnation. Had it been then I would have added that "you should be ashamed of yourself" or something along those lines.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Anti-Liar- Will you be voting for Mitt? Just wondering, because politicians work lots of Sundays. I can only imagine how really out of control the Republican nominations would get if Mitt came out and said " I'm there for you America, except Sundays"

I really feel for those who are judgmental.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:52 a.m.

16 weeks for the millions that they make...........and you come up with a story about how "tough" it is for these women???? PUUUULEASE!

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:52 a.m.

There will always be the issue of playing professional sports on Sunday, but to my knowledge, the LDS church has never made any statement condoning it. I've never heard that it's OK because it brings positive attention to the church. So, if there is a finger to be pointed, it should be pointed at the individual who made the choice, not the organization to which that individual belongs.

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:49 a.m.

jenrmc, Dadof8 and TJ -- what is it called when someone judges someone for judging?

• JeffE Grantsville, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:36 a.m.

I'm not a pro ball player, or a policeman, or a fireman, or a paramedic, but my work sometimes requires that I work on the sabbath due to project deadlines that are outside of my control. Football players are scheduled to work 15 times or less each year on the sabbath if you factor in bye weeks, and possibly playing on Thursday or Monday. I come close to that myself.

The commandments are here to bless our lives, not to provide ammo to condem each other. If we make choices that take us away from the blessings of obedience, it is between us and the Lord.

The gospel teaches us to explore and pursue our talents. Many people follow this to a career choice. If someone excells at something, especially in an area that has a lot of public interest, it can be a great missionary tool. When I lived in Texas I had a lot of discussions about Steve Young since the 49ers were major rivals of the Cowboys. This almost always led to discussions about what Mormons believe.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:23 a.m.

There will always be unhappy people who will attack successful people out of envy and bitterness. That's just so sad.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Anti-liar
    Clearly you don't really care what the answer to your questions are. Your intent is to stir up controversy. I am sure you will continue if you reply to this. I will answer your questions anyway. LDS do not worship or idolize any sports team or figure. There are fans, superfans and some who don't care. Anyone from any walk of life, can be LDS as long as they are willing to live LDS standards. As for Sabbath observance; There are many professions that require working on the sabbath. Like anyone else, when one chooses a profession, this is only one of many aspects of a job to consider. Firemen, Police officers, anyone who works at a hospital, people who work retail and professional athletes are required to work on the Sabbath. Some college athletes who are LDS are required to play on the Sabbath. It is a personal choice. The LDS church does not punish anyone for choosing a profession where they are required to work on the Sabbath any more than they do a Police officer or a Doctor. As you can see by the examples in this article, these people remain devoted to their religion.

• Dadof8 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 7:56 a.m.

wow....how easy some rush to judgment. One of the beauties of the gospel is that we have agency to choose, yet some of the responses show bitterness and self-righteousness. I find it refreshing to know that in a career choice that glamorizes their lives there are some who are making conscious efforts to maintain their roots, family values, and testimonies. Perhaps we can get ideas on how to do the same in our lives. Do you think that MIGHT have been the point of the article???

• jenrmc Fort Worth, TX
    Oct. 20, 2011 7:45 a.m.

@anti-liar:

Actually you did judge them. As far as why the attention paid to members of the Church isn't conducive to the teachings of the Church (in your opinion) why do you care? Personal choices of how to respond to someone's profession are yours to make but condemning another person's choice is not your right. Comparing two people's behavior is asinine and judging another person is against the teachings of Jesus Christ. Perhaps more emphasis should be placed on the good experiences people add to society instead of the lapses made in judgment that we perceive. As far as being mindful of mentioning Sabbath Day observance sensitively, isn't that showing love and consideration? You can mention the teaching but do so in a non-condemning way and still accomplish the goal of transferring knowledge. As far as a double standard to youth why not take this opportunity to discuss your beliefs and the way you live you life and why you feel your choice is right for you and your family. This could be a great discussion opportunity that can easily be marred by judgment and condemnation.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 6:48 a.m.

Yeah, tough life. Feel sorry for these millionaire stay at home wives and their struggles.

• Kelley Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 6:07 a.m.

Great article. It can't be easy living in the limelight. I wish you would have included Pua Lutui. I'd like to see how she and Deuce balance the demands of Sundays in the NFL and faith and family.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 1:17 a.m.

I'm sure these are all very nice and very good people. And I am not going to fault them.

But...

Why do so many in the Church glorify and worship sports, sports figures, various other celebrities, fame, stardom, and astronomical salaries? Why are LDS celebrities held up as emblems of just how cool the church and church membership is -- as though the plain-old doctrine, and the Power of God unto Salvation, aren't groovy enough on their own merits to attract people to the church and encourage them to stay?

Why is there this business of, "Yes, the Sabbath Day, BUT, professional sports is an exception," and rationalized with, "LDS athletes bring so much positive attention to the church" -- to where ward members are feeling like they'd better be "sensitive when discussing Sabbath Day observance around the Weddles?" And how confusing is this double standard to the young people?

Indeed, what of the Sabbath Day? What about Eric Liddell, the Christian and Olympic athlete, portrayed in the movie "Chariots of Fire," who refused to participate in the Olympics on Sunday -- who was far less concerned about the approval of the world, than he was about the Glory of God?