U.S. & World

Presidential hopefuls' spouses come under scrutiny

• Taylor Orem, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:50 p.m.

"It's been a rough month," Mrs. Perry said. "We have been brutalized and beaten up and chewed up in the press. We are being brutalized by our opponents and our own party. So much of that is, I think they look at him because of his faith."

So, you brutalize another's religion, calling it a cult and no member is fit for office, then feel like you are being brutalized for your religion??

Following Pastor Jeffress' comments on cults, Rick Perry declared that Jefress "hit it out of the park!" Something amiss with this whining?

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:49 p.m.

"If they don't pick Mitt, that's their stupid mistake, not mine," she often says to laughs.

Very classy.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:22 p.m.

I think mitts wife is pretty good at handling the pressures of being a candidates wife. A good sense of humor also helps.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:37 p.m.

I agree wholeheartedly and wish that my wife had that much confidence in me. Mr. Obama seems to be a class act as well but just misguided in policies. Kindness begets kindness and I'm trying my best to have kind thoughts about Republicans. But the extreme right keeps getting in the way.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:06 p.m.

@Ute Alum: What could you possibly have against Mrs. Obama? Understandably you don't like her husband, but I don't get your insinuation about her. Unless you're still taking her comment in the literal sense and can't get over it.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:31 p.m.

I believe any are better than the current one in the WH. However, Anne is best hands down.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:26 p.m.

So, Mrs Perry. You feel Rick is being "brutalized" for his faith?
    Welcome to Mitt's world.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:13 p.m.

Anne Romney is a class act.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:42 a.m.

Why is Perry's wife acting like the victim? It was your pastors comment that started all this. Could of just kept his mouth shut and this whole situation wouldnt have not happened. Perry is losing ground because people see that he isnt fit to run this country, not because of this religious debacle. Evangelicals not liking the Mormon religion is nothing new. Your pastor said it and if you stick by your pastor, you will have to deal with it. Romney is grilled constanly about his religion, when it has nothing to do with his abilities if elected president. If you cant take it being bullied by the press now, you arent going to handle being First Lady very well.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:28 a.m.

"He'd rather lose than be inauthentic," she said

Well he's obviously back to dying his hair again!!! So much about not wanting to be "inauthentic".

• Laura Ann Layton, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Go Ann! Having M.S. is a struggle and I'm proud of you.