Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes say John Cullen finishes plays, isn't a dirty player

Comments

• Birdie Putt SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 3:24 p.m.

I'm sorry but Executorloh you obviously didn't watch the same game. I agree that Cullen has had some fouls that have hurt the Utes this year, but he does play hard to the end of the whistle. I also assume the coaches teach the offensive line to hit until the whistle, otherwise he wouldn't continue with his aggressive play. I've been very frustrated with some of his fouls, but I'll defend him on this call. I was upset with the foul against Pittsburgh's Alecxih, so I went back and played it a few times and the whistle didn't blow until after Alecxih was on the ground (wasn't even close). Also, if Cullen was guilty of a foul then so was Alecxih whom blind sided John White a split second before Cullen laid him out. I agree with "BigUtahFan" comments on Alecxih also, Alecxih needs to look in the mirror before spouting off.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Duckhunter states:

"Playing hard isn't dirty but not being very good is a more apt description of cullen." (sic)

So you're saying you have been watching the Utes? Also, intently enough to be able to state that Cullen isn't dirty, just 'not very good'?

You be trollin' Duckhunter.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Cullen could be talented if he could stay focused an entire game. Cullen allowed two sacks that I remember plus a few penalties. It was a horrible game on his part.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 19, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Don't worry about that patriot. You won't have to sleep with any of them. Besides, shouldn't you be a lot more focused/concerned about the product Utah puts on the field rather than the hairdo under their helmets? This is the University of Utah; not Bon Losee Academy.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 10:26 a.m.

why do so many Utah players have long stringy hair and beards? It makes the program look cheap. You don't see that sort of scroungy look in the Big 10 or the Big 12. The Pac 12 seems to take on this west coast hippie look.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 19, 2011 9:58 a.m.

hohum and TexasGirlAUte:

My point was not that players didn't hear the whistle, but rather they could not differentiate the whistles in the North endzone from the onfield officials. So they erred on the side of caution and kept playing until the whistle was in their ear.

I was seated with the rest of the Utah fans all the way in the SOUTHeast endzone, and even WE were confused as to when a play was blown dead. If Cullen backs off of a play because he thought one of the officials blew their whistle -- and was wrong -- Hayes/White gets blown up in the play. It's bad enough that we're starting a D-II level dual-threat player under center in a Pro-style offense, but we also have a 180-lbs RB starting in his 1st year at the FBS level. We cannot afford any more injuries; especially not at those positions.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 8:49 a.m.

By the way it's football. One guy calling another guy "cheap" is pretty meaningless. Pretty much all of them take "cheap" shots at each other when they get the chance. Why do you utah "fans" even care? You won the game didn't you? It was a cheap shot, so what? There are always cheap shots by both teams in every game. It's football.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 8:36 a.m.

@mormon ute

cullen not being any good has nothing to do with BYU. I'm sorry your tender feelings are hurt hearing that but it's true. He is not very good. Actually he is pretty bad. But you don't have to take my word for it there are plenty of utah fans on here telling you the same thing.

LOL!

• TexasGirlAUte Draper, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:03 a.m.

@ Hohum

I think what Naval Vet meant was that the fans blowing whistles at the end of the field may have deceived the refs into thinking one of their own had blown the whistle instead... thus... flags being thrown before the play was officially declared over by the "real" whistle from the ref. I could be wrong but thats how I understood it. Either way, it doesn't make sense because that means that either the players weren't paying attention to the refs or the refs weren't paying attention to each other. You think if you fooled the Ref you'd fool the players as well... right? Haha, I'm probably not making any sense. oh well.

In any case, fan whistles really just lead the whole group (players and refs alike) into confusion.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:49 p.m.

During the play in question, the accusing Pitt player was shoving down John White IV (the same guy who rippped of White's helmet by the facemask) after the play was dead. Cullen retaliated---and got the flag. "Dirty". That's like Vlade Divac accusing Karl Malone of "flopping."

I'm OK with Cullen's fierce loyalty to his teamates...

Now, if only we can keep him from doing so many false starts.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Naval Vet:

Reread what you said, I think I missed something. If there were whistles blowing in that end of the field, wouldn't the u stop hitting early not late. You play until you hear a whistle, you would have stopped early. From what you say, the u was in fact hitting intentionally, after hearing the whistle.

To many penalties on one person, needs some serious coaching.

Having a reputation for being dirty or "aggressive" doesn't make you a better team. Trying to intimidate other players doesn't win games, only assignment football does.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 7:28 p.m.

*often too quick to criticize, was what I meant to say.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Cullen has proven to be a liability at times, but we really don't have a lot at tackle behind him. As far as the sacks given up, not all of that is on him. We are often to criticize a tackle getting beat around the corner, but there are plenty of times when it is not actually on them. I imagine skyline_ute knows what I'm talking about, but the entire O-Line has to work together on every play.

The center usually makes the presnap reads and the guards are responsible for calling out switches when guys blitz or stunt. Brenner, Mason and Stevens are all great players on the interior, but let's take into account that they're first-year starters at their positions (Brenner filled in some at tackle last year and Stevens played guard), and also that this is a new offense.

Please don't act like experts in criticizing a player's performance when you don't know the situation.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 18, 2011 7:02 p.m.

I'm not allowed in the film room because I don't know very much about the game and my comments would only confuse people--but I have to believe that even though Mr. Cullen has stopped a couple of drives with dumb penalties, the film would probably show him being responsible for opening up huge holes for big gains by a certain Mr. White. As for the defenders getting to the qb unimpeded, I would imagine that others may have been just as responsible as he. All I know, is that he was part of an offensive line that totally wore down BYU earlier in the year. My guess would be that he grades out very well or Davis wouldn't have him in there and if you were to suggest replacing him, Tim Davis would probably stare at you like you were an idiot.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Oct. 18, 2011 5:49 p.m.

sorry thunderstruck, I respectfully disagree.

If the team were better without him, he wouldn't be playing. The guy is loaded with talent and will work it out.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Those who criticize aren't playing in the game, usually because they aren't man enough.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:26 p.m.

executorloh,

go away if you dont have anything productive to say. You are just out looking for a fight and its just not welcome here.

As far as the article goes, John Cullen needs to step his play up. But he isn't a dirty player. Give me a break.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:46 p.m.

@Mormon Ute.
    This article is not about BYU's offensive line, it is about Utah's.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Almost half the article is about Bergstrom trying to sell how tough they are and that they finish plays. Truth is that Cullen hit the Panther after the play was over (after the whistle) and got flagged for it. There is nothing pure and noble about cheap shots; and yes, it was a dirty cheap shot.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Considering the lack of quality play so far by BYU's offensive line, I'm not sure your assessment of talent is very credible. You were so high on how good BYU's line was before the season started and look at what they accomplished.

• thunder struck Murray, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Re: pocyUte - uh, no way! He's not that good, he gets penalties and kills drives. we could do without him.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Oct. 18, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Though I'm frustrated with all penalties, especially those at critical times, Cullen is a stud, and a very good player. I expect him to get the emotions under control a bit more, but he is integral to the success of the team. Remember, he is part of the line that ground out 171 yards with White. Yes, he's also part of the line that gave up a bunch of sacks, but not all of that is on him, or the line.

I expect Cal to be a very similar game, a defensive grind, but fortunately I think our defense is better, and offense is too.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 18, 2011 1:13 p.m.

"Bergstrom emphasized that Utes keep battling and pushing the pile until they hear a whistle."

That's how WE finished plays when I was in high school: to the whistle. Incidentally, this brings me to my point...

I was in Pittsburgh for the game last weekend. What wasn't mentioned in THIS article [and neither in the Tribune's nor the local Pittsburgh media publications] was that the North endzone at Heinz Field were full of fans who brought their OWN "officials" whistles, and were blowing them throughout the game. I wonder how much of THAT had to do with a few late hits by Utah, because the closer you get to that end of the field, the more difficult it would be to distinguish between the officials on the field from the whistle-blowers in the stands.

GO UTES!!!

• Dand_Ute WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:55 a.m.

I'd love to see a breakdown of the penalty yards by player. I would bet that Cullen has the most career yards! The guy is penalized every single game, for just dumb stupid play.

• Skyline_Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:49 a.m.

@JeffInNorman
    I'm not sure what games you've been watching. I agree with your thoughts on Cullen but Bergstrom hasnt had a penalty since the Montana St. Game. The dude didn't give up a sack last season and has continued playing well this year. As a former o-lineman, the o-line is all watch and he Brenner consistently open up big holes for White. Not sure if you noticed but most of John White's yards came from running to the right. Even when they ran left he cut back to the right behind Bergstrom and Brenner to gain yards. Those 2 guys are studs, and according to most experts Bergstrom will be playong in the league next year, watch something besides the ball before you call someone overrated.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:36 a.m.

It's painful to watch Cullen's stupid penalties. He seems to set back the offense several times a game. Procedure, holding and his favorite, personal fouls. You know our backup left tackle must really be lacking for Cullen to still be in the lineup.

• BigUtahFan BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:29 a.m.

I'm sorry, but the guy that called Cullen a "dirty" player is the same guy that pulled John White down by his facemask not letting go until he hit the ground. This same guy blindsided John White on the same play that Cullen took that shot at him. Cullen was protecting his RB which he should do. 98 also ripped Bergstroms helmet off. Hey pot, meet kettle.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:21 a.m.

John White IV & Tim Davis believe they can block, that's all that matters.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 8:38 a.m.

• Jeff in Norman NORMAN, OK
    Oct. 18, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Cullen isn't dirty, he just can't block anybody. Cullen and Bergstrom are the two most over-hyped tackles that the Utes have had in the last 20 years. Bergstrom can block a little better but he jumps off side so much that the quarterback might as well have been sacked. Bergstrom and Cullen are no Jordan Gross.

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT