Utah

Jon M. Huntsman Sr.: Rich need to give more

Comments

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 4:51 p.m.

And to all the critical republicans who say give your money to the gov. read the article. he says you shouldn't be compelled to give it way through taxes, but that you should give it as charity.

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 4:48 p.m.

What vision, what commitment and what a great man.

Thanks Jon for being that kind of guy.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 19, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Starting new businesses or expanding existing businesses provides long term sustainable employment. These jobs are sustainable because they produce a profit.

While giving to charity is wonderful, and many charities are very necessary and do work that businesses cannot do, if you really want to provide long term employment you need to invest in wealth generating activities.

Government consumes wealth, it does not create wealth.
    All wealth is created in manufacturing, mining and agriculture. (Don't believe me? Just get rid of everything produced with manufacturing, mining and agriculture and just see what is left.) Government over regulation has just about outlawed wealth producing activities.

Let's bring our manufacturing jobs back. If we do not we can kiss America good bye.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:41 a.m.

I define Rich as being everyone who earns a dollar more than me. Tax 'em, take it all. How do we define rich...the Democrats are after salaried people who are successful. By the time Obama is through the defination of rich would probably start at about $50K. HIs problem is that he never did anything in the real world, he never earned any real money previously, so he is very jealous of all those who work hard and achieve success. Liberals, if you want to pay more to the government... go right ahead, don't wait.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:23 a.m.

The guy that is Occupying Deer Valley.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 6:05 p.m.

And who's going to pay for those Canadian buses Pres. Obama is riding in as he concurently runs for office and touts his concern for American jobs? The buses were purchased with our U.S. tax dollars, in Canada, and we need now to tax the rich, take money away from charities, to pay for them. This makes perfect sense to the Democrats, why cant you other guys see it?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm grateful for Huntsman Sr.'s charitable donations and his suggestion, yet it is true that we cannot, should not, force the rich, because then we are taking by force of law, and more freedoms are eroded.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 18, 2011 5:55 p.m.

One thing I see a lot of is harking back to what seems more like "horse and buggy" days. Do you want to still have women be allowed to vote? Can everyone get educated? Can we still have computers? When I see people refer to times in the past, and see it again and again, it leads me to wonder whether there is any thought to what changes they are willing to make in order to also change the political structure of just a few points. As the phrase goes, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it". And those of you who would like to see the wealthy saved from the nasty poor people--you may think you aren't among them, but eventually, without regulation of those with the most power, you will be. There's another expression, and before you bemoan regulations regarding business, remember it: Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• Cora Smith BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Conservitave Veteran: If you read my first post today you would have learned that I like the Huntsman's. Jr, also has a fair mind towards all of us.
    I try not to paint with a broad brush, but sometimes it's hard not to. In being snide, it was because I don't understand why more of the wealthy do not have the Huntsman attitude towards their fellow Americans. Look at the Koch bros. and Murdock and the rest of that particular brand of American. Those boys are paying millions upon millions to protect wealthy citizens and corporations at the expense of the poor and middle class. Instead of jobs, they have sent the jobs overseas for even more profit. Without a viable middle class we are going to be sunk. Children and grand children even worse off.I know its not simple, but we need revenue to put people to work.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 5:21 p.m.

patriot | 6:39 p.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    Cedar Hills, UT
    "He sympathizes with the protestors in New York City who have resolved to "Occupy Wall Street"

...Huntsman's misplaced sympathy for occupy wallstreet is more a key indicator of his unfitness for the presidency than anything else.

patriot | 1:56 p.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    Cedar Hills, UT

...I swear, the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. Huntsman really ought to change his political affiliation to democrat in the mean time.

===============================

You must not realize this enitre article is about Huntsman Sr. not Jr. right?
    or did you just read the title and go off on a rant?

Amzaing is right.....

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:30 p.m.

@Russ,

Love it! I get that kind of vibe from Huntsman .. i really like that guy.

• Conservative Veteran Layton, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:26 p.m.

@ Cora Smith

Before you are judgemental regarding Jon Huntsman Sr., you should realize that he started with virtually nothing. His family was poor. He did not marry into money. He created success with significant hardwork, an attitude of never giving up, sacrificing early on many of the more "fun living" persuits, and creating a success story like few other have or will in the future.

Corporations to not make their "fortunes off the backs of the working people of America". They reward their employees based on the market wage, based on the skills and service provided from the employee.

Why do those who are successful accomplish what many of us (including myself) do not? Because they are willing to sacrifice their time, take the risks of failure, and a whole lot of their own personal blood, sweat, and tears, never giving up, to achieve that success.

John Huntsman Sr gives back - not because he is compelled to through taxation, but by his own choice. Someday, we may see advances in overcoming cancer because of his charity. John Huntsman Sr. is the best example of a hero that I can think of - an ethical corporate man of character!

• Russ Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:56 p.m.

My Step dad lost his leg to cancer years ago and had to go in to get treatment for an infection of the stump a couple years ago. They were having trouble getting out of the car and an older man ran over to help them. He asked how everything was going and after a couple minutes he wished them good luck and left. When they walked in there was a picture of John Huntsman and it was the same man who had just helped them.
    He treated my family like any other person and did not ask for anything in return. When they got the statement from the center my parents were worried about how much it would cost because they did not have insurance coverage for it and were shocked that it was all covered.
    Before you continue your criticisms remember that not all rich people are as cynical and selfishly minded as you are.

• Cora Smith BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Yes ideed. We need to help those poor wealthy corporations and people. Those poor people, having made their fortunes (or some family member) off the backs of the working people in America don't have to give back anything. I love to support the wealthy, as the poor and middle class gets to pay for everything.
    After all,look at all the jobs the republicans have created, the better system of health insurance they have created, the positive stance on public education, (chough, gasp). The republicans only want personal wealth. Yes Im all for that. I dont want any workers rights either. My masters, I will help you!
    Golly, what AM radio brainwashing can do. Go Glen Beck.

• Conservative Veteran Layton, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:23 p.m.

This is the Huntsman I wish were running for president - Jon Huntsman Sr. that is. He is a man of principle and character - as well as very business savvy.

• mountainhiker Kansas City, Missouri
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Who is fighting Hollywood ?? WHO? Who is fighting the real war!? Who, Where are you? We need you!!
    Where is the warrior on the big screen to fight Hollywood's movies and shows and the music industry, by making virtuous acting! And Fight Hollywood with virtue, love, and good deeds!
    All wars are cultural wars! Society is determined by the culture it immerses itself in to a large extent. I think it is really good you are trying to cure cancer but look at the real cancer the bigger problem!!! Are any of the so called people with so much means taking on the Hollywoodgoodisevil piedpiper complex that is at work finishing the work of 1960's debased sexual revolution? Lets look at President Monson's talk from conference! Are people misdirected to where the real war is!? Are we letting the devil and his murderous shows in through the TV to our temple homes. The war for spirituality in our children is many times determined in front of the TV? Are we in lalala land? Or have we lost the passion for your own children's spirituality, happiness and success now and in the hereafter. Lets pray for the wisdom we need.

• Anon 64 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:00 p.m.

I agree with Awe. What is enough???

If I was Rich and I gave millions some one would say you need to give more.

When Fundamentalist get their tithe they then start working on the Love offering.

Socialism and Religion do not work. Religion is a Capitalist Idea, everyone progresses and does better.

Like pres Hickly and his RM Education Fund. Millions poured in to include some of mine but the Church will be much better off for it.

Notice South American Stake Presidents, They are often Young. There #1 and #2 are often older, sometimes much older. Reason All have great faith. Young President has great faith Education and knows how to use the Toys. Result growth. When I read about them being called in the Church News I pray for them.

Its a lot and its a lot soon.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Whom does Jon (big non issue) think is Rich and what is considered enough?

Lets take that alone. What is considered enough?

10% for your Tithe, and a decent Fast Offering. Whats Decent? That is up to the person giving.

I give my money mostly to the Church, because i know it goes where I send it. I evan did this prior to joining the church.

A person may not ask a visitor for Money or pass the Plate but they will sure take it when offered. Nothing Wrong With That by the Way. Religion is a Business get over it. I goes back to the Member of the 1st 12 that kept the purse. To the point of Jesus and him having words about it.

The Mormon Church keeps its business side and Non Profit Side Seperate and pays Taxes where needed. Have servive many attacks and audits and I am Extremely Proud of that.

Almost No One is in anything that there is No Money in.

i worked in a place that some said that "they do it for the kids". My answer was "can I have your pay check its more then mine".

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Amen! What a great and inspired man!

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:31 p.m.

I disagree. If a person is forced to give. They are not giving, they are being taxed.

If you mess with Religious giving a lot of people get hurt.

Asking for Money is the greatest fear of most Pastors with the exception of their becoming Divorced, which is a Death Sentence to their Paid Job in Religion. Weather you Teach full blown tithing or Chomp Change in the Offering Plate you are still subject to offending the Board.

The only way around this is for the Pastor to own the property and building and a RTM on the name of his Church.

Indie Non De Noms are the best at this.

Mormons are supposed to give 10% just to keep the TR punched. I have not been a TR Mormon for many years with no intention of changing anytime soon.

Mostly because I would Not stand in Circle in Laie with those that do go. Because many support those that Support Abortion. There is not enough soap for me to wash my hands clean of them. Because of that I will miss my daughters endowment session. I will go to the BYUH Cafe and cry in my Dim Sum.

• RonKearns COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:16 p.m.

I totally agree with Mr. Huntsman. And, I applaud

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Wow I am flabbergasted by the comments on this article. A rich guy suggests that the rich should share some of their excess money, and people go crazy.

The republicans are truly the party of the rich and for rich and will roundly criticize anyone who suggests that the rich share any of their money. I can't imagine the criticism who would be getting if he suggested that they also pay a bit more in taxes. I think Mr. Huntsman Sr. should be immediately kicked out of the republican party for such inappropriate comments. Maybe the Utah legislature should convene another special session, send the republicans into a closed caucus and come out and revoke Mr. Huntsman's party membership and then suggest that he move to California with others who have the same crazy thoughts. Maybe they could even offer to have the state pay for his transportation to the boarder.

• standfortruth MARAMEC, OK
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Is this from the same article that Huntsman, Sr. SLAMS Romney? I'm saddened to see him be....."ugly" w/Romney.

" Mr. Huntsman, a longtime Republican stalwart, had plenty to say, in the wide-ranging interview, about politics and the field of presidential candidates, notably Mitt Romney. Republican primary voters, Mr. Huntsman said, are ignoring the best and most qualified candidate, namely his son, Jon M. Huntsman Jr., a former Utah governor.

Mr. Romney, who led the 2002 Winter Olympics here, is hugely popular in Republican-dominated Utah, as is Mr. Huntsman Jr. Mr. Huntsman Sr. was a national finance co-chairman for the Romney campaign in 2008, but those days, he said, are over.

Ive worked for three different Romneys, he said. One time Mr. Romney was a liberal, in running for the Senate in 1994 in Massachusetts against Edward M. Kennedy, Mr. Huntsman said, the next time he was a moderate in running for governor in 2002, and now he is a conservative in seeking the presidency.

If you need to win that badly, he said, I guess you just kind of do what you have to do get a vote.

• mountainhiker Kansas City, Missouri
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:50 p.m.

I find that if someone wanted to do the most good with their money in current society they could try to change and influence the entertainment culture by having real virtous opposition movies to the entertainment of Hollywood! And Fight hollywood like a mad! All wars are cultural wars! Society is determined by the culture it immersis it self in. Hollywood pop culture with it's doped up, dumped down, drunk, cyclical broken middle school marriage marry go round dribble, high school gossip culture, animal relm, not the relm of Children of God, this is what is blasted at high volume on every media outlet that is what destroys society! I think it is good you are curing cancer but look at the real cancer the bigger problem! Are any of the so called wealthy people taking on hollywoodobamabiden complex that is at work finishing the work of 60's debased cultural revolution! If civilized society is destroyed whatever you put money in will be a empty whole. See president Monsons recent general confrence talk about the moral revolution. Fight by producing intertainment that teaches trueth and is wholesome. What is being painted on the blank slate of the childrens minds?

• Here'sthetruth NEW YORK, NY
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:28 p.m.

@Redshirt1701

Last year the federal goverment spent $1.91 for every $1.00 they increased in taxes. There are millions of charities out there and I would like you to show me one, just one, that has sustained that kind of spending. It is people who feel that government is a charity and that people are entitled to everything that are a huge problem. If you want to keep throwing out scriptures that in no way support your argument, how about a quote from President Benson: "There is, however, a far more common ailment among usand that is pride from the bottom looking up."

Show me one place in the Constitution, Federalist Papers, or writings from any Founding Father that suggests that government was set up to be a charity. Last time I checked, they were terrified of big government... but that's just how me and the Founders feel.. you are probably right.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:07 p.m.

I think there is nothing wrong with giving to Charity even to the point of 80% if they use it to help US citizens. But giving it to the government is wrong. All they will do is waste it, give it to other countries, spend it on needless war or use it to restrict the citizens even more. Big Government is as bad as banking, even worse.

It is time it should stop.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:06 p.m.

To "skeptic | 11:17 a.m" you can't control others when you are DEAD either.

To the rest of you who are bemoaning the fact that Huntsman wants to give to charity, and not the government, what is wrong with that? Currently 25% to 30% of the federal budget is taken up in salaries, so that means that the overhead rate for the federal government is at least 25%. There are many charities who operate with overhead rates much smaller than that. So, why complain when somebody wants their money to go to a charity that is more efficient than the government.

From the LDS scriptures Jacob 2:19 "And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do goodto clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."

It sure sounds like he believes in the LDS doctrine.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 12:03 p.m.

LDS Liberal thinks liberals are generous. That's a good one.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:41 a.m.

These comments show who reads articles and who only reads headlines.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:17 a.m.

The super rich can't give away their money and keep control over others too, money is power. Poverty stinks.

• MC Ute Midvale, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:11 a.m.

If rich need to give more, how about those in the "welfare system" and "entitlement system" taking less.How about polititians earning what the "medium US income" is and having to pay for their own insurance and their only retirement would be what they could save in their 401K like the rest of us. No Pensions, after all most companies do not have pensions any more only 401K plans. Show me ONE polititian who leaves office anything less than a millionaire and then tell me to give more. I am sorry, if I gave to every charity or person standing on the street, I would have to issues IOU's. People need to start to take some responsibility on their own behalf. If somebody wants to give everything they have go for it, write you check out but leave my money to do with what I choose that is what Freedom IS.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Kudos Mr. Huntsman, Kudos.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Re:Built2last
    Brooks study is flawed. For one thing, he didn't factor in cost-of-living. Research by the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy at Boston College identifies New York, Utah, California, Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Georgia, Massachusetts, Hawaii and South Carolina as the ten leaders in charitable giving among the 50 states. In addition, the District of Columbia was second only to New York in the new report, released this week by the Boston Foundation.

Furthermore. According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, the poor are the most charitable as a percentage of income.

As for the $16 muffins, it was a nice talking point without any basis in reality.

We ought to be concerned about how much time our elected representatives spend merely raising money for the next election. We could eliminate a lot of corruption by having voters contribute $50/yr for financing campaigns and limiting donations to $100 maximum, an idea put forth by Prof Lawrence Lessig of Harvard.

• Here'sthetruth NEW YORK, NY
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:57 a.m.

@Owen: "Why do you have a problem with the government commanding you to do something you've already been commanded to do?"

Where to begin with this logical fallacy. The commandment was to give what you had for the building of the KINGDOM OF GOD on the earth. Your whole argument is shot to shreads right there, but I'll continue.

In consecration, people give back to God because He blessed them to begin with. If you adhere to the notion that the president is God and we should give all we have back to the president and congress to distribute, then this is a valid argument, but you might have a hard time reasoning that Obama=God

With any commandment, all adherents have agency. If you obligate me to do something, then the whole premise of obeying a commandment is taken away.

I am all for reasoned discussion, but honestly, if you think taxation and consecration are the same thing, there is just no hope.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Wow,

I applaud Mr. Huntsman for making his statement, it is sad that so many on here attack him for suggesting those with "excess" share that with those less fortunate. I am a member of the predominant religion in this state, and I thought that concept was gospel doctrine, not only in the LDS church, but many others as well.

Maybe I missed something, I am sure I will be enlightened soon.

• Gruffi Gummi Logan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:46 a.m.

So go ahead, send out a fat check, but stop usurping the right to make this decision for ME.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Re: ". . . [Elder Huntsman] believes increased generosity among the nation's wealthiest could 'go a long way toward fixing things'."

Agreed.

But advocating or acquiescing in the fleecing of other people, be they the Nation's wealthiest, poorest, or anything in between, by the use of whatever "yours-is-mine" sophistry one chooses, is NOT generosity.

It will "fix" nothing. It will destroy everything.

Taking by force the property of another, whether done at the point of a gun, or by means of some "progressive," due-process hustle, is a mugging.

Each is the moral equivalent of the other.

Justifying either is socialist sophistry and, as Marx, Engels, and more modern socialists admit, leads inevitably to chaos, bloodshed, and genocide.

Always has. Every single time it's been tried.

Occupy Wall Street is just the most recent mad dash to ruin. If embraced, the unavoidable result is a "liberation" of America, indistinguishable from 1917-Russia, late-20s Germany, late-40s China, early-50s Korea, mid-50s Cuba, or mid-60s Africa and Latin America.

• Randy Clouse Highland, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:22 a.m.

When you give to the least you have given to me. Thank you for compassion and generosity.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:03 a.m.

A good example of how capitalism should work.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Jon Huntsman Sr. was my LDS Mission President many years ago.
    He lives his life under the creed: "Because I have been given much, I too must give."

Many do not know his Father taught school in a little one-room school house in Blackfoot Idaho. He didn't get his 1st pair of new shoes until he was 7 or 8 years old.

Although wealthy now - he always said he was never happier than when his dear Mother was still alive.
    She died from cancer while he was very young.
    All the money in the world could not bring her back - He always felt the if he had it, maybe he could use it to keep some other little boy or girl from feeling the grief and loss knew growing up.

God Bless you President Huntsman.

• Built2Last Provo, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:35 a.m.

To LDS Liberal: It is a known fact that conservatives give far more in charitable donations and donated time in service than liberals. See Arthur Brooks' study. Even though liberal family incomes average 6% highter than those of conservative families, conservative families give 30% more to charity on average. So push your liberal hypocrisy somewhere else.

I admire Jon Huntsman Sr. He has found ways to use his money to bless the lives of other people rather than giving it to the government to have it completely wasted. Anyone who thinks the answer is giving more to our corrupt government to waste away (see the story about $16 muffins at DOJ conference) is out of their mind.

• Lermentov PROVO, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Kargirl:

What you are suggesting is what Lenin tried to do in the Soviet Union--force the rich down so the poor could rise. One just has to read a little history of Stalin's forced collectivizations that killed millions to see the result. It didn't work and never will. I like the appeal that Jon Huntsman, Sr., is making--a free will offering to bring to pass much good in areas of his choosing. I think we would do better by inspiring rather than taking. Some will rise to the occasion; others will not. But just taking it will make us all the poorer in the long run. At the end of "A Christmas Carol", we see Scrooge gleefully going about doing good of his choosing, not just turning it over to an impersonal government. That's where the joy comes in.

• Herby Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I agree that the title of this article is misleading and confusing. I agree with giving more, but it shouldn't just mean money alone. I think the poor should give more time, effort, and hard work to helping the economy. How? By stop expecting handouts from everybody else and learn to be self reliant and self sufficient. This is the real reason our economy is hurting. Greed is also a factor but as a society we all worry to much about what everyone else is doing and we don't focus enough on our own efforts.

• Cora Smith BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 8:48 a.m.

John has always had a great sense of fairness for all. As governer he never tripped over himself trying to please any group or political party. He has the best mind of any of the current crop running for president.
    He has "All of Americans", in mind when he talks about our country.
    I can say without a doubt: AM radio, and all of talking heads would never be listened to by the likes of Huntsman. I doubt he would sign G. Norquists evil pledge either.

• MyChildrensKeeper Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 3:40 a.m.

Right attitude, wrong methods. While he is glorifying himself and all his generosity of being a philanthropist, which only serves as a measure among the rich bragging to each other, he enslaves and indentures his employees.

He should start giving back by giving to the economy and not selfish self interests. This man is using his wealth for power and political purposes, Huntsman did not build the cancer hospital(s), he donated to them so his reward was putting his name in them. Taxpayers built and run these institutes so don't let this man mislead the work of others.

The rich should not give back in glorifying themselves with public donations or taxation, they should be giving back by giving to those who made him his riches, his employees working for minimum wage and living in poverty. The rich are exploiting the workers and stripping the economy of growth by suppressing workers of any prosperity. Being fair and honorable to employees has nothing to do about education or years in public training school system, its about treating your subordinates with prosperity and just wages as well.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:32 p.m.

Anyone who looks at the amount of money the federal government takes in and how much it spends will soon realize that we don't lack income. The feds just won't quit spending it!

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:29 p.m.

"In February of 1831 the Prophet Joseph received a revelation in which the Church was commanded to remember the poor, and consecrate of thy properties for their support that every man who has need may be amply supplied and receive according to his wants (D&C 42:30,33). This has been the standing law of the Church from the beginning to the present, repeated and amplified in revelations and discourses." Gordon B. Hinckley, 9/5/01

"commanded" ... "amply" ... "wants" ... "subject to ... presidents" ... (If you say)"The man has brought upon himself his misery (and do not repent you have) no interest in the kingdom of God" ... "be ... free with your substance that (your brethren) may be rich like unto you."

Words have meaning. Plain and simple meaning. The question none of my more conservative friends answer: "Why do you have a problem with the government commanding you to do something you've already been commanded to do?" Redistribute it yourself (as Huntsman has done) or, if laws demand it, let less efficient bureaucrats redistribute it. Or change the law. Or suffer. During or after this life.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:18 p.m.

@patriot

You should do some investigating on your own about the Occupy Wall Street movement and quit getting your opinions fed to you by Hannity and Limbaugh, etc.

Are you not aware that this movement has spread, not just around the entire country, but around the globe? It is made up of people of all ages, race, and economic status who, unlike yourself, have finally woken from their slumber and are insisting things change. No more of this 'privatize the profits and socialize the losses' evil. No more bailing out the big banks and then paying them to use our own debit cards. No more corporate financing the politicians who are then forever indebted to their financiers. And yes, I'm speaking of all of them R and D.

I'm sorry, but if you are wealthy and vote Republican you are selfish. If you are NOT wealthy and vote Republican you are not thinking clearly.

BTW, should I judge the entire Tea Party by the loons with the guns and the racist signs? And, how many people have you seen at all the OWS protests who are openly carrying guns?

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:06 p.m.

@Too

It is their money. I'm not telling them what to do with it. I am merely suggesting they were given a chance to trickle it down, they didn't. We should go back to Clinton tax rates since the tax cuts didn't work for the upper bracket to get more money in the treasury. Just a little fairness, millionaires can write off depreciation for jets, joe blow can't write of depreciation for his car. Small business can't get help with loans. Big Oil gets millions of tax dollars subsidies.

@LVAlfre

Actually, the stuff I was talking about comes out of the Bible. It has nothing to do with the Middle East faith you brought up, but way to set up a straw man for your argument.

I was just pointing out the parallel of thinking and how it coincided with the Bible. You can interpret it how you want. Where much is given, much is expected. I think there are some rich people who are great examples of helping the community, but in my opinion, many people might need a loophole or two closed to see the light. Shared sacrifice includes the ultra-rich, too.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Joseph B. Wirthlin: The Great Commandment

"Nothing you do makes much of a difference if you do not have charity. You can speak with tongues, have the gift of prophecy, understand all mysteries, and possess all knowledge; even if you have the faith to move mountains, without charity it won't profit you at all....

"Without charityor the pure love of Christwhatever else we accomplish matters little. With it, all else becomes vibrant and alive."

I'd say Mr. Huntsman is correct. Thank you so much for being a good example, Mr. H.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Okay show of hands... how many people know whether or not the Jon Huntsman in the title is running for president? How many people know whether or not the Jon Huntsman advocated for tax increases in this article?

Does there need to be a cliffnotes version of this article or would that still have been too much for some of you to have read?

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:48 p.m.

@patriot

• buckbeaver Lake Forest, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Something to think about.....If the wealthy give more to charity, they can deduct more frome their taxes, which would decrease the amount of tax revenue.
    Just saying!

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:11 p.m.

The view of many economic winners, is that people only get rich because they live in a society that helps them make their bundle. Andrew Carnegie famously argued that wealth creation was a collective enterprise in his essay Gospel of Wealth, which called for an estate tax. Warren Buffett who says he was deeply influenced by Gospel Wealth is just one of many wealthy Americans who attribute their success to such public goods as universities, infrastructure, and government-funded scientific research. If you stick me down in the middle of Bangladesh or Peru, Buffett has said, youll find out how much this talent is going to produce in the wrong kind of soil.

The divide among the rich over taxes has sharpened as America has moved into the Information Age. Entrepreneurs who work in a complex knowledge economy are more likely to view wealth creation in collective terms and, as a practical matter, depend more on public structures. It makes sense to them to pay higher taxes to bolster these systems.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:05 p.m.

I do wish someone would explain to me the rationale for some of the middle class, working class, and downright poorer than a country church mouse folk who side with the Ebenezer Scrooges hanging on to their dead presidents with a death grip. It makes no sense why these folks, many of them barely hanging in there, are willing to see their fellow man and woman go without in favor of keeping favorable tax status for the uber-wealthy. The semantic game-playing of saying "raising taxes" when someone wants to move the tax code back to when the most favored among us paid more is a fancy bit of wordsmanship but not fair to the majority, and no one is asking to return to the rates of earlier years. If all these supporters are truly believing that the day is just around the corner that they, too, will be uber-wealthy, I would suggest they enter sweepstakes. The wealthy don't spend money to grow the economy. It didn't happen before and it isn't going to happen now.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Oh geez, another Soros comment.

Other than playing for different teams, how is Soros any different from the Koch brothers?

If you cant see the similarities, you are politically blind.

• stowaway Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:25 p.m.

I hope this paper's own CEO, Mark Willes, reads this article.

• Baxcus LEESBURG, VA
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Sooooooooooooo Republican!

Most comments here discussing money and what a rich fellow wants to do with it.

What Mr. Hunstman wants to do and what he thinks is his personal opinion... why does it bother you?.... Is that making you feel stingy and petty perhaps?

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Why don't the wealthy people who feel that everyone should get give up their money, just give up their own money and call it good?

Why is everyone greedy and fixated at stealing other peoples money? I have no problem with someone becoming super rich through their hard work and using their brain. That disparity doesn't bother me. It does bother me, when I my money is taken from me, to give to those who refuse to work and live off of the welfare system. Where is the protesters for that? Oh yeah they're they occupy protesters demanding that the government steal from other for them and give them other peoples money.

If the occupy group feel like they have had money stolen from them or have been wronged then there would be a clear court case to pursue. So why aren't they?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:39 p.m.

Anyone who has watched this filthy and phony debauchery on the occupy wall street "reality TV series" and actually takes it serious has no business running for president. These young, clueless, dirty punks are getting paid by the socialist monster himself George Soros and Unions to go down there and cause havoc and that is a fact - follow the money trail as they say. The DMC is also knee deep in this phony action and all in an attempt to cause more "hate the rich" class warfare which coincidentally folds nicely into Obama's latest 400 billion tax the rich budget tax fiasco. This occupy Wall street nonsense is as genuine as professional wrestling and the majority can't begin to explain why they are there or what they are trying to accomplish other than they get free drugs, sex and a nice check from Soros. Huntsman's misplaced sympathy for occupy wallstreet is more a key indicator of his unfitness for the presidency than anything else. I am happy that Jon donates millions but so do many other billionaires - Bill Gates!!

• SteveD North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:34 p.m.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. huntsman, several times, and he is a very generous and impressive man. I am sure he knows what he is talking about.

Several of the posters here, probably don't understand the difference between, rich people giving their money away and having it taxed. I do agree, the rich need to give more and the government needs to spend less.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:29 p.m.

@Wildcat,

"The law of consecration isn't open to interpretation, much like the word of wisdom isn't a voluntary guideline. I remember reading about people who left the church because of the sacrifice of living the law. Excessive richness now, or treasures in heaven?"

So sad. Sounds like Syrian law almost. Treasures in Heaven, like a 1000 virgins for being a martyr? Sorry, don't mean to relate your faith with the Middle East faith.

There's another way too. A way without what you faithfully cling to as the 'truth'. Just saying your statement is not mandatory to everybody. Maybe you should "grow up".

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Wildcat

It's their money. If they don't want to give it to charity, what business is that of yours? If they want to make overseas jobs why is that your business?

I don't think it's right either, but it's nobody's business but theirs. Let them do with their money what they want. The government has no right to tell rich people what they can and can't do with their money.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:13 p.m.

The elephant in the donation center is this: when these monstrously large checks are written and these terrific causes, foundations, and centers are underwritten, they serve only the intended recipients, and others are left out. Ultimately, large chunks of needy humanity fall through enormous cracks in the donation floor. No matter how well-intentioned, no way can every deserving person be helped. The most efficient way to do it is through government programs, and, in spite of what the noisemakers would like you to think, the silent majority are law-abiding and work as hard as they can if they are able and have something to do, even if it seems insignificant to someone else. And the people who do benefit are, as a group, grateful for what they receive. If you have never been part of this group, never had to take help such as I mention here, I thank you to not make assumptions you cannot possibly have the knowledge to make.

• Nosea Forest Grove, OR
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:12 p.m.

A better solution to the unprecedented wealth/income gap between rich and poor would be to outsource to other nations all CEO and executive positions (the same as they are doing to us, the working class). I am sure they can find plenty who would work for a fraction of what they take in compensation and this will save a bundle of money that then can be used to pay the masses something resembling more of living wage, thus decreasing poverty.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:06 p.m.

The idea that the rich shouldn't pay taxes because the government is wasteful is the most ridiculous, ill thought out idea in our society today; it's also one of the most destructive to our economy. Do these people have any clue what America would look like if none of us paid taxes?

I am so sick of middle class republicans defending the wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

The top 5% are currently paying about half the amount of taxes they were 50 years ago while the middle class's taxes have stayed virtually the same, yet middle class republicans think it's not fair to tax the rich.

Anyone who believes that giving the rich tax breaks will somehow benefit them someday doesn't understand basic math, or history for that matter.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:54 p.m.

It is wrong to get angry at people who are rich and do not use their money the way many of us, including me, should by helping others. If they are greedy, they will have to live with the choices they have made in this life. They have their agency to spend their money the way they want.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:53 p.m.

and the article was actually about Jon Huntsman Sr. who has more than walked the walk on this one...

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:51 p.m.

Don't worry folks, I have sounded off too without actually reading the article. I guess Mr. Huntsman said the rich should be more charitable. Nothing wrong with that per se, in fact I have heard that in church a few times myself...

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:33 p.m.

To all those who say, "if they want to give more, they can write a check," grow up. W gave the upper class tax cuts in hopes that they would invest more in America--you know, trickle down economics. What did they do? Shelter their money, invest in overseas jobs, use it to buy even more influence in government legislation. Do you really think most of the rich are going to give out of the goodness of their hearts--HA!

I remember reading how well the Pharisees were in helping out the people with their extra income :-). The bible said something about it would be harder for a rich man to enter heaven than a camel to go through the eye of the needle--WAIT A MINUTE, that's class warfare. That no good community organizer that roamed the middle east a couple millennium ago is trying to start class warfare against the good and decent money changers?

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Hey Huntsman! How about instead of whining about the "rich" giving more, talk about how the government needs to SPEND less! Why? Because no matter how much money we give the government, it will never be enough to pay for all their blunders,bailouts, welfare entitlements, incompetance and Solyndra debacles! We will never tax the rich enough to pay for everything the other half demands, never! There isn't enough money on the earth for socialism to continue!

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Huntsman senior said: "I SUGGESTED they give 80%". I don't think he meant for them to give more money to the corrupt government. John Jr. is playing into the leftists ploy of having the government take a little more from the OTHER GUY. Thinking that someone has a right to anybodys property or wealth is ludicrous. To our government leaders; clean your own house and stop spending so much!

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Notice the key word he used is GIVE. Rich should GIVE, it shouldn't be TAKEN.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Oooooh. Jon just sealed his fate!

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Huntsman sr has done many great things for our state and is a very generous man. It is too bad jr lacks his dads character and integrity.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:00 p.m.

@patriot,
    It appears you did not read the article or you lack reading comprehension skills. Mr. Huntsman did not say anything about taxes. He spoke about the need for super wealthy people to be more generous about donating their wealth to good causes. How can that make you so angry?

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:40 p.m.

What I keep finding ironic is that the Huntsman Cancer Institute does not accept charity cases. The Jon Hunstmans can get their financial investment back anytime they decide to sell.

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:32 p.m.

I believe that Jon Huntsman - not silver-spoon Jon Huntsman - is right, as a moral stand. However, this story seems to lead to confusion as to who said that the rich should give more. It also lends confusion as to how this might relate to the Occupy movement. I don't think that Mr. Huntsman advocates either taxation (redistribution) or Occupy. He simply has proclaimed his belief that it is better for everyone for the wealthy to become generous by giving their accumulated wealth away (at least 80%) rather than to have it taxed or inherited. This is conservative ideology.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:21 p.m.

@patriot | 1:56 p.m. Oct. 17, 2011

Oops, this is Jon Huntsman SR, not Junior. He is not talking about giving it to the government but to charities.

Not for my comment:

If you do three things; Graduate from high school, wait until you are twenty to get married, and wait to make a baby until after you are married, there is an 80% chance you will never live in poverty. Miss any one of them and there is an 80% chance you will live in poverty.

If you really want to impact poverty you need to convince people to study in school and teach them to have a little bit of self control.

While I do not believe in limiting a persons income, I do believe that if each of us received a plot of land (say an acre) and were to build a small, simple home on it (rules would apply, like homesteading) things would be far better.

If you had a home that nobody could take away and a garden plot it would go a long way toward ending human suffering.

Give me the land of inheritance like in the Old Testament.

• tac2 new york, ny
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:17 p.m.

I do think the ultra rich should give more, but not to the government. I think Jon Huntsman Sr's Huntsman Cancer treatment center has done much more to better society than the government would have done with that same money. If you are a multimillionaire there is so much good you can do without handing everything over to the wasteful mess the government is. You can start foundations, support scholarships for education, donate to medical research, help assist families who have difficulty paying large medical bills, etc. I don't think they should be required to give 80% of their wealth so that the government can hand out more entitlements, and pay for massive wasteful spending projects that do nothing to make this country great. We don't need bigger government, we need more benevolent people.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:16 p.m.

If there is to be sacrifice, why shouldn't the rich sacrifice too?

• Cougzz St. George, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:57 p.m.

@LDS Liberal:

First of all, it's Huntsmans, not Huntsman's. Secondly, he DOES think like Republicans. Hunstman Sr. said that the rich should not be required to give the money through taxes, that they should give from the goodness of their heart. The Liberals believe that the rich should be taxed more and more (socialism??). By the way, that's the difference between Socialism and the Law of Consecration. With Socialism, you are required to give. With the Law of Consecration, you give because you want to, not because you are taxed.

Don't misunderstand Hunstman's words.

• Fishback Salt Lake City, Ut
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Patriot - turn down the radio and read the article. JMH has poured hundred of millions of his own wealth into this community and is the sole reason why we have a world class cancer hospital in our great state. 1 in 3 of us will be affected by cancer. I am sure one of your relative has been treated at Huntsman Cancer Hospital. Think before you type.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Jon Huntsman needs to stop this game he is playing! He is a Democrat! Simply admit it, formally switch parties, and run against Obama. It is just silly for him to continue wasting time and money on this charade. He is irrelevant to the vast majority of Republicans.

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Certainly Jon Huntsman Sr. has been extraordinarily generous over the years and should be commended. The timing of the statement, however, seems politically convenient.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:18 p.m.

jonny jr. you could give more money. no one is stopping you unless Jon sr won't give you a larger allowance

• Andre Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Mr. Huntsman has it all wrong. The members of the "occupy" movement don't want billionaires going around building hospitals and engaging in 3rd world development. The only philanthropy they care about is their own pocketbooks. They feel entitled to cushy jobs, fat paychecks and generous benefits and they don't think they ought to have to work very hard or sacrifice for it. They want the government to step in, take your money, and give it to them. Period.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Bravo

Cudos to this man and the good he has done and continues to do.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Very thankful, and impressed, as well, with all the Huntsman family has done, and is doing in their goal to find the cure for cancer.

• Northern Logan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Rich need to give more sure.

Poor need to get up off the couch and stop making excuses as to why they can't do something.

Instead of blaming the rich, lets blame the poor for being poor its about as logical.

I love it how government punishes success.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Why can't more Republicans think like the Huntsman's?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:56 p.m.

no one is stopping Buffet or Huntsman from writing out a check to the IRS for 80% of their wealth. So I say to Buffet and Huntsman and all the Hollywood flakes go ahead and open your check book and write Uncle Sam that HUGE check - give it all away if you want and then watch it get squandered by the incompetent federal government!!! If you are so certain that the federal government is so super efficient then go ahead and donate Jon Huntsman - EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. What you will see is the BIG UNION boss's getting more than their fair share along with other corrupt organizations such as moveon.org and others. I swear, the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. Huntsman really ought to change his political affiliation to democrat in the mean time.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:55 p.m.

Hey John, contact me and you can start giving right here!