Sports

BYU football: BYU's offense still a work in progress

Comments

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 9:40 a.m.

BYU became a solid football team on that winning drive engineered by Riley Nelson against Utah State. Riley Nelson is a football player that others respect. The cougars have a good team made better by a courageous and innovative quarterback.The schedule is weak so BYU's best hope is that enough people have watched them on ESPN and a good Bowl gives them an offer.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:21 p.m.

@ DRay

You are correct again. I hold no quarter for Heaps that is clear. I am a believer in hard work and earning your keep.

I believe as you do that Doman over promised to Bronco and he, Doman was under delivering with Jake as QB 1 for the 2011 season. So like a good front man Bronco has fallen on the proverbial sword so to speak with his Work in Progress lines to the press.

I hope Jake has the moxy and maturity to learn from this much needed time of reckoning. Time will tell, just as it has for Riley and his team mates.

I do love the word Reckoning one of my favorite films Tombstone when the coolest character Doc Holiday, played by Val Kilmer duels with Johnny Ringo and he say's I am your huckleberry, why Johnny you look like someone just walked over your grave I think Jake might feel a little like that.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:23 p.m.

When in doubt, blitz. The prevent defense Bronco runs is a joke.

• TXBYUFAN Spring, TX
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Yes, the offense is looking better, but the competition hasn't been better. Do we look better because the quality of opponent has sharply declined or are they really getting better?

Some are looking forward to the TCU game as a measuring stick. But TCU hasn't really looked that great this year. They are not the same team as last year. So what will a win against them really mean?

I hope Riley keeps improving and that Doman is working with Heaps to toughen him up.

And to Holmoe: Keep working on getting us in a BCS conference! Independence is okay, but a BCS conference would be much, much better. Thanks for at least coming out and saying something. Even if it wasn't much, it was still something.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:34 p.m.

Some good comments above about the BYU game and the offense is a work in progress. I did not expect them to gain 500 yards on offense, but did think they would score in the 30's. Good outing for the Cougar offense. I also thought the defense gave the OSU QB too much time to throw the football. Had we rushed 5 - 6 guys instead of 3, the QB would have been on the run and likely made some long passes and had some others dropped.

I come on this board to read about my Cougars. Why some think this is a sounding board for the U is nuts. When/If I care enough to read about the team up north, then I would go to their articles. Haven't yet. Don't care to and I have similar attitude of the team in red that Max Hall had. Having to suffer reading about posts from anti BYU fans simply encourage me to like them all the less.

Go Cougars. With ISU, I am looking for 50+ pts. and 600+ yards.

• cougar4ever2 SLC, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:20 p.m.

The o line has given up less than 5 sacks this season. Utah gave up 7 sacks in their last game. The o line is the only consistent unit on the team right now and yet people who pretend to know about football and make comments on here continue to diss the o line. Unreal.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Wow, patriot, why so anti Riley and a balanced offense? One need look no further than, arguably (only arguably if you live under a rock) the best conference in college football, now and for the last...well, long time, the SEC. There are plenty of programs that are predominant running attack first. Your zeal for the Y is unquestionable and you have an obvious passion for an aerial game, but what is happening now has been proven to work, even be dominant, and, IMO, be exciting to watch as well.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:20 p.m.

RE The Sports Authority

Thank you! The stats never lie.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 5:10 p.m.

"BYU defense could not stop a red-shirt freshman quarterback."

I agree. How many freshman quarterbacks has BYU been torched by this season? Ole Miss, Texas, Utah State, San Jose, and Oregon State all played freshman QB's against BYU and the soft, conservative Cougar defense made them look like seasoned veterans. Even a freshman QB can look like a pro if he has 5+ seconds to throw the football almost every down. Would it kill Bronco to blitz on 3rd down? And when it is 3rd and 12 and you give the receivers a 15 yard cushion they are going to move the chains every time. I found myself hoping for 3rd and short situations because then Oregon State might try to run the ball and then the defense might actually have a chance to get the stop. The offense has definitely shown signs of improvement the last two weeks, but the defense seems to have taken a few steps backwards. They better get that fixed before October 22 or Casey Pachall (another freshman WB) is going to have his best game of the season. I'm sure he and Patterson are salivating watching film on Eason right now.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:55 p.m.

"Cougar fans are way past the loss to Utah"

Speak for yourself. That was the worst performance I have seen in my 30+ years of BYU fanhood and I will never be over it, though a win against TCU in two weeks would go a long way toward making me forget about it.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:44 p.m.

News For U

3) Utah is in a BCS conference and BYU is still a mid-major school.

You're really trying to argue that being winless in a BCS conference makes U more relevant than a Top 10 team that isn't in a BCS conference?

I got news for U: association with teams that are great is like being a bench warmer on a championship team. Your team/conference may be great, but that doesn't make you great.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:32 p.m.

3) Utah is in a BCS conference and BYU is still a mid-major school.

Which proves what?

Based on this Utah talking point, Indiana, which has been in a BCS conference since the BCS was created, has been MUCH more relevant and a much better football program since 1998 than Utah, TCU, Boise State, or BYU.

• Blue Chelan56 Chelan, WA
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Am I wrong, or was Jake Heaps missing from the sideline Sat? I looked and re-looked, didn't see him once. Did Coach Brandon take him up into the booth with him? The Bend but Don't Break defense, of the second half, just drives me crazy. The 6 and 7 sec. gifts to the Or. QB, with our 300 plus lbs. D. Tackles trying to get to him , caused fatigue and injury, let alone auto. movement of the chains down-field, then when in range, pick on our out-classed field corner for eazy scores. That will continue as the MO. for opponents D.strategy when they watch game film. Wish Coach would consider replacing our Boundary Corner with Sampson and move Hadley, at Boundary, to the Field Corner.To me that only makes sense.It will srengthen both positions at the Corners.I think Sampson is prepared enough now ,to handle the starting position duties. JUST DO IT ! Keep Goooong Cougs!

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Oct. 17, 2011 2:37 p.m.

News For U

Utah has played 2nd fiddle to BYU for most of the past half century and doesn't even come close in the list of meaningful accomplishments:

National Championships

AP Top 25 Finishes
    BYU 17
    Utah 5

Overall Record the Last Half-Century
    BYU 389-204-4 (65%)
    Utah 308-253-4 (55%)

Do something on a national scale, then you can talk about being something more than a little brother.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:48 p.m.

I attended the game. BYU is fortunate to get a win. Officials were a bit bias in favor of the PAC. BYU played better than in the past, but without the OSU fumbles, I believe the Beavers would have won. BYU defense could not stop a red-shirt freshman quarterback. Normally, they either completed passes or dropped them, we did little defending. Playing against a team with a really good QB would be a slaugher. The coaches still talk like they are in the pre-season because by the end of the year they will probably have all the problems resolved. I don't recall hearing this kind of conversation from a coaching staff. I wonder how other teams get prepared to play the first game of the season? Seems strange. Still, football is only the number 5 priority for our players so it probably all makes sense.

• News For U Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:45 p.m.

@ Cougars - Foolish Little Brothers

"Our BYU-obsessed little brothers are just jealous that BYU has a better PAC 12 record, 1-1, than the Utes, 0-3. We knew our little brother was going to struggle in his first year in a big boys' conference, so we threw him a bone with our turnover fest so he could have at least one highlight to remember from an otherwise dismal season".

Just an FYI:

1) The University of Utah was the first established University west of the Mississippi River. You can't get any older than that.

2) Utah owns the head to head rivalry 55-34-4.

3) Utah is in a BCS conference and BYU is still a mid-major school.

Your comment is so typical of byu fans and their little brother syndrome always trying to beat their older brother with sticks and stones and name calling. Then one day big brother goes down south and thumps his little brother by 44 points. Oh by the way, thanks for the bone. Teams that claim they gave it to you don't have pride. Hang in there band of little brothers!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Anne26 | 12:40 p.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    West Jordan, UT

Sorry Anne,

BYU fans, stop blasting the Utes.

===

:-)

• Ute's R Gr8 Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:12 p.m.

@ MJB; Urban Meyer, Kyle Whittingham, Norm Chow era! All Dr. Hills doing.

BYU non football sports in WCC era! All Holmoe.

MJB; isn't that a coffee?

Hang in there Band of Lil Brothers.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Re: Ute's R Gr8. Post Majerus era! All Dr. Hill's doing.

• Ute's R Gr8 Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:40 p.m.

@ WhatsInItForMe;DEAL! you guys take Holmoe and I'll take Dr. Hill any day of the week, you need to take the blinders off and look at the carnage left behind from Holmoes emotional based Independence decision.

@ CougFaninTX; I agree totally with your figures thus far, I never said it would happen over night but, it will eventually happen. Thats why I would like to see BYU position themselves to get into a BCS qualifying conference before they get shut out.
    Hang in there Band of Lil Brother.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:40 p.m.

@Veritas: You might want to look again at the posts. While there are only two posts negative about BYU, there were others that took digs at the University of Utah. Your comment makes it seem like you are okay with BYU fans blasting their hate at the U, but not Utah fans criticizing the Y?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Nelson is a gritty kid that is one of the better run type QB's you will find. BYU will win some games under Nelson but they will always have more rush yards than pass going forward. BYU won't ever crack the TOP 20 under Nelson but it seems that Bronco is content where his team is at with a 5-2 record. Anyway, it is sort of hard for Y fans to transition to the run offense but better get used to it.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Dear Deseret News Moderators:

Notice this comment board.

Aside from "Thunder mayf and pipes", please notice the tone of this comment board.

It's focused on the story, and sports. Not a forum for people to blast their hate of a University or the Institution that it represents.

I don't know if the haters are on a fall break, or if you have tried to keep the offensive, off-topic comments to a minimum, but this is what the boards should look like, IMO.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:08 p.m.

@Hapa

I don't see it as a problem with Jake.

A sophomore can't be "weighed and measured found lacking" (great quote btw... Loved the movie) as a sophomore, when he has 2-3 years left to grow into what he can become.

I see it that Jake was led to believe the hype surrounding him, and has never been pushed into proving it on the field. The coaches allowed him to believe he was all that, and they never made him feel the pressure. He was not prepared to lead the team. Therefore, he was set up to fail. He did not come in to the program as a starting D-1 qb, and it has been shown.

I have been impressed with Nelson, and if Lark is great, so be it.

I personally think the blame rests with Bronco and Doman.

I just don't believe it's time to throw Jake under the bus yet.

(Hapa, I always do appreciate your comments, though. You always seem to know what you are talking about. I just think you are a little biased against Heaps. If you are honest with yourself, don't you think he still has potential?)

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:53 a.m.

cowboy99 | 11:34 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    South Jordan, UT

Veritas Aequitas | 10:55 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT

Lowered expectations = Lowered production

I will always love a good football game especially with my Cougars but if we're going to do this we might as well do it right.

Good teams rebuild, great teams replace. (We did it with Beck>>Hall and Harline>>Pitta let's keep it up.)

===

I agree with you.

I just don't see where any expectations were lowered.

From what I heard, the coaches felt more pressure over this summer than ever before.

My point is this year has gone from one with every high expectations, to what it has become (for both local universities). -- Not every season can be a Jimmer season, that's what makes Jimmer seasons so very special.

I'm going to do what any sports lover does.

Sit back, and watch how the coaches and kids respond to adversity.

And, if a smile creeps in when I see something good, well, bonus for me.

That being said, you are right.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:50 a.m.

If there is one bad year to schedule as an independent, it is the first year. So many schedules are already set. Take a look at next year's schedule, far tougher and more interesting. All the same, I would rather be in a good conference playing for a conference championship and a BCS bowl. Utah is fortunate to have that opportunity now. I'm still hoping for BYU.

As for Utah fans and trolls. This is one person who skips over digs and just looks for intelligent comments. Otherwise I don't care if you're better or BYU is better. It's just a game. Go find something meaningful to do.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:38 a.m.

@ DRay

Your description of Heaps is dead on the mark, perfect. Bronco and the rest of the coach's know that they have not invested wisely. It is obvious to all to see that every aspect of the BYU football team has exponentially leaped forward to a completely new level of performance with Riley's guidance.

Bronco to save face must lead all conversations concerning the QB's with It is a work in progress, or with I like what I see in Riley , and conclude his conversations with Jake is learning taking it in stride, however we all know better.

Sadly the real victim in all of this QB work in progress has been James Lark. James is a class act all the way, he is the one who should be QB#2 his work ethic and mechanics have been ignored along with Riley making room for Heaps who has been weighed and measured found lacking, hyped, packaged and sold and returned to the shelf.

The rest of this season has a nice feel to it and I hope the coach's continue to see through the glass clearly not darkly.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Assuming a blow out by the 3rd period, my vote is to put Lark in for the remainder of the game.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas | 10:55 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT

Lowered expectations = Lowered production

• Ballfan6 AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:07 a.m.

I am a pretty big byu fan. But i think we are all being a little impatient. We knew we were going to take a couple licks with the young QB and team. All we can ask for is improvement and i think they are improving. I think the defense will show up again and be tough. They will find a way to get it done

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:04 a.m.

The Beavers were chippy and the officiating was done with a blind eye to obvious infractions. Bronco was gracious in his compliments to OSU. A win is nice, rising above the trash talk is even better.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:58 a.m.

@Ute's R Gr8
    The four superconference notion is dead for now. Thank you to the PAC12 for ending that crazy notion.

We will move from six BCS conferences to five BCS conferences, but I'm predicting:

SEC will grow by one more to 14 by adding Missouri or West Viginia.

Big12 will grow to 12 next year by adding BYU and West Virginia / Louisville or Boise State / Air Force.

ACC will stand pat with 14

PAC12 will stand pat with 12. If they didn't want OK and TX, who would they want?

Big10 will stand pat with 12

Big East will turn into a non-BCS conference as soon as the current term is over - I believe it's 2013. Boise State and Air Force would be nuts to join this sinking ship for one year of AQ status.

MWC / Conf USA merger will turn into the debacle of the decade with teams fleeing within a year or two to create a new conference.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:55 a.m.

Our BYU-obsessed little brothers are just jealous that BYU has a better PAC 12 record, 1-1, than the Utes, 0-3. We knew our little brother was going to struggle in his first year in a big boys' conference, so we threw him a bone with our turnover fest so he could have at least one highlight to remember from an otherwise dismal season.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:55 a.m.

cowboy99 | 10:23 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    South Jordan, UT

CougFaninTX | 7:13 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    Frisco, TX

"To be honest there none of the teams we've played or will play were any good. That's why this season has been so depressing."

===

Fans are spoiled.

You need to learn to enjoy the game.

Watching two kids fight it out for the starting QB job. Watching another elevate his game when he plays in front of his friends and family.

And both local teams leaving the MWC and the stupid MWC television contract.

This has been a great year, and the future looks even brighter.

Now, step away from the ledge and give your kids a hug.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:47 a.m.

"BYU football: BYU's offense still a work in progress"

===

It has been for two years.

Still, enjoying the games...

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:23 a.m.

CougFaninTX | 7:13 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011
    Frisco, TX

"Even if we win out, but lose to TCU; and end with a 9-3 record - this season will be remember as one where we beat the teams we were suppose to beat and lost to the good teams on the schedule. "

What's happened to the defense? At the beginning of the year they were stout and now look like they're on roller skates out there.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:08 a.m.

BYU's offense a work in progress? Their defense is a work in progress. Their secondary is being exploited big time with the passing game. They are not putting enough pressure on the quarterback, and the secondary is lacking in speed. Actually, it is impossible to cover receivers in a situation where an opposing team has a decent quarterback. So more pressure from linebackers and blitzing corners and safeties is the answer. You can't give good passers time to get the ball to speedy receivers. Luckily, other than TCU, the remaining schudule is very flat with mediocre teams. TCU and Hawaii will be adventures no doubt. Luckily Riley Nelson has brought his elusive running skills to the quarterback position. Otherwise BYU would be in a "heap" of trouble. Alisa and the running backs along with a resurgent offensive line has provided some offense. However, Oregon State is a sorry ballclub. So don't get too excited at this point about BYU progress. 38-28 is nothing to crow about. BYU's sorry road record historically against decent teams says it all. It was a good victory no doubt about it; but Oregon State is among the dregs of the Pac-12.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:07 a.m.

"The Cougars did surrender a pair of turnovers an Alisa fumble in BYU territory, followed by Nelson's pick-six late in the first half."

That pick never should have been thrown, but more importantly it never should've been CALLED. The Cougars were on the left hash mark and the throw was to the right. That is an NFL throw with a QB who, no disrespect to his other abilities, doesn't have an NFL arm. Check that. NFL hashmarks are narrower. Even NFL QB's aren't asked to make that throw. Please don't call that again, Doman. Have Riley do what Riley can do.

Alisa fumbled without being hit by a defender. The Cougars need to learn the Tiki-Tuck.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:00 a.m.

@ Ute's R Gr8,

The four 16-team superleagues won't happen. With the Pac-12 not taking Oklahoma and Texas, and with the B12 stabilizing themselves, there will be at least 5 BCS conferences going forward for a very long time.

And I'd take Holmoe over Hill any day.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Not to say they weren't all valid, but Pac-12 refs did it again.

In two games BYU has played vs. Pac-12, BYU has averaged 9 penalties per game for 74.5 yards. Against the other five opponents, BYU averages 3.8 penalties for 30.8 yards.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:15 a.m.

It was well pointed out that lack of protection for the qb is one reason Riley Nelson is needed over Jake Heeps...Jake can throw better, but not when under fire, he seemed to panic and did not scramble as Riley does. Riley is first a football player, 2nd a qb, whereas Jake is a qb who seems to have no liking for the block and tackle of football.

Cougar team seems to be improving each game, proof of real improvement will come against the better teams, like TCU, love to see Y get a win there.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:03 a.m.

@ Thuder Mayf
    Independents' stadiums- Institution Football Stadium Capacity

Army- Michie Stadium= 40,000
    BYU- LaVell Edwards Stadium= 66,923
    Navy Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium= 34,000
    Notre Dame- Notre Dame Stadium= 80,975

There are 4 division 1 independant and all very successful football programs, which one would you call insignficant? It is very good to be independant!

• Ute's R Gr8 Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:02 a.m.

I told everyone two weeks ago, that Texas looks out for themselves FIRST. Thats why TCU instead of BYU.
    With that said, I believe the super 16 leagues will come to fruition, I do hope that BYU finds a league, their program has been consisted for years and they are better than any bottom half of all leagues.
    Get Holmoe out and get somebody in that is qualified to guide a good program into a BCS qualifying league.

Good Luck Band of Lil Brothers, I hope it works out for you guys.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Thunder mayf and pipes: trolls.

Cougar fans are way past the loss to Utah, whereas utes are hanging their whole season on it. Nothing left to be proud of.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Nothing the Cougars do this season will compensate for the 54-10 beat down we took at the hands of the utes. Until we beat them, that pain will not go away!

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:41 a.m.

I thought BYU was in control of the game. Nelson did well. Alisa still rocking it. and the recievers seemed to be catching. The O-line is still struggling on pass protection, so Nelson is the right guy at QB, he can get out of there when needed. Good job cougars.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:13 a.m.

Idaho State should be a blowout. I'm guessing we'll see Heaps again in 2nd half.

A fews ago, I was not giving the Cougs a chance against TCU. Now I believe we can get a win if we play a very good game with no turnovers.

I think it will take a win against TCU to turn the season into one that's respectable.

Go Cougs!

• Thunder Mayf Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:02 a.m.

Every week it's reported that 'BYU's offense still a work in progress.' Enough already. Unless your progress takes you to a conference that matters I'm going to contiue to be an extremely bored fan. I'm sorry to say that Independence equals Insignificance.