Sports

Utah football: Utes beat Pitt 26-14

Comments

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 2:42 p.m.

The way I see it, BYU should be grateful to the Utes. After all, that beat down spurred some changes that have turned around your team and your season. You haven't lost since. So where's the thanks and the love?

• Here'sthetruth NEW YORK, NY
    Oct. 18, 2011 11:03 a.m.

As cougar, we have no room to bash Utah. They beat us 54-10 at home. Just because we beat the worst team in the PAC-12 doesn't make us better than them. Refer back to "54-10"

• SI SANDY, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:00 p.m.

To "utesovertide", yes - I've watched my share of college football over the years, Especially during my time, and my son's time as D1 college football players, so I figure I'm qualified to make the comments I made. The difference between you and I is I don't allow my allegience to the U to make me stupid. I can take off my 'red' colored glasses long enough to call a spade a spade - and these were two bad, inept football teams that played on Sat. Case in point - Utah is ranked 99th in the country in overall offense, Pittsburg 90th. Utah is 54nd in overall defense, Pittsburgh 68th. And yet with those feeble statistics all these two teams could muster against each other was one offensive toughdown on a tipped pass. Like two teams pounding theirs heads against the wall don't ya think? So you tell me - where does the optimism that Utah can now, with this 'statement' victory, all of a sudden be competive against much stronger PAC 12 competition? The difference between Florida/Auburn's scoring futility was there was talent on the field.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Mormon Ute,

Goods points

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:39 p.m.

WON84:

"I'm guessing Jenny84, Naval Vet, and mgr are trying to find a way to tie this to BYU in some way as opposed to enjoying a good win. Silly children."

So you've presented a hypothetical, then attacked it as though it were fact. That's called a "straw man", and it's the last bastion of defense for frantic and emotional cougar fans who have no spears left in their arsenal. Haha! Typical coug, but at least you're not alone in your favorite brand of logical fallacies. You get to keep company with "PAC 10.2 Doormat" who attacked Ute fans for "turn(ing) the talk back to winning the South Division", depite no fans on this thread talking about doing so.

I spent the weekend in Pittsburgh, and didn't drive back until yesterday evening, so I haven't had the time to LOL at you and "Indy-WAC Nobody-Wants-US Doormat" until right about now.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 10:02 a.m.

worf,

Don't hang your hat on that winning record too much. None of those 5 wins have come over teams with a winning record. Of course Utah has only beaten one team with a winning record and that team is an FCS team. So, outside the head to head match up things seem pretty even.

BYU still has to go to Dallas and play TCU and to Hawaii. Those games aren't going to be cake walks. Utah has a couple of conference games remaing that could be challenges too. I think both teams will finish with winning records, but certainly not as rosy as fans of both teams thought.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:42 a.m.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmid,

54-10?

BYU 5 & 2
    Utes 3 & 3

Enough said. No excuses! No whining!

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Nice work, the defensive prowess was something to see. I also like that new Quarterback. You have something there.

Haven't gotten to check all of the comments but, I'm guessing Jenny84, Naval Vet, and mgr are trying to find a way to tie this to BYU in some way as opposed to enjoying a good win. Silly children

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:02 p.m.

"PAC 10.2 Doormat | 8:49 p.m. Oct. 16, 2011
    Springville, UT
    Utes win one game out of the last three, 0-3 in conference play and the talk turns back to winning the South Division.

"California Dreamin'""

Yeah, 54-10. 540-1 and last I checked, 54-10 and BYU just fumbled again. 54-10.

• PAC 10.2 Doormat Springville, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 8:49 p.m.

"California Dreamin'"

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:46 p.m.

Max & Jenny83 & SoonerUte,

I knew the whining would begin. Bwah! We play tougher teams.

Didn't the utes get creamed by a wac team last year? Umm. A MWC team also.

• Utes001 Magna, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:30 p.m.

The offense's problems can be placed at the feet of the two senior tackles: Bergstrom and even more so Cullen. A simple look at the tape will show the both of them, particularly Cullen, are good for at least two awful and very ill-timed blunders per game. Whenever there is a mistake by the offense, you can bet that 77 or 70 are strong candidates to have been involved some way. Any doubt I'm correct? Cullen's first game of the season; @ USC, 3 penalties, including a false start in the red-zone that killed a drive. Week 3 @ TDS: Cullen had another penalty in the red-zone. Also, Bergstrom gets injured and the line starts to play better in the second half. Coincidence? Vs. Wash. Cullen gets a holding and a false start, and I think the holding was in the red-zone. Vs. ASU both allowed sacks, were penalized, and did their share to kill drives. And lets' not forget that dandy personal foul yesterday on Cullen, another drive killer. Bergstrom was routinely beaten around the edge all game long and most of the positive yardage White got was through the "A Gaps." Tape doesn't lie folks.

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Oct. 16, 2011 4:36 p.m.

@SoonerUte. The stat that "really burns" is: (# of pac-x wins this season) Utes "0."

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 1:04 p.m.

"Amazing that BYU gets a pac10 win before utah."
    BYU will also get more wins against the WAC this year than Utah will.

BYU also been passed over by 3 expanding BCS conferences.
    Three.
    That stat burns, doesn't it?

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:57 p.m.

SI, no comments from the peanut gallery. You must not watch very much college football beyond the Utah teams, or you would know that games like that are very common. An example was the Florida vs. Auburn game yesterday. Florida didn't do much and only scored 6 points (2 field goals), but kept Auburn from scoring more than 14 points all the way to the end of the 4th quarter. So Florida had the chance to win, and Auburn is ranked.

The guy on ESPN who made that comment in the studio aught to miss his next paycheck. ESPN makes lots of good money by televising AMATEURS and has no business making comments like that. I was pretty appalled when I heard him say it.

The Utes can grow from this game if they choose to and start to put the rest of the season together the way they want. I'm excited to see what they put together for Cal.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 11:40 a.m.

The east coast, washed up ex QB, 2nd team espn, "in-studio commentator" had to provide some cover for his man crush on pitt's special teams.

Clearly anticipating an east coast beatdown, he had to discount the game because his east coast buddies ended up getting man-handled by UTAH's defense.

Any day a team from Utah, be it UTAH, BYU or USU, beats a team from the "little least", is a great day to be a college football fan.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:25 a.m.

Congrats on the win!

• SI SANDY, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Wow. I'd better go back and watch the game again on Tivo - I sure didn't see what all you are so excited about. Defense played great and has played great all season. The offense can't score and I don't know where all the optimism ccomes from for a team that can't score points, whose red zone proficiency is something like 116th in the country! Our corners are terrible and Black routinely has the cleanest uniform on the field at the end of the game - he won't tackly anybody, just tries to knock them down. Hays is a competitor but too small, too many passes getting knocked down. I thought the in-studio commentator was right on following the game when he said "I feel like we should probably apologize for what you've just spent the last 3 hours and 19 minutes watching". Two totally inept teams - looked like high school football.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 16, 2011 7:14 a.m.

------Joe Schmoe | 7:45 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Orem, UT
    Amazing that BYU gets a pac10 win before utah.-------

Sure, but BYU lost to Utah 54-10 so that makes you guy preety weak sauce for trying to talk smack. Btw, how many BCS bowl games has BYU been to and won?

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:54 a.m.

Finally, a win against a real program!

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:11 a.m.

Byu beats a 1-5 team and acts like they just won the National Championship.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:13 p.m.

The Utes did their job for the conference by going 3-0 non-con. Now hopefully they can get a conference win. next week at Cal would be nice.

Go Utes!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:05 p.m.

I was worried the Utes might not win another game. Glad the defense has a lot more pride than that. Chow will coach Hays up and the Utes still have a good shot to go .500 and get to a bowl.

They don't have anything left to play for in the PAC other than pride but it seems like they have a lot of that.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Congratulations Utah. It is nice to see you back on track.

From a Cougar fan.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:50 p.m.

indycrimson, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Going 1-0 in Berkeley next week is a good enough goal for right now. Glad to see we did some things good today, though.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:26 p.m.

The Utes are 3-3 and really have a chance to win their remaining games. Cal is not strong...Oregon State got beat by a team we beat by 40+ points, wash state is not good, AZ fired their coach last week...UCLA??? Haven't seen them play...

They could end up 8-3 with some luck. There 3 losses look like they were against the cream of the P12 crop...USC (5-0); Washington (5-1) and a highly ranked AState team.

Not a bad 1st year in the P12....if it happens as I have scripted it???

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Joe Schmoe:

BYU didn't have to play USC, UW, or ASU.

Does 54-10 ring a bell?

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:09 p.m.

This was an impressive win traveling back east to Pitt, a team that will soon be leaving the Big East for the ACC. It was impressive considering Christopher, our leading receiver, was out in addition to Wynn also being out. Our defense continues to dominate, as they didn't allow a touchdown all day, and they held Graham, the nation's leading rusher, to 46 yards, 100 yards below his average.
    I thought Hays did a good job, considering the pressure he is under.

Finally, the game ball should either go to Shelby (what a stud) or Coleman Petersen. Without Petersen's steady foot today, we lose this game.

Great job, Utes!!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Amazing that BYU gets a pac10 win before utah.

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Defense! Defense! Defense!

The rest of the season seems winnable.

Go Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:47 p.m.

wwookie, very good showing, but I wouldn't say the worries are entirely resolved. Coleman kicked a great game today, but he needs to show consistency in more than one game. But I think he does deserve the most praise for the day, kicking even one field goal in that stadium with those winds is never an easy task, even for NFL kickers. I'd like to see what the record is for the most field goals kicked in Heinz Field without a miss. Probably not much better than today's.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:41 p.m.

gdog3finally, you have a point to some extent about the assistant coaching, but not entirely. The Utes have done a great job under Whit with the offensive line. Their current coach, Tim Davis, was the O-line coach at USC in their recent championship years and worked with Alabama and the Miami Dolphins more recently. He's a great coach and a large part of the reason Coach Chow came to us. The previous 2 O-line coaches were very good as well, sending guys like Zane Beadles, Caleb Schlauderaff and Zane Taylor to the NFL. Hill is a good position coach, but I agree they need an actual special teams coordinator.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Ute defense was amazing. Pushed the opposing O-line around all game long - or rather the 20 minutes the panthers actually had possession.

Offense didn't have turnovers and without the mess ups in special teams, this game would have been a real blow-out.

And what about Peterson? 4/4 on FGs, including a 45 yarder.

All those worries we had in pre-season have now come down to the qb position and that is getting better each game after Wynn went down. Hays is looking decent.

Bring on the bears!

Go Utes!

• artinnature Payson, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:08 p.m.

I was quite concerned about the Ute offensive line allowing so many negative yards on running plays but very proud of the defense who were the heroes today. From a fan of both the Utes and the Cougars I am very please with both great wins today.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:05 p.m.

The Utes won but should have blown Pitt out. This years Utes are a team of blunder. Utah dominates 75% of the snaps on both sides of theball, but it's the plays they don't dominate, where the self implode.

Utah man handles Washington in the first half but trailed 10-7. They get the Wynn prognosis and curl up and play dead.

Against Pitt, they push Pitt all over the field, but lack discipline and intelligence.

Speaking of discipline, I know Whitt is a hard nosed disciplinarian. His problem is he doesn't have a network of friends in the coaching tree. So he hires guys (Chow aside/fell in his lap) that are under qualified, and keep their jobs despite constant folly. Jay Hill as special teams coach is the prime example.

Whitt is to patient with his assistant coaches. I think he got that from Lavell back in the day.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:01 p.m.

The more I see Hays play, the more I like this kid. He's a keeper. Once he gets some more playing time under his belt, I don't see how Wynn will ever see another snap as the starter.

I didn't think the Utes could win this one, but it appears Pitt's offense was mostly smoke and mirrors. They really looked inept, partly due to the Ute's defense, and partly because they have inept QBs. And play callers (why didn't their touted RB get more touches?).

Good win Utes. Now prove me wrong and beat Cal at their place!