Sports

Utah Utes football: Utah comes back to defeat Pitt 26-14

Comments

• williary Kearns, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:47 a.m.

@jarka-rus

One day, your proclamations will actually have some facts to back them up.

"No way is Pitt better than any WAC teams."

Sagarin Rankings:

Pitt 61
    Montanta State 77
    Hawaii 82
    New Mexico State 131
    Idaho 149
    Idaho State 218

And your contention that Utah's remaining schedule is just as easy as BYU's:

Again Sagarin rankings:

Utah opponents: UCLA 55, Cal 59, WSU 71, AU 106, CU 107, OSU 115 (The great win BYU just had)

BYU opponents: TCU 32, ISU 218, Idaho 149, NMSU 131, Hawaii 82

Embarrassingly, only 1 of BYU's final opponents has a Sagarin ranking higher than D-2 Montana State (#77), who Utah beat.

Those are the facts.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Middy,
    That is were you are so wrong. I don't speak hatred as you put it. I will be realistic and talk that sameway to BYU fans that drive me crazy as well. I have issue with both BYU and ute fans who are so off base and say things just because they have a certain pair of glassses on and can't see the truth. But its not hatred,so many people (not saying who) say things that are so far off base just because they are a fan then I will talk. Jst try to reread some of the comments from both sides with an open mind not wearing your teams glasses and you will see. Have a good day!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 1:21 a.m.

MidMajor4ever | 10:30 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Syracuse, UT

Veritas,

I didn't bring up byu so I can't answer your question.

===

Agreed.

BYU and Utah are my home town teams.

I admit, I have a problem with fans that constantly are hating on my teams.

Even Duckhunter congratulated Utah on the win. This can be a fun rivalry.

But when you are googling insignificant facts and posting them out of context, or slandering a BYU video official, for no other reason than you hate BYU, from outa of state, I believe that to be lame.

Playful smack is fun. Stupid smack is... stupid, and I don't believe either school awards degree to stupid people.

So when non-grads post stupid comments just to hate on one of my local schools, I respond.

Sometimes I stir, but for the most part, I don't. OK, maybe 50 - 50. ;-)

Either way, I was proud of the way both teams responded today.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:26 a.m.

Ugly win for Utah. I'm afraid the Utes will be in big trouble against Cal if Utah's offense doesn't improve.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:59 p.m.

my bad midmajor..I meant Jarka

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:49 p.m.

MID major...how old are you 2...my gosh

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:53 p.m.

bballjunkie,

Try to understand what I'm saying..... I'll try to help you one last time.

I do not go onto your byu articles and post trash in an attempt to stir up controversy and hatred. If you come onto a Utah article and slam Utah, then I will respond as I did to you earlier.

Veritas Aequitas is a classy, sports fan that knows what he is talking about. He (I'm assuming Veritas is a guy even though Veritas was a goddess) doesn't comment on Utah articles to stir up hatred like you and a couple of other cougar fans have done on this thread.

Having said that, I do realize it goes both ways. I'm not one that goes on byu articles and post trash. That is my point.

Understand?

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Middy

For a guy who is going to claim I don't want to stir up trash talking...then try to cool this....

I almost believed you.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:30 p.m.

Veritas,

I didn't bring up byu so I can't answer your question.

I too read many sports articles including byu stories. My comment meant that I don't post on byu stories because I don't want to stir up trash talking. There is far too much hatred between our programs. The majority of your posts do not stir up contention so I appreciate your input and views.

Gee, thanks for giving me your personal permission to post on byu articles! I didn't realize you ran the D-News. No thank you.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Sorry...

...permission...

Not opinion.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:17 p.m.

MidMajor4ever | 9:44 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Syracuse, UT

Veritas,

Utah obsessed chest thumping is also getting tiring. Agree?

===

Agreed.

So...

Why even bring up BYU? Why not just let go of 1984?

Why not ejoy the defensive play today, which was a thing of beauty? My friends and I enjoyed the game today, and no one mentioned BYU, let alone 1984.

Sorry, I just don't get the obsession that a person in Texas, or Philadelphia, would have that would motivate them to bash a team in Provo Utah.

===

"This is a University of Utah article..."

What does that even mean? It's a sports article in the Deseret News. About sports. You have my personal opinion to comment on any article in the Deseret News. Just tell them I said it was OK.

Oct. 15, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Ha no I actually don't really hang onto any game for too long, whether it was four weeks ago or 27 years ago. What I do find funny is when we got invited into the conference, all we heard was "Oh, we wouldn't want to go to the Pac anyway, independence is better in the short term, then we're going to the Big XII." Then TCU gets the Big XII invite instead, and it's "The Big East is actually a better option for us." And now they won't even offer an invitation to save their own conference. What is the next new underground Cougar intel? I'm dying to hear...

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 9:44 p.m.

Veritas,

If you read the string you will see it's a Utah hater that triggered the 1984 comment. This is a University of Utah article and Utah hating cougar fans are taking some shots (I realize it happens from both sides).

FYI, I'm a Utah fan that doesn't post on byu articles to upset my ex-rival's fans.

Utah obsessed chest thumping is also getting tiring. Agree?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 9:12 p.m.

Uteology | 7:45 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

"You are aware that in 1984 you won a national championship playing those type of teams? Your SOS that year was #104. So why are you disrespecting on Pitt?"

===

Geez, why the obsession with BYU.

Utah's defense played a great game today. Good enough to get a "W" on the road, and Utah's first win against a BCS team as a BCS team.

I don't care it was an ugly win. 12 ugly wins will get a team a pretty high ranking. The team was down, and the fire of the Utah defense willed a win. It's pretty cool if you think about it.

Why can't Utah fans (such as yourself) just be happy for the kids representing the U like other sports fans (such as myself).

The BYU obsessed chest thumping is getting tiring.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 9:09 p.m.

Stgtoslc
    Just in case you have not figured it out BYU is in no hurry to get into a conference. If you think that's a great come back to your bad post then keep using it, it's old but go ahead. Here let me help you out and give you one, tell me if you have heard this one?

54-10
    It's new and won't ever get old for ute fans...lol

Oct. 15, 2011 8:43 p.m.

Good luck getting into a conference. I guess that bad, bad conference doesn't even want someone as bad as BYU. They would rather have the additions of Houston, SMU and UCF in all their sports and Boise and Air Force with football only than have the "exposure" of BYU's ESPN contract in any of their sports.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Middy
    Did you watch and listen to the game? He is under the gun and has not been producing and that's why they are working in the freshman who looks like he 15, don't try and have us buy into the fact that this qb is up for the hiesman and wait I love that he is rated 4 iin the big east, this conference is not even seen as a football conference. And news flash Pitt is not just bad but terrible. Try to spin this a little harder, your utes kicked and (thank your kicker in your prayers tonight) it's way past a very bad Pitt team. And duke,Oregon St,Washington St and many, many more including the whole big east can claim they are in a bcs conference, and so what your utes won't do anything in the PAC 12 ever. Envy? Not close, good luck on winning a game in the conference.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:45 p.m.

@jarka-rus

-------------

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Why is the Sagarin all of a sudden the end all and be all of NCAA football to you Ute fans? You really think computer stats and mumbo jumbo seriously tell the tale of EVERY single team?? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Why even play the games? Pitt has big time stats, well against who? Maine, Buffalo, ND, can't tell me most teams would have great stats against them. Oh but the Sagarin says they are 50 or 47 or 25. Whatever. Games are played on the field. What's Maryland's sagarin? their SOS is weaker but they are up on an undefeated #8 Clemson team who beat up on everyone so far. So who's overrated? Clemson or the three ranked teams they beat?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:15 p.m.

It's good to get a win on ESPN, but the Utes may have lost many viewers with this ugly game. Utah pitches a shutout but gives up two special teams TDs.

Trailing 14-3 is negative exposure. It was all over the early game halftime reports.

I believe Utah has a talented and good team. But I see problems that are hard to fix in the middle of the season though. They certainly lack offensive cohesion. The injuries are piling up, and the schedule keeps on with no bye left.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:00 p.m.

bballjunkie,

Sunseri was the #4 rated QB in the Big East going into the game with a 116.8 quarterback rating. He has been averaging nearly 200 yards per game.

Graham went in to the game as the nation's #1 running back averaging 145 yards per game.

Pitt isn't a bad team. They average more points per game than both Utah and byu. Why can't you quit your hating and go back to your byu boards? I haven't checked because I don't post on your articles but I'm sure there will be something you can contribute to with your fan base.

FYI, the Utes do have a pretty good defense. In case you can't remember, just four weeks ago today your mighty program lost to the Utes by 44 points on your home field.

I understand your jealousy and envy, afterall, the BCS conferences are realigning and your program is being left out.... again.

Good luck with your independence.

• dnsmith Salt Lake CIty, ut
    Oct. 15, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Pitt was dominated by Utah. 120 total yards. White did more than that on his own. If not for the first quarter special teams gaffs Utah D pitched a shutout. Pitt didn't even get the chance to sniff an offensive score. Hays wasn't great but he is getting smarter. No total game killing Ints in the red zone. Just get those td s instead of field goals. Chow will coach up hays and the season will end well for us.
    For Yner fans the moderator saved you from an a post that was against the monitoring rules. So here's the watered down kindergarten version.
    Stop trolling and posting dumb things on our boards. You played OSU go post on those articles we don't care about your team. 54 - 10 settled that issue. you troll we counter, otherwise we don't care about your team.

I look forward to the rest of our schedule. Should be a moderately successful season for our first outing in the conf. Good things to come
    GO UTES!!!

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:41 p.m.

dnsmith | 6:31 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Salt Lake CIty, Ut

Talk about garbage posts....your going to try and sell us that offense who had no qb, was not the reason why your defense looked so good?really, and people tell me to stick with talking basketball.lol

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:33 p.m.

bballjunkie and jerkarus,

Jeff Sagarin's computerized rankings have Utah at #38, Pitt at #43, byu at #54 and Oregon State at #82. Calling Pitt a "poor team" or "weak one-man team" shows your ignorance as they are considered a better team than your cougars.

FYI, Utah State, the team you stormed the field on in your come from behind win, is #84.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to post on Utah articles unless it's hatred, envy and/or jealousy.

Good luck with your remaining schedule. I'm sure you will need it with the powerhouses coming up: New Mexico State, Idaho and Idaho State.

Go Utes!

• dnsmith Salt Lake CIty, ut
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:31 p.m.

The Pitt team was totally dominated by Utah. Without those two special teams breakdowns the Utah D pitched a shutout. Pitt didn't even get a chance to sniff an offensive score. 120 yards as a team. Our RB had more than that on his own. I see good things to come. With every snap Hays gets a little more seasoned and makes smarter decisions. No amazing numbers but no massive blunders with int in the red zone. Conservative game for the most part keeping it on the ground and slowly grinding it out.
    Go back into oblivion yners. We don't care anymore. You beat someone from our conf who happens to be one of the very worst this year with a decimated team or i wouldn't have anything to say to you. Go talk yourselves up to the Beaver fans you have no reason to be on our boards
    other than jealousy and an inferiority complex. Somehow you yners feel like you have a need to prove something. Your team lost that chance to brag when our team blew you out 54 - 10
    Don't want to be reminded of your spanking don't get on here with garbage posts.

Oct. 15, 2011 6:16 p.m.

"And the environment was not even good or even a factor for Pitt."

There were 40 mph swirling winds! That definitely favors the home team, especially considering we have a kicker who's only kicked 4 field goals all year and he goes in and kicks 4 in this game. When are you going to give some credit where it's due? You should stick to talking about bball sometime because you do yourself a disservice in talking football.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Imautefan
    Congrats to the Utes! Great job going into Pitt and grinding out the win.

...against a very poor Pitt team..even though once again as a ute fan they are in the top half of bcs teams. Ute fan admit it for once that team was poor. And the environment was not even good or even a factor for Pitt. Is it so hard just to admit it? Come on ute fans give it ca rest.

Oh wait I forgot it was a poor Pitt team you hang one of the bcs championships on to...my bad you will never admit it.lol

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 5:24 p.m.

@bballjunkie:

"Oh let me guess the only thing you have and will have this year 54-10.lol"

Really? On which side of that 54-10 beatdown did your team end up?

Congrats to the Utes! Great job going into Pitt and grinding out the win.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 4:41 p.m.

MidMajor4ever | 4:32 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    "Your hatred toward the University of Utah certainly hurts your ability to think rationally. UNLV would not be able to beat Pitt! I think we both know that byu couldn't go into Pittsburgh and win.

If "the only thing" Utah will have this year is a 54-10 pounding on your team, what will byu have this year? A 44 point pounding from big brother and a few WAC wins?"

Just as your hatred is as well, Byu's going into OSU country and may come home with a W against your precious PAC-12.
    They could do the same against a weak one man Pitt team.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 4:32 p.m.

bballjunkie | 2:11 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

"Ugly? That is seriously the worst football team I have ever seen in Pitt, I believe UNLV Would have won that game that is how bad Pitt is. Ute fan you and your team should be embarrassed. utah football lol. Oh let me guess the only thing you have and will have this year 54-10.lol"

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Uteology | 2:32 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

Okay I concede those facts well the Cougars are up on that powerhouse OSU team #1 SOS, guess I was wrong. but I am sure you Utesies we'll say they are a pathetic team and BYU got lucky right?

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Junk a lot, wow brother you are all over the board. Let me simplify for you... 54-10. After that, there's no need to talk about SOS. But if you do insist on going there, BYU's SOS is weaker than Utah's.

PAC 10.2 Doormat, I like your sammyg screen name better. You were building excellent brand equity with that one.

Oct. 15, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Duckhunter, you know I'm joking, just keeping things fun and light. Thanks for the compliment, good luck to your team today.

Oct. 15, 2011 3:47 p.m.

Duckhunter: "I only saw the 1st quarter of this game as I had to leave to coach my 5th grade team."

You COACH at BYU?! This is awesome!!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:43 p.m.

re: PAC 10.2 Doormat | 2:34 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

Pitt > Ole Miss

What happens should Bronco's alma mater beat his current employer and then the Utes thrash the Beavers?

It doesn't matter... 54-10.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Duckhunter, thanks for a gracious post. It is one thing to talk smack in support of one's team. It is another to recognize what your rival did and what it had to overcome to do it. Again, thanks.

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Uteolgy, I didn't know BYU "won" Utah State. Does that mean they get to take them home and keep them? Ha ha! Utah is fortunate they don't play USU, it would be a better game than today's.

• A Man's Perspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Utah in this game - it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

DEFENSE!! Stopping the nation's #1 rushing stone cold!

Special Teams?? 2 TDs allowed? You should have only one or two all season long! Still, 4 field goals in that stadium with that wind was impressive.

John White IV was awesome! Offensive line pass blocking - atrocious! John PENALTY Cullen needs to quit killing drives with penalties.

Good win for Utah, but they won't win a lot more games if they can't convert 3rd downs and can't score in the red zone!

Again: DEEEEEEFFFFFEEEEENNSSSSSSEEEE! was incredible for Utah!

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Stgtoslc

No there is no chance of another loosing PAC 12 team to get lucky twice in the same year. Don't be upset that your team wont win a game against that pathetic PAC 12 schedule. Lol

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Chicagoborn
    Utah football lol, ute fans lol, Utah pac12 hopes and dreams lol. Anything Chicago related, I have to be nice, but go Lions!

• JMHO Southern, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:52 p.m.

You can talk all the smack you want about weak team and stuff, but I can't remember the last time an FBS team kept another FBS team out of the red zone much less the end zone.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:52 p.m.

PAC 10.2 Doormat
    Way to go Utes, you have a win. It's hilarious seeing you pat each other on the backs on this comment board after beating Pitt.

---------

Says a guy who stormed the field after winning a 1-3 team.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I only saw the 1st quarter of this game as I had to leave to coach my 5th grade team. It was 14-3 Pitt when I left. It sounds like Utah must have dominated the game from that point on? I don't think Pitt is all that good but when you go across the country and win on the road it is a good win. Congrats utes.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:47 p.m.

@jarka-rus | 1:41 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

What... kind of logic is that? Duckhunter would be proud.

Before this week, according to USA Today:

Arizona has a #2 SOS, Idaho #101.
    UCLA has a #14 SOS, Hawaii #108
    Colorado has a #26 SOS, San Jose Sate #36

BYU fans must be getting desperate trying to talk up WAC teams they can compete with while downplaying Ute wins.

• ClassyUte SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Pac 10.2-

Yeah, we can't all be so lucky as to be able to beat amazing teams like San Jose State and UCF week in and week out like the mighty cougs do.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Great win today Utes! It was an ugly win but we'll take it!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Tis could be a perfect day.......a Utah win and BYU loss. It will happen!

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:35 p.m.

bballjunkie: 'the worst team I've ever seen in Pitt'? Really? You must have only been watching the last 2 or 3 years. Pitt's had some teams that couldn't beat Dixie State. Utah got a qood win on the road. The D pitched a shutout. Is Pitt LSU? Of course not. They aren't ASU or Washington either. But they're certainly not San Jose State. The thing is, as much as the blue bloods like to revel in Utah's misery (and yes, Ute fans do the same thing with BYU) every time Utah loses this year it makes the 54-10 game look that much worse.

• PAC 10.2 Doormat Springville, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:34 p.m.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:32 p.m.

To all the Ute haters, according to USA Today rankings before this weeks games:

#37 South Florida (SOS 96)
    #38 Utah (8)
    #48 Pitt (29)
    #54 BYU (48)
    #65 Central Florida (123)
    #82 Oregon State
    #83 Arizona (21)
    #84 Utah State (85)
    #110 San Jose State (36)

So if Pitt is bad, who has BYU beat? Bo Diddly Tech?

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:27 p.m.

TandJ-

I was referring to BYU because i assumed you were a BYU fan. I guess you are just neutral or something? Idk.

Jarka-

Are you really comparing WAC teams to Pac-12 teams based on overall record? We'll see how good the WAC does against the Pac tonight when BYU plays Oregon State, eh?

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:25 p.m.

@bballjunkie
    Even pathetic BYU could have beaten that Pitt team lol. Thanks for telling Utah fans how they should feel lol. The Utah defense should be embarrassed for letting up 0 points lol. BYU football schedule lol. Is that too many lols?

Oct. 15, 2011 2:18 p.m.

bballjunkie, don't you have a game you should be watching to make sure your team doesn't lose bad to another "embarrassing" Pac team? "lol"

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:15 p.m.

chicagoborn | 1:54 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

yep and who have UCLA and Wazzoo played? real powerhouses on their schedule.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Nice win Utes! Great defense today! Just need to work on the red zone offense!

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Way to go Utah. Nice job representing the 801.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Oh let me guess the only thing you have and will have this year 54-10.lol

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Re: jarka-rus

Let me guess:

Idaho 1-5 = Philadelphia Eagles 1-4
    Hawaii 3-4 = Chicago Bears 2-3
    San Jose 3-3 = Houstan Texans
    Idaho State 2-4 = New York Jets 2-3
    New Mexico State 2-3 = Atlanta Falcons 2-3

Oct. 15, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we end up with John White IV's 171 yards rushing taking conference offensive POTW, Derrick Shelby's 1.5 sacks and INT return for TD conference defensive POTW and Coleman Petersen's 4 FGs and 2 EPs in the gusting wind as conference special teams POTW?

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Way to go Utah! Great defensive play. You really shut down Ray Graham. You completely shut Pitt out of the end zone. The Offense showed it can move the ball and get into the red zone. Need to work on getting touchdowns instead of relying on field goals. Special teams needs a lot of work, but Peterson went 4/4. GO UTES!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:02 p.m.

The offense would have the ball more and gain a lot more yardage if it wasn't for that pesky defense that keeps scoring and then giving the ball back to the other team.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Utes got their first "W" against a BCS conference team as a BCS conference team.

Congrats to the team to getting it on the road.

All that will appear in the record book years from now is the "W".

Enjoy it and get ready for next week.

===

ESPN talking head apologizing to the viewers for the game (after the game) was a lame comment. Give respect to the kids that put on the pad. Sometimes you win ugly. We as fans get spoiled always looking for the perfect game.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Way to go Utah........gritty defense! You embarrassed Pitt. They had a couple lucky plays, but Utah'e D is not like sorry BYU.......slow as heck. Goooooooooo OSU tonight!

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Congratulations, Utah. Good luck the balance of the season!

Oct. 15, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Tom in CA, and unfortunately it was the team you love to hate. The team that dominated yours and dominated the offensive and defensive sides of the ball today.

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:54 p.m.

@jarka rus
    Your obsession for Utah is blinding you from the facts so let me help you out. Look at the strength of schedule for both of the teams you are comparing. For example, Arizona has played Okie St, Oregon, and Stanford. Idaho has played Texas
    A&M at that's pretty much it. See the difference?

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Hatch | 1:10 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Sandy, UT
    Best Utes defense showing ever seen...
    -----------

Whoa cowboy, don't get carried away there.

Good win, even though Pitt isn't a great team. Great composure.

Oct. 15, 2011 1:51 p.m.

Haha how does that make sense in your mind comparing records with teams that have vastly different schedules. If you implanted even the worst of all those schools into the WAC or MWC, they would come out with records like Utah had been putting up the last 7 or 8 years. That's the thing with power conferences, all of the not-top teams' records are going to be worse because they had to play all the top teams, which is why the top teams have good records. If it was an across-the-board strong conference, they would all beat each other and all end up with 8-win seasons, in which case you would say the conference is terrible. I guess haters gonna hate.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:47 p.m.

re: jackoffrus

you might want to check the computer rankings. We don't care what you think. Congrats on being in the WAC.

• Dart Thrower Ogden, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:47 p.m.

Two thoughts: Ugly, but we'll take the win. Let us all speak kind words to each other

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:46 p.m.

That was one of the ugliest games I have ever seen.

Utah was lucky that Pitt has no offense.

I do give Utah's D credit.

They get the W.

Utah better find some kind of offense or they won't be going bowling....

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:46 p.m.

The Texas offense makes Pitt's look good.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Last night's San Jose State/Hawaii slop fest was the worst I'd ever seen until this one. Unfortunately, they had to give one of the teams a "W".

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Great win Utes!! The Defense was awesome today and pitched a shut out. I like what I'm seeing from Hays and like the announcer said he is looking more and more comfortable. It will be exciting to see what he can do the rest of the season. White is a workhorse and I love watching him run. He almost had as many yards as he did in the blowout over byu.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Uteology | 1:33 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Well now its on to the Pac-lite schedule for the Utes.
    CU=Idaho both 1-5.
    UCLA=Hawaii both 3-3,
    Arizona=Idaho again both 1-5,
    Cal=Hawaii again both 3-3,
    Wazzoo=San Jose or so both around 3-2.
    Oregon state barely better than Idaho.

So yep try to spin the mighty Pac-12 power.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Utes are 3-0 in non-conference games. If the Utes were independent, they'd go 12-0

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:34 p.m.

StGtoSLC | 1:27 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

Ummmm USF is not ranked anymore just FYI. And please, they have beaten, Ball State, UTEP and Florida A&M and Notre Dame. ND is the only credible win for them. Most RB's in the country would look like a beast against them. Graham is overrated and so is Pitt. Like I said the Ute D is great, just don't think Pitt from the Big Least is anything special, never have been.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Moderate | 1:27 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "Hayes needs to learn to throw it away. So many stupid mistakes there at the end. We got lucky."

No turnovers, at least. A sack is still better than an INT, ask Pitt.

Hays has been steadily improving. I'd say he's met many expectations at this point. I think, provided Cullen can keep from making bone headed mistakes and still protect his blind side, I'm holding out that Hays is still competent enough to lead this team to some quality PAC wins and a bowl game.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Who has BYU beaten this year that is as good as Pitt?
    Congrats on beating USU, BYU. Storm the field...

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:33 p.m.

jarka-rus | 1:13 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011
    Layton, Utah
    Pitt is no way better than any Wac team.

------

They are better than the quasi-Indy team down south playing a WAC-lite schedule. Also Pitt and their fans didn't quit in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:30 p.m.

The Utes have apparently found a quarter back. Good for them. Had they been playing Hays all year, they may have not been 0-3 in the Pac at the present time. It appears that Wynn and Heaps better concentrate on getting a degree now. They are not going to do much on the football field.

Oct. 15, 2011 1:29 p.m.

"Yep good stats, was there ANY other offense present? Who cares if you rush for 400 yards and get 3 points out of it?"

Well I guess we won't know who cares, because the Utes got 19 points from the offense out of it.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Oct. 15, 2011 1:27 p.m.

jarka-rus: "Pitt is no way better than any Wac team."

So New Mexico State could beat a #16 ranked South Florida team? I don't see any Heisman candidates coming out of the Wac. If Utah is the worst in the Pac, I'm gonna hate to see what Oregon State does to BYU tonight in Corvallis.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Defense! Defense! Defense!

Ute Defense 7
    Pitt 0

Game over!

Our special teams and offense tried to give this game away but today the defense said NOT today.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:25 p.m.

All Hays has to do is manage the game, not turn it over, hand the ball off and let the defense do their work.

Check, check, check and check.

Nice win Utes. Still have NEVER lost to a team currently in the Big lEast.

And for those Y trolls who predicted Pitt would win....hopefully now we can have some silence from your constant drivel....at least for a day like after Sept 17th.

Now off to Cal. The difficult portion of the schedule is behind them. Each gaem going forward is a winnable one.

Go Utes!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Pitt beat then #16South Florida 44-17 last week and their other loses were by 4 and 3 to Iowa and Notre Dame. They aren't as bad on offense as they looked today. After all, Graham was second best rusher in the nation going into the game.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:25 p.m.

StGtoSLC | 1:17 p.m. Oct. 15, 2011

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:22 p.m.

Congrats Utes!! Now come back and play a real conference.....

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:18 p.m.

My Utes win the battle of the offensively incompetent.

Oct. 15, 2011 1:17 p.m.

jarka-rus, how do you call a 171 yard rushing performance by a player "no offense?" All the Utes need to do is finish drives and they could be a very potent offense in the Pac.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:13 p.m.

Pitt is no way better than any Wac team.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Best Utes defense showing ever seen...Congrats Utes

• bigt431413 MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 1:02 p.m.

I love my Utes but how many more stupid, boneheaded mistakes can we make. Whit doesn't seem to have control of this group.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Pitt is a bad bad team.

Oct. 15, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Juan Blanco Quatro is showing up the Heisman candidate on his own field.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Told ya Pitt-iful is overrated.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:20 p.m.

DontMUSS
    We have posted the same chant post on the BYU board pointing out that that same old refrain is comming from Provo. The point being made is that it is a refrain done quite often from Provo and Salt Lake. Don't really know what you meant by "You guys are horrible!" Does "you guys" have a reference to us?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Can the D win every game for the Utes? That's what's going to have to happen. Great D no offense. I think that's the problem with both Utah and BYU. Whitt and Bronco are great D coaches. They need a true head coach I think.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Huh, I guess that tipped balls caught for touchdowns DO count?

Oct. 15, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Who would've thought Coleman Petersen would be the smallest liability on special teams today? That kick return wasn't a fumble, by the way, the ground forced the ball out.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:45 a.m.

TandJ-

Ha ha ha. BYU has been singing that chant for 2 years in a row now. You guys are horrible! Now on the same level as most WAC teams!

Oct. 15, 2011 11:41 a.m.

A1994 I'm fairly confident that USU's less than stellar defense would have allowed more than 30 yards to the nation's leading rusher so far and 72 yards and 0 points to a good Pitt offense. Keeton is a stud at QB and definitely forces the issue more than Hays, but let's be real, USU wouldn't be able to stop Pitt.

Oct. 15, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Despite the score, the Utes dominating this one so far. Just need to clean up some special teams errors and keep playing smart. The key: 0 turnovers.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:25 a.m.

@54-10

I'm fairly confident that USU would give a better showing against Pitt that Utah has today so far. Utah is in bad shape and they might be for awhile.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Utah and Utah State might want to practice their special teams.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Hey, the old standby Ute warchant is coming through and is getting louder and louder. What is it, ah, you know, "just wait till next year."

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:01 a.m.

From what I have seen from Utah so far this year, the PAC -12 should have taken Boise!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Dinky passing won't cut it.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:26 a.m.

A need that won't come. The U goes to 2-4.

• ATC Stockton, CA
    Oct. 15, 2011 3:09 a.m.

Utah needs a win here, or there is a good chance they will not go to a bowl game