Utah

Little-known John Bernhisel did much for Utah

Comments

• Charles Edwin Shipp San Pedro, CA
    Feb. 8, 2012 2:39 p.m.

This is the first of two great articles on John Bernhisel (that I know of). I have added a comment on the TALK page of the Wikipedia page on John Bernhisel, to give this article as a reference. I can find this first article with a Google search, but the second article, dated Monday October 10th 2011 I am not finding with a Google-search. I have the 10-10-2011 page in my hand right now.

This second article which I am reading shows a photo copy of the letter from US President Willard Fillmore to John Bernhisel (when he served in Congress) thanking him for the Book of Mormon and a series of O. Pratt pamphlets.

• Mary E Petty Sandy, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 9:30 a.m.

As we say in genealogy, "Ancestors are the People of History". Would that every family had four bank boxes of family history. The stories that could be told; the lessons learned, the examples led; the real truth of history!

As a side note, a Jim Bell of Fullerton, California was the first Ward Teacher (now called Home Teacher) I can remember. I wonder if he is the same as the Jim Bell you mention in this story. He set the standard for home teaching for me.

• ttmormone NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Very insightful article Ron . Much appreciated

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:50 a.m.

John Bernhisel was a giant in early church history. His story deserves to be told. I've known for years of his great influence in Washington and Utah. I'll buy it.

• Mike Winder WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 12:28 a.m.

Another great article, Ron! Bernhisel is probably one of the most important but least known man in Utah history, and certainly deserving of a biography. Go for it!

• Ronald Fox North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 12:10 a.m.

John Bernhisel was a great man. Thank you for your encouragement. There is a book there, but it is a year or so off, I have 4 banker Boxes full of information, where to start.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Your enthusiasm for this topic is very evident in your article. I have heard of John Bernhisel, but did not know anything about his life. A book based on his experiences would be an interesting biography. Good luck with this project.