Sports

Utah Utes football: Pac-12 lumps taken, Utes hit the road to face Pitt

Comments

• jefferysl Huntsville, Alabama
    Oct. 12, 2011 7:43 p.m.

UW fan here. Forget all the BYU stuff. You have an out of conference game to win. You're representing the PAC! If you guys wouldn't have turned the ball over 10 times in two games, you'd be right in it! Hays is inexperienced, but he's twice as athletic as Wynn and he's a competitor...Chow actually has something to work with. Your offensive line needs to get nasty at run blocking. If you can get White going and NOT TURN OVER THE BALL, the Ute's will be tough to beat. Also, I know this will be difficult...but you need to support our PAC-12 brethren at Oregon State (who've fallen on hard times) against BYU this weekend....Good luck.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 9:21 p.m.

wardu,

"Has a school ever been banished from a conference?"

Yes, BYU from the MWC.

• daddman54 FARMINGTON, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Ducky,
    So...... you're back trolling Utah articles again. How's it feel to come crawling back?

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Junk,

Who said anything about 2004 or 2008?

Let's cut to the chase....

54 > 10"

Ok, Hondo, I think you are on the right track here... 54 is more than 10 AND 8-4 is more wins than 6-6. Are we making progress?

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:52 p.m.

If Utah does not beat Cal, UCLA, Arizona, OR. St, or WSU things are really bad. The program may never recover. Has a school ever been banished from a conference? I am pretty sure the Utes will beat Colorado though.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:38 p.m.

54-10 | 6:22 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    @ sports-junkie | 5:56 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    West Jordan, UT

Why compare schedules? The proof of the better team was the 54-10."

Im actually the one NOT comparing schedules. Im trying to respect what U did in 2004 and 2008, but U guys are having a tough time understanding simple concepts tonight. Not sure why Im all that surprised.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:29 p.m.

Junk,

Who said anything about 2004 or 2008?

Let's cut to the chase....

54 > 10

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:22 p.m.

@ sports-junkie | 5:56 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    West Jordan, UT

Why compare schedules? The proof of the better team was the 54-10.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:20 p.m.

"You do realize that after we beat ASU 30-14 we'll be headed to the inaugural Pac 12 championship game right?" Chris B

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 5:56 p.m.

"Let me help you out since you seem to struggle with reading comprehension. BYU may go 8-4 this year with the schedule they have, but Utah would go 10-2 or 11-1 with this same schedule. Don't believe me....54-10."

Let me help U with some reading comprehension. 8-4 is actually better than 6-6.(that's actually a fact) Since it seems you like you are having a hard time with that one. Are you willing to put an asterick next to 2004 and 2008? Seems like you are arguing in favor of that since you have no respect for any schedule outside of the pac12 (or bcs conference) at this point.

If U want to say Utah is better than BYU this year that's fine, but to belittle a schedule that you assume the U would end with a better record is not the point. My guess is even if BYU were to go 13-0 with this type of schedule U would still not give them any credit... when essentially that's what U did twice.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 5:54 p.m.

@ Duckhunter | 12:00 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    Highland, UT

...and it was still 54-10 and you went into a 3 week comma.

LOL

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Junk,

"I dont get it. Isnt the point to WIN games? Why in the world would you prefer your team to have a 6-6 record over an 8-4 record? Because now youre in the pac12 and youve already settled for mediocrity?"

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 4:48 p.m.

"It will be funny to watch home teams like WSU and OSU taunt the Utah visitor fans as Mormons. For the first time you will get a taste of your own medicine."

You're going to attend these games to watch these teams' fans taunt Utah fans for being Mormon? What an astronomical waste of time! Then again, this is probably one of the few times Mommy is going to let you out of the basement. Now, hurry up and get your chores done so Mommy will give you your allowance to pay for the tickets.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Hondo | 3:10 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    Alpine, UT

Utah will be fortunate to go 6-6 or 7-5 this season. I'd take that. I'd also take that over the 9-3 or 8-4 BYU will post, especially given the disparity in quality of opponents."

Seems strange that it wasnt THAT long ago Utah was beating up on these same cream-puff teams on their way to TWO BCS bowl games. I suppose now you want to put an asterick by those undefeated seasons, right? Didnt think so.

• rpjense West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 4:27 p.m.

I must be insane. I can't believe I actually just read the inane, never-ending kindergarten chatter between BYU and Ute trolls. No matter what happens, there is a new barb to toss at one another. I'm wondering if a few of us could not just grow up and let things be? Good grief, it's embarassing. Is there anyone left on earth with an IQ that is greater than double-digit?

Once again ... people, let it go. It's only freaking football!!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 10, 2011 3:45 p.m.

Joe Schmoe | 7:31 a.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    Orem, UT
    Will BYU get a pac 12 win before Utah does?

-----------

Maybe, since they play San Jose State 2.0 (aka Oregon State) this week.

If the were playing anyone better, well that answer to that is: 54-10.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 3:10 p.m.

"Yet you think one win two weeks ago puts you in a class with the Stanford's and Oregon's of the world."

When did I ever say that? Circkets.......

I think Utah has a long way to go to ever compete with Oregon or Stanford. It may never happen. For one, Oregon cheats on a recurring basis and has endless funds coming into the program from Phil Knight. It will be difficult to compete because Utah doesn't cheat and does not have that level of funding.

Stanford has an academic program that is nearly unrivaled. Any recruit that values that (it would be foolish not to) and can qualify academically will go there.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Hondo

You are right, not arguing that point am I ? I had my fair share of that pie, but now after two beat downs AT HOME, seems you've had two pieces of humble pie. Yet you think one win two weeks ago puts you in a class with the Stanford's and Oregon's of the world.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Rocko Of The Marne | 1:59 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011

And I don't deny the fact that BYU isn't a powerhouse either but try to spin it how CU and Arizona are any better than Idaho State or Bo diddily Tech. Big boys indeed.

• maryland cougar Pikesville, MD
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:26 p.m.

utsie i'm home Pittsburg called they want to know if you want a free ride to the woodshed I mean stadium but however good luck hope you guys do well

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:22 p.m.

I don't think the Utes can win five of their seven remaining games for a winning season record. Good luck the rest of the way in proving me wrong.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Duckunter,

Congratualtions for your team's win. I think the BYU coaches made the right QB choice. I also think we have found a good QB in our backup Jon Hays. He's tough and hung in there through some pretty hard hits. As your team proved turnovers are fixable and that's what I expect to see the next few games for the Utes.

Contrary to your opinion our athletes hung in there just fine with ASU's. The only time they had receivers wide open was on some crossing routes over the middle where our guys were out of position. They weren't any faster or more athletic. Their QB is the real deal and his throws were very accurate even into coverage. They played a better game than we did, but we match up just fine athletically.

I'm still happier in the Pac 12 than in the MWC and I'm excited for the rest of the season and the future.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Jark

7 TOs in one game that led to a 44 point slice of humble pie.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:03 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad,

You should be ashamed of your comments. Wishing ill will on your opponent is never becoming. Especially when you lump all Utah fans together with the worst. I for one am happy for BYU and their success the past two weeks.

Why is it that Ute fans being happy for our teams acceptance into a better conference is called arrogance while BYU fans going on and on about their National Title hopes is acceptable? Are you going to call out your fellow Cougars? Sure, you've won a few games and we've lost a few, but you can hardly say the level of competition is the same.

We have a great coaching staff and great athletes who are struggling right now, but will get it together. Any Ute who thought being in the Pac 12 would easy was fooling themselves, but this is what we asked for. Adversity makes us stronger. Playing tougher oponents will improve our program.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 10, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Yes jacka-rus, the Utes are stinking it up royally right now I won't deny that fact. But they have played the third through fifth best PAC 12 teams thus far so it isn't like playing San Jose State or Idaho State; it's the big boy leagues. Unfortunately the Utes have been playing like it is still the Mt. West; except for the thumping Provo.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne | 1:14 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011

So beating Montana High 27-10 is more impressive than SJSU 29-13?
    Hmmm that is only a one point difference. Let me say that again. One point.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne | 1:14 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011

10 To's in just two games, that really is bothering you isn't it? LOL

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Ducky,

Where does that put BYU if Utah pounded your beloved kewgs by 44? I wonder if you were one of the many that sprinted for your car during the 3rd quarter.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 10, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Wow, preschool must be out again little brother Y fan is out spouting half thoughts of a jealous nature. You're mid major team beat San Jose State by not all that much given who they were playing. Let me say it again, San Jose State. I think you guys play Bo Diddly Tech somewhere along that Sun Belt Conf. worthy schedule you have coming up. Way to use that supposed cachet to draw the big boys into Provo. Also how is that BIG 12 non invite working for you? And last of all I see you are still reeling from the beat down big brother gave you: 54-10. You guys make me laugh.

• Salemite Salem, Ut
    Oct. 10, 2011 12:04 p.m.

I looked for you guys this weekend on the cable channels. I could not find it. My daughter went to the game and I wanted to watch it, so I had to settle for the internet.

Now I see you will be on ESPN this Saturday. I will watch the game and cheer you on. Control the turnovers and you should come away with a win.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Moderate | 11:22 a.m. Oct. 10, 2011

Yeah like the stiff competition the Utesies have in UCLA, CU, Wazzooooo and Arizona??? 8 wins between them. LOL
    ooooo juggernauts of the FBS.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 12:00 p.m.

concerned after Saturday, fans will really be having a pitt....y party

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 12:00 p.m.

@moderate

Well whatever you have to tell yourself to try and ease the pain of getting pounded every week. I'm trying to remember how terrible utah "fans" like yourself felt when you had a couple of good seasons and beat up on that "level of competition" you now claim to look down upon. You guys more than "held your heads up" you actually bragged about it incessantly. It is quite obvious that you are just trying to deflect the pain by telling yourselves how great it is to be a doormat in the pac10.

The really sad part is that the pac10 really isn't all that great but unfortunately for utah the recruiting hasn't been anywhere near what wittingham has claimed it to be based on those bcs appearance. It doesn't look like those aided them at all. If anything they've regressed and the incompetence displayed in recruiting qb's and oline has shown itself to be perhaps the largest miscalculation of what is really important to have a successful, and respectable, football team I have ever witnessed.

LOL!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Pitt is not a good team, who have they beaten? pssshhhh USF is overrated.
    So my challenge and pipe dream to all Ute fans is this:

If the Utes fall on their face again at Pitt and lose. Then we BYU fans would like you to keep quiet the rest of the season about 54-10, BYU's soft schedule, BCS, PAC-12 superiority, USU fluke, Hypes etc, etc, etc. if you say BYU beat a pathetic Ole Miss team on the road, then if Pitt pounds the Utes this weekend. Just clam up.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 10, 2011 11:35 a.m.

I posted the following at 11:38 a.m. in March 9, 2011. I stand by every word.

"I'm laughing to myself thinking about when Utah fans wake up to how they are already being treated by the PAC fans and local sportscasters. All that attitude and arrogance as the supposed big dog of the WAC/MWC is wasted now, and for the first time you will be looked at by an entire conference as the stepchild. You should hear how local sports radio and the fans already talk about how badly they did bringing in UU into the PAC.

If ever a conference and a program deserved each other, it's the PAC and the UU. You guys are going to love the whiny, entitled and obnoxious fans that root for the UW, Oregon, or the "premier" CA schools.

Have a great time! LOL"

I feel guilty reveling in the schadenfreude I'm enjoying (Utes, look it up), but I can't bring myself to stop. It will be funny to watch home teams like WSU and OSU taunt the Utah visitor fans as Mormons. For the first time you will get a taste of your own medicine.

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 11:33 a.m.

wookie: Is that true about the Montana State game not counting towards bowl eligibility? I thought if they pull out six wins (regardless of opponent) then they're eligible.

Re: Pitt. I think this will be a defining game for the Utes...we'll see what they're made of especially after two games riddled with turnovers. If Pitt wins this one, then I think the Utes are in trouble and no bowl invitation becomes a very real possibility.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 11:22 a.m.

J-TX
    This has gotta hurt:

Utah 2-3
    BYU 4-2

You mean it hurts Cougar fans, right? Wins are nice, but when you realize the level of competition you're playing, its hard to hold your head up. November will be the time to switch your attention to basketball as the football team faces such stiff competition as bye week, Idaho, NMSU, and yet another bye week. Ouch.

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 11:13 a.m.

@ J-TX, In case you haven't noticed Byu has had a much easier schedule. Central Florida, Utah State, San Jose State, go ahead and say Byu is improving but they've barely beaten those WAC teams that don't have very good programs.

Anyways I still have faith in the UTES. Hays just needs a little more time. I'm sure playing ASU, ranked 18th in the country as of Sunday, was a good way to break him in.
    GO UTES!!!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 10, 2011 10:00 a.m.

@ Schwa -

One nice thing about the rivalry being early is that no matter what the Utes do for the rest of the year, the Utes still have to live with the fact that they're going to KEEP getting their butt kicked in the PAC-12.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 10, 2011 9:43 a.m.

This has gotta hurt:

Utah 2-3
    BYU 4-2

For all the positive thinking in the posts, I have watched every Utah and BYU game this year. One team is improving, and one team is getting worse. I think Utah will be extremely lucky to win 4 of those remaining 7 games, to go 6-6.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 10, 2011 9:28 a.m.

Schwa

Despite all of the PAC 12 hoopla and the BYU game being the "10th most important game" on Utah's schedule, for most Utah fans, Utah's season is still defined by the Ute's success/failure versus BYU.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Oct. 10, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Utah has a good team. Great defense, good recievers, and White is a tough back who runs very hard. The trolls make it hard to cheer for the Utes but keep your chins up. Turnovers will kill you as we have all learned this year. Go Cougars!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 10, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Thanks for the ridiculous PC speech, Dr. Hall. How exactly is it possible for "[I hope] the Utes acheive what they are after, and all colleges do the same."

@ Duh; Barring turnovers, BYU beats Utah. Thanks for the inanity. Shoulda woulda coulda doesn't win FB games.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 10, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Barring turnovers, Utah wins this game. I have watched some of Pitts games and I think Utah is a much better team.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 8:00 a.m.

"Yes, we've been thrashed by the PAC-12 mid/low level teams, but we beat BYU." If that's our season, we should have quit after the BYU game.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:58 a.m.

At least Jon Hays has learned quickly how to flash the U sign. You dont just get that good at that without a little practice in the mirror. Good for him for putting in the extra time and work.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:33 a.m.

'Utah coach Kyle Whittingham noted that some good things were happening, but then "the wheels came off and (we) started turning the ball over."'

Cougar fans get clobbered for making this statement when referring to the BYU/Utah game, yet it works for Utah to say it. Can't have it both ways.

In reality, the ASU/Utah game was much closer than the score indicated and the BYU/Utah game was much closer than the score indicated.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Will BYU get a pac 12 win before Utah does?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Now that the division championship is unobtainable, the Utes need to get into a bowl game. That means 7 wins as the win over MSU won't count towards the 6 needed (unless rules have changed over the last few years).

We can do it, all the games were close and within reach until the end of the 3rd quarter.

• Neuron Average, SE
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Utah could certainly win 5 of the upcoming games. In fact, Utah has a great chance of winning all the rest of its games. Pitt isn't that good this year but on the road at Pitt isn't easy, California is pretty weak, Oregon State is a pushover, Arizona is weak, UCLA is a pushover, Washington State isn't very good, and Colorado should not be difficult to beat. The Utes can easily be 5-2 for the rest of the season.

Re: Schwa - Why bring up the BYU game? That has nothing to do with this article. It just looks like you're obsessed with BYU rather than supportive of the Utes.

• Legal Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 7:05 a.m.

Schwa - you do realize that everytime you, or someone else states that "the Cougars still have to live with the fact that they got whipped" or anything along those lines, you are fueling the fire/proving what many of the kitten fans say about Ute fans. Little brother, the Ute season is the BYU game etc. Enjoy the fact that our future looks great in the Pac 12 and give it a rest. We've been whipped THREE times in our conference for the same reason we whipped them. And please people, no more stupid comments on how it is better to be 0-3 in conference than beating patsy teams. We cherish our "patsy" wins over Montana State and BYU.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:17 a.m.

Hays showed some good toughness and athleticism. I think he'll be alright with a little more experience under his belt. Utes just need the defense to play both halves and they will be fine.

• Cougar Blue N. Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 10, 2011 4:54 a.m.

I watched Pitt play South Florida and they looked great but then yesterday they looked not so great. Hard to pick on this upcoming game.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 3:12 a.m.

Hatch...

That's not exactly true. Utah is will get full shares of bowl revenue this year. Whatever bowl games any of the other Pac 12 schools get, Utah will get an equal cut. That figures to be millions.

It's the TV revenue they won't get for a couple years.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Pitt 28
    Utah 20

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:00 p.m.

One nice thing about the rivalry being early is that no matter what the Utes do for the rest of the year, the Cougars still have to live with the fact that they got whipped.

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Oct. 9, 2011 10:34 p.m.

Win or lose, and dismal as this season might turn out to be. Keep fighting! No one said it was ever going to be easy and you have to earn your dues and respect in the Pac-12. Hard work will get you respect! I still love you guys, go UTES!

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 10:05 p.m.

I think it is a shame that these Utes are fighting so hard and getting nothing from the Pac 12 for their efforts. No wins and no money. Remember to get into this league Utes agreed to play for free this year. Thats right ZERO. They will not get paid a dime. All other teams ,including fellow new commer Colorado, get paid millions. I was pulling for the Utes to win the championship that would have forced the PAC 12 to pay them something. Hopefully next year they will win more than half their games to match the 50% share they will be getting. Go Utes. Chris Hill apparently struggles with math but you can play better football than this.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2011 10:03 p.m.

Rose Bowl, baby!!!

• Love the Game American Fork, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Hay's needs to stop signaling the "U" sign with his fingers when he makes a play. His job is to make plays. You are not a linebacker; show some poise and celebrate when you've actually done something, like won a football game. It just makes you look foolish when you throw a pick in the same series as flashing your signs because you ran for a first down.

• DR Hall Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:18 p.m.

If this is college football then this is good learning experience. Getting an excellent education is the most important objective even if you go into the pro category. Put the effort into being the best you can be. But be humble to your neighbors. I respect players who are very respectful to others. We have too many people who have turned to greed and their own egos to feed without limit. I would like to see all people to be nice and thoughtful of each other. I hope the Utes acheive what they are after, and all colleges do the same.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Hays was often throwing behind his receivers on Saturday. I wonder if they don't run full speed at practice, or if he lacks arm strength to zip it in.

Had hoped to win one of the Pac 12 games so far, but still excited to see new opponents coming in to Rice Eccles.