Sports

Utah Utes football: Turnovers plague Utah in 35-14 loss to Arizona State

Comments

• HS Sport Dude South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Folks....seriously. The rants between BYU and Utah fans are really cracking me up. It really reminds me how glad I am to have a real college football team to root for (Alabama) that plays in a real BCS power conference. Your fighting over nobodies.

The only fun a Utah fan can have right now is the fact that you beat your main rival by 44 points. However, your main rival is really bad. They have 4 wins against bad teams. Yep...they beat an SEC Team but so will all the other SEC teams and by many more points than BYU. Vanderbilt beat them by 23. I still feel strongly that other than the 1996 team that beat a good Kansas State team and only lost to a good Washington team no others have been any good. The 1984 bit is a joke. Best team they played was either Hawaii or Air Force (both power houses??) and they beat the 5th place Big Ten Michigan Team for a National Championship. That's weak.

Then Utah. 0-3 in the second weakest BCS conference and now all the talk about "a tough game every week". Wow....it just gets funnier.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 6:39 p.m.

Uteology | 4:03 p.m. Oct. 10, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

Ted H. | 6:03 p.m. Oct. 9, 2011
    Midvale, UT

--------------

Nope. Google is pretty good tool for research.

===

See Ted H...

Utah is a "Research University".

(OK, Uteology is "weirding" me out too.

Oct. 10, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Ted H. | 6:03 p.m. Oct. 9, 2011
    Midvale, UT

--------------

Nope. Google is pretty good tool for research.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 3:54 p.m.

@MidMajor4ever 11:25

Let me translate what you're really saying.

When we Ute fans brag for months and months about how our football team is going to win the PAC 12 Championship and play for the national championship, anything you say as a retort just shows how jealous you are.

And when our team loses its first three PAC 12 games (two of which were home games) you Cougar fans have no right to call us on it. Otherwise, you're just showing how jealous you are of us.

You said - "Try to lose your hate so you don't find yourselves continuing to cheer harder for Utah's opponents rather than focusing on your own independent and wcc schedules."

Translation - Do as we say, not as we do. In our book, throwing mud at BYU is fun, throwing it as Utah is hateful.

You said - "Utah is in the PAC-12, byu isn't, the rivalry is gone. I look forward to the day when we don't play byu annually. It's coming soon!"

Translation - We're honestly afraid of BYU since we know our true measure of success will always depend upon looking over our shoulder at the Y.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Oct. 10, 2011 2:41 p.m.

I was watching the Lone Peak-Pleasant Grove game this past week and Steve Brown mentioned that the Utes wish that Chase Hansen could start the game against ASU, but that there was a rule preventing it. I think that Hansen could have done a better job than Hays. The quarterback position is the problem. We need more options Kyle.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 10, 2011 10:06 a.m.

mgr63

"This is a rebuilding year for the Utes. They haven't even come close to being healthy, are very young, inexperienced etc."

Congratulations on finding the Gary Crowton excuses-r-us archive.

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:59 p.m.

I hold no malice towards Utah or it's fans; only those fans which make a point talk trash or belittle.
    Let's be honest, Utah at this point has hardly proven they are more than a mid-major trying to play in a BCS conference. It's funny how turnovers can change the outcome of a football game riiiight??

• Man About Town Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:45 p.m.

"Hopefully the team can quickly get over the turnover bug that they caught from BYU."

That's pretty weak Hawkeye79: Going back three games and blaming BYU for your current losses to obviously superior teams?

Maybe if you faced the truth, you'd realize it's because Utah just isn't that good. I know you beat BYU. You will never let the Cougars forget how badly you beat BYU 54-10, but when you are facing teams from your own conference, it just doesn't get any worse than 0-3.

How can defeating BYU possibly have anything to do with subsequent games?

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:25 p.m.

The majority of the posts on Utah articles are from little sisters down south. byu, try and forget big brother and focus on your new rival, Utah State.

I realize your envy and jealousy will force you to hope Utah loses every game, afterall, misery does love company, right? Mid-major little sisters are focused more on Utah than their own weak program. Once you lose your first game each year your BCS hopes are gone. The only independent team that can lose a game and still qualify for a BCS bowl game is Notre Dame. Army, Navy and byu are mid-major programs that must win every game to qualify.

Try to lose your hate so you don't find yourselves continuing to cheer harder for Utah's opponents rather than focusing on your own independent and wcc schedules. That must be a difficult way to live. It isn't the Utes fan's fault that byu wasn't invited to a BCS conference. Lose the envy, hate and jealousy and concentrate on your new direction. Utah is in the PAC-12, byu isn't, the rivalry is gone. I look forward to the day when we don't play byu annually. It's coming soon!

UTES!

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:09 p.m.

Haven't heard ChrisB since his "Pac 12 champs. Enough said. Its happening." prediction 3:48pm on Saturday. Weird ;D

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:36 p.m.

"@Riverton Cougar

You make me laugh! Do you HONESTLY think Utah would have lost to ASU if they would have played a good game, turnover free, or Washington ?"

Honestly, no I don't. You guys are trying to make me sound like a Ute hater, when that's just not true. Congratulations for taking advantage of BYU's mistakes, but it's too bad you had two similar games afterwards (with the Utes doing the turnovers).

• PAC 10.2 Doormat Springville, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:05 p.m.

@mgr63

"This is a rebuilding year for the Utes..."

Uh, not at all! According to many of you Utesies this was to be the march to Pasadena.

It's hilarious to see some of you guys ratchet it down a bit after 18 months of bluster. The stark reality is that Utah was never more than a trick pony a couple of years and for the rest of them they were a perennial second or third place team in their conferences.

After 0-3 in the Pac 10.2 it really shows.

Nevermind trying to deflect this by reminding BYU of its poor performance, you guys were really supposed to be something this years. You said so.

You're not now and a few more games will just prove my point even more.

• parrothead orem, ut
    Oct. 9, 2011 8:39 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

Turnovers, hard hits, mistakes are part of the game, and Utah DOMINATED the Cougs--it really happened !

• whomee Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 8:31 p.m.

Utah may not get to a BCS bowl for years.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 8:26 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

"I liked the U sooooo much more before I started reading these comment sections."

The number of Ute fans, or BYU fans posting on here is probably just a fraction of 1% of their total fan base. Regardless of how obnoxious the Ute or Cougar fans posting here (or elsewhere) are. The internet fans always overrate their own team, and are haters of their rivals. That goes for both Cougar and Ute internet posters.

I love the Utes, but every Ute fan that I know personally has a very realistic outlook on their invite to the PAC 12. Every Ute fan that I personally know will be thrilled if in the first few years the Utes can win just a few conference games each year. The Ute posters here seem to think that the PAC 12 championship belonged automatically to the Utes, which is nonsense. Same thing with Cougar fans that I personally know. They have all been realistic also with their teams, and never talk National Championship or other inflated, unrealistic hope.

The internet posters are another story, unfortunately. Fortunately, they represent only a tiny portion of the actual fan base.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Oct. 9, 2011 7:39 p.m.

This is a rebuilding year for the Utes. They haven't even come close to being healthy, are very young, inexperienced etc.... part of being a "real" football fan is putting things into perspective. Utah has been beaten by three very fine opponents and has won two games against extremely poor, substandard football programs. Maybe Wynn can get healthy and win a few more games? If not, next year should be quite promising I believe. Goooooooo Utes!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2011 6:26 p.m.

"@phoenix

Try reading what I posted. I didn't bring up the the rivalry game. I just proved one of your obsessed Ute haters wrong. A simple thank you would have been the appropriate response."

Uteology,

Obsessed Ute hater? Is that what I am? I'm sorry, but you have no credibility after making that claim. Go back through the archives and find all my posts on Ute articles (articles not found in the BYU section).

Do you HONESTLY think that if BYU had played a good game, turnover-free, that Utah would have dominated BYU? That's my point.

My dad is currently getting a doctorate degree at the U, he got his undergrad degree at the U, because his dad (my grandpa) was a professor at the U. I have respect for the U. It's fans like you that make part of me smile inside when the kind of thing we saw yesterday happens to you! I liked the U sooooo much more before I started reading these comment sections.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Veritas, pretty creepy uteology saves your posts for well over a year. That weirds me out. And in his next post he calls someone else "obsessed." Hilarious! I enjoyed thinking about you yesterday uteology. Big smile all day!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Uteology | 4:47 p.m. Oct. 9, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Veritas Aequitas | 11:52 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011

Nice Saturday yesterday... I was able to attend both games! RES and LES.

--------------

Why would a Ute hater pay for ticket to watch a game @RES?

===

When have I ever claimed to be a Ute hater...?

(I do get tired of a few of the lame, arrogant fans, but most Utah supporters up in this area are really very normal people...)

...Or ever claimed to pay for tickets to either BYU or Utah?

(Although I got a slice at the Pie, and dinner before the game at Goodwoods. Wanna know what kinda car we rode in?)

I know, it's a weird concept, but, living in Utah, and having many friends and connections, it's not beyond reality.

(I'll give you a few minutes to let your brain stop swelling on the concept... Don't go all "Scanners" on us...)

Give me your address and I'll mail you copies of the ticket stubs.

Oct. 9, 2011 5:09 p.m.

@phoenix

Oct. 9, 2011 4:47 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas | 11:52 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011

Nice Saturday yesterday... I was able to attend both games! RES and LES.

--------------

Why would a Ute hater pay for ticket to watch a game @RES?

"Utah is better than Pitt...LOL... Enjoy the beatdown, because the season rolls downhill from there... You are not, nor will ever be BYU...."
    --Veritas Aequitas (Aug. 21, 2010)

• Terry Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Utes can't win any Pac 12 games at home, what luck will they have against even the worst Pac 12 teams on the road? Sure would be embarrassing going 0-8 in their first year of the Pac 12, especially in the weakest division and the gift of not playing Oregon OR Stanford! I hope they get it together and at least get bowl eligible, but even that is looking optimistic.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2011 1:06 p.m.

Zona Zone--You should be extremely happy now that Utah and Colorado have joined the PAC 10. Just think, your team will not be the perenial doormat any longer. Your team may be able to (at least in occasional years)jump just above Utah and Colorado instead of reside at the bottom of the PAC 12. Or, are you saying that you are sad now because your team will be at the bottom of 11 other teams instead of just 9?

• TheTruth801 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Again, as I have stated before, the Pac 12 is big boy football. The MWC is not equal tot he Pac 12 nor has it ever been. Now the Utes better beat UCLA and WSU or they must be silent until next year. You guys laughed at Washington State. Really? Be careful for what you ask for. BYU fan, don't get excited either. Please peopl of Utah, admit you did not know what you are talking about when it comes to comparing conferences.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Uteology

Still obsessed with BYU? The fact that you're more concerned with rehashing an "irrelevant" game played three weeks ago, than talking about the loss to ASU the effectively ended any chance Utah had of winning the PAC 12 South, shows just how BYU-obsessed you really are.

Win or lose, BYU is the standard by which Utah fans judge Utah's success.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Utah and BYU. Face reality. Neither team has the talent or depth of the major conference teams. We love our teams, but we're blinded by our hopes and egos.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:20 p.m.

JDL.... actually i don't think loosing to ASU says much, but please, lets get realistic on strength of schedule. Utahs competition so far have cone 22-5. BYU's competition is so far 14-17. BYU only has one quality team left - TCU. So getting all chuffed over BYU's record - which I do support by the way - is getting a bit a head of your self.

Lets be real honest here, BYUs schedule is much softer than Utah's. BYU will win enough games this year to be bowl eligible. Utah may or may not. But BYU getting to a bowl by beating some of the weakest teams in the NCAA by no means equates to them being a better team than Utah this year.

• 93Coog Orem, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Wow-- Utes and Yankees lose in the same week...Happy Birthday to me! Now if the Broncos go down, It'll be the trifecta!

Oct. 9, 2011 11:55 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar 12:37 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011

The game was over when Utah was up 24-10 at BYU with turnovers being 3-2 (+1 Utah). After the turnovers Utah won by 44 points.

To claim that BYU would have come back and scored 14+ points on Utah is defying reality since:

A) BYU's offense has NOT been able to to score consistently against BCS teams.

B) BYU's offense has scored 41 points in the 2nd half in 6 games, that's less than 7 points per game. All 41 points against mid-majors.

C) Utah is 7-3 vs BYU over the last decade, with 3 blowout wins.

So yes I can see how YOU can see BYU "could have" won the game. However, reality disagrees with your analysis.

• little heavy Kingston, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:52 a.m.

dwil7474;
    soon, you will learn, grasshopper, soon you will learn

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Uteology | 11:29 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

Veritas Aequitas | 2:35 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT
    Zona Zone | 11:46 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011
    Mesa, AZ

Come on, a Sun Devil fan is not about to post that weak smack on this board.

-----------

True, a BYU fan is.

Veritas, man up and admit it was you. Your FIRST post after a Ute loss was at 2:35 am? The probability of that is around zero not one.
    ===

Nice Saturday yesterday..

I was able to attend both games!

RES and LES.

I posted when I got home.

Like I am posting now when I wake up.

"Zero not one".

You never understood logic.

Dude, if you want to call me out, call me out for what I post, not what someone else posts.

I was the first to call ZonaZona a troll.

I never thought you could be lamer than before, however I was wrong.

Face it.

Vegas Bowl may be a longshot at this point.

Oct. 9, 2011 11:29 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas | 2:35 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT
    Zona Zone | 11:46 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011
    Mesa, AZ

Come on, a Sun Devil fan is not about to post that weak smack on this board.

-----------

True, a BYU fan is.

Anyway, yes Utah stinks is playing some really sloppy football.

@Cougs4Life
    "The real drama next weekend will be to see if BYU can get a Pac10 win before Utah does!"

If you were playing a PAC-12 team like Utah: 54-10
    Since your playing a San Jose State 2.0: BYU 27 OSU 17

Oct. 9, 2011 11:15 a.m.

@Zona Zone | 11:46 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011

Are you sure you're a ASU fan? You hit all the talking points Utah haters have been posting since we got the PAC-12 invite.

I real football fan would know that stadium size, fan base, and tradition have nothing to do with how competitive Utah will be in much tougher PAC-12. It comes down to coaching and recruiting. What Utah lacks is depth.

Speaking of being competitive, lets hope in the next few years where a little more competitive than ASU in the PAC-12:

2010 4-5 (6-6)
    2009 2-7 (4-8)
    2008 4-5 (5-7)

Rise and shout!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2011 11:00 a.m.

If the inexperienced Hays can learn quickly enough not to throw interceptions, he looks to be much better than Wynn. He seems to have a pretty good arm, and is mobile. I liked what I saw in him. (Yes, I, a BYU fan, watched the Ute game, and NOT just to see them lose.)

Not sure the Utes' next two games are where you can "mature" a QB. Road games against decent BCS teams looks like two more losses.

Do the state proud and right the ship!

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Here's the reality for Ute fans: U are going to see highs higher than you have ever seen before. But, you will probably see some very low lows as well.

Can Utah hit the Rose Bowl? Its possible.

Can Utah end the season below .500 and not get a Bowl invite. Its possible.

Gotta take it for what it is. The high highs will definitely be worth the lowest of lows. As a Cougar fan, I would obviously trade spots in a heart beat.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 10:35 a.m.

UtahBlueDevil said:)

"But to think a win over one of the nations worst teams means more and is worth chest pumping than playing real top 20 teams, you have been hanging out at the kool-aid table too long."

Are you kidding me UBD? Utah's played 1 top 20 (ASU #22 who will have a hard time wining the PAC12) team this year and lost 35-14 and what other top 20 teams are on the U's schedule this year? Oh, Utah did beat Montana State.

BYU played Texas who rose to #11 and lost by 1 point, who lost to #3 badly. Yes BYU beat SJS which isn't really saying a whole lot. I don't put alot of stock in playing Texas, but you seem to think playing ASU gives you some amount of credibility, so I'll concede that to you.

Your argument only suggests, you think Utah's on par with BYU. Ute fans should take that as a compliment!

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 10:19 a.m.

It doesn't matter the score. It really doesn't matter who you played. What matters in the end is whether you won or lost...

That being said, I think the true measure of a team is to see what adjustments they make week in and week out. Do they make the same mistakes they made the previous week? Do they make changes and mix up the play calling? It doesn't really matter who they are playing each week, but it does matter if they made adjustments to meet the demands their opponent will pile on them.

We still have a lot of football left, and I believe we can see some exciting games from three teams who can improve and save their seasons.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:46 a.m.

The real drama next weekend will be to see if BYU can get a Pac10 win before Utah does! And, to the ute fan that predicted a 7-5 record? Which five games do you really think you will win this year.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:44 a.m.

I love college football and i watch a lot of games. The biggest thing i can say about the pac-12 is speed, speed, and more speed. The other thing is QB play all 11 teams have a quality QB some have 2 or 3, But not the Utes they have a D-2 QB as a starter and maybe a 1AA who is hurt. Please go and get some good qb's this year. Chase Hansen could start for the Utes right now and I'm not kidding.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:32 a.m.

I will always love my Utes! I have bled red since attending the U in the eighties (anyone else remember Jim Fossel?) and we have come a long way. The future is bright, and I have no doubt we will continue to get even better and more competitive in the coming years. It might take time to get used to our new conference (we definitely don't have the easy schedule of yesteryear) but I am grateful for the challenge. I would much rather face stiff competition that makes us dig down and improve, then roll over mid-level teams week after week.

Go Utes and stay strong!!

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:06 a.m.

I hope the smack talk on here is just from a bunch of students from both schools who apparently think they're still in high school and are having pep rallys on Friday morning in the gym. That would explain the football mentality. Lets look at facts. Utah has chosen to join the PAC 10. It's not going to be easy. Did you posters watch the game today? Here's the facts: Utah does not have the athletes to pose any threat at the big names in the conference. They may hang for a half, three quarters...tops. Let's not even talk about the 2nd tier players. And there, lies the difference. These other schools are so talanted from top to bottom it's not funny. It's not Utah fault, it will take time, recruiting, and paitence. I'm not letting the Utes off the hook though. This team is not playing to it's potential, stop making silly turnovers, you can control that. And as far as 54-10 is concerened... Like it or not.....BYU is no longer your measuring stick....grow up

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 9:06 a.m.

As a Cougar fan I am not going to try to rub anything in Utes faces about the loss today. I fully expected the Sun Devils to win and thats what happened.

What really makes me question Ute mentality is all the trash talk we heard about BYU fans leaving the game early during your precious 54-10 blowout. But then, from what I hear, for the past two weeks many Ute fans have been leaving early?

C'mon, Utes, youre suppose to be better than that, right?

I sat there until the bitter end watching Ute fans in OUR house celebrated a well deserved win down in Provo. That was tough. U guys cant even stick around when its teams from Wash and Az?

I hope those of you that stayed were yelling at your fellow ute fans to sit down and "take it like a man".

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 8:15 a.m.

I hear that the Utes will be serving up spicy pumpkin turnovers until after Thanksgiving. Welcome to LAST place in the weak Southern division of the mighty conference or shampeons. What was it some of you said about BYU? Something about knowing that no matter how well they did after their first loss, they had nothing more to shoot for than the AF Bowl. Looks like there is a pretty good chance U won't get to a bowl game at all. Ouch!!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 9, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Good news Utes. Your remaining schedule includes three PAC teams without a conference win, plus one win Oregon State. If you don't win those four games to get New Mexico bowl eligible, you're in real trouble.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 9, 2011 7:11 a.m.

Why does anyone really think a singular win years ago against a PAC 10 team means anything with regards to this years team? I see all the garbage about BYU having beaten Oregon........ does anyone who is even slightly sane think this years BYU (or even Utah) team could beat Oregon?

Jake - we beat San Jose State...!!!! Are you kidding me that you thin this means anything?

And, we are now finding out it is a lot harder to go 6-6 in the PAC 12 than it is to run the table in the MWC or WAC. BYU and the U have in the past been the real deal. They are still both good programs. But to think a win over one of the nations worst teams means more and is worth chest pumping than playing real top 20 teams, you have been hanging out at the kool-aid table too long.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 2:35 a.m.

Zona Zone | 11:46 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011
    Mesa, AZ

Change your location for this, but really, a troll?

Come on, a Sun Devil fan is not about to post that weak smack on this board.

===

However, many Utes posted they would buy tickets just to watch other PAC schools play. BUT, will they buy tickets to see them get embarassed each week? Where is the fun in that?

What will happen if BYU is the only local team that beats a BCS team this year?

===

Ute arrogance is getting a little bit softer.

If all you wanted was a win against BYU U could have stayed in the MWC. I believe Ute fans expected more (PAC championship game first seasn, maybe a Rose Bowl).

Higher ticket prices to watch your team get blown out?

If the MWC can turn RES into a tumbleweed town, what is the PAC going to do?

So sad to see people in red moping around at restaurants around town after the blow outs.

Turn it around Utes. Those tickets aren't free!

• Foolish Child Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 2:12 a.m.

I guess I just don't understand all the Utes patting themselves on the back so much for being 0-3 in their new conference just because they have beaten a school (BYU) that they all consider completely irrelevant.

It seems to me BYU must be relevant if the Utes can still consider a losing season a success as long as one of their (few) wins is over the Cougars.

Ute fan logic: Utes have arrived in A BCS Conference and deserved to be there so much more than BYU, and yet they can't win a game in that conference so far. They still think they are something special because they beat their "irrelevant" former rivals.

If BYU football really doesn't matter, why do Utes define the success of their season not on win/loss record, not on bowl invites, not on conference or even division championships, but on beating the Y?

I'd really like an honest answer because by your logic it seems BYU football is relevant. If the Utes lose to the Cougars, your season is a failure by your own definition.

Utes relevance in their own eyes is tied to BYU and apparently always will be.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 1:50 a.m.

BYU 4-2
    Utah 2-3 (0-3)

Simple as that.

Utah will be lucky to get to .500 and make a bowl.

• jw_bluecoug SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:57 a.m.

THE BIG QUESTION FOR THE SEASON..

Are the Utes going to get a conference win??

Side Notes: 0-3 does not get you to the Pac 10.5 championship or BCS bowl
    you guys were so hyped up about at the beginning.

Atleast the Cougars have a winning record!

• relientk Lindon, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:52 a.m.

Hey U, yeah ya beat us this year, but at least we don't have a loosing record right now...and Pitt and Cal are up next. Hello 2-5!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:45 a.m.

"This 0-3 start in the Pac-12 is not an aberration; it is what awaits you. There is little chance that you will ever turn this around."

We don't even have a QB anymore and we played the arguably 3rd 4th and 5th best teams in the conference. If we start losing to the Oregon States and Colorados of the conference... then I'll be worried.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:37 a.m.

I think Utah is not doing as well because they misinterpreted their success against BYU. They took it to mean that they are a good team, when in fact it is more because BYU was bitten by the turnover bug (from which Utah is suffering; it must be contagious). Utah probably would have beat ASU if not for the turnovers, taking into account that those turnovers also demoralize a team. Likewise, BYU would probably have beaten Utah (as most people predicted) had BYU not played such a horrible game.

So, how good are these teams really? We don't know, and they seem to want to hide it from us.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:08 a.m.

sorry about your loss Utes....at least it was against a great team. I realized today that I really don't have much bad to say because even though we beat a WAC team....I'm still not satisfied. Anyway, good luck and hope you guys found or will find a qb.

Oct. 9, 2011 12:07 a.m.

@Zona Zone
    You [Utah] can not and will not ever be able to compete in this conference.

--------------

That's funny coming from a fan of a team that went:

2010 6-6 (4-5 PAC-10)
    2009 4-8 (2-7 PAC-10)

Utah just needs to win two games to match your 2009 team.

Oct. 8, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Jake2010
    29-16 a struggle?

----------

Yes, you just beat San Jose State not San Diego State.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 11:46 p.m.

I came on here the other day and talked up ASU, and I got called out by some Utah fans, asking where I would be after ASU lost? Well, I ask those commenters where are they? As far as I am concerned, our conference made a major mistake adding the University of Utah. You have had a rude reality check. This 0-3 start in the Pac-12 is not an aberration; it is what awaits you. There is little chance that you will ever turn this around. Of all the Pac-12 teams, you have the smallest budget, the smallest fan base, the shortest tradition, and one of the smallest stadiums. You are doomed to a Washington State-like existence. Soon, Rice-Eccles will be empty as it was in 2001. The fans will disappear. Because of the Utes' admission to the Pac-12, the university will be richer, the football team poorer. You can not and will not ever be able to compete in this conference.

• thebudmiller American Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 11:28 p.m.

I have to agree with Bleed Crimson. I would much rather watch Utah lose to their Pac12 opponents than watch my Cougars beat the San Jose States of the world. It is much more enjoyable.

• cjf Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 11:13 p.m.

@sammyg

"Ute math is not all what it's cracked up to be."

ROFL!!!

Here's some math for you:
    1) 54 - 10
    2) 3 out of the last 4
    3) 7 out of the last 10
    4) 3 out of the last 5 have been by 24 points or more

Sure, Utah doesn't look good right now. But, how does that make BYU look? Hint: not good!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 11:02 p.m.

29-16 a struggle? LOL LOL at 54-10 just to turn out 2-10. Remember croneys that BYU will have played and beaten Oregon State... Will U?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 10:55 p.m.

@Uteology

I thought I was being nice by saying BYU exposed themselves on national tv by losing to the Utes. Do you have a different definition of the word 'exposed'

We're beyond who we lose to at this stage of the game. Both teams.

I suppose you'll always say that the Utes played a tougher schedule this year and that a losing season is better than a BYU winning season. Ute math is not all what it's cracked up to be.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 10:26 p.m.

@ Jake2010 | 9:58 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011
    Bountiful, Ut

Don't need to compare OSU scores. You may have forgotten but Utah and BYU already played at BYU's place. Score: 54-10. Oh, forgot to mention that Utah was the 54.

LOL

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Oct. 8, 2011 10:19 p.m.

@ClarkHippo: I am not backtracking and have stated earlier that it would be an adjustment. So let's get down to the real issue here - both Utah and BYU are now learning where they really fit in from a college football standpoint. Neither program has or has had the depth to play a top flight conference schedule. BYU's whole hopes of playing for a national championship again is based on beating inferior teams and then rolling the dice for a single big game. It isn't going to happen. The system may be rigged to support a 1-loss SEC team, but that team is way better than BYU will ever be.

Utah at least has a chance, but the adjustment will be long. I apologize for irrational fans from Utah, but we were hearing National Championship talk from BYU fans six weeks ago too. Both fan bases have healthy, in some cases out of control, egos.

It is time to get over it. BYU is a great school, but a middling football program with a very, very padded record. It is crystal clear where both schools really fit in the pecking order.

Oct. 8, 2011 10:17 p.m.

@sammyg
    The Utes showed the world last year what a cupcake schedule was and exposed themselves nationally 3 times. BYU has only done that once this year.

---------- --------------

News flash Utah got exposed by AP #2 TCU, #9 Boise, #33 @ND.

Who have you played this year that was that good? Texas? They'll be out of the top 30 next week.

You've struggled against 2-3 Ole Miss and Utah State. And as of this second your are struggling against 2-3 San Jose State.

Just be thankful that your not playing a PAC-12 or Big 12 schedule.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 10:05 p.m.

No LifeLong Ute "U" won't be in the inaugural Pac-12 championship game. What today did is ENSURE that ASU would be there. Dennis Erickson has turned the program around and this is not just a fleeting adjustment that will be here today and gone tomorrow or later down the road in the season. ASU owns the DOUBLE tie breaker against the Utes as of today and it will only worsen as the season progresses... Especially after OSU gets only their 3rd win of the season against ya. It will be Oregon and ASU for the championship and sadly Utah won't even be having aspirations to go to their beloved Vegas Bowl where they could play and get killed once again by the Bucking Broncos of Boise State.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:58 p.m.

The Utes and Cougars both play the Beavers... I would sure hate to watch you utes eat crow after losing to a team (OSU) that was beaten by a team you beat(byu)... One of very likely only 2 teams all season that a W was even recorded against... Yes, I'm glad the Beavers are on both schedules this year.... the 15th and 29th could shut up a lot of fans that want to retain some sense of, some showing of dignity.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:56 p.m.

looking forward to next year but more importantly, ute b-ball will be here soon.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:53 p.m.

@Bleed Crimson and Randy01

Rest assured that winning anything at this point is far better than what you guys are going through presently and in the foreseeable future.

Did the Utes learn anything from last season?

Thanks for caring and watching BYU football.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:53 p.m.

For ASU what could see them win a national title before the Utes do, which I feel could very much happen it is because of Dennis Erickson.... Remember the titles he won in Miami? That is the connection that has this phenomenal yet highly expected turn around to have happened to our neighbors down south. :) GO ASU! Bring home the championship!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Turnoversity of Utah! LOL here is something rather interesting. In 2 wins the Utes won 27 and 54-10... Fair enough... Another trend, excessively disturbing is that the Utes have lost 23, 31 and 35-14..... Consistency that I'd love to see continue since this season is a lost cause. What I don't get is if Utah was this high and mighty team that we all thought they were with their two bcs busting near blow outs why have they not been able to play in conference regular season play like they did in the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls? Are they only a mid major in talent? I mean seriously!

• cjf Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:49 p.m.

BYU loses to Utah 54-10, loses the last 7 out of 10 to Utah, and 3 out of the last 5 losses to Utah have been blowouts by 24 or more points.

Cougar fans constantly remind everybody that their school is supposedly "academically superior" to Utah.

How funny. The supposedly superior intellectual Cougar fans sure do have bad logic.

After comparing BYU to Utah in football over the past 10 years, and particularly this year's 54-10 blowout, one would think that Cougar fans would not be so foolish to talk smack, regardless of how Utah performed today.

Cougar fans: here is some very elementary logic: given the above statistics, if you put down Utah, you squash your own program even lower by your negative comments. I don't understand why you don't get this. Unless you enjoy making foolish comments and do a de-facto squashing of your own team with your comments.

Funny stuff.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@Randy01 9:12

As a Cougar fan, I'm not suggesting BYU would do any better than Utah. Anyone who would make such a claim is both ignorant and silly.

You said, "Jumping to one of the top 4 BCS conferences is no picnic. I did not expect, nor did most rational Utah fans expect Utah to win the PAC-12 this year. It is a 4 to 6 year adjustment to playing in a better league."

There must only be five or six rational Ute fans on earth then, because after months and months of having PAC 12 flags waved in my face and seeing PAC 12 bumper stickers up and down the freeway, the only thing I've heard from Ute fans is how they have "arrived" and will finally get to play for the national championship in football. And no one said it would be in four or five years from now either.

Even on the DNews comment boards I've read Ute fan after Ute fan say:

"We're going to win the PAC 12."

"We're going to be the National Champs. Mark it down."

Sorry Randy01, but its too late to backtrack now.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Soooo disappointed about the offense. I figured Hays would have his problems, but for the entire offense to do that was pitiful. For a while I really think we out-played and out-coached ASU, but once the turnovers happened, it all was shot to the ground. I feel bad for the coaches, i thought they did everything they could, but the offensive players didn't seem to be all that focused today. It'll turn around though, and I know that Whit will make things happen. Whit knows he has hard work ahead of him, but I don't think he is going to back down from it.

Go Utes nonetheless!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:38 p.m.

wardu- do you mean the pseudo NC trophy? It's funny how often that comes up lately. The Utes bust the BCS when the Y can't and so the only thing you guys have is 84. Remember how Al Bundy used to always talk about scoring 4 TD's in a a high school game? You know? he was living in the past. Does that ring a bell? The reason we have the BCS today is the 84 pseudo champ cougars. No one wanted that to happen again. Bo Diddly Tech even ended their program after that year.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:32 p.m.

54-10
    still feels good? wow you have a lot to look forward to in life.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:12 p.m.

Cougar Fans: So the key question is, do you think that BYU would do any better? Btw, your loss to Texas doesn't look any better now that Oklahoma dismantled them. Utah beat you 54-10 just 3 weeks ago. Jumping to one of the top 4 BCS conferences is no picnic. I did not expect, nor did most rational Utah fans expect Utah to win the PAC-12 this year. It is a 4 to 6 year adjustment to playing in a better league.

It would be the same or worse for BYU. Your schedule has allowed you build the illusion of a "storied" program with many 9 and 10 win seasons. The truth is that BYU was only truly relevant in terms of offensive innovation during the 1980s and early 1990s. Even then, BYU could not have stood up to a major conference schedule.

Let's be clear on the ESPN deal as well. ESPN didn't buy BYU, they bought the LDS sports advertising market.

I am sure that a rousing win against San Jose State, the 100th and something best team in college football will make you feel a lot better.

Go Utes!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Gotta love the fact that BYU fans are rubbing off their 54-10 beat down when Utah loses conference games. Got news for you Cougies! What does our struggles say about your pathetic school down south? 54-10 loss to a Utah team that is 0-3 in the Pac-12 so far speaks for itself. Hope your fans are ready for their cupcake schedule that is ahead them.

• ASU_Devil TEMPE, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 8:48 p.m.

I love one of the deseret news writers, saying utah was every bit as good as ASU,
    i read an article by a deseret sports writer saying utah ws every bit as good as ASU, so commical.

Truth be told alot of college football fans have said for a long time that Utah has been over rated and play inferior competition. Apparently so true now.

Well as the old saying goes "Your not in Kansas anymore" The superior athletes in the PAc 12 are showing that Utah is not really an elite college program, maybe for one BCS game, but run the PAc 12 and maybe then u can say that. Devils straight up where superiior, Utah had one good QTR, hope you win at leat a few conference games this year, to avoid a onset of depression.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 8:47 p.m.

Uhhh, nice comments from the Utes about BYU scheduling San Jose State, which is the same school Utah scheduled the last few years.

So, how's the Pac-12 working for you?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 8:13 p.m.

@ PistonHonda | 7:55 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011
    Houston, TX

" I see you guys still can't manage to escape BYU's shadow or your BYU complex." Says the troll as he trolls through a Utah article.

Typical.

• dwil7474 CLEARFIELD, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:58 p.m.

So I'm from az but live here in Utah and was wearing all my az state gear at the game today. Everytime I walked by people they were like welcome to Utah lol I hope they know that every az state fan doesnt live in az haha and when asu won everyone was like congratulations like I was on the team. And I got really sick of u fans trying to fight me when I was simply there to root for my team. I normally always root for the u unless they play az state but their fans are gonna make me hate them. But it's all good asu still WON!!! Go sun devils!!!!

Next week Pitt 24 Utah 35. Only reason I'm still rooting for Utah is because I'm assuming not all u fans are like the ones I sat by and I there's no way I'll ever go for byu

• PistonHonda Houston, TX
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:55 p.m.

I like that Ute fans here still have their screen names with references to BYU. I see you guys still can't manage to escape BYU's shadow or your BYU complex. I thought you guys were leaving BYU behind? Can't seem to do so. If BYU wins out with some convincing wins, especially against TCU (which I consider unlikely), they might, just might end the season ranked #25. And it's possible BYU could win out. Sadly, I can't say the same for Utah. It's hard to see them winning out and making themselves noticeable in the country's eyes. Keep in mind, if you want respect at the end of the day, winning means everything. Regardless of schedule, BYU currently doesn't have a losing record. Utah does.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:52 p.m.

Apparently Pac-12 teams do quit. Just look at the utes in the second half of both of their last two games. Either they quit or are just not talented enough to compete with the rest of the conference.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Oh and Chris B..... really, you need to back off the Kool-aid home fry. Pac 12 Champs? Really?

Come on dude, they have psych wards with people saying less crazy things.

Someday maybe, but this year.... ? Really?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:37 p.m.

Ok, former student of both schools.. like them both..... but.....

BYI fans - really? The only thing we do know is that one team this year is for sure worse than the Utes, and that is BYU. I mean, who are the Cougars playing today.... San Jose State..... boy, how did you manage to get them on your schedule. Was Provo High busy today?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:30 p.m.

...still feels good. Need to work harder to beat PAC 12 teams. They don't quit.

• D'Anconia Providence, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:19 p.m.

That was such a disappointing game. What a joke. Given what happened last week, wouldn't protecting the football have been the primary focus in practice? But there it was again. Hays forcing passes he had no business throwing and White trying to fight for an extra 1/2 yard without protecting the football.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:16 p.m.

Hey Chris B,

This going on the team's board and predicting is kind of fun. I now see why you do it. I predicted ASU 38 Utah 9. Hey I was pretty close. Let's try this again.

Pitt 24
    Utah 17

See I am thinking you are improving. You will not lose by such a wide margin next time. But I still only give you about a 25% chance of even going bowling.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:15 p.m.

I think Utah should expect a experience close to ASU and U of A when they entered the then PAC-8. Not too many trips to the Rose Bowl (ASU twice/U of A zero and remember ASU was a powerhouse under Frank Kush). However, there is one thing that ASU and U of A have that Utah doesn't, a total athletic program. I think football will have a 9-3 season every once in a great while, mostly 7-5, 6-6, 5-7 but every once in a while the Utes will compete well, not sure how bad the baseball team will be when they play Stanford, CAL, ASU, Oregon State, USC, UCLA though.

As for BYU's trip down Independence Lane, some good opponents once in a while but a lot of games against Idaho State on ESPN 3 on Tuesday nights. I think the PAC-12/Independence thing might bring in some money infusion but with a lot of mediocre seasons for the Utes in the W-L column and a bunch of yawner opponents for Cougar fans.

Be careful what you ask for I suppose...

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:11 p.m.

Re: Duh

Army is independent too, should their goal be to win a championship next year? I'm sure some players might dream about it, but it is not realistic at all to have that as a goal for them.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:04 p.m.

No smack talk here, tough loss utes.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 7:01 p.m.

@Uncle Rico....

Uhmmmmm, what else does BYU talk about? Didn't you notice we have no conference affiliation? Yes, Utah has a conference and many BYU fans are most likely jealous but when you don't, what would you like us to talk about? Just wondering. In order for BYU to go to a BCS game, we would have to be undefeated. No exceptions, we all understand that. So now, we can talk about a winning season and a bowl game. Anyone can do that but I am not going to tell my team "heck guys, lets just go out and win enough to have a winning season".

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:52 p.m.

KKCC Wander on down to Provo and view the crystal football trophy sometime. It is real and it is not going away. Ever. Games, good and bad come and go. Until U win a NC, you will have to be happy with beating a national champion from time to time.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Re: "Whitt only won one MWC championship, why are ute fans thinking the PAC championshiop is in the bag? This may truly be the most arrogant fan base I've ever seen."

Wait, which team had a QB and a coach talking National Title before the season started?

• Big Pappy west jordan, utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:47 p.m.

Looks like the Utes came ready to play today? At least the first Half. They may only win 1 PAC 12 game this year. OSU and Arizona are both capable of beating the U. So many turnovers I thought I was watching BYU there for a minute. This U team is a long way from competing in this conference. I even feel like they are only a middle of the pack Mountain West team. Alot of Hype and no substance.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:46 p.m.

>the Utes who played well enough to win, except for the turnovers...

...and the weak offense, and giving up 35 points.
    So, other than their offense and defense, the Utes were solid...

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Based on what I am seeing I would have thought the Pac was full of world beaters, but I know better.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:41 p.m.

Welcome to the PAC-12.

I guess all those turnovers last week were just a fluke.

Oh, wait...

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:32 p.m.

Laser | 6:17 p.m. Oct. 8, 2011
    Iowa City, IA

Your "house" must lack mirrors.

• KKCC UTAH, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:30 p.m.

"Well now, did I just see one of the wheels of the bus go rolling by? In the here and now though, I love how Ute fan keeps hugging that 54-10 blankie. Keep a good hold of it. "

Hey, we will only keep a hold of it as long as the cougars keep a hold of 1984

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Holding penalties away from the action on a 60 yard pass and run, interceptions, fumbles, personal fouls when YOU score a touchdown etc etc etc show a severe lack of discipline. Clean that up and U may have a chance.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:25 p.m.

@GoRed......

Yeah, those are stupidty that foolish BYU fans keep posting like your fellow fans Chris B, msg63, johnjingle whatever and a few others. Are you saying your going to stoop to their level too? There are alot of BYU fans, myself included, who actually root for Utah when they are not playing BYU so give them some credit too. Take it for what it's worth. Like I posted yesterday, if BYU continues to win and if Utah can win, it makes you look better. If you lose, it does't help us at all so why would I root against you. Until we no longer play each other, we are in this boat together whether you like it or not.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:19 p.m.

USC + Washington + Arizona State = Cellar Dwellers for them utes

Welcome to the Pac boys!

Go Pitt!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:17 p.m.

• nairbnosral American Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:17 p.m.

@ GoRed | 5:33 p.m.

"By the way, it's interesting how many BYU fans are on this comment board. Remember, we beat you 54-10."

That's exactly WHY we are here. You humiliated us and we can't help but be happy when you are humiliated two weeks in a row. Our team is no good. The only thing we have to look forward to is the U's failures.

And yes, we are SICK (and incredibly jealous) of you because you were invited to a BCS conference. I freely admit it. It makes me crazy that BYU was left out in the cold. BUT, an invitation does not automatically make you a better team than you were in the MWC. No championships for years to come...

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:17 p.m.

GoRed

Good point; the Utes should stop beating their chests about playing in a BCS conference until they actually win a game in a BCS conference.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:13 p.m.

The Utes are doing exactly what the PAC 12 was hoping for when they were invited to join the conference, providing a punching bag for the big boys of the conference to pad their records.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Uteolgy

"Yet, Utah had a better chance of a PAC-12 title than BYU winning a NC this year."

Based on Utah's 0-3 PAC 12 start? lol

At this rate, BYU could finish with a better record against BCS teams than Utah.

BYU 1-2
    Utah 0-3

• bebot SHAWNEE MISSION, KS
    Oct. 8, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Utah what's do you like better? Big fish in a small pond or tadpole in the ocean?

I'm not a BYU fan so don't respond with a BYU comment. Just answer the simple question I asked?

• HuskyBark Seattle, WA
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:58 p.m.

Look at the bright side, you dont have to play Oregon or Stanford.

• drudge Layton, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:56 p.m.

Larry Scott: Can we have a do-over?

PAC University Presidents: But the Utes will be an easy win for our programs each year. Think of them as the Wyoming or UNLV of the PAC 12.

Larry Scott: Didn't UNLV beat Utah not long ago 24-0?

PAC University Presidents: Maybe we should have invited UNLV.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:56 p.m.

@Duh

You say "The fans who continue to post 54-10 are living in the past." Very funny. This game was played only three weeks ago. Yet how many times have we been reminded of "Harline is open," "4th and 18," or reference to 1984? These were all several years ago, yet they always manage to get brought up.

Nice try.

Oct. 8, 2011 5:54 p.m.

@TheSportsAuthority
    "Setting a goal of winning a national championship pales in comparison to declaring yourselves PAC 12 champions"

----------

Big smack coming from a fan-base that celebrates a 1-0 team at Provo Airport and prints "Perfection" t-shirts in August.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Uteology

Setting a goal of winning a national championship pales in comparison to declaring yourselves PAC 12 champions before you've won your first conference game. Utah fans have been smelling Roses since June 2010.

Gotta laugh at the arrogance of Utah fans thinking that Utah was suddenly going to start winning PAC 12 championships every year, when the Utes have only managed to win 6 conference championship in the last 60 years - in the WAC/MWC.

It was a fun fantasy, but now Utah has to face reality. A 2-5 start is now very realistic for the Utes.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Hey UTE fans, we admit it, we stunk, we lost 54-10, we took our lumps but again, one games does not a season make. The fans who continue to post 54-10 are living in the past. All that matters is the future. That game means nothing anymore. We got over it, you need to too. Utah is better than this but again the turnover department will kill you in any game, as some of the Ute haters continue to remind us of. BYU made mistakes, so did Utah but two games in a row is a killer. I hope this doesn't happen again and this is all the beating that Hays needs to move forward. Go BYU and GO UTES.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:40 p.m.

"Ya, but we're in the pac 12"

Listen, ASU isn't the best team. SC isn't the best team. Washington isn't the best team.

Stop pounding your chest about the P12. UCLA is awful. Go get an easy win.

Be glad you don't play Stanford or Oregon. Imagine the massacre.

Also, BYU would love a rematch. I share your despise of turnovers.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:36 p.m.

At least we won't have to listen to any more delusional "Utah smelling Roses" talk until next year.

The Utes will be lucky to qualify for a bowl game this year.

• California Steve Hanford, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:35 p.m.

Ute fan coworkers brought my brother in law turnovers after the BYU game. I think he should rerun the favor on Monday.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:33 p.m.

sammyg,

We offer no excuses. A team that coughs up the ball 5 times with no takeaways on their part will always get beat. Plain and simple.

You should know all about the effects of giving up a lot of turnovers---7 to be exact.

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Tough loss for the Utes who played well enough to win, except for the turnovers. Unfortunately, this what is expected when you're forced to rely on an inexperienced backup quarterback in your most important game of the season.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:32 p.m.

I'm a Cougar fan and actually did think Utah had a shot at the south title this year, but the QB play and turnovers killed it. Sorry guys. My regrets to the poor Y fans who trash talk here. Yes, some Y haters poured it on thick of late, but we can "rise up" beyond their level of sportsmanship. Go Cougars tonight! And good luck to Utah to turn this wreck around and get a bowl appearance.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Now, both BYU and Utah play Oregon St. so we will get a chance to see how well each plays a bona fide PAC 10.2 loser. My guess, BYU will win and Utah will lose.

Utah, did you not learn your lesson at the BYU game? Don't keep giving the ball to the other team. It is how U lose.

Oct. 8, 2011 5:31 p.m.

That's funny how BYU fans rip Ute fans like Chris B for proclaiming a "PAC 12 Championship" yet BYU coaches and players were talking about a national championship in August.

Utah has a long way to go. Five TOs per game won't win a MWC championship let alone a PAC-12 title.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Welcome to the PAC 12 Utah.

That sloppy play that the Utes are used to getting away with against teams like New Mexico and Wyoming doesn't cut it when you're playing the big boys.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:25 p.m.

@BlueSaint 5:21

If the Utes lose one, maybe two more games this year, RES will be half empty by seasons end.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Ute fan I am so over the 54 - 10, there is nothing better than 0-3 and again you might not win again til the end of this month. And that's a maybe. Lol

I am disappointed though I said ASU 44. Utes 10, I was way off! lol

Never to early. Right Chris.

Pitt. 47
    Utes. 7

Lol

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:24 p.m.

@Uteology

Exactly. Inexcusable to leave the position so vulnerable. Recruiter staff was asleep at the wheel.

Hays had one good half and now more experience at the expense of losing a game, a critical one at that.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Fellow Cougar fans, I think we should just be grateful that we have did not play ASU today. The reality is that the U is not as good as they looked against the Y and that the Y has yet to prove itself against quality competition.
    Folks need to cut Hays some slack. He will need some time to grow into the role. The problem, of course, is that the U will not find themselves in the running for the PAC-12 championship by then. Instead, they, like the Y, will have to be satisfied with an invite to a second or third tier bowl game. Good luck to both the Cougars and the Utes moving forward. Expectations are down to a more realistic level now, so sit back fans and enjoy a season not defined by national championship aspirations.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Funny how Ute fans get all sensitive when they lose. I have always said that Utah is overrated as a program, and does not belong in the PAC-10. This is just the beginning of their sad decline into obscurity. It took Utah over 50+ yrs to even win an outright Conference championship, so for Ute fans to even mention 'ROSES' is a joke! Now you get Ute fans calling for 'PAC-10' quality coaches? What a joke! If there is a fanbase more deserving of being humbled, it is Ute fans. The biggest collection of bandwagon fans in the nation!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:16 p.m.

ClarkHippo

"In other words, Ute fans can dish it out but they can't take it, right?"

Enough said!

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:15 p.m.

I'm waiting for the next Dick Harmon article talking about how Utah and BYU are both better than Pac-10 competition. I had to listen to that for years from all of my friends from the great state of Utah (both BYU and Utah fans). Now, once and for all I hope it is clear that the BCS conferences are so much better than the rest. If the old MWC still was around I'm sure Utah would be sitting on top, just like I'm sure Utah is wondering where Wyoming, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Air Force and San Diego State are right about now. Just wait until you hear during this coming week how tough Oregon State is because BYU will play them, but remember they are at the bottom of the Pac-12 north division. Facts is facts!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Dear GoRed

Let's talk turnovers... two games in a row decided by turnovers, Utes setting a trend. Coaches fault or players? Not ready to sit at the 'BIG' table???

Let excuses begin.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:12 p.m.

karma Utah karma

U can thank the turnover fest in Provo for Utah's only PAC 12 debut season highlight.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Oh, and by the start of the 4th quarter the stadium was half empty - like rats abandoning a sinking ship.

• Uteology. SLC, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:11 p.m.

My opinion, most of the blame goes to Coach Whit. Why in the world would this program not have a decent back up QB? C'mon, that is the most important position and you can't even go 2-deep? Shame on you coach.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:10 p.m.

@KKCC 4:51

In other words, Ute fans can dish it out but they can't take it, right?

0-3

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:08 p.m.

Bring back Urban Meyer ... There is no way he would tolerate this type of undisciplined, sloppy football. 10 turnovers in 2 games. Stupid penalties which negate big plays on the offense and defense. Missed tackles. Dropped passes. Beating a Big Sky opponent and an awful BYU team is nothing to be proud of Ute fans.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:07 p.m.

@A1994 4:45

Point well taken. The only problem is, ever since Utah joined the PAC 12, Ute fans like Chris B have been going on and on and on about how the Utes would dominate the PAC 12 and play again in a BCS bowl.

Ute fans have continued to say:

"Mark it down."

"Write it down."

"We're making our call. We're playing for the PAC 12 Championship and for the National Championship."

Kudos to Ute fans for being gutsy enough to make such bold predictions. But when your team doesn't live up to the hype, you better expect Cougar fans, as well as other college football fans to call you on it.

And for those of you continuing to shout "54-10" here's another number for you.

0-3

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Its like the Cougars infected the Utes with turnover funk.
    Need some serious detox.

• jw_bluecoug SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:01 p.m.

ute fans are absolutely right about
    making the pac 10.5 championship.. NOT!!

hey utes, the mwc is definitely interested
    in having you back.

looks like we have another "replacement" for
    "washington st."

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Lifelong Ute

ASU has to play Oregon, which means as long as we take care of business today we control our destiny to the Pac 12 championship game because we hold the tiebreaker over ASU."

Delusional BYU fans don't hold a candle to delusional Utah fans.

Try winning a PAC 12 game, before declaring yourselves PAC 12 champions.

• BamaFan Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:59 p.m.

FEAR THE FORK..

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Come on, BYU fans. You don't have any room to talk.

54-10.

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Sorry for the U. It's not looking good so far.

Welcome to big time football. BYU ain't ready for it either.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:54 p.m.

"I've said it for the last couple weeks - this team is STILL going to play in the Pac 12 championship! .... as long as we take care of business today we control our destiny to the Pac 12 championship game because we hold the tiebreaker over ASU. I love the fire I see so far in the guys today. Hayes is going to be better than people thought."

Lifelong Ute 2:22pm: - which year are your utes going to play in the pac whatever championship?? You homers are hilarious. Welcome to reality. 0-3. How's it working out for you so far?

At least next week's loss won't be a conference loss.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:54 p.m.

I don't comment on Utah articles often, and when I do I keep it objective. Today's question:

How does it feel having the type of game BYU had against Utah? Do you feel that what you saw today is "typical" of Utah? If so, how do you justify Utah's win against BYU to be due to Utah's skill rather than BYU's misfortune in turnovers?

Although it's nice to see some Ute fans/BYU haters get a taste of their own medicine, it is unfortunate to see Utah do so poorly. ASU will be playing in the PAC championship game.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Chris B

"Pac 12 champs. Enough said. Its happening."

PAC 12 turnover champs? cellar dweller champs? winless champs?

Enough said. It's happening!

• PAC 10.2 Doormat Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:52 p.m.

@sportsfanforlife

Hilarious was all the predictions that in the first season the Utes were going to win the South Division, go to the Rose Bowl, etc.

Now it's very questionable that the Utes can qualify for ANY bowl game at this rate.

Now let's all ridicule BYU for winning their come from behind game last week. A win might be lucky and it might be ugly but in the end it's better than what happened today and last weekend in RES.

0-3 oh the hurt, feel the pain as 54-10 oftens shares.

• KKCC UTAH, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Wow! BYU fans... get a life! How funny that you are so obsessed with the Utes that you have to comment??? You do remember when you played Utah right? What was the score??? And barely squeaked by the Aggies on a lucky play?

As for Utah, the TO's are killing us each week! I'm not impressed with the play calling.. Let's change it up a little!

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:51 p.m.

While the Utes started off good, they imploded. The offensive line needs help, they can't protect or open a hole for White. Our defense is good, not great. I like Sitake, but Whittingham needs to take over the DC duties or hire someone else to be defensive coordinator. We need a shut down defense, not a Swiss cheese defense. Offense didn't help any by turning the ball over, but the defense didn't exactly shutdown anything. All the Pac-12 teams Utah has played as marched right down the field. How is they can do that on us but we can do that on them??? I see what I see and it is not pretty. Go UTES!

Oct. 8, 2011 4:50 p.m.

Duckhunter
    I really thought utah played about as well as they are capable of playing. Kudos.

------------

10 turnovers in 2 games is the best Utah can play? That's playing like... well like your BYU team.

Utah's offense right now is really horrible. At this rate we'll be lucky to finish 6-6. I had us going 8-4, but as of toady I'll take a 7-5 season.

Regardless, we have a long way to go before we can compete at this level week in week out.

Go UTES!

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:48 p.m.

sammyg, Duckhunter, and Pac 12 doormat,

You all have a lot of nerve coming onto your rival's comments board after they drilled you at your own place.

54-10.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Tough break, Utes, but next week's game @ Pitt could be a nice place to turn a corner and make a statement. Hopefully the team can quickly get over the turnover bug that they caught from BYU.

• armchairQBonthehill Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Time for Tyler Shreeve or even switch Griff Robles back from defense. We'd be right in this thing without the John Hays turnovers . . and we'd have a chance to beat the Sun Devils . . win the PAC 12 South . . . and win the Championship over the PAC 12 representatives (either Stanford or Oregon. Oh well so much for going to a BCS bowl.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:47 p.m.

Ute fans: In fairness to the Utes they are playing a more complete game today, then they did last week. ASU has a much better team than Washington. You have a new QB and had only a week to prepare. I hope your team gets control of their turnover issues.

Coug Fans: Show some class and lay off the Utes. This year's BYU team has yet to prove itself. I don't think our Cougars would be doing much better. I do understand the razing of "Chris B." He deserves it.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:46 p.m.

-5 in the turnovers. Have to correct that! The most important thing is to take care of the ball. All of them cost the Utes dearly.

I thought mid way through the third that this was Utah's game.

Turnovers. Sheez!

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Exciting for almost 3 quarters against a very legitimate ASU team but the wheels fell off with the three consecutive turnovers. Hays made some mistakes but showed some good stuff as well. I expect Utah will build from the good and learn from the bad. Looking forward to a great game at Heinz field next week!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:45 p.m.

BYU fans ought to keep snide comments to themselves.

1) Utah beat BYU at home by 44 points.
    2) BYU lost to Texas by one point...and Texas just lost to OU 55-17
    3) BYU beat USU on a LUCKY fluke of a deflected pass.

I don't like Utah, but there is no room for any BYU fan to talk this year. BYU has a terrible team. The sad thing is that they will probably win a bunch of their games now that they are play weak teams. People will almost certainly start talking about deserving to be in a better bowl game.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:44 p.m.

well sport4life check back at 9:00 and ready all the utes commenting then

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Hey Ute fans, you have two things to shout about. 54-10 and 0-3. Do you think that the last one is going to get you anywhere?

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:44 p.m.

This Utah offense is making me sick, 3 turnovers in 7 plays in one of the worst stats I've ever heard. I don't think Utah can win a game in the pac 12 with Hays at QB, he is awful.

Pathetic!

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:44 p.m.

It's Official - Utes don't belong - cellar dwellers. Welcome to life with your cougar band of brothers.

Oct. 8, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Wow, our offense is really, really bad. 10 turnovers in 2 games, just sloppy!

Hats off to another PAC-12 team coming in our house and schooling us.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Well Chris B, I love it when you mark it down.

Too bad for the UTES, now they know how BYU feels. Turnovers like that will never win a game, that's got to really hurt. But, like eagle said, you beat us so it will make you feel better in the end. Hay's just tried too hard. I do like his spirit though, he is going to do well.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:40 p.m.

its hilarious getting on these boards and seeing all the byu fans after barely getting by usu on some luck last minute plays having to talk trash through other teams cause their team is horrible and got smacked by utah LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:40 p.m.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:40 p.m.

PAC 10 Champs? I'm pretty sure that you mis typed that with an a when you should have used a U!

• Mr. Omniscient Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:37 p.m.

I predict...um....predict.....um.....it's coming......Utah will not be in the Pac-12 championship....Chris B...your thoughts?

• Juggernaut Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:34 p.m.

To do this one game like last week is one thing, but two games in a row is UNNACCEPTABLE. Especially the two fumbles in the third, the interceptions sucked don't get me wrong, but the two fumbles. These were two winnable games. Byu fans, have fun, I am not backing up utah this week, the defense yes, but the offense, no way. They need to apologize to the fans.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Pretty sure the score would be similar even if Wynn was in there. Utah is not that good this year. Better than BYU, obviously. I just wish USU got a chance to play Utah this year.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Hey, Chris B, what does enough said mean? I think I know now, but what did you mean when you made that statement?

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Lifelong Ute, just a quick question. Are you still going to be at the Pac 12 championship game? If so, who are you going to be pulling for?

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Going 1-7 in conference will be acceptable as long as the Utes beat BYU, right?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Has the stadium emptied yet at 35-14?

I don't think the boys at ESPN 700 have the heart to mention it.

• nairbnosral American Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:16 p.m.

35-14. Enough said.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:15 p.m.

I thought you had to win at least 1 game to play for the Pac-12 championship

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:15 p.m.

And another ASU td. LOL!

• nairbnosral American Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:13 p.m.

I'm really sorry, Utes, but I just can't stop laughing.

Pac-12 South champs? Ha!

• PAC 10.2 Doormat Springville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Well Hays had his moments but there's only so much an inexperienced jc qb can do.

Ouch, looks like it will be 0-3 and back to the all too familiar fetal position for UteNation. When was the last time the Utes started conference play 0-3?

Cheer up Utes, after wallowing in your sorrow and after a good meal you can settle back and watch the coming out party for Riley Nelson.

• LovemesomeCougars LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:10 p.m.

ChrisB- enough said

LOL!

Hays has 3 picks, but it should be seven. ASU's DBs have dropped at least 3 interceptions.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Another turnover. LOL!

• LovemesomeCougars LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:07 p.m.

Lifelong Ute- Playing for a PAC championship

We all thought Cougar fans were dellusional.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:06 p.m.

The fumble with 4 minutes and then an interception with 2 mins. left in the third quarter is killing the Utes. They are playing very well, but still they aren't protecting the ball.

The Utes are proving yet again that a team from Utah can not beat anyone from the PAC-12 if they have four or more turnovers.

Wish you guys the best, but this game stared well, but turning out to be more disappointing than USU's loss to Auburn, or BYU's loss to your Utes. You have the best overall defense in the State, but your offense is killing them.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 4:01 p.m.

Hey Chris B, after the game you can go to Arby's and get some free turnovers:) From the looks of it, they'll be giving out free ones for weeks to come.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Pac 12 champs. Enough said. Its happening.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Utah better beat this mediocre ASU squad.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Just down by three after two interceptions. I like our chances. We got this! Utah 24 asu 20!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Lovemesome, it isn't delusional if the Utes pull this one out because the Pac South is very, very weak as is Washington State.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 8, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Not a bad half. The interceptions hurt but they are moving the ball and the defense looks good. Come on Kyle get them riled up at halftime.

• LovemesomeCougars LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Lifelong Ute- Playing for a PAC championship

We all thought Cougar fans were dellusional.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2011 2:22 p.m.

ASU has to play Oregon, which means as long as we take care of business today we control our destiny to the Pac 12 championship game because we hold the tiebreaker over ASU. I love the fire I see so far in the guys today. Hayes is going to be better than people thought.

Oregon vs. Utah Inaugural Pac 12 chamionship game!

I'll be there. Will U?

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Oct. 8, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Looks like the Utes came ready to play. I wish my team could do that.