Sports

BYU football: There's a lot on the line as cougars weigh QB decision

Comments

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 7, 2011 4:42 p.m.

If Bronco shows up to the game with surrounded by riot police, you'll know who's starting.

• Albert Saint George, UT
    Oct. 7, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I just need to know who is going to start so I can finish my Grid Picks !

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Who else noticed how puny and weak Heaps looked standing next to Lark on the sideline? Even with his helmet on and Lark only in a ball cap he looked like a little boy; narrow shoulders, tubular, weak arms and pencil neck. Hit the weights already!
    Can't blame the editor for cutting Lark out of the picture in blue, home jerseys, Heaps in front and Riley back left. Lark is also in that picture in the back right with his sleeves rolled up making the boy look...well, like a boy.

• Bruzzer Ogden, UT
    Oct. 7, 2011 5:43 a.m.

Doman future might hinge on who starts all the fans want to see is wins period Bronco wont go down alone

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 7, 2011 1:03 a.m.

I just have to wonder if putting Riley in the game vs. Utah State was the smartest move? Seriously, that move crushed the tiny confidence that Heaps may have had left and created a huge QB controversy. Had they let Heaps finish the game, a win still might have happened and the rest of the season schedule is weak enough that Heaps would have been on his way to posting some numbers and winning back some of the Provo fans who boo him. But the coaches did this, and I don't think it is going to turn out well, no matter which player becomes the chosen one. This was poor coaching, pulling the plug with a quarter or two of football left, before the season ahead appeared to be much easier with success on the horizon against very weak opponents.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2011 12:27 a.m.

Riley, Riley, Riley that was the battle cry Friday night and it is still correct.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2011 12:14 a.m.

How come Heaps is the #2 choice ? I say Riley then Lark . Sit Heaps down behind Munns that should be the proper order of things.

Did anyone get the video of Heaps post practice interview last night. " I don't know why I was pilled " was his answer to the question why did you get pulled Jake, " Crickets " was his answer to What do you think you can do to improve your game, and my favorite " No " when he answered the question " If he could learn anything from his team mates specifically the WR and the other QB's.

The right answer : I am 113 in the D1 qb rankings, I have 3 touch downs to date, I am scared in the pocket any of these are correct.

The right answer: Finish drives, create when play breaks down i.e. get to the correct progression and take it, Get in the end zone more then once a game.

The right answer: Yes I can learn from everyone especially my team mates.

Arrogance and he is only 19, potential, the future I doubt it.

• Right or Wrong Happy Valley, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2011 10:52 p.m.

So many comments from those that understand little. Football is both a physical, as well as a mental game. Physically Heaps is struggling big time and it shows,mentally it's worse.

The team as a whole seems (from a distant) seems to support Riley Nelson as the QB, to go against the flow will be disastrous, Riley is the only choice the coaching staff has. The competition (SJS) isn't the issue, the problem will be from the team. It isn't a mutiny that's the concern but the morale. The team believes in only one of the QB's.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Of course, it will be Jake starting the game on Saturday. The only way that would not happen, is if he messes up big time in practice this week. But I don't see that happening. I think BYU is due to have a breakout game, with Heaps showing all of his detractors why he was rated the #1 HS football player in the nation as a senior. I wouldn't be surprised if the score ended up very similar to the Utah-BYU game a couple of weeks ago, only with BYU on the winning end.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Heaps.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:17 p.m.

Didn't Bronco say he made a mistake last year by doing the dual qb system. Is he going to repeat the same mistake?

• eljefeBYUfan Denver, CO
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Heaps . . .

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:26 p.m.

tantheman

You make a really good point about Nelson brining energy and the hope that the benching will help Heaps come out of it. I say start Heaps again and replace him if he can't get it done. Don't wait til the second half if it is clear that he just doesn't have it again.

The odds are good that the team will perform well against the San Jose State team. Though SJS will offer some resistence if he does not have it. This is a team that can beat BYU if it plays poorly and cannot beat BYU if BYU plays well. The game will be decided by BYU either way.

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Heaps performance to date has been just plain bad.
    1. He over-reacts to pressure and misses open receivers by unacceptable and unbelievable distances.
    2. He over-reacts to blitzes and makes mistakes in his reads resulting in incomplete passes at best, sacks or turnovers at worst.
    3. He has no touch on his passes making them very hard to catch even when they are within reach.
    4. He puts the ball in places that slow the receiver making additional yardage uncommon, even when they catch the poor passes.
    5. He is unloading the long passes and missing open receivers by as many as 10 yards.
    6. He is making passes to receivers who are covered by as many as three defenders - he seems to have made the decision to pass without even looking at the defense.

These are all indications of a player with low or no confidence. Ability is not questioned based on his performance last year and in his high school years. Whatever is needed to instill confidence should drive the decision. He has to know their is accountability for poor performance and that he will come out if can't perform, but play him til then.

• CaptainFD LITTLETON, CO
    Oct. 6, 2011 6:50 p.m.

This is actually good for business...in Utah at least. I have been turned of by BYU football as of late but this is kind-of exciting to have a QB battle again. I am interested in the outcome.

WHY? I have always thought Jake was too much hype and was concerned with his attitude and need to have his own PR and press conferences causing the current unfortunate circumstance Jake really isn't living up to his "mouth". Same really goes for Mendenhall and his excuses and "fireside coaching". Riley Nelson took a "win win" situation and made it his by engineering a great comeback against USU.

Now all of these elements are merging at the same time and lasting decisions and repercussions will be made in this week's decision and ultimate gameplay.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 5:43 p.m.

re:USAlover

HA!! Your post is really true and funny!! I agree totally!!

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 5:31 p.m.

@ Utes R GrAte + So Cal Reader

The invite from the Big XII to BYU has been on the table for weeks, but is still pending BYU's rebroadcasting rights. BYU is coveted by the Big XII. TCU is a good acquisition as well and the addition of both BYU and TCU will make the conference even better.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 5:07 p.m.

What's on the line, Call? A WAC championship? Oh wait, I thought BYU was WAC from the looks of their schedule, but they are Independent...

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 4:57 p.m.

@Lane Myer: I'll bet you were one of the student spies that pulled folks out of finals. Go have a coke, grow your moustache, and watch a PG13 movie. :) At least Riley wasn't dropping F bombs on national TV! Why do we focus on a kid's hair length when so many other things are more important...like character and courage and leadership and class?

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 6, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Re: Ute's R Gr8 |"ESPN asked Dick Harmon, his thoughts about Utah joining the PAC 12, his response; Utah was invited because they are not BYU." Granted, I'm not of your "persuasion"; however, consider the source, my friend. Consider the source.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 6, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Doman's the problem.

He's the reason why the QB and receivers aren't connecting; the reason why the running game is horrible; and, its all because, as he said "is still learning."

Get off the QB's people. No one will succeed under doman's system.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Oct. 6, 2011 1:51 p.m.

Of the 120 Division 1 schools, Heaps has the 109th best Quarterback rating. It's time to move on and let Nelson have the reins. He brings more heart and desire to the team than Heaps does. There's no possible way that the Cougs would have won with Heaps in the entire game against Utah State.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 6, 2011 1:36 p.m.

As far as Riley's "long hair":

Pretty trivial if you ask me - to keep harping on this.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say that the Monday he went to get his hair cut, the barber was gone and Riley forgot about Monday barber schedule.

I say wait until after San Jose State - the continued comments will be too funny.

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Elcapitan | 12:39 p.m. Oct. 6, 2011
    Ivins, UT
    Do I see Riley's pants falling off...his belly button is off limits? Maybe, as one coach put it, give me the talent first, I can develop character later. Come on Riley, pull up your pants.

----------------

And cut your hair!

I went to BYU and I have seen students pulled out of finals because their hair was over their collar. Why is Riley allowed to go to school with long hair and allowed to play in front of the world when he is not up to BYU standards?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 12:39 p.m.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Never start mediocraty when looking at the rest of the season please. that is no way to run any team unless you live next door to the kids mother. This is college sports on ESPN and BYU's reputation is at stake. Play the winning quarterback please. Heaps has got some shaping up to do to regain his position.

• Ute's R Gr8 Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2011 12:09 p.m.

ESPN asked Dick Harmon, his thoughts about Utah joining the PAC 12, his response; Utah was invited because they are not BYU. So does that mean that TCU was invited to the BIG 12 because they are not BYU?

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Dear Dustman. I am not impressed with Doman up to this point, but one big factor you failed to think about is that Anae had been a play caller for several years before he came to BYU. I have not researched how effective Anae was at his previous school. Doman may have a steeper learning curve right now with a untested QB. I hope he can climb it faster.

As an armchair QB who does not watch daily practices and is not on the sidelines or in the booth, I think we need to start Riley. I was impressed with his maturity. However, it was pure luck on the final touchdown. Maybe they practice that, but it was still pure luck that Matthews was in the exact spot he needed to be.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 6, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Re: plyxply "how can people actually still come on here and say Heaps gives the Cougars the best chance against top quality teams?" Thank you for supporting my point of staying with Heaps. Other than TCU and Hawaii (at the Island), our Cougs don't play any more "top quality teams." Period. Now's not the time to replace your QB & entire offensive scheme (from pass 1st, to run 1st, 2nd & 3rd). You don't make that monumental switch in the middle of a season when you're getting ready to face these Betty Crocker-type of teams.

• WisCoug MOUNT HOREB, WI
    Oct. 6, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Nelson was the beneficiary of improved play from every offensive skill player on the team. Hoffman made a diving, one-handed catch. The running backs came to life. Jacobson held on to Nelson's heave after dropping multiple in the game (at least one that basically hit him in the chest). I think the team should be thinking about the effort of the players around Heaps when he is in the game.

Nelson is a scrappy guy who will obviously give everything for the team, but he doesn't have the arm to be a deep threat. Let Heaps lead the team down the field and when they reach the part of the field where he has struggled mightily (and where you don't need to go deep) put in Nelson. Think Lark/Tebow from 2006. Also, make him the holder on field goals. He clearly deserves more time, but in a Heaps-style offense he will struggle against good teams.

I think that we beat SJSU, OSU, and Idaho State with either QB, but that we will not beat TCU without a guy who can go deep (something they have shown some susceptibility to) and Heaps needs some confidence building games.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2011 10:59 a.m.

I really don't think Heaps' problem is fixed by more game experience. It's whether he can learn to put TOUCH on balls and have the PATIENCE to read through his progressions.

He has the physical skills, just not the mental ones (yet). I don't see where game time versus weaker defenses will help him to progress in this. He did fine against weaker defenses last year, but faltered versus the better defenses so far this year.

Jake needs some "tough love" in practice to learn patience (getting hit when you throw because you're making the correct reads) to discover that it doesn't hurt so much as he thinks, and to put some touch on passes where his man is past the defender.

The shock of getting pulled in the last game might help him to work on those things. Who knows?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 6, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Wake up, Nelson is not that fast, Usu made him look good. Usu are 4th quarter chokes and BYU got luck. Nelson got rag dolled by the Utes, a much faster defense. Nelson will get hurt again, this isn't high school ball where linebacker are mid sized men. Heaps at least attempts to run the lays designed. Nelson is doing to domain what domain did to crowton, that is wht domain supports heaps,

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 10:23 a.m.

how can people actually still come on here and say Heaps gives the Cougars the best chance against top quality teams? What games have you been watching? Can you possibly think for yourselves or are you still believing all the hype? No wonder people make fun of Cougar fans so easily, nobody who understands the game can possibly believe Heaps is still capable of leading a team to victory, not even his teammates have his back. Get with it folks, cut your losses and move on, you've got plenty of talent waiting, they can't possibly be worse than Heaps.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Don't expect Bronco to tell anybody until game time. And then, he'll take 10 minutes expounding why he made the decision he made and it's implications on Eternal Life and poverty in Africa and how he enjoys being a mission president/football coach.

• Ballfan6 AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Maybe if Jake does have a little less confidence he will hesitate for just a second. Maybe that's what he needs to finally wait that extra second for the reciever to break open.

• 7dawg Norman, OK
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:54 a.m.

How's Ben Olsen with all his potential doing these days?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:41 a.m.

If I were Heaps I would be making some phone calls and look to transfer. Heaps is way to talented to be on the bench behind Nelson. I really have no idea how Nelson even made the team other than his running ability. The problem with playing Nelson is you start a running - Air Force style QB - in a passing BYU system. This will never work and it pains me to see Bronco doing this silly experiment. At the end of the day you are going to have Jake Heaps with less confidence going forward which is not what you want with your supposed future QB. So what if you start Nelson and beat San Jose State with more rushing yards than passing. Try that against TCU and see what happens. Jake Heaps at least gives BYU the chance to compete against top 20 teams. Benching Heaps is a BIG step back for the program but Bronco seems like he has trouble making "head coach" type decisions anymore.

• Ballfan6 AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I am not a big Heaps fan, but i do think you need to start him. But I also think Riley needs to see a lot more time. Neither of the two have both the running and passing ability. But together they can hurt a defense. I think when Riley does go in, it will help take pressure off Heaps. I really hope he becomes coachable and learnes from Riley. Somehow Jake needs to become tough and not scared to take a hit. Learn to go at someone. Riley isn't scared and he likes to go at people and get a couple extra yards. Riley is exactly what Jake needs. Lets just hope they can rub off on eachother a little. Then we can expect some good things.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Read what Mendenhall said about him looking at the big picture and what is best for the program in the long run. Mendenhall is going with Heaps and I think Heaps is the best bet. Yes, Riley has heart and I love to see him play but his 2 best plays were lucky - the 40 yard pass could have gone either way and the touchdown pass was wobbly and behind the receiver. Bring Riley in on 3rd when you will also go for it on 4th. Bring Riley in to mix it up and confuse the defense.

@bleedred - BYU is one of the only athletic programs in the nation to make money last year. BYU already has great facilities and they are making a lot more money this year. They may not get into the Big 12, they may refuse and invite, either way, money is not the big issue.

Heaps may not be the answer but he is BYU's only chance at being great.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 9:10 a.m.

any other head coach worth his salary would've made the choice already but just like last year Roscoe can't make a tough decision and it will ultimately hurt his team.
    I've been saying this for two years, the players on the team don't have near the respect for Heaps that they have for Nelson, and it was obvious on Friday that was the case. What makes it so hard for the coaches to choose is beyond me but it will once again turn into a circus and will hurt the team.
    Stop treating Heaps like he's earned anything, he can't move the offense or complete passes in a game, put him on the bench where he's earned a spot.

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Max Was Wrong; FYI, I am a Y grad, proud of it. But I call things as I see them. The past years decisions in Utah County have been less than intelligent. Decisions like the QB issue, all have been decided by emotion. We should have stayed in the Mt West and watch things work out. At least a decent bowl game to work for at season end and not this Helicopter Bowl deal. Believe me I'm sure the Ute fans are enjoying their PAC 12 all the way to the bank ( I hear it every day.) They're going to burry us with financial resources for their team in the future, if we dont start making the correct choices. We are digging our own hole. Should have stayed in the Mt. West and waited for the BIG 12. And started the right Q at the beginning of the season, Riley.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:24 a.m.

This is not a hard choice. Anyone who has watched every game this season knows the answer. Riley is the answer. Heaps is not a leader and isn't as good of a QB right now. I hope this controversy is to keep the opposing team guessing and not really the coaches not being able to choose.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Forget it folks! I'll start.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:18 a.m.

spartanman;
    If BYU had kept the ball enough to score 41 in the Utah game, Utah would not have scored 54 and would likely have lost. I am happy to see a Ute fan finally admitting that BYU beat themselves in that game and with only 1 or 2 turnovers, would have won that game.

I don't see what the big qb controversy is. Ride the Nelson energy wave until is isn't working. When BYU is ahead by more than 10 pts at halftime, put Heaps in. If the offense stalls with Riley for more than 2 drives, put Heaps in. if BYU is behind at halftime, put Heaps in.
    There is no way Jake Heaps can be surprised if he does not start Saturday. It is easy to see that he is struggling with taking his lumps from his poor performance and being pulled. The worst has happened; maybe he can settle down now and play like we all think he can. If he does not start and throws a tantrum, move him to 4th string and let Lark play some. He will get the hint and will either transfer or pull his head out by next Fall.

• tantheman Lindon, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Here is the thing. I don't want to be a jerk and give up on Heaps, but I understand that he is not performing. Not only is he not performing, but whenever he is on the field the players around him don't either. They have lost confidence in him.

I would say that Riley had a lucky drive that just happened, but then you need to look at the mentality. When Heaps was on the sideline looking like he was gonna cry, Nelson brought in a much needed energy, and brought that intensity to the rest of the team as well.

I say start Heaps and see if he learned anything from this at all, and if he does not complete around 60% of his passes and actually take a hit or two for the team, then put Riley in quick. (No later than the second half.)

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Doman's focus this week is to prepare both quarterbacks "as if both were going to play this game, then let the head football coach make that decision. That's part of being the head coach he gets to do that and I'll support whatever decision he makes."

'Because if I don't support him, I'll never have a job in D-1 ball again, since my golden boy has regressed and the offense I call has no productivity or consistency and I would be laughed out of the building if I said my offense is "creative" in front of a Boise State crowd.'

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:51 a.m.

" ...Mendenhall also pointed out the advantages of a running quarterback,

... It just gives you a different element," Mendenhall said of a QB that can make plays with his feet. "It doesn't mean one is better or worse. They're just different styles."

Right - and I prefer the "style" that put up the "W" last Friday night. I start Nelson. Heaps can buck up and be "the team player".

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:40 a.m.

BYU wanted a novice OC and QB coach. This is the result.

The team won against USU. Riley's presence provided the spark, but his skills didn't win the game.

Riley was splitting time with Heaps last year, and his aggressive play got him hurt. How fast will he get hurt if he's the full-time QB?

The problem isn't the QB spot, its the entire offense. You have a line that can't block, running backs that can't run, and QB's that either can't get the ball to the receivers, or receivers that can't hang onto the ball.

The one thing in common between them all is Doman. Doman is putting the plays together. He designs the plays. He calls the plays. He's the one telling the players what and how to do things. News flash, Doman isn't a very good coach. Anae did better than him, as predictable as he was. Doman said he's still learning.
    Get off Heaps and Riley. The entire offense is struggling. Shoot, even our Defense is having trouble with the run.

• spartaman Sandy, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:22 a.m.

max was right: 54 - 10 'nuff said

start riley. maybe we would have only lost 54-41 with riley.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 6, 2011 7:09 a.m.

I really think this much to do about nothing. I can understand the "gamesmanship" if we were getting ready to play Texas, TCU, Utah, etc., but those games & teams are behind us. This is San Jose State, all 2-3 of them. The call has to be with Heaps. This is the part of the Cougs schedule that SHOULD allow Jake to unwind and be the offensive player we know he can be, and what he showed the latter part of last year. What I don't like is the quote from Doman: "(His) focus this week is to prepare both quarterbacks as if both were going to play this game, then let the head football coach make that decision. That's part of being the head coach he gets to do that and I'll support whatever decision he makes." That statement sounds as personally ambiguous as what Bronco has been saying. I'm very disappointed by Jake's play, but I believe he's the current QB, once he gets Doman's offense unraveled, that has the most long-standing upside. Let's go, Cougs!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 6, 2011 6:52 a.m.

This is easy.

1. Move Riley to running back who has the option to pass.
    2. Leave Jake in as starting QB.
    3. Train the center to snap the ball to either Jake or Riley.

The way the ball was snapped against Utah, we need Riley standing just to the right of Jake so he can take the rare errant snap and go with it.

This is a different sort of two headed QB monster, but one that could be interesting. I don't think that it has ever been tried, perhaps for good reason.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Oct. 6, 2011 6:23 a.m.

I've seen this movie before. Typically they wait a few years to do a remake. At the very least BYU is going up against a soft spot in the schedule, so whoever plays QB will have an opportunity to look like a Heisman candidate. Well, at least a Div. I starting QB.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Lark or Munns! It's time to build for the future!

• 1Infidel APO, AE
    Oct. 6, 2011 5:19 a.m.

It is somewhat apparent that Jake can't read defenses, is scared of being hit, or has no idea what he is doing as he slowly approaches the line of scrimmage.

On the other hand, Nelson can run a no-huddle offense, and appears to be eager to go with each play. He apparently instills confidence with his pace.

There are other observations - the O line has taken on an whole new blocking scheme this year, and doesn't have the personnel or experience to make run-blocking work very well. The QB situation with drive-killing incompetions, false starts, and subseqent wasting of time outs too early in the game is inhibiting using the pass to set up the run.

The team and school does not exist to develop Jake Heaps. If he cannot read, is too jittery to stand and deliver, with touch and a passion for completing the passes (instead of looking good in throwing them) then he should sit. He says he "will learn" from the games - specifics, goals, progress? Play to win.

If Jake develops, we might get a solid season by 2013. Don't inhibit the team's success for one guy with potential. Effective guy should lead.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 1:47 a.m.

We all have our opinions and mine, after some thought is to start Heaps.

However, I am not the coach and neither are any of you. All the griping is not going to change a darn thing except to crank up your stress level. I say we let the coaches do their job and watch some football.

• Give Me A Break Pullman, WA
    Oct. 6, 2011 12:17 a.m.

Lets really surprise the San Jose team by starting Lark.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2011 11:15 p.m.

By Saturday can Heaps learn:

1. To put touch on passes when needed?

2. Make his reads without fear of getting pounded?

If not, start Nelson. Then put Heaps in if Nelson fails.

Or Lark? Seemed to do well in Fall Camp.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:58 p.m.

It's a no-brainer. Start Heaps. The tough part is over. Heaps can live up to his legend against the talent level remaining on the schedule.

• ATC Stockton, CA
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:18 p.m.

I love the people calling for Bronco to make a decision already, one the more time to think this through the better, but the main reason is to make SJSU keep guessing about the quarterback and have to prepare for both. It wouldn't surprise me if they had already decided but are just putting off announcing it strategically. I don't think it matters right now, if Heaps is starting we will be able to see if this pressure on him will cause him to have a break out game, or shrink under the pressure. If it is Nelson we get to see if he can actually sit in the pocket and make the throws when a defense is prepared for him. Can't wait until Saturday's game.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:01 p.m.

One good thing about the coaches not announcing the starting QB, SJSU won't know which QB to prepare for.

I'd say start Heaps when he can throw a pass that requires some touch (Hoffman's TD from Riley for example), and when he can make a completion >20 yards.

Until then I'd pick Riley.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Wow, get on with it! I mean, c'mon, be a leader, be decisive, and make a decision. You don't worry about hurting feelings and individual development. This is the ultimate team game and no one player is above the team.

The real question is, will Doman be able to put a plan together and call some plays that will keep the defense off balance and utilize the strengths of the players.

Let's go! Make a decision and make it happen!

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:29 p.m.

"You guys are hilarious."

whats funny is the ute fan who has already jumped their ship and is now trolling the BYU article again. I thought you left us in the dust?

By the way, hows that pac ten working out for you now?

• Mr. Obvious Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2011 8:50 p.m.

Geeeez I question if there is intelligent life in Utah County.
    This is a no brainer. Answer; The Q that won the game!
    You guys are hilarious.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 5, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Reading between the lines, here, I think Doman is still backing Heaps and Bronco favors Nelson for this Saturday. This is one of the not-so-fun parts of being a coach.

I am sure that what the coaches see in practice is quite different than what they see in a game. There are practice players and there are game players. The ones who step up and shine under the lights are the ones you want starting.