Sports

Analysis: Agreement helps bolster stability of Big 12

Comments

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Oct. 9, 2011 12:25 a.m.

BYU fans should really be quiet about "exposure" and Google searches and TV contracts and all that.

Winning is the only thing that counts, and independence, so far, has them taking them a step backward. BYU used to play MWC opponents, now they play the WAC teams.

The tide is turning with the alumni, esp. those who don't live in Utah. About the only thing that will them back is (a) Bronco being set free and (b) BYU joining a conference, any conference.

(BYU grad)

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 6, 2011 6:48 p.m.

@Bluto

Your post makes little sense. All you do is talk again of school colors (what's the relevancy with that?), "libs" (yes, Utah and the Pac 12 are more liberal than BYU), and what exactly is "err" that you use repeatedly? Are you confusing this comment board with trying to be on the Jim Rome show? Either way, it falls short of being effective.

Yes, the whole world knows that the BYU stadium hold 62,000 people. But what good is that when 50,000 of those desert their team half way through the game against their bitter rival?

And playing on ESPN? I already addressed that. You are using Boise State's argument. Playing on a larger network means nothing, especially if you get embarrassed, like the Utah 54 BYU 10 game.

As far as Utah's TV deal is concerned, the Root station is the same station as FSN that the Jazz play on. However, it reaches to all of the schools in the Pac 12 area, which is good enough for all of the Pac 12 teams.

Really, I've written coherently and made sense.

The question is, is that really the best that you can do?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 4:19 p.m.

@GoRed

No, BYU Blue is a "Patented Pantone Color". As is BYU Tan.
    It's not Navy. Navy is closer to black.
    And btw, Utah St. took their color from "Navy"!

And coming soon to RES...

The Running errr Utes errr Red Tailed err Hawks errr dressed in their Crimson err Nebraska-Red err and black? (How did that get in here).. err Uniforms.

They'll be playing the Team named after Leland Stanfords son, formerly the Indians errr (too generic, no Chief to grant a special dispensation) now the Cardinal (color) errr as to not offend the birds and thier errr Mascot?
    A Tree? As to not offend any animals?

Oh yea, Utah, you are finally home. The land of libs and PC.
    Enjoy!

Wait until it dawns on the Stanford Band that the U of U was founded by Brigham Young himself, and there are Mormons everywhere at Utah.

BYU still averages abt. 62k per game and U?
    ESPN National Saturday 8 pm. You mock such a time?
    As the Pac 12 has a Thursday night game for the 3rd week in a row.
    And U? kjzz, root, helloo?

Seriously, is this the best you can do?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 7:44 a.m.

@naval vet

The fact you had to post 3 unhinged replies to my single post made my day. LOL! You are cracking up. This whole expasion story, and BYU's role in it, is dominating you day and night. I have no doubt you lay awake at night fretting over it.

LOL!

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:57 p.m.

I am impressed with the knowledge that some people here possess. They must have sat in on the meetings with the pac10 and big twelve and currently advising the big 12 on who to ask and not ask.

I will follow them to stay current on where the y is and what to expect.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:31 p.m.

I said months ago that Utah needed a strong first two years or they would become another WSU in the Pac 12. Well they are well on their way to irrelevance. And to all BYU haters, BYU has or will get an invite to the Big 12. If they accept is the question. If they make a north south division in the Big 12, my money is on BYU getting to the conference championship before Utah.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:02 p.m.

@Bluto,

You say: Speaking of Irrelevance... Crimson?
    When will Utah actually incorporate "Crimson" into their Uniforms.

Our answer: When will BYU actually incorporate copper into their official school colors (as their past uniforms have, and as much of their merchandise still has)?

You say: Fire Engine-Nebraska Red and Black doesn't cut it anymore.

Our answer: Neither does USU navy blue.

You say: Utah, you really have finally found your Home.
    Like-Minded Conflicted Libs.

Our comment: And BYU, you have yet to find a home.

You say :Thankfully, the "Nation" tuned out of the Utah/BYU game.

Our answer: Not really. Just the 50,000 BYU fans who left in the 3rd quarter.

You say: We'll see BYU again this week on one of the ESPN networks.

Our comment: You guys are sounding more and more like Boise State every day. You remember them---the team always on ESPN at strange hours, playing only 1 or 2 good teams all year and telling the rest of the world how they deserve to be National Champions.

Join a real conference, and then we'll talk.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Oct. 4, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Portland Trail Blazers said:

"If I'm BYU I would join if an invitation is given, but only for football. Kepp all their other sports in the WCC in case the Big XII does collapse in 2-5 years. But if I doesnt, then eventually move all sports to the Big XII.

XII should also invite TCU, Louisville and Air Force to get to 12. If expansion is to 14, then I think Memphis and Houston would be good fits.

BYU could continue and build its "rivalry" with TCU and build one with Air Force.

PS, hey Ute "fans" how is the Pac 10.2 working out?"

Memphis? Are you kidding! They bring nothing to the table.

PS,Funny how a cougar fan is brining up Utah's Pac 12 experience. It just started. You have nothing but WAC teams as your legacy and zero conference affiliation!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 7:33 p.m.

CoachWinWA:

"If I remember correctly...Utah was about the 6th choice for the expanding PAC 12."

Actually, we were #5 behind (1) Texas, (2) Texas A&M, (3) Oklahoma, and (4) Colorado. Utah was always the more desired school over Tx. Tech and Oklahoma St. Proof is in the fact that without Texas, Tech never receives an invitation; and without Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. has no shot. Tech and State were coattailers, but Utah was a candidate all along. In fact, we were a candidate long before the coattailers tried hitching a ride with the Pac-10's top 3.

If I recall correctly, even Tech and State were more desired than the Y, so I wouldn't go there with "Utah was the booby-prize" talk.

"...you quickly find out the BYU is...the 1st choice to join the BIG12."

Not so. Here is the order of the Big TeX's reported order of preference:

(1) No expansion/remain at 10-teams (Remember? You weren't wanted last summer!), (2) Texas A&M, (3) Notre Dame, (4) Arkansas, (5) protect/rework their $1.1B TV contract/remain viable sans A&M at 9-teams WITH Missouri, (6) other.

You're #6 --> AT BEST!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Well MIZZOU is officially exploring options to leave the Big 12 now. Great! now the conference can bring in a bunch of mid-majors. I can't believe BYU fans would want to be part of a sinking conference. Especially with a bully like Texas acting like they are the alamo and will not give up their TV plans. How will BYUs ESPN deal play into that conference mess? Stay independent for now.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:37 p.m.

@usbummer. Honor, Stability and prowness...you are a little off. Honor should be replaced with hypocrisy, stability should have an disclaimer stating only when on their medication, and prowness is obviously replaced with manipulative.

• usbummer LEESBURG, FL
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:38 p.m.

It is my understanding that the Big 12 will meet tomorrow (Wednesday) to authorize expansion. There is little doubt that very soon thereafter that BYU will be formally invited to join the Big 12 North. As a Big 12 fan I am extremely excited about this development. You will bring honor, stability and prowess to the conference. As to the poster who asked me where I got the idea that there was a rivalry between BYU and Boise State, I must state that I assumed it from the Deseret News that the games had been renewed for the next quarter of a century. A wise Big 12 marketing scheme can market that as a rivalry. I also assumed that a competition that was renewed for that length of time must be a rivalry. Was I mistaken?

• usbummer LEESBURG, FL
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:31 p.m.

For a week-by-week comparison of all football conferences in the United States, ESPN maintains a composite poll of the AP poll and a computerized poll. It is published weekly. I haven't seen it this week, but going into the past weekend's games, the Big 12 was ranked 1st in football followed very closely by the SEC, the PAC was in a group of several other conferences a distant second. You can check it out for yourselves.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:29 p.m.

For all those saying "football only, leave the rest of the sports in the WCC", the Big 12 will not accept that and neither should BYU want it. One of the things that makes the Big 12 such a terrific conference is that they play all sports really well. BYU should want to be part of that. For all saying BYU should stay independent, that is incredibly short-sighted. Most people in the know still believe there will be super-conferences. and if you're not in a BCS conference, there is little chance of getting into the super-conferences. If not in a super-conference, then we might as well shut down sports because the money will dry up - with recruiting problems, scheduling problems, coaches leaving, etc.

BYU will be in the Big 12 next year. Sunday play issue has been dealt with, BYUtv is still good and we keep the money from it (ala the LHN for Texas). Stability has been resolved with the possible exception of Mizzou. I'm not sure how good we'll be in many sports in the first few years but we must go. We're the first new school in.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Counter Intelligence | 1:40 p.m. Oct. 4, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    @1984 for life
    "Why is the Big 12 a BYU story?"

"Is it a U story?"

I don't think it is a story about either BYU or Utah. The PAC 12 will work out for Utah and I believe that BYU will thrive in Independance. That's why I'm asking why this matters until an invitation is offered or accepted.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:21 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence:

Naval Vet is having one of his days...

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."
    William James ['Principles of Psychology', 1890]

Leave him alone in his corner...

• CoachWinWA POULSBO, WA
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:09 p.m.

The reality is that if you search on articles across the country that mention BYU, you quickly find out the BYU is currently one of the more talked about schools because of the speculation they are the 1st choice to join the BIG12.

If I remember correctly, I believe Utah was about the 6th choice for the expanding PAC 12.

BYU will be in the BIG 12 next year, and Utah in the PAC. The only difference between the two schools and their foray into the BCS club will be that BYU demonstrated that it could go independent, broadcast games across the world, and sign their own contract with ESPN. Something Utah could have never done.

For all this talk of "irrelavence" by Utah fans, I think they are wishing that, but deep down they and everyone else knows that at the end of the day, BYU has twice the fan base, will be in a BCS conference, has the upper hand at recruiting in Utah, as well as tapping into the LDS athlete connection across the US, and a better recruiting field in the Texas market.

Things are looking just fine for BYU.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:38 p.m.

@ Duckhunter...go spend sometime looking at which conference has won more football and basketball titles, especially after the realignment. You will lose the argument on facts alone. You lost it long ago by your meritless and profoundly unsound argument.

Please, go and enjoy a wonderful football game in Ames Iowa or Waco Texas...I live in the Midwest, I know what you are in for. My position all along is that if I was BYU, I'd stay indepedent so that you can schedule where you want to play versus having to play in cities that have nothing to do. I prefer to take my family to vacation destinations where they can take part in family fun activities outside of a football/basketball game. I'm assuming you didn't have much of a family life, let alone any fun. Thus, those cities should suit you just fine.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Counter Intelligence:

I could just as easily inquire as to why YOU are so obssessed with ME? But if you REALLY want to know why I love posting on cougar stories, go read my comment over on the "Start Heaps or Nelson? Both plans can work" article on pg. 4, then scroll all the way down to near the bottom at 1:53 pm.

• Outsideview Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:14 p.m.

BYU cant compete in the Big 12. If scheduling can be accomplished they would be far better off staying independant.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:42 p.m.

Truth Seeker:

"Speaking of cupcakes Utah's record in the Pac 12 0-2."

Yes, we are 0-2 vs. teams with an aggregate record of 8-2. You guys were 0-2 vs. teams with a 6-2 record, so I'm not sure which of those 2 Pac-12 opponents you were referring to as cupcakes. And if you were referring to UTAH as the cupcake, all I can say is...

SCOREBOARD!!! 54-10! The teams you beat have an aggregate record of 3-6.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"...naval vet has to hysterically get on here multiple times per day to try and pretend otherwise."

Pretend what? Pretend that the Utes are members of the richest AQ conference in the country? Pretend that our mid-majored, little brother Indy-WACers hadn't received any invitations to join the Big TeX, or any other AQ conference? Ever? Because I'm not pretending. You haven't.

No, I'm afraid that it is Y fans who are the great "hysterical" pretenders. It had been the Y fans who pretended to have a Big TeX invitation already in hand. It had been the Y fans who had pretended to have been invited to join the Big [L]East earlier last summer. It had been the Y fans who have been pretending to have been engaging in super-secret talks with both the Pac-10 and the Big XII for conference membership for nearly 3 DECADES!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:22 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"I find it extremely funny how disconcerting, frankly down right terrifying, the possibility of it is to utah 'fans'. Now you're reduced to 'weather' smack. LOL!"

I'm afraid you have it backwards. It was extremely funny how disconcerting, and frankly, downright terrifying it was for you COUGS to watch the UTES get promoted to the Pac-12 (the very conference you all fantasized about having secret negotiations with ever since the late 1970s) while you wallowed in irrelevant, unwanted obscurity, and publicly REJECTED by every expanding AQ conference in the country. Admit it. You soiled yourselves. And so did Dir. Holmoe when he, in typical frantic and emotional cougar knee jerk reaction, tried to join the WAC. And I have to laugh at you highlighting "completely irrelevant" metrics. YOUR fanbase has been bragging about "attendance" and "numbers of fans listening on the RADIO" for years. Haha! I certainly don't recall ever seeing any of THOSE criteria in measured in BCS Bowl formulae.

L-O-L !!!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:13 p.m.

@ Counter Intelligence | 12:30 p.m. Oct. 4, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

Why is the Big 12 a BYU story? Has there been an invite or an acceptance? Don't think anyone knows for sure.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"The BIG12 is a superior conference to the pac10...if BYU ever becomes a member of that conference there is nothing utah 'fans' like yourself can claim superiority in except one completely irrelevent thing....weather."

What about "SCOREBOARD!!!"? 54-10? How's THAT for superiority Mr. Indy-WACer? Or our 21-yr lead in the overall rivalry? Or our Bowl record; complete with TWO BCS bowls to your never-been-considered. Or our $3 billion TV contract to your $1.1 billion one. So you see? There's PLENTY of examples of Utah superiority.

But look on the bright side my jealous, frantic and emotional little brother. I'm sure you have the superior Haka dancers.

• Truth Seeker Wellsville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Navel Vet:

Speaking of cupcakes Utah's record in the Pac 12 0-2.
    You can always talk about beating BYU, making more money, (Utah's exaltation?) and a invite to the Pac 12.
    I guess those things mentioned above does give Utah the Edge if winning in the Pac 12 isn't that important.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 11:59 a.m.

@wookie

I really like the way you pretended that the olypmic sports have anything to do with it. 1st of all I said the Big12 is superior to the pac10 in "football and basketball" and it is. There isn't even any real argument to the contrary. I didn't say anything about womens gymnastics, softball, cross country or any other irrelevent sport. Besides with the exception of womens gymnastics utah is pretty poor in all of those "olympic" sports so you can look forward to years of futility in all of them, not that that is anything new as they were pretty futile in their old conferences.

Did the pac10 win gold in football and basketball in Beijing and we just havn't heard about it?

As far as BYU going to the BIG12, well none of us knows anything, but it's pretty obvious based on all of the talk, rumors, etc. that there is something to it. How that will turn out is anyones guess but like I said before, the meer possibility of it happening is absolutely destroying utah "fans" like yourself. naval vet has to hysterically get on here multiple times per day to try and pretend otherwise.

LOL!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Bluto:

For once, I actually agree with you. I've been advocating the Utes wearing "Crimson" ever since my college days in the 90s. And while I LOVE our "Blackout" events, I do not like that "Texas Tech" RED jersey with BLACK pants look displayed in last weekend's game.

And correct you are about that Red Tailed Hawk. For starters, it looks like a chicken on steroids. But most importantly, we are not the "Red Tailed Hawks". We're "UTES"! What an AWESOME mascot to have. And we should run with it the way Florida State does with a fierce Native American warrior, a horse, and a flaming spear....or something cool like that, that would honor the proud heritage of our namesake.

But let's not do the "tomahawk chop". That looks pretty lame.

GO UTES!!!

P.S.: It's true..."Independence" = "Irrelevance". And it's really just another glorified title for "WAC-lite".

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2011 11:16 a.m.

@duck hunter. The offer is not on the table according to most sources. Be that as it may, to state that the Big 12 is a better conference is a bold statement backed by nothing but hot air. There is a reason why the PAC-12 if titled, "The Conference of Champions". An interesing statistic from the Bejing Olympics. It was stated that the athletes from the PAC-12 alone would have ended up in the top 10 for medal count. As for weather, it is more than just terrible midwest weather. There is NOTHING to do in the midwest...Nothing but drinking and talking about the weather, lol.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 11:04 a.m.

All this conference smack and mascot smack and colors smack is irrevelant.

How about we talk about wins? Both teams have been embarrassed once this year. Fortunately for BYU, their embarrassing loss had little to no bearing on the end of the season. Yes, BYU is locked into the Armed Forces Bowl. After the loss to Tx all hope of BCS busting went out the window. Utah had zero effect on that.

Utah fans on the other hand were pounding their chests that the utes could break into the Pac12 Championship game THIS year. Their first year ever in the Pac12. As impressive as that would have been, they are now 0-2 in conference and lost a pitiful game to a mid-pac12 team. Losing to Pitt wont matter you say? Well, it will matter if you dont have enough wins to get into a Bowl Game. You need 6 wins to go bowling and I only see 3 more than U will be the favorite to win. Do the math.

I'd say Utahs embarrassing loss is quite a bit more embarrassing. And more of a reality check for ute fans.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Portland Trail Blazers:

"If expansion is to 14, then I think Memphis and Houston would be good fits."

Memphis? Memphis is so bush league, it couldn't even carry the COUGARS' water. Why would you want Memphis in your league? Do you think you'll need more cupcakes to keep from going 0-9 in league play? It isn't as if the Big TeX needs to bolster their basketball league, and since football is the who's been driving the Brinks truck, under no circumstances would adding Memphis add value to the conference.

"PS, hey Ute "fans" how is the Pac 10.2 working out?"

I have to laugh at cougar fans desperate attempts to denigrate Utah's exaltation into those mid-majorey, frantic and emotional cougars' first choice of conferences. You wanna know how it's been working out? I'll tell you...it worked out GREAT! We were INVITED! And to a conference whose TV package is worth 3-times the value of the Big TeX, which I might add, you haven't been invited to yet.

Edge: Utah.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:21 a.m.

@wookie

So because utah's conference teams are on the pacific coast and Arizona that means BYU shouldn't join the BIG12 if invited? You have been on here for months claiming BYU will never get an invitation anyway, now that it looks like a very real possibility your position is they shouldn't go because of weather?

That sounds like more ute "fan" paranoia to me. The BIG12 is a superior conference to the pac10 in both football and basketball, if BYU ever becomes a member of that conference there is nothing utah "fans" like yourself can claim superiority in except one completely irrelevent thing....weather. Your new spin is the weather is better in utah's conference. LOL!

Now I will give you this, I would prefer to travel to better weather destinations to see my team play, but I'll travel to the other places anyway. Ultimately fans just want to see their teams play.

Now once again joining the BIG12 is something I'm not sure I want to see BYU do but I find it extremely funny how disconcerting, frankly down right terrifying, the possibility of it is to utah "fans". Now you're reduced to "weather" smack. LOL!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:10 a.m.

@Bleed Crimson

Speaking of Irrelevance... Crimson?
    When will Utah actually incorporate "Crimson" into their Uniforms.

Fire Engine-Nebraska Red and Black doesn't cut it anymore.

When Utah can get their Colors and Mascot straight (Red Tail Hawk? Utes?) then U can talk.

Oh, that political correctness can be so hard to navigate.
    Stanford used to be the Indians. They are now the Cardinal, not the bird, The Color!
    And their mascot is a "Tree"!

Utah, you really have finally found your Home.
    Like-Minded Conflicted Libs.
    Enjoy!

As for irrelevance, ESPN does not think so, regarding BYU.
    Thankfully, the "Nation" tuned out of the Utah/BYU game, so like all Utah Games, nobody really saw it.

In fac,t the Central Florida v BYU game drew 3 times the audience.

We'll see BYU again this week on one of the ESPN netrworks, and Utah?
    KJZZ?
    Anyone?

• CKS007 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:08 a.m.

The Big 12 should just add AFA, BSU and BYU and call it good. Three teams to get back up to 12. Three new markets for TV contracts. Look west Big 12. Too much competition on the east side.

• Utehaterforlife Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:52 a.m.

@ Bleed Crimson

They are embarassed from the beat down, but he there not 0-2 in conference play, and the Utes are representing the state of Utah and haven't showed up against the Pac yet, and they won't this saturday against ASU.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:09 a.m.

@ Portland Trail Blazers

"PS, hey Ute "fans" how is the Pac 10.2 working out?"

I'm so glad you are worried about the Utes. The "Pac-12" is working out great! We took a beating by Washington, but that was expected with our starting QB going down. But, give the Utes a few years to get depth on their roster. Utah wouldn't trade the Pac-12 for any other conference. Thanks for thinking about us though.

PS, How is irrelevance working out for you? I mean Independence? I felt so bad for the Cougies after that 54-10 beat down Utah handed you on ESPN2 for the whole country to see. Ouch! ESPN must be embarrassed to sign an 8 year deal for a sub-par team to get smoked!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:54 a.m.

usbummer, I do not want to see Boise in the same division as BYU. Most people are so sick of Boise, and I doubt they'd want them anyways. They are only good in football and are not strong academically. Boise is not our rival. I don't know where you got that from.

BYU would be crazy to only join in football. Does BYU seriously want their teams in the WAC, WCC, Big 12, and any other conference? What a mess that would be. Go big or don't go.

I for one, do not want BYU to join. Like Utah, I think it would be hard to win conference championships very often and may take years to start doing so. The PAC and Big 12 have very dominant teams in specific sports. I like knowing Utah will not win a championship in a long time...I don't want BYU to join that losing side. However, BYU won ~140 MW championships to Utah's ~49, so BYU would likely be winning first.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:52 a.m.

Listen to me, stay Indepedent. Your trips to Ames, Lubbock, Waco, Manhattan (KS) are horrible nearly year round. I know this, trust me...Midwest is not idea in any way shape or form for weather. The Utes are blessed to be able to go to AZ, CA, WA, and OR...much better venues and cities...

• usbummer LEESBURG, FL
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:36 a.m.

I am a graduate of Oklahoma State and I watched the Big 8 expand to the Big 12.I am caught up in this conference realignment talk. I now believe that the recent decisions have made the Big 12 Conference stable and I, for one, would love to see BYU join the North Division. I would also love to see your rival, Boise State, lured away from their recent conference commitments and also join the North with another joining the South to bring our numbers back to 12. BYU would be a fine addition to our conference, hopefully in all sports, not just football.

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:24 a.m.

Hey Tom, there are seats available on flights to Texas. Are you booked? You could use my credit card if you need to.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 4, 2011 7:28 a.m.

If half of the Big 12 had joined the Pac 12 creating a superconference BYU would have had reason to worry.

That being said, that arrangement is really not viable and was only a move by Oklahoma for bargaining purposes.

BYU should continue forward with concern for Independent scheduling. If the Big 12 comes to them singing the right tune, great but, I think BYU is in a pretty good position regardless of what transpires.

Super-conferences are a lot of fun for talk show hosts to discuss but, the reality is it's a difficult thing to pull off. Anyone caught up or planning around them is focusing on the "20" of the "80/20" rule.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 4, 2011 7:27 a.m.

BYU needs to be quiet. The last time they trusted someone they got thrown under the bus.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 4, 2011 7:04 a.m.

The speculation is killing me. Will the conference reorganization drama ever end?

For those concerned with stability, the media rights deal makes the Big 12 as stable as any other conference. The only real questions are -

Will Missouri leave? Not with the new media rights deal. They know they would be a very small fish in the very big SEC pond.

Will the Big 12 expand to 10 or 12? Oklahoma and most others want 12, and Texas wants 10. Texas will concede in the guise of being a team player and the conference will go back to 12. There's too much money on the table with the conference championship game not to go to 12.

Who will be added to get to 12? TCU and BYU are odds on favorites to fill two of the slots. BYU's silence is telling. If they were not interested in the Big 12, they would be more vocal. They were waiting to see in the media rights deal went through and for Missouri to make a decision. Once Missouri decides to stay, expect an announcement within a few days.

Louisville will likely be the 12th team added, with WVU going to SEC.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:40 a.m.

If they join the Big 12, BYU shouldn't feel obligated to keep all the non-football sports in the WCC since that conference only has 6 sports that don't include things like track and swimming.

The WCC has always been an imperfect solution sought in desperation when the WAC collapsed. If you're going to join the Big 12, go all in.

• AZ_True_Blue Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2011 12:27 a.m.

Get the BYUtv rights on a written contract with the Big 12 and then make the move BYU. And please don't send football only to the Big 12, we might as well stay independent if that is all we can get.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 12:07 a.m.

PS, hey Ute "fans" how is the Pac 10.2 working out?