Sports

Mike Sorensen: Utah college football teams: We have some questions

Comments

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:38 a.m.

patriot | 12:26 p.m. Oct. 3, 2011
    Cedar Hills, UT

"Jake did much better under Anae and he might find himself doing great again under Norm Chow."

Its kinda funny how ute fans give Jake the business about how he is over-rated and over-hyped and that he is mentally weak. But ask any one of you if you would take him off our hands and it is a resounding "YES".

Is he good or not? U are sending mixed signals. Just like U, always wanting it both ways.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:55 a.m.

@WyomingZoob

right, wtih a sample size of three games against po dunk teams. Great stat!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Isn't it fun to read that USU has the best quarterback in the State, that their "offense" has lost the games when they were ahead late in the 4th quarter and the "defense" was on the field, that Utah had a "bad game" against UW but BYU is just plain crummy? Mike Sorensen is the best Monday Morning Quarterback around and I'm sure he feels his article, which is nothing more than a few casual observations and predictions, is the greatest evaluation on all the teams. Well, W's and L's have always been the standard and using that criteria, USU is no better than they've always been. Conference Championship's are the next barometer and Utah isn't impressing anyone that in this golden year of opportunity, due to USC's problems the Utes were going to the Rose Bowl, suddenly looks like they might not be going to any bowl. Of course everyone has to jump on the BYU quarterback situation because that's the latest thing; they will be fine and Utah will always say they beat BYU 54 - 10 and achieved their highest goal for the season, immediately falling back on that after losing 31 - 14 to UW at home.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:33 p.m.

"Although it didn't work last time, perhaps now that Heaps has a year of experience, he can be effective not playing the whole game."

If anyone has watched the show Arrested Development, I hope this statement strikes you as hilariously "Tobias" as I found it.

Tobias on open relationships: "No, somehow these people delude themselves into thinking it will work, but it never does... but it MIGHT work for US..."

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Oct. 3, 2011 7:09 p.m.

to the ute naysayers out there-
    check the facts:
    coming into the BYU game UCF was #1 in the country with red zone offense, scoring 16 out of 16 trips (with 12 tds and 4 fgs),
    they were #1 in pass defense, in the top 20 in rush defense, top 5 in points allowed and #2 in total yards;

so yes, despite your crimson lenses, UCF was a good team statistically (near the top in the country in several defensive categories), & in the top 25 at the end of last season.

& just like you feel the washington score was a fluke- so was the utah/BYU score. If played again, I'm sure it'd be a much closer game, even if utah did win (which I'm not overly convinced of- just like UW and u).

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2011 4:51 p.m.

"The Utes have weaknesses (plenty)we know that and acknowledge that, unlike most Y fans."

I would love for you to provide an example of a Cougar fan who said that BYU has no weaknesses. If you find one person, then find a second person; after all, if it is "most Y fans", as you claim, that should be a piece of cake. I'm waiting.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 4:16 p.m.

What I can't believe is the lack of criticism for the Ute Coaching staff who for some reason is unable to recruit any decent QB talent beyond Wynn. Utes are banking on a guy that was recruited by 0 programs in D1. They got him in a desperation move after D2 Nebraska Omaha folded their football program.
    Really? A PAC 12 "big time" school and that's the best they can muster as a backup for Wynn?

• bslack Draper, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Patriot, I believe Doman was the Quarterback Coach last year for Heaps. Anae was the OC, but Doman still worked individually with Heaps. I have not been impressed with Doman as the OC and would lay some of the blame for Heaps struggles with him. Heaps has a long way to go to figure out the mental part of Div 1 football. I have no doubts that Norm would be doing a better job of coaching up Heaps. Norm has a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge in working with QB's.

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 2:54 p.m.

"What other team defeated one of the best offensive and defensive teams in the nation in UCF"

That is funny stuff. Really funny stuff. UCF isn't even in the conversation for best unit in the nation on either side of the ball. LOL!

Isn't the best measure of which team is best head-to-head performance?

Utah beat BYU by 44 and BYU beat USU by a hair.

Edge: Utah

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 3, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Why do cougar fans think Utah would want their 110th-rated, over-hyped, arrogant, loud-mouthed mama's boy? Utah wants 6'6", 210-lbs Travis Wilson. End of story.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Oct. 3, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Striker:

"It's hard to rank teams because they all play different schedules, but...Edge: BYU"

Silly frantic and emotional coug. It's actually quite simple. 54-10! Edge: Utah!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 3, 2011 2:16 p.m.

I don't see Bronco benching Heaps for long.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:33 p.m.

@Striker

bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

UCF is one of the best offensive and defensive teams this year? thanks. You know, they changed the comics section and dropped some of my favorites. Good to know I can still come here and get a good laugh.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:26 p.m.

I will say this - Jake Heaps has all the physical tools to be great. His mental game is suffering right now and the two responsible for that are Jake and Brandon Doman. Jake did much better under Anae and he might find himself doing great again under Norm Chow.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:23 p.m.

USU or SUU have the best starting QB right now. What other team won at an SEC home field and finished the game and won it? What other team played at Texas, controlled most of the game, and barely lost by one point (also note Texas is undefeated and slaughtered all of their other opponents so far) ? What other team defeated one of the best offensive and defensive teams in the nation in UCF? This same team, yes, had a mental breakdown vs. Utah, but showed heart in beating UCF and a great come from behind win vs. USU.

It's hard to rank teams because they all play different schedules, but here's how each team has fared.
    BYU: Played 5 very tough opponents and is 3-2 (W: SEC, CUSA, WAC)
    Utah: Played 3 very tough opponents and is 2-2 (W: BYU, FBS)
    USU: Played 2 very tough opponents and is 1-3 (W: FBS)
    SUU: Destroyed UNLV and only losses were close losses. 3-2
    Weber: Almost beat Wyoming and lost to USU. Only Wyoming has a winning record of their 5 opponents. 2-3

Edge: BYU

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Riverton cougar -

The funny thing is that it is not Ute fan (mostly) who is proclaiming all summer how good we are and how we will go undefeated or only have one loss etc.., with coaches who go on and on about how far ahead the whole team is (so much so that they get multiple days off in camp - if I were a Y fan I would want some accountability on that one).

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Looks like Riverton Cougar is still smarting from the 54-10 wiping he cougars took a few weeks ago.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Oh, the hypocrisy of Ute fans! They state in a matter-of-fact way that BYU has peaked already, that Heaps is a bad QB, that there was nothing unusual about the BYU-Utah game (7 turnovers is normal for BYU), Utah is CLEARLY better than BYU (and would win every week if they played every week this season), BYU could not be any better than they are now, BYU only wins games by luck (are worse than all their opponents), etc.

On the other hand, Utah CAN improve, Utah's turnovers against Washington was a fluke, Utah is really better than all their opponents, only loses by bad luck, and every week the team played only half as well as they could (meaning if they really played as well as they could, they would cream every opponent they played), etc.

I know not all Ute fans are like this, but please let's show some objectivity! Don't call the SDSU game last year a blown call while saying the same thing at Utah was the correct call! Don't say BYU lost despite turnovers (and a bad game), then say Utah was better than Washington!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:20 a.m.

One thing is for sure. The coaches are not reading any of these posts and they will all do what they think is best for their teams. The only controversy is at BYU. Heaps did not improve much after the Utah game. He needed a big wake up call. Nelson leading the team to a win against a good USU team after he was replaced might be that wake up call.
    BYU has Nelson and Lark if Heaps gets another chance and doesn't perform or decides to transfer. Heaps has had enough chances that there is no surprise that he was pulled and he can't complain if Nelson gets the start in the next game.
    I think Heaps will respond well but he still needs to learn to be a leader.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:07 a.m.

If I am Heaps I get benched I 100% look to transfer. I can tell you this Norm Chow would LOVE to have Heaps and develop him at Utah. Heaps is too good to be on the Bench and Nelson is no division one stater for sure. I think this will show what kind of coaches you have at the Y going forward. If Heaps is out then I will say with 100% certainty BYU won't win more than 5 games this year or next year.

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:05 a.m.

"if the Utes can't play better they won't win any PAC-12 games"

Ah, but they can play better. They're not Rose Bowl bound, but they'll win games this year. I'd rather play difficult opponents, win some,but drop a few along the way then play cupcake after cupake and debate who should start at QB ad nauseum.

54-10 still brings a smile to my face as well.

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:04 a.m.

Heaps may or may not have lost a lot of support from his team with his constant chatter to the press, but it didn't help that he threw an interception, then did nothing to even slow down the runner before he rambled 96 yards for 6 points in the Ole Miss game.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Is Tomahawk Red in a parallel universe? Utah was "assured" of a win at home over the 10 point underdog Huskies. Coach Whitt has it right, if the Utes can't play better they won't win any PAC-12 games.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Big Hapa | 10:14 p.m. Oct. 2, 2011
    Kaysville, UT
    "What question, this program would be 4 & 0 ranked 13 or higher if Riley had been the starter in the first place."

There is no doubt about who cane lead, who can bring the most out of his team mates, and who has the will and drive to win Riley hands down."

===

Which four games would this program have won, and what would have happened in the other game?

Hapa, you know the Poly world, and of course therefore, know football. Tell us, if you were a DC, how hard would it be to prepare for a game against Riley. How many yards would the guy get on QB draws. How would you defend his fluttering passes.

Seriously, any DC could shut down Riley at QB by Mon Night.

If Riley started against USU, he would have ran for negative yardage, and been intercepted 4 times... (See how easy it is to predict past performance that never happend except in your own head)?

• WallyD North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:23 a.m.

I agree with many of the comments. Heaps has the skills to take BYU to the next level he just has to figure out his head and find his fire.

Heaps should remain the starter but give him some competition and have a trigger to put in Nelson if Heaps doesn't perform for a couple of drives.

I don't think Nelson is the full-game, tough-team solution. We have to remember some of the games last year when Nelson just couldn't beat anybody with his arm.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:03 a.m.

A lot of worry from the peanut gallery over the utes. Nah, I am not too worried. This pac-12 thing is going to take some time, but Utah will get there. I appreciate that they never gave up, unlike another team I know of.....

• IDC Boise, ID
    Oct. 3, 2011 9:39 a.m.

I would start Heaps and bring in Nelson a lot more. Heaps is the starter, Nelson comes in every once in a while to mix things up. I love Riley's fire but I don't think he can take BYU very far when teams are game-planning for him.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 3, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Easy questions about which Cougs QB to start. With the exception of the TCU & Hawaii game (at Hawaii), the cake-walk portion of the schedule starts against San Jose State, just in time for Heaps to build some confidence. As disappointing as he's been, I believe he'll start this Saturday, with Nelson coming in relief, if necessary. I think Heaps gets "one more chance" for this season to prove himself. IF he can have a realitively solid game against the Spartans, that should boost his confidence going into future games, as happened last year. The Cougs are looking at the following:

San Jose State (1-3)
    Oregon State (0-4)
    Idaho State (2-3)
    TCU (3-1)
    Idaho (2-3)
    New Mexico State (2-3)
    Hawaii (3-2)

I think a bigger issue is what's the condition of the locker room about Heaps. I don't get the impression ol' Jake has endeared himself to a lot of teammates. I read alot about Heaps tooting his own own; I don't hear the same coming from his teammates.

• dUrrdy bUrrd dUrrdy-bUrrdville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 9:03 a.m.

If byU gives on Heaps, he's welcome to come over to the UofU and we'd be glad to use his services!!! lol

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 8:55 a.m.

riley had a great fourth quarter but one only has to go back to the air force game last year to see that he can't be effective like that for the entire game.

texas showed that playing 2 quarterbacks can work, but what was different with what they did is they stuck with the hot guy to finish the game.

as for utah, hays only looked good during garbage time, after sark had called off the dogs. Ute running backs where all over rated coming into the season. you can expect more of this past the season progresses. this is what most people outside SLC had predicted for utah this year.

• Scotty Boy Logan, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 8:46 a.m.

I am not a fan of Byu or Jake Heaps, but he has hit a lot of recievers in the hands and they have dropped the ball. You can't blame the QB for that. I think he bails a little to quick, but that can be corrected by the coaching staff. As for Utah State, I think they need a new Offensive Cordinator, and a different mind set, when the games get down to the end. Everybody knows that the ball is going to go to Turbin, Why not use miss direction and maybe a Quarterback roll out and a pass. The Defenses react so quick to a dominate player, miss direct them. Coach Anderson is doing a GREAT job, he and the players need all of the support that they can get.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 3, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Southern Utah has the best QB in the state.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 6:22 a.m.

Great article by Mike Sorenson. Questions we all have are listed, and its nice to see someone articulate them. Texas showed the Cougars 3 QB's and they won by going with the "hot" one that day...maybe such competition would bring out the best in Y's top 3 QB's? Anderson has mismanaged his offensive arsenal, and the team paid in loses. Utah may be longing for the old MT WEST conference now...SUU/WSU represent the state well, show its not always the most celebrated QBs that do the best on the next level of play.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Edit for clarity:

I said: "As a musician, if I was only as good as I was at the beginning of my sophomore year, then I'd be in trouble! I'm guessing it's the same for most of you guys."

I mean: "As a musician, if right now I was only as good as......"

I realized how confusing that sentence seems.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Heaps is not doing well right now. Nobody is arguing that. However, he WILL get better! I agree with giving Nelson or Lark playing time when Heaps is down; it shows Heaps that he needs to earn the spot (no tenure in sports), and it gives BYU a better chance to win.

Don't judge him by a few weeks at the beginning of his sophomore year in college. As a musician, if I was only as good as I was at the beginning of my sophomore year, then I'd be in trouble! I'm guessing it's the same for most of you guys.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:22 p.m.

Anderson has a history of blowing leads -- at two local schools.

Heaps start? No. Start Riley, give Lark reps in practice for a couple weeks, reassess after a couple games, put the full-court press on Chase Hansen.

The Utes' season is up in the air right now.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Time to start, Nelson.

Usually I'd say he's nowhere near as accurate as Heaps, but lately Heaps has been anything accurate. Plus, Heaps hasn't shown any real fire for quite some time this season.

Over pride and an L or humility and a W, I'll take the W.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:57 p.m.

Although the win/loss column does not show it, Utah State is the best team in the State...period.

Heaps just needs to grow up and mature some...he is what, three/four years younger than Riley. Although Keeton is a true freshman and does play with alot of maturity.

The only real plays that Riley ran correctly were the designed quarterback draws...the rest were broken plays...he does have the ability to run around and find other options, but BYU can not make a season based on broken plays and miracle catches in the inzone.

Continue to develop Heaps...

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Jake needs to learn from Riley and witness first hand what it means to play with composer, focused determination, fight for every yard and never quit.

Riley is a footballer all day long baby, all day long.

• drb Providence, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Anderson has the Aggies playing better overall than they have for a long time. It seems like responsibility for the losses to Auburn and Colorado State has to be at least shared by the special teams coaching effort, which right now doesn't seem to be a strong point. But all the games have been close enough that a little improvement in any of several areas would have made the difference.

• Waipahuboy WAIPAHU, HI
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Keeton. Best quarterback in the state deserves to have his name spelled correctly, yes?

And Heaps should transfer, repair his reputation, get a do-over. Hopefully, he'd have learned to avoid speaking to the press, develop touch passing skills, taking hits in live practice sessions against first-team D.... at this rate, no way he wins a Nat'l Championship @ BYU-provo or gets a sniff from any NFL franchise.

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Once teams are able to game plan for Nelson and his running ability, he will become less effective because they will force him to beat them with his arm. His arm isn't as good as Heaps, but then again, Heaps hasn't been accurate either, so its probably a toss up now, with a slight edge to Riley because he is mobile and can make things happen.

• Waipahuboy WAIPAHU, HI
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:27 p.m.

KEETON....sheesh. Best QB in the state, get the correct spelling.

And I hope Heaps transfers b/c he needs to start (his FB career, reputation) anew. Hopefully, he'd have learned to avoid speaking to the press, develop touch on his passes, and take some hits during live practice. Doubtful at this point he'll win a Nat'l Championship or get drafted by any NFL team, esp. @ BYU-Provo.

• jw_bluecoug SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:14 p.m.

Riley! Riley! Riley!

He showed leadership, talent & heart!
    Thats what we need!

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:04 p.m.

Heaps may be more talented, but sometimes it takes more than talent. Detmer wasn't the most physically gifted qb, but he was intense and smart. Kellen Moore at Boise State doesn't have the greatest physical talent either, but he can flat out play and knows how to pick a defense apart.

Nelson brings leadership, maturity, mobility, and intensity to the table. The BYU offense responded to him differently than Heaps. And he found a way to win the game. That speaks volumes. Heaps may be the future, but let's worry about this season now. Nelson has earned the starting job.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Gotta laugh at the question: Will Utah win another game without Wynn?

Classic Des News overreaction. And a ridiculous notion.

Is it possible that Utah loses the rest of their games? Of course it's POSSIBLE. There's just a better likelihood of winning the lottery.

Oregon State at home is almost a slam dunk, with or without Wynn. So is Colorado.

Hays, while he fumbled and threw a pick, impressed me last night. I didn't expect anything out of Hays when he was put into the game. But once he got comfortable, he looked good. Especially on the last garbage time TD drive... when he showed that he has the accuracy to make completions.

John White struggled a bit yesterday, but he will be back. So, in spite of this article's ludicrous implication that Utah's run game is dead, we most certainly WILL be able to rely on our run game for the rest of the season.

Go ahead, D News. Pile it on. Utah will compete this season, and it will be great to see the crimson on your faces when all is said and done.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:50 p.m.

I think Nelson has earned a shot at starting, no question about it. Give him the reigns this next game and see what he does. If he doesn't produce much better than Heaps, give Lark a look. With the pressure, lack of fan support, and apparent lack of teammate support, I don't think Heaps can be BYU's QB for the next 2 yrs and expect to be successful. He has had a real legitimate shot at starting QB. I just don't see the potential. I am sure he would do well against the upcoming patsies, but we need to start preparing somebody who can lead the team for the upcoming games with TCU, OSU, and Hawaii.

• Ted Saint George, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:20 p.m.

I really don't think that Heaps is the future for BYU. He came out of HS as one of the top 3 QB's in the nation and BYU landed him. So far, he really hasn't worked out for BYU. High school was easy and now college ball is just too difficult for him right now. Maybe there is some bad chemistry between him and the other guys, who knows. What I do know is this, when Riley came into the game, the team stepped it up like I haven't seen before. The players were playing all out for Riley and knew that he could win the game for them. I'll bet the players won't respond like that for Heaps anytime in the near future. If he decides to transfer, let him. I think he has lost his fan base anyways. BYU recruits 6-8 QB's every year and everything will be just fine. Riley and his back up Lark can take charge for the rest of the year and salvage a decent season without Heaps.

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:08 p.m.

One more change please. Why cant the center snap the ball back quickly rather than the floater that costs the QB a half count on every play. To me, to really affects the timing of the plays.

As for Heaps, he doesnt have it with regard to the mental approach to the game. He doesnt throw with touch, telegraphs his throws, and doesnt quickly check down to 2 or 3rd recievers. Did I mention that he gets "crazy eyes" whenever the gets pressured? He has to work on all of that. Unfortunately, he cant do that from the bench.

I thought Nelson was a Senior. Last report was that Lark was also playing better than Nelson. It looks like it could be some type of sharing time again. This could end up very messy. Hope Heaps takes his medicine and dedicates himself to improving his play rather than pouting or taking his ball and going home.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Utah State "is not over achieving" they merely are snake bitten! Maybe a little to conservative late in games but overall they have made terrific strides the past couple of years and now have a QB to build around for the future, they should continue to grow to equal what a great basketball program they have had forever. Go Ags.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:30 p.m.

I believe BYU has to continue to start Jake. He is our starter. But as Veracity said, keep him on a short leash and if hes not moving the offense/scoring td's he needs to sit.

The qb has to be able to make decisions on the fly and it doesnt seem like Jake is capable of doing that right now. Who knows how many plays Doman called that Riley actually ran like it was meant to be ran. He made really good decisions in real time and thats why he was successful.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Heaps is still the future...work with him, start him, but do not be afraid to pull him and insert Riley if he is not producing...Heaps needs to have a sense of urgency buy not wound so tight with emotion.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:00 p.m.

I would hope that BYU is smart enough to pick a starter and not go with the two quarterback system again which proved to be an utter failure last year. They should keep playing Nelson as long as he is effective. Heaps is still the future but has shown that he is not yet mentally prepared to lead the team where it matters most, on the field.

As far as USU goes, I think Anderson has them overachieving big time. The late game let downs can be attributed to lack of athleticism and depth.

Utah's made their bed and now must sleep in it. I would not be surprised to see them miss a bowl game this year. The only question is how quick the newly acquired band wagon fans run for greener pastures? I guess there's a chance they'll show up for the champion caliber womens gymnastics. They sure won't have much else to root for.