Sports

Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn's status doesn't look good, Kyle Whittingham says

Comments

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Tomahawk and rock on,

You two have my permanent disrespect.

What rock on said is not true. Fact, Utah on the upswing, Fact, BYU on the downswing.

I could mention all the reasons that every fan of college football knows, but I will let you two continue to be in the dark.

If you have not noticed what's been going on in the world of college football in the past two decades, why start now?

P.S. I know both of you think that BYU going independent is some how relevant in the world of college football and it that it is an equal move to getting Invited to the PAC 12?? Ha.

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 12:27 p.m.

At laser,

No, everything utah fans said about byu and byu fans is still true. you just helped support that.

Utah now got "blown out" because of turnovers... Uh, yes geting "blow out" by 16 pts is the same thing as getting BLOWN OUT by 44 points (which was really at least 47 if utah kicks a field goal instead of kneeling on the ball in the red zone, or at least 54 if they continue to hand the ball off to john White).

The tearm "blown out" is meant for what happend to the Y: 54-10.

Holding a Washington team to 34 points and a 16pt margin, after having to use a back up QB with ne experience,and turning the ball over 5 times (1 for a td, and two inside the 10 Washington 10 yd line), is actualy not bad.

BYU did not have their QB out of the game. BYU did not have ANY turnovers inside the UTAH 10yd line (in other words they were never going to score!).

BYU got blown out by 44 catching all kinds of breaks. Nice try though.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Come on Utah fans, you knew Wynn wasn't going to make it. I hate saying this, but everytime things get tough and the Utes look like they are over matched, Wynn seems to come out with an injury, why? I have been saying this before the season even started, that by the 3rd, or 4th game Wynn would either be injured, or get replaced. He had surgery on his shoulder, not his heart. That been his problem the entire time. Utah is in a much better place now that Hays has his chance and will practice with the 1st team all week. I actually think Utah now has a chance to win the south because of this. I wish Wynn the best, but starting QB is not his forte. I hope a quick recovery, but I think this is it for his career Utah fans.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:42 p.m.

sammyg | 12:39 p.m. Oct. 2, 2011
    Springville, UT

Ouch and very unfortunate. Good luck Jordan in your recovery. Sorry Ute team, play your best and encourage your new starter.

----------

I'll admit that I'm on your case a lot, and sometimes deservedly so. But I am pleased to see this comment from you.

Thanks for the class in not laughing at Wynn's injury, as many Y fans are doing. And thanks for recognizing the best course of action for our team... rallying behind Jon Hays.

I'll remember this one, sammyg.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:39 p.m.

CougarBlue | 9:00 a.m. Oct. 2, 2011
    Heber City, UT
    Wow, that is going to make it tough on the Utes. I was hoping they could run the table this year. Will be truly interesting to see how the backup does.

---------

You are correct. I, for one, am atypically interested to see how good Hays might be. His teammates like him, the coaches like him, and he may bring a different style of leadership to this team.

There is every possibility that Hays will fill in nicely until Wynn comes back... or wins the starter job outright.

We will see. I, for one, can't wait to see how he does against the Devils next week.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:38 p.m.

One question? what was the attendance when the score was 31-7, did the fans stay, unlike the BYU fans when the Utes were killing them?

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:30 p.m.

RockOn | 8:30 a.m. Oct. 2, 2011
    Spanish Fork, UT
    Tough loss for the Utes. Losing is quite a good thing for BYU and Utah as it quells the fires of arrogance we (and other sports fans) are quite good at. When BYU used to regularly destroy Utah, too many of my fellow Cougar fans would declare we had a superior program (we did then) and the Utes were in a permanent decline (nonsense). When Utah clobbered BYU this year it humbled BYU and put the Utes into an arrogant posture about how BYU was no in permanent decline. Equally nonsensical. They will be back.

------------

What a great post.

You got my permanent respect.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Laser | 7:51 a.m. Oct. 2, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Way to go Scott! I love how he answered the question about BYU (reporter looking for an official dig) with "certainly". The only people who can't see BYU for what it is are utah fans.

--------

I'm having trouble believing you.

You're cheering our conference commissioner, who completely dissed you guys last year by inviting Utah... and even dissed you again in his response to the reporter's question.

Scott said, they would be an attractive option to any conference. Notice how he didn't say "BYU is an attractive option for our conference."

I really can't believe you think that's a compliment to BYU. Larry Scott wants no part of you guys, now or ever.

But I gotta laugh that you actually think he was praising BYU there.

lol

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2011 3:37 p.m.

@Laser- turnovers are part of the game. The U took advantage of everything the Y gave them as good teams should. We got beat around last night, and although the fumbled kickoff and the two fumbles in the redzone really sucked. We just got beat by the better team last night. Just like the Y did a few weeks ago. No excuses from this U fan, we just need to play harder and stay tough mentally.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 2:22 p.m.

@ Bleed Crimson
    I would sure like the coaching staff we have on the hill stay put for a few years and keep bringing that talent into the program. Those guys playing learned a lesson last night that you can't tackle in the PAC 12 like you would in the MWC or others will run right through you.
    Hays actually looked pretty good once he warmed up and Chow will run plays that suit his strength.
    I'm sure not going into death bed panic mode if the Utes should go 7-5 or even 6-6 this year but become bowl eligible so that the Ute logo is out on the air waves post season.
    P.S. Devonte Christopher was also an all region QB in Las Vegas.
    Blechen was the nations 12th ranked dual threat QB in the nation.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 1:47 p.m.

This was one game I had as questionable and I thought if we won it would be close. Too bad about Wynn. I think losing him was the key to our lack of offensive production in the second hald. Hays is goig to have to learn fast, but we've seen it happen before.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 12:39 p.m.

All the rivalry fan banter back and forth and here the Utes are as several predicted... Wynn is out again and NO real backup QB talent in the wings.

So predictable and so unnecessary. Hard pill to swallow but the BYU backup changed a game and maybe a season. Coaches did a big disservice to the Ute program this year leaving it so exposed.

Hope Hays can develop, what an opportunity for a JC transfer from a program that no longer exists? Wow, that could be a story... or not.

• Ex-Pat of Zion Lititz, PA
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Shreve was getting a fair amount of press in the spring. His name's on the roster. Did get injured, become ineligible or leave the program? The season admittedly looks like it could be long. The Utes have athletes that have played the position (Robles, Blechen) and were recruited as QB's. Is Brian willing to burn a potential all-american shot to help the team by switching back? Wildcat with him could be an option at a minimum? Is the O line disciplined enough to handle the change in cadence under this type of improvisation. Reilly had to come up with the "duck" a while back. What's in the dusty pages of Chow's playbook?

Hays perhaps settled down late in the game, or it could have been Udub calling off the "dogs". I expect the team to rebound. It's been a while since they've had a "UNLV" (Boise State, TCU and ND last year notwithstanding).

• eljefeBYUfan Denver, CO
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I feel for Wynn! To have an injury that prevents us from reaching our potential can be devastating; personally as well as publicly. I wish him only the best, and a quick and full recovery.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Utah fans really shouldn't have high expectations for our first year. Utah lacks depth and the offensive line is weak compared to other Pac-12 schools. It is going to take a few years to recruit and get that depth. This is a year where we know where we'll stand at the end of the season and we can improve on that. Utah will be a great Pac-12 member in years to come. I have no doubt we have the best coaches in the league. We just need to get that Pac-12 talent.

Go Utes!

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:53 a.m.

As we sat in the stands and saw Hays come out in the second half we did not know what had happened to Wynn. I feel bad that he is hurt again. I thought he was playing very well and the offense was moving the ball. Get well soon.

No excuses here or from the Utes. You have to win with the players you have. I thought Hays played well considering he was thrown into the fire.

A week with the first team and he will be fine.

Go Utes!

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:50 a.m.

The worst case scenario at the start of the season was Bergstrom going down and then Wynn going down because our best player isn't there protecting him. Well that didn't take long to become a reality.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:35 a.m.

Heaps might be available!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I sincerely wish Wynn a speedy recovery and the Utes a great season. Everyone knew it would be tough the first year or two in a BCS conference. I'm a Coug, but I love the Utes too and cheer for them almost always. I admit to being proud of Sarkisian...another old cougar.

Good luck Utes!

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:29 a.m.

niners | 11:47 p.m. Oct. 1, 2011
    SAINT GEORGE, UT

Do you think that the SF 49ers and Alex Smith will finally put it together this year? They have been killing me since they got rid of Garcia (blamed a good QB instead of the coach/bad team).

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:00 a.m.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:30 a.m.

Seeing Utah lose a fumble that Washington returned for a TD was kind of poetic justice seeing as how they were the recipient of a similar gift from BYU the previous game.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Hope Wynn can recover and toughen up for his sake and hope Heaps can learn not to believe his own press he creates.

• gnrl39 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:20 a.m.

After all of the talk I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I wish the utes good luck but also remember all of the hoopla when arizona and arizona state went west.

• David A Orem, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:06 a.m.

The chances of the Utes winning the south division just went out the window. I predict a loss next week and the fans will follow the chances of winning the south.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:51 a.m.

Brings up the question though, why are questiong being asked about BYU at a U/UW game?

Now that Utah got blown out at home because of turnovers, does that mean everything they said about BYU is now true about them?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Oct. 2, 2011 6:45 a.m.

That's a tough injury ... hopefully it isn't as bad as the injury last year to his right shoulder. Hope to see him back in the lineup soon.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Oct. 2, 2011 12:08 a.m.

um.....SHOCKER! hahahahaha

• Moog Wasatch/Heber, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Tough loss for Utah. Can't wait for Basketball season in the PAC 12.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:47 p.m.

@majmajor
    I wish more fans (utah,and byu) were more like you. I have noticed and appreciated your comments, you are a classy person.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:18 p.m.

I wish Wynn a speedy recovery. May you be able to return and play well (except against the Cougs).

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:10 p.m.

This is troubling for sure. However, I still think the winning the South Division is very doable. We were given a huge gift by avoiding the two powers of Stanford and Oregon. With USC out of the picture, I still think it comes down to the Utah Arizona State game next week. Arizona State is struggling right now against a very bad Oregon State team.

If any coach can get it done, it's Kyle. Beat ASU, and the division(and spot in inaugural pac 12 championship game) is ours.

Get better Jordan!