Sports

High school football: Knights hand Miners first loss to a Utah team in 31 games

Comments

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Sad thing is, this is what American Fork would have been had the administration hired Tony McGeary as head coach when they had the chance. Lone Peak got a great one.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 6:05 p.m.

I graduated from LP about 5 years ago and I am still proud to have been a knight. I was there when LP won 2 State Championship titles (one when Jackson Emery led the team) and for some really great football as well. GO KNIGHTS!!!!!!

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 3:19 p.m.

ExTBird, I agree with you that fans can be that way. Every team has fans like that, whether the team is at the professional, college or high school level. Lone Peak fans rushing Bingham's field, throwing garbage cans, dumping the garbage on it and trying to disrupt Bingham's team meeting are just a few examples of bad behavior I saw last Thursday. Some may say Lone Peak fans rushing the field can be excused. Fair enough. But can anyone excuse the few fans who thought it ok to dump garbage on Bingham's field, then throw large garbage cans where they landed on fellow Lone Peak fans? I think it highly unlikely these same individuals would have done that had the game been played at Lone Peak. Most Lone Peak fans were respectful enough to walk around the field when leaving, but there were an arrogant few who thought they were entitled to walk across rather than around.
    I'm almost certain someone will write to say none of this happened.
    I saw it all happen. The vast majority of Lone Peak fans behaved as well as can be expected, all things considered.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:05 a.m.

He's a great QB. Can we graduate him early and send him up to the U?:)

• ExTBird Springville, US-UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 6:29 p.m.

A teams history is not something they should ever forget. A loss to LP does not erase Bingham's success. Though I do kind of understand where all the "hate" comes from. Spend some time at the top and arrogance can begin to set in. Last year's Bingham team was fantastic, but the fans themselves were hard to swallow. Very arrogant, often rude, and seldom won with much grace. I attended a lot of games last year and was really disappointed to see the 2 big state champs (Bingham, Highland) have their accomplishments tainted a bit by their fans.

Highland's behavior was disgusting against Springville. So much so that I had zero desire to see them play MC. Bingham while no where near as bad still had a bunch of trash talkers. So I can understand why getting handed a piece of humble pie makes people happy.

Winning is great, but winning with some grace is what separates the boys from the men. Chase for example is extremely humble, and has every excuse not to be. I REALLY wish we saw more of this and less hot air. That is sports I guess though.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Jarka-rus, I agree with your statement that one loss doesn't change the fact that Bingham has enjoyed great success in the last five years. I'm not sorry that people don't like it. Our team has worked hard enough that they don't need to apologize for being good. As a Bingham fan I see no need for us to stop referring to the Miners' successes. How many times have Bingham's detractors pointed to Skyline's achievements in an effort to minimize those of the Miners? Never mind that Skyline has only advanced past the quarterfinals once, in 2008, in the last 5 years. Skyline fans have every right to be proud of their team's stellar past. Why do people suggest that, as Bingham fans, we do not? If Lone Peak begins enjoying great success will the haters then turn on the Knights?
    I also share your feelings toward players when eliminated from the playoffs. It's happened enough to Bingham that I empathize with them when we win.
    Every student-athlete puts in enough work to merit respect regardless of sport or team.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

yankees27

Sorry the great accomplishments of a great football program irritate u so much. the LP loss does not erase the past. Bingham is still a tough team to be reckoned with. Is still the reigning state champ. Has back to back championships. Won 31 straight v Utah teams. You may talk of players but clearly don't feel to praise players for doing something that is not easily done. Timpview is down this year compared to the past and i felt bad for them watching them get stomped down in Cali. I knew they were a better team than what they showed there. I remember last season when Bingham knocked out Jordan from the playoffs and saw their QB crying with friends and family. I didn't think boy I am glad they shut them up and they can stop talking all this QB hype now. He was a talented QB and gave Bingham a game. LP won and is the team to beat now. We'll see what happens in November.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Awesome win LP. Now can all the hype about how great Bingham is and not being beaten in Utah, blah, blah, blah....I hope all the talk ends now. The better team won, and Bingham will reload for the playoffs. And the boys will decide it on the field. All the talk by wannabe's doesn't decide anything, the players do, so let them have their moment.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Adida, I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that your comment was hateful. I agree that it would be funny to see someone other than Bingham and Lone Peak playing in the state championship, at least for those who aren't fans of either school. I was referring to those who wrote how they love seeing Bingham lose and how much they hate Bingham and Bingham fans for simply supporting the Miners. You're one of the people I was thinking about when I wrote about people rising above the mean and petty. The next comment after yours is exactly what I'm talking about.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Doug Whitmore or less:
    Did you read anything you just typed? If that isn't the perfect definition of a hater then please elaborate on what is. BT and Bingham fans can't have an opinion but you sure can is that how it goes? Well sorry to inform that we can have our opinions just as much as you can hate on Bingham. We have all accepted the loss and that LP has an outstanding QB that not many high schools are going to stop. Let alone many colleges once he steps up to the big league. Like BT said all of us Bingham fans still woke up the next morning realizing Bingham will destroy AF, Lehi and PG and then we will see what they got come playoff time. If anyone thinks they will struggle with those remaining opponents think again. PG just got blown out by Riverton. Lehi not a chance. AF meh they lost to Cottonwood and C Hills. They unfortunately will get a very angry and fired up Miner team looking to make a statement.

• ohIknow Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:21 a.m.

No Hansen No Way.

The Cave-Knight is the team, without him LP is average.

LP make sure you put UHSAA Board of Appeals name on your trophy.

They deserve as much credit as anyone for your success.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 7:15 a.m.

I hope Wynn didn't see that game. He would probably be worried about losing his starting role to a Freshman next season.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:54 p.m.

All is good at my home!

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:51 p.m.

Good luck to Mr.Chase Hansen, Dont get me wrong ute fans, as I like the utes as well. But from what I am watching this year with the Utes and Wynn,IMO Hansen could easily of started this year for utah...its good to see great young men do so well and be able to take their talents to the next level,I look foward to watching you play for the Utes, when you return from your mission.May Heavenly Father bless you and your family in all you do....!!

Please dont go on a mission as a QB and return to become a LB...!!! You know there going to feed you well out in the field....!!

Congrats again to LP..!!

and LETS GO JD..

• Doug Whitmore salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:51 p.m.

no worries. ADIDAS, if you don't agree with BT1984 that the Miners are better than the Dallas Cowboys, then you are a hater. If you like someone other than Bingham, then you are a Bingham hater. We are all supposed to agree with BT1984 on everything, we are all supposed to agree that Bingham has the hardest schedule, works harder than anyone, is the #1 team in the State. Now, my favroite... acting like it is all good after that beat down from LP.

• ADIDAS Tooele County, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:38 p.m.

BT1984

I'm not trying to be a hater if that's what you think.. I think it's awesome what Bingham has done in the last few years and I think it's awesome that Lone Peak has turned their football around and beat Bingham. There's just been so much focus on these two teams, Alta at the first of the season. And like I said before I just think it would be funny if they both didn't make it.

Go high school football! So exciting every single weekend!

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Yes Adidas, that would be funny. What's funnier still is the haters.
    Bingham lost a game to a Utah team at home. Life goes on. The sun came up this morning, Bingham High School didn't collapse in a cloud of dust and the Miners are preparing for the trip to American Fork next week. I think the Miners will come home with a win.
    I'd just like to encourage Bingham fans to ignore the haters.
    Let them prattle on about whatever they like and rise above it.
    To those of you like Altadad, who rise above the mean and petty, thank you.
    Good luck Miners, get healthy.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 5:34 p.m.

In all fairness, having 8 starters out is enough to disrupt any offense and require some hefty adjustments. With that said, I've heard a lot if talk about Bingham's depth, so that should have been possible. Bingham's Coach Peck is one of the best coaches in the state, so if anyone could have made those adjustments and still enabled his team to execute it would have been him. LP was simply too much for Bingham this year. Hopefully Alta won't give Bingham a chance at redemption in the Playoffs!

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Chase Hansen is a better QB than Jake Heeps right now...now I wonder if he knows about Utah not honoring the Sabbath...he might change his mind and come to the Y? That was the best football game I've seen this year.

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Aleman and Brown are nice guys. But they are riding on past history and must pay to have to do the games. If htey are collecting a paycheck, KJAZZ needs new Management.

A for effort. But they are horrible.

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Like I said two weeks ago, and was blasted for saying it.... Lone Peak should be #1 in the state. Bingham's blowout loss out of state showed that they are not the same Bingham as last year. After that loss, Lone Peak deserved to be #1 based on THIS year. Last night was Lone Peak's way of proving what I was saying all along.

• ADIDAS Tooele County, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 3:44 p.m.

After all this arguing, fighting, and drama... wouldn't it be funny if Lone Poak or Bingham didn't even make it to the championship! Go underdogs!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Are you paying attention? Chase Hansen has grown up in the shadow of BYU and is committed to Utah as well as going on a mission. Go Utes!!

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 2:17 p.m.

As we all pay homage to Hansen, I wonder how good he would be if the UHSAA had simply done the right thing and made him stay at AF. The 5A landscape would look very different right now. How would Hansen look at AF????

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 1:30 p.m.

plyxply: Totally agree! Alema is HORRIBLE! You would think the guy never played a down in his life if you didn't know better.

• Proud Auntie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 1:30 p.m.

I am soooo glad that the game is on film. Watch the replay guys! That hit was nothing but shoulder to chest. Textbook tackle.

Bottom line.... It was a GREAT game and the Knights came out on top.

I say.... "lets just be happy that our state has AMAZING talent and lets enjoy watching, cheering, and supporting these young men who play with all their heart!"

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 1:14 p.m.

just a thought, anyone who has to quote the announcers from the game last night to back up their point are as lost as the announcers themselves. Steve Brown and Alema are poor at best when announcing, saying some of the most ridiculous things ever because they don't have a clear thought to draw from.
    It's really a poor reflection on KJZZ that they have to use those two. Use the kid from the Comcast game last week who called the Alta game, at least he sounded like he had intelligent comments and insight. Horrible announcing on all of the KJZZ games this year, can't we find anyone else?

• AltaDad Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Jaka rus - What i meant to say about the Miners trying to run over LP was, it started out seeming to be a 1 dimensional offens. #24 for 15 carries to 2 passes. Granted that worked, but running a kid that much get a kid tired, and then you techniques break down and thats when you are open to injury. Believe me, i know. there may not be a defense in the state that can stop # 24. At the same time, there may not be a defense that can stop Chase Hansen either. Man that kid is good. I disagree with earlier comment, the score reflected the game. There were plenty of LP passes dropped. Fun Game, now LP is #1 until a team can knock them off.

• LP Fan Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Not sure having 6 different receivers to to throw to, and having a quarterback that can run the ball every bit as well as he passes the ball...if not better is necessarily one dimensional. Also pay attention to the speed and agility of the receivers after the catches. Yes LP has a passing offense under Hansen, however they have run the ball well against other teams as well. How has Binghams passing game been all year? How many other runningbacks can they go to...that A one dimension team in my opinion is where you have no other options. LP has plenty of options as well as a great #2 at quarterback in Shumway.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Score board today state playoffs will be the story to tell. LP is for very very real, Hansen finds ways to win, he moves in and around defenses with journeymen poise this stuff can not be taught you have it or you don't. The UofU is getting a great kid, he should help local recruiting for the 2012-2013 in state talent when the Utes hit the post season recruiting circuit.

• BobbyW Wasatch/Heber, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:36 p.m.

I can only imagine how good Chase Hanson could be if he had a decent O-line and few receiver that did not drop so many of his passes.

Great win Chase Hanson... Hanson is a great player. I honestly saw a bunch more Chase Hansons LP recievers drop a bunch more of his passes that should have been caught.

Chase Hanson totally won that game all by himself.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:22 p.m.

Not sure what in any of my comments are excuses for why they lost, I never said anything suggesting that. Try and tell me about any team that loses the main strength of their team but doesn't lose a beat. Hansen goes down and LP is what?(which I sincerely hope he stays healthy all year, special kid, special player. Fun to watch)

And you talk of one dimensional, well can LP be more one dimensional? Do they have any run game at all? No because they have a phenom at QB so theres no need to. But what happens if Hansen goes down. LP would be done. the very few times LP tried to run they were stuffed for losses. LP was the better team in the end but don't try to make it seem like they were blowing out Bingham all game long. 24-21 in the 3rd quarter. Once Bingham became one dimensional passing that is when they were done in.

Sportfanatic Bingham did get hit in the mouth on the first play yes but they didn't recover? So taking the ball straight down the field and scoring is not recovering?

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:18 p.m.

What a great game, Lone Peak Knights you are the best team in the state!

I will say it again this is not the Bingham of years past. Palepoi is a stud and has matured into an awesome player and Danny is a good kid too. I call him "Danny" because thats what we called him when he was playing football for Copper Hills. I was unaware his family had moved.

Pecks arrogance betrayed him last night, between going for it on 4th down early in the game to handing the ball to Danny every play he made himself and his team look very one dimensional. Memo to Bingham fan, if you and your Coaching Staff are relying on one guy to get you to a State Championship be worried, be very worried.

The Lone Peak Coaching Staff clearly studied their films and as a result formulated a fantastic game plan. I can't say the same for Bingham.

This is a good loss for the Miners, it brought them to reality and although I dont see them getting past LP or Alta in the play off's, they will be out for blood and that makes them very dangerous.

• baseball junkie Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:03 p.m.

I am pretty sure the late flag on that play was prompted by the taunting by the DB that hit him...the chest thumping as he walked by looking at him. The hit was clean and in the chest. There were hard hits all over that game, definately a few bells were rung!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Sportfanatic: So you saw the same call made then against Bingham on the LP receiver where he didn't hit him in the head right? Nobody from Bingham on this board is saying anything about an excuse. Everybody from Bingham on here has said they were beat, straight up. Quit trying to conjure up something that hasn't been said!

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:47 a.m.

The miners were too stuck when they had to pass the ball. Lail is a better baseball player than he is a QB. I do think the miners will be there at the end because of their staff who will make the changes that need to made for the tourney. But they can't consistently run the ball against everyone. Maybe some spread offense at times would open things up a little. Congrats to the Knights.

• Sportfanatic West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:32 a.m.

@jarka-rus

Also, tosya that up until the time where #24 went out, that bingham was the better team? Really! Bingham got hit in the mouth from the very first play from scrimmage, and never recovered. they were way to one deminsional last night with a running back that got worn out. By the time the big hit on him took place, he was tired. Even Elema Harrinton commented to he fact that bingham had to get someone else involved in the game, and that #24 couldn't carry them much longer on his own. Bingham got worked over by a much better, more hungrier team last night. Oh, and by the way, I'm an Alta fans who always roots for bingham to do well, so that the Black and Blue rivalry will continue. looks like Lone Peak had other plans last night. Chase Hansen is a stud, and I don't even think Alta can stop that kid. He's that good. Qiut making excuses as to why Bingham lost, and just simply accept the fact that lone Peak is a better team right now. Bingham needs to not rely on #24 as much if they're going to repeat.

• Sportfanatic West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:26 a.m.

@jarka-rus

what game were you watching? Not 1 of the four big hit in question were illegal. Even the announcers were saying it. the play where #24 went out, if you watched the replay like all the rest of us did, He clearly is hit in the chest with a shoulder pad. #24 was way up in the air trying to catch an errant pass from Leil, his chest was above the head of the defender, and while coming back tpo earth, the Lone Peak defender hit im in the chest with a shoulder pad. Nothing illegal about that play. and then it was several seconds after the play was over, and #24 was very slow to get up, that you see a yellow flag come into play. Lame call from a referee that was way to far away to make the correct call. Video replay showed it. There was at 1 point when another Bingham player got layed out, and the announcers were saying that the Bingham staff was goiing nuts and complaining to the refs that there were illegal hits to the head being done. again, video replay prved it wrong. Lame excuses!

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Props to LP for a great game. Humphries doesn't get much credit on these boards but hauled in a bunch of passes. Way to go Conner and LP Knights!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Geeber, I agree with your last post. But Alta didn't stop Daniel. He still had about 120 yards in that game I believe.

• Big Rod South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Offense wins games. A Great Defense wins Championships. Bingham had neither of the necessary ingredients last night. Congratulations to LP for leaving no doubt who is the #1 team in Utah.
    I can't wait to see Chase Hansen wearing the Utah red and destroying the PAC 12 opponents.

• Geeber South Jordan, utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:47 a.m.

I think every coach knows that to stop Bingham you stop Daniel. To stop Lone peak you stop Chase. 2 teams this year have stopped Daniel, Alta and Lone Peak. Bingham was able to score late to beat Alta but had no way to stop Chase. After watching Chase play I am not sure anyone in Utah can. He is quick, agile and makes great decisions with the ball, throws it away, makes a great pass on the run or he runs it very well. When Bingham had LB's in he threw it. When they put in extra DB's he ran for big yards of the right side. Good luck to everyone trying to stop this kid!! As a Bingham fan all I can say is WOW.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:44 a.m.

The safety play for Bingham is what really bothered me. It wasn't so much the DB's, it was more the plays in the deep middle. I know you don't want to let anything behind you, but man, you need to come up and fill the middle about 20 yards down the field better than they did last night. I also know the kid can run, but when the put pressure on him, he did seem to be a bit more off target with his throws. But for most the night they were content with just rushing 3 down lineman. Thought they should have mixed more blitz's in on him personally. But still, that kid was on fire last night!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:39 a.m.

okay calm down everybody, I already owned up to the fact that LP was the better team with Hansen and won the game handily, my point was "up to that point" If Palepoi doesn't go down what makes you think they would have stopped Bingham from scoring again before the half? Like Hansen, he was running by, around and over people all during the first half. So the comment was made that the head to head hit on him his was fair. So why did the refs throw the flag?
    Prepsportsfan, wow really? Bingham's done? ahahaaaaa AF, Lehi and PG pose no real challenge. We'll see who will be done come playoff time. Oh and Bingham already got by Alta remember? its surprising how your hate filled comments got posted in the first place but after knowing these smug coaches as you call them for the past 10-20 years now, you obviously don't know any of them. And Palepoi is plenty durable to carry the load for the Miners. Let's get it straight people, it wasn't the amount of carries that took him out it was the illegal hit as flagged by the refs.

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:38 a.m.

@bslack
    "Lone Peak is a very good team, but needs to play more consistently in order to win the title."

How does LP need to play more consistantly to win State? They are undefeated and have scored more than 40 points in 6 of there 7 wins, so im not sure I follow your comment.

• The53 TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:29 a.m.

As soon as their running back went out I knew the excuses were going to start. While I think the score would have been closer I believe the end result would have been the same. Hansen was just too good. Binghams strength on D is upfront, and even when they got the pressure on Hansen he was still able to make plays. Bingham will still make a run in the playoffs, but if it comes down to a re-match my bet would still be on the Knights. Time to get ready for some other good games tonight.

• UtAhUtEsSp0rTs Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I have no clue about the 8 players being out. I highly doubt that that was an accurate statement. Just someone trying to blow off steam, either way even with those 8 starters playing Chase Hansen still would have been able to win the game. He was playing extremely well and I will not be one to make excuses, Bingham GOT BEAT and that is a fact. There are no excuses, they got beat fair and square. Bingham was playing a lot better with Daniel in there but even if he was in the second half I still think Lone Peak beats them by at least 7. Bingham was taking a lot of time off the clock when they had the ball and were pounding it down the middle, but they couldn't come up with a way to stop Chase Hansen's passing. The game last night was closer than the final score indicated but Lone Peak scored on almost every drive, not very many teams win games when they allow the other team to score every time.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:21 a.m.

The great thing about Lone Peak is that they have unquestionably the most dominant player in the state (Chase Hansen), and maybe the second best QB/Athlete in Talon Shumway (still recovering from summer injury). During his sophomore year last year while Hansen sat a few games, Shumway lit up Brighton and another team with his arm and legs (including that ridiculous front flip into the end zone on youtube). If Hansen goes down to an injury, LP knows they can keep competing for the championship.

• bslack Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:06 a.m.

I have watched Chase Hansen play twice this year and he is a stud and the real deal. Utah received a very good qb for the future. Lone Peak is a very good team, but needs to play more consistently in order to win the title. Chase needs the other players to step up like tonight and they have a chance.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Man that Hansen kid is the real deal! Great game LP! No excuses from this Miner fan at all. Losing our RB in the 2nd half hurt, but we couldn't stop the pass, so not sure it would have mattered. I think the Miners coaches will learn something about this one. I think they rushed only 3 guys way too often in my opinion. But great win LP, you showed you do belong and sold this guy on your team this year!

• Geeber South Jordan, utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Good game but Bingham had no answear for Lone Peaks passing attack. If Bingham is going to go far in the playoffs they need help in the DB section. Offense needs to learn how to move the ball without relying on Daniel for every carry. Chase is truely a gifted athlete and I think he will excel in whatever position you put him in. No excuses Bingham lost to a better team. Lone peak made plays and Bingham didn't. Good luck on the rest of the season for the Knights and hope to see you again this year.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:53 a.m.

WOW,

what does the 8 players out have to do with Binghams loss? Why all the excuses? Chase Hansen is a stud, and still would have pull of the win..Utah has a great QB heading there way. Way to play LP you are for real..Dont worry about the 8 starters not playing excuse,the way you all played last night, I dont think any team on thier best day couldve have beaten you. matter of fact, I think after watching you play as a team last night, you wouldve have given that OL team from cali a better game then bingham did..Good luck with the rest of your season LP..

and to my JD EAGLES...GOOD LUCK TONIGHT have a great Homecoming..!!

• LP suppporter Lehi, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Re:jarka-rus
    What game were you watching? When #24( Palepoi) went out LP was up 21-17! And no Bingham was clearly not the better team. Look at the replays he was hit hard, but fair. In fact by the end of the game the Bingham receivers did not want to go across the middle(ask Cantwell). Bingham is a very, very good football team. Well coached,disciplined and physical. Last night they ran into a team that appeared to be hungrier and more determined. Speed vs size and speed won. For one night LP was the better team period. Two plays told it all Hansen's 4th qtr scramble and long 50+ yard pass to Humphries who went and got the pass from two defenders and scored and Buck's interception near the end of the game said it all. Buck wanted the ball more than the reciver did and he just took it away from him and then he would not go down. Who knows what will happen in Nov, but last night we saw currently the best team in the state and in isn't Bingham.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:48 a.m.

props to Chase Hansen, he is an awesome player to watch, and if he keeps it up should be the 5A mvp.
    Bingham is a very good team when they take care of the ball like they did against Alta, but when they start turning it over it gets ugly. They played a similar game against Orange Lutheran where they moved the ball but kept turning it over and put the defense in difficult situations.
    As I've said before what makes LP so tough is both the way Hansen can throw it, but moreso how effective he is running the ball. It's impossible to load the box up and take away the run game because he'll kill you in the air, then if you drop 6 into coverage he'll run all over you.
    Congrats to LP on a huge win.

• baseball junkie Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Jarka-rus..It was clear up until #24 went out that Bingham was the better team.

I believe, LP was already winning at that point, and just as much as LP stuggled stopping #24, Bingham wasn't stopping the LP Passing attack. In my opinion LP's multiple reciever core, as well as Hansens ability to run the ball when they weren't open would have won out vs a one man run crew. Pretty tough to keep that up for an entire game. LP was starting to get to him and make adjustments already. LP was the better team al the way around, No denying that. Also I remember no body thought LP could keep up with Binghams dedicated Offense and Defense, no two way players...I guess LP blew that theory out fo the water as well...Not much else to say except Congrats LP, "Nay sayers" exit stage left...So much for the experts!

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:44 a.m.

tough exciting game to say the least. Biggest problems I saw were lack of options for Bingham and getting frustrated and making mistakes. Once Paleopi went out it seems like things came unhinged. Then I started thinking, the only three names I really hear about at Bingham are Paleopi, Lail, and your go to reciever (ironically I cant think of his name right now) I think Bingham is a great team but would have won if they weren't so reliant on three playmakers. I would like to see Alta, Bingham, Jordan and LP all in the semis. I think Jordan would do well as well as Alta where they aren't so dependant solely on the run. I think Bingham still has a great shot at the trophy but it looks like it could be a tight 4 way race. Hope Hansen does well at the U!

• Basketball Orem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:33 a.m.

@jarka-rus

wait, it was clear up until the point he went out that Bingham was the better team? What? What game did you watch. Lets recap this, LP was up 21-14 when #24 got hit and injured. He didn't come back out after halftime, when LP was still winning. So tell me who the better team was at that point again? And Bingham was going to have to start passing the ball at some point to try and keep up with the LP offense. To beat LP, you are going to have to score at least 35, cause no one is holding them under that.

• ironrod Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:30 a.m.

I'm curious who the 8 "starters" are. I've watched 4 Bingham games this year and I didn't see ANY starters that did not play last night.
    Name the "8".

• UtahPrepsports American Fork, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:28 a.m.

I'm from AF but I love Chase Hansen! Good game last night! Always fun to watch, Go Utes!

• Doug Whitmore salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:24 a.m.

jarka-rus. You can guarantee that I would not have been on here had LP lost? Really? LOL. Well, I guess we will never know, since they did not lose. I am really not a LP fan. Frankly, I am just a sports fan. I have followed HS football since moving here in 2003. I have even been to several Bingham games every year since 2004. I have also driven up to Davis Co for games, seen Alta, TV, CW, Jordan several times. I go to 1 HS game every Friday in the fall. I watched this year's Bingham team and being objective, I knew this team was BY FAR the weakest Bingham team since 03. LP has hyped their team for years and they never lived up to the hype. I watched them play Highland and knew they were legit. I also looked at Bingham's O-line and knew for a fact it was the smallest, weakest Bingham line in 8 years. Go ask the coaches, I bet they knew it. Bingham still has a shot and could end up wining State, but for all the talk from a few Bingham fans, I think I had had enough.

• Proud Auntie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Wow what a game, my heart is still beating a mile a minute! Lone Peak played with so much heart. Chase Hansen, WOW this young man was born to lead.

I am so impressed with both Lone Peak and Bingham for the way they played such a clean game and showed nothing but respect for one another. Simply outstanding.

I cant wait to see more amazing football. Woot-woot!

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:13 a.m.

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Loved seeing the faces of the smug and arrogant Miners coaches, players and fans last night as their boys got destroyed on their own turf. Especially loved watching Dave Peck come unraveled. That was fun!

This will only energize other teams who will face Bingham. I can't see the Miners getting past Alta in the Semi's with their one dimensional game. Palepoi can only do so much as we saw last night. Bingham ran him 13 of the first 15 plays. Its no wonder he couldn't finish. Bingham is riding that kid way too hard. You're done! Let it sink in and deal with it.

• AF AF, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Wow! Who would have thought. Utes hit gold on that kid! My favorite line from the broadcast. "Hansen started his career at AF, but transferred to LP after they change coaches and offenses." Couldn't be a more true statement. Speaks volumes of our transfer rules.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:00 a.m.

It was clear up until #24 went out that Bingham was the better team, No Altadad running him didn't put him out of the gamed it was a blow to the head by two players that did that. But as much as Bingham's D couldn't stop Hansen, LP's D was doing nothing to stop Bingham's ground game. Once they had to start passing which is not their strength. The complexion of the game changed. I said it all along that Hansen was legit, it was fun seeing him live. Not much any D is gonna do against a guy that just plain makes big plays. He avoided about 8 tackles on that one 3rd and 5 scramble late in the game that was huge. But a healthy Miner team come playoffs will still be one of the favorites to win it all.

• Officer Coolguy Highland, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Being a Lone Peak fan, I hate to admit that it hurts that Chase Hansen chose the Utes. I would advise my cougar brothers to stop with this "he only went to utah because he wouldn't play at BYU...." nonsense.

But, Lone Peak has always been good to us cougars. That receiver tahts coming our way is a great player. Can't wait for basketball season!

Go Knights! Go Cougars!

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Hansen is holding a press conference at Iggy's tonight to announce that he's going to lead Utah to 4 Rose Bowls. Oh wait, no. he wouldn't do such a thing that's now how Utah does things. it just goes out and plays hard and does their talking on the field, not before the season, and for sure not by it's high school recruits.

• BinghamMiners Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:44 a.m.

I am a Bingham Miner through and through but I must say that getting beat by Lone Peak with Chase Hansen leading the way was not such a bad thing. Chase Hansen is for real and completely dominated Binghams defense who hasn't lost and in State game for 31 games. Chase is a man playing among boys, he avoided sacks, ran over the top of people, ran right by people, passed on the run, and he made the key plays that he needed to! He was very exciting to watch! I also give props to the receivers for finding a way to get open every play as well! Congrats to Lone Peak, hopefully Bingham sees you in the finals and gets another shot at winning! It was close until that fumble on Binghams own 20, after that Lone Peak took advantage of every opportunity to score. They were very classy in kneeing the ball four times at the end. Good luck Bingham the rest of the year! And good luck to Chase Hansen!

• SLCBOY Moodys, OK
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Highland was the only team that could hang with LP for 3 Quarters. Congrats LP, Hope you get that trophy in November.

• Realist Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:37 a.m.

I have seen 3 LP games this year, hands down that Hansen kid is the best HS football player I have ever seen in Utah.

• Football881 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Im with lp fan it was definitly closer than the score indicated. Lp got 3 turnovers and bingham deopped 3 picks. That was the difference in the game. Bingham does have a lot of injuries before and during that game, but no excuses. Lp came in and won that game. Cant wait for the rematch!

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:28 a.m.

I wasn't making excuses by saying they had 8 starters, Just saying they need to get healthy. LP came in and won that game no doubt about it. Bingham didn't make the plays when they had the opportunity and LP did.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Doug

Nope no excuses I'm still here, I admit the better team won last night but Bingham's season is hardly done in. I guarantee you wouldn't be on here if LP had lost. I can backup my comments. Bingham will crush AF, Lehi and PG. We'll see come playoff time who rises to the top.

• flyfishne22 SANDY, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:22 a.m.

Just like Bingham fans to make excuses ( 8 starters out ) just admit it you were outplayed in every aspect of the game and were beat by a better team. Chase Hansen is the best Quarterback this state has seen in a very long time.

• clintharris Saint George, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Jewishcougar,
    Totally agree on the sting of his choice to go to the U. However, even though I am a BYU fan, if he were my son I would have to counsel him to go where he could compete for a spot, like Jordan Wynn did. Granted, Wynn doesn't have the best throwing motion, but he came into the program and worked on his size, strength and athleticism and earned a spot.
    This kid is already very impressive in all these areas but so will others be at the D1 level. He at least will get the opportunity to compete to play at the U.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:13 a.m.

Hansen is amazing! And I'm sure that he's being made to look this good by an equally amazing offense and defense. I thought they may be the ones to end Bingham's impressive reign. I hope Alta gets a crack at them in the playoffs... I don't know if they'll fair any better than Bingham, but I would love it if they get the opportunity. And I can't wait to see Hansen playing for the U of U. Go Utes! And Hansen, you stay healthy until then.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Since Bingham seems to be BYU's JV team, it clarifies why many don't seem to be able to give Lone Peak their props for pounding the Miners. "We had 8 starters out", "LP was lucky", blah blah, blah.

Bottom line, on this night at least, LP was the better team. Perhaps in November Bingham will be able to prove otherwise, but for now the issue of who's number one is clearly settled. Much the same as 54-10 settles things for this year.

And, congratulations to Tony McGeary, who has put together a great game plan on offense and defense for the Knights. Nice going Tony!

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:56 a.m.

I have no alligences to either team so with that I give a resounding "High Five" to Lone Peak!!!!!

• AH C'MON South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:56 a.m.

That Hansen kid was on fire. Its always good to see a player dominate like he did and be humble at the same time. LP defensive backs were great too. Bingham was banged up with a lot of injuries and handled adversity very well. More importantly this lost will prepare Bingham to make a good comeback for the rest of the season to redeem themselves in a rematch for the State Championship title. For now its Lone Peaks turn to carry the torch. We'll see for how long. Go Bingham!!!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:47 a.m.

LP is very good. I'm glad the qb will a Ute. My miners are vulnerable to the pass. Ouch!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Congrats LP, Hansen is a stud, not much you can do when he throws up the ball and the DB's can't make the play. Binham's D was solid and got pressure on Hansen but he made big plays.

Altadad. running Daniel didn't cost him the game, it was the head to head hit that took him out. In the locker room he felt nauseous and was a little wobbly on his feet, concussion most likely.
    Bingham took one on the chin last night but losing the strength of their offense was huge. They were dominating the line of scrimmage until they had to start throwing. Aside from Cantwell there are not a lot of weapons for Lail to pick from. Great game though. Bingham's season isn't over because of one loss. Bingham WILL be there in the playoffs ready to make another run. Besides Alta and LP, I don't see a lot of other teams that will take them behind the woodshed.

• JewishCougar Murray, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:17 a.m.

It still stings that Hansen decided to pick Utah over BYU... Utah, you got a good recruit.

• Doug Whitmore salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:10 a.m.

How could this happen? binghamalum, BT1984, Gunner, Football881, jarka-rus can you help us all understand how this could possibly happen? Please come back on here like you all promised. LOL. I can't wait to hear the excuses.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:10 a.m.

First time I've watched a HS game in years. Hansen is an athlete and the Utes are going to see big dividends in him wherever he plays on the field.

• Golden Helmet Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 7:00 a.m.

Good work LP. Starters missing or not, you executed a great game plan!

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 6:18 a.m.

That was impressive. I'm glad we have five divisions in Utah. That looked like a college team out there. Good job LP!

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 2:40 a.m.

What a fun game to watch!!! and i think it was alot closer then the score indicated. But at the same time no. We had less mistakes. And played better D. but boy i must say it was nice too see this team lose. But not in a mean way. Great job Bingham you are a great team and still will be great.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 1:15 a.m.

Great game lone peak your O looked in sync all night. Now Bingham needs to get healthy, I heard they had 8 starters out for tonights game.

• SammyG Child ALTAMONT, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:29 a.m.

Great recruit for the Utes. Good to have you chase!

• bigtimeute25 WEST JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:27 a.m.

I can honestly say watching bingham get routed was a blast this evening..

• AltaDad Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 12:18 a.m.

I Stand corrected. LP is for real, and they deserve the number 1 ranking. And Chase Hansen is for real. That was a fun game to watch. Bingham showed early on that they were try to run over LP all game, and it cost them a running back. LP's Hansen can throw with the best of them, and run better than most.