Sports

BYU football: Aggie rematch will reveal much about Cougars' actual progress

Comments

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Lets go Aggies and UTES this weekend!!!

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 6:33 a.m.

Let's go Cougars! I love what Andersen has done for USU football. They did well when they got him at the reins of the program. Judging by how well USU has played so far this year, and how BYU has stunk, it ought to be another good game. I'm happy for the Aggies and look forward to keeping this rivalry going. Too bad the Aggies have punked the Utes and they don't seem to be too interested in playing them. Kind of shows you which colleges have class and which one's.... well, don't.

I'm calling it BYU 17, USU 10. Hopefully it won't be the other way around.

• onewhoknows Providence, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 6:40 a.m.

So I guess the Y players and coaches like to play USU every year as long as most years they play in Provo seeing as how 4 of the next 5 games are there.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 6:44 a.m.

I expect the future rivalry to be between Weber State and BYU with both schools trading victories each year. The new offense at BYU is not good enough to beat USU or Utah anymore...they have a horrible quaterback who is overhyped and afraid to get hit.

Looking forward to the new Weber State BYU rivalry...go Wildcats!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 27, 2011 7:34 a.m.

Let's just hope the Aggies can't turn the corner, figuratively or literally, Friday night.

Go Cougs!

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 8:21 a.m.

BYU will have 4 turnovers and Utah State will capitalize showing they are the better team. The final score will be...
    Utah State 34
    BYU 21

Jake Heaps will say "if it weren't for the turnovers the game would have been much different." Bronco Mendenhall will then say the "better team lost tonight."
    USU fans will then truly understand why Utah fans dislike BYU so much....

Funny how it's so easy to predict BYU isn't it??

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 8:41 a.m.

one who does not know;
    Either you have been under a rock for the last year or you choose to not accept the facts. USU gets big $$ for playing in Provo in return for a short bus ride. Many USU fans can make a 2 hour trip to see their team play "locally". USU needs all the $$ they can get. BYU needs home games as an independent. USU is emerging as a solid team and looks to get better over time. This adds credibility to BYU's schedule.
    It is a win - win situation for both teams. I don't hear either of them complaining about it. Why do you feel the need to?

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    Sept. 27, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Aggies will win.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Neither BYU nor USU are playing well. USU losing to an ordinary CSU team in OT at home clearly shows that. BYU by the same token eeked out by timely special teams plays a victory over a going nowhere CFU outfit. This game will probably showcase again BYU's lack of offense. The more serious situation for BYU is having to schedule lackluster Idaho and Idaho State teams. And what about San Jose State? What's that? And then at the end of the season, go to Hawaii and probably show us another adventure by losing that game as well. I am not happy with the excuses and lack of team performance, picking up from last year's near debacle; huge losses to TCU and USU as it happened. I see a definite lack of team recruiting and getting athletes to play at the Division I level. I really think there is a problem in Provo with the football program. And why can't we get an upgrade on the stadium? Complete the oval, or redesign it? It is out of date for a first class program.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:06 a.m.

niners,

First off, I find it ironic that your name has a value higher than the number of conference championships that Utah won while in the same football conference as BYU..... can you say owned?

Secondly, your BYU hate-filled drivel is out of place in a BYU-USU article.

And lastly, to all the USU fans, as a BYU fan, I'm looking forward to the football games between the two schools. True, USU benefits financially more when it's played at LES than in Logan, but that's just simple economics. At the rate Andersen is improving your exposure and increasing the value of the football team, it won't be long until Logan get's an addition to their football stadium. (Which will be a welcome moment.) Until then, I am excited for what's happening with Aggie football and hope the rivalry is continued for a long time.

Much respect.....

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:10 a.m.

BYU has not progressed. Wake me up when they do. Why are there articles about this? Is it not blatantly obvious?

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Obviously all the pressure is on BYU. Back to back losses to the Aggies would be devastating. If the Aggies happen to win it will "make" their season... again.

If the Cougars play as well as they did against UCF or better, they win. Here's to hoping the team skips their pre-game crisco sandwiches.

Go Cougs!!!

• coachcarter West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:27 a.m.

PeteInTexas,

You need to get out from under that Texas son man. Utah announced earlier this year a 4 game series between Utah/Utah State with 2 at RES and 2 at Logan. Meanwhile, BYU announced a 3 game series with 2 at LES and 1 in Logan. Tell me, which is more classy?

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:54 a.m.

USU should be the favorite in this game. They have better coaching, they have much better quarterback play, and they have a significantly better run game than BYU does.
    No doubt Aggie fans will be celebrating back to back victories over their pals down south and Jake Heaps will be the answer to the trivia question - Who was the only BYU quarterback to lose back to back games to Utah State since before LaVell was coaching?
    Roscoe Mendenhall will once again be searching for answers, I wonder if he'll fire his DC again this year after the loss?

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 10:24 a.m.

My bad coachcarter,

I guess I didn't realize Utah had scheduled USU this year. Let's see, that game is played on.......? (crickets chirping)

Oh, I'm sorry. I forget the Ute fans don't remember their rants last year after joining the PAC 12. I seem to remember they wouldn't schedule USU at the time. Apparently, all is forgiven though. Glad to see ya'll stepped up to the plate and recognized the other universities in your state and deemed them worthy opponents in your mighty schedule. (Or it could've been the myriad of articles written in the Utah newspapers shaming the Utes for having such an inflated ego and thinking somehow they're mightier than everone else because they got accepted behind Colorado.) Classy....

Must've been the Texas sun.....

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Pete do your homework, Utah pulled out of playing USU not the other way around. GO AGGIES!

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 10:31 a.m.

I have to say, BYU is still down (especially on offense) compared to years past, but USU lost to CSU at home. And after beating BYU last year, USU still blew the rest of their season.

I think USU might be on the rise, but other than scaring a BCS team early in the season every year, they still have not shown they are at a new level. They have beaten BYU 1 or 2 times out of every 10 games - I wouldn't get too worked up about things just yet. Should be a good game, but BYU likely wins it.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Sport Nutz... re-read my posts. I know.....

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:20 a.m.

GoUtess. Go Huskies and COUGARS this weekend!!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Pete in Texas:

"niners...I find it ironic that your name has a value higher than the number of conference championships that Utah won while in the same football conference as BYU..... can you say owned?"

Can YOU? Utah has 24 Football conference championships while members of the same conference as the Y. That's more than the cougars.

And for the record, Utah State sought to ease up on their schedules, while simultaneously, Utah sought to fill one of Notre Dame's open dates, so we agreed to postpone our 2010 game. Once Utah was Fully Invited to the Pac-12, this created additional scheduling conflicts as Utah would now be restricted to only 3 OOC games. Of COURSE Bronco would like to continue their series with USU. The cougars need all the games they can get.

I would hope to see the Utes maintain our rivalry with the Aggies, but I don't want to see both USU and the cougars on our schedule in the same year. Too many games played in Utah hurts our out-of-state recruiting. I would prefer playing the cougars on odd years, and the Aggies on the even ones.

Go Aggies!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:45 a.m.

WOW! Roscoe thinks the beatdown they got last year up in Logan was about 5 years ago. He is that arrogant to think that it really didnt happen, or has to make himself thing that it was longer ago than it really was. Roscoe, it was last year, you lost. Your team really is no different from last year, and Gary said as much on the radio. He is not worried about St Jake, or your running game, & he knows that your D has trouble with fast and mobile QB's. Plus, if your D gives up again like they did against the UTES, Turbin will have a field day with your D, and rush for more than 150 yards. Maybe even 200 plus. If I were Roscoe, I would be scared. Maybe if they lose again right after the game he can say, did we just lose? That loss seems like 10 years ago now. I should go fire my offensive and defensive coaches. Oh wait, one of those is me. My bad.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Interesting how some of the fans are saying that USU stunk it up last weekend by losing to CSU. Yet these same BYU fans are the ones talking about how the BYU-Utah game would have been different if you take out the turnovers. The difference in those two games is how the team reacted. One diluted themselves into thinking they were somehow the better team despite being dominated in every category. The other, which has a valid argument for being the better team, but losing because of turnovers, just plugs away and gets ready for the next game.

If some very minor lucky bounces go USU's way, they are 3-0.
    Some very small unlucky bounces don't go the Cougars way and they are 0-4.
    The teams are a lot closer than people think.

If the Aggies step it up on special teams, I think they will pull out the win.

• jazzfan14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Pete in Texas: Does your real name name happen to be Max Hall? We Utes already know we have no class because you told us so after we kicked your trash two years ago. If only the rest of the world could have a fraction of class that you cougars show.

• jazzfan14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Pete in Texas: One more thing. Utah has a pretty full schedule now that they are in the PAC 12. BYU on the other hand has to look for teams to schedule (it's not like schools are beating down your door to play you, despite what you may tell yourself). However, as coachcarter pointed out, Utah has schedule games with USU. Beyond next year however, you may have noticed there are no games scheduled with BYU. We've simply don't have room on our schedule for little BYU.

• manutd Milford, CT
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:00 p.m.

wow even weber state is talking trash now. please. whenever byu has a down year all of a sudden the minnows(utah state/weber state) think they got one over on us. yes they beat us last year but it is still something like twice in 20 years. give me a break. plus its still early in the season. lots of football to be played. things could change, better/worse for byu, utah, or utah state. so lets wait until friday to make a verdict.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:00 p.m.

My bad, Naval Vet. I was only counting the last 4 decades that I've been alive and a football fan where BYU has dominated football in their conference. I guess I didn't factor in the 6 decades previously that most folks on here don't even know about since they weren't born. If you want to include those, I'm pretty positive those were the decades that the PAC 12 took into consideration when they were trying to find one more powerhouse football team to fill that last spot on their roster after inviting Colorado.

My sincere apologies.....

=)

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:16 p.m.

I watched USU play Auburn @ Auburn. USU was the better team and Auburn won on a goofy on - sides kick recovery. BYU is going to get kicked around by USU this year. USU 34 BYU 24. BYU has no offense right now.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:16 p.m.

hahaha manutd you are right. Yes you beat the cogs last year, but USU gets a win every decade or so over BYU and now they are on the road to the NC and OWN byu. Good grief Aggie fans. Your only win this year is over Weber!!! They couldn't finish against Auburn and CSU at home so what does that say about your football team? C'mon get real people. If you come in to LES this year and shellack BYU again then I will be more than happy to hear you gloat but until then pssssshhhhhh.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:20 p.m.

@ pete in Texas

You don't consider the years you weren't alive yet...okay that means everyone 27 and under does not count the 1984 championship* (note the asterisk). That means the whole BYU football team haha

• Mountain Cat Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Heaps is less than ordinary. He either is not aware of that fact or is too smart to admit it.

He is robotic and light years away from an understanding of how to throw a touch pass.

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Naval Vet. Utah has "a lot" more to worry about than out-of-state recruiting when it comes to playing either BYU or USU. However, your preference of an every-other-year game with the two probably is a good suggestion. Then, eventually, we can eliminate the games all-together! No big deal.

Go Huskies!

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Fair enough, Niners,

So if we're gonna tally anything that's happened in our lifetimes, you're gonna have to tally anything the Utes have accomplished the last 2 decades. Uh oh... looks like BYU's STILL got more conference championships than you got.

=)

BTW... that would mean Naval Vet has to disclose his age if he's gonna be able to count the conference championships Utah won pre-1970's.... ante up, amigo.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 12:49 p.m.

@ pete in texas

Its funny you say we can count the last 4 decades, but not the last 5 or 6. Seems kinda random doesn't it. Oh wait, that was the year Lavell showed up. So by your logic you only want to count the years BYU dominated. That was from 1972 to 1992. Lets measure the series since I have been alive how about?
    -the series is 12-9 in Utah's favor.
    -Utah has 2 undefeated seasons to BYU's 0.
    -We have 2 BCS wins to BYU's 0.
    -Utah has won 10 bowl games to BYU's 6.
    -Utah is 10-4 in bowl games, BYU is 6-10-1 in bowl games
    -We are in a BCS conference, BYU is not.
    -Utah has 3 top 10 rankings (1994,2004,2008) to BYU's 1 (1996)
    -We are 7-4 in PROVO.

If you only consider your lifetime, it is only fair that I only consider my lifetime. In my lifetime Utah has DOMINATED! Now do you see what the Pac 12 saw when they were looking for another powerhouse?

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Ha-ha-ha-ha. You Ute trolls on a BYU-USU story are laughable. Don't you have something worthwhile to do, like watch the Utes practice? They'll need it now that they're in such a great conference!

For those with short memories, USU defeated BYU in Provo in 1978. USU was 4 - 0 and after defeating the Y they were 5 - 0 and suddenly nationally ranked. They immediately fell apart, losing the next several games.

This year they have given away two games and are 1 - 2. I'd say thay are right "on track" for being mediocre again, a hallmark of USU football. They lost their opening game to UNLV when the new north endzone building was brand new in the last minute. They beat BYU in 2010 and suddenly they have a "rivalry."

USU-Utah is the real rivalry but Utes have short memories, only remembering how Lavell Edwards creamed them and suddenly they were "sore losers" and "bitter rivals." I look for them to be rivals with Colorado now.

And USU will be rivals with anyone they beat on any given year. Poor souls. By the end of the season they "might" be at .500 - mediocre again.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 1:28 p.m.

LOL @ niners,

So let me understand here.... Utah's been superior to BYU all those years, but couldn't put away more conference championships? Apparently the game Utah has circled on their schedule all those years was BYU and they didn't really care how they performed against the rest of the conference?

What can I say? Apparently ya'll are the superior team. My hats off to you for not caring about any of those trivial "conference" championships. That's pretty petty. Their number one goal for all these years has been to beat BYU. I can only relate back to when I was born in 1971. Since then, BYU and Utah have been in the same football conferences. During that time, BYU has either won outright or shared 22 conference championships. Utah during the same time? 5. Color me impressed. So you've played enough to get to a bowl game, and had energy to spare when it came bowl game time. Clever planning on ya'lls part. I'm not sure beating BYU any year is worth more bragging rights when you can't finish it off and win the conference. I guess Wyoming was too much for ya'll.

Congrats on your BCS bowls. Ya'll rock!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 1:32 p.m.

I was at the game last year and it was a pure thing of beauty. From beginning to end USU dominated both sides of the line. I honestly did not recognize the Aggies. They were amazing. Heaps on the otherhand looked like a deer in the headlights throughout the game.

After Saturday's game I have no clue as to which team shows up in Provo. Here's hoping it is last years team now Turbin-charged. If so the cougs will lose big time. If not it will be a close game and those usually do not end well for my Aggies. Hope it is another entertaining night!

Go Big Blue!!!

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Sept. 27, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Right now the Cougars don't even look like they've played before. It's a horrible thing to watch. At this point I don't care who wins, as long as both teams look like they know how to play. Right now America sees what the BCS conferences preach, "all non BCS conferences are horrible."

Please Cougars, look like you've played before.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 1:33 p.m.

jarkaroo, the "cogs" as you say have done nothing on the year to warrant any worry or respect from any team on their schedule. IF, and yes it's a big IF the "cogs" beat USU on Friday then I will give them credit, but until then the Aggies are the last team to win in this series. GO AGGIES, GO UTES, GO WILDCATS......

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 1:58 p.m.

@niners.

Regarding "head-to-head" competition between BYU & Utah (in football)and counting the last 5 or 6 decades: (whether you count the last 50 years or 60 years) BYU has won more games!

Ironically, you mention Bowl Game wins (Utah 10-4 & BYU 6-10-1) that only indicates that BYU has been to MORE Bowl Games than Utah during the period of time "that you had selected."

So, (really) what is your point in all of this? I suggest that both teams have great traditions and have excellent parity (over time). But you (as many others have) try to select the "best time frame" in history to help you with (some) point. Which is what?

Most BYU fans cognizant of fact that Utah puts a great product on the field (more often than not). I would guess that there are many Utah fans that feel the same way about BYU. Then there are the "no-accounts" (like yourself) on both sides of the coin that respect no one else.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 2:06 p.m.

@ Sports Nutz

Do you remember the year the Y waws ahead 34 - 0 after three quarters and called off the dogs so USU got a couple cheap touchdowns in the 4th quarter and the faithful Aggies started yelling "Over Rated" at the top of their lungs? This was against an opponent that had them 34 - 0 after 3 quarters. If you think USU is a great team because they beat BYU last year, then you are having dillusions of granduer, just like your coach who was so elated he stated after the game it was suddenly a true "rivalry." Well if it is, why hasn't USU won in Provo since 1978? As my son said about Texas after going there in September, "I see nothing upon which they could reasonably depend for their elated opinion of themselves and their infamous Texas Pride." I think that applies to USU as well. They win occasionally and are mediocre year-in-and-year-out so how they get such dillusional fans must be a study in human behavior of the young for sure.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Nutzz
    that was a typo obviously guy.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Sports Nutzo

So what respect has USU warranted by ANY team this year? By beating Weber??!? so they took Auburn to the wire on opening day. An L is not a W. Okay it was a moral victory I'll give ya that. One upset win by a minnow( I like that term) doesn't mean they rule the pond suddenly. But Since you want to constrain the USU wins over BYU by just one year then okay let's see who "owns" the series after this weekend. When and that's a big When byu wins the Ags can take their place in the shallow end of the pond again.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 2:35 p.m.

nottoosmart, I am in no way saying USU is a great team. I am saying byu is an average team at best this year, right now! If you think byu is a great team then you need as much help as Jake Olson Heaps. GO AGGIES, GO UTES, GO WILDCATS!

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Except for the 7 turnover debacle, BYU's defense hasn't allowed more than 17 points per game. In fact, if you remove scores that resulted from turnovers BYU's defense is allowing less than 12 ppg. Compare that to USU defense that is allowing 38.5 ppg to FBS schools. I see a game where:

BYU's defense >> USU's offense
    BYU's offense > USU's defense
    BYU's special teams >> USU's special teams

To put things in perspective, Colorado State had not scored more than 14 pts against FBS teams (New Mexico & Colorado) until they played USU and then they score 35.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Here is why every Aggie fans comment is just plain silly.

Bowl wins 1 ??? ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Against Ball State in '93. They even lost a bowl called the Raisin bowl for pete's sake.
    Last conf. championship 1997

Puhhhhhhlease Aggie fans. Stop this talk of dominating the Y or anyone else nonsense. Or even being relevant.

• shaun4747 Layton, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Hahahaha.....BCS wins >>>>> conference championships (especially the MWC). Weak argument Petey.

BYU fans (namely, Pete in Texas) have WEAK arguments.....niners is exactly right on who has been the dominant team for the last 20 years (my lifetime).

BYU fans logic: lets not count the last 20 years or the first 60 of the roughly 100yr rivalry, only the 20 years inbetween that matter, cause thats when we were good......

You guys are silly......USU-54 BYU-10 (looks eerily familiar, deju vu?)

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 3:50 p.m.

shaun4747, that is exactly my point! BYU fans are fine with only considering 1972-1992 but when we consider 1896-1971, for some reason we are wrong. And when we consider 1993-present, we are also wrong for not considering the 70's and 80's. You can't have both sides Cougars, it makes no sense.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Utah State has historically been much more focused, hard hitting, driven when playing BYU in football & basketball. Its the little guy syndrome, trying to trip up big brother. I always cheer for the Aggies, except when they play the Y. I love it when they beat Utah, felt bad about their loss last week. Hope both teams play their best game, that will make it worth watching.

• FootballFanatic Kearns, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 3:59 p.m.

BYU's offense will have a coming out party this Friday. So far they have faced excellent defenses...

Team Overall national rank
    Ole Miss = 60th
    Texas = 16th
    Utah = 14th
    UCF = 8th
    USU = 95th

Trying to break in new offensive coordinator and schemes is hard enough, let alone having to play the top defenses in the country. Playing against the 95th ranked defense will be a good break. Look for BYU to score 40+ in this one.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 4:07 p.m.

niners

Yet u same Ute fans discount the '84 NC which trumps any BCS wins no matter how long ago!! The system back then wasn't any more ridiculous than the BCS. And a Heisman trophy winner and Super Bowl winners. So seems you turn a blind eye when U want to as well.

• CaptainFD LITTLETON, CO
    Sept. 27, 2011 4:16 p.m.

I hope the Aggies and Coach Andersen play a very good game and beat BYU. I know if the Ags lose then Gary won't be making excuses and prioritizing winning in the bottom of the "Goal Pile". He will take responsibility with "Honor" not name calling his boosters "Saducees and Pharisees". If the talent is the same then I give the better coaching potential to Gary and the Ags. Unfortunately, win or lose I have lost respect for the BYU football program, Mr. "Hype Heaps" and Mendenhall as the head coach. I am sorry for the good players on BYU football and the outstanding school itself to have the shadow of the flagship sports program hide behind excuses. As said before: I love BYU as a great educational institution but Mendenhall is making it so hard to like him and the football team.

Go Aggies.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Here's hoping Gary Andersen doesn't talk this week with Coach Whittingham about defensive game planning against BYU.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 4:31 p.m.

@GB13

Check your facts before posting, the last 62 games which takes us back to 1950 the record is 31-30-1, in Utah's favor. So Utah has won more in the last 6 decades but good try. BTW who said I do not think that BYU does not consitantly field a good team? I know they do which is why it is such a great rivalry, the same reason USU is not really a "rivalry" to Utah or BYU anymore. So do not say I do not respect BYU football program because I do, I think Bronco is one of the best coaches in the nation and if you read my posts after Utah beat BYU I stated that multiple times while BYU fans were calling for him to be fired. I respect BYU and all of their tradition, I was trying to make a point that in my lifetime (pete was bragging about BYU during his lifetime so I brought up the U of U during my lifetime) Utah has had more success than BYU "head to head" and nationally. That was the only point I was trying to make.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 4:41 p.m.

USU is more dangerous than people realize. Remember how everyone looked over the Aggies last year?

Well,

who came out and played harder?

who came out and WON?

That's right, coach Anderson has a game plan for the Cougs. They better be ready. At the rate the Cougs are playing, I don't see this one being very competitive offensively for BYU.

The problem is that BYU is all talk. And that's how they fall.

• CaptainFD LITTLETON, CO
    Sept. 27, 2011 5:06 p.m.

GoGetter:

"The problem is that BYU is all talk. And that's how they fall"

AMEN

• Stackhouse paradise, nv
    Sept. 27, 2011 5:19 p.m.

USU will win this one by 11. Keeton is a better qb than Heaps or Wynn right now. Andersen is a better coach than Mendenhall and Whittingham right now. Turbin is a better running back than White or Kariya right now.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Jarkaroo, The Aggies were the better team last year..........and they are the better team this year. If your team breaks out of the mold and actually scores 2 touchdowns on offense and doesn't have 7 turnovers then maybe you have a shot? That is a big maybe! If you want to walk around town in your 1984 Championship shirt thinking that will make Heaps throw better passes and Doman call a better game, then have at it. BTW are you really Uncle Rico? GO AGGIES, GO UTES, GO WILDCATS!

• jiacheng09 Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 5:39 p.m.

BYU may talk too much, but they will not lose this game. They almost upset a rebuilding Auburn team. That team is no where near as good as the national championship team that Cam Newton played on. They struggled against Weber and lost to CSU. USU has improved so much in the last few years, but BYU's defense has been stellar every game except for the one against Utah, and in that game they gave up because it was out of reach. This game will be more entertaining because USU has improved, but it is played in Provo and USU will leave with a loss. Final Score 24-10 BYU. Go Cougs!

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2011 6:32 p.m.

niners.

Not to belabor the fact(s), but please think about what you just wrote (and compare it to your criticism of "Pete in Texas"). You are talking "about a time frame" that doesn't fit our discussion. I (and you) set the time of the last 6 decades, which is the last (60) games, not 62 years & 62 games. Again, however, you changed it to take advantage of the statistic - didn't you?

I keep reading where you (and others) criticize "Pete in Texas" for EXACTLY the same thing that you are doing.

This is a game of trivia, I know it and so does most everyone else. So, stop trying to play the "upmanship" game. That goes for you also, Pete!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 6:53 p.m.

@ Sports Nutz

I see that I am not the only blogger that you make fun of their screen name. That says more about you than it does about us. I hope you feel vindicated and very clever because name-calling isn't used to much by those trying to make a real point. Some of your comments are rather juvenile but that doesn't offend me; in fact, I expect it.

By the way, you don't have to go out of your way to cheer on everyone except BYU; we who read your opinions get it. If you feel you do, why did you leave out SUU, Snow, Dixie, etc?

It's obvious that USU was better than BYU last year, but it isn't obvious this year. The Cougars have come from behind to win two games and the Aggies have choked twice and given the game away. BYU lost big---once, and USU lost TWICE when for all practical purposes they had won. So that's why you lace 'em up and play the game, dude. On paper, USU had zero chance against Auburn; then they proved on the field that was a correct assumption. Against Colo State...?

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 7:04 p.m.

Goooooooo Aggies. BYU is soft, slow and has no game or talent!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 7:11 p.m.

I am an avid BYU fan. However, it gets real old every week when Heaps opens his mouth before the game saying that BYU players have really improved a lot - then after the game, there was a lack of execution. I think Coach Mendenhall should put a muzzle on him, and at the same time put a muzzle on himself. He is making himself and BYU a laughing stock with his comments. BYU doesn't need excuses - they need to play. If Heaps does not improve this game, Coach Mendenhall needs to bench him for the next game and give someone else a chance. Now, after getting that off my chest, I want to say that I'll always follow BYU FB, because I love BYU. Go team, lets show USU how a real team plays and finishes.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 7:21 p.m.

Pete in Texas...

Still so bitter.

What a shame.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 7:24 p.m.

When the dust settles, I can pick a team to cheer for this year...I am embarrased to visit my kids, especially those who are U fans...after the no show at the Y last week. We have fallen in love with USU with so many of the family receiving quality educations at USU...Good luck Aggies, make a strong show for ESPN. With the current lineup, the Y will have their problems again.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 27, 2011 7:26 p.m.

If Utah St. smokes BYU again this year, they should stop playing BYU too. I truly think the Utes should tell BYU to hit the pavement and get walking after next year's game and I bet they do. The speedy, very talented Utes will be EXTREMELY good next year and will pound BYU so bad I may not watch the whole game. I think BYU should schedule Weber St. and Southern Utah in the future.

C'mon Aggies, you played with Auburn, should of won.............BYU ain't no Auburn! Go USU!!!!!!!!

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 8:30 p.m.

@gb13

I completely agree. But you are still missing the point, the only reason I brought it up in the first place was to mock what pete was doing. So I was not actually bragging about utah's accomplishments in my lifetime just to brag, I was doing it to show Pete how ridiculous his comment was....I know the statistics all-time, I know BYU dominated the 70's and 80's, and I know the series has been close the last 20 years. All I was trying to point out to Pete was you cannot set up a specific time frame and only take that time period in to consideration.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:35 p.m.

I think Heaps needs to be benched for at least a game to give Lark a turn. Heaps is the future, but a message needs to be sent to him that he needs to improve or he can ride the pine. Heaps was given the keys to the car, but didn't earn the license.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:26 p.m.

This will be the game Heaps can prove to the fans that 1) he is as good as he says he is and 2) he is as good as the BYU fans of circa August 2011 said he is. Utah State has some serious liability issues at corner and they have difficulties putting teams away. Seems like a good time for Heaps to finally break-out, to which we Ute fans will start to hear of his superiority over Jordan Wynn. That will hit break-neck by the time Idaho, Idaho State, NMSU, and SJSU come around and he's putting up big numbers (see also Y fans "last 6 games of 2010 theory as to why Heaps is a candidate for the Heisman").

Given the home field, and BYU's revenge factor, the edge goes to the Y, though I would like to see the Aggies become bowl eligible and a win here would propel them.

BYU 31
    USU 20

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 28, 2011 8:12 a.m.

Sports Nutzzz

Really? the better team, why? Because you have beaten Weber?? Sorry not very convincing. BYU would crush them too. If USU's close loss to Auburn means sooo much then BYU's close loss to Texas is just as meaningful, both those teams are similarly ranked. Until Auburn got throttled by Clemson of course. So be it if you want to think USU is the "better" team based on one win against a Big Sky team. And thanks I was at the '84 championship game and at the game where Steve Young won it on the throwback pass, I was even sitting among the other Aggies fans while we watched Detmer get destroyed. So yes I will be proud to walk around town in my '84 t-shirt, I'ld take all of that any day over one bowl win over Ball State 8 years ago.

• WA-Aggie Kent, WA
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:13 p.m.

@ FootballFanatic

95th in Scoring defense.

But 12th in total defense.

The 2 OT game added 14 points alone.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Jarka and toosmart, I am having a good time saying how I think the game/season will go for both teams and how good I think/know they are and in the case of the y.....how bad they are. It's not something that keeps me up at night one way or the other. I will sleep the same no matter who wins or by how much. I will be back on here win or lose but it might not be until Saturday where I will be getting home from the game. Feel free to be here if/when the Aggies win.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 30, 2011 3:51 p.m.

This BYU team cannot score, and does not have the heart to beat USU. USU will score early, and often. Happy feet Heaps will donate at least 14 points to the aggies. I'm sorry, this is as positive as it gets for this team. Until they can prove me wrong...so let it written, so let it be done.