BYU football: Is TCU now Big 12's prime target?

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Sid Sperry Is 56 years old,

> And he has been in the WAC and MWC Wilderness for over 40 years, I like his passion for BYU football. BYU deserves to be in the BIG 12, So fan's like myself that have supported BYU athletics over the years can finally see all the hard work Pay Off.

This is what the Big 12 =

1. Marriott Center sold out. Dave Rose deserves Kansas and all the other Big 12 teams

2. All of our Olympic sports will thrive.

3. Texas and Oklahoma are two of the very best teams in all of football and will visit Prove.

I could go on and on it is a no Brainer.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 2:22 p.m.

How would you know you don't like Dick Harmon Sid Sperry or BYU.

• whitingnick Orem, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 10:01 a.m.

The real concern by most BYU fans is this, if BYU is offered a spot in the Big 12 and turns it down, forget our chances of being included in the super conferences when they come... which would basically make BYU football as important as intramural flag football. It could be the beginning of the end. BYU needs to quit thinking about hurting the WCC's feelings and start thinking more of survival for the future.
    And if BYU ever wants to get a serious look from the likes of prized mormon recruits like Jabari Parker, they need to be in a conference like the Big 12, not the WCC.

• UT4Big12 HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 25, 2011 4:50 a.m.

Interesting to note, I am a Texas alumnus and I know that UT and almost every UT fan I've met would love to see BYU in the Big 12.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Sept. 24, 2011 10:26 p.m.

can i say anything but yes

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 24, 2011 8:43 p.m.

Some of the rumors that I have heard about BYU's interest or lack there of in a potential Big 12 Invite is very concerning.... It would seem to me that we ought to be tripping over ourselves to get this opportunity... It would seem to better satisfy what we say our goals are: Better exposure for LDS Land, and a chance to compete at the top levels of college sports.

BYU needs to appoint a committee yesterday to put together a complete presentation and tour for the Big 12, we need to break down our Athletic Financials for a potential review by the Big 12 , and we need to make some assignments and create some accountability for obtaining an invite.

If we join the conference and it eventually goes away, what have we lost??? We could recreate what we have today (Football Independence and the WCC) in a months time.

I am an alumni, a former athlete, and a fan for nearly 50 years (Virgil Carter and Phil Odle years and John Farchild and Dick Nemelca years)... Folks like me want this badly... If we mess it up, it's probably time for me to find something else to do.

• UT4Big12 HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 24, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Adding to my recent post, if BYU is truly interested in joining the Big 12, it would be wise to let this be known now. Timing is everything.

• UT4Big12 HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 24, 2011 4:28 p.m.

It's funny how BYU's initial lack of interest in the Big 12 is now a debate among BYU fans. When there was talk of adding BYU as the 10th team, I was disappointed to read BYU president's announcement to the media that BYU was happy where they were. I don't think he will change his mind and this is something that is in the minds of Big 12 schools. No conference likes being embarrassed by a potential candidate. Just ask the Pac 12 commissioner. He learned (for a second time) that Texas does not need the Pac 12. With regards to BYU, the Big 12 is not hurting to add BYU so where do some BYU fans get off thinking they can make demands if they join? The Big 12 offers money, exposure and an opportunity to play in a BCS league.

I have gone to other websites to gage where TCU fans stand on the possibility of joining the Big 12. I have never seen such arrogance and stupidity. TCU has nothing to offer the Big 12 and its anger toward UT may cause them to lose their place on the list of candidates.

BYU or TCU?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 24, 2011 3:07 p.m.

JDL - You do realize that all of Dick Harmon's "sources" are also hearsay, right?

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2011 11:10 a.m.

The WCC won't be offended. They KNEW taking BYU was a gamble and that if BYU got offered a BCS conference slot it'd be taken. Just the one year with the WCC helps that conference.

No issue there.

I love the independence thing because of the prospect of seeing so many differen BCS teams in LES every year, instead of the same teams every year.

However, being in a BCS conference has its advantages. In weighing pros and cons between independence and Big XII membership, I see it as an overall draw.

So, I'm okay either way, though would still love to see BYU stick with independence and make it work. It's the possibility that it might not work (front-loaded issue) that makes BCS membership appealing.

And maybe steadier recruiting.

• my3cents Nashville, TN
    Sept. 24, 2011 9:51 a.m.

BYU's athletic department has shown excellent wisdom and prudence since the debacle of the MWC's initial TV contract.

I desperately want to be part of the Big12. I have two concerns. BYU and the LDS church as a whole have shown a sometimes stunning diconnect with the members/alumni. I worry that they believe we will happily follow like sheep no matter what they decide.

My second concern is that the church and BYU have also shown an aversion to transparency and accountability. Independence allows them to do whatever they want and answer to no one (except maybe the NCAA). Joining the Big12 means that sometimes BYU will not get it's way. It will also mean that faux pas (don't know you you make that plural) and unpopular decisions will become public instead of hidden.

I understand that there are a few things that are non-negotiable like Sunday play, but even a poor deal to be part of the Big12 is better than independence.

lets all hope and pray that the Board of Trustees is wise enough to see that Big12 inclusion is a REALLY BIG DEAL.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 24, 2011 8:24 a.m.

People like Sid Sperry don't care about BYU - they care about the football team. When's the last time Sid Sperry took in a concert at the HFAC?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 24, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Jake2010 - The Big 12 won't take BYU for football only. And most other sports are on Sundays. Do you think they want a forfeit of the conference basketball tournament and blow that TV money.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 24, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Dick Harmon accusing Chip Brown of being a shill for UT football is the height of hypocrisy.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:04 p.m.

Will you guys please quit with the non-intelligent argument that sunday play will do the cougars in? Most of NCAA div 1 (FBS) football games are not on Sunday. No bowl games are on Sunday of any importance at all. You will notice that the BCS cream of the crop (championship game) is played without fail on Monday..... It is more likely than not that the conferences that have an interest in BYU are well aware of the no sunday concession they would need to make to extend them to the conference and not suffer any kind of major forfeits based on no team showing up with Blue and white.... It is likely that the BCS invite would be football only as it is not an impossibility. Or, like the WAC and MWC did the conference they joined would simply forego conference competitions on Sunday. Please surrender to common sense so that we aren't left questioning your overall intelligence. Can you do that?

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Just try beating Utah and winning most of the rest of the time and whether you are in the Big 12-3 or independent things will be fine. Of course, winning in the Big 12 could be a problem. It is much better in football and basketball than the PAC-12 and minus Texas with much smaller markets to attract TV revenue, which is the primary reason the PAC-12 commissioner and league Presidents want to keep the status quo. They can't compete on the field, but still get the big bucks, so why expand?

• Itchy Lehi, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Here's one Utah fan that hopes that BYU receives and accepts an invite to the Big-12. Last weekend's smackdown notwithstanding, I think BYU has generally proven that they can play with the big boys and belong in a big name conference. Plus, it may start a new fun rivalry among BYU/Utah fans regarding whose BCS conference is better.

• Pac12Proud SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 3:25 p.m.

I'm not sure I understand why byu fans think they are so deserving of a Big12 invite. Boise St have PROVEN time and time again that they are BCS caliber. Maybe the Big12 would rather take someone that has already demonstrated it is capable of 'executing at a high level.'

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Having faith in the Y's leaders will do nothing to extend an offer from the BigXII minus three. That is out of the Y's control.

The important question that the BigXII minus III must decide is do they want to put up with another media prima donna who has its own network and who now wants the conference not require that it play any games on Sunday or have any championship games on Sunday.

The Y is a lot like a woman before the marriage requiring a pre nuptial agreement that limits what she is willing to share and when she will participate.

It's obviously love at first sight for both the Y and the BigXII minus III!! I personally the Big XII minus III would be crazy to want to consider such a union, they already have Texas.

• junkmail Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Yeah, sheriffcreg, Utah can always use more fair-weather fans.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:50 p.m.

I'll just wait to see what happens. For now I'm hoping the football team doesn't lay another egg like last Saturday.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:27 p.m.

I don't think the Big 12 would care if BYU non-football sports stayed in the WCC. But what ESPN agreement must they keep? The Big 12's Tier 1 rights were sold to Fox. They're not going to have 9 teams on Fox and 1 team on ESPN. If there is a buyout on the ESPN agreement, that would be on BYU's dime.

BYUtv would be like TLN, the tier 3 broadcast option.

• sheriffcreg SANDY, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:21 p.m.

It's a game of musical chairs, where it used to be BYU and one chair, and now it's BYU + 4-5 teams and 2 chairs.

BYU is making ridiculous demands. Say you won't play on Sunday, but other than that, be a lapdog like Utah has been and it will pay off in the end.

Sometimes you just gotta get down and beg. BYU has too much pride to do that. They think they actually have something to offer other than a desired number of teams.

And for the BYU fans that eventually leave because BYU messes this up, we at the U of U would be happy to bring you into the fold. :)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Lotsa stupidity from no nothing utah "fans" just projecting their desires on this article. Alot of stupidty from shell shocked BYU "fans" as well saying they'll abandon the program if they turn down the BIG12. My guess is that the people that matter at BYU already know what is going to happen. They already know what they would require to agree to join the BIG12 and they already know if the BIG12 is going to invite them.

I personally will have some disappointment, and some excitement, either way. I am really looking forward to independence but can also see the advantages to belonging to a conference like the BIG12. The truth is the BIG12 is probably the #2 league in football and either #2 or #3 in basketball depending on the year. As a competitive league in the big 2 sports it is probably the best one all around.

I'm really not sure what I would prefer to see done but unlike others projecting their personal desires I will simply wait and see what happens. Of course it is fun to read the near panic in the possibility from such utah "fan" luminaries as moderate, howie and jingle boy.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:02 p.m.

This is all such a joke...fans boycotting. Harmon, why did you interview that guy? He brought nothing to the story but instead discredited your views.

BYU will remain independent. If they ever chose to join the Big12 it would not be because of football but rather for all the other sports. The two problems I see with WCC competition is lack of a few sports BYU participates in and the size of basketball arenas. BYU's mission will be best achieved, however, by staying independent in football and in the WCC. BYUtv will aid its mission and would be yet another LHN in the Big12.

@flynnisthecoolest had it right, there are MANY more factors at work here than just competition. And BYU has shown and will continue to show that they can schedule top competition as an independent. That said, it would be cool to have UT and OU visit every other year...

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Harmon's comments,

We don't know the particulars and it is not over yet, but if BYU was given these things below and still turns down the Big 12, I will agree with Sperry.

1. No Sunday Play ( BYU will never compromise )
    2. Re Broadcast rites on BYUtv.
    3. As has already been reported a 6 year guarantee all teams stay in the Big 12= stability.
    4. The Big 12 lets BYU honor whatever agreement they have with the WCC and ESPN. ( BYU might have to wait 2 years) for all other sports.

This is what Sperry said

Sperry said he doesn't believe BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe or university president Cecil Samuelson would do that. "They are smart and I think they will make the right decision."

I agree with Sperry on this Point. How many Big time Donors, and how many fan's not coming to football and Basketball Games would it take for BYU administrators to take notice. ?

When Utah is playing USC and Oregon, BYU needs to be playing Texas and Oklahoma Make it happen Tom or should I call you ( Moses) I hate the briars and thistles."

I will forever be a BYU fan.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Is BYU willing to sign away tier 1 and tier 2 television rights to the Big 12 for 6 years? That's what is on the table in the name of "stablity". If BYU joined the Big 12, then after 2 years decided to go back independent, the Big 12 would have the right to televise BYU games, even though they were no longer in the conference.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:18 p.m.

I miss the BYU farm team from Rexburg. Perhaps the church could invest in Utah State's football team, make it a junior college program and funnel their better players to BYU after a year or two. Maybe that would appease Go Big Blue.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Yawn. Another speculative fact-free article based on someone else's fact-free speculation.

My fact-free speculation: If offered, BYU makes the move.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:14 p.m.

I'm certainly glad none of you speculators are my stock broker. Holy cats! Talk about a lot huffing, puffing, and stupid threats of abandonment just over a bunch of hearsay. Until, last month the Big 12 was always the preferred conference for BYU; a much better conference than any other BCS alternative. The PAC was probably the better option for Utah but the Big 12 has always seemed to be preferable for BYU.

Until the Big 12 installs some earthquake-resistant stability to their foundation and repair the hurricane shutters, the good ship Independence will convey the BYU athletic department just fine. However, I hope whatever stabilizers the Big 12 uses get installed in the next few days so the photos for the wedding announcements can be taken and in the mail before the leaves all fall.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Until the powers that be at BYU or the Big 12 reveals anything factual, all these speculation hurled around on these boards is just nonsense, empty "...tales told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

For those who are threatening to abandon BYU if they don't join the Big 12, well, sorry you feel that way. Hope we can have you back if and when Bronco and the team can start winning again. Even I myself can't take another humiliation like we did last weekend. I'm very nervous about tonight. Hope they can redeem themselves. Go Cougs! Let's play a whole game for a change.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:47 a.m.

If the BIG 12 invites BYU, but requires Sunday play, do you Cougar fans still expect Holmoe, Samuelson etc. to accept the invitation? And will you stop supporting BYU when they do turn down the invitation because of Sunday play requirements?

flynnisthecoolest, get real BYU... will NOT be dictating any terms to the BIG 12. They will politely ask for relief on the Sunday play requirement

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Put it this way - if BYU does get an invite to the BIG 12 and turns it down then you can be 100% certain that NCAA athletics at the Y are on the way out - probably within 5 years. If Glenn Tuckett and LaVell Edwards were still at the Y BYU would be jumping at the chance to join up with a "REAL" "LEGIT" conference. This silly little conference they belong to now for other sports is a joke and ranks barely above a junior college status. The basketball arenas are about 5ooo seats for the most part.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:33 a.m.

If the PAC-12 invited BYU and they said no, I can understand why fans would be upset. The BIG-12 is a different deal altogether. Its like having neighbors who are constantly fighting. Windows are being broken, frying pans are flying, there are bullet holes in the front door, and two crazed residents are gripping hand-grenades with the pins already pulled out. Would you want to move in with them?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:32 a.m.

If BYU doesn't pursue the BIG 12 with a passion then Tom Holmoe should be fired!! This is a total no brainer.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:11 a.m.

deal done. will be announced soon. notre dame in the equation. y to add 18,000 additional seats to les. mark it down

Sept. 23, 2011 11:01 a.m.

The story in the Tulsa World today says the Big 12 wants BYU and TCU both. They got an interum commisioner and he is to get them up to speed to make them a long term and viable conference.

• meet me in the MUSS Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Seriously, I don't think BYU passed on the Big-12, I think the Big-12 is just exploring it's other options, and who knows, they might not be interested in BYU anymore. These excuses from BYU sound awfully similar to when a recruit starts losing interest and they pull their offer in an attempt to not look like they lost that recruit. I think they might be losing their steam when it comes to joining the Big-12, so they just need these excuses to save face a bit when we all know they would love basically increasing their income 20 fold.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:55 a.m.

I think VA_Ute is dead on. As a BYU fan, I can't imagine why BYU would ever not be interested in a stabilized Big 12. It will provide security, high level scheduling, BCS access, exposure, and funding. If they will agree to allow no Sunday play and can show conference stability, what possible reasons could there be for BYU to reject an offer? Like VA_Ute said, the last thing the Big 12 needs is further embarrassment. BYU needs to open up a little and sell themselves as a highly valuable prospect for Big 12 expansion. They won't get the exposure they so desperately want if they get left behind. People want to see good competition. If that is not there, people will not tune in, no matter what station it is on. Don't alianate your fans, BYU. Make the move if it is really there!

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:44 a.m.

WON84 "The Big 12 has also made it clear that they are not interested in expanding within the current geographic footprint."

I do not see that phrase anywhere in TODAY's story. It would help if you fact check against what is happening now, rather than against what was posted on a Cougar fan board several months ago.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:31 a.m.

An invite to the Big 12 would be the best possible opportunity to advance BYU athletics to the next level. As it is, BYU loses ONE game and guess what- Armed Forces Bowl, what's the motivation to go 11-1 or 6-6? Both will have the same ending. In the Big 12 there would be no scheduling problems, great money and exposure for recruiting, and best yet, BYU could lose a few games and STILL play for a Big 12 championship and go to a BCS Bowl. I just can't see any reason why any logical BYU administrator can think that this Independence experiment is better for BYU in the long run, UNLESS the Big 12 wanted BYU to compromise their church standards somehow, such as requiring them to play on Sunday. And as for the WCC, any of those schools would jump into the Big 12 in a heartbeat if the offer was extended, so BYU shouldn't stress too much about what they "think" of them. People quit jobs and move onto better opportunities all of the time. If BYU turned down the Big 12 just to stay indy, it would be devastating IMHO.

• VA_Ute New Bern, NC
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Chip Brown cited a 'source close to the situation' that said that TCU was a prime candidate because 'BYU may have lost interest.'

Fact - Chip Brown does not have sources at BYU. This story is one thing only, an attempt by Texas through their unofficial mouthpiece to get BYU to tip their hand and show interest so that the Big 12 won't be embarrassed by offering an invite and having it rejected. But they really don't need to worry, going to the Big12 is a no-brainer for BYU.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Dick Harmon is right on, "Who is one to believe? BYU isn't helping, refusing to make a statement to the media, choosing to see Big 12 politics work itself out for the present."

Don't be the 1960's girl by the phone. Go to the party and flirt. This window may close forever.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:21 a.m.

If we get the invite? There will be no invite if we don't show intent. I have heard from OK, Tex A&M, Syracuse, & Missouri of their intents to leave their conferences. I have heard nothing from BYU. So, it didn't work out for OK and MO. So what? It worked out for A&M and Syracuse. Eat humble pie and make the call of your intent. Yes, we want to join the Big 12.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Wow, I want to BYU to win as badly as anyone and I hope the administration is serious about taking advantage of the best opportunities out there. But take a longer look, people. Even my Ute friends send their kids to BYU. Why is that??

I'm happy for what BYU has done for my kids and other people's kids. I think people are making a big mistake to spend their money elsewhere when this investment yields such good results for so many kids there in athletics. Go spend it on the Jazz and see what it gets you...

Sept. 23, 2011 9:39 a.m.

@Go Big Blue!!! - It doesn't matter. It matters how many people will fill stadiums or turn on television sets to watch them. There aren't many and they're already within the Big 12 geographic footprint. Their only hope is BYU declining an invitation.

• Pasta Cedar City, Ut
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:38 a.m.

BYU wants to win year in and year out, they will not do it in the Big 12, but they will year in and year out against the likes of San Jose State, Idaho, Idaho State, and New Mexico State. Stay Independent and play a lousy schedule, you'll winn every year.....except when they get pounded by Utah:)

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:31 a.m.

The Horned Frogs have made impressive national runs during this century. Cougars . . . not so much.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:21 a.m.

If BYU doesn't give into my (fan) demands then I will never watch BYU sports again......So many posters here are like a little child crying because they didn't get their way. Yeah like BYU is going to listen to whiny fans about their opinions on this. BYU is going to look out for their interests which is exposure. I am sure BYU has done a lot more than just stand by the sidelines. They're just not going to tell everyone their every move, they never have and they never will. When they decided to go independent it was the best option at the time and many just can't get that to include the useless Ute fans who keep forgeting they were the first ones to jump ship. Whatever move BYU makes, I will be there supporting them. And yes, they will never play on Sunday, NEVER.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:11 a.m.

If BYU does not get into the Big XII, football will be dead in Provo within 5 years. We will lose money, recruits and fans. My legacy membership will be gone. The Big XII will accomodate us on the Sunday play issue and BYUtv is OK. Its as good as we'll ever get. Holmoe - take it!

Sept. 23, 2011 9:11 a.m.

@Moderate - Unfortunately we need yet another fact check.

"Adding BYU made sense a month ago, because they were the easiest get... independent, no pesky lawsuits to contend with, they could just join.

Then two teams left the Big East.

Now TCU makes more sense. It is close geographically, has already declared its intention to leave the MWC, and no guarantee the Big East will survive."

Pittsburgh and Syracuse are being held to a bylaw which states they will remain members of the Big East for 27 months. In other words, it will be more than two years until the Big East loses them and TCU has a commitment to the Big East. TCU might not have to stay for 27 months but, there is penalty should they decide to depart.

The Big 12 has also made it clear that they are not interested in expanding within the current geographic footprint. Furthermore, TCU is a small school with small facilities and a smaller fan base. If they are to be added it will only be because BYU turned the Big 12 down.

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:08 a.m.

So Harmon quotes Sid Sperry, 56 of Provo, lifelong Cougar fan. No knock on Mr. Sperry, but how is his opinion relevant? Did Harmon talk to a buddy of his and then have that opinion appear to represent all Cougar fans? Journalism 101 teaches giving a fair and balanced story. Quoting one man from Provo hardly does that. I'm sure there were other opinions from Cougar fans.

Sept. 23, 2011 9:07 a.m.

@Moderate - Utah's recruiting has not improved since joining the Pac 12. Moderator rules prevent me from posting a link but, please go to Scout dot com where you will see that Utah's current recruiting class is ranked No. 65 in the country. BYU's is currently at No. 34.

So, while I agree that BYU's recruiting has improved due to Utah's move to the Pac 12, Utah's has not.

That being said, I hope that BYU accepts the likely invitation to the Big 12.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Then two teams left the Big East.

Geography is the killer for BYU. It is a two day road trip to their nearest Big 12 opponent. Visitor seats will be filled by local BYU fans, or those very very few that would travel from Utah by air.

• armchairQB Panguitch, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:39 a.m.

I like to watch BYU sports, not just football. I didn't graduate from BYU, but we always followed them in our home as I grew up. I trust the leaders to make the best decision, although I'm not sure what that is. I'm glad I don't have to make the choice. I like independence. I hope we stay independent, but I wouldn't mind seeing us play the likes of Texas, and Oklahoma week in and week out either. I'm glad it's not my choice to make.

As for those so-called fans who claim they will defect if they don't get their way, maybe it will be easier for me, and those like me who have come to the table a little later than others, to get good tickets for the games.

• cork Murray, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Independence was a good idea at the time. The fact is that time is moving at a breakneck pace right now and dawdling by the BYU administration will be fatal to the program if the Suits don't man-up and go after a big conference affiliation. Waiting around for the Big 12 to come begging us to join ain't going to happen this time.

This is make or break for my long-held season tickets. My entertainment dollar will forever be spent somewhere else. I WILL NOT buy ever again if this year's type schedule is more than a one year deal. Given the current football landscape, I agree with the writer when he calls this "football suicide" for BYU if they don't get into the Big 12.

I bleed very blue but for me this is a make or break deal. If the administration thinks that I - and many, many others - will come crawling back to LES to see the Idaho State's of the football world play because it's the only game in town, or that we'll all mellow out over time, then they have sadly underestimated our resolve.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:27 a.m.

SLC BYU Fan: You made assertions about the GA's for which you have no proof. Name your sources!!

BYU is bigger than all of this and will survive. Like many, I just want us to win games and EARN our way into the BCS in January. I am far more pleased about what BYU has done for me, my siblings, my children and their cousins, than what I could EVER get from football. I will contribute whenever, whatever I can because I believe in the core mission of the school and I couldn't be more proud of that!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:21 a.m.

byu is far more talented than pretty much all Big 12 teams.

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:03 a.m.

When the Marriot Center is half full this year, maybe the BYU administration will finally get it. If the football team doesn't get their act together, there is no question that independence will only have LES half full. At least in the big 12 fans will fill the stadiums just to see the great teams who would be finally coming to Provo. We don't really know for sure if the powers that be are really committed to a great sports program. All I know is that if you are not committed, even at BYU it won't happen. The evidence of that was last Saturday. In the church, we are told to be in the world but not of it. Which is it BYU? If you really want a top notch sports program, then get into the big 12 and show the interest. We are not Notre Dame, we have to work at it. I am not buying basketball tickets to go watch BYU play Dixie State, BYU Hawaii and Praire View A&M.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 7:57 a.m.

BYU would not do as well in the Big 12, as they would as an independent.

BYU's recruiting improved by being able to pick up national recruits. They could go to a kid in Georgia and say "we are on ESPN every week". That ends if they join the Big 12. BYU would be in the Big 12, recruiting players like when they were in the MWC. Buh-bye ESPN contract.

BYU would not do as well in the Big 12, as Utah in the Pac 12.

Again, recruiting. The move to the Pac 12 has improved Utah's recruiting already. As mentioned, BYU's recruiting will take a step backwards.
    BYU fans say Utah has it easy this year because they don't face Oregon and Stanford. Utah just has to win the south, then hope for some good luck in the championship game.

As the tenth member of the Big 12, BYU would play everybody. No more catching OU and Texas on a down year. If one is down, the other is up. Then comes OSU, Mizzou, Tech. This year, according to ESPN power rankings, BYU would be behind Baylor and Iowa State.

However, good games for the fans!

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Sept. 23, 2011 7:55 a.m.

I'm 40 years old now. I've loved BYU and it's athletic programs as long as I can remember. To those who are ready to jump ship and stop watching/donating if BYU doesn't join the Big 12(?), I'd say, "Goodbye". BYU DOESN'T need the money, folks. The money is nice, but their main objective is exposure. I, personally, like the independence. I like them joining with the WCC in other sports, surrounded by other "like-minded" christian based universities. I like how BYU is able to call it's own shots on what it does or doesn't want to do and what direction it will take in the future. I live in the heart of Texas. (Longhorn country.) The reason A&M wanted out is because they were playing second fiddle to UT. What in the world do ya'll think will happen if BYU joins the conference? UT dictates, everyone else does. End of the story. I don't want to see my beloved college play second fiddle to anyone. BYU is a unique institution. Independence allows them a unique opportunity to display that. Stay the course. Don't lose your independence. BYU is bigger than America, it's international.

Go Cougars!

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 7:52 a.m.

SLC BYU Fan:

Please give your one dimensional posts a rest for a while. Many people have asked you to expose who your sources are and who it is that you continually say is opposed to BYU athletics. Perhaps it's true but until you substantiate it, it's just hearsay.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 7:06 a.m.

It's clear than BYU fans don't buy the independent role. BYU should be assertive in trying to join the conference and not be coy or above it all.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 6:40 a.m.

I agreed what Sperry saying and BYU head dept would be a fool not run for it with big 12!

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 6:30 a.m.

As I've attempted to assert over the past couple of months, there are some in the senior hierarchy of the LDS Church who have never liked the idea of BYU being in a big league like the Big 12 or Pac 12 (too much negative impact on nearby smaller programs like Utah State). There are even those that sadly wish to drop athletics at BYU or at least limit them to what the WCC does since they feel intercollegiate athletics conflict with the perceived mission of LDS church universities and colleges. BYU might just have a decision to make, yes they want a stable league, BUT they need to move upward if they want a program. Just playing mostly C-USA, MWC, WAC and MAC programs year in and year out isn't going to cut it for visibility. This is what they would limit themselves to if they are in fact saying no to the Big 12. If that's the case they might as well drop their program and get it over with.

• Jared Average, SE
    Sept. 23, 2011 5:59 a.m.

Why would BYU fans stop being fans of BYU if BYU turned down a Big 12 offer? That's a ridiculously juvenile response to something about which they have no control. The point of being a fan is to support your team no matter what. That doesn't mean you can't criticize decisions or air grievances but at the end of the day you remain loyal to your team. If BYU could go to the Big 12 and chooses to remain an Independent, then that's the way it is.

CougarFaninTX got it right though. This is not about money. BYU won't deny that the extra money would be nice but BYU's goals are not the same as most other universities' goals. Independence makes sense for BYU but if the goals of BYU and the LDS Church (which goals include developing well-educated people who are good members of their communities and religions) can be furthered even more by joining the Big 12, then that will be the course BYU will take.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 23, 2011 5:53 a.m.

BYU hurts itself more by not winning when it matters than by anything else. If we had taken care of business on the field like TCU, Boise St, and Utah, then BCS conferences would be knocking on our door with more force. We have the fan base. I disagree with those who say we have been too greedy. I think we haven't been 'ambitious' enough - building BCS-calibre teams and then actively courting relationships with BCS conferences.

As for Nunya (and others who think alike): I would focus on the kids who go there and the good of what the school does for them and worry less about influencing politics. There is no place I can think of that deserves our support more!!!

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 5:44 a.m.

I personally like the idea of BIG 12 participation and think it will happen. That said, I have confidence the right decision will be made as BYU has a mission to perform and it will not be foiled.

I watched the BB game last night on BYUtv and realized it was broadcast internationally. What a great opportunity millions of people had to participate. The event was the first of it's kind with no need for commercial sponsors. No other university in the world could/would do what BYUtv did last night. It was a show of athletic greatness with total sportsmanship. Everyone who participated was a winner from the athletes, to the coaches, to the fans, to the charity, to BYU and it's sponsoring institution. KUDOS!!!

Independence has been huge even if for a year. BYUtv is not a threat to the BIG12 but rather it will be (if we are invited) a benefit to the conference at virtually no cost.

• Daddiooh Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:56 a.m.

And lastly....... ;-)

.......to Dick Harmon, I respect you as a journalist and all the work you have done over the years following BYU. But, I think you kind of stooped in this article. You interviewed one fan who essentially said BYU better join the Big 12 or else. Or else what? He quits going to games??? With an attitude like that, I would rather he not go and ruin the game for me and my family. ( I really doubt he would never enter Lavell Edwards Stadium again--come on! That is a ridiculous threat!) And the way the quotes from this fan read, it makes him sound superior to the administrators and board of directors of BYU. I bet he didn't mean to sound this way. (if he did, well....so much for my benefit of the doubt). He is not privy to info that they are. I trust them. Let's just sit back and watch and wait for what happens next. Besides we still have 9 games to go. ANd I am just looking forward to tomorrow night's game with UCF. Go Cougs!

• Daddiooh Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:54 a.m.

Another thing...

As for the few Utah fans who just can't seem to control themselves when it comes to making jabs at BYU: Congratulations, you beat us badly, fair and square. The game is now over and we have other business to attend to, as do your Utes. And good luck to the Utes regarding being able to pull off another win like this where your opponents will generously give you the ball 7 times. If it happens again this season, I would expect you to win by the same big margin you beat us by last Saturday; however it isn't going to happen and you are in for a bunch more USC type games from most of your competition. You will win some and you will probably lose some too. I actually hope you win them. But either way, let's see how the rest of the season stacks up for both teams and compare notes in December. By then we will know better about the character of the 2011 versions of both teams and whether BYU stays independent or ends up joining the Big 12 or another conference.

• Daddiooh Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:52 a.m.

Wow. I am a lifelong BYU fan. If BYU stays independent I will still be a lifelong BYU fan. If they go to the Big 12 I will still be a lifelong BYU fan.

Come on Cougar Fans, quit whining about whether BYU officials decide to join or not join the Big 12. I am happy with BYU being independent right now. Half of their games are strong games against great football programs and the other half are against what should be categorized as "easy wins." I am OK with that. There are only 2 or 3 teams in the nation who can handle an SEC-type schedule week in and week out--and they are all in the SEC!

If some of you are seriously looking to give up your good season tickets in protest, then great. We didn't need you in the stadium anyway. The seats will refill with new fans who will want to be there.

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:06 a.m.

If BYU passed on an opportunity to join the Big 12, I'd be VERY upset. I've been a lifelong BYU fan, but I will quit on Cougar sports if this happened! There'd be no reason to ever watch BYU sports again if we have no desire to compete at the highest level. The independence route fails in comparison to a really conference-- it's a guarantee we'd be left out of the super conference picture.

Secondly, only joining the Big 12 in football would be stupid too. All other sports would suffer, especially basketball recruiting. Let be honest, the WCC is nothing in comparison to the Big 12.

• SammFan Sammamish, WA
    Sept. 22, 2011 11:59 p.m.

BYU has a strong brand outside of Utah. I understand that fair-weather local fans struggled going to church and work this week to face their Ute neighbors, colleagues but BYU is far bigger than the state of Utah and the ridiculously labeled "Holy War". Kick back and drink some warm milk, it'll all be over soon enough. Hope the Cougs get a couple wins soon and the Utes slide and your daily grind will be tolerable.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2011 11:31 p.m.

"I've heard it said the BYU athletics is the 2nd greatest missionary program we have."

I have never heard that from President Monson nor anyone in the First Presidency and I attend every Conference.

I find that equating actual Missionary work with football is giving a carnival atmosphere to the message of Jesus Christ and the Gospel.

Does it get some attention? Yes, but it is still football. Stop making BYU football out to be more than it is.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 22, 2011 11:14 p.m.

I've heard it said the BYU athletics is the 2nd greatest missionary program we have. Some observers interpretted Holmoe's comments last year incorrectly. He said we were making the move to independence for greater exposure. Some thought exposure meant money. Exposure meant exposure.

Here's the critical points for BYU to move to the Big 12.

Stability - The conference took a major stride tonight with what they did with media rights.

No Sunday play - non-negotiable. The commandment hasn't changed.

BYU will want to broadcast games that are not carried on another network. This is exposure. BYU wants their team to be seen. They've worked hard to get BYUtv in 60M homes. BYU will even offer to broadcast other conference games, like they did for the WCC last year, that are not on another network.

Re-broadcast rights are a nice to have but not a deal breaker.

Offending the WCC - this is a tough issue. There's no easy way around it. But we told them we would go upfront if offered.

$18 M from Big 12, $8 M for independence, $2 M from MWC. BYU cares far more about the other issues than the money. They won't be bought.

• BYU, Always #1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 11:08 p.m.

First off people, get over yourself. If you don't want to be a BYU fan, don't. its that simple. I personally like Independence more than the Big 12. I like the idea of going all over the country and playing teams that we have never played before. Having said that, if super conferences do come around and we are Indy, we will be religated to Div II. So if the invite does come I would accept just because we might get left behind if we don't. If Independence could keep us relevant, then I am all for Indy.

• R.Burgundy Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 11:07 p.m.

BYU has no leverage except we are the only School who could come over for the 2012 season. Other than the no sunday play, they shouldn't demand ANYTHING from the BIG 12! Who do they think they are? Not Notre Dame! As far as the re-broadcast rights, who cares!! If they are invited and turn it down, I will not support BYU Athletics in any way! To many other Sports I can follow (Jazz,NFL,Red Sox) So do the right thing BYU, don't upset your Donors and fan base.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:55 p.m.

It's surely interesting to read the views of all the anti-BYU bloggers and those who think they know which way the wind is blowing, although it's like reading a good novel; nothing but opure fantasy and fiction. "Blow-Hards" is a pretty good description of such, along with "fair-weather". A wise man will withhold judgement until he knows the facts and the so-called facts currently are just speculation, not facts-in-evidence (to use a legal term). Those in the "know" aren't saying what they want or intend.

As I wrote to a person this week, saying "This week the PAC 12 has declined further expansion but by the time you get this letter the landscape of conference alignment may have changed again," it is rumored at least that indeed it has. Or has it?

So while inuendo and speculation might sell newspapers, I'd be careful about declaring what will or will not happen. Just take a deep breath and exercise a bit of patience......something rarely observed these days when it comes to intercollegeiate football and conference alignment expressed opinions. We'll know soon enough how things shake out. For now, save your breath!

• lordandrew1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:54 p.m.

Here's the way I see it:

Leaving the MWC for independence was a good move. This year is a great example of why independence is a good but not great situation: Start the season 1-2, especially with how BYU has played so far in those games, and interest in the Cougars takes a HUGE hit. We can finish as a very respectable 10-2 team, but because of our schedule vs WAC teams, who will care?

The point of BYU Athletics is to shed more light on the LDS Church....how can you do that if you waste away as a good-but-not-great independent program? Eventually BYU would be a has-been athletic program. Where's the good exposure in that?

A 10-2 or even a 9-3 record in the Big 12 will likely put us in a January 1 bowl game for ALL to see. As an independent, a 10-2 record will put us in a pre-Christmas bowl game that few non-Mormons will watch.

Is there something that I'm missing here?

• Cougar Blue N. Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:52 p.m.

Who says that you have to have a conference championship game if you have 12 members? It is not so. Twelve might solidify it in the eyes of all participants however. With only 10, if they lose one, then they're right back into the mess they've been in. I say add at least 3.

• jazz123 North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Tom Holmoe is a smart guy, I don't think he or the admin would turn down an invite to the Big 12. If they did I think it would make a lot of fans very upset. In fact I think they would lose a lot of fans.

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:32 p.m.

Despite the recent results against Texas, I dont know if BYU can compete regularly in the BIG 12.

Once again, Utah might win by default.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:27 p.m.

Well, that didn't take long. All of the sudden BYU fans hate independence and are threatening not buy tickets or donate to the school. They don't like the WAC schedule against the likes of Idaho State. They don't like getting dominated by schools with a real football focus like Utah.

Let's face it. The best position for BYU is a weaker mid-major conference where it can beat up on small-school teams -- like the WAC in the '80s -- keeping fans happy. The team in Provo should try and get into the WAC or back into the MWC where it'll be comfortable.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:26 p.m.

No one is going to put up with BYU's demands, especially Sunday play and bend over backwards to accommodate them when other schools such as TCU (the C is for Christian) don't mind. While I think it is great people observe the Sabbath, these Universities are public institutions, most of them, and don't want to or need to accommodate BYU. Even TCU won't care.

It is pretty amusing to watch the comments of those who were beating their chest about how great independence was and are now foaming at the mouth for a big boy conference invite. Your true feeling really show and the whole proud to be independent was just masking your heartache over being left behind. Just admit it, you want in.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:26 p.m.

BYU, West Virginia, and Louisville are the Big XII's best options for expanding to 12. Promoting any of the mid-majors people keep talking about doesn't make sense. That just waters the league's BCS status.

As for TCU, why would Texas and Texas Tech agree to add another team from the state of Texas into their league? That's backyard competition for recruits. I don't see that happening.

Don't be surprised if the Big XII sets things up for stability for the next 4 to 5 years with only 10 teams (BYU becoming the 10th). Some of their schools' leaders have stated this week that they don't like a CC game getting in the way of getting a team into the NC game. I agree with that way of thinking.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:25 p.m.

For BYU be worrying about the what the WCC will think seems crazy to me. That should have been taken care of when they joined. If BYU didn't make it clear to WCC officials when they joined that they would have to leave the conference to join a BCS league if ever offered than they have the foresight of a bat.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 10:19 p.m.

The BYU athletic mission statement is as follows:

"Our mission is to conduct the Athletics program in a manner that will develop student-athletes of excellence in academics, athletics, faith, and character, and to contribute to the mission of the LDS Church through the visibility of our positive example and our accomplishments."

Not one aspect of that statement can be achieved more fully as a member of the BIG 12 than as an independent.

In fact, Big 12 membership may limit BYU's ability to achieve its mission statement.

The decisions made by the BOT on conference affiliation will have little to do with the threat of BYU "fans" to withhold their support for the program if the decision is to pass on a BIG 12 invitation.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:50 p.m.

When BYU was re-buffed by the PAC...they went out of their way on saying how the best thing was to be Independent. I think they should stay true to their word....be it good or bad.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Lifelong Republican:

TCU really doesn't HAVE to bring in new TV sets. The $1.1 billion contract is already signed. Adding a bigger TV market like the Y or Air Force won't increase the value of the Big TeX's contract. ESPN already said so. Therefore, the Big TeX just needs to add 1-3 teams.

Personally, I think they should add up to 3 of the following 4 BCS-caliber teams: Boise St, TCU, Houston, and West Virginia.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:35 p.m.

I've already stopped donating to BYU because of things I'm unhappy about. If they get that invite and then turn it down. I PROMISE TO NEVER FOLLOW THEM AGAIN. Not maybe or might. I mean NEVER.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:27 p.m.

This article shows that Harmon would give his left arm (maybe even his right arm) for BYU to go to the big12.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Is BYU really in love with having its own TV network broadcast football games? I thought that they went to that because they wanted fans to be able to see games instead of missing them on the Mtn tv network.

The Big12 has a tv deal with espn and abc. May not be able to broadcast games on BYUTV, but who cares?

I've heard BYU doesn't want any bad blood between them and the religious institutions in the WCC, by leaving the conference immediately after joining it. Patience is a good thing to have, should have stayed 1 more year in the MWC with TCU and Boise, then left for the big 12.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:22 p.m.

TCU provides nothing in revenue for the Big 12. They don't bring in any additional TV markets.

This is truly nothing but speculation by the media.

It literally changes every 15 minutes.

I have total faith in the leaders of BYU.

They will make the right decision.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:22 p.m.

For the past few years I've maintained that in the end, BYU will drop out of NCAA competition, just like BYU-Idaho did. NCAA sports will become too messy, too money hungry, too TV controlled, and far uglier than BYU wants to be party too. This so-called "super conference" idiocy is evidence to me that BYU is moving to shut it all down and be an institution of higher learning, not a farm school for the NFL. And NCAA sports is getting to the point, I can hardly stand to read about it, or watch it anymore. There are a gazillion timeouts in football and basketball, and it ruins the game. The money is not worth it, what's the point anyway?

• mtseatss Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Perhaps the suits with crimson red chairs view the SECULAR activity and insatiable money centered appetites that govern college football as the true patch of briers and thistles whereas the land of milk and honey resides upon a completely different message altogether?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:15 p.m.

TCU is a proven program that has been to the BCS. The Big East is a lost cause and travel will be easier for TCU.

As I have stated before BYU fan, a Texas school or schools are Big 12 bound and all the powers that be will make sure of it. You really think Baylor was a top choice last time around? Mo, Governor Richards of Texas made sure Baylor got in.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:12 p.m.

IT appeares to me that most of the fires are being fueled by the media and sports reporters who think they know more than those hired to do their job at the Universitys. Then they get fans and athetlic authoritys believieng their so called expertise and stir the pot until we have all the confusion that prevails at this time.I will continue to support BYU whatever decision it makes.Lehicoug--- If you bleed blue through and through it sounds like you may have sprung a few leaks.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:10 p.m.

If BYU is to join the Big XX, they need 6 concessions to be made.

1) No Sunday play

2) Freedom of same day re-broadcast of all BYU games on BYU-TV

3) Freedom to broadcast any or all games not televised by the contracted TV networks.

4) Equal (or near equal) revenue sharing for bowl earnings and TV contracts awarded to the conference (Texas can keep the LHN revenue, and so can OU when their network is up and running).

5) Signed legal agreements of stability in the Big12- with hefty >$20 million buyout penalties. Stability must be for at least 10 years.

6) Those with networks cannot broadcast high school football games without the unanimous consent from the rest of the league

I think these are all reasonable requirements, but without them, the Big 12 is fools gold for anyone- except maybe SMU.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Any interest the Big 12 had in adding the school from Provo went up in smoke when the blue team got embarrassed on their home field in a big way Saturday.

It seems the Big 12 is now looking elsewhere for expansion. Can you blame them?

• Lehicoug Lehi, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 8:54 p.m.

I bleed blue through and through. I suffered miserably on Saturday when we were destroyed by Utah. I experience the highest highs when we win; hate to read the sports section on Sunday when we lose. Whereas I used to have a miserable week after a loss I've matured over the years and am now semi-functional and have a cheerful disposition by mid week.

That being said...

If BYU gets an offer to join the BigXII and the powers that be at the Y turn it down...I may kiss BYU athletics goodbye forever.

Words cannot express how angry and disappointed I will be. I want to see BYU compete at the highest level. The athletes deserve it. And by gosh the fans do too.

Don't blow this!