Sports

Utah Utes football: Whittingham thrilled with U.'s 'team effort'

Comments

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 20, 2011 1:21 p.m.

I wish we had Kyle Whittingham at the Y. I like Bronco also but I have always admired Coach Whit. I hope that Utah does well in the Pac12 and can take the south division championship. I am a big fan of John White. That kid is so shifty and quick. Devonte Christopher took 3 huge hits and kept on coming. Utah has a tough squad indeed.

I hope the cougs can bounce back this Friday and take some momentum into the game against the Aggies. USU is lickin' their chops right now and we cannot allow a repeat of last year.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 20, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Gotta love Deseret News and their policies.

What's magnificent, is the following facts can never be censored:

2 in a row for The U, and 7 of the last 10; Overall-record for The U, too, by a large margin. Oh yeah, 54-10, last Saturday, in provo, The U's most lopsided victory over byu, since 1922.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 20, 2011 9:15 a.m.

It makes me so mad that Ute fans think they won this game. It was totally us giving them the win because we are way better at every spot than they are. We always win in recruiting and so we always have way more talent. That one pass that was a touchdown should have been an interseption but are player missed the ball. John White 4th only deserved about 50 yards and they only deserved about 10 points.

• BYUte06 Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 20, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Re: showmeyatd

Yes of course, Utah welcomes any fans with open arms. I grew up a BYU fan and still root for them except when they play the U. Both are excellent programs with great fans, the negative comments you see on the boards are not the norm (for either side) and generally represent the extreme minority. Just ignore them and enjoy rooting for your team, trust me you'll have more fun that way.

• UTE Fan in Texas Prosper, TX
    Sept. 20, 2011 7:51 a.m.

alternate | 9:53 p.m. Sept. 19, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "The Utah running game is suspect. Mr White got 95% of his yards after the meltdown, not before."

Cry me a river... Are you saying that the Cougar's first team, stud defense, gave up? Give me a break. It's called EXECUTION! Football has 4 quarters and if you're saying that the Y laid down for the last two, than perhaps Bronco has a bigger problem than his team turning the ball over 7 times.

"Blitzing linebackers with three minutes left in a game against a beaten team to get 50 plus points does not a good offense make or a defense better. So many coaches learn that the hard way. Not to mention the embarrassment to the school for loss of integrity."

Second and third team defenses getting an opportunity to play, and against the first team no less. One would think that the first team Cougars should be able to take care of the "Scrubs". Do you really think that Coach Whit was running up the score? Watch the replay and let me know how many passing plays in the fourth quarter.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Too bad that Kyle allowed his team to run up the score. Now everyone thinks Utah actually has a good team. They do. But not a Rose Bowl team. Not even a Sugar Bowl team. Mark it down. Key points.

The season schedule is very difficult. No Sugar Bowl schedule when the hardest game was a short week night game where TCU had to travel. Yes TCU was a better opponent than the dis-interested Crimson Tide. No luxury like that this year.

The BYU game was an anomoly. BYU is better than they showed. We may never see 20+ "non-contested" turnover points in a game again. Nor will you see BYU quit in the 3rd quarter again this year.

Here's hoping for many more wins for Utah.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:52 p.m.

Just a few weeks ago, there were hand-wringing articles about the weak Utah offensive line having to swap in defensive players to fill in gaps. I guess Whitt and Chow know what they're doing afterall. You can't believe everything you read in the blue-stream media.

• Kris johnson Salt lake, Ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Trevor reilly was a 3 star linebacker who signed with Texas tech out of high school. He went straight on a mission and came back and wanted to transfer to byu but recruiting coordinator Tidwell told him he could maybe walk on if he could get himself into school. So he went to meet with coach whittingham who told him that they wanted him badly but because it was march he could only work out with the team if he went to summer school and had to pay for it or just wait until august 1 and he would have a scholorship. So realistically he wasn't a walk-on but he should have been a cougar

• UTE Fan in Texas Prosper, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Can the UTES compete, you would be lying if you said they can't.

Sorry about the typo.

• UTE Fan in Texas Prosper, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 3:57 p.m.

I too thought the offensive line did a tremendous job of protecting Wynn and giving him time in the pocket. Especially when you consider the hype that BYU's front 7 have been getting... I will not go out on a limb and forecast the UTE'S in the Rose Bowl (though I will be the first in line to get tickets if this is to occur), I think this year will be a great learning experience for the UTES in what to expect week in and week out. Can the UTES compete, you'd would be lying if you said they can't. Whit is a proven commodity and I for one am grateful that he chose the "U". In the words of the Prophet"UTAH Man Sir, a UTAH Man am I" (YouTube search "President Monson Utah Man").

• Itchin'totalk Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 3:34 p.m.

I must say that the Cougars looked sick... it is true. They gave up and were completely disheartened. I have to say though, that I would rather be a Cougar who lost, than be a Ute with no class.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Great game you Utah. Good luck with the rest of your season.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Will you guys accept another Ute fan? Since I got baptized I thought I owed it to the church to be a cougar fan. I completely bought into the hype this year an I am very upset that they lied about everything. It's weird but when Utah ran onto the field I got an excited feeling and really think they are a great team. I haven't been involved in the rivalry for long since I moved here from California and just liked BYU and didn't hate Utah. I started to dislike some of you guys just cause of comments I would read on articles but BYU dishes it back so I guess it goes both ways. I love the fact that Utah is in the Pac and the whole pod system that is rumored would work pretty good since we would be the best team in the 4 team pairing. I'm just sick of Bronco Mendenhall and his lack of emotion. This may seem annoying that a cougar would abandon his team but can you guys blame? Try going through last year and then this beating after being sold a bill of goods. Well I guess will see.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:07 p.m.

I just want to say how impressed I was by Utah's Offensive Line. Wynn had forever to make almost every play. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Go Cougars!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:35 p.m.

The victory and win Saturday night was epic, but the fact that the Y players "Gave Up" that was priceless. Montana St had more fight in them when they got down to the UTES. As much as I loved the win, seeing a Y team give up was aweosme, and also very sad at the same time. They bottled up the UTES in the run the first half, but fell apart once they got behind by 14 points. I hope that the Y plays better, or this win will be worse off for us than beating Montana St. There really are only a couple of games left that the Y might have trouble with. Utah St and TCU. What an epic win for the UTES though. Got to love all the fans calling for Roscoe and Doman's head.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:41 p.m.

"Linebacker Trevor Reilly highlighted the defensive effort by forcing three fumbles, making three tackles-for-loss, registering two sacks, recovering a fumble, breaking up a pass and notching a quarterback hurry.

Contributions were plentiful.

Michael Walker, Matt Martinez, Mo Lee, Derrick Shelby and V.J. Fehoko joined Reilly with fumble recoveries. Shelby and Fehoko wound up scoring touchdowns.

Chaz Walker and Star Lotulelei were credited with forced fumbles.

On the interception front, Quade Chappis picked off BYU quarterback Jake Heaps. Seven Utes had pass breakups. Shelby and Nate Fakahafua led the way with two apiece, while Reggie Topps, Ryan Lacy, Conroy Black and Dave Fagergren each joined Reilly with one. Shelby had two quarterback hurries and Lacy had one. Michael Walker and Jacoby Hale made tackles behind the line of scrimmage."

You're correct, heaps, UTAH did nothing and had ZERO to do w/byu getting absolutely punked on their own field....You're quickly becoming the next max hall in the humility/mouth department.

• dilbert21 COTTAGE GROVE, MN
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:40 p.m.

These articles are so stupid. We have no idea if we are good yet. We didn't play good, they played really really bad. 7 turnovers. How many did we force? They just coughed it up. It's not like we took it from them (okay maybe on one or two we did). Then they gave up in the second half. You could see it. They were done. They had no interest anymore and we had our first stringers in almost until the end.
    We will see how good we are in coming weeks. For now, let's enjoy the lopsided win, but not say how "great" we were lest we get over confident.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:35 p.m.

I told you I wouldnt post for a month if byu won.

I knew they wouldnt. I'll be posting still.

What an epic beatdown.

You think recruits debating between Utah and byu will take that game into account? Yep you'd better belive it.

1-2 start is a Bronco thing to do. Not a Kyle thing

Rose Bowl 2012 Utes

1-4 start again 2012 Cougars

Mark it Down

Central Florida has given up 20 points total in 3 games.

Combine that with BYU offense that has scored 21 points in 3 games.

Central Florida 27
    byu 10

• Uncle Gadianton Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:35 a.m.

RE: One Vote

"Played like a real band of brothers."

Unfortunately, it was the Marx Brothers.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Played like a real band of brothers.

• Pac12Proud SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:42 a.m.

manaen | 10:35 a.m. Sept. 19, 2011

Heaps was not the best player for the Utes but he certainly was the most entertaining player for byu.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:35 a.m.

"Kyle Whittingham heaped (pun intended) plenty of praise on his team"

That's not a pun: Heaps was the best player for the Utes.

• Ross Madison, AL
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:01 a.m.

Utah State is a recovering Independent in Football, BYU should take note that Independence can destroy your football program. Not sure what the cause is exactly but could have to do with the motivation to a standard of play that a conference brings, week after week. Utah feels a motivation to be successful in their new conference, but what does independence mean? Notre Dame is the storied football independent program in football, they garner dollars in their sports coffers but not many wins on the field. A win over Ole Miss doesn't have much meaning this year as they will probably not have a single SEC conference victory the way they are going. So being independent seems to not be about winning so much against good teams but winning over average teams and drawing a big crowd, generating money for the sports programs. But will the fans put up with it for long? Time will tell.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:13 a.m.

I loved the Red Jersey with Red Pants combo against the BYU blue Jersey. Best look going.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:41 a.m.

This was a great win and I'm excited to see what the Utes can do the rest of the season and for the next several years. We have great young players in place for the next several years and a great coaching staff.

One thing I worry about it the team settling down after such a big win and focussing on the next opponent. Of course I know Coach Witt is the master at taking things one game at a time, but sometimes the players get their heads in the clouds and a big win like this over your in state rival can do that. Fortunately we have a buy this week so we have a little extra time for the players to get focussed.

Great game and Go Utes!!!

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Great game. You trashed us. Now go trash the PAC 12. You can do it.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Bill Freeze,

Couldn't agree more. You're the first BYU fan I've seen asking the team to just shut their mouths and play the game. I think your example will catch on with other cougar fans.

• Bill Freeze Lindon, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:35 a.m.

I missed the game Saturday as our family was in St. George watching "Grease" at Tuachan. Then late last night I turned on the ESPN replay and watched the first half. BYU played very physical in the first half and controlled the momentum right up until the end of the half when the Utes scored the long pass touchdown. No one could have predicted what would happen in the second half. You cannot make big mistakes in a game like this and expect to win. The Cougars must have had a total meltdown in the second half. I didn't watch the second half because that is not BYU football. Utah has a great team and we salute them for a strong performance. BYU will bounce back....if I had any suggestion for the BYU program now and in the future....don't talk about how great the team is or how you plan on going undefeated....just prove yourself every week and take it one game at a time....why give you opponent added motivation?

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 6:48 a.m.

Again, Whit finds diamonds in the rough. Quade Chappuis and Trevor Reilly were walk on players who have earned scholarships. Every season players like this emerge, or two star recruits like Stevenson Sylvester break through to become leaders. I like Utah's underclassmen this season and I think we have some incredible players on the rise. But I've got to give credit to Whit, Coach Sitake, Coach Schram etc, for knowing what kind of players this team needs and going out and finding them and coaching them up.

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:11 p.m.

@ SoCalUtahFan | 8:56 p.m. Sept. 18, 2011
    Utesville, CA

Good point. They beat themselves. Again.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:56 p.m.

...On the interception front, Quade Chappis picked off BYU quarterback Jake Heaps...

Actually, according to Jake Heaps...he might have given the ball to Chappis. Jake was not picked off. He gave the ball...:)

• Alwaysright Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:25 p.m.

Nice game Utah, you killed us. You out played us in every way....enjoy the victory. This was a good example of BYU not being prepared offensively, defensively, or on special teams. The talent is there, but the cohesiveness to make it all work is not. This was a pathetic embarrassment to all BYU fans everwhere. Utah came out ready with the dagger. Fantastic game Utah. Pathetic effort BYU. Can you salvage the season...go undefeated and you will only have 2 losses.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:21 p.m.

You know, at the half I was a bit worried. I was nervous that it would be 2007 or 2009 all over again. But wow! I mean...what can you really say? That was the biggest beat down I've ever seen the Utes give BYU in my whole life, and it was in Provo to top it off. Sorry Cougs, I really hope you have a good rest of the season. Because if you continue to lose then it just makes us both look bad. Go Utes!