Sports

Amy Donaldson: Why was this year's Utah-BYU rivalry so different?

Comments

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 25, 2011 10:40 a.m.

So, what Utah made BYU feel like is exactly the same as what TCU made Utah feel like. What goes around, comes around. Big deal.

When a team loses way worse than they were expecting, it wakes them up and they usually improve, knowing what weaknesses they need to fix.

However, Utah stumbled badly twice in a row, BYU didn't.

Next year should really be interesting with both teams seasoned a little more when they meet. I expect a better contest.

Rivalry? Not so much any more, unless BYU gets into the Big XII. Then it'll be an inter-conference rivalry that again adds more than in-state meaning to the game.

But the religious overtone will never go away.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 22, 2011 6:30 a.m.

U 90, BYU trash talks every time Utah loses. Every single time. Wake up.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Certainly this game lost much of it's past luster and importance to the Cougars and their fans-----(pause, pause---wait for it)------along about three minutes into the third quarter!!!!!

Didn't see that one comin' did you?! Nailed it. Winning. Go Utes!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:25 p.m.

I think Ute fans need to get off their high horse and BYU fans need to get over themselves.

The rivalry is all good. Before the Utes feel all superior, since LaVell became coach through Crowton/Mendenhall, it isn't good for the Utes. In the last 10-15 years it has been a great rivalry. I believe and most of the games were pretty close.

This game got ugly but it was close at halftime and the very type of game most expected-close, hard hitting and a defensive struggle. Things got bad and the Cougs were outcoached and outplayed, no doubt about it.

But before U. fans think they are too good to play BYU anymore, let's get off of that song. And for BYU fans, the sky is not fall--everyone relax and take a chill pill. Coach Mendenhall is a good coach, he'll get things straightened. And yes, the schedule will help and hurt (a lot of lousy home games) but down the road some good games are coming to LES and BYU will do just fine in the long haul.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:50 p.m.

One team plays football, one team plays public relations.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:47 p.m.

@JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt,

The Napolean-Dynamite analogy is very apt and likely one of the movie's points: Uncle Rico wears a *faded* blue shirt while talking about his glory football days in the past and Napolean sets the time machine for 1984, but then learns that he can't go back to that year.

Not bad for a product of a BYU grad, who apparently feels exactly that way.

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:25 p.m.

@utehaterforlife,
    Calm down now and take your medication. It will be all right. Really, it will. If your boys in blue win out, more power to them and I hope they enjoy their bowl game. No more wins for Utah this season? Think you'll be disappointed after Utah's next win in a couple of weeks. And you may need some more medication then too.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:12 p.m.

@Rocket Science: You lost me there buddy. Didn't make sense.

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

"A Utah man sir, a Utah man am I. A Utah man sir, will be til I die! Ki Yi" - President Monson

• BJR Duchesne, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:02 p.m.

My word I am shocked at most of the comments. This was just a game. In every game someone loses someone wins. In basketball BYU clobbered Utah . Why cant't we show some class in winning and in losing ? The most important thing in life is how we treat each other and we are not held accountable for who wins the most games. Put this in perspective and just enjoy the ride and help each other. Be careful of the words you speak make them soft and sweet. You never know from game to game which ones you have to eat.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Further explanation of my previous approved submittal:
    As far as the rivalry goes I was extremely disappointed with my news paper. When my son showed me what was delivered to my front porch Saturday morning he opened an included copy of the University of Utahs Chronical. He showed me articles full of religious slurs, many written by fellow members; OK, tongue n-cheek, just having fun, whatever Ive heard it all for years. However, within the included section of my delivered paper were articles which have vulgar headline words and discussions in the context as religious slurs. On Saturday my paper was delivered with the Church News, the reason I subscribe, and with the same delivery is included another section that slurs my religion using words this comment site prohibits as vulgar terminology. You will have to go to the particular section of Saturdays paper as I was not allowed to quote what had been printed.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:34 p.m.

@ Utehaterforlife | 12:28 p.m. Sept. 19, 2011
    Syracuse, UT

Oh the pain of 54-10.

Good luck in the WAC.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:46 p.m.

First, I need to say congratulations to the U from a life-long Cougar Fan. I stayed in the stadium until the end, Ute fans thoroughly and deservedly enjoyed the win and were good sports about it.

My previous attempts to submit this morning were denied because I included my disgust as I quoted headlines and words from articles delivered in an insert of the Chronical with my Saturday Deseret News. Quoted words considered inappropriate for this comment site.

• Utehaterforlife Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Have fun with your only two wins this year, while BYU goes 10-2 and still ends up in the top 25 and Utah doesn't and is home watching BYU in the bowl game, Utah won't win another game this year.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:57 a.m.

This was one of the more ridiculous games of the series. This game was the first game of no future rivalry. The Utes have gone another direction. They have the advantage of no standards for recruiting athletes. BCS is the name of the game. BYU has been exposed. BYU quarterbacking legacy is over. The current quarterback clearly demonstrated that truth. It now appears that BYU will be trying to hookup with the 'old' Big 12 no 10 with the possibility of not having Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, and or Texas in the conference. So what will that be like.....a joke? With the change at Utah let us please move on and forget about all the water under the bridge. It's over. I am personally embarassed about the game results. It was pathetic. There is no way to justifiy the results or explain it away. It's over. And this message is from a life long BYU follower/supporter. You Ute diehards please go away and move on to some other rivalry if you feel the need for one. Good bye.

• Porky Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:44 a.m.

It's simply "maturity"--i.e. growing up; moving on in life.
    As the old saying goes, "If you want to run with the Big Dogs, you gotta stop pissing with the pups." Utah is in the big league, now. Saturday proved the point that they shouldn't be wasting their time with "the pups."

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Because no one had any clue what the outcome would be?
    Go Utes!

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I'm really worried about ducky. I hope he hasn't done anything drastic. Come back Ducky. Eat this crow!

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Personally, I'm fine seeing this rivalry game die off. Even though I'm a Ute fan, I've always wanted to see the Y do well when they're not playing Utah. The Utes benefit from a solid program at BYU.

Of course I enjoyed watching the Utes pummel the Cougars Saturday night, although I was nervous that the score was only 7-3 after the first 3 turnovers. But the Cougars didn't make any corrections, the turnovers continued, and the Utes turned things up a notch. Nice win, Utes. And Bronco may need to call out Doman again.

But the talk before and after the game--yuck. Too many classless, unsportsmanlike comments on this comment board. The Cougars had two respectable games against Mississippi State and Texas. I look forward to the day we can root for our team without hating the opponent.

Go Utes! Good luck, Cougars!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:26 a.m.

I meant to say uncle rico. Just like byu's relevance, I haven't seen it in years. The Tupperware did burst and just like Rico driving off, BYU just quit.

BYU is also like the older brother and the Las Vegas bowl is his wife Lafonda. But still, I love technology always and forever.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:19 a.m.

@GoGetter

I suppose that you guys and gals who are into sports don't need this article, but folks like me who don't follow sports much enjoy articles like this. Articles like this help me understand what goes on in the world of sports. I'm proud of both the U and BYU and hope both schools do well in their games this year. I'm a USU alum, and I hope the Ags continue to do well. What I really hope is that all Utah schools continue to do well (and improve) academically, for that is the real reason why the schools exist.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:14 a.m.

In the 1980's there was no press. It was easy for the players to ignore what wasn't there anyway. These young players needed to be slapped in the face to bring some reality to their lives. Heaps is the worst of the bunch and the coaching staff and media have spoiled him into thinking he really is all that and all he has to do is show up. Well, he's partially right, he just doesn't understand what it means to REALLY show up! Kids these days lack the dedication it takes to excell. Stop talking to the press, and just get the basics of football down so we can win another game this year!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Fully realizing that my feelings right now might be a little colored by the fact that we won Saturday, I want the rivalry game to continue. By mid week last week I was fully into rivalry mode. It was a little different being so early in the season, but I didn't buy into the attitude of so many on both sides that it doesn't matter any more.

My fear is that the U administration and the Pac 12 conference have already tipped their hands that the rivalry game will not survive. The fact that they have scheduled us to play Colorado during the traditional rivalry week and now with more teams likely to come into the conference I'm getting nervous about it. Chris Hill has already said he will not ask the conference to make any special allowance for the game. Hopefully there are enough Crimson Club members with big money who want to see the game continue and might have some influence.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:45 a.m.

bradleyc,

Don't be naive, had BYU won the game you would be reading the same comments, only from the blue fans. Apparently you didn't see the BYU trash talking after Utah lost to USC or only beat Montana 27-10.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:33 a.m.

John jacob, did you even watch that movie? You've combined the older brother and the uncle into one person. Get your story straight!

• DucatiCR Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:18 a.m.

BYU even brought Jimmer out to hope they would win.

Note to BYU: You might want to stop riding the Jimmer (&TJ) Train. It gets a little old.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:59 a.m.

It wasn't any different. All the preseason hype made had BYU playing in the BCS championship. And that's always to be expected from the press. Reality, they just are not what they were represented to be.
    Utah has a much better program, bigger, faster athletes with more depth.
    The game and hype wasn't different, it was BYU and their demise. Which frankly was pretty entertaining.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:45 a.m.

So the Rivalry should be put on a 10 year timeout. The behavior I am seeing from fans on both sides but mostly on the Red side of things is very unbecoming of our good people. It is time to stop the rivalry, let clear heads prevail and then bring it back in 5 or 10 years. Just my thoughts.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:33 a.m.

@ Arynen
    I agree, he has struggled this entire year. The game against Utah he had some of the most terrible passes I have seen a college football player throw. I wont predict the demise of byu, the Utah fans who are doing this dont matter anyways.

• jdcray Richmond, VA
    Sept. 19, 2011 6:45 a.m.

@JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

Haha... funny, accurate analogy. Except the character you referenced first is actually Napoleon's UNCLE Rico. And the backing over the tupperware was done by ND's older brother, Kip. ;)

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:29 a.m.

Anymore vs. Right now.

We just simply aren't good with Heaps right now. For quarter of a century, it's gone back and forth between both schools. Doesn't mean BYU won't be good in the future. It's just a painful year because Heaps is proving to be no good. It'll fluctuate back, and then down again, and then back up again, just as it always does. Everyone predicting the demise of BYU football is just a little too emotional or arrogant.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:24 p.m.

Vandy crushed Ole Miss by 23 points, BYU beat Ole Miss by one point so maybe we're over shooting it there...:)

• Everest American Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:10 p.m.

BYU isn't good at football anymore. The Vanderbilt of the Rockies. Is that so bad?

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:08 p.m.

I thought once the game started that it seemed almost the same as past years. The fans at the game were generally civil, some trash talking, some ice throwing by some Ute fans but nothing too bad. Mostly a lot of Coug fans admitting their team was beat, our very mixed section had a good time, even some BYU fans were smiling and laughing as the game got out of hand. The fan dressed up as Brigham Young was priceless!

As far as the bloggers, a little bit more bitter on both ends.

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:37 p.m.

@GoGetter

It means everything to both teams. Nobody can say otherwise. I know some smug fans on both sides who claim it doesn't mean anything. It was a HUGE win for Utah and I will be willing to bet that at the end of the season, it will remain Utah's biggest win and BYU's worst, most painful loss.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:53 p.m.

I thought this article was:

1- Obvious enough that nobody needed to write an article about it.
    2- Misinformed (BYU needed this game to prove anything)
    3- Funny.

"It's a non-conference game, which means in some critical ways, it means less. Losing, however, is never on the agenda of any good team. It's also nothing a fan wants to endure."

It meant everything to BYU.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:39 p.m.

The cougars were very amped up for this game. They haven't looked as immature in past rivalry games as they did saturday- jumping, screaming, whooping, high fiving and trash talking every single play that gave them positive yardage, or every tackle that gave up less than 3 yards, and unfortunately every cheap shot they got away with.

This was undeniably the biggest game of the year in the minds of the players, and this over-excitement wore them out pretty quick.

This loss will do irreparable damage to the psyche of those young and immature players.

Utah players didn't let the rivalry get to them too much and kept a steady balanced approach mentally and emotionally to this game. If they can stay this way throughout the season, they will be able to capitalize on the mental mistakes of all their opponents.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:25 p.m.

54 - 10 isn't a game, it's a drubbing.

When I went to the U no one went to see the Utah, bYu game because it was such a waste of time. We always won. Wyoming was our greatest rival back in the day.

Good luck to bYu playing for the championship of nothing.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:11 p.m.

BYU is like Rico, the older brother of Napoleon Dynamite who lives in a van in the middle of nowhere to be independent reliving glory from decades ago while thinking they are still relevant.

Cougars, yesterday's game was that moment where you, Rico, backed up over that tupperware and to your surprise it burst under pressure.

Other than that, this years rivalry is exactly the same give or take Pac 12 conference membership.

• eagle651 Chino Valley, AZ
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:21 p.m.

Hope Utah did not use all their points up for the season on this one game.
    Have a great 2011 season. Looking for that Bowl game.