Sports

Dick Harmon: Utes rose up while Cougars bungled

Comments

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 20, 2011 7:33 p.m.

@Idablu: as far as you implication that I didn't understand the mission of the Church, I thought it was to bring souls to Christ. Dod I misunderstand that somehow?

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 20, 2011 4:50 p.m.

@Idablu: was the positive light shed on Jimmer's for the Church or for BYU? Is there any difference in your mind? Whether you want to believe it or not the resentment (not hate) is really out there and is growing. It will grow every tiea kid with excellent credentials is denied admission while a "legacy" from the same ward with lesser credentials is admitted, every time a fan belittles someone else.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 20, 2011 4:27 p.m.

@Idablu: I don't hate BYU. It might be a good idea as a member of a favored class to consider how we feel

1. A BYU grad is overwhelmingly more likely to be called to the councils of the Church than a grad of a southern university. Go check.
    2. You have never had your faith or worthiness questioned because of your choice in schools (check these posts for proof)
    3. You were never considered not good enough to attend.
    4. You never had to sit through a CES discussion on why you should support BYU when your team was making a run at a national championship
    5. Had a young man asked if his passion, like Jimmer's and Jake's, exempted him from serving a mission.
    6. Listened to all the reasons why BYU should be my aspirational choice, and by implication, that your school was not.

I fully support BYU and his mission, but can we have at least one thing that is better elsewhere? do I have to concede everything to you? Let me have my teams and please accept that my teams just might be better.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 20, 2011 12:40 a.m.

Re:eascoastcougs question-
    It is fans like Papasmurf and Randy01 (and many, many other LDS Ute fans) that really make me shake my head. Why are you threatened by athletic success of BYU? Sure, there are a few knuckleheaded, prideful fans that don't represent themselves very well just like any other college, but as an institution sanctioned by the Church, BYU represents itself quite well. The standards that BYU imposes on itself are pretty high and for the most part, the moral character of the average graduate is pretty high. In my experience the overwhelming majority of attendees and alumni of BYU are NOT the judgmental and self righteous that Randy01 alleges.

I can understand if you don't want to support BYU but to HATE everything BYU , from the perspective of a member of the LDS Church, does not compute. BYU has their imperfect advocates, but is that a reason to hope for BYU's failure in their quest for national exposure? Like it or not, the success of Jimmer, for example, has shed a very positive light on the Church. This is a bad thing? If it is, then you don't understand the mission of the Church.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:08 p.m.

I'm tired of BYU fans saying that Utah was given the game (although they do the same thing every time Utah beats byu). Take away the two gimme turnovers, #1 and the muffed kickoff, and the points that came because of them, and Utah still wins 40-10. 30 points is still a blowout my friends!

If all 7 turnovers were gimmes from BYU, then I would agree that Utah was not that much better than byu, but when the ball is stripped, knocked out, forced out on sacks, and intercepted off a trip drill, those are earned turnovers. When an offense gains nearly 500 yards, that is not one team giving the game to the other, that's domination, that's one team taking the game into control and getting the job done.

I wish Utah would have scored one more touchdown at the end of the game. They clearly could have and BYU deserved to see the score get run up because of their lack of respect for us, evidenced by their dirty play and by rolling over and dying at the end of the game and not giving the U their best.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:42 p.m.

seriously worf? how about uale's helmet to helmet? there was one pass interference call on byu that i thought shouldn't have been called and plenty of times i saw byu holding up utah's linemen that never got flagged either. besides, pac 10 refs haven't really held you up in the past. remember when locker threw the ball in the air and the refs flagged him for that? how about the last handful of pac 12 opponents byu and utah have defeated before they left the mwc? washington, oregon, oregon state, cal, arizona, ucla. blaming the refs is a terrible way to disguise the fact that byu quit

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Two things you can go to the bank on:

1. BYU is not as bad as they looked.
    2. The Utes are not as good as they looked.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Never fear! The ref bug will hit the utes.

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Sept. 19, 2011 6:26 p.m.

@ worf | 4:32 p.m. Sept. 19, 2011
    Mcallen, TX

We know, you were cheated. All 54 points worth.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:14 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug: here is the basic problem of why many LDS dislike BYU sports, too many of the fans and in some cases the administration extrapolate a testimony into a view that all things LDS are better. This just isn't so, but many BYU fans can't accept that as a concept and read any opposition as persecution. When I elected not to go to BYU over 30 years ago, it was assumed that I was not going on a mission and I was constantly questioned about my choice of universities. My choice of a program to support is a cultural/social issue not a reflection of my religious beliefs.

The bottom line is that BYU fans unwillingness to understand is restrictive and resented. As the percentage of college educated members who did not attend BYU grows, resentment will too. I believe that any goodwill the promotion of the program provides will be offset by the bad feelings it will engender within the Church itself. It will contribute to a class structure within the Church. Notre Dame doesn't have this problem because their are many alternates for higher education across the country.

End the program now.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 4:32 p.m.

@Dand_Ute,

Look at the amount of penalties against Ole Miss, Texas, Oregon, & Oregon State and Oklahoma when there were no pac-12 refs. Oklahoma could also tell you about corrupt pac-10 refs. Not taking anything away from the utes, but pac-12 refs are corrupt. They disguise it well. Why do you think they use their refs at away & out of conference games?

• AZ Ute Scottsdale, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2011 4:16 p.m.

Brother Heaps, time to reconsider the mission. When you return to BYU in two years, you will be in a BCS conference with speedier, more sure-handed receivers, a better o-line and some running backs who can gain more than 11 yards on the ground.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 19, 2011 3:03 p.m.

I have no answers for the State of The Cougar Football. I had to quit watching the fiasco at 31-10. Almost threw up my game pizza....

Heaps does not appear to have any Fight or Heart in him. He is too afraid of getting hit and hurt to get after it.It appears that way anyway.

Come on Cougs! Get after it!!!!!

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:45 p.m.

BYU fans and Church politics are the reason BYU will never be able to recruit a great football coach. As a LDS member, Im well versed in the BYU fan know-it-all belief system. Whit made the absolute right decision to coach Utah, and rest assured, he is thankful he doesnt have to answer to the nonsensical BYU fans and boosters. I lived through the 70's and 80's as a Utah County Ute fan, and the diatribe I've read the past two days reminds me why I will always be a Ute fan.

• Dand_Ute WEST JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Worf? Really you're going to blame that on the Pac-12 Refs? Come on!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Eastcoastcoug,

It is very easy to be LDS and hate your own church school. I am very LDS, and I absolutely HATE everything BYU. Not what they stand for, but how they act on the feild, out in public, etc. The exposure they so desperately want from ESPN, is going to be their downfall. I love my church, by don't rob me of the HATE that I have for the school and everything about their program. I'm surprised that Roscoe didn't say he wasn't convinced that the better team did not win again.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:39 a.m.

This is not sour grapes, but there some obvious observations. Many plays in basketball and football are judgement calls. Usually you hope refs call it even for both sides.

My observations:

1. The pac-12 supply refs for out of conference-away games.
    2. Pac-12 doesn't like BYU because of its religious beliefs.
    3. It would be unexceptable for BYU to beat both Utah and Oregon State after being rejected from the conference.
    4. BYU had more penalties in this game than either Ole Miss or Texas. Penalties which could have gone either way, were called on the Cougs.
    5. Drives which would have been second and two, became first and fifteen after a holding call. Pass interference could have gone either way and yes the Utes had a similar play with a no-call.
    6. There were other close calls (which could have gone either way) against the Cougs. Stalled momentum.

The Utes played a great game, but in my opinion, the pac is corrupt and that's why they insist on using their own refs at out of conference-away games.

• UTE Fan in Texas Prosper, TX
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:57 a.m.

The Cougars were simply outplayed and outcoached. Nobody needs to be fired as adjustments need to be made. I have read a number of comments giving excuses as to why the Cougars lost, i.e. turnovers, defense was tired, etc. Give credit where credit is due. The UTES came into this game better prepared and obviously in better condition. To take one out of Bronco's playbook, the UTES "Executed". I believe the Cougars will get back on track and they are going to win some games. This might be a good opportunity to try out Lark in a game situation. The Cougars have to get more offensive production as one offensive touchdown a game is not going to win many games. Best of luck to the Cougars the rest of the way.

• Observer15 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:05 a.m.

It's an odd thing...we the so called "fans". What exactly are we fans of? Arm chair remarks by people who have never been on the field, endless taunting and name calling, hoping for failure and mass firings? Waiting with baited breath for anything to go terribly wrong so we can say, "We told you so"...and ridicule it to no end? We want to replace people like batteries. Let the competition play out-good or bad and let's try and be dignified enough to give critical comment at the end of a season when the body of work is closed for the year. We live in a drive through, immediate satisfaction, "want everything now" environment. Take some time to relish the wins and rethink the hate. But some how, that never seems to be enough for us...

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:21 a.m.

I have said "it" since the kid made an announcement in a sports' bar with his agent - Heaps is not that good, but the "Y" will never put their foot in their mouth and give anyone else a chance. Heaps can commit mistake after mistake and he will never get pulled! Very Sad!, and not just for the team and fans, but for the remainder of QB's that work off their tail ends and have to watch as their hopes and dreams continue to be smashed by pride and politics.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:02 p.m.

This too shall pass.

Greener padtures are coming: it's called Idaho, idaho State, New Mexico State and San Jose State. If BYU can also manage to beat one of these too: TCU, USU, Hawaii, or UCF...they'll still match last year's regular season record.

I still see them getting to 8 wins.

Don't call for Bronco's head, he is 6th in the nation in active win percentage. Doman is just learning---at least give him the full season before you chase him out.

Heaps is still a kid. He may not be the wunderkind Y fans were preaching this summer, but he has a strong arm. Give that guy a decent north-south running game and Y fans will be back taking smack on these boards in no time.

Last year when they were 1-5 I said the same thing. I don't think it will get that bad this year.

This too shall pass.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:37 p.m.

Worst showing since Mendenhall took over as head coach and the most disappointing thing about it was the defense just quit in the second half. I have never seen a Mendenhall coached defense just flat out quit like they did last night. As for the offense, the RBs are the most disappointing unit so far this season imo. They have produced very little and have fumble problems. Kariya cannot pickup a blitz, both juice and Di Luigi had costly fumbles.

Terrence Brown is a senior and still botches a shotgun snap, thats the second one already this season, inexcusable. And then there is Falslev who allows a kickoff to bounce off his helmet and then gets out hussled by a ute player to recover it. And them he proceeds later in the game to let a pass bounce off his hands and get intercepted. Hey Falslev hang onto the football or take a seat on the bench!

And please tell me why Mendenhall doesn't hold his players accountable for the mistakes they made? I respect him for taking blame but he is taking too much of the blame, Hold your players accountable when they make costly inexcusable mistakes!

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:03 p.m.

I'm not sure that Doman needs to be fired. He deserves some time to prove himself. But perhaps he needs to relieved of his duties as QB coach. I think those 2 jobs could be quite conflicting. OC needs to be in the booth, QB coach needs to be on the sideline. OC, especially a rookie one, needs time to develop the offense without distractions. A young QB needs a coach who can devote his undivided attention to help in developing him. Doman proved himself over the past 6 seasons to be a very good QB coach. Heaps showed promise last year when he had Doman's total attention. Perhaps the best thing for the BYU offense would be for Doman to be able to concentrate on his OC duties and leave QB coaching to someone else.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:43 p.m.

Looks like Ducky took Sammyg with him.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:51 p.m.

@ JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt | 6:32 p.m. Sept. 18, 2011
    Beverly Hills, CA

"Hope that doesn't happen to you BYU fan, it would be pretty devastating."

So devastating that their fearless leader Duckhunter has gone MIA.

LOL

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:40 p.m.

Here is a fun byu fact: byu's offense has given away as many TDs as they have scored themselves this year, (3); they were also outscored by Utah's defense last night.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:34 p.m.

I am happy for my Utah fanbase friends. What a fun night to be had, and I wish you many more this season.

BYU fanbase friends, remember that you have wonderful families, and this was just a game.

Life goes on.

I get tired of the pre-game smack, but Utes, your team earned the postgame smack this year. You won the scoreboard HUGE. Smack away. That was an awesome display by your team last night.

Congrats to Coach Whittingham, his staff, and all the players for your efforts.

Kyle is a classy guy, and this was a well deserved game.

To the BYU staff and players, forget about this one and move onto the next one.

Life is good.

I have played and coached many sports for a long time. Nights like last night are special. Enjoy this one.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:32 p.m.

Wouldn't it be a nightmare if you woke up one morning and your rival won 2 BCS games, joined a BCS conference leaving you behind and then you get beat by 44 in the upcoming rivalry game where you talk a lot of trash?

Hope that doesn't happen to you BYU fan, it would be pretty devastating.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:12 p.m.

BYU should put Lark in - he is much more representative of the mission of the University. He has overcome much adversity in his life and I would bet on him having more than a little guts!

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Texas found its quarterback by allowing them to play in a real game. Why not give Lark an opportunity. BYU has not been successful by talent alone.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:44 p.m.

It's time to start Lark at quarterback. Heaps can't hit the broad side of an Idaho barn. This team better get back to the basics real quick.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:32 p.m.

It's so interesting how last year, so many Y fans called for Mendenhall's job when BYU went 1-4.

Then they started winning, and all those Y fans denied they called for Mendenhall's job. They repeated how Bronco was among the best coaches in the nation, and they would never want him gone.

Now, its deja vu all over again. Y fans are again calling for Mendenhall's job. When BYU gets to the easy part of the schedule, and BYU starts winning again, they will once again deny that they ever wanted Mendenhall fired.

Watch and see.

• LogicInduced Ogden, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:12 p.m.

The worst news for BYU isn't last night's game, but the strong rumor of Texas, TT, Okla, and OK St., going to the Pac 12(16). Also, ND is awash with confusion after the blow up of the Big East. The 4 super conferences and their defacto playoff is going to happen now. And if the Big 12 dies, with the ACC becoming the 4th super conference, BYU will be shutout. The previous are strong rumors as of now. My own speculation about a defacto playoff just makes sense. They won't call it a playoff, but the winners of the 4 conference champions will advance to the Rose and Sugar Bowls. There will be a Plus One, but there will be almost zero chance of an outsider, even an indy ND, getting in that game with the increased strength of schedule. It eliminates possible lawsuits and will generate a one game national playoff. I'm a Utah fan, but I would hate to see BYU left out, so I'm hoping Texas creates their own super conference with ND, Florida St., and Oklahoma with BYU too. But none of that is speculated now...just my own hope.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Sept. 18, 2011 4:36 p.m.

The ESPN deal is fantastic BYU fans. Not only can you watch them get rolled by Utah. You can tune in to BYU TV and watch the same beat down on replay!

Go Cougs!

• essay Redwood Valley, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 4:17 p.m.

While BYU has made some recent questionable moves (cough-cough-Doman-cough), those that state this game either shows that BYU was never any good or that the independence experiment is a failure or this game marks the end of BYU sports - geez, that's really reaching. It's one game and granted, they stunk up the place good, they still have a huge history of success, beating PAC-10 teams, winning bowl games, etc. etc. Don't write BYU off dead yet, they'll be back.

One of Mendenhall's strengths is that he can identify a problem and turn things around. I doubt things will stay the same this week - be interesting to see what the shake-up will be.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Utah's offense still stinks, BYU's is worse, I'll grant you, but I still fear for Utah's season. Without a complete and total meltdown by the Cougars, Utah wins this game by a very small margin. The Utes can't expect teams to have "worst night of the century" every game against them. Wynn had all day to pass. I'm crippled and I could have passed for 300 yards given the time he had. He won't get that time against a defense that's prepared.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:53 p.m.

To answer the question "how can you be Mormon and hate the Church school"?

It's not the Church school that is hated in the least. As a Mormon and a Ute grad, it's the bYu fans that bug me. I get harassed if and when I go to church, when I am in my office and anytime I wear my colors. bYu fans are nasty, contemptuous and outright poor sports.

Personally, I do silently cheer for bYu when they play other schools other than Utah State. I think it's good for the state and community to have two, three and more schools that are winners.

My heart goes to Utah State and for their great program and the progress they are making. My wife is an Aggie. I have to love the AG's.

We read here for months about how our Utes would be cellar dwellers in the PAC 12 from Cougar fans. I guess it's better to be in a conference and have something to play for than to be Independent and have nothing to aim for or have any goals to reach. I guess firesides are funner than playing football.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Just like 1996, we've hit bottom. Now we will see what our cougars are really made of. Will they fight, or keel over.
    On another note, Back in the 70's, there was a QB named Nielsen. He stunk it up and was benched for it. He learned his lesson, and was ready when the coaches came back to him after the other QB's couldn't get it done, and he went on to nearly win the Heisman until a knee injury prematurely ended his senior year.
    Learn from the past, or we will duplicate the stupidity. Bench Heaps. If he's going to be worth his salt, he'll earn the spot back. You can't build confidence by patting someone on the head. You build confidence in yourself when you have accomplished something tangible.

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:23 p.m.

I don't understand how anyone could have thought BYU had a chance to win this game. I knew it all along. The victory at ole miss was so terrible it was almost fake. I knew how bad ole miss was, the worst team in the SEC with only 3 starters returning on an 8 loss defense - then the shut byu out for 55:22seconds, only to have BYU score a defensive touchdown and 1 offensive TD in the final 4:38, I gave no credit for that game, other than knowing how bad BYU actually was. Why did the fans lie to themselves?

Then the fake "close game" at texas. Fake. Texas showed dominance. BYU scored 1 TD in the first half, and did not gain a single first down the entire second half. The game was not close. An 7 loss (last in big 12) texas team was never, never, going to lose that game.

Then Utah... Dominates it opener. Goes to a great USC team on the road and has a chance to tie it with a blocked FG with 11 seconds left.

There was no depute who would win in provo,for a sane person

• I'll call it Ogden, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:21 p.m.

So many upset Cougars fans. Calm down. Take a chill pill.

The real cougar (the mountain lion) with Steve Young and the Jimmer was awesome! A real highlight! Excellent work, who put that together?

The season isn't over. There is the potential to win at least six more games:
    1) USU @ BYU... 50/50 chance
    2) San Jose St @ BYU... need a few more highlights to go with that contest
    3) BYU @ Oregon St... 50/50 chance... both teams will be improved
    4) Idaho St @ BYU... home schedule getting better all the time... I can't get anyone to take my tickets for this one
    5) Idaho @ BYU... Idaho has been talking smack... maybe the Cougars show up for this one
    6) New Mexico St @ BYU... someone will win this game

TCU, Central Florida, Hawaii... until the Cougar offense decides they want to be mentally tough and play with a little heart - forget about it! 7 and 5 at best this year.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Peruano

Wake up and smell the coffee oh yeah the pero, Heaps has skills but he has zero courage, zero heart and no leadership skills whatsoever that will never get it done.

High School is not D1 football he can't show up on this stage and punk men who have life lessons learned not prep-school head pats that tell you, that you are all world and you naively soak it up.

That is the limit of this kids heart and desire, he is a selfish resume padding prima-dona that can't handle the real world and real world team mates that are beyond him in life and experience, no it is not only Doman who is in over his head.

I see a big "L" after UCF, USU, TCU and Oregon State if Heaps remains as the starter.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:10 p.m.

To answer many questions, Riley was put in in the 4th because the game was over and the 2nd stringers need some playing time. I do think they should have brought in Riley first in the 3rd quarter. Then bring the rest of the 2nd stringers to preserve the 1st stringers from any possible injuries throughout the rest of the blowout that was starting to take place.

• Ex Cougar South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:09 p.m.

It is high time for Bronco (I'm a preacher, not a coach) Mendenhall to pack up and leave. Oh, and by the way, take Brandon (Gee, it worked on Madden XBox football) with you. We should also free up some scholarship money by sending Jake (I won't jump on that fumble because I might break a nail) Pretty Boy Heaps to Dixie College. That is assuming they'll have him.

• Undefeated Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:51 p.m.

I have never ever seen a team just flat give up before. Not high school, not small college, not anywhere. BYU, especially the defense, absolutely quite playing and what's worse they quit caring.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:49 p.m.

You know, turnovers should really not be an excuse for a loss or win. The reason: A good defense will force them. I thought Utah's few turnovers on USC last week was just a fluke (bad ball-handling on their part). However, I saw the BYU game and realized it wasn't just a coincidence. Utah's defense is solid and tackles perfectly, strips the ball on the opportunities, put the helment on the ball, etc. I really think it's just Utah's defense.

Then there was that Hypes fumble, 3rd play in the game. That was just a gift, courtesy of the biggest QB busts in BYU history.

Go Utes! On to Washington!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Bet when Anae saw the BYU-Utah score, a wry smile crossed his face, even if only for a moment.

Doubt he's the type to gloat, but he's human, so must have chuckled a little.

• J.Newey Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Does Jimmer have any eligibility left? The football team could sure use him!

• truth_avenger Lehi, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:32 p.m.

If Bronco were as moral and ethical as he purports to be he would return his inflated salary for coaching football since he has not done anything remotely like that. Selecting Doman as offensive coordinator is truly offensive since he isn't capable of the job. Heaps has become another Matt Berry--highly recruited yet delivering nothing. Doman was a mediocre quarterback who has remained in the BYU system incapable of finding work elsewhere. When Bronco says football isn't the most important thing then I ask why work in it? Would you go to a physician who didn't consider medicine to be the most important thing? More than once over his history of embarrassing losses Bronco has invoked the term out-coached. If he's getting out-coached then get out of coaching!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:29 p.m.

One of the points of emphasis this week is that it doesnt have to be close, said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham.

Really, Kyle?

So let me ask you these:

1) why did you not call an onside kick midway through Q3 when it was still "close" at 30-10? I was begging you to do so.

2) why then did you put in 2nd and 3rd stringers early in Q4?

This could be a 68-10 game. Ok, we (Utes fan) will forgive you for these "mistakes". Don't do them again next year!

...:)

• bentheute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:19 p.m.

maybe they should start executing at practice instead of doing slip'n'slides and going to movies. GO UTES!!! kyle whittingham=c.o.y.

• mrmugooo Snohomish, WA
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:02 p.m.

To be fair... Heaps needs coaches who can help him succeed. He has the tools, but I'm starting to think he doesn't have the mentors. We all wanted Anae to get canned after last season but now we have someone with less OC experience than Anae had when he started with the Cougs. I gotta say (and I really hate to) I think the Utes are a better team this year - players, coaches, 'n all.. And I'm not sure it's going to get any better. We may be seeing the end of Cougar Football (even before the independent thing ever got started - poor ESPN)

• Peruano80 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:01 p.m.

All of these over-emotional Cougar fans need to calm down and gather themselves. Jake Heaps isn't good right now, but he will be great. Rather than focusing on the bad throws (and there were quite a few), look at the throws he made... deep posts routes to Hoffman, fade route to Apo. He's missing the easy throws now, because he's not patient, maybe afraid to get hit, but with his talent and ability, he will emerge to be one of BYU's better quarterbacks. How good was John Beck as a sophomore? Remember Max Hall's early tendency to throw interceptions his first starting season. Jake Heaps, in 2011 has faced quick, fast and athletic defenses in his first 3 games. Yes, he needs to get better. Yes, Doman needs to get more comfortable. Yes, maybe Bronco needs to allow his team to focus on FOOTBALL only at times. Don't be like the spoiled little kid who throws a fit in the toys store 'cause his mommy won't by him a toy. BYU will recover. The Cougars will be back. 2012 will be a memorable year for BYU. You can't underestimate experience and right now, BYU doesn't have it.

• reggieaggie Logan, ut
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Remember! Its not about winning its about building life lessons for these young men. Life is tough when on National ESPN.

• jmort SLO, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:47 p.m.

The BYU players do not seem to be in shape (i.e., properly physically conditioned). I'm surprised people don't seem to be noticing this, but for a couple years now they have been fading in the second half when they play better conditioned teams. I don't think it's so much that the D gave up, but rather couldn't physically keep up at the end.

• fender Washington, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Eagle

"But to me he's the best offensive player BYU has."

Wow! A perfect example of the Kool-Aid drinking by Y fans. There is nothing but the hype to back up that statement. This kid came to BYU with a fat high school rep and a press agent passing out his clippings. His parents paid for a professional QB coach to teach him nice mechanics, but unfortunately no coach can turn a kid into a playmaker. When the lights come on, he can't make a read, and I've said it since day one. He avoided the weight room and turned off a number of teammates with his attitude. He's flat out not a prime time guy. Nelson has been better in a game situation than Heaps and Lark would be better still in my opinion. If BYU wants any chance, they ought to be looking at the options.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:35 p.m.

@Mike, Chicago born et al,

I don't think BYU fans are any more rabid than those at other schools. I've lived all my adult life outside Utah and other fans are FAR more into their teams. What is it you people want, exactly? I've been around this rivalry long enough to know that while BYU fans are certainly not perfect, some Mormons (and non LDS) just can't stand anything nice to be said about BYU, while they're sending their kids there and living next to BYU neighbors. I see far more similarity in the kids that go to both schools than what is being made of it by some fans - on both sides. It's just weird and I don't think the word "hate" belongs in the vocabulary on either side. I enjoy the teasing, but as far as "Hate", I teach my kids otherwise...

I'm the first to say we've gotten too big for our britches and that it would be better to go to and win some BCS bowls before clamoring for a bigger conference and ESPN, etc. After this loss, we've got a long ways to go.

• whatnext Clearfield, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:33 p.m.

I didn't see the game and I am very glad I didn't. From what I've read this game was ridiculously one sided. I am a big BYU fan but if they continue playing like this I won't be watching or reading anything else about this team for the remainder of the season. Its one thing to play your very best and lose a game, you can at least hold your head high and say we did the best we could. But when you don't play up to your potential thats entirely different ballgame. There is no excuse for the way BYU played last night, just unexceptable. BYU get your act together or risk playing in front of small fan base.

• Pagosa Kid SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Reminded me of the Boise St and CSU debacles during the Crowton years. Embarrassing. I say promote Lance Reynolds to OC and move Doman to QB coach. Reynolds is the only coach that can take over the offense - Bronco can't do it. And I say lets give James Lark the first team reps - Riley Neilsen is not the answer, come on. He's a gutty kid but not a D1 QB. Need some dramatic changes. These 3 teams BYU has played are all very average. Utah will be a 7-5 team in the PAC 12, Ole Miss will be a lower SEC team and Texas will be a 7-5 team in the BIG 12.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:18 p.m.

I do agree that pick against Ole Miss was horrible, not the interception per se as they happen, but making absolutely the weakest effort to tackle the guy was weak.

I still think he's the best option. The other option is Nelson and we should know now that he isn't really an option. But Lark may be the option. You have to trust the BYU coaches in their evaluation of talent at some point but those calling for Heaps to be benched in favor of Nelson, well that isn't going to make things better at all. Whoever is in there still has the same problem of having suspect playmakers. And Heaps, nor most quarterbacks for that matter except for maybe Peyton Manning, isn't good enough to not have any kind of running back. When you have to throw the ball 50 times plus to win a game, you lose 90% plus of the time.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:18 p.m.

It's not fun beating a dead horse. Hope the y has a break out game this week so that I can razz them next week about my Aggies.

• Be Practical Sandy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:11 p.m.

All together.."Rise and Shout, the Cougs were blown out!"

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:32 a.m.

X PG

I am glad more people are now seeing the truth about this poser, prima dona kid who has been shuffled out on this BYU stage as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Jake Heaps will now be forever synonymous with the worst beating taken by a BYU football team in the history of the BYU vs. the University of Utah rivalry.

Jake you made it you are in the history books congratulations.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Heaps isn't tough enough to play qb

Throws a pick 6 at miss St and makes no effort for contact

He won't run

He was so scared at getting hit he did an air pass in panic and cost BYU thevgame and set the tone and wasnt a leader

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Heaps hasn't played well and was awful last night. But to me he's the best offensive player BYU has. They have absolutely no playmakers. When White broke for a long run, I thought to myself, "that's what a dynamic running back looks like. When Anderson caught that ball and made a cut leaving BYU defenders frozen, I got that's what an athletic receiver looks like."

At least Detmer, Sarkisian, McMahon, Young, Bosco etc. were surrounded by playmakers that could get open and catch the ball. These QB's actually had some RB's that could break tackles, move the pile, and even make some semblance of an athletic move. Again, Heaps was horrible last night but one can see the talent. I've seen film of him in high school, he was a blue chip athlete. But without much talent to play with, especially in the skill positions, no QB is going to do well in this system.

I also agree Doman needs to go in the press box. I think he can get better in time. Coaches have learning curves as well as players.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:57 a.m.

I have degrees from both Utah and BYU, but I love Utah in athletics and stayed up late here in Virginia watching the game. But, I don't hate BYU.

My issue with some BYU fans is the drama--it is always feast or famine with many of them. They go from "God's anointed" showing no respect for anybody else to soul searching despair and calling for the firing or benching of their heroes of only a few short weeks ago. There seems to be no in between for many BYU fans. I can't live like that and I know there are BYU fans who don't either. I have no problem with fans trash talking about rivalries, but do you have to bounce from extreme to extreme like so many BYU fans do? It is a game that is supposed to be fun. And sometimes you're on the positive end of a beating and sometimes on the negative end. And sometimes there are good hard fought games that go down to the wire. No real fan of a team goes from a perch of arrogance to self pity so quickly. I have been tired of that all my life.

• Mountain Cat Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:56 a.m.

Heaps had no protection and no chance.

Looking forward to basketball season....

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Wow--I've always thought that Harmon was the biggest homer since Lee Benson, but he nailed this one. No excuses and all credit given to the better team. Harmon finally manned up. And BTW---so did Bronco and quite a few knowledgable BYU fans. Nobody gave anything to Utah last night. They took it.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Well, I can't say I didn't see this coming. I stated time and time again that Anae was not the problem. Doman I have always said was in over his head, and now BYU is paying the price. Bronco is the blame for this fiasco! Maybe He should surround himself with a little more Polynesian coaching influence, like Kyle Whittingham has. Just a suggestion, since your roster is over 60% Polynesian!

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:46 a.m.

I am another theory. When TCU was added to the MWC it became clear that it was now a three team race and BYU did not have the athletes to compete with TCU and UTah in the long run. Next thing they know Boise is coming to the conference and BYU now sees itself third or fourth every year. They hatch a plan to go independent, schedule a whole lot of mid majors and a couple of BCS schools. They are willing to accept 2-3. Defeats a year, beat the mid majors and boast that they have a high winning percentage and should get into major bowls. Hence the scheduling of the Webers and Houstons along with Idaho schools. Problem is they generate so much hype as not being treated fairly that when they are exposed it is very embarrassing. There is no plan to play the big boys all the time.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:39 a.m.

The blogs are hard hitting and straight to the point. About time the shine new penny luster has completely vanished from the cougar fans concerning their over hyped and over sold, over actor Heaps.

It is now time to put the players in that want to win games not pad there resume with lofty numbers and you tube video hype.

You live by the hype and you go all the way down to the bottom of the ocean with the sinking hype/Heap ship when the truth torpedoes you.

Heaps will for ever be linked to the worst loss in history to the University of Utah Running Utes, now that is a real resume building fact.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:36 a.m.

I've heard Pastry shops in Provo are having a special on turnovers; Its like they are giving them away.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:29 a.m.

@one vote
    ...
    BYU passed on Chow and Whittingham...the program was looking for something other than winning football games...

BYU did not pass on Whittingham. Whittingham smartly passed on BYU.

And...
    "We were outcoached, outplayed and outexecuted the entire game," said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall.

Well, Bronco, did the better team win last night--as you thought the best team did not win the 2010 game?

• OldUtahAggieinTexas Spring, Texas
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:27 a.m.

It was not all Utah. BYU outplayed Utah in the first half, so much so that I switched to another game. I was disgusted by the lack of offense shown by Utah. I figured it was just a mater of time till BYU started making the plays they were just missing and the end would be lopsided with BYU on top. I was quite surprised when I tuned back it to find it 47 -10 for Utah. When BYU finally puts a complete game together, they will be awesome. I hope Utah keeps the offence it found in the second half, because I figured after they way they started against MSU and continued against USC, they had already won all the games they would this year. They still may have.

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:22 a.m.

@eastcoastcoug
    I can kind of see what you are saying. I share a strong disdain for Notre Dame and I always enjoy watching them lose. And me being Catholic, I don't dislike them because they are Catholic, I just dislike how they feel they are entitled to something they haven't earned. I think it's the same thing for some LDS Utah fans and how they feel about BYU. I think the people using the word hate aren't directed it at the Mormon faith. They just don't like the attitude shared by some at that school and the people associated with BYU athletics. But maybe I'm way off.

• VictorVonTrap Draper, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:18 a.m.

1. Either Bronco needs to get a defensive coordinator or find a replacement for his head coaching position. He can't perform well in both positions.
    2. Heaps is not as good as advertised - the Y needs a JC transfer next season at QB. Start Lark - Heaps and Nelson have peaked.
    3. The Y needs a running and power back.
    4. Norm Chow schooled the Y. Did the Y ever offer Chow the OC position? Did he turn them down?
    5. Doman is in over his head.
    6. The Y looks like it will lose next week to another Florida team. This is shaping up to be a five / six loss season. Look for Hawaii and USU to beat the Y.

• bluemoon1977 Provo, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I had hoped for better, but what a perfect storm for the Utes. Congratulations to them and even their most obnoxious fans.

As for BYU, this was a Crowtonesque defeat. As bad as being annihilated by Colorado State and by Boise State in the first part of the decade.

The major difference in the game was coaching. Special teams was a disaster. In fact, special teams has been a disaster for years. Need to rethink the whole thing. A coach needs to be fired.

Better get Lance Reynolds back to coaching the running backs.

There is much more to say. Let's hope Bronco and the coaching staff have a long meeting on Monday with the AD.

Yesterday's performance was unacceptable. Period. Coaches have lost their jobs over stuff like this.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:06 a.m.

All last week, most of the so-called experts wrote/said...BYU was better team, Heaps was better QB, etc

Those who watched on nation-wide ESPN2 knew who was better team and better QB.

To say the least, Utes destroyed BYU totally.
    Whatever respect it might have nationwidegone!
    Whatever doubts Utes might have on whether it belonged in Pac-12gone!

Lets be honestWynn and Utah offense looked much better following up on the good showing at USC, but still not 100%
    If Wynn and offense continue to improvethis Utah team will win the South.

• x Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:59 a.m.

First of all, "I admire Bronco for his statement" give me a break. It's easy to say that, why don't you fix it? When are you going to outcoach, outperform and outclass your opponent? Hasn't happened this year!

Second, I've finally bought in to others' statements that Jake Heaps has no heart. His heart isn't into the game! He won't take the big hit for his team! He won't run 5 yards of open field for the first, instead he elects to pass every time! He always slides rather than take a hit! He's just trying to preserve himself for an NFL career. Wake up Jake - that isn't gonna happen boy! (unless you start to get some heart, somewhere)

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Obviously the U has moved on. The U's football program has proven itself with 2 BCS wins and the out right dominance they showed over a weak, confused and out manned BYU team. As for the Y, well better fly the Y flags at half mast because BYU's best days are in the rear view mirror. Yikes, BYU is BAD! How long before they simply cancel the program along with swimming and track? Can only be the laughing stock for so long....

• bookonwomen Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:37 a.m.

BYU fans, things went bad in this game but BYU will bounce back and have some nice wins this season.

• fan29 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Not sure this team can win the 6 games required to go bowling. I only see 5 more possible wins ahead for BYU and they need the Utah State game in 2 weeks to have a chance, and I don't think they will win that game. The only wins I see are the WAC (or Big Sky) Idaho, Idaho State, San Jose State & New Mexico State all powerhouses at home. BYU has scored 40 points in 3 games, they use to average 40 a game a few years back. Bronco say's Donman is one the best creative offense minds in college today, give me a break. This offense wouldn't even be used in the High Schools today! BYU had better apply for membership into the Big Sky Conference. I don't think Utah is much better than BYU. They just had more "HEART" They will struggle in the Pac 12, Winn isn't that good!

• leonard Oakley, ID
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:33 a.m.

One game is not the season. BYU needs our support more than ever. Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can become great.

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Now that was a Pac-12 team beating up on a Mountain West, er Independent, team. Nothing new here. If this was the old Mountain West then Utah would have one more big game. But in the Pac-12, they still must play ASU, Arizona, UCLA, Washington, Cal, etc. You get the point. There are no New Mexicos, UNLVs, Colorado States, Wyomings. Big difference. Congratulations Utah. Maybe it is time to end the series with BYU.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Besides the game... BYU needs to get control of their stadium. Two points:
    1. I sat between the BYU and Utah bands. Both bands were playing at the same time! Constantly. It was awful. Security said many had complained. That was nonsense. Put them at opposite ends of the stadium and don't one play when the other plays. Simple good taste, decorum and decency to the thousands.

2. With all the new ESPN money pouring in, is it really needed to totally commercialize every aspect of the game? Yes, you can do it, but just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Besides the "JUMBotron" that is surrounded by flashing advertising so much as to diminish the picture... Besides ads plastered everywhere on the field sidelines... don't ruin the game with "it's time for another **** 3rd down" What's next, "this touchdown was brought to you by ***" And "that fumble was caused by the influence of ***" The lengthy timeouts ruin the flow of the game but I'll put up with that if you stop the "monetizing" of everything else.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Excellent analysis, Dick. As a total BYU supporter I congratulate the Utes on playing very good football. As to BYU, I refused to watch bad football anymore and left in the 4th when Heaps came out again. Why would Doman not give someone else a chance? No doubt that terrific pass to Apo for BYU's only TD kept running through his mind. Nice pass, great catch. But... learn from Texas. When their starter stunk, they pulled him. "Might hurt his confidence?" So what. It's a team game. Play the team approach and put in the guys who will play and through toward receivers not 10 feet in front of their feet or 20 feet over their heads.

This debacle was the worst BYU game I've seen in 40 years. Heads should roll.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:58 a.m.

It is kinda of hard to find a silver lining in this for BYU. Things were pretty shaky in those first two games, but maybe it takes a blowout like this to create a sense of urgency. I suspect Bronco will tell the team its time to put away the slogans, the hype, and the happy talk about ESPN and do the hard work it takes to compete. I hope when we play them next they have their act together. I really enjoy beating BYU, but not like this.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:33 a.m.

this debacle was a combination of things resulting in one of the worst nights in BYU athletics history.

1. 7 turn overs? Really? I think Utah must have thought Christmas had come in September they were given so many gifts right down near the goal line. How to explain it? Lousy and sub par mental prep for the game.Blame both coaches and players.
    2. The U steam rolled the Y.. period. The line play was a complete mismatch. The U's O-line dominated the Y D-line and the Y O-line once again was slow and sluggish resulting in no running game. Mark Lyons said before the game that BYU needed a running game in the worst way but none showed up for the third game in a row. Blame the O-line along with sub-par talent at the running back position.
    3. BYU's D-line was .. an embarrassment. No pressure on Wynn. A high school QB could have thrown for 300 yards in this game. Blame poor coaching and lack of talent.

Overall the BYU football program is in trouble - much worse than last year. Fan support will dwindle - 100% guaranteed.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:32 a.m.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Season over. Nothing can redeem the Cougars after this. Jake the over hyped Heaps will go down in BYU lore as one of the biggest busts at QB in BYU history.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:13 a.m.

I think the thing that is the most upsetting to me is how the whole team gave up so early in the game. This team needs to look at this and figure this out.

Now, this team has a choice to make, either this will be a stepping stone or a stumbling block for the rest of the year. You have to decide now on how to react to this.

To a BYU fan, the whole game was like a very terrible train wreck in slow motion and I bet it was the same for the team and coaches.

The defense played well - Until They Gave Up. The offense, well, needs some special help.

This team needs to be dressed down by Bronco The coaching staff needs it also. Also, the players do not need to be talking to the media anymore.

Bronco, it is time to take the lead on this team among the coaches and direct them on what to do. It looks like some of the coaches are in a bit above their heads. If the coaches need to learn, then teach them.

Go Cougars!

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:59 a.m.

In my 40 years at BYU, I cannot remember a more embarrassing display of disorganized, unprepared, sloppy, and uninspired play. The vaunted BYU offense that has earned so much respect over the years is now a memory. I personally think the mistake began years ago when everyone clamored for and got the release of Norm Chow. Since he has been gone, we have only had smatterings of good offense, but never a consistent year in and year out showing of precision and effective play making.

I feel bad for the defense who were finally worn out and then made their own mistakes. They obviously wanted this game more than the offense and started to overplay in effort to close the gap.

BYU better shape up or when the super conferences are in place, they're going to be left out with all the other mediocre teams in the country.

• HighlandsHome Highland, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Well, for all of my friends who use to sit in their armchairs and knowingly go on and on and on about how Norm Chow was our biggest problem and needing to be canned, I gotta say, I think he was vindicated last night.
    Also have to say that if I hear Bronco use any form of the word "execute" one more time, I'll throw up. From his usage I think what it means is, "Our guys know in theory how to play this game, we just don't know how to actually play it on the field." Yeah, no kidding.
    It seems like every year its the same, lots of promise, lots of hype, some really cool posters and billboards, then, the gonzo music from The Price is Right. C'mon guys.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:36 a.m.

This forum is rally quiet this morning. The BYU Utah game said it all last night. BYU is totally deflated and disgraced on national TV in it's first home game of the season by Lil Ol Utah. There is no evidence that BYU is on it's way to greatness, even here in the mountain west. We have been caught on ESPN with our pants down.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:29 a.m.

Thanks Dick, for you candor.

I am an active member of the Church. It is time for the BYU fan base to face facts though, the weakness of BYU's schedule has covered up essential program weaknesses for many, many years and allowed the fans to think the program is much better than it really is. BYU will still do no worse than 8-4 this season. They would 1-7 in SEC conference play this year with only moderately improved results in other BCS conferences.

BYU should focus on it's mission as a university. Football greatness or the inane arrogance that passes for it coming out of Provo, isn't a required part of that mission. BYU should announce their plans to deemphadize or disband their program now.

As for the ESPN contract, it was about buying a market (LDS fans) and they believed just enough of the hype to believe that it would work too.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:18 a.m.

The entire byu team just had a Max Hall moment. How many turnovers 3 years ago?

Byu's goal was to crash bcs this year (just like the utes had done- twice). Utah's goal is to win pac12 south.
    After 3 games, who is closer to both of those goals?

And murphy, whose dream it was to Play in pac12, left byu for utah and scores a big td.

Byu continues to wish they were the UTES.

• Lee Corso American Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:01 a.m.

Well just like you all of you Cougar fans I was buying into the hype all summer out of Provo. New OC, 10 returning starters, fast paced offense, stretch the field, go back to the glory years of BYU footbal. Well NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS. Clearly Bronco made a huge blunder with the Anae/Doman move and Heaps has enough games behind him now to clearly show he isn't the answer. So from one coach to another I recommend Bronco start exploring other options at QB in preparing for the 2012 season as ESPN made a huge investment in you guys.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:55 a.m.

One thing is for certain, the MWC is forever grateful that BYU is no longer part of their conference. That INDEPENDENT thing is working out nicely!!

• Conservative Democrat Omaha, NE
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:31 a.m.

@David. Double-check your facts - Nelson wasn't benched until he was injured. For everyone else, BYU's problem boiled down to ball handling - bad snaps, poor ball protection, poor kick receptions, poor decision making when ball was on the field instead of a player's hands. Jake Heaps needs to be reminded that a yardage loss or a safety is better than a defensive touchdown. He also needs to scan coverage better rather than trying to thread the needle to get the 9-11 connection every time (if there's three guys on Apo, somebody else is open. If he doesn't change the second behavior, put in Nelson or Lark. Doman's mistake was sticking to his game plan until it was unwinnable rather than pulling some in-practice-only (AKA sandlot) plays out of Norm Chow's playbook (halfback snaps, flea-flickers, etc). BYU can only win if they control the ball, execute, and score. Tehy didn't do any of the above last night.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:19 a.m.

Pathetic showing all around by BYU. Fire Doman NOW. I never liked the idea of hiring an untested, inexperienced OC to run the BYU offense. Even Texas was smart enough to hire an ex-BSU OC. And I say Bronco should stay at DC where he likes to be and we should hire a real head coach. Bronco's side also did poorly so put him on notice, too. Our Athletic leaders at BYU just lack ambition and vision - stop hiring fireside coaches and get someone who can take us finally to the next level. Or take us off national TV. Embarrassing...

Congrats to Utah - I have lots of Ute friends. But one thing leaves me perplexed: how you can be LDS and "HATE" your church school?? Let's leave the word "Hate" out of it. Never met a Catholic who hated Notre Dame. Grow up and show some maturity!!

• Waipahuboy WAIPAHU, HI
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:02 a.m.

I'm happy for Norm....must feel vindication for being passed over @ BYU-Provo all those years ago, criticized by Cougar Nation for his offensive playcalling. "The game has passed him by" was the incessant chorus since he was run out of Provo. Well, I'm terribly embarrassed to be a BYU fan.

Bet ESPN and the Big 12 are having second thoughts on their respective decisions now. The worldwide leader was also prescient in publishing a story on their website about the Utah football program, going forward, being superior to BYU's. Again, embarrassing to be Blue.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:59 a.m.

I think Bronco should be given a contract extension.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:10 a.m.

I'm a BYU grad with three degrees . . . and consider this the worst showing of any team that I have seen since I set foot on the Provo campus in 1963!

Fortunately, I don't get too excited about football - although my wife and I did spend a few bucks to go to Oxford, MS for that game.

ESPN must be totally embarrassed about the Cougars. I certainly am!

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:07 a.m.

way to go Utes !

• Boomer Chicago, IL
    Sept. 18, 2011 4:59 a.m.

Yes, it must be great to be on ESPN on a regular basis and the money is much better now, I am sure. But this is what I wouldn't like if I was a BYU fan: The football team really has nothing to play for now, except pride. At least while in the Mountain West, they could still have their sights set on a conference championship. They could be gearing up for Boise St, et al, for some very meaningful games. But, no. Sometimes in the midst of all of the exposure and money, we lose sight that these games are about the young athletes.

• CoachWinWA POULSBO, WA
    Sept. 18, 2011 3:35 a.m.

Mendenhall and BYU may need to rethink the football #5 on the list.
    It probably should be that low, but when you preach it, you play like it. As the head coach, if you tell the team football isnt important, they will bail on you in the middle of the 3rd quarter when its no longer fun.

BYU schemes on offense are behind the times. You dont have to meet with great football minds to learn from them. Everything OC's do is on display every week. I don't see BYUs offensive schemes improving. They have actually been stagnant. If Doman thinks he needs to be on the sideline to be a cheerleader instead of in the booth, he doesnt understand what modern OC's do. Its a chess game. You study the defense and find the holes. You cant do that from the sideline. Domans current execution level in terms of getting plays in, communication with the team on the field, play and game clock management, tempo and play calling is about High School level, and some High Schools execute it better. You cant submarine a highly successful program to provide on the job training to a green OC.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:34 a.m.

bronco clearly acknowledged what happened to the coaches, players and execution. Now hoping he clearly makes the necessary changes and not cower or try to make work what he, at one time commissioned(because of his pride). Clearly, the better team won and clearly, the correct team was picked up by the PAC 12. Which brings me to my last point. CLEARLY, I am no longer making anymore donations to byu's athletic program until bronco is gone....or...he start making winning football games as his #1 priority.

• WaddupUCE BEVERLY HILLS, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:10 a.m.

Why didn't they try to keep Anae knowing they'll have the talent to go places this year? 10 returning starters, Apo and Hoffman as go to receivers, Heaps with a year experience and a defense that is really good? On top of that, why did they hire an inexperience OC in Doman!?

I'm a BYU hater, but I still question the coaching moves by Mendenhall (mainly the Anae move)

• troutman Washington, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:06 a.m.

I agree Mormon Ute.....All summer long in our State all we heard about was how good BYU was going to be. We shouldn't be surprised though being that the Media in this State is Biased towards BYU and Utah. Poor Weber , SUU, and Utah State are just plain lucky to get any press. If it wasn't for Rod Zundel Utah State would not have any press.

I really don't think Jake Heaps is all that good. I think he has been over-hyped his whole career! Maybe someday he will turn out to be good, but what I have seen since last year is not all that good. Who has he beat that is any good? Mississippi is not a good team even if they are SEC. The games he won last year were against very poor teams in CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, UNLV, etc. Heck the Bowl game against UTEP.....UTEP is not that good. So to me, Heaps has not beat a team that is better than average! Maybe this year is the year that my Utah State aggies finally win in Provo since they last did in 1978. But then again, it is in Provo!

• David R. SLC, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:02 a.m.

Heaps has shown zero heart. He may look great on paper, but paper doesn't translate to heart. I'm all for giving James Lark and Riley Nielsen a chance. Why not? There is nothing to play for at this point.

One thing I can assure you of is that if Lark or Riley had played this poorly in their first three games they would be benched.

Riley was benched after three games last year. Heaps has been so hyped that it's as if he can't be benched.

Maybe there is a reason Anae and now Doman look so bad, maybe the reason is Heaps.

I remember John Walsh. He was so hyped, he even left early for the NFL. But he didn't do anything for BYU. He had no heart.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:42 a.m.

To me it seems that BYU's players, coaches and fans are guilty of believing their own press clippings. The hype that has surrounded Jake Heaps and Brandon Doman all summer hasn't panned out.

I sincerely hope the coaches and players figure things out and can somehow salvage the rest of the season.

Obviously raw talent isn't everything. You have to have coaches who know what to do with that talent. Amongst all the coaches and players Doman talked to in developing his scheme, maybe he should have talked to Robert Anae and Norm Chow. They seem to have had a little success with it.

• essay Redwood Valley, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:39 a.m.

Just as Mendenhall fired defensive coordinator Jaime Hill last year, get rid of Doman, he's in over his head.

• WaddupUCE BEVERLY HILLS, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:33 a.m.

You and your little fans called for Anae's job, live with it! LOL!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:30 a.m.

I want more quotes from the coaches. Or maybe they are finally wise enough to stop talking. Jake Heaps needs to play first and talk second. Same with the rest of the team.

I can't imagine being a defensive player on this team. After three games of horrible offense the D just couldn't keep it going in the second half.

So many returning starters on offense...where did it go so wrong?

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:29 a.m.

Yes, you were. And before the game, too. Your players weren't ready, obviously. Get Doman into the Press Box. Spend Friday nights preparing for the game.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:20 a.m.

football is a violent sport that seems to bring out the worst in all of us...this loss is a good bugle call for me to move on to better things.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:16 a.m.

1st things first....Congrats Utah, clearly the better team won...which by the way is the same team that was correctly taken by the PAC 12.

As to bronco...No, really? If you can actually make that statement, then you should know that only you can make the changes. Start with putting your o coordinator up in the booth, take that overrated qb out & try, try...well, try anyone other then mr overrated. oh & during football season, coaches and players should stay & work longer..& when kids are preping more for firesides then the game, it screams your team is NOT ready to win. stop the antics and just play and for goodness sakes...why does your team look stagnant or soft the last two minutes before half? pathetic coaching and if you're tired of coaching, quit already and give someone else a chance.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:11 a.m.

"Band of Bunglers"?

Et tu, Harmon? But it's a good one for us Ute fans to remember.

As these games have names, i.e., 34-31, Harline Is Still Open, Magic Happens, BCS-bound Blowouts, Burton's Block, etc, may I humbly suggest: "Brandon's Blueberry Turnovers."

OK, maybe not.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:06 a.m.

Congratulations to the Utes for an impressive showing tonight. Cougar nation is a little shell-shocked, confused, and searching for meaning to our season. That being said, we tip our hats and wish our brothers up on the hill a successful remainder of the season in the PAC 12. Show them that you belong there among the elite programs. We'll get you next year ;)

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:01 a.m.

Wow. Never thought I would say this about Harmon. Nailed it!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:50 a.m.

You gotta admire Bronco for his candid statement at the end of the article.

• Webby46 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:41 a.m.

NO WAY!!! Dick Harmon, the biggest BYU homer of all time, actually eating crow??!! And writing about something other than BYU's this and that!!! Wow I guess there is a first for everything..........